PDA

View Full Version : Tell me again how the Packers have faith in Ty Montgomery.

Rutnstrut
04-29-2017, 06:49 PM
Sure looks like faith when they draft 3 RB's.

pbmax
04-29-2017, 06:57 PM
Or less faith in the backups.

Last time they needed a starter, they took one late in round 2. This time their first RB was late Round 4.

pbmax
04-29-2017, 07:00 PM
Tom Silverstein‏ @TomSilverstein 29m29 minutes ago
Mike McCarthy: Ty Montgomery is our starting running back.

Brandon494
04-29-2017, 07:03 PM
We have no one behind him though

Rutnstrut
04-29-2017, 07:20 PM
Or less faith in the backups.

Last time they needed a starter, they took one late in round 2. This time their first RB was late Round 4.

They know they will NEED the back ups as Monty is not able to handle it full time.

texaspackerbacker
04-29-2017, 07:43 PM
If anything this shows lack of faith in Christine Michael as a backup and/or John Crockett. 3 low round picks are not a threat to Montgomery.

If this is a pass first team, as it damn well better be, Montgomery won't be carrying all that big a load.

pbmax
04-29-2017, 07:52 PM
They know they will NEED the back ups as Monty is not able to handle it full time.

C'mon, this is just whistling past the graveyard. How many RBs are a go for 16 games?

Rutnstrut
04-29-2017, 08:24 PM
C'mon, this is just whistling past the graveyard. How many RBs are a go for 16 games?

He won't even make it to the bye without missing time.

Deputy Nutz
04-29-2017, 08:30 PM
That may be true but I would bet very few running backs make it to the midway point of the season healthy

Rutnstrut
04-29-2017, 08:37 PM
That may be true but I would bet very few running backs make it to the midway point of the season healthy

I didn't say healthy, I said missing playing time.

King Friday
04-29-2017, 08:39 PM
Sure looks like faith when they draft 3 RB's.

So you expected Green Bay to go into training camp with Ty Montgomery as basically the only RB on the entire roster?

We had to replace Starks and Lacy just from the 53 man roster...let alone the 3-4 other kids we'd bring in for camp. Only a complete idiot would suggest taking 3 RBs in the latter half of the draft is a sign that Green Bay has no faith in Ty.

Rutnstrut
04-29-2017, 08:48 PM
So you expected Green Bay to go into training camp with Ty Montgomery as basically the only RB on the entire roster?

We had to replace Starks and Lacy just from the 53 man roster...let alone the 3-4 other kids we'd bring in for camp. Only a complete idiot would suggest taking 3 RBs in the latter half of the draft is a sign that Green Bay has no faith in Ty.

Yeah, because they have never went understaffed at RB, oh wait...

King Friday
04-29-2017, 08:51 PM
Yeah, because they have never went understaffed at RB, oh wait...

So you are saying it is crazy to be understaffed...but the Packers have no faith in anyone on the roster since they actually drafted a few guys.

Perhaps they just learned a lesson last year and didn't want a repeat? You are reading way too much into this.

Rutnstrut
04-29-2017, 09:15 PM
So you are saying it is crazy to be understaffed...but the Packers have no faith in anyone on the roster since they actually drafted a few guys.

Perhaps they just learned a lesson last year and didn't want a repeat? You are reading way too much into this.

I very well could be, and I really hope they did learn from last year. I don't think TT would ever admit last year was a screw up, but oh well.

gbgary
04-29-2017, 09:24 PM
the lack of rb depth was ridiculous last season. it's fixed now. we won't keep 7 (or 8...whatever it is) so look for a few to go away (michael + +).

Zool
04-29-2017, 09:35 PM
Anyone else wish Lacy and Crocker ever played together? Crockett and Tubbs would have been awesome.

VegasPackFan
04-29-2017, 09:41 PM
Williams and Jones will make the team for sure. With Michael that gives us 4 solid options. Having Williams back there allows us to move TY around I would guess. I like the draft for this position but would have liked it even more if we had Perine paired with Jones. I really think TT missed a really good one there. Perine could have been the guy that wears down a Defense and just punishes in the 4th QTR. I have to have faith that Williams will be good enough but I do predict that Jones is gonna be a HUGE surprise for us.

texaspackerbacker
04-29-2017, 10:31 PM
The problem, if you can call it that, is that we have too many quality receivers and to only a slightly lesser extent, a bunch of RBs. You just can't stockpile them, considering the fact that players on the practice squad can be easily signed by anybody.

No way needed Perine or somebody like him. On second glance, I see that Mays is not that - thankfully. If/when we need a short yardage power guy, Ripkowski will do just fine.

