PDA

View Full Version : Wilde on KRob

b bulldog
09-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Jason Wilde, who was on The Homer show, said that he thought the chances of the Packers signing Robinson were pretty high. He thought it may get done after the first game(not committed to a full year salary wise than) and that even with his issues off of the field, the team should be able to expect a years worth of services out of Robinson before his suspension would kick in. (lEONARD lITTLE)

Brando19
09-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Awesome...any immediate improvement on the field is surely welcome by me.

Rastak
09-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Awesome...any immediate improvement on the field is surely welcome by me.

Well, his probation violation hearing is in October I thought which means he may be going back to jail. He has a one year suspended sentance from that incident and the new one is WAY worse. Then the papers will say packer player goes to prison. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would sign him this year. The dudes facing a felony, I would think his primary concern is staying out of jail, not collecting a couple more checks before NFL suspends him for a year and the Washington courts incarcerate him.....we haven't even begun to discuss his Minnesota legal toubles which include the afformentioned felony. I don't get it.

BananaMan
09-06-2006, 09:29 PM
yeah, as long as the signing bonus is low, it'd be a great signing.

i hope they pull it off.

Rastak
09-06-2006, 09:31 PM

i hope they pull it off.

I would it would be zero bonus banana....yea, it would be a real great signing....aye yi yi....

b bulldog
09-06-2006, 09:33 PM
No bonus, league minimum

BananaMan
09-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Rastak,

i know he's had lots of incidents off the field. that aside, he's a good guy. :wink:

any help we can get this season is well worth it. he's a talent, you know that. if he hadn't got into trouble, you'd be raving about him as your number 1 WR.

make the contract low and make him prove himself all over again. that'd be best for both sides.

oregonpackfan
09-06-2006, 09:35 PM
The young man needs to be in an intensive rehab center to deal with his disease. I am not sure if playing pro football should be part of his daily life in trying to consistently reach and maintain sobriety.

OPF

BallHawk
09-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Where would he fit as a wide receiver, though? #3, #4?

b bulldog
09-06-2006, 09:36 PM
I agree, he needs to worry about his addiction first and foremost, not playing ball.

Rastak
09-06-2006, 09:39 PM
Rastak,

i know he's had lots of incidents off the field. that aside, he's a good guy.

any help we can get this season is well worth it. he's a talent, you know that. if he hadn't got into trouble, you'd be raving about him as your number 1 WR.

make the contract low and make him prove himself all over again. that'd be best for both sides.

He's a great guy.....but you might want to re-read what I wrote. He has a parole violation, a 1 year NFL suspension and a felony over his head right now. The hammer is going to come down sooner rather than later.
Why would you want him in Green and Gold when that happens.

Look, it seems to me he ought to get this behind him, get sober and then he can sign with Green Bay or the Bengals maybe. But it's his life, and I'm sure he'll make the right choices....LOL....NOT.
Is this the role model for the kids of Wisconsin?

MJZiggy
09-06-2006, 09:46 PM
I agree, he needs to worry about his addiction first and foremost, not playing ball.

But it could be said that sitting around with nothing to do and thinking about it will not help his situation either. You need to deal with it, but when you're not actively counseling for the situation, you also need something to keep your mind occupied. Yes, there is a pretty good possibility he's gonna have to do some time, so any football he does will have to be a temp job. The main thing he has to figure out is how to NOT get behind the wheel after he's been drinking. Is there a policy in place for the drinking itself or is it just if they break the law as a result of the drinking? What is the substance abuse policy for a substance that's technically legal?

Rastak
09-06-2006, 09:48 PM

But it could be said that sitting around with nothing to do and thinking about it will not help his situation either. You need to deal with it, but when you're not actively counseling for the situation, you also need something to keep your mind occupied. Yes, there is a pretty good possibility he's gonna have to do some time, so any football he does will have to be a temp job. The main thing he has to figure out is how to NOT get behind the wheel after he's been drinking. Is there a policy in place for the drinking itself or is it just if they break the law as a result of the drinking? What is the substance abuse policy for a substance that's technically legal?

I'm not sure but he most likely needed to stay sober for his probation. Not sure on the NFL side......I'd be more worried about the Washington court system than the NFL right now if I were him.

digitaldean
09-06-2006, 09:49 PM

i hope they pull it off.

I would it would be zero bonus banana....yea, it would be a real great signing....aye yi yi....

Holmgren can't straighten him out, getting a fresh start in Minn. didn't straighten him out.

Ya RIIIIGHT, living in GB (AKA "a dry city") :wink: is going to work.

Why even touch this guy?! Excuse me, (Bang) while I (Bang) hit my head (Bang) against the wall.

gbpackfan
09-06-2006, 09:59 PM
I wonder if his probabtion hearing will actually occur on Oct. 1.

HarveyWallbangers
09-06-2006, 10:04 PM
DON'T SIGN THIS GUY! THIS IS THE PACKERS. WE WANT PACKER PEOPLE. WE DON'T NEED THE EMBARRASSMENT OF SIGNING A FOOL LIKE THIS. NOT JUST SO WE CAN WIN 7 GAMES INSTEAD OF 6 GAMES.

Rastak
09-06-2006, 10:04 PM
I wonder if his probabtion hearing will actually occur on Oct. 1.

Not sure, I did find this...
I also found in another article that is was scheduled for Oct 17th.....

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2003217622_webkoren22.html

MINNEAPOLIS – A high-speed police chase and allegations of drunken driving in Minnesota will send Vikings receiver Koren Robinson back to a courtroom in Washington state.

A hearing in Kirkland Municipal Court will be held to determine whether Robinson's recent arrest violated terms of his probation stemming from a 2005 drunken driving incident in Medina, Wash.

