PDA

View Full Version : Pete Prisco's Team Grades for 2017 Draft

Packgator
04-30-2017, 03:21 PM
Prisco's final grades came in with 5 A's and 2 D's. All other teams graded B or C.

A's: Green Bay, Arizona, Cincinnati, San Fran, and Cleveland.

D's: Chicago and Detroit

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/priscos-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams-five-earn-as-and-two-fall-short-with-ds/

gbgary
04-30-2017, 03:31 PM
don't remember who did it but i read a guy a yesterday gave them a B+.

here's link that gives grades from several sources...http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2017/4/30/15490544/2017-nfl-draft-grades-winners-losers-results-analysis

Like Baltimore, Green Bay is a team with a veteran general manager in Ted Thompson who got high marks for picking needs on defense. The team got potential starters Kevin King and Josh Jones with its first two picks. The key to this draft could be Vince Biegel, who could be the team’s future as an edge rusher.

SB Nation grade: B+

CBS Sports: A

USA Today: A-

Sports Illustrated: B+

Washington Post: B

Joemailman
04-30-2017, 03:42 PM
Prisco likes Adams a lot more than some people. He also sees Williams as a legit starting running back. If he's right, it could be a heck of a draft.

vince
04-30-2017, 05:25 PM

here's link that gives grades from several sources...http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2017/4/30/15490544/2017-nfl-draft-grades-winners-losers-results-analysis
Washington Post = Fake News

Another to add to the list.
MSN.com (http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/2017-nfl-draft-final-grades-how-did-your-team-do/ss-BBAx8b1?fullscreen=true#image=13)

Green Bay Packers
Grade: A+ Yes to everything on this board. They added two of the best secondary players in this draft in the second round, a perfect fit for them in the middle of their line in Montravious Adams in the third round, a high-floor outside linebacker in Vince Biegel and three really good running backs — Aaron Jones could be a stud. Don't sleep on Malachi Dupre, pick No. 247, either.

vince
04-30-2017, 05:35 PM
Walter Football (http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgradesteam.php)

Green Bay Packers: A Grade
Goals Entering the 2017 NFL Draft: The Packers were completely incapable of containing the Falcons in the NFC Championship. Adding a pass-rusher, an inside linebacker and a couple of defensive backs is imperative. The offense, meanwhile, is mostly set, though a running back and a guard are needed.

2017 NFL Draft Accomplishments: A team puts together a truly great draft class when it trades down and still obtains talented prospects throughout the weekend. That's exactly what Ted Thompson was able to do in the 2017 NFL Draft.

The Packers moved out of the first round when the Browns wanted to move up for David Njoku. This gave them more ammunition, and Thompson took advantage of it. He began by selecting two talented defensive backs in the second round, Kevin King and Josh Jones. Both players could've gone earlier than they did, as they provided great value at Nos. 33 and 61, respectively.

Thompson turned to his front seven next, selecting Montravius Adams and Vince Biegel. These picks weren't as great as the first two, but they still earned a "B" and a B+, respectively. Adams will bolster the interior pass rush, while Biegel could earn playing time at inside linebacker in the near future.

Of the Packers' first seven picks, they scored three "A" grades, and they didn't get anything below a B-. There were some sketchy selections late in the draft, but even then, Green Bay obtained a tremendous value in Malachi Dupre.

This was an awesome draft for Green Bay.

vince
04-30-2017, 05:40 PM
Chad Reuter, NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000804541/article/2017-nfl-draft-quicksnap-grades-for-all-32-teams)

Green Bay Packers
Draft picks: Kevin King (No. 33 overall), Josh Jones (No. 61 overall), Montravius Adams (No. 93 overall), Vince Biegel (No. 108 overall), Jamaal Williams (No. 134 overall), DeAngelo Yancey (No. 175 overall), Aaron Jones (No. 182 overall), Kofi Amichia (No. 212 overall), Devante Mays (No. 238 overall), Malachi Dupre (No. 247 overall)
Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: C
Overall grade: B+
The skinny: The Browns presented Green Bay excellent value in a trade out of the first round, so the Packers took it. Instead of trading down for more picks, Ted Thompson stayed put and got the difference-making cornerback he needed in Kevin King. Then they selected safety Josh Jones, who will play in the Micah Hyde role for the Packers despite being a solid 220 pounds. Bulking up the defensive line with Montravius Adams is a big help, as he can play nose tackle or five-technique. He's an excellent value at No. 93.

