PDA

View Full Version : Official OTA's/Minicamp Thread

Joemailman
04-04-2017, 06:13 AM
OTA's: May 22-23, May 31, June 1-2, June 5-8

Minicamp: June 13-15

Last year hoping to learn Lacy had lost weight. This year hoping to learn Spriggs and Fackrell have gained weight.

RashanGary
04-04-2017, 08:31 AM

Last year hoping to learn Lacy had lost weight. This year hoping to learn Spriggs and Fackrell have gained weight.

And hoping Clark and Lowry are stronger, leaner and ready to rumble!!!

arcilite
04-04-2017, 01:08 PM
and Trevor Davis has earned the trust of the Coach & QB

Tony Oday
04-04-2017, 01:39 PM
I hope we have an NFL Starter at RB and CB.

pbmax
04-04-2017, 01:51 PM
Jason Wahlers‏ @JTWahlers 2h2 hours ago
Please note the change to one of our OTA dates released yesterday. The Monday, June 5 OTA has been moved to Friday, June 9. #Packers

pbmax
04-04-2017, 01:53 PM
I hope we have an NFL Starter at RB and CB.

You are going to want to raise your expectations there Tony. The Browns have 22 starters every year.

pbmax
04-18-2017, 01:43 PM
Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 2h2 hours ago
Rodgers endorses Barclay at guard and potential of Patrick and Murphy to push him for the job.

Michael Cohen‏ @Michael_Cohen13 2h2 hours ago
#Packers OLB Clay Matthews said he did NOT need surgery to repair his injured shoulder. Injury needed time to rest and heal without contact.

#Packers LT David Bakhtiari said the offensive line room belongs to RT Bryan Bulaga following the departure of vocal leader T.J. Lang.

Aaron Rodgers said the #Packers don't necessarily need a RG through the draft. He likes the trio of Don Barclay, Kyle Murphy, Lucas Patrick.

With new additions at TE, #Packers QB Aaron Rodgers is excited about incorporating more "12" personnel on offense. That's 1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR.

Matthews on playing with Nick Perry: "When you can have us as bookends and keep us healthy, I think that’s a pretty good pass-rush tandem."

David Bakhtiari on Bryan Bulaga as a leader: "It’s Bryan’s offensive line room, hands down. I’m just excited to help execute what he wants."

Joemailman
05-23-2017, 09:37 AM
Today is first OTA open to the public. Biggest focus will likely be on the WR.s/TE's/DB's. With no real contact, can't really judge much of the other aspects.

gbgary
05-23-2017, 10:34 AM
mm seemed pleased at his presser just now (would you really expect him to say anything otherwise...lol).
wish i was there to watch the practices. would be cool.

pbmax
05-23-2017, 10:41 AM
McCarthy Presser:

Michael Cohen‏ @Michael_Cohen13 20m20 minutes ago
#Packers coach Mike McCarthy is at the podium now. Team put it in the first install yesterday. First public OTA is later this morning.

Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 19m19 minutes ago
Focus on the passing game, McCarthy says. Offense installed in eight segments. Must take advantage of players' skills. Tilted more to pass.

Wes Hodkiewicz‏ @WesHod 19m19 minutes ago
McCarthy: Quality of work is definitely higher with throwing the football. We're talking 6-7 percent of snaps from run to pass #Packers

Michael Cohen‏ @Michael_Cohen13 18m18 minutes ago
McCarthy said he doesn't adjust OTA planning based on size of the rookie class. He wants to get the ball moving quickly regardless of age.

Tom Pelissero‏ @TomPelissero
Roger Goodell is expected to tell NFL owners group celebrations, using ball as prop after TDs, going to ground, snow angels are now allowed.

Wes Hodkiewicz‏ @WesHod 15m15 minutes ago
McCarthy on Kenny Clark: Kenny is crushing it in the weight room. That's what you want to see. I look for Kenny to do a lot more #Packers

Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 14m14 minutes ago
Goal for offseason practices: Trust the process and "max out" these 10 practices and post-practice meetings.

Wes Hodkiewicz‏ @WesHod 13m13 minutes ago
McCarthy: "Helluva football player. I like the way he's come in and fits into the room, not only OL but locker room" #Packers

Michael Cohen‏ @Michael_Cohen13 12m12 minutes ago
McCarthy said all three veteran players — Evans, Jean Francois, House — have been excellent additions to the locker room so far. #Packers

HOW ABOUT MARTELLUS THERE COACH?

pbmax
05-23-2017, 01:32 PM
Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde 20m20 minutes ago
Also, #Packers top draft pick CB Kevin King not here because the University of Washington is on the quarters system. Expected for minicamp.

Jason Wilde‏ @jasonjwilde 23m23 minutes ago
Among injured #Packers not practicing today:
P Jacob Schum
CB Demetri Goodson
OLB Vince Biegel
C Corey Linsley
DT Letroy Guion dropped out.

