PDA

View Full Version : Lions Coach Arrested - DRIVING NUDE

retailguy
09-06-2006, 10:19 PM
POSTED 9:46 p.m. EDT, September 6, 2006

LIONS SHOULD HAVE KNOWN WHAT THEY WERE GETTING IN CULLEN

In its report regarding the recent arrests of Lions defensive line coach Joe "Lady Godiva" Cullen, the Detroit Free Press explains that the Lions didn't bother to call Mississippi Athletic Director Pete Boone for a reference, which likely would have alerted the Lions to Cullen's March 2005 arrest for public intoxication.

Though the Lions won't say whether they knew about Cullen's history, they clearly should have. Even without making a phone call to Pete Boone.

As it turns out, all the team needed to do was search the Internet, which would have revealed that Cullen was actually fired by Mississippi after his arrest -- and that he then sued the school for $434,000.

(Curious, Cullen's online bio omits reference of any kind to his stint at Ole Miss. Ditto for the news release announcing his hiring.)

A basic search also would have revealed that Cullen was reprimanded in 2003 by the University of Indiana for going Bob Knight on one of his players.

So the Lions knew and stupidly hired Cullen anyway, or they stupidly didn't know. Either way, it's an inexcusable outcome for a team that when hiring personnel in the future might want to invest in, say, a roulette wheel.

Thanks, Taco Bill, for finding those stories. You are now officially overqualified to run the Lions' security department.

POSTED 8:55 p.m. EDT, September 6, 2006

LIONS COACH BUSTED FOR DWN

Okay, now we have officially heard everything. Every single thing. Nothing, from this point forward, will surprise us. Not a President getting it on with an intern half his age. Not a President with the intellectual capacity of an intern half his age. Not a crocodile wrestler felled by a two-year-old with a rusty stapler.

Nothing. We'll never by surprised again.

An assistant coach with the Detroit Lions has been arrested for (drum roll . . . keep it going . . . finish with the cow bell) driving while nude.

According to the Detroit Free Press, defensive line coach Joe Cullen has been arrested twice in the last two weeks. Once for driving while intoxicated. Once for driving while de-pants-ified.

And the guy is still on the job, with the team at practice on Wednesday. Cullen walked away when asked about the incidents, and the team later issued this statement on his behalf:

"I would like to apologize to the Detroit Lions organization, our fans, my family and friends for any embarrassment these incidents have caused. These incidents represent a mistake in judgment on my part. I deeply regret them and have learned a valuable lesson. It won't happen again."

Cullen was arrested for DWN on August 24, the night before the team flew to Oakland for a preseason game. (We assume he boarded the plane fully clothed.) Cullen then was arrested and generated a 0.12 percent blood alcohol concentration via breath testing on September 1, after the Lions played their final preseason game against the Bills. The legal limit in Michigan is 0.08.

Coach Rod Marinelli, who hired Cullen, declined comment and referred all inquiries to team president Matt Millen. Said Millen in a statement: "We are obviously very disappointed. These are very serious matters that will be handled sternly and appropriately by our organization. Coach Cullen requested immediate help in seeking treatment. That assistance has been provided and a comprehensive, private program has been established for him."

Hey, we're fully in favor of guys who have real problems trying to cure them. But we tend to be more sympathetic when treatment is sought, you know, before multiple arrests are made.

And what kind of treatment is available for a guy who makes like Lady Godiva? Notes on the bathroom mirror reminding him to get dressed before he leaves the house, not after?

We also don't feel sorry for the Lions. If the team had done a basic background check on Cullen, they would have realized that he'd been involved in an alcohol-related arrest while coaching at Mississippi in early 2005. But the chronically inept Lions didn't even bother to call the Mississippi Athletic Director for a reference.

So is it any wonder why this organization has been so bad for so long? We know that the Lions are suddenly a trendy pick to become a legitimate contender for the postseason, based on the hiring of an old-school head coach who previously hadn't gotten a single interview for such a position at the NFL level. But even if Rod Marinelli is the reincarnation of Vince Lombardi, the incompetence runs far too deep in Detroit for one man to make much of a difference.

retailguy
09-06-2006, 10:21 PM
How can you not laugh at this?????? It is the LIONS. Again.... It never gets old. It never ends....

MacCool606
09-06-2006, 10:42 PM
try explaining that one in the locker room - lol

chewy-bacca
09-06-2006, 11:27 PM
that is just sad

GrnBay007
09-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Is that story for real? how weird!!

CaptainKickass
09-07-2006, 12:07 AM
The Captain laughed heartily

(The Captain is laughing so hard that he has to speak in the 3rd person)

Der - Dee - Der

Damn retards.

Guiness
09-07-2006, 12:33 AM
Wow - that officially makes the Pack the upstanding citizens of the NFC North, and it was settled before the first game of the season!

Chicago has a player go postal in a waffle house.
Minnesota has a player run from the cops while drunk.
Detroit has a drunken coach driving around nude. Let's be thankful HE wasn't on a Hyabusa.

We've been clean so far, right? Or did I miss something?

Damn. Just remembered C.Rodgers shooting off the gun outside a night club. Ok, but this incident with the coach still raises the bar!

Bretsky
09-07-2006, 12:36 AM
Is that story for real? how weird!!

