PDA

View Full Version : Who Should TT Draft In The 1st Round?

Joemailman
03-27-2017, 10:16 AM
Who should TT draft in the 1st Round?

Poll to follow.

Following players not in the poll due to expectation they will be gone by the time the Packers draft.

Myles Garrett, Jonathan Allen, Solomon Thomas, Malik Hooker, Dalvin Cook, Jamal Adams, Reuben Foster, Mike Williams, Leonard Fournette, Marshon Lattimore, O.J. Howard, Mitch Trubisky, Jabrill Peppers, Ryan Ramczyk, Corey Davis, Derek Barnett, Zach Cunningham. John Ross, Marlon Humphrey, Christian McCaffrey, DeShaun Watson, Javid Njoku, Haason Reddick.

gbgary
03-27-2017, 10:57 AM
since i don't really watch college fb i'll say best db available. dallas is ahead of us and their db needs are worse than ours. would love to see tt move up a few spots.

Joemailman
03-27-2017, 11:34 AM
I'm going with McKinley. The injury to Sidney Jones weakened the class of 1st round Cb's a bit.

Carolina_Packer
03-27-2017, 12:08 PM
I voted other. Christian McCaffrey is my selection. His ability to make people miss is special, and he can get to the next level in a blink, plus he could be special out of the backfield.

Joemailman
03-27-2017, 03:11 PM
McCaffrey would be a good value if he is available at #29. (I don't think he will be). Still, with RB being such a strong position in the 2017 draft, I think defense is the way to go. I think there's a better chance of finding a starting caliber RB in the 3-4 round than there is at OLB.

texaspackerbacker
03-27-2017, 05:59 PM
For the first time ever, I voted "trade up". As I said in the other thread, we need quality, not quantity. We haven't gotten a star-quality player since Aaron and Clay - with the possible exception of Jordy. Take Rodgers away, and this team is very mediocre. Let's get somebody on that excluded list in the first post.

Bretsky
03-27-2017, 06:46 PM
I really don't think McKinley is there; if he is no brainer
Therefore I went all homer. TJ WATT !!

Zool
03-27-2017, 06:48 PM
A TE from SouthWest nowhere state you've never heard of that came from the basketball program at the school.

Pugger
03-27-2017, 06:50 PM
A TE from SouthWest nowhere state you've never heard of that came from the basketball program at the school.

Unless that TE is the second coming of Gronk...

Strange Brew
03-27-2017, 06:53 PM
I vote McCaffrey, but you know Dallas will grab him before we can.

Zool
03-27-2017, 07:00 PM
Unless that TE is the second coming of Gronk...

I'd take a bigger version of Greg Jennings. I've followed all of Teds drafts, and rarely a. I anywhere close to guessing what he'll do. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Radagast
03-27-2017, 09:32 PM
The Packers greatest primary need is at the CB/CB's position . It is necessary realize that a change in thinking is necessary . GB's Offense has not been a great problem area the past few seasons . The Defense needs players , especially in the CB positions. In a passing dominated league , the CB position's must merit more than a cheap 5th or 6th round pick in the draft .

I would like to see GB trade up in the upcoming NFL Draft . It may require some creative thinking , but I believe that GB will need to have a top 5 pick to get a CB like Ohio State's Marshon Lattimore .

:glug:

Joemailman
03-27-2017, 10:12 PM
I really don't think McKinley is there; if he is no brainer
Therefore I went all homer. TJ WATT !!

Hard to say with McKinley. Don't know if the shoulder injury will scare teams off in the 1st round.

Radagast
03-27-2017, 10:59 PM
Hard to say with McKinley. Don't know if the shoulder injury will scare teams off in the 1st round.

If you are referring to the OLB from UCLA , then you need to wake up and smell the coffee mailman . GB needs CB's that can do better this season . It is a passing League and GB needs players that can do their jobs. Trade UP - get the Ohio State CB - Marshon Lattimore !

Joemailman
03-28-2017, 06:01 AM
If you are referring to the OLB from UCLA , then you need to wake up and smell the coffee mailman . GB needs CB's that can do better this season . It is a passing League and GB needs players that can do their jobs. Trade UP - get the Ohio State CB - Marshon Lattimore !

You wanna trade all your picks to draft one guy? Even if they did, it probably wouldn't be enough to move up that far. Nice analysis.

