PDA

View Full Version : Cook and Packers Have Broken Off Talks

pbmax
03-10-2017, 08:48 AM
Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter
Contract talks between the Packers and free-agent TE Jared Cook have broken off, per source. Cook expected to visit other teams.

Upnorth
03-10-2017, 08:52 AM
not good

King Friday
03-10-2017, 09:11 AM
Thompson is just too damn cheap to be running an NFL team these days. There is no doubt Cook wants to be in Green Bay...and our offense was only remarkable when he was on the field. Get it done.

pbmax
03-10-2017, 09:12 AM
not good

Basic disagreement over deal. Packers saying if you can get this price on open market, go ahead. Packers have room, I doubt they are trying to squeeze him. He might be looking for last big multi-year deal.

Its not over yet, like Pickett or Woodson, if they find a higher market, they can bring that back to the Packers.

gbgary
03-10-2017, 09:18 AM
:shock: :wait::shtf:

Teamcheez1
03-10-2017, 10:43 AM
I'm not sure what to read into this without knowing the numbers and contract lengths being thrown around.

I wouldn't be surprised if the agent asked for an outrageous dollar amount right upfront to see if the Packers would blink.
Jack Doyle (Colts) is projected to make $8M in 2017, $5.25M in 2018, $5.65M in 2019.
Not sure what Jermaine Gresham (Cardinals) signed for yet.
I certainly don't believe Cook is worth more than either of these two players.

This may be part of the game, but I guess time will tell.

bobblehead
03-10-2017, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure what to read into this without knowing the numbers and contract lengths being thrown around.

This...and add in that Cook has never looked so good as when Arod was tossing the pigskin. We all thought Cobb was a must sign as well.

woodbuck27
03-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter
Contract talks between the Packers and free-agent TE Jared Cook have broken off, per source. Cook expected to visit other teams.

There is one thing we may all be assured:

Ted Thompson will never suffer the financial woes of Oliver "Daddy" Warbucks on the Green Bay Packers. Ted only knows one game:

Playing it safe and that game never wins big.

Is that English clear enough for your impeccable taste pbmax?

Gotarace
03-10-2017, 11:38 AM
With the crazy cash getting thrown around today Cook is exploring his options on the open market. If he makes it though the first few days of free agency Jared will be wearing the Green and Gold for the next 4-5 years.

woodbuck27
03-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Thompson is just too damn cheap to be running an NFL team these days. There is no doubt Cook wants to be in Green Bay...and our offense was only remarkable when he was on the field. Get it done.

That would be too obvious for TT to see with his ego and minding the safe.

Bossman641
03-10-2017, 01:04 PM

Cook's agent is apparently asking for $8M+ a year, which would put him in top 6 TE pay. I like Cook but there's no way he's a top 6 player. I think the agent will go out, see there's not interest at that price point and the Packers will get him for between 6-7M a year.

Rutnstrut
03-10-2017, 01:39 PM
Cook's agent is apparently asking for $8M+ a year, which would put him in top 6 TE pay. I like Cook but there's no way he's a top 6 player. I think the agent will go out, see there's not interest at that price point and the Packers will get him for between 6-7M a year.

And when this too blows up in Ted's face? They will once again be absolutely fucked at TE.

Carolina_Packer
03-10-2017, 01:58 PM
R-E-L-A-X...it's business. If they are willing to let him shop around and set his market, and give Green Bay right of first refusal, they are still in good shape.

Teamcheez1
03-10-2017, 02:09 PM
And when this too blows up in Ted's face? They will once again be absolutely fucked at TE.

So if Cook was asking for a 3 year $24M contract with $16M guaranteed, you think TT should step right up and sign him? This is all conjecture, but I bet the agent may have even asked for more.

hoosier
03-10-2017, 02:17 PM
So if Cook was asking for a 3 year $24M contract with $16M guaranteed, you think TT should step right up and sign him? This is all conjecture, but I bet the agent may have even asked for more.