"It's a review hearing because of noncompliance of conditions of his sentence," said Aimee Vance, court supervisor. If it's determined that Robinson was in violation, he could face up to 364 days in jail and up to $4,650 in fines, Vance said.

The hearing, originally set for Sept. 26, will be rescheduled because it will be held before Kirkland Municipal Court Commissioner Wayne Stewart, instead of before Judge Michael J. Lambo, Vance said. A new hearing date is expected to be set by the end of the week.

Last Tuesday, Robinson refused to stop for police after radar caught his blue BMW sedan going more than 100 mph in a 55 mph zone near Mankato, where the Vikings hold their training camp, police said.

Robinson, a former first-round draft pick whose promising career with Seattle was derailed by alcohol problems, was charged Wednesday in Minnesota's Nicollet County with a felony count of fleeing from police, two counts of drunken driving, and three other misdemeanors. The criminal complaint said a field test measured Robinson's blood-alcohol content at 0.11 percent. He posted $50,000 bail.

Robinson had pleaded guilty to a 2005 incident of driving under the influence in Washington. He was given a five-year suspended sentence, with no law violations, and no driving with a blood-alcohol content of .08 or above. Among other conditions, he also was ordered not to use alcoholic beverages or nonprescription drugs, Vance said.

flipnout91
09-06-2006, 10:12 PM

i hope they pull it off. I heard we offered to put a keg of beer on the Plane and one by his locker. :smile: In return he would wave the signing bonus. Just kidding guys and gals. I think a little cheese might be good for this guy. Give us a good year of production, show the courts you have cleaned up, and they may give him a work release and allow him to serve his jail time in the off season.

HarveyWallbangers
09-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Either way, he's going to get suspended for a year. That suspension will likely start in October.

MJZiggy
09-06-2006, 10:16 PM
I thought he had to get convicted first...

HarveyWallbangers
09-06-2006, 10:24 PM
I thought he had to get convicted first...

The NFL doesn't need a conviction on a DUI for them to suspend him. He's substance abuse program includes alcohol. All they need to prove is that he was using alcohol. They'll probably wait until the legal issues are taken care of before suspending him, but they'll very likely suspend him without a conviction.

MJZiggy
09-06-2006, 10:28 PM
I don't understand then. If all they have to do is prove that a player had consumed alcohol to trip the wire, then every player who ever has a beer would be getting suspensions.

HarveyWallbangers
09-06-2006, 10:42 PM
No, this is the most misunderstood thing about this program. If a player gets a DUI or a previous alcohol-related suspension, the player will likely have a sobrierty clause written into their treatment plan. If they fail this plan, they are subject to a yearlong suspension. In this plan, drinking alcohol (although legal) is equivalent to another strike in the program.

From the Tacoma News:
Robinson is a “Stage 3” member of the league’s substance-abuse policy, meaning another violation would bring a yearlong suspension. Alcohol is not on the NFL’s list of banned substances, but league spokesman Greg Aiello said every player in the program must follow a treatment plan.

Details of Robinson’s treatment plan are confidential. But given his past problems with alcohol, it almost certainly includes a sobriety clause.

Rastak
09-07-2006, 05:47 AM
I don't understand then. If all they have to do is prove that a player had consumed alcohol to trip the wire, then every player who ever has a beer would be getting suspensions.

Yea, what Harvey said. The only guys not allowed to drink are the one who are in the substance abuse program and have agreed to stay sober as a condition of future employment.

I kinda laughed when I read Wilde's column...it starts off..

"GREEN BAY - If Koren Robinson does get one last chance in the NFL, it could very well be with the Green Bay Packers because of his relationship with general manager Ted Thompson"

One last chance? The fact that anybody is even remotely considering the guy with [ 1) A year long jail sentance for parole violation 2) Year long NFL suspension 3) A felony trial on the horizon ] for a job before any of it is even resolved blows me away. He'll get chance 4, 5 and 6 at this rate.
I wish the guy well, but maybe a year in the clink will wake him up.

HarveyWallbangers
09-07-2006, 07:45 AM
Yeah, if the Packers were looking at him next offseason and he had stayed sober in the meantime, then I might look at him. Not now.

run pMc
09-07-2006, 08:42 AM
It's not just about Packer people, it's about a human being's mental and physical health.

He's obviously talented, and obviously troubled.

I don't think GB should sign him. He needs to sort out his life before getting back on the playing field.

I hope nobody signs him until he learns to finally deal with his issues (without the crutch of a bottle). I hope that happens, and he turns his life around -- and then the Packers sign him. He's an upgrade over Fergy.

pbmax
09-07-2006, 08:53 AM
One last chance? The fact that anybody is even remotely considering the guy with [ 1) A year long jail sentance for parole violation 2) Year long NFL suspension 3) A felony trial on the horizon ] for a job before any of it is even resolved blows me away. He'll get chance 4, 5 and 6 at this rate.
Rastak, I don't like the idea of signing him, but the likelihood of of him serving a full year of jail time is low.

With decent representation, he is unlikely to be given the maximum sentence unless he does something additionally stupid prior to his hearing (or during his hearing).

I don't know what the average probation violation sentence is, but its likely NOT the maximum.

Rastak
09-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Rastak, I don't like the idea of signing him, but the likelihood of of him serving a full year of jail time is low.

With decent representation, he is unlikely to be given the maximum sentence unless he does something additionally stupid prior to his hearing (or during his hearing).

I don't know what the average probation violation sentence is, but its likely NOT the maximum.

Maybe, I would assume if you violate the terms of your suspened sentence that's what you get but maybe the judge has leeway. All I know is when he showed up to jail he was drunk which REALLY iritated the authorities given it was a sentence on an alchohol related charge. So if I'm the judge and I found out he pulls this I'd revoke the suspended part and say adios. Honestly, it would be the best thing for him.