PDA

View Full Version : Packers Offered Brett Hundley in Trade Talks

pbmax
04-30-2017, 12:29 PM
In an item weirdly buried at the end of a rehash, Rob Demovsky writes that the Packers were talking abut trading Brett Hundley during the draft.

He says the talks were during the second day of the draft and they came close to dealing him.

Seems a little odd, because if all goes well, he would seem to have more value after a preseason game or two after getting hurt last camp.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/38618/packers-emphasize-defense-first-in-draft-but-did-they-do-enough-to-fix-it

RashanGary
04-30-2017, 01:17 PM
Waiting is good idea. Tells me they like Callahan. And I do too.

Fritz
04-30-2017, 02:01 PM
I wonder what they dangled him for. An extra second round pick, maybe?

Brandon494
04-30-2017, 02:33 PM
Damn wish a team would have jumped on him, I imagine the draft would have went a lot different if we acquired an extra 2nd round pick.

red
04-30-2017, 03:03 PM
this would explain the kizer rumors

gbgary
04-30-2017, 03:07 PM
trade him for an o-lineman if the new old-guy doesn't look like he's got anything left.

pbmax
04-30-2017, 03:47 PM
this would explain the kizer rumors

Not at the top of the second. If you trade your backup to get a different backup with a high pick, at best you have recovered your original cost (backup QB and fourth/fifth round pick).

Maybe the new backup is better, but he isn't going to play, so why do the trade?

If the guy was as undeniable as Rodgers, they would have picked him regardless.

red
04-30-2017, 04:13 PM
Not at the top of the second. If you trade your backup to get a different backup with a high pick, at best you have recovered your original cost (backup QB and fourth/fifth round pick).

Maybe the new backup is better, but he isn't going to play, so why do the trade?

If the guy was as undeniable as Rodgers, they would have picked him regardless.

my thought was that TT or fat mike maybe liked what they saw from kizer more then what they had in hundley

but just my theory

Pugger
04-30-2017, 06:17 PM
I don't know if I'd want Callahan and/or Kizer backing up AR. We should keep Hundley and showcase him this summer. Then perhaps during the next draft - which I understand will be miles better as far as QBs go - we can dangle Brett and perhaps get a really good backup for 2018.

wthigoot
04-30-2017, 07:59 PM
Weird scenario:

Have all Packers 2018 picks.
Before 2018 draft, get a 2nd and 4th for Hundley.
Get comp picks 3rd, 5th, 5th, 6th.
Get the conditional 7th for Lerentee McCray.

Now you can trade an entire 2018 draft (1st-7th) to move up in the 1st round, and still have another full 2018 draft. With an extra 5th.

Just need to find a player that's worth it.

gbgary
04-30-2017, 08:53 PM
Weird scenario:

Now you can trade an entire 2018 draft (1st-7th) to move up in the 1st round, and still have another full 2018 draft. With an extra 5th.

lol...that's brilliant.

woodbuck27
01-11-2018, 03:13 PM
Bumped.

Carolina_Packer
01-11-2018, 03:17 PM
I wonder what they dangled him for. An extra second round pick, maybe?

Had they gotten the same compensation for Hundley as New England got for Jimmy G, that would have been incredible.

QBME
01-11-2018, 06:38 PM
I've been thinking about BH and how it could have gone incredibly wrong.

For the past couple of seasons BH has been in the QB room, been on the practice field, running the practice squad. I can only assume that MM, the QB whisperer/developer was watching and liked what he saw.

Then the disaster. MM stated he was disappointed BH was not prepared to step up and step in. Boom boom out goes the lights for AVP and what's his name.

My guess is BH really had the practice thing down. He was comfortable and among team mates. Then reality hit and he was in front of full house stadiums, music, noises, PA announcers, real time clocks, helmet communications, etc. He freaked out, chewed gum harder the harder it got, and I think that's what MM meant when he referred to BH not being prepared.

Kinda like playing golf. You practice, you show up, hit the range and start striping the ball. Then you get to the first tee and everything goes sideways.

smuggler
01-11-2018, 06:41 PM
lol...that's brilliant.

Truly Kevin Costner level intrigue right there.

Bretsky
01-11-2018, 07:25 PM
Can't believe they were offered much; and It prolly went down

pbmax
01-11-2018, 09:10 PM

For the past couple of seasons BH has been in the QB room, been on the practice field, running the practice squad. I can only assume that MM, the QB whisperer/developer was watching and liked what he saw.

