PDA

View Full Version : You Make the Call: House or Barwin

pbmax
03-11-2017, 11:02 AM
You Make the Call: House or Barwin

Assume you have money left for one more vet FA. Which direction do you go?

gbgary
03-11-2017, 11:06 AM
barwin. he's add some needed nastiness too.

Bretsky
03-11-2017, 11:08 AM
You Make the Call: House or Barwin

Assume you have money left for one more vet FA. Which direction do you go?

Here comes one of my favorite acronyms

YGBFKM !!!!!!!!!!

This is a no brainer; Barwin Barwin Barwin Barwin Barwin

Bretsky
03-11-2017, 11:09 AM
and if we don't get Lang we should have funds for both

Bretsky
03-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Ted kinds sucks at drafting defense; Ted can draft OL. I don't care much about Lacy either way.

Lang is one of my favorite players; but stacking our FA signings on defense the rest of the way might be wise

HarveyWallbangers
03-11-2017, 11:26 AM
Both

red
03-11-2017, 11:28 AM
i would say house. we already have a ton of money tied up at OLB, and i think we can get a good rotational guy in the draft

CB HAS to get fixed, and like i have aid over and over, the draft isn't gonna give us the out of the gate talent we need a CB

i don't even know if house is good enough if we are only allowed one more free agent

Joemailman
03-11-2017, 11:30 AM
Because the draft is so rich at CB, I'd go with Barwin. His numbers were down last year, but having to switch from 3-4 OLB to 4-3 DE might have been the reason.

Actually I think TT might have the cap room to sign both.

Bretsky
03-11-2017, 11:31 AM
i would say house. we already have a ton of money tied up at OLB, and i think we can get a good rotational guy in the draft

CB HAS to get fixed, and like i have aid over and over, the draft isn't gonna give us the out of the gate talent we need a CB

i don't even know if house is good enough if we are only allowed one more free agent

Exactly why you take Barwin you dumb ass !!! lol....he's a much better player.

Perry/Barwin/Matthews
That is the start to a dominant defense.

red
03-11-2017, 11:42 AM
Exactly why you take Barwin you dumb ass !!! lol....he's a much better player.

Perry/Barwin/Matthews
That is the start to a dominant defense.

no, thats about the same as what our pass rush was this last year, on a defense that was about as far away from dominate as it gets

and then you still have dud #1, dud #2, no more hyde, and then gunter trying to cover guys again.

how is that any better?

whats the point of a pass rush with randall playing 20 yards off the other teams #1 wr?

Bretsky
03-11-2017, 11:45 AM
no, thats about the same as what our pass rush was this last year, on a defense that was about as far away from dominate as it gets

and then you still have dud #1, dud #2, no more hyde, and then gunter trying to cover guys again.

how is that any better?

whats the point of a pass rush with randall playing 20 yards off the other teams #1 wr?

Barwin is a threat as a pass rusher; and frankly he's a good all around player who rarely gets hurt. And he brings attitude to a soft defense. He's what you want. House is a #3 CB.

Bretsky
03-11-2017, 11:47 AM

how is that any better?

Ted feels Perry will get better, Barwin is definitely better than our #3 Pass rusher last year....whoever that is........and the three of them rushing together is a thread. This is a Captain Obvious pick.

HW has the answer right though.

These are Ted's kind of free agents; you don't have to give up a draft pick for them.

red
03-11-2017, 11:48 AM
Barwin is a threat as a pass rusher; and frankly he's a good all around player who rarely gets hurt. And he brings attitude to a soft defense. He's what you want. House is a #3 CB.

peppers was a better threat as a pass rushed and a better all around player

so again, how does signing barwin and lossing peppers and keeping everything else the same make the defense any better?

we have to fix the main problem, the main problem is our secondary

Bretsky
03-11-2017, 11:52 AM

so again, how does signing barwin and lossing peppers and keeping everything else the same make the defense any better?

What did Peppers play; 1/2 the snaps ? I liked Peppers but dude needed to take a ton of time on the sideline to be effective in spurts. He's on his retirement tour

red
03-11-2017, 11:55 AM
What did Peppers play; 1/2 the snaps ? I liked Peppers but dude needed to take a ton of time on the sideline to be effective in spurts. He's on his retirement tour

you think barwin as the #3 is gonna play more then half

of course when perry reverts back to his old pre contract year injury plagued self, and clay being clay, barwin might play every sanp

and signing barwin would finally make many packers fans dreams come true by having the first all white LB corp in the nfl in 30 or 40 years

Joemailman
03-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Peppers was playing less than half of snap counts until injuries to Matthews and Peppers forced him to play more. Barwin can play full time which gives Packers the flexibility to move Matthews around. Barwin would be an upgrade.

bobblehead
03-11-2017, 12:42 PM

Hitting a QB tends to make avg. DBs into all pros.

pbmax
03-11-2017, 01:02 PM

red has been drinking just the right amount to get the answer correct. Need CB help more than pass rush.

