PDA

View Full Version : Apparently the on-roster replacements weren't enough - Jahri Evans signing

Smidgeon
04-26-2017, 03:08 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/26/report-jahri-evans-signing-with-packers/

texaspackerbacker
04-26-2017, 03:56 PM
Apparently the guy is healthy, and at age 33, he should still have something left. He was supposedly the highest paid guard in the league 7 years ago, and he finished his big contract or close to it. There is at least reason to be hopeful. I assume he signed cheap and could be cut with no great harm if he isn't any good.

Teamcheez1
04-26-2017, 04:39 PM
Why not sign some depth? The first injury and everyone will be after TT for not having some veteran experience.

Joemailman
04-26-2017, 04:49 PM
This is the kind of move I think a lot of people wish TT would make more often. Acquire a solid veteran who can be a stop-gap until your young guys are ready to start.

MadScientist
04-26-2017, 04:58 PM
This is the kind of move I think a lot of people wish TT would make more often. Acquire a solid veteran who can be a stop-gap until your young guys are ready to start.

I'm not against this move, but TT did try this kind of thing a couple of years ago with a guy by the name of Jeff Saturday. Hope he's a good stop-gap, but they better be prepared if he isn't.

Joemailman
04-26-2017, 05:25 PM
I'm not against this move, but TT did try this kind of thing a couple of years ago with a guy by the name of Jeff Saturday. Hope he's a good stop-gap, but they better be prepared if he isn't.

I thought about Saturday too. You never know for sure when a veteran will fall off the cliff. Still, this strikes me as a no risk/moderate gain move. Evans clearly is past his prime, but he was pretty solid last year.

pbmax
04-26-2017, 05:52 PM
You want him on bench, and for a youngster to start

pbmax
04-26-2017, 05:53 PM
Wait, will he cost a compensatory pick?

Rutnstrut
04-26-2017, 06:01 PM

Except this isn't a step forward move. This is Tightwad Ted realizing he screwed the pooch royally with Lang and now trying to cover his worthless ass.

King Friday
04-26-2017, 07:11 PM

Jeff Saturday was almost 40 when the Packers signed him...Evans is only 33. Plus, Evans was a better player in his prime than Saturday ever was.

texaspackerbacker
04-26-2017, 07:59 PM
33 and no major injuries ain't bad for an O Lineman. Saturday, as I recall, in addition to old, was undersized - predictable he would fail. Evans, unless there is stuff we don't know, could be a decent starter for a couple of years. It wouldn't take much to be better than Barclay, and Rodgers' mobility makes everybody seem better.

Brandon494
04-26-2017, 08:19 PM
Good signing...now we can focus on defense in the draft.

red
04-26-2017, 09:21 PM
Something isn't right here

How did he play last year?

And why was he cut by Seattle last year before the regular season. I get why the saint first cut him, he was expensive, but he was only counting a million against the cap in Seattle, that's cheap even for a backup

Sure he was once awesome, but is he any good anymore?

BZnDallas
04-26-2017, 09:23 PM
Good signing...now we can focus on defense in the draft.

Agreed! Evans was the 5th best pass blocking Guard in football last year. Lang was 2nd. For the price TT might come out ahead on this if they can show him an opportunity to win and get a couple years out of him.

call_me_ishmael
04-26-2017, 09:51 PM
Good signing. I like this new TT. Gut feeling - TT is handing over more of the reigns to some of the younger staff knowing they are gonna be running the whole ship in two years.

Bretsky
04-26-2017, 10:01 PM

:bclap::bclap::bclap::bclap::bclap:

KYPack
04-26-2017, 10:10 PM
Evans played well last season w/ the Saints. He's got at least one, mebbe two years in his tank. Even tho he's a Pennsylvania boy, it's always been his dream to play for the GBP. He excels at both run blocking and has great pass pro. The question with him is durability. 33 yr olds get hurt easier than the kids. They need to be careful with him, he doesn't need a ton of Pre season snaps. This could be a good addition for us.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2017, 11:22 PM
PFF had him ranked #36 and Lane Taylor at #41 at OG last year. Putting both in the average starter range, but that would be good enough with Aaron Rodgers at QB. Especially considering the money they are spending at the position. I still think Patrick might be a sleeper. The organization seems to like his potential. I think this puts Barclay at super utility, where he belongs. It will likely be Evans starting with Patrick and Murphy challenging this year and possibly replacing next year.

