PDA

View Full Version : Official 2017 Packers Third Round Pick Montravius Adams

pbmax
04-28-2017, 10:58 PM
Finally, a name I had never heard before.

PLAYER OVERVIEW: Montravius Adams (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2079859/montravius-adams)

One of the top defensive line recruits a few years ago, Adams started 10 games as a sophomore in 2014 and led the team in quarterback hurries (17), adding 8.0 tackles for loss, 3.0 sacks and 43 total tackles.
With the Tigers' crowded defensive tackle depth chart in 2014, Adams split snaps on the edge and inside, but with Gabe Wright, Angelo Blackson, Jeffrey Whitaker and Ben Bradley no longer on the roster, Adams is now a veteran on the line and a player the Auburn coaches have high expectations for in 2015.

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

He carries his 296-pound frame very well with the initial quickness and lateral agility to attack gaps and penetrate the backfield. Adams has been dinged for his lack of consistency in the past, but new defensive coordinator Will Muschamp should be able to get the best out of the gifted lineman.
--Dane Brugler (8/17/15)

pbmax
04-28-2017, 11:00 PM
He is 21st on D Line for pSparq athletic measurement. Very average. Likely to be an interior and not EDGE guy. If he play 5tech, would imagine base 3-4 only.

pbmax
04-28-2017, 11:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmDTpOCsJ4A

Joemailman
04-28-2017, 11:14 PM
He is 21st on D Line for pSparq athletic measurement. Very average. Likely to be an interior and not EDGE guy. If he play 5tech, would imagine base 3-4 only.

Pretty athletic. Had the best 40 time at the combine among 300+ lb DT's. 3rd among DT's overall. Only average on bench press. Still, his success won't be decided by measurables.

Smidgeon
04-28-2017, 11:30 PM
I noticed in that clip he used his body a lot like a doorknob jam, sticking his feet back and just hanging on for dear life. Is that a produce of strength deficiency or technique deficiency?

pbmax
04-28-2017, 11:36 PM
I noticed in that clip he used his body a lot like a doorknob jam, sticking his feet back and just hanging on for dear life. Is that a produce of strength deficiency or technique deficiency?

I think its either lack of leg strength or bend and snap. However, when he uses his arms to get off that block, he is effective. So he has some upper body strength.

He just can't get into a shoving match with the Guard or Center and not use his arms to get off the block.

He gets moved by double teams though not terribly. He has some quickness off the line. If he remembers to use his hands and arms, might be able to rush the passer.

wist43
04-29-2017, 04:04 AM
Bluck

oldbutnotdeadyet
04-29-2017, 05:51 AM
Bluck

Yeah, I mean Damn, what was TT thinking? I don't get this pick at all.

When they kept showing their war room, I thought who is that senile old man walking around like he owns the place. Why, that was none other than the architect of the Green Bay Packers.

We are doomed...

Carolina_Packer
04-29-2017, 06:28 AM
OBNDY, Wist, et al., what is it you don't like about the pick? You don't see where he fits into the defense? You don't think he has a chance to be a productive NFL player?

Joemailman
04-29-2017, 06:46 AM
OBNDY, Wist, et al., what is it you don't like about the pick? You don't see where he fits into the defense? You don't think he has a chance to be a productive NFL player?

He has a chance. But who knows if he'll remind us of Mike Daniels or Khyri Thornton? He seems to have good quickness off the line, but so did Thornton and Worthy. A lot of college DT's look good on film because they're quicker than the Guards they line up against. Then they get to the NFL and it's a different story. He played better as a senior than as a junior. Hopefully that's a trend.

Teamcheez1
04-29-2017, 06:54 AM
I think they felt he has more upside than some of the other D lineman.

oldbutnotdeadyet
04-29-2017, 07:10 AM

I am of the camp that we had way more pressing needs, edge rusher, Guard, running back, that to pick a relatively unknown interior lineman seemed somewhat odd...