Both? Sure. But that ain't the question in the poll.

pbmax
03-11-2017, 01:04 PM
Hitting a QB tends to make avg. DBs into all pros.

It does but Packers numbers in pressure were above average. CB play was much, much worse.

Can make up more ground solidifying the backend than by adding a marginal increase in pass rush.

Joemailman
03-11-2017, 01:06 PM
So...

Sign Davon House and draft T.J. Watt?

OR

Sign Connor Barwin and draft Sidney Jones?

pittstang5
03-11-2017, 01:25 PM
I want Barwin. Living in Eagles country, I remember a news story on Barwin that came out a year or two after he became an Eagle. I don't remember every detail, but I came away wishing he was a Packer. He is such a good player and even a more genuine person off the field. He reminds me of Aaron Kampman: Insane motor that never stops, gives 110% EVERY play and brings his lunch pail to work every single day. Off the field, he gives back to the community and was always involved with things going on in Philly. To me he screams Packer Person. It's a no brainer.

The Packers are going to have options to help the secondary in the draft. From what i've seen and read, this draft is stacked with DBs, which I can only guess is why Hyde was not retained - kudos to him by the way.

However, I think the signing of Perry, the potential in the draft and the curse of Bretsky solidifies that Barwin will not become a Packer. It doesn't seem like TTs style to devote alot of money to one position. I hope I'm wrong.

pbmax
03-11-2017, 01:34 PM
Barwin's last deal was 6 years and $36 million. Does he sign for between $4 or $5 mil per year?

House likely cheaper.

Bretsky
03-11-2017, 02:37 PM
Dear Captain Obvious...of course House is cheaper
Not many really care if they get House or not. He's a cool but whatever signing.

Barwin...no brainer

Bretsky
03-11-2017, 02:41 PM
I want Barwin. Living in Eagles country, I remember a news story on Barwin that came out a year or two after he became an Eagle. I don't remember every detail, but I came away wishing he was a Packer. He is such a good player and even a more genuine person off the field. He reminds me of Aaron Kampman: Insane motor that never stops, gives 110% EVERY play and brings his lunch pail to work every single day. Off the field, he gives back to the community and was always involved with things going on in Philly. To me he screams Packer Person. It's a no brainer.

The Packers are going to have options to help the secondary in the draft. From what i've seen and read, this draft is stacked with DBs, which I can only guess is why Hyde was not retained - kudos to him by the way.

However, I think the signing of Perry, the potential in the draft and the curse of Bretsky solidifies that Barwin will not become a Packer. It doesn't seem like TTs style to devote alot of money to one position. I hope I'm wrong.
\

From day one I expected TT to sign House, and I'm ok with that as a depth move but it doesn't excite me

I'm familiar with Barwin the person too. This is too dam easy. Of course...you are probably right here.

Bretsky
03-11-2017, 02:43 PM
So...

OR

you never have enough pass rushers.....or...CB's. BPA in the draft

HELL....wouldn't it be vintage TT to let Lang go and draft a OL in round one.....lol

Joemailman
03-11-2017, 03:12 PM
So...

OR

Damn. Didn't mean to jinx you Sidney. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000792534/article/washington-cb-sidney-jones-suffers-apparent-left-leg-injury

Pugger
03-11-2017, 03:54 PM
If we don't keep Lang and Lacy we could sign both?

red
03-11-2017, 04:04 PM
If we don't keep Lang and Lacy we could sign both?

honestly, we can probably sign them all, and still have some left over to roll into next year

SMBASS
03-11-2017, 04:06 PM
It it's either/or, I'd rather see Barwin added to the mix. We need to replace Peppers and Datone Jones on the outside and it would give us more flexibility with moving Clay inside or out. Plus he's a proven high effort vet and he played pretty well in a 3-4 D. Bring better pressure to help the backend of the defense out.

Upnorth
03-11-2017, 07:59 PM
Fuck the poll. Tt is drunk right now, sign barwin, sign house, draft watt, then trade up and draft jones.

Fritz
03-12-2017, 09:04 AM
Fuck the poll. Tt is drunk right now, sign barwin, sign house, draft watt, then trade up and draft jones.

Maybe Red is up in GB, pushing Ted back down into his Barcalounger, "No, Ted, don't get up. Have another swig of the Jack here. And I programmed Connor Barwin's agent into your speed dial."

pbmax
03-12-2017, 09:52 AM
Maybe Red is up in GB, pushing Ted back down into his Barcalounger, "No, Ted, don't get up. Have another swig of the Jack here. And I programmed Connor Barwin's agent into your speed dial."