Joemailman
05-23-2017, 01:42 PM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Safety Morgan Burnett still playing some at inside backer in the "nitro" package. Davon House and LaDarius Gunter are on the outside, Damarious Randall in the slot with Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Kentrell Brice at safety.
1h

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Rookie Josh Jones has already shown a nose for the ball. He just ripped the ball out of Randall Cobb's hands for a pass breakup on a corner route.
1h

Charles Rex Arbogast/AP Photo
57mRob Demovsky
Packers' best acquisition: Martellus Bennett
Bennett comes to the Packers with valuable postseason experience. He and Lance Kendricks should make Green Bay's double-tight-end sets difficult to defend.

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Packers open with Davon House and LaDarius Gunter at the corner spots with three safeties -- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Morgan Burnett and Kentrell Brice -- in the nickel. Damarious Randall and Quinten Rollins rotated in on the outside.
1h

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Packers incumbent punter Jake Schum has a minor back injury but is expected back on the field for OTAs soon. He will be in competition with rookie Justin Vogel.
2h

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Those not working at Packers OTAs because of injuries include: P Jacob Schum, CB Demetri Goodson, OLB Vince Biegel, C Corey Linsley, WR Michael Clark. Not here because of school restrictions: CB Kevin King, LB Josh Letuligasenoa. Not here for personal reasons: OLB Clay Matthews.
2h

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Clay Matthews isn't at today's OTA but it's not injury related. He's expected back soon.
2h

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Kevin King, the Packers' top draft pick, isn't at OTAs because his school, the University of Washington, is still in session. He's expected to be able to return for minicamp next month.
2h

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Jordy Nelson and Davante Adams are still doing the juggling drills that WR coach Luke Getsy implemented last offseason.
2h

pbmax
05-23-2017, 01:53 PM
During FA, someone posited House wasn't poised to be a starter.

I wonder which of Gunter and House will take a seat when King shows up? :confused:

Joemailman
05-23-2017, 02:10 PM

I wonder which of Gunter and House will take a seat when King shows up? :confused:

I think you're going to see so many different combinations it will be difficult to keep track of them all.

Rutnstrut
05-23-2017, 03:02 PM
I really like Linsley but this whole injured often thing is getting old. I'm not surprised Clay is gone for a non injury reason. He's probably making more stupid commercials. Not a bad idea as imo he doesn't have much more time in football.

gbgary
05-23-2017, 03:06 PM
Ryan Wood‏
@ByRyanWood

#Packers rookie safety Josh Jones lays a big hit on WR Jeff Janis in pass drills, despite no pads. That's a no-no. Rookie mistake.

Joemailman
05-23-2017, 03:25 PM
I really like Linsley but this whole injured often thing is getting old.

At least it's not a new injury. He had surgery in March.

Packers center Corey Linsley is recovering from ankle surgery that could keep him out for part of the offseason program, sources told ESPN.

One source described the procedure as a "clean-out to remove loose particles" stemming from the high ankle sprain he sustained late in the 2015 season. That injury, according to the source, is believed to have contributed to the hamstring injury he sustained last offseason that kept him out until Week 9 of last season.

Rutnstrut
05-23-2017, 04:54 PM
At least it's not a new injury. He had surgery in March.

I did not know that, that makes me feel a bit better. Hopefully they get the injuries out of the way before the season this year.

Brandon494
05-23-2017, 06:26 PM

Man I hope Gunter doesn't even make the final roster

texaspackerbacker
05-23-2017, 06:56 PM
Gunter was the best Corner the Packers had last season - presumably second only to King this year. I'm hoping to see him shut down the second receiver of teams. He did a pretty fair job against all except the top 4 or 5 WRs in the league last year. Did Randall ever play Slot last season? I like that move for this year if it stays.

Brandon494
05-23-2017, 08:04 PM
^thanks for proving my point Gunter is garbage

Brandon494
05-23-2017, 08:05 PM
Hope it's King, House, Randall, Rollins, and two undrafted FAs

texaspackerbacker
05-23-2017, 08:54 PM
Gunter shut down just about everybody this side of Julio Jones. Not many Corners shut him down. What more do you want from a UDFA? He'll do just fine as a #2 Corner if King can come through against the top WRs of opponents.

King, Gunter starting; Randall in the slot, Rollins and House as back ups along with maybe Hawkins or maybe keep only 5

bobblehead
05-23-2017, 10:44 PM
Gunter shut down just about everybody this side of Julio Jones. Not many Corners shut him down. What more do you want from a UDFA? He'll do just fine as a #2 Corner if King can come through against the top WRs of opponents.

King, Gunter starting; Randall in the slot, Rollins and House as back ups along with maybe Hawkins or maybe keep only 5

Tex, I'm on the bandwagon that Gunter can start in this league. He is pretty much a lock to make the roster.