Carolina_Packer
04-29-2017, 07:12 AM
They traded up to get Worthy. There are no guarantees of translation. Getting hurt early in their careers derailed Worthy. I recall Thornton was hurt too, but many here projected that they just found out he couldn't play. With this guy having a 4'8 40, and some quickness, hopefully he can be an upfield penetrator, with a chance of living in the backfield. I also hope he's a willing run stopper.

King Friday
04-29-2017, 07:47 AM
I like this pick. No one is left at this point in the draft who is guaranteed to be an immediate starter. This kid needs some serious coaching and hopefully has a decent work ethic. However, his physical talent would suggest he could've gone much higher. He has a higher ceiling than just about anyone else taken at the end of the 3rd round. Is the kid a project? Yes. However, he's also a big body that we need in terms of depth on the DL. There certainly wasn't an edge rusher available that would see the field as often as this kid probably will this year. If he can be part of the DL rotation and get 10-15 snaps a game as a rookie, this will have been a good pick.

King Friday
04-29-2017, 07:50 AM
Pretty athletic. Had the best 40 time at the combine among 300+ lb DT's. 3rd among DT's overall.

40 time is absolutely meaningless for DL. How often are those guys going to be running full speed for 40 yards? The only thing a good 40 time tells you is that the kid is in shape, which is a good thing to know.

The only timed measurements that work for those guys are short burst speed and acceleration drills.

smuggler
04-29-2017, 08:24 AM
40 time is actually somewhat meaningful for linemen. It shows how much burst they have off the gun. Burst is pretty important in the NFL Especially if you look at their 10-yard takeoff

texaspackerbacker
04-29-2017, 08:45 AM
Physically, this guy is first round quality. It's up to coaches and maybe other players to get him to play up to that ability. I MUCH prefer a player like this - assuming he's motivated - rather than somebody like Guion for example. Having him in the line with Daniels and Clark would seem to be really good.

pbmax
04-29-2017, 09:49 AM
Physically, this guy is first round quality. It's up to coaches and maybe other players to get him to play up to that ability. I MUCH prefer a player like this - assuming he's motivated - rather than somebody like Guion for example. Having him in the line with Daniels and Clark would seem to be really good.

Nah, I don't think so. He's not testing like Tarzan and playing like Jane. He's ranked 21st athletically by pSparq. That is not terrible, he is literally the definition of average here, but its not remarkable for the third round.

His broad jump is lower than all but three lineman rated ahead of him athletically (8.83 feet). One was worse, two were tied. Its worse than than 4 of the five behind him.

His bench (22 reps) is toward the low end (18 above him beat it). His short shuttle was worst among the 21.

On the more positive side, his three cone was beat only by 10 of the 20. And his 40 was good, including a 10 yard split that was only beat by the top two D lineman (Wormley, Findlater).

He needs to get stronger and more explosive. I don't know how to distinguish between 3 cone and SS, but one of them is not bad, the other might improve.

Zool
04-29-2017, 10:56 AM
He looks stiff in all his videos. His torso looks like he had metal rods up his back and he turns his back to the o line a lot. That's the parts I didn't like. Another boom bust pick I suppose. I'm very meh on this one. I like the first 2. Time for a RB.

woodbuck27
04-29-2017, 11:01 AM

When they kept showing their war room, I thought who is that senile old man walking around like he owns the place. Why, that was none other than the architect of the Green Bay Packers.

We are doomed...

No kidding. The funny thing is that there are still posters here that don't see it.

I wonder mmmmm ....are these the guy's that would see 'a certain whhhaaaattt' serve a second term.

woodbuck27
04-29-2017, 11:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmDTpOCsJ4A

My prayer for TT:

Dear God help Ted Thompson be a decent GM in another lifetime.

I made it to the 1:30 mark of this film.

Media person: "Well Ted why did you pick this DT?"

Ted Thompson: Well....ahhhh...let me see ... Ohh yea.... I thought he ran really fast. He'll develop.

