PDA

View Full Version : Driver would welcome troubled Robinson

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-06-2006, 11:46 PM
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Sept. 6, 2006

Green Bay - Wide receiver Donald Driver happened to be in the building when free-agent wide receiver Koren Robinson made an official visit to the Green Bay Packers Sunday.

Although he saw Robinson, he did not get a chance to speak to him. If he could have, he would have told him that he was welcome in Green Bay. The Packers could use the help.

"He's a good kid," Driver said. "I know he can play the game. I don't know too much about Koren, but I know he is a good player. We only have four wides (receivers) on the active roster."

Driver is aware of Robinson's battle with alcohol, which has left him in deep water with authorities and the National Football League. Because of several alcohol-related incidents, Robinson is facing not only legal trouble but a possible one-year suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

It won't be known for a while whether Robinson will be suspended, but general manager Ted Thompson, who drafted Robinson in 2001 when he was with the Seattle Seahawks, wanted to see where the talented receiver and returner was in his life.

It's been less than a month since he was caught driving 100 mph in a 55 mph zone on his way back to the Minnesota Vikings' training camp in Mankato, Minn., and found to have a blood-alcohol level of 0.11 percent.

Thompson would not reveal anything about his conversation with Robinson, who made the Pro Bowl last season with the Vikings as a kick returner, and would not say if the Packers are interested in signing him.

"He came in and we had a little chat," Thompson said. "It was just a chance to sit down and talk."

If the Packers are interested, they probably wouldn't sign him until next week when vested veterans are no longer guaranteed their full salary. Anyone with more than four years of service who is on the roster opening day receives his base salary that year regardless if he gets cut or injured.

The Packers would be gambling that Robinson isn't suspended or that he would be able to play a significant amount of time while the appeal process goes on. It's possible Thompson feels that if Robinson were in an environment where he knew people such as Thompson and personnel analyst John Schneider, who was also with the Seahawks, he might stay clean.

Driver said Robinson would not be a threat to the camaraderie of the receivers and would be coming to an environment where his peer group is mostly family men.

"We are our own group," Driver said. "We're different because most of us are married, most of us have kids. We don't hang out that much. If he comes in and wants to be here, he'll be here. I think every man knows what they do wrong. He knows right from wrong.

"If he comes in and plays it will be a great situation. I think he would fit in this system. He's been in it for a long time."

Starter's stance
Though it appears Colin Cole has nailed down the starting defensive tackle position next to Ryan Pickett, no one on the defensive line will admit to knowing it.

The Packers included a depth chart on their weekly release and it listed Kenderick Allen as the starter. However, Allen said he hasn't been told he'll be the starter and insists none of the linemen in competition for the spot knows who will get the honor Sunday against Chicago.

"No one has told us anything," he said. "We joke about it, that we're going on the Internet to try to find out who it's going to be."

Cole has been working with the No. 1 unit, but the coaches rotate in Allen, Corey Williams, Cullen Jenkins and Johnny Jolly so much it's hard to tell who the starter is.

Exit plan
Quarterback Brett Favre said it's doubtful he would not finish his career with the Packers despite comments he made on HBO in which he said he would consider playing for another team if the Packers didn't want him.

"Would I consider playing for someone else?" Favre said. "I guess I would. Do I think that'll happen? I'm 99.9 percent sure that that won't happen."

Roster move
The Packers have said farewell to offensive lineman Adrian Klemm, who tore his Achilles' tendon in camp and was on injured reserve.

The Packers negotiated an injury settlement with Klemm that will allow him to become a free agent. Klemm was signed as a free agent last year to take over the guard spot vacated by Mike Wahle, but didn't adapt well to moving from tackle to guard.

Injury report
Fullback William Henderson took part in practice, but remains questionable for Sunday.

Henderson had arthroscopic knee surgery Aug. 21 and returned to practice Monday. A decision on his status might not be made until game day.

The Packers listed offensive lineman Junius Coston (knee) as out and cornerback Will Blackmon (foot) as doubtful.

The Chicago Bears listed eight players as questionable, but only three - wide receiver Justin Gage (rib), end Israel Idonije (ankle) and tight end Gabriel Reid (back) - missed practice. Running back Cedric Benson (shoulder) practiced for the first time since early in training camp and has a chance to play.

Among the others listed on the report were: end Alex Brown (shoulder), receiver Mark Bradley (hip) and safety Mike Brown (Achilles').

Kiwon
09-07-2006, 06:43 AM
I'd welcome Koren Robinson as well. This almost certainly is his last chance to stay sober and make some money as a pro player. He'd be motivated to perform and since the Packers front office already has a relationship with him they would have an inside track to keep him accountable.

The Packers need players and this guy needs a job. If the price is right, sign him, and play him until his punishment is meted out by the NFL and the courts.