PDA

View Full Version : House back to Packers

HarveyWallbangers
03-14-2017, 12:29 PM
Yahoo ticker says CB Davon House is returning to the Packers.

Tony Oday
03-14-2017, 12:44 PM
Still need a #1...

Guiness
03-14-2017, 01:27 PM
Kind of odd, did House not play that well? I thought the Jags had a lot of cap room. He had 4 INTs and 23 PD his first year with the team (PD number led the league I believe). Then they bench and cut him. Were those numbers just a sign the opposing team was throwing his way all the time?

gbgary
03-14-2017, 01:27 PM
depth. he'll fight it out with all the other backups we actually have starting.

Still need a #1...

butler.

Deputy Nutz
03-14-2017, 01:31 PM
Meh

He provides depth, replaces Micah Hyde on the depth chart. Not a great tackler, or pure cover guy. This signing doesn't make the defense better, but if Randall can't get it together in his third year there is at least a veteran presence.

HarveyWallbangers
03-14-2017, 02:54 PM
If House plays like 2014-2015, it will make the defense better. We didn't have enough depth at OCB last year. Hyde was a slot guy. They tried to make Rollins an outside guy, but he isn't cut out for that. Right now, he'd start, but we'll see what happens in the draft.

MadScientist
03-14-2017, 02:54 PM
They needed more corners than they could draft, so in that sense it's a good pickup. Not sure why he fell out of favor in Jax, but he was a decent nickel back when he was here last. Maybe Jax realized he was a nickel being paid like a starter and cut him because of that. A good corner is still a priority in the draft.

CaptainKickass
03-14-2017, 03:14 PM
Not sure why he fell out of favor in Jax, but he was a decent nickel back when he was here last.

They played more zone last year and House is not a zone guy. His strength is Man coverage. His weakness is Zone coverage.

More Zone = Less House

texaspackerbacker
03-14-2017, 06:14 PM
If Ted were gonna sign a top notch Corner, he wouldn't have needed House. I'm assuming this means no Butler or anybody else of consequence. Between Randall, Rollins, and Gunter, somebody better step up. Otherwise, we again play the season without a true #1 Corner in a D scheme that tends to rely on man coverage. Just the same, I'm not too negative on the situation. Remember about a year ago? Most people thought we were in excellent shape at Corner. Now, we are the same - minus Shields and plus House. Who knows, if we don't get hit hard by injuries, we could be OK.

BZnDallas
03-14-2017, 06:32 PM
House is most likely our no. 2 at the beginning of the year with Randall our no. 1. Rollins, Gunter, and the 1st or 2nd round draft pick will probably fight over the 3rd starting CB spot with the other 2 grabbing the 4 and 5 slots. The draft pick may fight for the no. 2 spot during the year, but that depends on the pick. I was in the group that wanted House brought back. He fits our scheme and has a bigger body. Now we have 2 bigger bodied CBs in House and Gunter with a few available in the draft. Again TT uses FA but its not good enough. House on this team last year and the 4 game losing streak wouldn't have happened, then we get the 2 seed and play ATL at home. Not saying House woulda fared better vs Julio, but House and the cold and who f'n knows. No point in talking about it. I like the signing.

Bretsky
03-14-2017, 07:02 PM
As I noted several times, I expected TT to sign hm ; he did fine here......knows the coaches...no brainer. He either is good enough to start of at least be a serviceable #3. They probably got him cheap too.

pbmax
03-14-2017, 07:55 PM
Say good bye to zone in 2017 boys!

texaspackerbacker
03-14-2017, 11:03 PM
IMO the #1 Corner spot is Gunter's to lose - unless lightning strikes and Ted signs a star quality Corner or Randall suddenly gets about ten times better than he has played in the past. House might be in the mix, but I doubt he is better than Gunter.

Zone D can always be taught. It's not really a matter of "good bye". We never really used it much, and probably we won't, as it isn't really a part of the Capers schemes that are basically needed to keep the Packers D as competitive as it is.

Bretsky
03-14-2017, 11:12 PM
IMO the #1 Corner spot is Gunter's to lose - unless lightning strikes and Ted signs a star quality Corner or Randall suddenly gets about ten times better than he has played in the past. House might be in the mix, but I doubt he is better than Gunter.

Zone D can always be taught. It's not really a matter of "good bye". We never really used it much, and probably we won't, as it isn't really a part of the Capers schemes that are basically needed to keep the Packers D as competitive as it is.

GUNTER A #1 ?

IF we enter the season with a marginally talented overachiever (that I do appreciate) like Gunter as our #1 we're throwing another yr of having the top player in the NFL out the window

HarveyWallbangers
03-15-2017, 01:14 AM
We will draft a CB high and go into the season with the high pick, Randall, House as the likely top three. Gunter and Rollins likely as backups. Dorleant, Hawkins, and others (another draft pick perhaps) fighting it out for 1 more spot.