Guiness
04-29-2017, 12:00 PM

Agreed, that video was not confidence inspiring. He seems to get hung up on blocks a lot, and not have great balance. He did however come off a block nicely to make a tackle at the 3 minute mark of the video.

He is also either doing a good job of anticipating the snap or is often jumping early. He drew a flag, and was also the first guy moving on the DL a couple of other times.

wist43
04-29-2017, 05:39 PM
He's a body... I'm looking for more out of a 3rd round pick than "just a guy".

His ceiling isn't high... read one scout ticking off the boxes of what he does well, then concludes... "I'd let someone else draft him".

red
04-29-2017, 06:21 PM
He's a body... I'm looking for more out of a 3rd round pick than "just a guy".

His ceiling isn't high... read one scout ticking off the boxes of what he does well, then concludes... "I'd let someone else draft him".

what are you talking about, this could be our staring OLB in a few years after he flames out at DL and is asked to shed some weight

this guy could be the next mike neal or datone jones

wist43
04-29-2017, 06:23 PM
what are you talking about, this could be our staring OLB in a few years after he flames out at DL and is asked to shed some weight

this guy could be the next mike neal or datone jones

lol... sounds about right

Strange Brew
04-30-2017, 02:42 PM
Montravius Adams = Jerel Worthy and Khyri Thornton. Nuff said.....Thank god this is Ted's second last draft!!

Bretsky
04-30-2017, 07:22 PM
For what it's worth I didn't like this pick from the get go; very inconsistent play w/o a high ceiling. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Bretsky
04-30-2017, 08:01 PM
Would have went with ILB Kendell Beckwith here

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2017, 08:06 PM
This place is ridiculous sometimes.

Deputy Nutz
04-30-2017, 08:30 PM
I woulda, shoulda, coulda....

pbmax
05-01-2017, 03:27 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706317-nfl-draft-2017-round-2-3-grades-for-every-nfl-pick

No. 93 Green Bay Packers: Montravius Adams, Defensive Tackle, Auburn

Strengths: Size, run defense, upside.

Weaknesses: Consistency, consistency, consistency.

Adams, a 5-star recruit out of high school, per 247Sports, looks like a future All-Pro when everything is clicking. He started developing his pass-rushing technique to go with his run-stopping power last year, turning in dominant performances against Georgia and Alabama.

Even at his worst, Adams is a load to block. But he will get pushed around by double-teams, particularly late in games, and will get caught out of position against the run and neutralized against the pass. The Tigers began limiting him to about a 50-snap pitch count last season and sliding him outside in some custom packages, which may have kept him fresh for his late-season surge.

Adams is considered a high character/intangibles individual who should take care of business in the conditioning program. He may be one of those 300-pounders who gets dogged with a “bad motor” label because his coaches thought a 74-snap workload was a good idea.

The Packers use cloggers like Adams in 30- to 40-snap doses. Chances are, they will get the most from him.

Grade: B+

QBME
05-01-2017, 05:26 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706317-nfl-draft-2017-round-2-3-grades-for-every-nfl-pick

No. 93 Green Bay Packers: Montravius Adams, Defensive Tackle, Auburn

Strengths: Size, run defense, upside.

Weaknesses: Consistency, consistency, consistency.

The Tigers began limiting him to about a 50-pitch count last season , which may have kept him fresh for his late-season surge.

Grade: B+

As a fall back, the Brewers need some mid-inning relief help. Is he a righty or a south paw?

texaspackerbacker
05-01-2017, 08:14 PM
I like the guy for what he is not - a big fat Raji-like/Guion-like clod. If he could absorb some of Mike Daniels' effort and hustle, he could be damn good with that athleticism.