Nothing wrong with taking a lil breezy drive in the buff

Willard
09-07-2006, 12:59 AM
I have just removed my pants in honor of Coach Cullens.

Rastak
09-07-2006, 05:09 AM
From profootballtalk.com:

LIONS SHOULD HAVE KNOWN WHAT THEY WERE GETTING IN CULLEN

In its report regarding the recent arrests of Lions defensive line coach Joe "Lady Godiva" Cullen, the Detroit Free Press explains that the Lions didn't bother to call Mississippi Athletic Director Pete Boone for a reference, which likely would have alerted the Lions to Cullen's March 2005 arrest for public intoxication.

Though the Lions won't say whether they knew about Cullen's history, they clearly should have. Even without making a phone call to Pete Boone.

As it turns out, all the team needed to do was search the Internet, which would have revealed that Cullen was actually fired by Mississippi after his arrest -- and that he then sued the school for $434,000.

(Curiously, Cullen's online bio omits reference of any kind to his stint at Ole Miss. Ditto for the news release announcing his hiring.)

A basic search also would have revealed that Cullen was reprimanded in 2003 by the Indiana University for going Bob Knight on one of his players.

So the Lions knew and stupidly hired Cullen anyway, or they stupidly didn't know. Either way, it's an inexcusable outcome for a team that when hiring personnel in the future might want to invest in, say, a roulette wheel.

Thanks, Taco Bill, for finding those stories. You are now officially overqualified to run the Lions' security department.

Kiwon
09-07-2006, 06:30 AM
OKAY.....sounds like fun.

Coach C might be a devotee of Richard Hatch ("Undress for Success")

BallHawk
09-07-2006, 06:36 AM
When Cullen goes into the locker room, all the Lions players should give him a big box of Godiva chocolates. That would be funny.

red
09-07-2006, 07:39 AM
this is unreal, how can a coach get any respct from his players after something like this?

Zool
09-07-2006, 07:55 AM
I had no idea driving nude was illegal.

GrnBay007
09-07-2006, 08:14 AM

No more summer drives in the buff for you, eh? :wink:

Zool
09-07-2006, 08:20 AM

No more summer drives in the buff for you, eh? :wink:

Well I'm a rebel, so I'm not lettin the man keep me down.

run pMc
09-07-2006, 08:44 AM
LMAO

Why do you suppose he was driving without pants?

MJZiggy
09-07-2006, 08:55 AM
I hope he at least had a towel on the seat...ewwww.

Iron Mike
09-07-2006, 08:58 AM
C'mon, like the rest of you have NEVER driven around nude!!!!!

Go ahead--add the experience to the "How Much Are You Worth?" thread!!! :razz: I need to catch up to Tarlam!

oregonpackfan
09-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Another fine personnel decision by GM Matt Millen!

The Lions have to give Cullen credit for something. At least while he wasn't carrying the Lions' playbook in his back pocket while driving nude.

OPF

sharpe1027
09-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Man, I feel sorry for the poor officer that had to witness that. I bet he didn't even have to bother asking "Sir, have you been drinking?"

Willard
09-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Another fine personnel decision by GM Matt Millen!

The Lions have to give Cullen credit for something. At least while he wasn't carrying the Lions' playbook in his back pocket while driving nude.

OPF

Don't be so sure. I hear the results of the cavity search have not been released to the public yet. :shock:

Guiness
09-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Congradulations Willard.

You made me think about that. :cry:

Cheesehead Craig
09-07-2006, 12:31 PM
At least I hope that his car had cloth seats and not leather. Otherwise, when he tries to get out... OUCH!

mngolf19
09-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Wow - that officially makes the Pack the upstanding citizens of the NFC North, and it was settled before the first game of the season!

Chicago has a player go postal in a waffle house.
Minnesota has a player run from the cops while drunk.
Detroit has a drunken coach driving around nude. Let's be thankful HE wasn't on a Hyabusa.

We've been clean so far, right? Or did I miss something?

Damn. Just remembered C.Rodgers shooting off the gun outside a night club. Ok, but this incident with the coach still raises the bar!

Minnesota cut their problem child listed above and he is now being looked at by the Pack. You want to change your tune?

Fritz
09-08-2006, 08:46 AM
"Well I'm a rebel, so I'm not lettin the man keep me down."
-Zool

Does the man keep you up?

I'm telling you, the Lions. When Marinelli first started, I was a little worried. Maybe this guy would bring the discipline needed, and Martz would kick start the offense.

But after hearing Marinelli refer to his "men" over and over, after seeing him fly them to the west coast the day of a game to make sure they were tough, after this whole driving-nude coach thing, I'm wondering if maybe there was a reason this dude was a defensive line coach his whole career. I could be wrong, of course. I'll hold my breath and wait.

Go Pack.

KYPack
09-08-2006, 08:57 AM
The truth in this Cullen story is turning out to be way goofier than fiction.

Cullen was tooling around nude and drunk when he decided he was hungry.

So he pulled into Wendy's! Ya know, the drive thru, where ya get yer food when yer naked. Nutz does it all the time.

The cat that took his order told the guy at the second window that the next customer was naked!.

The guy had Cullen pull out of line and took him his order.

Evidently, the drive in people called the cops on the coach.

Cullen isn't that big of an animal, he only ordered a single.