HOWEVER...lets be clear. No one on that entire defense shut down just about everybody this side of Julio Jones. Controlled, contained. Didn't piss all over his shoes, yes. Shutdown? No.

Zool
05-25-2017, 11:09 PM
Smaller than a normal RB and unable to take the rigors of the NFL....or something like that
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DArui8DW0AAGNaE.jpg

wist43
05-26-2017, 07:37 AM
We were 31st, i.e. next to last defending the pass... I guess the bright side is that we could be worse ;)

Fritz
05-27-2017, 08:44 AM
Is it just me or is the guy in the top row middle wearing a yellow skirt, green tights, and gold ballet slippers?

Must be a Packer cornerback.

Joemailman
05-31-2017, 06:58 PM
http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/23/observations-from-packers-first-ota-session/

The Packers have a lot of depth at the wide receiver and tight end position heading into 2017. With the top three wide receivers spots locked up, the battle at the position is one to follow and on Tuesday Trevor Davis stood out at the position. Davis caught most – if not all – of the passes thrown his way, including a pass up the sideline that beat the defense over the top

Davis is kind of a forgotten guy. However, he has the best speed of any Packer WR not named Jeff Janis. A deep threat sure would be a great weapon to have.

Edit: This story was from last week. OTA's resume tomorrow.

smuggler
06-01-2017, 07:48 AM
Even if he's half a step slower than Janis, a little route running makes him pretty dangerous.

Patler
06-01-2017, 08:10 AM
Rollins had groin surgery, too. Did we know that?

Rollins, on the other hand, was out for three contests but was also nagged throughout the year, as he put off surgery until the season had concluded. According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel’s Michael Cohen, who spoke to Rollins, the same doctor who repaired Randall’s groin performed the surgery on Rollins.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2017/5/26/15687740/packers-third-year-cornerbacks-bounce-back-seasons-2017-injuries-randall-rollins

pbmax
06-01-2017, 08:38 AM
Rollins had groin surgery, too. Did we know that?

Did not know that.

Patler
06-01-2017, 09:59 AM
I have real hope that with reasonable health neither Randall nor Rollins will be the players they were last year.

Fritz
06-01-2017, 10:13 AM
What's with the groin surgeries? Is the groin the new hammy?

Teamcheez1
06-01-2017, 10:18 AM
Even if he's half a step slower than Janis, a little route running makes him pretty dangerous.

Either Janis or Davis will not be on the roster when the season starts.

Smidgeon
06-01-2017, 11:44 AM
Either Janis or Davis will not be on the roster when the season starts.

I'm guessing Janis. He was a fan favorite two years ago, but last year he did nothing to retain that title. Haven't heard a peep about his potential or progress. Nor have I heard any updates about his special teams abilities (although I still remember Crosby vouching for Janis's ability to halve a field for a return all by himself).

If he hasn't flashed within the system on called plays by now, then he's not going to. It's special teams or bust, and GB always appears willing to move on from special teams' aces in favor of skill position talent. And right now, there's a lot of WRs on the roster: Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Allison, Davis, Janis, Dupre (R), and Yancey (R). That's 8 starters and recent draft picks. I guess it isn't unprecedented to stash recent draft picks on the practice squad if they don't show much. So I guess it's possible.

Smidgeon
06-01-2017, 12:01 PM
Josh Jones is flashing early.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/38938/packers-should-find-a-place-for-playmaking-rookie-josh-jones

Patler
06-01-2017, 02:02 PM
I'm guessing Janis. He was a fan favorite two years ago, but last year he did nothing to retain that title. Haven't heard a peep about his potential or progress. Nor have I heard any updates about his special teams abilities (although I still remember Crosby vouching for Janis's ability to halve a field for a return all by himself).

Crosby was on McCarren's show, and they went over video of kickoff coverage. Crosby just kind of chuckled when they showed a couple clips of Janis coming from a left outside position on kickoffs to the right, running over a couple would-be blockers and getting to the far hash marks at about the 20 yard line before the return man got there. He didn't come anywhere near making the tackle, but the return guy had no choice but to look for something between the sidelines and where Janis was. Crosby laughed and said something like, "That's Jeff! He does that all the time."

We don't get to appreciate those types of things too often.

Rutnstrut
06-01-2017, 02:16 PM
Good point Patler. Special teams are under appreciated until they screw up. Janis is not only willing to play ST's, he's pretty damn good at it. He's worth keeping just for that. Besides they are going to want an experienced WR around when the fraud starts dropping passes the first part of the season.

texaspackerbacker
06-01-2017, 02:20 PM
It sure seems like Davis was the one who showed very little - and it seems like he got a helluva lot more opportunities than Janis. I really hope they give Janis the reps that arguably he shoulda gotten all along. If that happens, I expect him to shine as a WR in addition to what he does on special teams.

