PDA

View Full Version : malcom butler...

gbgary
03-12-2017, 11:59 PM
nfl-rumors-malcolm-butler (http://nesn.com/2017/03/nfl-rumors-malcolm-butlers-agent-actively-seeking-trade-from-patriots/)

didn't sign his tender so he's free. would have to give up a 1st round pick for him. they have plenty to get it done. they should do it. if they don't dallas will find a way to do it.

texaspackerbacker
03-13-2017, 07:39 AM
I was and still am hoping for the Packers to grab a quality FA Corner, but this restricted FA thing and giving up a first round pick is too much. I think Amukumara and Bouye and maybe a couple of others are still out there. Better to go that route. Butler may have been not quite as good as his stats due to having a lot of quality around him on the Pats.

BZnDallas
03-13-2017, 09:16 AM
Think the Butler/Antonio Brown commercial is hilarious. I'd have to do some serious consideration about trading for him. Is our first founder even good enough. The saints first rounder was waaay before ours. If its just our 1? I think about it. Anything more and I'm out. And that's without looking at his contract so that could sway my thought process.

smuggler
03-13-2017, 09:16 AM
Both are already signed. Amukamara signed a 1 year, $7mil deal with the Bears. Bouye signed a huge deal with the Jags.

As for the restricted tender status, the Patriots would have right of first refusal to assume any contract he signed with us. As far as the 1st round pick compensation, any first round pick fulfills that requirement. If we had the 1st overall, the 13th overall, AND the 32nd overall, we could send the 32nd and it would fulfill the compensation requirement. The only option they have with respect to refusal is if they want to match the contract. If not, they'll take 29 and have to smile.

BZnDallas
03-13-2017, 09:17 AM
*rounder not founder

Sorry typing on my phone

Upnorth
03-13-2017, 10:25 AM
1st rounder Plus the big contract he will expect... I don't know. Why not go with Coleman who is great in nickle... Big contract but no loss of 1st rounder

gbgary
03-13-2017, 10:47 AM
idk...it fixes our #1 problem with a proven #1 from a great team, not fodder left over from a team that gets torched deep every game like dallas (clayborn/carr). it gives us some flexibility with our 1st pick THIS year to go at best-player-available, he's young, and again...money isn't a problem.

bobblehead
03-13-2017, 10:55 AM
Not TT's style, but at the rate 1st rounders flop, and ours being all the way at the end, I would at least talk to him and see what he wants. I get that if its reasonable NE will match it, but you could try to poison pill it.

We need a bonafide #1 CB to drop the coverages of the other guys down the depth chart. It solves a huge problem. I wouldn't cry if TT did it...say a shields type contract.

Pugger
03-13-2017, 11:17 AM
Not TT's style, but at the rate 1st rounders flop, and ours being all the way at the end, I would at least talk to him and see what he wants. I get that if its reasonable NE will match it, but you could try to poison pill it.

We need a bonafide #1 CB to drop the coverages of the other guys down the depth chart. It solves a huge problem. I wouldn't cry if TT did it...say a shields type contract.

Yes, I just don't see Ted giving up a first round pick for a FA.

gbgary
03-13-2017, 11:29 AM
Yes, I just don't see Ted giving up a first round pick for a FA.

but ted is being the un-ted this year and it's not like our 1st round pick next year is going to be in the top 10.

Carolina_Packer
03-13-2017, 12:30 PM
The more I think about giving up a first rounder for an established corner who can cover another team's number 1 WR, the more I would think about it if I were in TT's shoes. If you look at this article http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftology408_1.php it shows the success/bust rate of first rounders and has a link for second rounders too. I know the data is kind of old, but I'm guessing if someone did a more recent study, they would find it to be a similar success rate. It may be a risky move, but so could it be to not risk anything when you know Butler is going to be a stud for some team.

Bring him in and Connor Barwin and now you're cooking with heat.

texaspackerbacker
03-13-2017, 12:47 PM
After reading the page of remarks, I'm gonna flip flop and come out in favor of signing Butler. Ya got a green light, Ted.

red
03-13-2017, 01:27 PM
idk...it fixes our #1 problem with a proven #1 from a great team, not fodder left over from a team that gets torched deep every game like dallas (clayborn/carr). it gives us some flexibility with our 1st pick THIS year to go at best-player-available, he's young, and again...money isn't a problem.

how would we have flexibility with our 1st round pick, if new england has it?

gbgary
03-13-2017, 03:26 PM
how would we have flexibility with our 1st round pick, if new england has it?

we'd still have this year's pick. they'd get next years. even if i'm wrong and it's the first pick in the upcoming draft it would be worth it as no cb of his quality will be there when we pick.