Brandon494
05-01-2017, 08:52 PM
Money motivates some people, let's hope he's one of them.

pbmax
05-02-2017, 09:22 AM
This might be the case that proves its all about pad level.

call_me_ishmael
05-02-2017, 11:00 AM
I am not sure why the scoop on the guy is he's lazy. He was dominant his senior year from what I'm reading. Maybe as a junior he just wasn't as good? I think he'll be a decent player. I like the body type. While 40 yard dash isn't super important it's clear it shows some overriding level of athleticism and this guy clearly is pretty athletic. If he was an inch taller he'd be the perfect body type for 5 tech. I think he'll be a starter there in a year or two.

Smidgeon
05-02-2017, 11:10 AM
I am not sure why the scoop on the guy is he's lazy. He was dominant his senior year from what I'm reading. Maybe as a junior he just wasn't as good? I think he'll be a decent player. I like the body type. While 40 yard dash isn't super important it's clear it shows some overriding level of athleticism and this guy clearly is pretty athletic. If he was an inch taller he'd be the perfect body type for 5 tech. I think he'll be a starter there in a year or two.

The thing I most recently read (not sure if true) was that his team played him 70+ snaps per game Junior year, and put him on a more realistic count his Senior year. Playing that much almost anyone would take a play or two off to rest.

Teamcheez1
08-05-2018, 08:14 PM
Perhaps some of your minds may be changed this year.

Joemailman
08-05-2018, 08:22 PM
If he's good, that DL will be crazy good. Keep rotating guys and nobody gets tired.

mraynrand
08-05-2018, 10:02 PM
Perhaps some of your minds may be changed this year.

I'm convinced. The argument you present is indisputable.

Fritz
08-06-2018, 11:08 AM
It's pre-season. Put me on the Montravius Adams bandwagon, and let's roll!

I'll probably get a date with Drew Barrymore this year, too!

mraynrand
08-06-2018, 11:24 AM
It's pre-season. Put me on the Montravius Adams bandwagon, and let's roll!

I'll probably get a date with Drew Barrymore this year, too!

Is she still fat or did she lose that weight? If she’s still fat I would assume your chances are better. ;)

Joemailman
01-26-2020, 09:04 AM
He has a chance. But who knows if he'll remind us of Mike Daniels or Khyri Thornton? He seems to have good quickness off the line, but so did Thornton and Worthy. A lot of college DT's look good on film because they're quicker than the Guards they line up against. Then they get to the NFL and it's a different story. He played better as a senior than as a junior. Hopefully that's a trend.

Turns out, he's Khyri Thornton.

RashanGary
01-26-2020, 09:13 AM
Turns out, he's Khyri Thornton.

Gute seemed to still have hope. I question gutes sanity that he seems to cling to some of these guys

Joemailman
01-26-2020, 09:39 AM
Gute seemed to still have hope. I question gutes sanity that he seems to cling to some of these guys

I wouldn't put too much credence in his comment. He's not going to publicly trash Adams. I'm sure he knows Adams hasn't been good enough.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-26-2020, 09:55 AM

We are doomed...

Love this post. :)

Anti-Polar Bear
01-26-2020, 10:03 AM

Guion was a ruffian off the field, but in the rye, he balled like, well, a ruffian - bullying opponents.

If Pack had a guy like Guion the last time they played, no way that abominable shit-show exists.

GB-Brandon
01-26-2020, 10:19 AM
Guion was a ruffian off the field, but in the rye, he balled like, well, a ruffian - bullying opponents.

If Pack had a guy like Guion the last time they played, no way that abominable shit-show exists.

You could also add Mike Pennel too that group as he is having a very strong year and getting it done for Chiefs upfront.

Somehow though we ended up with “Team Northwestern” upfront.

Joemailman
01-26-2020, 11:07 AM
You could also add Mike Pennel too that group as he is having a very strong year and getting it done for Chiefs upfront.

Must be Murphy's work. Former AD at Northwestern.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-26-2020, 11:34 AM

Did Todd cut Pennel or something? Coulda swore i saw Pennel playing in NE last season.

pbmax
01-26-2020, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't put too much credence in his comment. He's not going to publicly trash Adams. I'm sure he knows Adams hasn't been good enough.