Patler
06-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Good point Patler. Special teams are under appreciated until they screw up. Janis is not only willing to play ST's, he's pretty damn good at it. He's worth keeping just for that. Besides they are going to want an experienced WR around when the fraud starts dropping passes the first part of the season.

Not just special teams in general, but the contributions of a player like Janis in the play mentioned, when he didn't come close to actually making the tackle, but forced the runner to turn up field into a half dozen other Packers in a limited area of the field, who easily made the tackle for a very modest return. It's easy to look at the number of ST tackles and wonder how much contribution there is, but a player abusing a couple would be blockers to cut the field width by 2/3 is worth quite a bit even if he doesn't make the tackle.

MadScientist
06-01-2017, 02:30 PM

And we are very good at noticing ST fuck-ups around here. However much experience Janis has, he makes too many mistakes in route running. Other than two hail Mary's on one drive of one game, Janis hasn't done anything to justify keeping him on offense. He is very much the offense's version of Jarrett Bush. With all the receivers, Janis will be hard pressed to make the roster.

Patler
06-01-2017, 02:59 PM
And we are very good at noticing ST fuck-ups around here. However much experience Janis has, he makes too many mistakes in route running. Other than two hail Mary's on one drive of one game, Janis hasn't done anything to justify keeping him on offense. He is very much the offense's version of Jarrett Bush. With all the receivers, Janis will be hard pressed to make the roster.

We always thought Bush would be hard pressed to make the roster, too; but he hung around for something like 9 years. Janis won't push anyone for playing time on offense, but I have a feeling that, like Bush for so many years, his spot on the 53 man roster might not be as tenuous as for some above him on the WR depth chart.

Joemailman
06-01-2017, 04:22 PM
What's with the groin surgeries? Is the groin the new hammy?

Rollins and Randall work out together in the offseason. I wonder if the Packers training staff might look at what their training regimen consists of. (Unintended joke opportunity here).

pbmax
06-01-2017, 04:41 PM
Rollins and Randall work out together in the offseason. I wonder if the Packers training staff might look at what their training regimen consists of. (Unintended joke opportunity here).

Maybe. But Randall (and I think Rollins) got hurt during games, not in the offseason. Bet its the more proximate cause.

Joemailman
06-01-2017, 04:49 PM
Maybe. But Randall (and I think Rollins) got hurt during games, not in the offseason. Bet its the more proximate cause.

Not sure what you meant by proximate cause. What I was suggesting is that perhaps their workout regimen doesn't focus enough on maintaining flexibility.

pbmax
06-01-2017, 06:52 PM
Not sure what you meant by proximate cause. What I was suggesting is that perhaps their workout regimen doesn't focus enough on maintaining flexibility.

And I am saying since they did not get hurt in OTAs, minicamps, training camp or preseason games (that we know of, they could have tweaked it almost any time), I would bet the cause was game action.

Joemailman
06-01-2017, 07:33 PM
http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/01/observations-from-packers-second-open-practice-of-otas/

Similar to the first open practice last week, the Packers threw the ball a lot during Thursday’s session. By design.

McCarthy said back in January that his team would work on pass defense a lot this offseason.

“We’ve made that decision already,” McCarthy said. “We may not run the ball until July. That’s what this time of year is for.”

So far, he’s kept his word. In the no-huddle and offense versus defense portion, there was about three running plays with each group. Even in group drills, the running backs worked mainly on the passing game, running wheel routes up the sideline and check down passes in the middle.

So far in the two open practices, Hundley has shown flashes – including a deep pass to Trevor Davis that beat the defense last week. During Thursday’s practice, Hundley hit tight end Lance Kendricks for a touchdown, but that was followed by an interception on the next play.

In the competition for the No. 3 quarterback job, Joe Callahan appeared to be the early leader. He took more reps than undrafted free agent Taysom Hill. In the no-huddle portion, Hill did not see any snaps, while Callahan did. Both Callahan and Hill rotated with each other in an early passing drill with the running backs that head coach Mike McCarthy monitored very closely.

A forgotten player this offseason, Max McCaffrey might be a dark horse in the wide receiver group to push for a 53-man roster spot. McCaffrey made two catches on deep passes in a passing drill with the receivers and defensive backs. In the offense versus defense portion, McCaffrey was included with the second team offense with Jeff Janis and Trevor Davis over 2017 draft picks DeAngelo Yancey and Malachi Dupre. During the start of practice, McCaffrey was also returning kicks, which could be another way for him to make a case for a roster spot this offseason.

Cornerback Damarious Randall once again lined up in the slot with the starting defense, while Davon House and LaDarius Gunter were on the outside. Quinten Rollins also made a nice pass breakup in the end zone on a Hundley pass to Martellus Bennett.

There was a fight in practice between offensive tackle Jason Spriggs and rookie outside linebacker Johnathan Calvin that included punches. The scuffle was eventually broken up and the practice moved on without a hitch.