Rutnstrut
03-13-2017, 03:36 PM
TT would give up all of the salary cap before he would give up any draft picks, much less a first rounder.

red
03-13-2017, 04:15 PM
we'd still have this year's pick. they'd get next years. even if i'm wrong and it's the first pick in the upcoming draft it would be worth it as no cb of his quality will be there when we pick.

its this years pick

and he still wants to be paid like an elite CB, thats why he can't get a deal in NE. so he's looking at 14-15 million per year, IF he decides to sign

or, like i said, he will walk next year for free, after we gave up a first rounder this year

BZnDallas
03-13-2017, 04:29 PM
TT would give up all of the salary cap before he would give up any draft picks, much less a first rounder.

I agree, its certainly not TTs M.O. to do something like this. But.... the more I think about it the more I like the idea. Not that my thoughts are special. Like Smuggler pointed out, any first rounder satisfies the requirement and N.E. couldn't stop it. Butler is 27 and one of the closest things in this league to a shut down corner as there is, with respect to P.Peterson etc. I think a late 1 is a small price to pay for attaining his rights. This year he's only owed just shy of $4 million. Although that changes when you do a contract extension. And thats where the money comes in. The issue is do you want to pay dat man his money. It'd take what 12-14 million per year to keep him around? Thats a few shy from what Shields made and with the increase in salary cap, i'm intrigued. No way do I think it will happen. But its fun to think about. That would be a huge upgrade.

QBME
03-13-2017, 04:54 PM
Ahh, Hoody Genius. He's sitting on Garappolo of whom he says he wouldn't trade for four first round picks (so two will do?). Now he's got another ace in the hole with Mr. Butler.

Shoot, glad I just follow the news and observations.

Rutnstrut
03-13-2017, 05:10 PM
I agree, its certainly not TTs M.O. to do something like this. But.... the more I think about it the more I like the idea. Not that my thoughts are special. Like Smuggler pointed out, any first rounder satisfies the requirement and N.E. couldn't stop it. Butler is 27 and one of the closest things in this league to a shut down corner as there is, with respect to P.Peterson etc. I think a late 1 is a small price to pay for attaining his rights. This year he's only owed just shy of $4 million. Although that changes when you do a contract extension. And thats where the money comes in. The issue is do you want to pay dat man his money. It'd take what 12-14 million per year to keep him around? Thats a few shy from what Shields made and with the increase in salary cap, i'm intrigued. No way do I think it will happen. But its fun to think about. That would be a huge upgrade.

I would be willing to bet a weeks pay that Hoody can do a lot more good/damage with that late 1st round pick than TT. Being that they aren't a division opponent it really wouldn't come around to bite the Packers. But Ted will never do it, dem draft picks is gold.

gbgary
03-13-2017, 06:03 PM
its this years pick

and he still wants to be paid like an elite CB, thats why he can't get a deal in NE. so he's looking at 14-15 million per year, IF he decides to sign

or, like i said, he will walk next year for free, after we gave up a first rounder this year

i heard he wants 8ish but even at 10-11-12 it shouldn't be a problem. and if it's this year's pick (i would think it's next year's as it's a compensatory pick) who cares? our biggest problem will be taken care of for several years. and he wouldn't be walking anywhere as (we tendered an offer that ne didn't match) he'd be signed.

red
03-13-2017, 06:43 PM
where do you get its a compensatory pick?

its a real pick. if a team signs a restricted free agent, the original team first gets the right to match it (in this case), if the original teams does not decide to match the contract, then the second team gives up the pick for the upcoming draft

In the National Football League, a restricted free agent (RFA) is one with three accrued seasons (six or more regular season games with a team)[1] of service, who has received a "qualifying" offer (a salary level predetermined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and its players, known as a "tender") from his current club. He can negotiate with any club through a certain date. If the restricted free agent accepts an offer sheet from a new club, his old club has "right of first refusal," a five-day period in which it may match the offer and retain him, or choose not to match the offer, in which case it may receive one or more draft picks for the upcoming draft from the player's new club. If an offer sheet is not executed, the player's rights revert to his old club the day after negotiations must end.

quote from wikipedia

gbgary
03-13-2017, 06:59 PM
where do you get its a compensatory pick?

its a real pick. if a team signs a restricted free agent, the original team first gets the right to match it (in this case), if the original teams does not decide to match the contract, then the second team gives up the pick for the upcoming draft

quote from wikipedia

ok so it's not a true "compensatory pick" but the fact stands that they get your first pick as compensation. it doesn't matter though, as i said, our biggest problem is solved and he's signed for several years.

Teamcheez1
03-13-2017, 07:01 PM
Unless we got him for 4 or 5 years, I wouldn't even consider this.

gbgary
03-13-2017, 07:03 PM
Unless we got him for 4 or 5 years, I wouldn't even consider this.

well right. gilmore signed for 5/65 so yes you'd want it to be 4+ years. butler is 27 years old.

pbmax
03-13-2017, 08:30 PM
I would be willing to bet a weeks pay that Hoody can do a lot more good/damage with that late 1st round pick than TT. Being that they aren't a division opponent it really wouldn't come around to bite the Packers. But Ted will never do it, dem draft picks is gold.