Then the disaster. MM stated he was disappointed BH was not prepared to step up and step in. Boom boom out goes the lights for AVP and what's his name.

My guess is BH really had the practice thing down. He was comfortable and among team mates. Then reality hit and he was in front of full house stadiums, music, noises, PA announcers, real time clocks, helmet communications, etc. He freaked out, chewed gum harder the harder it got, and I think that's what MM meant when he referred to BH not being prepared.

Kinda like playing golf. You practice, you show up, hit the range and start striping the ball. Then you get to the first tee and everything goes sideways.

I can see someone who cannot translate the practice field to game day.

What worries me most is McCarthy saying he was light years better later in the year. I don't know what he was watching to say that unless he meant "at Pittsburgh".

QBME
01-11-2018, 09:30 PM

What worries me most is McCarthy saying he was light years better later in the year. I don't know what he was watching to say that unless he meant "at Pittsburgh".

Do you think there’s hope with the changing of the guard, or is BH truly a late round pick that didn’t pan out, for whatever reason?

woodbuck27
01-11-2018, 09:40 PM

Yes sure but when you practising golf with your buddy and talking about " just how sweet your swing has become and your prepared for that next Round of Golf " ;

You hit the LINKS with Buddy and play a round. At the 19th Hole, and over a beer and burger, you don't inform Buddy " just how great that swing was today " ,when you shot a 120 Score for 18 Holes.

Then play 7 more Rounds of golf with Buddy, and also at the 19th Hole inform him that, " that swing is getting sweeter all the time " and one game breaking 100 was clouded by 2 scores of 130.

That analogy just about sums up Packer Head Coach Mike McCarthy and his ' hilarious as if anyone with even the lowest Football IQ is going to swallow ', absolute Donkey Shit !

QBME
01-11-2018, 10:04 PM
Yes sure but when you practising golf with your buddy and talking about " just how sweet your swing has become and your prepared for that next Round of Golf " ;

You hit the LINKS with Buddy and play a round. At the 19th Hole, and over a beer and burger, you don't inform Buddy " just how great that swing was today " ,when you shot a 120 Score for 18 Holes.

Then play 7 more Rounds of golf with Buddy, and also at the 19th Hole inform him that, " that swing is getting sweeter all the time " and one game breaking 100 was clouded by 2 scores of 130.

That analogy just about sums up Packer Head Coach Mike McCarthy and his ' hilarious as if anyone with even the lowest Football IQ is going to swallow ', absolute Donkey Shit !

Dang Woody, if I'm truly on my way to a 120 please take me out back and shoot me after the front 9.

By the way....after reading your posts for the past few weeks I'm getting the impression you are not a big fan of Coach McCarthy. Is this accurate or am I just reading something into it?

Cheesehead Craig
01-11-2018, 10:10 PM
Weird scenario:

A 2nd and 4th for Hundley? Maybe if the other GM is high on heroin.

woodbuck27
01-11-2018, 10:22 PM
A 2nd and 4th for Hundley? Maybe if the other GM is high on heroin.

This is what I see watching Brett Hundley on any Passing Play:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyiWio7WEAAhxc6.jpg

mraynrand
01-12-2018, 08:58 AM

Probably the same as when AJ Hawk was really good at relaying signals and stuff. Hundley probably got better understanding the offense and the calls. Problem is that all that understanding can't throw an accurate pass.

Tony Oday
01-12-2018, 09:05 AM
MM slapped his dog and slept with his wife. He's a little pissy.

gbgary
01-12-2018, 01:08 PM
he'll be out of football next year.

Harlan Huckleby
01-12-2018, 02:05 PM
he'll be out of football next year.

ding ding ding

I wanted to jump on Pugger for her "showcase" line but was afraid of winding up on a #MeToo list.

I assume by "draft time" we are talking a year ago, before Hundley was exposed. If not, don't give me a clue, it will just upset me.

texaspackerbacker
01-12-2018, 02:13 PM
It's not far-fetched at all that we could get a decent draft pick for Hundley. It's primarily imbeciles in here and elsewhere who tend to piss on Hundley. He was not and I'm pretty sure still is not seen as all that bad by NFL personnel people and rational people in general.