If TT weren't so cheap and so full of himself and so in love with his own draft picks he would offer Cook all of that and then some more: how about $36M for three years?

3irty1
03-10-2017, 02:22 PM
We want him here, he wants to be here, this is just negotiation chicken IMO. Dude is what he is which is a low-end starter TE who can make some mismatches. Everyone knew he'd have his best year with Rodgers throwing him the ball, but its not like he put on a show. For 31 teams in the league he's worth 4M or 5M. He needs this worse than GB does. Wait him out.

Bossman641
03-10-2017, 03:16 PM

You can't just pay any player whatever he wants. You'd be the first one in line to call TT an idiot for overpaying.

red
03-10-2017, 03:31 PM
yup, couldn't get this deal done, but damnit, we did get guion to redo his deal freeing up 100K in cap space that we'll never use

priorities people

Teamcheez1
03-10-2017, 03:37 PM
yup, couldn't get this deal done, but damnit, we did get guion to redo his deal freeing up 100K in cap space that we'll never use

priorities people

Guion was a phone call from TT telling his agent that he either restructured or he would be on the street. Not much choice there.

gbgary
03-10-2017, 03:45 PM
the Packers HAVE to face the fact that they'll have to over pay some to get the free agents they want. it's not exactly the entertainment capital of the world so you have to give the ONLY incentive you really have to attract people...and that's money. when you have a qb like Rodgers you have to go the extra mile (or dollar). go into cheap mode and fix it later when he's gone.

Joemailman
03-10-2017, 04:30 PM
A little perspective: Last year the Packers signed Jared Cook on March 28.

red
03-10-2017, 04:33 PM
A little perspective: Last year the Packers signed Jared Cook on March 28.

and this year the packers will loose him well before march 28

KYPack
03-10-2017, 05:23 PM
It's agent talk, Red.

Guy missed six games with injury. 30 catches, one touchdown.

A five year deal? He won't be playing after two seasons.

I'd sign him for a two year deal, he's a physical monster.

But we have to dick around playing contract games first.

Bretsky
03-10-2017, 06:58 PM
Cook wanted back in GB...but he really didn't

He wanted the max money he could get and hoped GB would give him that

I'm fine moving on given we got somebody with similar talent.

KYPack
03-10-2017, 07:02 PM
Shit is flying in the off-season.

My reply to Red was rendered stupid in 90 minutes.

red
03-10-2017, 07:23 PM
this whole day makes since if while negotiating with cooks agent, TT gets a call from bennetts agent, saying bennett is looking for a total less then what cooks asking

talks broke down with cook because they knew they had bennett for cheaper

red
03-10-2017, 07:24 PM
Shit is flying in the off-season.

My reply to Red was rendered stupid in 90 minutes.

no more then any other year, we're just involved early this year

so its finally fun for us too

KYPack
03-10-2017, 07:45 PM
no more then any other year, we're just involved early this year

so its finally fun for us too

Yep, the season started today.

Big time.

Freak Out
03-10-2017, 10:23 PM
Sounds like Cook (agent) fucked this up.

Joemailman
03-10-2017, 10:26 PM
Sounds like Cook (agent) fucked this up.

I agree. He could end up playing with another mediocre QB.

pbmax
03-10-2017, 10:54 PM
There is one thing we may all be assured:

Ted Thompson will never suffer the financial woes of Oliver "Daddy" Warbucks on the Green Bay Packers. Ted only knows one game:

Playing it safe and that game never wins big.

Is that English clear enough for your impeccable taste pbmax?

Looks good Ed. :D

Martellus might have something to say about playing it safe though. ;-)

pbmax
03-10-2017, 10:57 PM
and this year the packers will loose him well before march 28

You at least got this correct. :D

Bretsky
03-11-2017, 01:04 AM

first time for everything...lol

Fritz
03-11-2017, 07:30 AM

Your scrotum shriveled up pretty quick there, Rut.

You willing to man up and admit you were wrong about "when this blows up in Ted's face"?