On Day 3, Green Bay continued to improve the defense. Vince Biegel is a solid inside/outside linebacker, which they needed. They also found an excellent replacement for power back Eddie Lacy in Jamaal Williams, and then hit the position twice more with UTEP's Aaron Jones and Devante Mays. That's probably overkill for a position where there will be plenty of undrafted free agents available. Receiver DeAngelo Yancey was one of the hottest names among prospects who weren't invited to the combine this year.

QBME
04-30-2017, 05:48 PM
Prisco's final grades came in with 5 A's and 2 D's. All other teams graded B or C.

D's: Chicago

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/priscos-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams-five-earn-as-and-two-fall-short-with-ds/

QBME likey

Radagast
04-30-2017, 05:51 PM
Grading a Draft Class before they have even stepped, officially, upon an NFL field is like trying to appraise a house without actually visiting the property, it is just not done .

As much as I like the positions of the players selected in this years draft, that does not translate directly into players that will be able to elevate their game as we would like to see happen. Some may have maxed out their level's of play already at their College's. Others still , may have levels they have yet to achieve. One position, IMO , that was not addressed in this year's draft was an Edge Rusher. An OLB or DE that could back-up Matthews and Perry, but that may be addressed in the UDFA pool .

SMBASS
04-30-2017, 05:57 PM
Pre-draft player grades and post-draft team grades are a complete joke to me. I guess they're fun to discuss and add to the conversation but in the greater scheme they don't mean a damn thing. Every single year you see plenty of, "cant miss" graded players who end up being complete busts and numerous players nobody has ever heard of end up having long productive pro careers.

vince
04-30-2017, 06:10 PM
They're a natural extension of the huge attraction of the draft itself, which is based entirely on projections and forecasts of college players. Of course they don't "mean anything" at this point. To say that we don't know how they actually turn out until we can see how they actually turn out is self-definingly obvious. But it's "done" every year and obviously generates a lot of interest among fans and analysts who like to speculate about college talent and project the overall direction teams might be headed in the future.

pbmax
04-30-2017, 06:24 PM
I hate winning the offseason.

Pugger
04-30-2017, 06:25 PM
I have a feeling Ted was getting these high marks because he addressed a lot of our needs in this draft. Getting 10 picks in 7 rounds isn't too shabby. He also filled some holes in FA for a change so we might look back at this spring fondly later on.

Packgator
04-30-2017, 07:22 PM
I hate winning the offseason.

But, it's still nice seeing the Bears and Lions lose the offseason. Those D grades for them look good.

gbgary
04-30-2017, 09:04 PM
Grading a Draft Class before they have even stepped, officially, upon an NFL field is like trying to appraise a house without actually visiting the property, it is just not done .

where have you been? drafts have been graded/judged/critiqued by the ne'er-do-wells/sports media/fans since...drafting began! it's un-american not to.

Radagast
04-30-2017, 09:21 PM
where have you been? drafts have been graded/judged/critiqued by the ne'er-do-wells/sports media/fans since...drafting began! it's un-american not to.

I disagree, but defend your right to be goofey .

Do you even know who of GB's 2017 Draft picks visited the Team prior to the Draft ? How many/can you name them ? (if any)

gbgary
04-30-2017, 10:03 PM
I disagree, but defend your right to be goofey .

Do you even know who of GB's 2017 Draft picks visited the Team prior to the Draft ? How many/can you name them ? (if any)

lol...well hell no. off the top of my head i can't even name half the guys that were acutally drafted. what does my memory have to do with media grading drafts? lol

i didn't give them a grade.

gbgary
04-30-2017, 10:09 PM
Green Bay Packers
Draft picks: Kevin King (No. 33 overall), Josh Jones (No. 61 overall), Montravius Adams (No. 93 overall), Vince Biegel (No. 108 overall), Jamaal Williams (No. 134 overall), DeAngelo Yancey (No. 175 overall), Aaron Jones (No. 182 overall), Kofi Amichia (No. 212 overall), Devante Mays (No. 238 overall), Malachi Dupre (No. 247 overall)
Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: C
Overall grade: B+

i love the 'Day 1' A. Packers did nothing that day.