Or some version of Saw. If Ted doesn't sign a FA/cut off a limb, red won't tell him where Brian Gutenkist is tied up.

red
03-12-2017, 12:18 PM
i like these ideas

red
03-12-2017, 12:38 PM
bring them both in now, and maybe sign another good CB

red
03-13-2017, 11:58 AM
Well, house is visiting the Steelers and barwin is in Cincinnati today

pbmax
03-13-2017, 12:02 PM
Well, house is visiting the Steelers and barwin is in Cincinnati today

I blame the 16 of you that voted for Barwin. You have hurt House's feelings.

Carolina_Packer
03-13-2017, 12:19 PM
For the poll, I said Barwin, because I think he's more of a difference maker. If the GM asked me what to do (right) I'd say see if you can fit them both under our cap this year. It gives you vets, one of which is going to help to move the QB's feet, which wasn't done very well by the end of the year when Perry was wearing a club, Clay's shoulder was a mess and Peppers was not as spicy as he once was. I know some hate the injury "excuse", but sometimes guys gutting it out to help the team aren't as effective as they normally would be. At this point in free agency, there probably isn't a guy to throw money at. I know there is another thread for this, but the more I think about it, Malcolm Butler for Green Bay's 1 this year might be just what the doctor ordered. Think how many times you've said "meh" about a first-rounder after they've been with the team a few years. To have a "broken in" cornerback who can legit cover the other team's number 1 receiver is worth the failure rate of first rounders.

red
03-13-2017, 01:24 PM
the problem with butler is that its not just as easy as flipping NE a first round pick

you still have to negotiate a long term deal for him, which will be nowhere close to cheap

if you can't come to a long term agreement with him, then you just spent a first round pick on a one year player

Bretsky
03-13-2017, 05:53 PM
the problem with butler is that its not just as easy as flipping NE a first round pick

you still have to negotiate a long term deal for him, which will be nowhere close to cheap

if you can't come to a long term agreement with him, then you just spent a first round pick on a one year player

IMO this discussion is a waste of time. TT is not going to pay 13MIL a year PLUS give up a 1st rounder.

Barwin is a realistic and at least a start. You guys know Free Agency is the season of disappointment :)

smuggler
03-13-2017, 10:38 PM
Bretsky nailed it. Case closed.

SMBASS
03-14-2017, 11:59 AM
Tom Silverstein‏Verified account @TomSilverstein 20s21 seconds ago
CB Davon House has agreed to one-year deal with the #Packers, according to a source.

Looks like House is in the, "house" for another year. I still want us to sign Barwin too.

Bub
03-14-2017, 12:05 PM
UPDATE: Silverstein further reports that the Packers increased their offer to House after his meeting in Pittsburgh. According to NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport, the deal will be worth approximately $3.5 million.

pbmax
03-14-2017, 02:55 PM
OK. I like this one for that money. Plays the style Capers wants. Gives them backup, could start if hard pressed, possibly might BE the starter if last year was some kind of coach induced anomaly.

So another Ted reputation bites the dust. He never signs middle of the road vets to fill a role.

Bretsky
03-14-2017, 07:06 PM
OK. I like this one for that money. Plays the style Capers wants. Gives them backup, could start if hard pressed, possibly might BE the starter if last year was some kind of coach induced anomaly.

So another Ted reputation bites the dust. He never signs middle of the road vets to fill a role.

Or maybe he's f'cked up so many times doing so he realizes it might be time to change.

Another ted reputation lives on...sign the guy who gets cut so no compensation......CONNOR BARWIN ...............HELLO TED ??

Teamcheez1
03-14-2017, 07:12 PM
Or maybe he's f'cked up so many times doing so he realizes it might be time to change.

Another ted reputation lives on...sign the guy who gets cut so no compensation......CONNOR BARWIN ...............HELLO TED ??

Barwin may very well be an option. 31 other teams haven't stepped up to offer him a contract yet.

pbmax
03-14-2017, 07:56 PM
Yep. If Barwin was going to get a no brainer deal in Cincy (where he visited) it would have happened already.

Packers have about cleared the decks of the FAs they had outstanding. Still money left for decent priced vet.

Pugger
03-14-2017, 11:41 PM
Barwin may very well be an option. 31 other teams haven't stepped up to offer him a contract yet.

Should this lack of interest be a red flag for us?

beveaux1
03-15-2017, 09:39 AM

Maybe.