Harlan Huckleby
01-12-2018, 02:33 PM
rational people

hee hee hee

OK, you did call Aaron Jones correctly. But one out of two only makes you a half wit.

mraynrand
01-12-2018, 02:36 PM
It's not far-fetched at all that we could get a decent draft pick for Hundley. It's primarily imbeciles in here and elsewhere who tend to piss on Hundley. He was not and I'm pretty sure still is not seen as all that bad by NFL personnel people and rational people in general.

never say die

MadScientist
01-12-2018, 02:57 PM

There was some article that was quoting a scout or exec that said Hundley could fetch a 2 before the season and nothing now. Execs would likely give him a pass for taking too many sacks, as it takes all young QB's a few seasons to develop that 6th sense. His arm strength would still rate as ok. Not great, but probably good enough. His big ding would be on his accuracy. About the only deep ball I can think he hit on was a totally blown coverage. On medium routes he was very often behind the receiver, leading all too frequently to the ball bouncing off his hands and getting picked. He could hit slants and short routes, but that was about it.

If his college work showed a good long ball and more accurate medium passes, that would mitigate the problems and someone might still offer something for him. However, that is not the case.

This will be the real test - Does Cleveland offer anything for him. Kizer didn't show much (except maybe against the Packers sorry excuse for a D), so if the brain trust that knows him best doesn't want him, who else will? If they do want him, then clearly he is seen has having value by the people who know best.

mraynrand
01-12-2018, 03:01 PM
This will be the real test - Does Cleveland offer anything for him. Kizer didn't show much (except maybe against the Packers sorry excuse for a D), so if the brain trust that knows him best doesn't want him, who else will? If they do want him, then clearly he is seen has having value by the people who know best.

Cleveland spent an entire year gving Kizer experience. He's now at the threshold of being a serviceable backup/marginal starter (with an infusion of talent around him). Cleveland will get a legit starter and keep Kizer as their backup. There will be no interest in Hundley.

pbmax
01-12-2018, 05:17 PM
If not retained by the Packers on a cheap deal, maybe 2 years, he will be a street free agent and a camp arm for someone.

His absolute top upside would be to find a new coach, make some progress with some emergency starts and get a 3rd string job like Case Keenum.

McCarthy knows much more about QBs than I do, so maybe he is being serious about signs of development. But I am very doubtful. Of all the things you could list as the problem, inaccuracy is the big one, especially deep. If its mechanical or footwork related, what does another year get you that 3 did not?

woodbuck27
01-12-2018, 07:31 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000873618/article/packers-offense-unrecognizable-with-brett-hundley

Packers' offense unrecognizable with Brett Hundley

By Matt HarmonAssociate Fantasy Writer/Editor

Published: Nov. 7, 2017 at 12:28 a.m.

texaspackerbacker
01-12-2018, 08:26 PM
Imbeciles in here continue to pile on and piss all over Hundley. Mark my words, we will get something decent in trade for him, I'd say 4th round pick or better.

Inaccuracy? Try receivers not getting open. A lot of those throws behind receivers were so to not lead the receiver into coverage - you see a lot of other QBs do that too. No ability to avoid sacks? Try shitty O Line blocking. For a team like the Packers, where the QB gets such poor line blocking, being mobile is essential, and even the worst detractors can't dispute that he was Aaron Rodgers level or better in that area.

call_me_ishmael
01-12-2018, 11:08 PM
Man, wish they would have pulled the trigger when they had the chance. If the Packers cut Hundley today, somebody would try to sign him as a back-up I'm sure, but boy, he has no chance at ever being a starter in the league. He's awful.

smuggler
01-13-2018, 06:47 AM
Is the offense horrible, but Rodgers carries it to prominence? Or is Hundley one of the worst QBs to ever start in the modern era?

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

woodbuck27
01-13-2018, 07:13 AM
https://coachch.weebly.com/uploads/5/7/9/6/57963593/09capture_1_orig.jpg

This Chart (above) was created @ *** The Coach Clarahanson Show (and deserves all credit for it's creation and findings)

" Zero TD’s and 7 INT’s at home is not a winning formula. ***

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2017/REG/Packers

Brett Hundley was 3 W - 6 L in 2017. THe Scheduled games and scores are in the LINK above.

In the 6 losses with Brett Hundley @ QB:

The Green Bay Packers lost by a two-touchdown margin (approx. 15 Points). The Offense averaged 12 points The Defense averaged nearly 27 points allowed in these games.