RashanGary
04-30-2017, 10:15 PM
King obviously has star potential. The S/LB too. I think the RB Williams and Adams both have high end starter potential. Montravius is a wild card. Big guy. Never know. Biegel looks like the type to contribute. The OL guy is a high upside project. Both receivers and the last back could be alright too......

We have a chance to have one of those really impactful drafts. Would love to get a star and 3 or 4 starters. I really hope so!!! We need a SB soon or our Rodgers window will start to close.

King Friday
04-30-2017, 11:21 PM
i love the 'Day 1' A. Packers did nothing that day.

Except turn one pick into both King and Biegel. That's why Thompson gets an A and you get a block.

texaspackerbacker
04-30-2017, 11:28 PM
What radagast said above makes the most sense. It's all speculation at this point. Check again in 3 or 5 or 10 years.

Just the same, this draft SEEMS at first glance to be Ted's best in my memory. And I do NOT just mean that in terms of filling needs; I mean it in terms of at least perceived quality.

Radagast
05-01-2017, 02:37 AM
The following players visited the GB Packers prior to the draft and were then drafted by the Packers.
They are :

DeAngelo Yancey / WR / Purdue
Kofi Amichia / OL / South Florida
Devante Mays / RB / Utah State

:pack:

Fritz
05-01-2017, 07:01 AM
Well, we of course don't know jack about how who will pan out and who won't, not for any of these teams. But da Bears sure did give up the farm to move up - I love this - one spot! After giving a young guy a big contract to play the same position.

Minnesota looks like they may be back to their bad old ways - drafting Cook in the second round. Lions, too, drafting Teez Tabor in the second, then a bunch of third wide receivers and special teamers, it appears.

But who knows. The fun is in finding out.

3irty1
05-01-2017, 08:10 AM
In a way I think it makes more sense to rank a draft now for purposes of GM accountability. Or in a few months maybe. For purposes of coach accountability 4 years should do.

I think its a bad assumption that some players are destined for greatness independent of the circumstances of the team that drafts them. In an alternate reality Rodgers may have been a 49er and never developed into the MVP-level talent he is now. There are probably players that never hit with the Packers who could have been pro bowlers elsewhere. And I'm not just talking about schematic fit but the whole infinite collection of variances that are set in motion once drafted by a team in the NFL. So I see the temptation of thinking "what if we took Ngata over Hawk?" but there is no guarantee that Ngata the prospect would have been Ngata the star without Ray Lewis barking orders behind him. It could well have taken his coaches, trainers, friendships, teammates, family, fans, and a million other things in that exact situation to make him. Maybe he comes to GB and our trainers destroy his back in the weight room and he becomes nothing but a curse word Bretsky uses in traffic.

For this reason the Brian Brohms and Khyri Thorntons are the worst draft picks to hang on Ted. They were piles of shit so immediately that its hard to imagine what it would take to cultivate whatever talent they had.

Guiness
05-01-2017, 08:31 AM
For this reason the Brian Brohms and Khyri Thorntons are the worst draft picks to hang on Ted. They were piles of shit so immediately that its hard to imagine what it would take to cultivate whatever talent they had.

Thornton is actually still in the league - playing for the Lions, I believe. Those big bodies tend to get more chances though.

Brohm...that was a bad one. I always though TT might've been at odds with a previously very highly rated player (and a QB!) being on the board 2/3 of the way through the second and panicked a little.

Teamcheez1
05-01-2017, 08:42 AM
The same people calling the draft grades worthless would be frothing at the mouth if the Packers had received poor draft grades for this year. Too many armchair GM's.

vince
05-01-2017, 09:07 AM
In a way I think it makes more sense to rank a draft now for purposes of GM accountability. Or in a few months maybe. For purposes of coach accountability 4 years should do.