How do 2 guys get mad enough in an unpadded practice to have a fight?

Joemailman
06-04-2017, 04:45 PM
Tex, I'm on the bandwagon that Gunter can start in this league. He is pretty much a lock to make the roster.

HOWEVER...lets be clear. No one on that entire defense shut down just about everybody this side of Julio Jones. Controlled, contained. Didn't piss all over his shoes, yes. Shutdown? No.

Joe Whitt is in Gunter's corner. http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Whitt-commends-House-for-leadership/fcb24e05-1066-4ff6-b6c7-1e6a11a85512 Comments about Gunter start at about 5:15.

gbgary
06-04-2017, 09:25 PM
Hundley has shown flashes – including a deep pass to Trevor Davis that beat the defense last week.

please tell me that wasn't against the projected #1's.

Joemailman
06-04-2017, 09:58 PM
please tell me that wasn't against the projected #1's.

Keep in mind nobody is trying to sack the QB. Offense should have the upper hand.

Guiness
06-05-2017, 12:03 PM
Davon House and LaDarius Gunter were on the outside.

Gunter on the outside? Am I missing something here? I thought he was slow, damn slow. What happens when the damn WR runs a 9 or a 7?

gbgary
06-05-2017, 12:18 PM
Keep in mind nobody is trying to sack the QB. Offense should have the upper hand.

i get that. it's that i hope davis didn't beat a #1 cb when the d pretty much knows what's coming. :shock:

if he beat an undrafted guy so be it.

Joemailman
06-12-2017, 06:09 PM
Players with 5 years experience will again be excused from minicamp.

By that measure, there will be 16 players who won’t participate in this week’s practices. They are: quarterback Aaron Rodgers, receivers Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb, tight ends Martellus Bennett and Lance Kendricks plus offensive linemen Don Barclay, Bryan Bulaga and Jahri Evans on offense; safety Morgan Burnett, cornerback Davon House defensive linemen Mike Daniels, Ricky Jean Francois and Letroy Guion plus linebackers Nick Perry and Clay Matthews on defense; and kicker Mason Crosby.

pbmax
06-12-2017, 07:33 PM
I get it, but I would like to see Evans, House and Francois all get the reps.

Plus Barclay cannot afford to stand still.

pbmax
06-14-2017, 11:35 AM
Tom Silverstein‏ @TomSilverstein 1h1 hour ago
McCarthy: Damarious Randall has had an outstanding off-season. Has been playing a lot of the "star" (slot) position.

McCarthy on DuPree: Definitely an accomplished WR in college. Probably has picked it up faster than any of the young perimeter players.

McCarthy on Josh Jones: Being taught in a progression, just like any player. We're not throwing him out there to see what sticks.

McCarthy on young players: Always made two laps on the installs. We've accomplished that. I've felt really good coming off the field.

McCarthy on intern Brandon Jackson: Looks like he could still play. Pat McKenzie wanted to give him a physical. Thought he was a player.

HE IS DOING PASS PRO COACHING WITH MONTY

McCarthy: Like the way Ty (Montgomery) has handled his off-season. Everybody else is following. All doing a really good job.

New from JSOnline and PackersNews: Photos: Packers Minicamp Day 1 http://ift.tt/2rrEbQI #Packers

More on Jones: He's made a lot of plays in space. He's not lining up at just one safety spot.

McCarthy on Fackrell weight gains: He can play, No. 1. He's bigger and stronger. Clearly feel he's making that jump. Has to keep weight on.

MM on Dean Lowry: He's active, instinctive. Very smart. He's had a great off-season, too.

MM on Hundley: Had three plays yesterday exactly what looking for. On one pass rush was coming and he threw a bullet over the middle.

Joemailman
06-14-2017, 07:37 PM

According to McCarren, Spriggs has put on 20 pounds and Fackrell 10.

pbmax
06-15-2017, 12:37 AM
According to McCarren, Spriggs has put on 20 pounds and Fackrell 10.

And they are trying Murphy at Guard. He isn't going to start ahead of Evans unless something drastic happens, but it'll be interesting to see if he can do it.

pbmax
06-15-2017, 08:22 AM
Anyone have a subscription?

Packer Report‏ @PackerReport
For our members: Randall looks like a star: http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/story/1785069-randall-looks-like-a-star
New dynamic at minicamp:

mraynrand
06-15-2017, 09:24 AM

For our members: Randall looks like a star: http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/story/1785069-randall-looks-like-a-star
New dynamic at minicamp:

My subscription ran out in 1987

hoosier
06-15-2017, 09:58 AM

New dynamic at minicamp:

Lazybones

http://rincon-sports.com/2017/06/14/randall-looks-like-a-star/

RashanGary
06-15-2017, 11:28 AM
It's exciting to hear good things about Randall, Clark, Lowry and Fackrell. Can't wait to see if the defense can bounce back strong!!

hoosier
06-15-2017, 01:32 PM
I would settle for bounce back average. But then of course the offense would get itself out of sync.

pbmax
06-15-2017, 03:14 PM
Lazybones

http://rincon-sports.com/2017/06/14/randall-looks-like-a-star/

It gets worse than that. I checked the link later to see if there was a free version or blurb, and the whole thing was available without a login at the time.

pbmax
06-15-2017, 03:21 PM
It's exciting to hear good things about Randall, Clark, Lowry and Fackrell. Can't wait to see if the defense can bounce back strong!!