VegasPackFan
04-29-2017, 11:04 PM
If he doesn't fumble again...

bobblehead
04-30-2017, 12:18 AM

Sums it up about right.

ThunderDan
04-30-2017, 07:19 AM
Personally, I love Monty with our FA TE signings. The Pack can come out in 12 personnel. What does the D do? Do they play heavy run, base or nickel?

If the D plays run heavy or base you can split Monty and/or 1 TE out. If they go nickel, you pound the ball into a 6 man box with 7 blockers.

Effectively 12 personnel for the Pack is a hybrid 02 with a WR playing RB. It can be a heavy run package or similar to a 5 wide package.

smuggler
04-30-2017, 07:55 AM
I agree Thunder.

Carolina_Packer
04-30-2017, 08:10 AM
I'm not sure I understand the point/argument that Rutnstrut is trying to make. Monty should feel a lack of confidence now that the Packers have tried to create some quality depth during the draft? Rut, are you saying the Packers showed lack of confidence in Monty? You almost make your own counter argument in your replies when you talk about how things went last year with the lack of depth. I would agree that they did have lack of depth, but that will happen when you lose one backup even before the season starts (Crockett), and significant time to complete season (Starks and Lacy). It's pretty rare that your depth gets challenged so much that you have to convert a WR to a RB. I like to focus on the fact that they found a good, somewhat unexpected option. I knew he had some running back experience in his football career, but never expected the Packers to need it, let alone how well he did when pressed into the role.

This argument is a non-starter. I look at this as nothing more than trying to build up quality depth behind Montgomery. Michael, Jackson, and Crockett are not guaranteed to make the roster. The team has not invested much in them, certainly not enough to stand pat with them and not try and build more competition/depth at that position through the draft or college free agency (although I didn't noticed any more RB's in that class). After yesterday, I think the team hears your depth argument loud and clear, don't you?

RashanGary
04-30-2017, 08:28 AM
Thompson said it was a really deep draft for RB and that's why he ended up with 3. Convenient cuz we needed RBs. They all look like they could be good. Man, would be great if we had one of those once in a decade drafts where we get two stars and a handful of good starters.

Patler
04-30-2017, 10:33 AM
GB gave up on John Crockett at the beginning of March, when they declined to tender him even though all it required was a minimum salary offer because he was an exclusive rights free agent. He can't be signed for anything less than that by GB or anyone else. They could have given him the option of signing with them, or sitting out the season. They let him become an unrestricted free agent instead.

Prior to the draft the Packers had just three RBs on their roster (not counting fullbacks). When have they ever gone into training camp with less than 5 or 6? I doubt they could even run the practices they want to with just 3. It's the same reasons why they will start with about 10 WRs.

Right now they will have at least 5 guys auditioning for one or two spots behind Montgomery on the final roster, and another one or two on the practice squad.

Drafting three was just a way to fill up their off season roster needs with players they think have potential to stick behind Montgomery, because he is the only one with a virtually guaranteed roster spot.

Brandon494
04-30-2017, 10:36 AM
I'm guessing the RBs next season will be Ty, Williams, and Jones with Mayes to the PS.

Willard
04-30-2017, 11:04 AM
I'm not sure I understand the point/argument that Rutnstrut is trying to make. Monty should feel a lack of confidence now that the Packers have tried to create some quality depth during the draft? Rut, are you saying the Packers showed lack of confidence in Monty? You almost make your own counter argument in your replies when you talk about how things went last year with the lack of depth.

This is exactly what I was thinking as I read this thread. FWIW, I really like the way Monty runs. But the Pack will not assume he has 240 carries in him so they would be fools not to load up on back-ups. Monty has that mysterious sickle cell trait issue that could pop up at some point again. We need other Backs to be ready. If one of them turns into this year's Jordan Howard (5th round Bears pick last year) --all the better.

VegasPackFan
04-30-2017, 01:30 PM
I'm guessing the RBs next season will be Ty, Williams, and Jones with Mayes to the PS.

Do you think they release Michael?

gbgary
04-30-2017, 01:53 PM
Do you think they release Michael?

ted's pretty loyal if the $ are the same. in this case they won't be. if he thinks one of the noobs is as good as michael...michael is gone.

Carolina_Packer
04-30-2017, 02:03 PM
Now that Michael has a full off-season with the team, and since he projects as a backup, I'm guessing that he'll have to prove his worth playing special teams as well as whatever snaps he might get on offense. If one of the younger players catches on fast and is more versatile, Michael may be gone.