I think its a bad assumption that some players are destined for greatness independent of the circumstances of the team that drafts them. In an alternate reality Rodgers may have been a 49er and never developed into the MVP-level talent he is now. There are probably players that never hit with the Packers who could have been pro bowlers elsewhere. And I'm not just talking about schematic fit but the whole infinite collection of variances that are set in motion once drafted by a team in the NFL. So I see the temptation of thinking "what if we took Ngata over Hawk?" but there is no guarantee that Ngata the prospect would have been Ngata the star without Ray Lewis barking orders behind him. It could well have taken his coaches, trainers, friendships, teammates, family, fans, and a million other things in that exact situation to make him. Maybe he comes to GB and our trainers destroy his back in the weight room and he becomes nothing but a curse word Bretsky uses in traffic.

Killer post 31. Though I think it's fair to hold the GM responsible for drafting/adding players that can/will thrive within the circumstances of the team as constructed.

As you say it's more complex than simply assessing talent in a vacuum. I think your post says a lot about Ted's approach to player acquisition beyond the draft as well.

gbgary
05-01-2017, 11:03 AM
It's all speculation at this point. Check again in 3 or 5 or 10 years.

of course it is. these guys/publications are doing it just for fun (and it's their job). that's what it is. just like these chat boards. talking points and fun.

Carolina_Packer
05-01-2017, 11:06 AM
Totally excluding picks that had their careers derailed by injury early on, it amazes me when the team drafts a guy in the first three or four rounds and they come in and look like they can't play. Likewise, we all love it when a player is found where least expected. I wasn't crazy about picking DeAngelo Yancey where he was chosen, however, if he catches on and turns out to be a decent pro, then my concerns were unfounded.

Pugger
05-01-2017, 11:45 AM
I must be in the minority because I don't care when a guy is taken. If he ends up that he can play and really contribute isn't that all that matters in the end?

red
05-01-2017, 11:46 AM
you can always grade drafts on how well they addressed their needs

in that case, i think we would get about a B, we still might have the Ilb or OLB depth problem, depending on where beigel plays. and we still have barclay as our #1 backup at guard

red
05-01-2017, 11:48 AM
I must be in the minority because I don't care when a guy is taken. If he ends up that he can play and really contribute isn't that all that matters in the end?

yeah, good point. who cares if a guy is a reach in the 4th if he becomes a starter

SMBASS
05-01-2017, 12:02 PM
The same people calling the draft grades worthless would be frothing at the mouth if the Packers had received poor draft grades for this year. Too many armchair GM's.

No I wouldn't. I don't and never have cared about post-draft grades. Wait and see how these guys perform for a few years and then re-visit the draft success. It's simply something for people to write and talk about. It's fine with me if people want to act as though they carry any weight. IMO they don't. It has nothing to do with being an, "armchair GM". I'm not saying it's a good or a bad draft in any way yet. Of course there are players I'm glad to see us pick and some that leave me scratching my head. For example, I really wanted to see us grab Perine from Oklahoma with the first pick in the 4th Rd. but I'm not going to blow a gasket or lose any sleep over the fact that we didn't.

bobblehead
05-01-2017, 12:24 PM

MSN.com (http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/2017-nfl-draft-final-grades-how-did-your-team-do/ss-BBAx8b1?fullscreen=true#image=13)

I read that article. GB got the only A+

woodbuck27
05-01-2017, 01:45 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706871-at-long-last-the-packers-seem-to-understand-that-its-evolve-or-die-in-the-nfl?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

At Long Last, the Packers Seem to Understand That It's Evolve or Die in the NFL

MIKE FREEMAN ... MAY 1, 2017

" Thompson's embrace of a more modern, or at least, current way of doing things in the NFL has all but stunned his counterparts across the league. Six different team officials told me they were flabbergasted by the change in someone they believed had become too dogmatic and stubborn in his approach to a rapidly changing NFL world."