Joemailman
03-15-2017, 07:00 PM
Because the draft is so rich at CB, I'd go with Barwin. His numbers were down last year, but having to switch from 3-4 OLB to 4-3 DE might have been the reason.

Actually I think TT might have the cap room to sign both.

Git er done TT!

gbgary
03-15-2017, 10:59 PM

nobody showed any public interest in our two new TEs. didn't seem to matter.

Bretsky
03-15-2017, 11:09 PM
nobody showed any public interest in our two new TEs. didn't seem to matter.

Exactly; get it done already !!!
Barwin is probably in GB and nobody even knows.

Carolina_Packer
03-16-2017, 07:05 AM
Not trying to hijack the selections for the poll, but since House was signed, can we have a new matchup? Connor Barwin vs. Dontari Poe. You could make a case for Poe, especially playing as much of the type of nickel Capers likes to play, but he can also push the pocket as well. I'm open to either one. Anyone that can come in and help provide pressure on the QB, I'm all for.

Bretsky
03-16-2017, 07:20 AM
Tyson Jackson might be a nice 1-2 year deal as well but I think he's asking for too much ching

Bretsky
03-16-2017, 07:20 AM
But ole draft and develop would need to give up compensation for those guys; Barwin comes free from draft picks

pittstang5
03-16-2017, 08:12 AM
I heard Barwin is now on his way to LA Rams for a visit. He left Cinci without a deal...and I think Barwin is from that area originally.

Wondering if he's asking for too much.

At this point, I don't think TT is interested.

Ho-hum...I'd really like Barwin on this team.

hoosier
03-16-2017, 08:40 AM
Not trying to hijack the selections for the poll, but since House was signed, can we have a new matchup? Connor Barwin vs. Dontari Poe. You could make a case for Poe, especially playing as much of the type of nickel Capers likes to play, but he can also push the pocket as well. I'm open to either one. Anyone that can come in and help provide pressure on the QB, I'm all for.

The complaint about Poe is that he precisely generates zero push in the middle. And since the Packers don't exactly have elite edge rushers, getting something from the middle is really going to be crucial if they are to avoid a repeat of the 2016 pass defense next year.

Pugger
03-16-2017, 08:44 AM
Poe might be the poster child of caveat emptor if you depend too much on the Combine.

KYPack
03-16-2017, 08:56 AM
The complaint about Poe is that he precisely generates zero push in the middle. And since the Packers don't exactly have elite edge rushers, getting something from the middle is really going to be crucial if they are to avoid a repeat of the 2016 pass defense next year.

Poe is flat out the best zero tech on the FA market. A true two gapping run stuffer. Pass rush? nah. But show me a zero tech in the league that is an effective pass rusher. Those guys are real rare. Poe is a young Ryan Pickett of "Spill it Pickett" fame.

Got a mystery candidate for that FA job. Jonathan Hankins of the Giants. NY had a highly rated run D last season. Jonathan isn't a two gap type, more of a single gapping bad ass kid. Hankins won't break the bank, but his signing requires comp. That seems to be against TT's religion.

Pugger
03-16-2017, 08:58 AM
Poe is flat out the best zero tech on the FA market. A true two gapping run stuffer. Pass rush? nah. But show me a zero tech in the league that is an effective pass rusher. Those guys are real rare. Poe is a young Ryan Pickett of "Spill it Pickett" fame.

Got a mystery candidate for that FA job. Jonathan Hankins of the Giants. NY had a highly rated run D last season. Jonathan isn't a two gap type, more of a single gapping bad ass kid. Hankins won't break the bank, but his signing requires comp. That seems to be against TT's religion.

However, we did get a few comp picks with our FA losses this offseason so Ted might make Hankins an exception this time.

woodbuck27
03-16-2017, 12:27 PM
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/NFL-Philadelphia-Eagles-Connor-Barwin-Rams-Bengals-Packers-Steelers.html?amphtml=y

Which NFL team might ex-Eagle Connor Barwin end up with?

Jonathan Tannenwald Updated: Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 7:19 PM

http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/story/1761812-barwin-possible-peppers-replacement

Connor Barwin a Possible Replacement for Julius Peppers

BILL HUBER

Joemailman
03-16-2017, 03:45 PM

To be part of the comp equation, what he signs for has to be above a certain amount. Just don't ask me what that amount is.

red
03-16-2017, 09:22 PM

FYI hankins is asking for 10 million a year

KYPack
03-17-2017, 10:48 AM

Oh shit. Cross him off the list.

Joemailman
03-19-2017, 10:24 PM

Asking ain't receiving. If someone was going to give him that, he'd have gotten it already.

pbmax
03-19-2017, 10:35 PM
Asking ain't receiving. If someone was going to give him that, he'd have gotten it already.

Unless he is Woodson.