We need a shorter name for Fackrell than Holy Fackrell.

How about just Frack? The Oklahoma Earthquake?

Do they frack in Arizona?

gbgary
06-15-2017, 05:17 PM
heard dupree beat someone down the sideline deep the other day. anyone know who he beat?

Joemailman
06-15-2017, 07:22 PM
We need a shorter name for Fackrell than Holy Fackrell.

How about just Frack? The Oklahoma Earthquake?

Do they frack in Arizona?

How about WTF? What The Fackrell?

Joemailman
06-15-2017, 08:00 PM
heard dupree beat someone down the sideline deep the other day. anyone know who he beat?

Nope. Just that it was against Cover 2. Dupree is my sleeper pick for this training camp. Projected as a possible 1st round pick going into 2016, he had a disappointing year, many say due to poor QB play. He probably should have stayed in school, but the Packers will benefit from the fact that he didn't.

Fritz
06-16-2017, 08:23 AM
And in Detroit, the media here is trumpeting a national article that mentioned the Detroit Lions' Jared Abbrederis as a candidate for NFL sleeper player of the year.

I figure that he'll do really great in training camp, and probably return some kicks and punts for TD's, then sometime in September go down with another injury.

He just has too slight of a build for the NFL. Great guy, very talented. Probably would be a superstar in the CFL.

bobblehead
06-16-2017, 11:13 AM
And in Detroit, the media here is trumpeting a national article that mentioned the Detroit Lions' Jared Abbrederis as a candidate for NFL sleeper player of the year.

I figure that he'll do really great in training camp, and probably return some kicks and punts for TD's, then sometime in September go down with another injury.

He just has too slight of a build for the NFL. Great guy, very talented. Probably would be a superstar in the CFL.

I hope he has 14 really good games. Love the kid. Hope he gets all the NFL has to offer.

hoosier
06-16-2017, 11:20 AM
It gets worse than that. I checked the link later to see if there was a free version or blurb, and the whole thing was available without a login at the time.

Still reads as premium content when I open your original link. Where do you see otherwise on that site?

mraynrand
06-16-2017, 11:53 AM

I bet he could beat Greg Robinson to the QB.

yetisnowman
06-16-2017, 01:09 PM

New dynamic at minicamp:

I grow very tired of these "So an so had a great offseason" articles. It seems like a handful of them come out every summer and a lot of time don't seem to mean much when you watch the season play out.
The part to me that's super infuriating, was referring to his tackling struggles. Both poor tackling, and a lack of interest in tackling. Both of which, Randall himself blamed on injuries. I mean if you're tackling like shit because you're hurt, that's one thing. But if you are avoiding attempting to tackle out of fear of reinjuring yourself, get off the field. Also statistically I am not sure Randall can have a worse season. Giving up 10 touchdown receptions while playing less than half the defensive snaps is about as bad as a defensive back can be.

Joemailman
06-16-2017, 01:42 PM
I grow very tired of these "So an so had a great offseason" articles. It seems like a handful of them come out every summer and a lot of time don't seem to mean much when you watch the season play out.
The part to me that's super infuriating, was referring to his tackling struggles. Both poor tackling, and a lack of interest in tackling. Both of which, Randall himself blamed on injuries. I mean if you're tackling like shit because you're hurt, that's one thing. But if you are avoiding attempting to tackle out of fear of reinjuring yourself, get off the field. Also statistically I am not sure Randall can have a worse season. Giving up 10 touchdown receptions while playing less than half the defensive snaps is about as bad as a defensive back can be.

One reason why I'm optimistic about this season. Improvement is almost guaranteed. Somehow Packers made it to the NFCCG with a sieve of a defensive backfield. Mere competence could make them hard to beat.

pbmax
06-16-2017, 02:34 PM
Randall was in a lot of bad positions last year and I do think that was a result of injuries.

For a corner, I haven't had any problem with his effort or willingness to tackle. His form needs work.

They should just adopt the Seahawks rugby tackle for the DBs who don't want to slam into someone.

Fritz
06-16-2017, 02:57 PM

It's fluff, for sure, Yeti, but they're trying to fill the gap between the end of the season and the beginning of the next. I, too, would enjoy an occasional article about how so-and-so came to minicamp way overweight and holding a Lucky Strike in one hand and a can of Bud in the other, but Eddie Lacy and Brent Favre aren't here any more.