Comment woodbuck27:

A fine compliment to Ted Thompson from a respected writer...Mike Freeman.

woodbuck27
05-01-2017, 02:07 PM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706863-nfl-draft-results-2017-full-grades-for-event-and-biggest-late-round-steals?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Another site gives the Packers a B- Grade:

" Green Bay Packers B- Kevin King and Montravius Adams were nice values. The Packers addressed running back by selecting three players at the position. "

bobblehead
05-01-2017, 02:32 PM
The following players visited the GB Packers prior to the draft and were then drafted by the Packers.
They are :

DeAngelo Yancey / WR / Purdue
Kofi Amichia / OL / South Florida
Devante Mays / RB / Utah State

:pack:

All lies. TT is lazy and only had one player in for an interview.

vince
05-01-2017, 02:34 PM
Those who were paying attention saw this offseason as shaping up very differently for Thompson. Ted managed it better than most by doing some of the heavy lifting last year getting rid of Sitton a year earlier than expected. Still there were a number of important pieces coming due who were at different turning points in their careers as Packers to varying degrees and for various reasons - Lacy, Lang, Peppers, Tretter, Shields, Cook, Perry, Hyde, Starks, Jones, etc. That's a ton of production to lose and/or have to pay up for all in one year.

Big changes were almost inevitable and I believe Ted stayed true to his way this year rather than "evolving."

Extra picks help Ted Thompson retool Packers roster (http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/draft/2017/04/29/extra-picks-help-ted-thompson-retool-packers-roster/101066230/)

The beauty of general manager Ted Thompson’s draft-and-develop system is that the Green Bay Packers never should be in a rebuilding mode.

As long as Thompson is making the right choices 50-60 percent of the time with his draft selections, the warehouse never should run out of goods. Whenever items are pulled off the shelves because someone paid a pretty price for them or their expiration dates passed or they become damaged, newer merchandise fills their place.

Of late, Thompson hasn’t had to restock his shelves all that much.
But after watching his team crumble under the weight of injuries and inadequate depth, Thompson went out to retool his roster in a way he hadn’t since 2006 when he signed Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett and finagled 12 draft picks.

Across the NFL, many of the front-office executives who help shape their teams' drafts have always viewed Ted Thompson as almost a God-like figure. He is, by some, literally worshipped.

They see the Packers' general manager as an OG, a genius, a model for how to run a team. They look at Thompson the way Starfleet captains look at James Kirk. Thompson's intelligence, his draft picks, his common-sense approach and the way he refuses to publicly pat himself on the back for some of the best picks of all time—like Aaron Rodgers—are just some of the reasons why he's so cherished.

This idea that Thompson has somehow "evolved" and risen from the depths of yesterday's game are a gross oversimplification and a misunderstanding of what's happened this year. While he necessarily signed more FA's this offseason, those moves were necessitated by the state of the roster not by some new approach. He was still characteristically judicious about not overspending or over-reaching.

Ted Thompson has always assessed the state of the roster and acted in ways he feels appropriate for maintaining balance between short-term needs and long-term health of the roster. That balance is different this year, which has driven the moves he's made but his strategic approach to building a team to win now and in the future remains the same as it's always been.

bobblehead
05-01-2017, 02:36 PM
Killer post 31. Though I think it's fair to hold the GM responsible for drafting/adding players that can/will thrive within the circumstances of the team as constructed.

As you say it's more complex than simply assessing talent in a vacuum. I think your post says a lot about Ted's approach to player acquisition beyond the draft as well.
That being said, Josh Jones was the perfect pick. He fills Hydes role this year, and Burnett is on the last year of his contract. Jones is a bigger body for the new hybrid ILB/S position we have been using. A good fit for this team right now.

vince
05-01-2017, 03:08 PM
That being said, Josh Jones was the perfect pick. He fills Hydes role this year, and Burnett is on the last year of his contract. Jones is a bigger body for the new hybrid ILB/S position we have been using. A good fit for this team right now.
Agree. Jones fills both an immediate and potential long-term need.