Perhaps. I haven't seen the video clip, but he seemed to all but dismiss commenting on Martinez. Of course, his deal is up. Maybe he doesn't want to drive up his price.

pbmax
01-26-2020, 12:54 PM

Yep. I think Dorsey signed him.

pbmax
01-26-2020, 12:55 PM

Not much pass rush but man what movement for a huge guy. He would be interesting in this D.

But he all but ran himself out of the league.

pbmax
01-26-2020, 12:56 PM
Did Todd cut Pennel or something? Coulda swore i saw Pennel playing in NE last season.

Packers to Jets to New England to KC

pbmax
01-26-2020, 12:59 PM
Yep. I think Dorsey signed him.

EDIT: Incorrect. Has bounced around and with KC just this year.

Joemailman
01-26-2020, 01:41 PM
Perhaps. I haven't seen the video clip, but he seemed to all but dismiss commenting on Martinez. Of course, his deal is up. Maybe he doesn't want to drive up his price.

What he said. I think he was asked about how to fix the run defense.

“I think obviously Blake Martinez is up, and I think we’re gonna have to take a long look at the inside linebacker thing, make sure we’re squared away there. I really do like our defensive line group, I really do. I think obviously Kenny’s a very, very good player. Really happy with Dean Lowry, Tyler Lancaster. I think Montravius Adams and Kingsley Keke will see a lot more action in Year 2 in Matt’s tenure here. And those guys need to step up and they need to do their job and I think that they will. I’m excited for them. They’re both really explosive athletes. I like the group, but ... with defensive front and offensive linemen, if there’s good players there we’re always gonna try to improve.”

pbmax
01-26-2020, 02:14 PM
What he said. I think he was asked about how to fix the run defense.

That makes it sound like ILB is the only position up for a possible overhaul.

Joemailman
01-26-2020, 02:19 PM
That makes it sound like ILB is the only position up for a possible overhaul.

Could be. Then again, you probably shouldn't put too much stock in what an NFL GM says between now and the Draft.

RashanGary
01-26-2020, 05:15 PM
We could have drafted Jeffrey Simmons with the 12th pick.

Gute got a little testy when someone suggested Gary was a bust. Gute seems to think Gary is a player still.

We shall see. Gary did flash elite talent at times but compared to Zadarius Smith, who flashed every gsme, Gary was just inconsistent

Bretsky
01-26-2020, 06:55 PM

Gute got a little testy when someone suggested Gary was a bust. Gute seems to think Gary is a player still.

We shall see. Gary did flash elite talent at times but compared to Zadarius Smith, who flashed every gsme, Gary was just inconsistent

Guter I think is going to play in FA each year; we can recover from the bed Gary pick.

It just seemed too good to be true having a draft pick that high with AROD still as our QB.

There were a lot of really good players there; but we can recover.

We overachieved last year; with some good personnell moves next year opefully we can keep the same record but go further in the playoffs.

Bretsky
01-26-2020, 06:57 PM

He's going to get testy a lot on that. the Packer Beat gys label him anywhere from a project with upside, to a disappointment, to a bust. I have a feeling they are going to let Fackrell go and let him sink or swim with more playing time next year. Time will tell

Zool
01-26-2020, 07:48 PM
He's going to get testy a lot on that. the Packer Beat gys label him anywhere from a project with upside, to a disappointment, to a bust. I have a feeling they are going to let Fackrell go and let him sink or swim with more playing time next year. Time will tell

Fackrell is going to be starting somewhere next year. He’s played well enough to be noticed. No way they keep him with all the money tied up in Smith Bro’s.

Joemailman
01-26-2020, 08:40 PM
Guter I think is going to play in FA each year; we can recover from the bed Gary pick.

It just seemed too good to be true having a draft pick that high with AROD still as our QB.

We overachieved last year; with some good personnell moves next year opefully we can keep the same record but go further in the playoffs.