Upnorth
04-26-2017, 11:42 PM
Great pass blocker, average run from what I've read.

Deputy Nutz
04-27-2017, 07:53 AM
This was a solid move by Thompson.

Pugger
04-27-2017, 08:14 AM

And why was he cut by Seattle last year before the regular season. I get why the saint first cut him, he was expensive, but he was only counting a million against the cap in Seattle, that's cheap even for a backup

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2017/03/seahawks_gm_john_schneider_reg.html

smuggler
04-27-2017, 09:13 AM
Good signing. Hope he plays well.

red
04-27-2017, 10:04 AM
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2017/03/seahawks_gm_john_schneider_reg.html

Yeah, lets hope that's all true, sounds like he played well last year

And I'm guessing he isn't costing much more then a million bucks

So even if he doesn't work out, we aren't out much

Looks like a good move, and hopefully means we don't have to draft a guard on the first two days

Worst case scenario is that he adds the solid vet backup depth I've been asking for for years it seems

Joemailman
04-27-2017, 10:11 AM
Yeah, lets hope that's all true, sounds like he played well last year

And I'm guessing he isn't costing much more then a million bucks

So even if he doesn't work out, we aren't out much

Looks like a good move, and hopefully means we don't have to draft a guard on the first two days

Worst case scenario is that he adds the solid vet backup depth I've been asking for for years it seems

He played last year for the Saints for 1 million, so I would imagine that's about what he'll make this year.

I don't think his signing affects the draft. I doubt TT was going to draft a guard in the 1st 2 rounds anyway. After that, if there's a Guard TT likes, he'll draft him since Evans is likely only a very short term solution.

pbmax
04-27-2017, 10:27 AM
The only problem with this offseason is that every year Ted does things we agree with, the team gets worse.

I want an unknown small school CB who runs track in the second round. Better yet, an unknown small school safety or WR.

And everyone here who has liked these offseason signings to scream REACH!!

gbgary
04-27-2017, 10:55 AM

for THIS Packers team it would have been much better to resign lang. signing a stop-gap/back-up/depth guy doesn't do it.

BZnDallas
04-27-2017, 11:08 AM
for THIS Packers team it would have been much better to resign lang. signing a stop-gap/back-up/depth guy doesn't do it.

Lol. Ok now you're just doing a bit. And hey, I'm all for bits and having fun. But even Red has come around on Evans at the very least being a solid vet backup. The type y'all have been bitching about ALL off season (and beyond). So to keep your grade a D, after the 5th, and new FA record for TT. All I can come up with is you're doing a bit. Unless you really are that subjective.

Joemailman
04-27-2017, 12:24 PM
The only problem with this offseason is that every year Ted does things we agree with, the team gets worse.

I want an unknown small school CB who runs track in the second round. Better yet, an unknown small school safety or WR.

And everyone here who has liked these offseason signings to scream REACH!!

Speaking of Safety.. Morgan Burnett is entering the last year of his contract. Behind him and HHCD, the Packers don't have a drafted player. Could Safety be more of a priority with TT than most people are thinking?

Smidgeon
04-27-2017, 12:36 PM
Speaking of Safety.. Morgan Burnett is entering the last year of his contract. Behind him and HHCD, the Packers don't have a drafted player. Could Safety be more of a priority with TT than most people are thinking?

Is Brice that diamond in the rough or is he Peprah 2.0?

gbgary
04-27-2017, 12:43 PM
Lol. Ok now you're just doing a bit. And hey, I'm all for bits and having fun. But even Red has come around on Evans at the very least being a solid vet backup. The type y'all have been bitching about ALL off season (and beyond). So to keep your grade a D, after the 5th, and new FA record for TT. All I can come up with is you're doing a bit. Unless you really are that subjective.

is he better than lang? no...so it's a fail. it's all about getting better. is the team any better than last year? no!

BZnDallas
04-27-2017, 01:00 PM
is he better than lang? no...so it's a fail. it's all about getting better. is the team any better than last year? no!