If anything appears different this year it's been the transparency of moves that so clearly address "need." I think it's clear that's always been a big part of the value equation but with the important losses of this year's departures in specific areas and how close the team continues to be year after year, the "needs" jump out a lot more than in the past when there's been less "starting role veteran" roster turnover.

gbgary
05-01-2017, 05:22 PM
This idea that Thompson has somehow "evolved" and risen from the depths of yesterday's game are a gross oversimplification and a misunderstanding of what's happened this year.

exactly. he had to involved in free agency because of the high number of people he let go. he's the same ted. watching the $. i thought he did a good job in the draft addressing needs even though he passed over watt and foster. the cb position was just too needy to ignore.

vince
05-01-2017, 06:19 PM
exactly. he had to involved in free agency because of the high number of people he let go. he's the same ted. watching the $. i thought he did a good job in the draft addressing needs even though he passed over watt and foster. the cb position was just too needy to ignore.
Yeah I hoped he'd really break from character, do the easy fan-friendly thing and cut a huge check to one of the #1 corner FA's. That would have guaranteed nothing but obviously didn't happen regardless.

We'll see how Ted's way fits with 31's "whole infinite collection of variances that are set in motion" this year. Given the addition of King and House, along with the return to health - and appropriate placement down the pecking order - of Randall, Rollins and Gunter, I think the corners are likely to be improved.

One of those 31esque butterfly-effect variances that concerns me is what happens if/when Perry and/or Matthews miss time with injury... Someone who hasn't really shown up yet is gonna need to be there.

Injuries in key spots last year set variances in motion that decimated the pass defense and proved to be their undoing in the NFC Championship. Bottom line is, given their early up-tempo offensive approach and play-from-ahead game strategy, they probably don't need a top 10 pass defense - but I'd say they do need to be top 20. Top 31 got them schooled pretty hard by the league's premiere offense 2 wins short of the goal.

Radagast
05-02-2017, 03:18 AM
Many , including myself , don't think it is reasonable to grade a new draft class. In fact , many feel it is only fair to grade following 3 seasons of play. With that in mind , the 2014 GB Draft Class should be ready to be graded.

IMO, the best players from the 2014 Draft were Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix / DB / Alabama and Corey Linsley /C/Ohio State. Davante Adams/WR/Fresno St. is a little above average.
I rate the 2014 GB Draft Class : C+

vince
05-02-2017, 07:08 AM
Now you're not only trolling this thread but you're trolling the 2014 class.

2014 Draft
21 Dix
53 Adams
85 Thornton
98 Rodgers
121 Bradford
161 Linsley
176 Abbrederis
197 Goodson
236 Janis

2014 Notable UDFA's
Joe Thomas
Jayrone Elliott
Mike Pennel
Justin Perillo

3 solid core starters including a pro-bowler
5 solid contributors including a couple ST aces
5 more guys not good enough to be Packers but still in the league

That's a Grade A haul all day long.

There's not another team in the league who acquired that much value from that class - including the 20 teams with higher draft slots.
2014 Draft by Team (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:ari)

Why do you have such an anti-Packer bias that you feel the need to troll so hard Rad?

beveaux1
05-02-2017, 07:21 AM
One of the best draft classes we've had. A year ago, Adams was not as highly thought of. The grade may not have been as high. Proves it takes at least three years for a good measurement.

Tony Oday
05-02-2017, 08:39 AM

Crap, A+ from the place that still has Hillary ahead in the Electoral count...

Zool
05-02-2017, 09:44 AM
Why do you have such an anti-Packer bias that you feel the need to troll so hard Rad?

It makes people feel smart and superior to point out the failings (actual or perceived) of others.

pbmax
05-02-2017, 09:49 AM
Unfortunately, this theme of Thompson evolving has become a thing. Here is Mike Freeman doing a survey of the greatest, recent, hits.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706871-at-long-last-the-packers-seem-to-understand-that-its-evolve-or-die-in-the-nfl

Just a couple things beyond what vince and gary wrote.

1. Its became clear that the solution to the Packer Offensive woes was a monster TE. It never before seemed that important, but against that man under cover 2, they needed him. Cook was a FA signing in 2016, which already runs counter to the narrative that Freeman and Spoon are pushing. Had his agent not tried to weasel a better deal at the last moment, he would have been resigned in a VERY Ted like move.