I doubt they match the record next year. Teams rarely win as many as 13 games in consecutive years. Packers could, and probably will be a better team next year and not win that many games.

ThunderDan
01-26-2020, 08:56 PM

We can not recover if we miss all our picks. You can’t pay top dollar to get talent at all positions. You run out of cap space.

You need to hit draft picks to have low cost talent on your team. Seattle was built on Wilson’s rookie contact and was torn apart after he got paid.

We need to hit draft picks and supplement wisely with free agency.

Bretsky
01-26-2020, 10:03 PM
I doubt they match the record next year. Teams rarely win as many as 13 games in consecutive years. Packers could, and probably will be a better team next year and not win that many games.

I never considered us a real playoff threat this year.

If our record was lesser but we were a dangerous playoff team to win the show.....I'd be the first in line to sign up for that.

Let's see if your point differential is a bit more impressive next year.

pbmax
01-27-2020, 08:27 AM
^ Still underselling this team.

Who in the NFC is better?

Seattle? Nope

Vikings? Nope

Saints? THEY LOST TO THE FREAKING VIKINGS AT HOME! THEY SECRETLY SUCK!

If members of this board were Saints fans, there would be three threads urging the firing of Sean Payton for his disastrous tenure after his one Super Bowl win.

Frankly the only team that frightens me beside the 49ers are the Eagles. Maybe the Cowboys if M3 gets it going again.

Double secretly, while the top 6 or 8 of the NFC is definitely better than the top 6-8 of the AFC, I am not sure there are any great teams this year.

run pMc
01-27-2020, 09:33 AM
The Saints are basically the Packers -- they have an aging but still good QB, a good RB, and one good WR. (They also have Taysom Hill and Jared Cook, but I think GB has a better OL.)

Vikings tried to put the clamps on Thomas and they won the war in the trenches.

As for Adams, watching the clip it's clear they like Clark, Lowry and have hope for Keke, while Adams and Lancaster are on the bubble. The comment about saying they like the DL group but will be "taking a long look at ILB to make sure we're squared away there" tells me it will be a focus while they sign Clark to an extension. Adams seems like one of those athletic marvels who hasn't put it together. I was hoping this year it would happen, but am left waiting to see what he brings, and I think he'll be on his last chance in GB this next season. For all the complaining about Gary, at least he's around the QB or the ball.

pbmax
01-27-2020, 11:02 AM
As for Adams, watching the clip it's clear they like Clark, Lowry and have hope for Keke, while Adams and Lancaster are on the bubble. The comment about saying they like the DL group but will be "taking a long look at ILB to make sure we're squared away there" tells me it will be a focus while they sign Clark to an extension. Adams seems like one of those athletic marvels who hasn't put it together. I was hoping this year it would happen, but am left waiting to see what he brings, and I think he'll be on his last chance in GB this next season. For all the complaining about Gary, at least he's around the QB or the ball.

I think they are delusional about their D line.

ILB could be improved markedly if they found one run stuffer who could excel with limited snaps (perfect for aging vet) and a speed guy.

Bretsky
01-27-2020, 11:09 AM

Seattle? Nope
Vikings? Nope

If members of this board were Saints fans, there would be three threads urging the firing of Sean Payton for his disastrous tenure after his one Super Bowl win.

Frankly the only team that frightens me beside the 49ers are the Eagles. Maybe the Cowboys if M3 gets it going again.

Double secretly, while the top 6 or 8 of the NFC is definitely better than the top 6-8 of the AFC, I am not sure there are any great teams this year.

AS CHRIS CARTER USE TO SAY COME ON MAN

I'm going to attempt to flush the homer juice out of you by simply asking, which of those teams is Green Bay clearly better than ? I'll also attempt to answer your questions while simply stating the answer to my quesiton might be none.

On your your koolaideism

San Fran is clearly better and the overall talent isn't that close.