Bossman641
03-11-2017, 08:01 AM
Packers apparently offered more years and a higher salary to cook than they did Bennet. Will be interesting to see what he ultimately signs for. I think he fucked up big time.

red
03-11-2017, 08:20 AM

first time for everything...lol

fuck you both

King Friday
03-11-2017, 08:53 AM
Packers apparently offered more years and a higher salary to cook than they did Bennet. Will be interesting to see what he ultimately signs for. I think he fucked up big time.

If the Packers offered more than what they paid Bennett...and Cook turned it down...he's probably feeling rather stupid right now. The market for his services just dried up rather quickly when the hungriest team in the market for a TE just signed another guy for less.

Fritz
03-11-2017, 09:09 AM
fuck you both

This is why I like both you and Bretsky, you old drunken ape. I disagree with about 80% of what you guys post, but when Ted does something different than you say he would, you two man up. That's what makes for a real back-and-forth - letting the facts inform opinions.

And boy oh boy, ol' Jared wanted to come back so he could be the number one TE and play with a great QB in an organization with a shot at a SB. How long is that list of teams now?

KYPack
03-11-2017, 09:36 AM
Hey, wait a minute.

Think NE will sign Cook now?

Joemailman
03-11-2017, 09:43 AM
Hey, wait a minute.

They've already traded for the Colts' Dwayne Allen. Signing Cook would be a lot of money tied up at the TE position.

red
03-11-2017, 09:45 AM
a "source with knowledge of the situation" just came out and said the packers were not offering cook more money the they gave bennett. they were offering 6 million a year (with lots of incentives), and bennetts official number will be 7 million per year with no "fluff"

no, who in the world would want everyone else to think the packers were offering more then 7 million for cook?

maybe a certain agent?

pbmax
03-11-2017, 09:55 AM
a "source with knowledge of the situation" just came out and said the packers were not offering cook more money the they gave bennett. they were offering 6 million a year (with lots of incentives), and bennetts official number will be 7 million per year with no "fluff"

no, who in the world would want everyone else to think the packers were offering more then 7 million for cook?

maybe a certain agent?

Where did you see this quote?

Joemailman
03-11-2017, 10:02 AM
Where did you see this quote?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/11/source-packers-didnt-offer-jared-cook-more-than-martellus-bennett/

First, the source insists that Bennett received three-year, $21 million package, a “clean” $7 million per year arrangement with no incentives or fluff. (The contract eventually will be filed and reported on, so the truth on that specific claim eventually will come out.) The source also says that the most the Packers offered Cook was $6 million per year, and that included incentives.

red
03-11-2017, 10:08 AM
what joe said

Bretsky
03-11-2017, 11:15 AM
Hey, wait a minute.

Am I the only one that would not be surprised to see them sign All Day Pederson ?
Look with Hoody Genius dud with Blount; thoughts to ponder.

pbmax
03-11-2017, 12:58 PM
Am I the only one that would not be surprised to see them sign All Day Pederson ?
Look with Hoody Genius dud with Blount; thoughts to ponder.

Read somewhere that they were not among the interested. Probably too much fumbling.

Joemailman
03-11-2017, 01:00 PM
Read somewhere that they were not among the interested. Probably too much fumbling.

Pass pro might also be an issue considering Brady's lack of mobility.

Joemailman
03-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Packers might not have seen the last of Cook. Bears and Lions are 2 teams reportedly interested.

Zool
03-11-2017, 10:41 PM
These threads are funny to read. So much hand wringing.

Fritz
03-12-2017, 09:02 AM
Or scrotum-grabbing.

pbmax
03-19-2017, 12:28 PM
Demovsky

Former Packers TE Jared Cook's two-year deal with the Raiders is officially $10.6 million. There's another $1.6...

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=210635158991403489160-4‬

Tony Oday
03-19-2017, 03:04 PM
Wow he lost a lot of cash being a dbag.

red
03-19-2017, 05:07 PM
Wow he lost a lot of cash being a dbag.

how so?

that sounds like it's close to what green bay was offering per year

green bay offered 6 per year which included lots of incentives