While Cook's agent was screwing around, Bennett came available and wanted to play for a winning team and I don't think his contract demand was at the far reaches of comprehension given his 2016 year. Pretty reasonable, slightly above Cook, for a more well rounded guy. Since he was replacing a FA signing himself, very Ted move for this position of sudden need. By sudden, I mean, prior to Cook, I would have gone to the mattresses arguing that TE was not that integral to McCarthy's offense. I was obviously wrong. Ted knew he needed a talent there and signed one like he did the year before.

Cook was the test case that TE was as vitally important as a top flight WR, as I bet M3 had been pointing out for some time.

2. DBs. The Defense had to be redone, obviously. Shields wasn't coming back and even if you agree with me that each of the young corners could become a #1 (Randall, Rollins, Gunter), the 2016 year made it clear that was no lock and even if one stepped forward, depth was a problem. Its not the first time Ted has remade a position in a short time period (QB, CB, ILB, TE, RB).

So he was going to collect DBs this offseason. House was a unique example of a prepared player available and ready for a bargain. Like resigning Jones after Jordy was hurt.

3. I do think Ted made one concession to his roster needing some retooling. Mid-range FAs. I suspect it was possible because he lost both offensive lineman in FA (Tretter and Lang) and did not expect to. He signed not only House at modest rates, but also Kendricks and Evans. Evans was need based, but I bet Kendricks was a coaching request. To have enough starter quality TEs (two plus backup) to reliably trot out 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR) all season long to entice teams out of nickel. Or punish them if they stay in it.

But #3 is a long way from revolutionizing Ted's approach. He had a boatload of money (more than the normal boatload) and went shopping. If he returned to non-FA form after a successful 2017-18 season, I would not be surprised.

Radagast
05-03-2017, 03:56 AM
In spite of TT, GB may have chosen well in the 2017 Draft. That remains to be seen down the road . I hope that the 2017 Packers will be SB Champions this season, but GB is not NE and I've learned not to get my hopes up too much with the current GM. The bad thing is that we will have wait to see how the next GM in GB preforms following 3 to 4 seasons . I'd be agreeable to giving Elliot Wolf a shot at the job.

ThunderDan
05-03-2017, 08:48 AM
In spite of TT, GB may have chosen well in the 2017 Draft.

This makes absolutely no sense. TT is in charge of the draft and makes the picks.

It would be similar to say if it wasn't for Augusta Nation Golf Club the Masters would suck.

call_me_ishmael
05-03-2017, 09:35 AM
LOL, Radagast doing the best he can to not admit that maybe he is wrong. LOL!

Joemailman
05-03-2017, 06:41 PM
In spite of Aaron Rodgers, Packers led the NFL in TD passes last year. I'd be agreeable to giving Brett Hundley a shot at the job.

hoosier
05-03-2017, 07:36 PM
GB is not NE and I've learned not to get my hopes up too much with the current GM.

Because, aside from the one exceptional team you just named, there are so many other GMs in the league with a better record of success than TT's, right?

Smidgeon
05-03-2017, 10:54 PM
Those who were paying attention saw this offseason as shaping up very differently for Thompson. Ted managed it better than most by doing some of the heavy lifting last year getting rid of Sitton a year earlier than expected. Still there were a number of important pieces coming due who were at different turning points in their careers as Packers to varying degrees and for various reasons - Lacy, Lang, Peppers, Tretter, Shields, Cook, Perry, Hyde, Starks, Jones, etc. That's a ton of production to lose and/or have to pay up for all in one year.

Big changes were almost inevitable and I believe Ted stayed true to his way this year rather than "evolving."

Extra picks help Ted Thompson retool Packers roster (http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/draft/2017/04/29/extra-picks-help-ted-thompson-retool-packers-roster/101066230/)

This idea that Thompson has somehow "evolved" and risen from the depths of yesterday's game are a gross oversimplification and a misunderstanding of what's happened this year. While he necessarily signed more FA's this offseason, those moves were necessitated by the state of the roster not by some new approach. He was still characteristically judicious about not overspending or over-reaching.