Carolina_Packer
03-28-2017, 06:09 AM
McCaffrey would be a good value if he is available at #29. (I don't think he will be). Still, with RB being such a strong position in the 2017 draft, I think defense is the way to go. I think there's a better chance of finding a starting caliber RB in the 3-4 round than there is at OLB.

I agree with your comments, I just happen to think that McCaffrey has the ability be special from day one, and take the offense to another level more than a first round OLB could help the defense. McCaffrey's foot work and agility are incredible. I think he would put as much or more pressure on the opposing defense to stop him as a first round defender could help the Packers defense shore up our defense.

If he's available, he should be the first RB taken by the Packers since Darrell Thompson in 1990. I'm telling you, if he stays healthy (always, right?), I think he will be a star in the NFL.

Cheesehead Craig
03-28-2017, 08:26 AM
All I know is that he better be an immediate impact, ROY, Pro-Bowler type player who leads us to a SB win, else some members here will take a flamethrower to this place.

MadScientist
03-28-2017, 08:51 AM
CB was a huge hole that was exploited at the end, and will be totally exposed if it is not addressed. It doesn't matter who the Packers add on the offensive side of the ball if the other guys can score at will. If there is a CB available with a first round grade at all, take him. If it looks like they might all be gone, try to trade up and grab one.

BZnDallas
03-28-2017, 11:08 AM
I think I'm starting to get on the Watt band wagon. Not sure why its taken me this long. Loved watching the kid with the Badgers.

Definitely understand your thought process Mad. But there are multiple ways to improve the play of the DBs. Adding pass rush is one of those ways. I think the top of the CB list will be picked over by 29. Prolly cost too much to jump up and get one, so might as well do next best thing. Improve pass rush, IF possible, and look to better value in 2nd or 3rd round for a CB.

MadScientist
03-28-2017, 03:23 PM
I think I'm starting to get on the Watt band wagon. Not sure why its taken me this long. Loved watching the kid with the Badgers.

Definitely understand your thought process Mad. But there are multiple ways to improve the play of the DBs. Adding pass rush is one of those ways. I think the top of the CB list will be picked over by 29. Prolly cost too much to jump up and get one, so might as well do next best thing. Improve pass rush, IF possible, and look to better value in 2nd or 3rd round for a CB.

They'd need an elite pass rusher to compensate for the CB play last year, and I don't think they'd get that at or near #29. If they just need to leapfrog Dallas to secure a CB like Tankersley, I'd say go for it. Although this board may not survive the Packers having a CB named Tank...

QBME
03-28-2017, 03:39 PM
Although this board may not survive the Packers having a CB named Tank...

Ha!

Bretsky
03-28-2017, 06:16 PM

I am with you; remember this dude started at UW as a Tight end and moved to ILB; nice ceiling and huge motor.....think Aaron Kampman at OLB. Adding pass rush tempers the fact that our CB's suck....and there will be very good CB's there in rounds 2 and 3.

If an elite pass rusher is there.........GET HIM

bobblehead
03-29-2017, 01:42 AM
I am with you; remember this dude started at UW as a Tight end and moved to ILB; nice ceiling and huge motor.....think Aaron Kampman at OLB. Adding pass rush tempers the fact that our CB's suck....and there will be very good CB's there in rounds 2 and 3.

Yep. I can cover Antonio Brown if Big Ben is on his ass in 1.4 seconds.

bobblehead
03-29-2017, 01:43 AM
Ok...maybe even a little quicker to give me a chance.

Carolina_Packer
03-29-2017, 05:44 AM
Ok...maybe even a little quicker to give me a chance.

Clay has probably lost a step, but right now, he is still the best pass rush option that the team has, and that should be somewhat concerning now that he is north of 30. They should be thinking multiple pass rushers! Now, I'm not saying in a row or super high up in the draft, but somewhere in the draft or priority free agency or one in the draft and one in priority free agency. You can't have enough good rusher backers in a 3-4.

That said, if Christian McCaffrey is there to be picked, go get him. With our recent mixed to meh results of picking defenders at the end of the first round, get the BAP or guy most likely to be an individual talent. If you are TT and you knew you could make the offense that much more balanced and dangerous, with a weapon like McCaffrey, you have to do it. If you are TT, you have to trust that there are enough good pass rushers, defensive backs, guards and anything else needed on your big board, and that you will have an opportunity to pick one of them, but you must pick the rare talent always!