Pugger
03-15-2017, 10:28 AM
Well, at least he knows they D and isn't costing us an arm and a leg...

bobblehead
03-15-2017, 10:59 AM

Zone can be taught, but the closing speed you need to be successful can not.

I agree with most everything else you said here. Gunther is the best CB on the roster atm (yikes :shock: ) and unless Randall improves, which he should that won't change.

Smidgeon
03-15-2017, 11:14 AM
Randall regressed last year (injuries, attitude, whatever). He and Rollins both played well their rookie year. I do expect improvement (regression towards the mean and whatnot), but to say he needs to get ten times better than the past is ignoring what he did two years ago. He has flashed big play ability this last year too.

I think he needs to just get out of his head and play. Up to the coaches there.

gbgary
03-15-2017, 11:44 AM
Say good bye to zone in 2017 boys!

good. the good teams play physical man and push the rules. so now we have two back ups who can play that way...gunter and house. we need a #1 who can.

Upnorth
03-15-2017, 12:08 PM
What year did shields become good? I would argue his 3rd.
What year did haywood become good? His first, then injured in the second then came back the third and was good.
what year did tramon williams become good? His 3rd.

What are the odds that either Rollins or Randall get back on track this year? I would say at least one of them will be good for sure.
So with that in mind we have Gunter and House as our 2 and 3 or 3 and 4.
Plus HaHa is becoming better each year, and Burnett is stead, so maybe the secondary isnt as bad as we think it is.

Perhaps pass rush is actually a bigger priority for the d than cb. And ILB....

Pugger
03-16-2017, 09:01 AM
What year did shields become good? I would argue his 3rd.
What year did haywood become good? His first, then injured in the second then came back the third and was good.
what year did tramon williams become good? His 3rd.

What are the odds that either Rollins or Randall get back on track this year? I would say at least one of them will be good for sure.
So with that in mind we have Gunter and House as our 2 and 3 or 3 and 4.
Plus HaHa is becoming better each year, and Burnett is stead, so maybe the secondary isnt as bad as we think it is.

Perhaps pass rush is actually a bigger priority for the d than cb. And ILB....

A better pass rush can mask a lot of warts in your secondary too.

HarveyWallbangers
03-16-2017, 09:38 AM
Shields was pretty much good from the very start. I know he had some sophomore struggles, but nothing compared to how bad Randall and Rollins were last year.

Zool
03-16-2017, 09:42 AM
Shields was pretty much good from the very start. I know he had some sophomore struggles, but nothing compared to how bad Randall and Rollins were last year.

Yeah I agree. Sheilds had some struggles when tape on him got out, but never to the tune of a season-long 116 QBR against.

RashanGary
03-16-2017, 10:55 AM
Randall was injured since week 1. He struggled through, eventually had the sports hernia surgery, and then battled other ailments all year. Anyone who's judging him on this last season is going to be pleasantly surprised in 2017. Bet on it.

HarveyWallbangers
03-16-2017, 11:12 AM
I think he'll rebound also, but I'm not that high on Rollins.

woodbuck27
03-16-2017, 11:22 AM

Gunter.... your saying, will be the Packers NO. 1 CB !

If that in fact is the case the Packers Offense better be lights out great.

All I saw was Gunter = Terrible = check.

Pugger
03-16-2017, 02:04 PM

Early in his career Sam's speed made up for his mistakes at times.

texaspackerbacker
03-16-2017, 06:02 PM
Gunter.... your saying, will be the Packers NO. 1 CB !

If that in fact is the case the Packers Offense better be lights out great.

All I saw was Gunter = Terrible = check.

I'll give you a "probably" on that. It would be nice if Randall played up - way way up - and beat out Gunter, but I don't see that happening. It would also be nice if Ted actually did sign a top quality FA Corner, but I really don't see that happening. It's also very possible we draft a Corner in the first round, but the chances of that guy stepping in as our #1 Corner are ...... not very good.

Gunter was decent most of the time when he played as the #1 Corner last year. He did OK against Beckham and Bryant. He floundered against Julio Jones, but then a lot of Corners do that.

run pMc
03-16-2017, 08:56 PM
Signing House is a decent move for depth and the vet presence.
I think Randall will have a bounceback year. He played hurt and without confidence. I think with his health restored and Joe Whitt coaching him up he'll do fine.

Gunter shouldn't be more than a #3CB IMO. His speed is a liability. Ted's gonna need to bring in 2 more CB's, because Dorleant and Goodson are hurt to start the season and Hyde's gone. I'd like to see them bring in more speed.

Shields was good from the start...he was the #3CB and returning kicks IIRC.