Fritz
04-30-2017, 02:04 PM
The guy has had a couple of spectacular runs and a whole bunch of dumb ones. If a rook can play better on ST, and pick up the assignments and move forward, Michaels will likely be gone.

Strange Brew
04-30-2017, 02:29 PM
The problem, if you can call it that, is that we have too many quality receivers and to only a slightly lesser extent, a bunch of RBs. You just can't stockpile them, considering the fact that players on the practice squad can be easily signed by anybody.

No way needed Perine or somebody like him. On second glance, I see that Mays is not that - thankfully. If/when we need a short yardage power guy, Ripkowski will do just fine.

Rip-a-fart-kowski is a fumbler and can never be trusted again! During the most important game of the Packers season and the most important game of his lifetime, the guy doesn't even bother protecting the football with his life! Still really puzzled why y'all like this guy so much?

Brandon494
04-30-2017, 02:30 PM
I'm excited to see this Jones kid in camp, I think he might end up being the gem of this draft class.

Strange Brew
04-30-2017, 02:49 PM
I'm excited to see this Jones kid in camp, I think he might end up being the gem of this draft class.

Agreed! Jones is going to be a dynamic back.

Pugger
04-30-2017, 06:33 PM
Now that Michael has a full off-season with the team, and since he projects as a backup, I'm guessing that he'll have to prove his worth playing special teams as well as whatever snaps he might get on offense. If one of the younger players catches on fast and is more versatile, Michael may be gone.

Just don't let Micheal return kicks...

Pugger
04-30-2017, 06:36 PM
Rip-a-fart-kowski is a fumbler and can never be trusted again! During the most important game of the Packers season and the most important game of his lifetime, the guy doesn't even bother protecting the football with his life! Still really puzzled why y'all like this guy so much?

Huh? He had a grand total of one fumble last year and in his career. It was unfortunate it was in the NFCC game but that was his lone fumble ever so you can't say he is a fumbler.

gbgary
04-30-2017, 09:10 PM
If/when we need a short yardage power guy, Ripkowski will do just fine.

maybe but there's something to hitting the hole quickly too, or launching yourself over the wall. got to be athletic.

gbgary
04-30-2017, 09:13 PM
Just don't let Micheal return kicks...

just cuz he goofed up one kick return...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

King Friday
04-30-2017, 11:37 PM
Chrissy never should've been re-signed in the first place. The guy loves running into an OL player's ass at full speed. He's either blind or gay...can't make up my mind as to which it is.

Fritz
05-01-2017, 07:02 AM
Perhaps he is both.

Guiness
05-01-2017, 11:58 AM
Chrissy never should've been re-signed in the first place. The guy loves running into an OL player's ass at full speed. He's either blind or gay...can't make up my mind as to which it is.

And now we'll never know - he's been released.

gbgary
05-01-2017, 12:09 PM
And now we'll never know - he's been released.

so it seems...packers-planning-to-release-christine-michael (http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1292702-report-packers-planning-to-release-christine-michael)

VegasPackFan
05-01-2017, 12:32 PM
Well that answers the question. I like it. Give these hungry rooks a chance to make the team. Michael's career is just tanking. Can't stick with anyone.

texaspackerbacker
05-01-2017, 01:00 PM
Unfortunate if they really are cutting Michael. If all three rookies pan out, keep Montgomery, Ripkowski, Michael, AND all three. The way I see it, Michael has breakaway ability that none of the rookies have. It would be a shame to piss that away.

Pugger
05-01-2017, 02:49 PM
Micheal can play but I suspect he isn't the sharpest bulb in the knife drawer and has problems picking up NFL offenses so this is why he can't stay with any one team very long.

VegasPackFan
05-01-2017, 03:19 PM
Michael is a workout/metrics beast. For NFL teams to not covet him means there's something else very wrong with this kid.

pbmax
05-01-2017, 03:38 PM
Michael is a workout/metrics beast. For NFL teams to not covet him means there's something else very wrong with this kid.

It isn't a mystery. He has skills. He also has little vision and is scatter shot in his approach to choosing a hole. Sometimes he dances. Sometimes he puts his head down and pile drives a Guard in the kidneys. His mind is going 150 mph in the 35 mph backfield.

Once he clear the LOS or has a lane, he is very good with decent cuts and straight line speed.

But 3 or 4 years in, if the vision and backfield reads haven't slowed down for him, not sure when they will.