Iron Mike
03-29-2017, 11:12 PM

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=111586&draftyear=2017&genpos=OLB

HarveyWallbangers
03-30-2017, 02:30 AM
Top CB or OLB available. I think Ty Montgomery can give the Packers much of what McCaffrey can give. We should take both a CB and OLB by the end of day 2. Draft OG or RB when one value is on the board. For me, high priority as far as draft capital is CB, OLB. Medium priority is RB, OG, DL, maybe WR because we may need one in 2018. Low priority is QB, TE, OT, OC, ILB (I have high hopes for Ryan and Martinez this year), and S.

Radagast
03-30-2017, 02:39 AM
DRAFT A CB !!!

bobblehead
03-30-2017, 10:27 AM
Clay has probably lost a step, but right now, he is still the best pass rush option that the team has, !

Clay was nowhere near Nick Perry last year. He never was that great of a pass rusher. And I will toot my horn. I told you he would never equal Kampman's 15.5 sack season and I was right (but it would be nice to be wrong this year!!)

Brandon494
03-30-2017, 10:59 AM
Draft is loaded at CB so you take pass rusher in the 1st and can still find a quality CB in the 2nd.

BZnDallas
03-30-2017, 11:36 AM
Draft is loaded at CB so you take pass rusher in the 1st and can still find a quality CB in the 2nd.

I'd love it if that King kid out of Washington fell to our 2nd round pick. He played oppo Sidney Jones. I believe he's 6'3 and ran a high 4.4 or low 4.5. Great size and speed combo. Pair him with Watt or Tak McK and I think we've got a start to a more consistent defense.

George Cumby
03-30-2017, 01:52 PM
Personally I want Watt. And he's a smart, try hard white LB so TT might go there.

But I voted other because TT will pick up some no name wide receiver from a relatively unknown school.

smuggler
03-30-2017, 08:28 PM
I'd love it if that King kid out of Washington fell to our 2nd round pick. He played oppo Sidney Jones. I believe he's 6'3 and ran a high 4.4 or low 4.5. Great size and speed combo. Pair him with Watt or Tak McK and I think we've got a start to a more consistent defense.

6'1" and 4.45 quite respectable

I think hoping for him in the 2nd is a bit of a fantasy, but I would love the pick if it came to pass

HarveyWallbangers
03-30-2017, 11:08 PM
Watt does make a ton of sense in round 1. Measurables hit TT's standards for the position. Then, draft CB later in a deep CB draft. I had heard that this draft was deep in OLBs, but the more I dig into it I don't think it's that deep in pass rushers.

Bretsky
03-31-2017, 04:43 PM
Watt does make a ton of sense in round 1. Measurables hit TT's standards for the position. Then, draft CB later in a deep CB draft. I had heard that this draft was deep in OLBs, but the more I dig into it I don't think it's that deep in pass rushers.

COMPLETELY AGREE;

Watt is a no brainer here. CB is so deep there will be very good ones in both round 2 and 3 for us.

There are not a lot of pass rushers

pbmax
03-31-2017, 05:06 PM
I am not endorsing Watt unless I see certified lab proof that he is on the same 'roids as his brother.

Bretsky
03-31-2017, 05:32 PM
I am not endorsing Watt unless I see certified lab proof that he is on the same 'roids as his brother.

JJ is not on roids; he just works out year round and likes it. His trainer is about 30 minutes away from me.

I think TJ also loves the game; he's the real deal.

But we don't want your endorsement; we just want you to apologize to Cullen Jenkins so you raise the curse and give TT a chance. Let him win and resign as his campaign manager :)

Zool
03-31-2017, 08:04 PM
JJ is not on roids; he just works out year round and likes it. His trainer is about 30 minutes away from me.

But we don't want your endorsement; we just want you to apologize to Cullen Jenkins so you raise the curse and give TT a chance. Let him win and resign as his campaign manager :)

Aren't you worried about endorsing TJ and his impending career threatening injury in 2019?

pbmax
03-31-2017, 10:15 PM

Not giving in on Cullen.

JJ Watt grew a little too much after high school, didn't he? He went to Central Michigan as a TE, 6' 5" and 220 lbs if wikipedia is to be believed.

That is a lot of muscle mass gained Bretsky, without much of a gain in height.

wist43
03-31-2017, 10:30 PM
Guys I've looked at that I like so far are Tim Williams and Zach Cunningham.