Glad the NFL is so cut and dry, black and white to you with no room for grey. Was Sitton's replacement better? NO! Life went on! As it will w/o Lang. Is the team better with or without Evans? Better, absolutely? Then the grade should go up, or you look like the little boy who took his ball and went home.

BZnDallas
04-27-2017, 01:05 PM
Hell I guess its your grading scale. Lol If you can't see the difference that's on you. We agree in that Evans isn't Lang. But Evans is better than what we had. So TT did what YOU asked by bringing in veteran talent. Now you don't give credit? That's on you.

gbgary
04-27-2017, 01:10 PM
Hell I guess its your grading scale. Lol If you can't see the difference that's on you. We agree in that Evans isn't Lang. But Evans is better than what we had. So TT did what YOU asked by bringing in veteran talent. Now you don't give credit? That's on you.

we had lang but let him go. if you agree that evans isn't as good as lang then you must agree we're worse at that position. i'd have given tt credit had he resigned lang.

bobblehead
04-27-2017, 01:11 PM

Every time we (the posters) say this about a guy TT DIDN'T sign you poopoo everyone and rail against ted. Now he signs that guy that was unwanted by his prior team and you do a bigger course reversal than Trump on any given topic.

bobblehead
04-27-2017, 01:11 PM
Good signing. I like this new TT. Gut feeling - TT is handing over more of the reigns to some of the younger staff knowing they are gonna be running the whole ship in two years.

So...good move, couln't possibly be TT that did it.

BZnDallas
04-27-2017, 01:13 PM
Just curious, how many Pro Bowl players leave for more money and get replaced with better talent? Has that EVER happened? Are we being realistic? Lol

gbgary
04-27-2017, 01:16 PM
Just curious, how many Pro Bowl players leave for more money and get replaced with better talent? Has that EVER happened? Are we being realistic? Lol

that's why you should keep your pro bowl talent. especially when you're trying to take that last step to the superbowl. if you're 8-8, rebuilding, and in cap trouble, you let them go.

bobblehead
04-27-2017, 01:19 PM

They like Brice and some think Rollins ends up a safety...or is it randall?

PS...back to the thread, this is supposed to be a horrible draft for OL. That might have sparked this signing a bit.

bobblehead
04-27-2017, 01:19 PM

So when you compare an injured TE who can't block to Bennet and you compare Lang to Evans you don't call that a net win?

BZnDallas
04-27-2017, 01:20 PM
that's why you should keep your pro bowl talent. especially when you're trying to take that last step to the superbowl. if you're 8-8, rebuilding, and in cap trouble, you let them go.

Unless they're over paid. Smart teams pay QBs not Guards.

bobblehead
04-27-2017, 01:21 PM
we had lang but let him go. if you agree that evans isn't as good as lang then you must agree we're worse at that position. i'd have given tt credit had he resigned lang.

We most certainly DID NOT have lang. He was a FA. Unrestricted no less. He got paid like a tackle. Glad for him. Glad TT isn't the guy who did pay him.

texaspackerbacker
04-27-2017, 01:27 PM
I wouldn't rule out Evans actually being an upgrade from Lang. Lang played way up in his contract year, and he has a history of injuries. Evans is 4 years older but without the history of injuries, and he has been a much better player for most of his career. Even last season, he was apparently decent. Drew Brees is nowhere near as mobile as Aaron Rodgers, and the Saints O Line including Evans protected him pretty well. Also, the Saints have been at least average as a running team over his career. If Ted got him for a million or so, I say good going.

pbmax
04-27-2017, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't rule out Evans actually being an upgrade from Lang. Lang played way up in his contract year, and he has a history of injuries. Evans is 4 years older but without the history of injuries, and he has been a much better player for most of his career. Even last season, he was apparently decent. Drew Brees is nowhere near as mobile as Aaron Rodgers, and the Saints O Line including Evans protected him pretty well. Also, the Saints have been at least average as a running team over his career. If Ted got him for a million or so, I say good going.

tex - the Seattle Seahawks didn't keep him and their offensive line is terrible. He was a stopgap for the Saints as well.

Injuries are one thing, but he isn't close to Lang anymore. He's closer to Taylor's level.

gbgary
04-27-2017, 01:53 PM
We most certainly DID NOT have lang. He was a FA. Unrestricted no less. He got paid like a tackle. Glad for him. Glad TT isn't the guy who did pay him.

all tt had to do to keep lang was pay him. cap wasn't an issue. we're talking about whether free agency has improved the Packers this season. has it? well obviously no. an upgrade at one position doesn't make it so.

