PDA

View Full Version : Osweiler and 2nd Rd pick to Browns

Sparkey
03-09-2017, 02:53 PM
lol Its an NBA level salary dump and a great move by Cleveland.

Teamcheez1
03-09-2017, 02:55 PM
Why did this need a separate thread on a Packers forum?

Don't do it again.

Tony Oday
03-09-2017, 03:12 PM
Do it as much as you want, the 5 people that post here can get over it.

Wow a second for a salary dump.

pbmax
03-09-2017, 03:26 PM
They got completely taken. Osweiler is terrible, not sure even QB whisperer Hue Jackson can fix him.

Or this:

Mike Tanier @MikeTanier 25m25 minutes ago
I like the Osweiler deal from the #texans side, in that "we've found a rope to climb out of this pit" sort of way.

EDIT: IGNORE MY STUPIDITY. THOUGHT THE BROWNS TRADED THE PICK. NICE MOVE BY BROWNS TO PICK UP A 2ND AND SPEND SOME SPACE THEY GET BACK NEXT YEAR.

Sparkey
03-09-2017, 03:54 PM
Thing is, Cleveland has so much cap room it would be hard to spend it without significantly over paying a lot of players. This way they get a 2nd and a 6th for a 4th and take a 16million cap hit if they cut him. Plus limit the salary structure impact of overpaying too many average guys in FA. It does nothing to hurt their team this year, but enhances their roster by adding a potentially high 2nd rd pick in 18.

Heard they are now trying to move him for a 3rd and are willing to eat half his contract. Maybe trying to get Jimmy Garoppolo from the Pats via the extra picks?

Carolina_Packer
03-09-2017, 09:39 PM
Your on something, I mean, you're on to something: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/09/with-extra-second-rounder-browns-will-now-try-to-get-garoppolo/

Smidgeon
03-09-2017, 10:49 PM
Personally, I think the move is more genius than it is idiotic. They have cap space to burn (and a minimum floor to spend), and they get a round 2 draft pick out of it. Regardless of what they do with that pick, they added two kinds of value: eating up cap space and adding a draft pick.

Very outside the box, but bold.

I wonder if the Browns are actually going to not be the Browns for long. Who will be the new Browns? The Jets?

Fritz
03-10-2017, 06:32 AM
Wait, so the Texans sent Osweiler and a second round pick to the Browns for . . . ? Nothing?

esoxx
03-10-2017, 07:25 AM
Personally, I think the move is more genius than it is idiotic. They have cap space to burn (and a minimum floor to spend), and they get a round 2 draft pick out of it. Regardless of what they do with that pick, they added two kinds of value: eating up cap space and adding a draft pick.

Very outside the box, but bold.

I wonder if the Browns are actually going to not be the Browns for long. Who will be the new Browns? The Jets?

The Bears.

esoxx
03-10-2017, 07:29 AM
On a side note, I'm thinking of getting a larger avatar.

Zool
03-10-2017, 08:15 AM
Wait, so the Texans sent Osweiler and a second round pick to the Browns for . . . ? Nothing?

The Texans got a pick and $16M

Deputy Nutz
03-10-2017, 08:24 AM
Wow, Cleveland and the Texans are starting to think outside the box.

Guiness
03-10-2017, 08:39 AM
Bold move by the Browns. Seems they could've gotten better value by signing some middle of the road FA's to plug holes, but what do I know. I don't like or dislike the move....BUT:

What is making me crazy though is everyone over-stating what the Browns received. It's always "Texans traded Brock and a 2nd rounder to the Browns". No, they traded next year's second rounder, and got this year's 4th rounder from the Browns. /nocontext

I've heard when using the trade value chart you de-rate a pick for every year away it is, i.e. the second round pick from next year would be valued the same as a third round pick this year. If that's the case, the Browns actually only move up about half a round - from the middle of the third (where the Texans will probably be next year, but could be lower) to the first pick of the 4th.

Is $16M a fair price to move up half a round? I don't know, there's no precedent. But dammit, stop saying they got a second round pick!

Guiness
03-10-2017, 08:42 AM
Does anyone have thoughts on what happened with Osweiller? He played decently enough when Peyton was down, didn't he? I know the defense was winning the games, but he was also not losing them. Last year this time we were talking about the Texans stealing him away from the Broncos, who were making a good offer to him to stay.

:huh:

pbmax
03-10-2017, 08:48 AM
Only problem with the Browns move is the price they paid, $16 mil., did not net them a clean #2 pick. They gave some back.

Browns get Texans' 2018 second-round pick and a 2017 sixth-round pick (No. 188 overall). Houston will get Browns' 2017 fourth-round pick (No. 142).

So Browns get a 6th rounder this year for losing their 4th rounder this year AND get a future 2nd rounder (2018).

hoosier
03-10-2017, 09:25 AM
I always thought if you traded someone you had to absorb the remainder of his cap number. Was I just wrong or did the rules change?