Joemailman
05-01-2017, 04:44 PM
so it seems...packers-planning-to-release-christine-michael (http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1292702-report-packers-planning-to-release-christine-michael)

And Don Jackson. I suspect Michael was signed as insurance just in case the draft board didn't fall the way TT thought it might.

texaspackerbacker
05-01-2017, 07:55 PM
Don Jackson is pretty worthless. All three new guys seem to be a lot better. Michael, though, is a breakaway threat, which the new guys aren't, not much anyway. That uniqueness is good to have - and he is more than just "a workout/metrics beast". He looked good on the field in limited carries in addition to doing well in Seattle. Is he stupid? There's a rumor going around hahahahaha. I'd like to see somebody who thinks so ask him to his face.

Carolina_Packer
05-01-2017, 09:25 PM
I'm interested to know the team's end-game for the RB's this season. Last year, they cast their lot with inexperienced depth at DB, and the results were not encouraging. I hope they are not about to do the same thing at RB this year. If Monty gets hurt and misses any amount of time, right now the depth would be all rookies and Rip. Do you suppose there is still a chance they add a veteran free agent RB, like Blount?

texaspackerbacker
05-01-2017, 09:28 PM
I'm interested to know the team's end-game for the RB's this season. Last year, they cast their lot with inexperienced depth at DB, and the results were not encouraging. I hope they are not about to do the same thing at RB this year. If Monty gets hurt and misses any amount of time, right now the depth would be all rookies and Rip. Do you suppose there is still a chance they add a veteran free agent RB, like Blount?

Gosh, I hope not!

Carolina_Packer
05-01-2017, 09:54 PM
OK, so perhaps not Blount, but what about the idea of bringing in a veteran for depth? They can't be committing to the draft class of RB's by default just because they released Michael and Jackson. Don't they want to really good look at them first? Surely, they must be bringing in some other RB talent for more competition at camp. I hope they don't get caught flat footed!

Smidgeon
05-01-2017, 10:09 PM

Except the RB position is nowhere near as crucial to a team's success as a DB. Except for two years of Lacy, the Packers haven't had a consistent RB since Ahman (with honorable mention to Ryan Grant). They can get by with "meh", but that's worst case scenario.

texaspackerbacker
05-01-2017, 10:29 PM
This team needs to Pass Pass Pass Pass maybe throw in a run for a change of pace, then Pass Pass Pass .......

The variety should be in the form of different types of pass plays.

For this, explosive breakaway runners are called for, NOT Lacy-type plodders. Montgomery is very close to what we need; Hopefully all three or at least two of these rookies will lean that way too.

Carolina_Packer
05-02-2017, 05:28 AM
Understood that it's easier to coordinate a run game vs. a defensive backfield. The communication has to be at another level. I'm not directly comparing, but recall the mistake of last year of having nothing but youth for depth at DB. Also, in 2013, the major issue was being prepared at backup QB. I understand that if the starting QB goes down, you're going to have issues anyway, and they did. Part of those issues was caused by lack of proper planning for the backups. In final roster cut down, they finally decide that Graham Harrell can't play backup and pulled the plug on the Vince Young experiment. TT all but admitted that he should have signed someone like that at the start of the off-season to give him more time to learn the offense. Then he basically scrambled to get two new backups...not good. I know, QB, it's a whole other level of challenge, but you should properly plan each position group and not leave things to chance.

I hope that Monty never gets hurt, has an awesome season and that all the new backs are studs. If you are TT, have you done enough for the position at this point? I think if he stands pat at the position, he is taking a bit of a risk. Don't get me wrong, they all look good and bring different things to the table, but they are all rookies and as of right now and they are the backups. Is that enough?

Joemailman
05-02-2017, 06:22 AM
I hope that Monty never gets hurt, has an awesome season and that all the new backs are studs. If you are TT, have you done enough for the position at this point? I think if he stands pat at the position, he is taking a bit of a risk. Don't get me wrong, they all look good and bring different things to the table, but they are all rookies and as of right now and they are the backups. Is that enough?

Runningback is one position where rookies can contribute right away. Williams might not be the most dynamic prospect out there, but he seems pretty solid overall. I wouldn't be surprised if he's playing as much or More than Monty by the end of the year. Packers have had recent success with rookie runningbacks (Lacy, Starks in the playoffs, Brandon Jackson). If it appears at the end of training camp that the rookies aren't ready, there will be veterans available to be picked up.

pbmax
05-02-2017, 09:25 AM

Except for pass blocking (and Ripper can do that) RB is the position most amenable to being played well while very young.