So when you compare an injured TE who can't block to Bennet and you compare Lang to Evans you don't call that a net win?

cook vs bennett: upgrade with bennett. lang vs evans: downgrade with evans (evidently the Packers coaches were very upset about the lang loss)

Joemailman
04-27-2017, 01:58 PM
tex - the Seattle Seahawks didn't keep him and their offensive line is terrible. He was a stopgap for the Saints as well.

Injuries are one thing, but he isn't close to Lang anymore. He's closer to Taylor's level.

Tex does have a point though. He was part of a line that protected Brees very well. Only 27 sacks even though Brees led the NFL in pass attempts. Also, Schneider has admitted that not keeping Evans was probably a mistake. Maybe the Seahawks offensive line is horrible because they've made bad decisions.

I realize he's probably not as good as Lang. I just don't think RG will be a huge factor. And you could certainly argue that Evans has a better chance of playing 16 games than Lang does.

BZnDallas
04-27-2017, 02:14 PM
all tt had to do to keep lang was pay him. cap wasn't an issue. we're talking about whether free agency has improved the Packers this season. has it? well obviously no. an upgrade at one position doesn't make it so.

cook vs bennett: upgrade with bennett. lang vs evans: downgrade with evans (evidently the Packers coaches were very upset about the lang loss)

You don't pay top dollar to the least important position on the offensive line. TT has a clear record of that, do we need to list them? Let me rephrase that. GOOD teams don't pay top dollar to Guards. That's why the Lions did....

gbgary
04-27-2017, 02:26 PM
You don't pay top dollar to the least important position on the offensive line. TT has a clear record of that, do we need to list them? Let me rephrase that. GOOD teams don't pay top dollar to Guards. That's why the Lions did....

but are we better on the field for tt's thrift? we're simply not. THIS Packers team needs upgrades to go to the superbowl.

Joemailman
04-27-2017, 02:46 PM
but are we better on the field for tt's thrift? we're simply not. THIS Packers team needs upgrades to go to the superbowl.

But not all upgrades come from free agency. Upgrades also come from players getting healthy, players improving, the draft, better schemes etc.

I think the improvement at the TE position (Don't forget Kendricks) will at least offset the losses on the offensive line.

red
04-27-2017, 05:54 PM
But not all upgrades come from free agency. Upgrades also come from players getting healthy, players improving, the draft, better schemes etc.

I think the improvement at the TE position (Don't forget Kendricks) will at least offset the losses on the offensive line.

i think guys improving on their own will be offset by guys not improving, and the guys who improved the year before, or the guys we lost

if things worked the way you say, then every team would get better every single year. and that just simply isn't the case

and like i've said before. i think bennett is a slight upgrade over cook, and kendricks might be a slight upgrade from dick rod. not a huge upgrade. plus both are only on one year deals, much like all our FA signings, which i can't get out of my head

mission
04-27-2017, 07:26 PM
I love the new Te----- Elliot Wolf.

gbgary
04-27-2017, 10:40 PM
But not all upgrades come from free agency.

true but that's what we were discussing. not the draft or the cap. just talent lost and talent picked up.

Pugger
04-27-2017, 11:26 PM
Were the terms of his contract ever reported?

red
04-28-2017, 08:46 AM
Were the terms of his contract ever reported?

nothing that i can find

BZnDallas
04-28-2017, 09:01 AM
true but that's what we were discussing. not the draft or the cap. just talent lost and talent picked up.

That was a different thread. Pretty silly to only count that as the way to make improvements. You're strictly looking at FA and placing blame at TTs feet for what you don't like. TT has FA and the draft to improve his team. The main point here you aren't understanding is he's not going to sign the FA YOU want if he thinks he can fill the hole via the draft. That's wasting resources.

pbmax
05-02-2017, 09:56 AM
Tom Silverstein‏ @TomSilverstein 19m19 minutes ago
#Packers FA Guard Jahri Evans' one-year deal is worth $2.25M: $200K signing bonus, $1.15M base, $800K per game roster, $100K w/o, $225K LTBE