Just be a little careful. Hoody is a better coach than GM. He has a lot of draft misfires on his resume.

The Gilmore signing is a risk. Gilmore has been hurt and he hasn't graded well in the last two years. I am certain Bill thinks he can use him more to his strengths, but the Gilmore move carries risks that even his first round picks don't.

Deputy Nutz
03-14-2017, 09:32 AM
Just be a little careful. Hoody is a better coach than GM. He has a lot of draft misfires on his resume.

The Gilmore signing is a risk. Gilmore has been hurt and he hasn't graded well in the last two years. I am certain Bill thinks he can use him more to his strengths, but the Gilmore move carries risks that even his first round picks don't.
Where Hoody succeeds as a GM is that he drafts players that fit his systems. He also doesn't have a lot of patients to wait for guys to maybe develop their potential. He sees most of the angles that makes him a great combo Coach/GM

pbmax
03-14-2017, 09:44 AM
Where Hoody succeeds as a GM is that he drafts players that fit his systems. He also doesn't have a lot of patients to wait for guys to maybe develop their potential. He sees most of the angles that makes him a great combo Coach/GM

Identifying players that fit the system is good and something I wish the Packers did more of on defense. But he has drafted a large number of turds early, especially on Defense.

Tony Oday
03-14-2017, 12:54 PM
Basically a 2nd round pick is nothing to get a top flight CB.

Rutnstrut
03-14-2017, 01:31 PM
Basically a 2nd round pick is nothing to get a top flight CB.

It is to Ted, he would give vital organs before losing draft picks.

Upnorth
03-14-2017, 01:38 PM

My original instinct is there is no way that tt brings him here. But TT is acting a bit different this year.

gbgary
03-14-2017, 01:44 PM

he wouldn't be losing anything. butler is better than ANY cb that will be left for them at 29. HE is the draft pick, if you will. 27 year old known NFL quantity vs another question mark.

My original instinct is there is no way that tt brings him here. But TT is acting a bit different this year.

he's being un-Ted...and it needs to continue.

gbgary
03-14-2017, 02:16 PM
fuck! hearing the cooks to n.e. was part of a wink-wink/nod-nod deal with the saints involving butler. now it makes sense why n.o. did such a dumb thing.

bobblehead
03-14-2017, 02:23 PM

I am in full a agreement that TTs biggest problem is that he has an abundance of patients every damn year.

swede
03-14-2017, 03:36 PM
I am in full a agreement that TTs biggest problem is that he has an abundance of patients every damn year.

Sublime. :)

HarveyWallbangers
03-14-2017, 04:19 PM
TT isn't giving up a 1st round pick for a guy about to get his second (and big) contact.

Carolina_Packer
03-14-2017, 05:17 PM
TT isn't giving up a 1st round pick for a guy about to get his second (and big) contact.

If the Packers have him rated high, what difference does it make if it's his second contract. Payday contracts do carry risk, but on some level it's worth giving up a first round pick for the right to get a guy like Butler, even if they would have to turn around and give him a big pay day. They were willing to take a risk on Sam and they are not paying him anymore, so why not find someone else who can take his role on the team. Even with House back in the fold for one year, I still say make this move, if it's possible to make.

gbgary
03-14-2017, 05:18 PM

if he's all-in he will. he has in the past. that's the perfect time to do it. not when they're on the 3rd contract and in their last years.

he needs to do the butler thing anyway but if the saints thing is true he REALLY needs to get in there and do it!

red
03-14-2017, 05:50 PM
It cracks me up that some of you are getting so worked up over Butler, when we have heard of zero contact or even interest from the packers

No one outside of a few packer fans are even thinking about butler to green bay

pbmax
03-14-2017, 07:52 PM
Butler is rumored to be going to New Orleans in a quid pro quo for the Brandin Cooks deal last week. Swap of first round picks and players. If Butler can come to terms with NO.

gbgary
03-14-2017, 10:09 PM
Butler is rumored to be going to New Orleans in a quid pro quo for the Brandin Cooks deal last week. Swap of first round picks and players. If Butler can come to terms with NO.

I mentioned that several posts back. why can't we hijack the situation?

gbgary
03-14-2017, 10:16 PM
It cracks me up that some of you are getting so worked up over Butler, when we have heard of zero contact or even interest from the packers

true that it might just fans but what difference does that make? trying to think outside the Ted box.

gbgary
03-14-2017, 10:18 PM

Pugger
03-14-2017, 11:37 PM

Of course none of us had a clue about any interest in Julius Peppers a couple of years ago or Bennett this year.