Like both of those guys over McKinley; although McKinley did have the shoulder issue and played thru it. Not sure I'm too thrilled about the idea of taking another UCLA front seven guy though, as the last two were poor picks.

bobblehead
03-31-2017, 11:17 PM
Not giving in on Cullen.

JJ Watt grew a little too much after high school, didn't he? He went to Central Michigan as a TE, 6' 5" and 220 lbs if wikipedia is to be believed.

That is a lot of muscle mass gained Bretsky, without much of a gain in height.

Not saying he DIDN'T do roids, but its not out of the possibility to do it clean. I knew guys who were 6'4 185 that I got to 225 in 2 years without cheating. So to go 220 to 290 in 4 years isn't impossible. Its also a lot easier by being dirty for two 9 week cycles.

red
04-01-2017, 08:25 AM
Not saying he DIDN'T do roids, but its not out of the possibility to do it clean. I knew guys who were 6'4 185 that I got to 225 in 2 years without cheating. So to go 220 to 290 in 4 years isn't impossible. Its also a lot easier by being dirty for two 9 week cycles.

i went from 175 to 220 in two years without doing anything but eating and drinking

pbmax
04-01-2017, 09:25 AM
Yeah, I shouldn't put him on blast like that. He wasn't all world in his first action with the Badgers, so it took some time. Its not like he did it all between 18 and 19.

The true crime is probably what they do legally to beef these kids up.

I do prefer red's regimen myself.

KYPack
04-01-2017, 09:34 AM
i went from 175 to 220 in two years without doing anything but eating and drinking

The way you pour in the oil, I'm surprised you only gained 35 lbs!

wist43
04-01-2017, 09:37 AM
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=111586&draftyear=2017&genpos=OLB

Thanks for posting this kid... absolutely loved his tape. I can easily see Hassan Reddick being a pro bowl player. Every snap of every game I watched of - he was the best player on the field.

Don't think he'll be there be there at our 2nd pick, but would love to see Cunningham in the 1st and Reddick in the 2nd.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The write-ups I read of him have as an OLB, but I see him as being so versatile that I think he can play anywhere. Would never have to come off the field. Would immediately become the best LB on our roster.

The question for this kid I think would be - do you spring for him in the 1st round??

red
04-01-2017, 10:56 AM

6'1" and 4.45 quite respectable

I think hoping for him in the 2nd is a bit of a fantasy, but I would love the pick if it came to pass

he did measure in a 6'3 and 200 and ran a 4.43 at the combine

dude is shooting up draft boards, and i'm starting to see him projected to us in the first

that size/speed combo is pretty damn impressive

BZnDallas
04-01-2017, 06:27 PM
Thanks for posting this kid... absolutely loved his tape. I can easily see Hassan Reddick being a pro bowl player. Every snap of every game I watched of - he was the best player on the field.

Don't think he'll be there be there at our 2nd pick, but would love to see Cunningham in the 1st and Reddick in the 2nd.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The write-ups I read of him have as an OLB, but I see him as being so versatile that I think he can play anywhere. Would never have to come off the field. Would immediately become the best LB on our roster.

The question for this kid I think would be - do you spring for him in the 1st round??

Everything on this kid I've seen has him going well before 29. If he fell that far I'd sprint to the podium. (Is that the first sprint to the podium comment made so far this off season?) I'm with you Wist, snatch this guy up if possible. Should be quality CB in the 2nd.

pbmax
04-01-2017, 06:42 PM
There is no way that kid is an OLB for the Packers. Would have to play inside.

Bretsky
04-01-2017, 06:46 PM
Everything on this kid I've seen has him going well before 29. If he fell that far I'd sprint to the podium. (Is that the first sprint to the podium comment made so far this off season?) I'm with you Wist, snatch this guy up if possible. Should be quality CB in the 2nd.

Consider this a RINGING ENDORSEMENT from Bretsky

He'd be a great draft pick for Green Bay and I'd be elated if he was there
I just don't think he will be

wist43
04-01-2017, 07:19 PM

Haven't investigated too in-depth yet... first write up I saw him had him in 2nd-3rd round. Based on what I saw, I'd definitely have him in the 1st.

Maybe TT can trade up?? One can dream...

Would actually rather have reddick over Cunningham, but I like Cunningham over McKinley.