Ted Thompson has always assessed the state of the roster and acted in ways he feels appropriate for maintaining balance between short-term needs and long-term health of the roster. That balance is different this year, which has driven the moves he's made but his strategic approach to building a team to win now and in the future remains the same as it's always been.

Where is that second quote from?

pbmax
05-04-2017, 01:42 AM
Where is that second quote from?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706871-at-long-last-the-packers-seem-to-understand-that-its-evolve-or-die-in-the-nfl

I had a post about it somewhere in here I think, and Patler talked more at length about it in his thread.

Freeman is taking a few gibes WAY too seriously and overlooking the FAs Ted has actually signed.

Fritz
05-04-2017, 06:54 AM
I get so pissed off when people who are paid to write for a living - like the idiot who wrote the Bleacherreport article - don't seem to understand language. Here's the opening paragraph of that article:

"Across the NFL, many of the front-office executives who help shape their teams' drafts have always viewed Ted Thompson as almost a God-like figure. He is, by some, literally worshipped."

Does this guy have any idea what the word "literally" means? Or are there really a bunch of front office executives who get on their knees to worship little Ted Thompson statues they have set up on an altar in the corners of their offices?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8xQ0cyV5hkDlHdHwIktDFEE9fPK0GR e9hqqKwzGmUjOEmLsWB

pbmax
05-04-2017, 08:30 AM
I get so pissed off when people who are paid to write for a living - like the idiot who wrote the Bleacherreport article - don't seem to understand language. Here's the opening paragraph of that article:

"Across the NFL, many of the front-office executives who help shape their teams' drafts have always viewed Ted Thompson as almost a God-like figure. He is, by some, literally worshipped."

Does this guy have any idea what the word "literally" means? Or are there really a bunch of front office executives who get on their knees to worship little Ted Thompson statues they have set up on an altar in the corners of their offices?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8xQ0cyV5hkDlHdHwIktDFEE9fPK0GR e9hqqKwzGmUjOEmLsWB

C'mon Fritz, definition 4 of Merriam Webster!

extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem - 'worship of the dollar'

Fritz
05-04-2017, 10:32 AM
C'mon Fritz, definition 4 of Merriam Webster!

That's the definition of "literal"??

Sparkey
05-04-2017, 02:12 PM

It's only literal in a figurative sense.

Fritz
05-04-2017, 06:55 PM
It's only literal in a figurative sense.

So it's metaphorically literal?

Good call!

I literally, in a metaphoric way, am laughing my ass off right now.

hoosier
05-04-2017, 07:25 PM

It's a millennial thing, don't you know? Max's D4 is close but the millennial usage means something closer to bigly. For instance: "I was sitting there trying to write my final paper, and I could not think of anything to say. Then, suddenly, a light bulb literally went off in my head."

Zool
05-04-2017, 08:42 PM
"Literally" is the new "irregardless"

QBME
05-04-2017, 09:04 PM
"Literally" is the new "irregardless"

Not regarding the regarding....?...huh?

I could care less.

pbmax
05-04-2017, 09:27 PM

Definition of worship. They literally respect and admire how Ted operates.

Nah, your right it doesn't make sense that way either.

pbmax
05-04-2017, 09:28 PM
Not regarding the regarding....?...huh?

I could care less.

irregardless drives me nuts, because it very easy to find the base word and work forward.

Same with flammable/inflammable.

QBME
05-04-2017, 09:35 PM
irregardless drives me nuts, because it very easy to find the base word and work forward.

Same with flammable/inflammable.

All in all, I could care less....

pbmax
05-04-2017, 09:46 PM
All in all, I could care less....

:lol:

I couldn't care less about losing the contraction on that one.

bobblehead
05-05-2017, 08:26 AM

Oh heavens no...that would be idolatry. TT won't allow it.

bobblehead
05-05-2017, 08:28 AM
It's a millennial thing, don't you know? Max's D4 is close but the millennial usage means something closer to bigly. For instance: "I was sitting there trying to write my final paper, and I could not think of anything to say. Then, suddenly, a light bulb literally went off in my head."

In the case of many millennials I literally believe that!