Sparky is right, this is the NFL becoming the NBA. And not in a good way.

texaspackerbacker
03-10-2017, 09:39 AM
They got completely taken. Osweiler is terrible, not sure even QB whisperer Hue Jackson can fix him.

Or this:

Mike Tanier @MikeTanier 25m25 minutes ago
I like the Osweiler deal from the #texans side, in that "we've found a rope to climb out of this pit" sort of way.

EDIT: IGNORE MY STUPIDITY. THOUGHT THE BROWNS TRADED THE PICK. NICE MOVE BY BROWNS TO PICK UP A 2ND AND SPEND SOME SPACE THEY GET BACK NEXT YEAR.

I agree with you said - before you changed your mind and went bold. The Texans got out from under a bad bad contract. The only way Cleveland breaks even or better is if Osweiler snaps out of it and becomes decent - which I really doubt happens. You have to wonder where the Browns stand with the cap in light of this as well as the Zeitler and Tretter deals and whatever else they are paying for.

hoosier
03-10-2017, 10:49 AM
Only problem with the Browns move is the price they paid, $16 mil., did not net them a clean #2 pick. They gave some back.

Browns get Texans' 2018 second-round pick and a 2017 sixth-round pick (No. 188 overall). Houston will get Browns' 2017 fourth-round pick (No. 142).

So Browns get a 6th rounder this year for losing their 4th rounder this year AND get a future 2nd rounder (2018).

But what if they succeed in getting a 3 for Osweiler from someone after agreeing to take on some significant portion of his salary? (Can they do that?) And who would be so dumb as to give up a third for Osweiler, you ask? Well, if the Redskins end up giving in to Cousins' trade demand, they aren't known for placing a high value on draft picks.

bobblehead
03-10-2017, 10:53 AM
Somewhere I read that the browns were looking to dump Osweiler for a thrid, but would eat half his salary. Completely unsubstantiated rumor and I have no clue if that is next years salary or what.

woodbuck27
03-10-2017, 11:35 AM
Why did this need a separate thread on a Packers forum?

Don't do it again.

Way to go and promoting this place and new members. :whaa:

You have an easy out.

Admit your post was 'a joke'.

woodbuck27
03-10-2017, 11:52 AM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18865517/houston-texans-trade-brock-osweiler-2018-second-round-pick-cleveland-browns

Texans trade Brock Osweiler, 2018 second-round pick to Browns

Essentially this looks like Houston got rid of an in effective QB and Cap space (save $10 million in salary-cap space and $16 million in cash this season); to make room for the rumoured move of Tony Romo from Dallas to Houston.

Cleveland goes with a wish and a prayer for an upgrade at the QB position and in that process pays $16 Million$ for a second round draft pick in 2018.

What is the future and this trade for either team?

pffffffff !

Sparkey
03-10-2017, 02:02 PM
I think the move is about the draft. Having the ability to move up, if need be, with the xtra 2nd rounder in 2018. If I read correctly, the Browns now have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds of each of the next 2 years drafts. There are some potentially good qb's in next years draft.

Bossman641
03-10-2017, 03:22 PM
It's an interesting move. As others have said, this kind of thing is done all the time in the NBA but almost never in the NFL. The interesting thing will be if the Browns can flip Osweiler for any other picks while eating some of his salary.

If they can flip him for a 4th and eat half of his $16M salary, they'll have effectively traded a 4th + $8M for a 4th + 6th + 2nd in 2018.

red
03-10-2017, 03:25 PM
this was just a great trade by both sides

i think i've mentioned in the past that i was surprised we don't see more of this in the nfl

3irty1
03-10-2017, 03:29 PM
this was just a great trade by both sides

i think i've mentioned in the past that i was surprised we don't see more of this in the nfl

Ya ditto.

The Browns might have this rebuilding thing figured out. Makes sense it'd be them to innovate in the area of sucking on purpose.

KYPack
03-10-2017, 05:35 PM
Before the pulled this shit, they should have flown Osweiler in to Cleveland.

Walk him down to the shore of Erie and see if he could hit the water.

red
03-10-2017, 06:31 PM

i don't think they plan on keeping him

KYPack
03-10-2017, 06:40 PM
i don't think they plan on keeping him

You could well be right, Red.

There are a lot of crazy moves going on.

I really don't like to see us make moves during stupid money time, but this year, you have to do something.

woodbuck27
03-10-2017, 08:04 PM

You hit the nail on the head there KY. I wonder what his wife says about him missing the toilet bowl?

He looked great last season at throwing the ball to the receivers feet. Osweiler needs a head coach. The Cleveland Browns still need a QB.

Fritz
03-11-2017, 07:56 AM
You hit the nail on the head there KY. I wonder what his wife says about him missing the toilet bowl?

He looked great last season at throwing the ball to the receivers feet. Osweiler needs a head coach. The Cleveland Browns still need a QB.

That's some funny stuff right there, Woody.