A healthy Seattle team is very bit as good as a healthy GB team. Maybe a bit better

A healthy Saints team is at least as good as a healthy GB team. Another toss us

I think a healthy GB team is slightly better than Minnesota; but it's dam close

I also think Dallas and the Eagles talent wise matchup with Green Bay very well. IMO it's close

My conclusion is we're a top 5 team in the NFC. With a good free agency, and another good draft, and another year where we remain healthy ....we've got a shot.

texaspackerbacker
01-27-2020, 11:56 AM

Seattle? Nope

Vikings? Nope

Excellent Post.

Regarding Adams, yeah he's had 3 years to develop, but the first of those he was injured most of the time. He ought to be head and shoulders better than Lowery and Lancaster, but they get all the playing time. Assuming the coaches know what they are doing, that says Adams pretty much stinks. I'd bring him to camp and hope for the best, but if he doesn't really stand out, dump him.

pbmax
01-27-2020, 01:10 PM
AS CHRIS CARTER USE TO SAY COME ON MAN

I'm going to attempt to flush the homer juice out of you by simply asking, which of those teams is Green Bay clearly better than ? I'll also attempt to answer your questions while simply stating the answer to my quesiton might be none.

On your your koolaideism

San Fran is clearly better and the overall talent isn't that close.

A healthy Seattle team is very bit as good as a healthy GB team. Maybe a bit better

A healthy Saints team is at least as good as a healthy GB team. Another toss us

I think a healthy GB team is slightly better than Minnesota; but it's dam close

I also think Dallas and the Eagles talent wise matchup with Green Bay very well. IMO it's close

My conclusion is we're a top 5 team in the NFC. With a good free agency, and another good draft, and another year where we remain healthy ....we've got a shot.

Sorry, I failed to detect the argument that the Packers were a fraud. If they are even with all the better teams in the League, seems pretty legit.

Bretsky
01-27-2020, 04:59 PM
Sorry, I failed to detect the argument that the Packers were a fraud. If they are even with all the better teams in the League, seems pretty legit.

I don't think they are a fraud; I just think they got breaks this year. To me they felt like a 11-5 team that was on the verge of contention to the SB, as opposed to legitimate threats this year.

RashanGary
01-27-2020, 06:02 PM
I'm hoping for some jumps from the young guys too. Gary, Savage, Jenkins, Lazard, Sternberger, Sullivan.... Even Alexander, King and Amos can get better after playing a year together and an off-season to hone in on the details of masking coverages and mixing coverages.

We NEED a better ILB and a smart, fast receiver AR can gel with.

RashanGary
01-27-2020, 06:02 PM
Every team needs DL and OL so if they're out there I'm down with that too

RashanGary
01-27-2020, 06:05 PM
I think Greene and Campbell healthy make that hybrid spot an upgrade from this year's injured group. We just need an upgrade to Martinez and I think Burafict could be it for a couple years

run pMc
01-28-2020, 12:26 PM
I think Greene and Campbell healthy make that hybrid spot an upgrade from this year's injured group. We just need an upgrade to Martinez and I think Burafict could be it for a couple years

I disagree.
Vontaze Burfict will not be in a GB uniform. He might not be in any NFL uniform - his body is breaking down and he is a suspension waiting to happen. Oh, and he's a complete knucklehead who has cost team wins (including the PIT playoff game).
In October he was suspended FOR THE SEASON by the NFL for illegal hits.

Greene and Campbell are ok in there if you want to go with a 3 safety look, but they're playing hybrid because Burks isn't ready, and they have nobody else at the 2nd level who can cover. I like Blake Martinez, but he can't carry a RB or TE up the field or drop into a short zone quickly enough to be considered good in coverage. They do need an old school thumper at ILB for goal line and short distance defensive stands, they can find those guys cheap. If Pettine plays one all the time a smart OC will scheme them off the field or force them to cover.

Despite all this, they still yield tons of yardage in the MOF, and TEs eat them for breakfast. I get sick of watching ancients like Greg Olson or Kyle Rudolph carve up the defense on a 3rd and 8. There has to be a better way.