Besides, if you just wait a little longer, there's sure to be a "Packer Defensive Lineman Busted for Pot/Guns/Stripjoint Incident in Florida" soon enough.

pbmax
06-17-2017, 01:35 PM
Herb Waters gets some buzz. Nice quotes from Whitt about what he likes in a DB.

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/corys-corner-just-who-is-herb-waters-553?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

He was an undrafted rookie receiver out of Miami in 2016. Sounds promising right? The stable of Hurricanes’ receivers has guys like Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne and Santana Moss.

Then Waters got cut and Packers cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt Jr. had to sway him to learn a new position while being on an NFL practice squad. Waters said yes and Whitt is pretty happy he did.

“When I saw him in rookie camp I asked for him then,” Whitt said with a smile. “When he was at receiver. I didn’t get him then, but I asked for him then. He has the skill set that I like to coach. He has long arms, he can bend, he can get out his hips. He can see and he can get the ball.”

This writer maintains the best efforts of mini camp at DB have been from House and Rollins.

Fritz
06-18-2017, 12:42 PM
It would be nice if Rollins could develop; Randall's gotten the most criticism and the most praise, but Rollins was a second round pick - that's a big investment in a guy who seems too slow to start and not saavy enough to get around his limitations.

KYPack
06-18-2017, 09:27 PM
Waters has another thing going for him. An ex UM wide receiver making the trans to CB, just like Sam Shields. Whitt did a brilliant job of teaching Sammy the job. Maybe he can catch lightning in a bottle again with Waters.

Randall and Rollins are solid athletes, but both of them get lost at times. I know Joe has gone over this a million times with 'em, but they both need to work on their pre-snap mechanics. Our two best CB's in pre-snap Gunter and House. They both really concentrate on their pre-snap set-up. Maybe Joe can pour some STP gas treatment in Gunter's tank and get him some more speed.

smuggler
06-19-2017, 03:14 PM
Gunter with more speed is a 1st round pick. But he's not going to gain a step overnight. He's at his physical limits.

pbmax
06-19-2017, 04:12 PM
Gunter with more speed is a 1st round pick. But he's not going to gain a step overnight. He's at his physical limits.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0192/0402/products/Strength_Shoe_45_degree_angle_7a5cfc30-1f87-4f43-8bcc-33a953fc7b05_1024x1024.jpg?v=1489610559

texaspackerbacker
06-19-2017, 04:59 PM

Gunter played better than any other Packer Corner last season. Unfortunately, he couldn't handle some of the top receivers of other teams. However, I think he'd be a damn fine second Corner if Kevin King or maybe House can take over as the top Corner. I'm glad they put Randall in the slot, as that means Gunter is more likely to get a crack at being a starting Corner. The key to it all is having that #1 emerge - hopefully King. Then we've got a ton of quality and depth. Otherwise, it's just like last year but with more choices.

Joemailman
06-19-2017, 05:44 PM
Gunter played better than any other Packer Corner last season. Unfortunately, he couldn't handle some of the top receivers of other teams. However, I think he'd be a damn fine second Corner if Kevin King or maybe House can take over as the top Corner. I'm glad they put Randall in the slot, as that means Gunter is more likely to get a crack at being a starting Corner. The key to it all is having that #1 emerge - hopefully King. Then we've got a ton of quality and depth. Otherwise, it's just like last year but with more choices.

The problem is that unless things have changed, The Packers don't have a #1 corner who they put on the other teams #1 receiver. They play sides. So unless the Packers change things, opposing teams can put their #1 WR against Gunter, and force the Packers to decide if they want to give Gunter help.

Bretsky
06-20-2017, 07:28 PM
I hope he does awesome, but I don't share the love fest for King. Still think Watt would have done great in GB

bobblehead
06-21-2017, 01:40 PM

Hmmm....first time I've agreed with Tex in awhile. You nailed it.

pbmax
06-21-2017, 04:06 PM
Hmmm....first time I've agreed with Tex in awhile. You nailed it.

Joe nailed the problem though. Neither King not House are gonna shadow the #1 receiver. At least, neither has done it professionally before (unsure if King played sides or matchup in college).

So if Gunter is the RCB, he's going to get the fastest #1 WRs and the defense is going to have to roll coverage. So your defense is already on the defensive.

MadScientist
06-21-2017, 04:48 PM
I hope he does awesome, but I don't share the love fest for King. Still think Watt would have done great in GB
I think Watt would have been terrible paired up against #1 receivers.

As for Gunter, I like him as a backup, as he is assignment-sure, but he is just limited physically. If House has lost a step, then Gunter may be the best option, but at the moment I'd rather House be the second outside CB. That is what he was brought in for.

texaspackerbacker
06-21-2017, 07:40 PM
Joe nailed the problem though. Neither King not House are gonna shadow the #1 receiver. At least, neither has done it professionally before (unsure if King played sides or matchup in college).