MadScientist
05-02-2017, 09:28 AM
Runningback is one position where rookies can contribute right away. Williams might not be the most dynamic prospect out there, but he seems pretty solid overall. I wouldn't be surprised if he's playing as much or More than Monty by the end of the year. Packers have had recent success with rookie runningbacks (Lacy, Starks in the playoffs, Brandon Jackson). If it appears at the end of training camp that the rookies aren't ready, there will be veterans available to be picked up.
The most critical thing Packers RB's have to learn to be able to contribute is blitz pick-up. If they can do that, they have a shot at playing. Otherwise the Packers will be limited to Monty and Rip for passing plays, and it will be harder to disguise what play they are planning to run.

Cheesehead Craig
05-02-2017, 09:28 AM
I just want a RB that can run between the tackles like Ahman Green, run the screen like Edgar Bennett and pass block like Brandon Jackson. Is that so wrong?

pbmax
05-02-2017, 09:55 AM
I just want a RB that can run between the tackles like Ahman Green, run the screen like Edgar Bennett and pass block like Brandon Jackson. Is that so wrong?

You are going to need a waiver for that kind of genetic experimentation.

King Friday
05-02-2017, 11:32 AM
The way I see it, Michael has breakaway ability that none of the rookies have. It would be a shame to piss that away.

Breakaway ability for RBs is overrated, especially if they are sniffing the ass of someone on the OL every other snap.

Give me a guy who consistently gets 5 yard a carry.

Zool
05-02-2017, 11:33 AM

Seems perfectly reasonable.

Patler
05-02-2017, 11:57 AM

I think I would have preferred Green to Bennett on screens, and definitely would have taken him as a blocker over Jackson, even though Jackson was pretty darn good once he got the hang of it. So, no genetic hocus pocus needed, just the cloning of Ahman Green.............................. :)

Rutnstrut
05-02-2017, 10:20 PM
I think I would have preferred Green to Bennett on screens, and definitely would have taken him as a blocker over Jackson, even though Jackson was pretty darn good once he got the hang of it. So, no genetic hocus pocus needed, just the cloning of Ahman Green.............................. :)

Come on, there HAS to be a smattering of Levens in there also;)

bobblehead
05-03-2017, 12:13 AM

He has no vision running. MM preaches plant the foot and go. Chrissy plants both feet, dances a jitterbug, goes, then stops. Reverses course, commits to a hole, sees the safety so he breaks it outside. Strings the OLB out worse than I'm stringing out this analogy and then falls over.

texaspackerbacker
05-03-2017, 04:29 AM
Breakaway ability for RBs is overrated, especially if they are sniffing the ass of someone on the OL every other snap.

Give me a guy who consistently gets 5 yard a carry.

hahahaha That's what you want? On a clearly PASS FIRST team like the Packers are and should be, I'll take the home run hitter every time; You can have the damn plodder. The D makes a play just one time or a penalty or whatever, and you punt it away. No thanks.

I suppose to some extent it's true that Michael wasn't a very good example of that change of pace/breakaway threat because of his alleged lack of vision and/or stupidity. He's gone now, so he's no longer relevant. I hope this new guy, Aaron Jones is the "scatback" somebody said he was - and not so allegedly myopic and dumb. I guess you can never have too many Aarons in your backfield.

texaspackerbacker
05-03-2017, 04:32 AM
He has no vision running. MM preaches plant the foot and go. Chrissy plants both feet, dances a jitterbug, goes, then stops. Reverses course, commits to a hole, sees the safety so he breaks it outside. Strings the OLB out worse than I'm stringing out this analogy and then falls over.

It sounds like you're describing Barry Sanders - except maybe for the falling down part.

Cheesehead Craig
05-03-2017, 07:52 AM

Just trying to spread the love around.

bobblehead
05-03-2017, 08:36 AM
It sounds like you're describing Barry Sanders - except maybe for the falling down part.

And you just described the difference between barry and chrissy

pbmax
05-03-2017, 09:01 AM
Barry could make defenders miss and fall down just by planting and twisting. Michael did not take the time to make that happen. He never set anyone up. He wanted to outrun them all.

Guiness
05-03-2017, 05:06 PM

Can I hear it for a smattering of Tony Fischer 3rd down aptitude?

pbmax
05-03-2017, 05:46 PM
Can I hear it for a smattering of Tony Fischer 3rd down aptitude?

Agonizing wait for him to figure out how to run with the blockers. But he did get it eventually.

Fritz
05-04-2017, 06:58 AM
Goddammit, Jonathan Franklin woulda been a contender.

Joemailman
05-04-2017, 07:43 AM
Goddammit, Jonathan Franklin woulda been a contender.

Come on Fritz. If you're going to use "woulda", then you have to use "contenda".

3irty1
05-04-2017, 10:26 AM
I think the big issue with Michael is a poor work ethic. Not a guy you want lingering around spoiling all this new RB meat.