Joemailman
01-13-2018, 08:10 AM
Is the offense horrible, but Rodgers carries it to prominence? Or is Hundley one of the worst QBs to ever start in the modern era?

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

It might be that they have designed an offense around Rodgers' unique skills and only Rodgers can really run it. Similar to what happened to Indy in 2011 when Peyton Manning was out. They went from 10-6 to 2-14. I think it does raise the question of the wisdom of developing a young unproven QB as backup vs. signing the vet who used to be a marginal starter and is now relegated to backup status. Especially now that the CBA has pretty much eliminated MM's offseason quarterback school. I always figured developing the young guy was MM's idea, but maybe it was Thompson's.

Pugger
01-13-2018, 08:26 AM
It is unfortunate Hundley just doesn't have "it" to be an NFL QB. I suspect he's one of those guys who looks decent enough at practice but not so hot in games when things start to get a little crazy. Judging if a collegiate QB can play in this league must be damn difficult when so many of them flop so spectacularly. Remember how some folks back in 2008 thought Brian Brohm was gonna push Rodgers for the staring job?? :lol:

Maxie the Taxi
01-13-2018, 08:48 AM
It might be that they have designed an offense around Rodgers' unique skills and only Rodgers can really run it. Similar to what happened to Indy in 2011 when Peyton Manning was out. They went from 10-6 to 2-14. I think it does raise the question of the wisdom of developing a young unproven QB as backup vs. signing the vet who used to be a marginal starter and is now relegated to backup status. Especially now that the CBA has pretty much eliminated MM's offseason quarterback school. I always figured developing the young guy was MM's idea, but maybe it was Thompson's.+1

bobblehead
01-13-2018, 08:58 AM

Dang man, learn how to admit a mistake. At lease Allen Babre is still in the NFL and STARTING, but I still admit I missed badly on him.

woodbuck27
01-13-2018, 09:05 AM
It might be that they have designed an offense around Rodgers' unique skills and only Rodgers can really run it. Similar to what happened to Indy in 2011 when Peyton Manning was out. They went from 10-6 to 2-14. I think it does raise the question of the wisdom of developing a young unproven QB as backup vs. signing the vet who used to be a marginal starter and is now relegated to backup status. Especially now that the CBA has pretty much eliminated MM's offseason quarterback school. I always figured developing the young guy was MM's idea, but maybe it was Thompson's.

" I always figured developing the young guy was MM's idea, but maybe it was Thompson's." Joemailman

What's it going to be now? Mike McCarthy can't speak up 'just for himself'? That's 'a real joke', if anyone decides to use that defense of Mike McCarthy.

Mike McCarthy is CLEARLY on Record, as saying (after Aaron Rodgers went down) and over and over again , that Brett Hundley was his Man and prepared to go as the Packer starting QB.

After every loss (even) MM never indicted Brett Hundley.He (Brett Hundley) was improving, growing as a Starting QB, according to Mike McCarthy.

Comment woodbuck27:

Horseshit Mike McCarthy !.

What was really going on at the expense of Packer Nation?

Packer HC Mike McCarthy defended that position, over bringing in another more game experienced QB.

Some time in the future, and in Court and the 'Colin Kaepernick sides charge'. Mike McCarthy is going to be in 'the Hot Seat' and why he elected to go with his Guy Brett Hundley (hahaha), over Colin Kaepernick.

That's going to be interesting. If anyone can squirm out from beneath it, it's Mike McCarthy. He's very experienced. :-|

Maxie the Taxi
01-13-2018, 09:08 AM
It is unfortunate Hundley just doesn't have "it" to be an NFL QB. I suspect he's one of those guys who looks decent enough at practice but not so hot in games when things start to get a little crazy. Judging if a collegiate QB can play in this league must be damn difficult when so many of them flop so spectacularly. Remember how some folks back in 2008 thought Brian Brohm was gonna push Rodgers for the staring job?? :lol:It's a crap shoot for sure. But a lot of the problem is scouting confirmation bias. Individuality gets lost in the stereotype of the model NFL QB. Russell Wilson couldn't make it in the NFL because of his height. Rodgers was a "system" QB. It works the other way too when a kid is tagged with a "can't miss" label for one reason or another. See JaMarcus Russell.

Smidgeon
01-13-2018, 12:56 PM

Does that mean M3 is a "highly successful football coach" because he got more wins out of Hundley in part of a year than the Colts did in an entire year?