So if Gunter is the RCB, he's going to get the fastest #1 WRs and the defense is going to have to roll coverage. So your defense is already on the defensive.

That may very well be the way things were done in the past, but I'll give Capers the benefit of the doubt in terms of adjusting things based on circumstance. Whether that means getting away from the "sides" thing or giving Safety help at times or whatever, I don't think he's just gonna sit back and let a Corner get beat by speed or whatever. Besides, a slower Corner like Gunter can do some adjusting himself using angles, etc. to deal with a speed guy. There were only a very few who beat him bad last year, so some of those he handled must have had pretty fair speed.

pbmax
06-21-2017, 07:53 PM
That may very well be the way things were done in the past, but I'll give Capers the benefit of the doubt in terms of adjusting things based on circumstance. Whether that means getting away from the "sides" thing or giving Safety help at times or whatever, I don't think he's just gonna sit back and let a Corner get beat by speed or whatever. Besides, a slower Corner like Gunter can do some adjusting himself using angles, etc. to deal with a speed guy. There were only a very few who beat him bad last year, so some of those he handled must have had pretty fair speed.

It was a mess last year, so we probably shouldn't draw too hard a conclusion from it, but Gunter did not shift away from the right side last year.

bobblehead
06-22-2017, 02:40 PM

That may have been precisely because we didn't have a true #1. They might line up differently if King suddenly emerges as that guy.

bobblehead
06-22-2017, 02:42 PM

Oh good lord...twice in the same thread.

pbmax
06-22-2017, 07:29 PM

You can't double everywhere. Someone needs to win one on one or his pressure packages don't work.

Someone would have to take the #1 and matchup from Gunter. And my bet is that its House at the start of the season.

bobblehead
06-23-2017, 12:39 AM
You can't double everywhere. Someone needs to win one on one or his pressure packages don't work.

Someone would have to take the #1 and matchup from Gunter. And my bet is that its House at the start of the season.

you don't have to double up everywhere. The point is if Gunter is on the #1 you give him help. If King becomes shutdown he doesn't need help. Or you change the scheme to put King on the #1. Of course this entire debate is predicated on someone emerging as a shutdown corner....a scenario that will make me very happy.

Fritz
06-23-2017, 01:32 PM
I just don't see any of the current bunch as an outside shut-down corner.

bobblehead
06-23-2017, 02:04 PM
I just don't see any of the current bunch as an outside shut-down corner.

King has the physical attributes. Time will tell if he utilizes them.

MadScientist
06-23-2017, 02:14 PM
you don't have to double up everywhere. The point is if Gunter is on the #1 you give him help. If King becomes shutdown he doesn't need help. Or you change the scheme to put King on the #1. Of course this entire debate is predicated on someone emerging as a shutdown corner....a scenario that will make me very happy.
If the #2 has good speed Gunter will struggle. Also if the Packers are forced to double, the offense will know that and take advantage of holes opened elsewhere. We have countless posts here bitching about Capers defense failing, but so often the root cause is that the defense has to make up for a player that has readily exposed limitations. The defense doesn't need all-pro's at every position to work, but if you have to trot out a guy who will almost always lose a one-on-one match-up, it will take multiple all-pro types to make up for it (e.g. Mathews, Collins and Woodson were enough to make up for having poor ILB's).

I don't hate Gunter, he doesn't screw up mentally and gets the most out of his physical abilities. That said, if he is a starter, the Packers are in trouble. Especially since there is now plenty of tape on him getting torched worse than California last year.

GBkrzygrl
06-23-2017, 02:21 PM
AS we all know Capers' defense is difficult to pick up. I'm curious about King's football smarts and his ability to learn the defense. I can see him playing some from the get-go but only in certain packages.

Bossman641
06-23-2017, 08:29 PM
If the #2 has good speed Gunter will struggle. Also if the Packers are forced to double, the offense will know that and take advantage of holes opened elsewhere. We have countless posts here bitching about Capers defense failing, but so often the root cause is that the defense has to make up for a player that has readily exposed limitations. The defense doesn't need all-pro's at every position to work, but if you have to trot out a guy who will almost always lose a one-on-one match-up, it will take multiple all-pro types to make up for it (e.g. Mathews, Collins and Woodson were enough to make up for having poor ILB's).

I don't hate Gunter, he doesn't screw up mentally and gets the most out of his physical abilities. That said, if he is a starter, the Packers are in trouble. Especially since there is now plenty of tape on him getting torched worse than California last year.

Agreed. He's not going to get any faster. If we're stuck with gunter starting its a bad sign

smuggler
06-24-2017, 01:38 AM
CMIII and Woodson had Dez Bishop in 2010 and he was an above-average level player.