BZnDallas
04-01-2017, 07:57 PM
I think Cunningham is intriguing. I don't know how big he is, but Deion Jones, Atlanta's 1st rounder last year, wasn't huge either and he was really fast and effective last year. I wouldn't be upset with a Cunningham/Reddick/Watt first round pick. If they aren't there i like McKinley. I agree it'll only be bc of his shoulder that he even makes it to 29. And I know you have issues with Clark but I'm cautiously optimistic. He's so young, I'll wait to draw my final conclusion on him just yet.

Bretsky
04-02-2017, 11:49 AM
he did measure in a 6'3 and 200 and ran a 4.43 at the combine

dude is shooting up draft boards, and i'm starting to see him projected to us in the first

that size/speed combo is pretty damn impressive

NFL Network has him going at 27 currently

wist43
04-02-2017, 08:48 PM
I think Cunningham is intriguing. I don't know how big he is, but Deion Jones, Atlanta's 1st rounder last year, wasn't huge either and he was really fast and effective last year. I wouldn't be upset with a Cunningham/Reddick/Watt first round pick. If they aren't there i like McKinley. I agree it'll only be bc of his shoulder that he even makes it to 29. And I know you have issues with Clark but I'm cautiously optimistic. He's so young, I'll wait to draw my final conclusion on him just yet.

Jones went in the 2nd round, pick 45... I wanted Jones last year too.

Eliot Wolf came right out and said the Packers don't value ILB's much though - and the guys I always see plugged in there aren't even on TT/Dom's radar.

I see Reddick as a more versatile Bobby Wagner type. He's listed as a DE/Edge rusher, but I'd start him in the middle and move him around... he'd be wasted in Dom's static 2-4.

Rutnstrut
04-03-2017, 05:54 PM
I don't think TT cares if they do PED's. Case in point would be Clay. There is no way that meathead got as big as he did in college without some chemical aids.

Bretsky
04-03-2017, 08:58 PM

Eliot Wolf came right out and said the Packers don't value ILB's much though - and the guys I always see plugged in there aren't even on TT/Dom's radar.

I see Reddick as a more versatile Bobby Wagner type. He's listed as a DE/Edge rusher, but I'd start him in the middle and move him around... he'd be wasted in Dom's static 2-4.

When did Eliott Wolf say that ? I'd have to agree with Wolf...who is..of course...the guy I wan to be our current GM

bobblehead
04-04-2017, 12:44 AM
I don't think TT cares if they do PED's. Case in point would be Clay. There is no way that meathead got as big as he did in college without some chemical aids.

Again, not saying he didnt do roids, but getting to 265 at 6'3"doesn't take a miracle.

BZnDallas
04-04-2017, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the assist Wist. I remember us talking about Jones as a first round possibility for GB, that's where my error occurred. In any case, that type of talent could surely help us.

Maxie the Taxi
04-05-2017, 04:32 PM
I recant my vote in the poll. I now think TT should draft two top CB's in the first two rounds. Shields is gone and our CB's last year sucked. From what I'm reading, maybe they can get Conley in the first and Witherspoon in the second. They both have speed and can cover.

Joemailman
04-05-2017, 05:56 PM
I recant my vote in the poll. I now think TT should draft two top CB's in the first two rounds. Shields is gone and our CB's last year sucked. From what I'm reading, maybe they can get Conley in the first and Witherspoon in the second. They both have speed and can cover.

Draft cornerbacks in the 1st 2 rounds. There's a foolproof strategy if there ever was one. :-P

Maxie the Taxi
04-05-2017, 06:10 PM
Draft cornerbacks in the 1st 2 rounds. There's a foolproof strategy if there ever was one. :-PIf at first you don't succeed...

pbmax
04-05-2017, 08:40 PM
Peter Schrager @PSchrags 36m36 minutes ago
Here's one for Wednesday night. Heard from multiple front office execs over last few days. Feeling is now Christian McCaffery goes Top 10.

wist43
04-05-2017, 10:25 PM
Peter Schrager @PSchrags 36m36 minutes ago
Here's one for Wednesday night. Heard from multiple front office execs over last few days. Feeling is now Christian McCaffery goes Top 10.

As long as he doesn't go to us at 29... would consider him in the 2nd maybe, but I'm not ginned up up about him.

wist43
04-05-2017, 10:28 PM
When did Eliott Wolf say that ? I'd have to agree with Wolf...who is..of course...the guy I wan to be our current GM

During one of the last 2 drafts... can't remember which one.

He, and TT, were being pepped by reporters about their having not addressed the ILB position.