PDA

View Full Version : Who's Your Favorite? 2017 Draft

Smidgeon
05-02-2017, 02:50 PM
Okay. The picks have been made, and we've been grousing about who we didn't get since Thursday. Now's the chance to identify which draftee you are most looking forward to seeing play.

For me, I'm choosing Aaron Jones and Kevin King. And Josh Jones, I guess. But his is more for the size/speed as the (very) few clips I've seen don't seem special.

Whereas Aaron Jones is that scat back we've all been craving and Kevin King's combine numbers were otherworldly. So those two are the salivating picks for me.

QBME
05-02-2017, 03:54 PM
Aaron Jones, RB, UTEP, 5th Round Compensatory Pick - fast, can run, catch and block. Hope he is like Bear's last year 5th rounder Jordan Howard.

One caveat - in the film I've seen, he wears a play flip chart on his forearm, which is a little worrisome.

gbgary
05-02-2017, 04:26 PM
no favorites but i'm most interested in seeing the two 2nd rounders king and jones...and williams the rb.

Cheesehead Craig
05-02-2017, 05:39 PM
Biegel. He was the "free" pick.

RashanGary
05-02-2017, 06:10 PM
Most likely to be a star - King. He's solid now with potential to be a star player
Most interesting - Josh Jones. Could be a game changer at ILB with that speed
Most likely to make impact year 1 - Jamaal Williams - downhill runner, great vision, good feet
Most interesting late round pick - Aaron Jones. Superstar athletic traits. We'll see

Joemailman
05-02-2017, 06:21 PM
Montravius Adams. I like rooting for the underdog. Any defensive lineman drafted by TT is an underdog.

Upnorth
05-02-2017, 06:24 PM
For me it's a toss up between Adams and biegel. i expect more out of biegel but love adams upside. if this draft is half as good as i hope it is we got a big upgrade to our d.

pbmax
05-02-2017, 06:36 PM
Unknown safety in the second round. Josh Jones, in three years I would like to serve crow to Thompson doubters.

texaspackerbacker
05-02-2017, 06:45 PM
The more I read, the more I like this draft. If it's Ted's last, he is going out in a blaze of glory - at least there seems like a strong chance of that.

I didn't realize Aaron Jones was considered a scatback. I was all in for Christine Michael; If A. Jones is a breakaway runner like that as a change of pace threat, he could rise to the top in a hurry. As it is, though, I'll take the easy way and go with Kevin King. The top pick should be the best prospect, but I haven't been this excited about a Packer Corner since Tim Lewis.

Josh Jones, Biegel, Yancey, Williams, Adams, etc. all stand out as better than most of the picks of the last few years.

wist43
05-02-2017, 07:08 PM
All in all it's a good draft I think...

I think King and jamaal Williams will be players. Have high hopes for Yancy.

Concerned about Josh Jones lack of physicality in getting off blocks, i.e. he plays like a corner; concerned about Adams (his motor and playing tall); and concerned about Beigel being a one-speed player who is around the pile more than he is the cause of the pile.

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2017, 08:02 PM
Jamaal Williams and King.

Bretsky
05-02-2017, 09:32 PM
Biegel

mission
05-02-2017, 09:33 PM
King
For me it was the pick that just made so much sense that there was "noooo way Ted would draft him". So tall, so fast, so long... he's the opposite of the 'Packer CB'. Pleasantly surprised when his name was called. With more coaching this guy could be a big-time, eraser type shutdown corner against the big/strong/fast WR mold.

Really excited about a lot of these guys though.. Williams seems to have great vision, J.Jones another Buchanan type with less stick/more cover, A.Jones is a spark plug, Biegel could be a freak, Dupree seems to be completely untapped potential, Yancey another Turtleneck, Kofi could turn out to diamond in the rough/athletic freak,Mays a Fat Eddie with less balance...

Not personally excited about Adams but I've just learned not to expect much from Ted's DL picks. Hope to be surprised.

call_me_ishmael
05-02-2017, 10:25 PM
I think King is the most likely to be a bust. Does anyone think Washington of all schools had three premier talents in their secondary? Seems unlikely.

I like the pick of Jones a lot purely on his athletic numbers. I've never seen him or a even highlight of him.

I like the pick from LSU. His highlights make him look like a baller.

I like the Biegel pick.

Brandon494
05-02-2017, 11:07 PM
King, A. Jones, Adams, and Dupre are guys Im excited about

Jamaal Williams will be the dud of this draft imo

gbgary
05-02-2017, 11:14 PM
I think King is the most likely to be a bust.

maybe only because he'll be a starter and have the highest expectations of this group. he'll also be given the most slack. depending on who you read for rankings he's one of the top 3 corners in the draft. after king, josh jones, and williams, i think the bust potential increases exponentially.

wthigoot
05-02-2017, 11:47 PM
Good to see another Purdue guy in Yancey since Neal is gone. What the Packers saw in him I would like to see come out; they seemed to like him more than other teams. Reminds me of when they drafted Nate Palmer a little early even when he didn't seem to have much other interest.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2700388-2017-nfl-draft-unheralded-prospects-opening-eyes-at-pro-days

Pro day stats not bad according to that link, somewhat like Montgomery. He's no running back but maybe could do some of the thing Montgomery was doing before converting to RB.

Unsure about Adams but would like to see him pan out.

vince
05-02-2017, 11:57 PM
Williams is my fave. He lives eats and breathes football, and seems to have more natural ability than physical traits. For whatever reason that's my kind of player. He idolizes Walter Payton and runs hills in Arizone like he did. He's more shifty than Starks with a similar burst and better hands so I think he can be better than Starks ever was.

I also like Aa. Jones as a third down threat. GB hasn't really had a guy like that, or at least haven't taken advantage of one in the passing game. He could be that guy finally - if they're willing to use him like that... Although Monty is a huge threat out of the backfield too but that hasn't materialized yet either.

bobblehead
05-03-2017, 12:04 AM
Gotta go Kofi Amichia. Why? Because I have absolutely no clue who the hell he is. No one does. The ESPN draftniks who spend way too much time studying this shit looked stumped. I have to believe someone from scouting stumbled on to him sort of like Brad Delouiso back in the day. Or maybe it was Eastwoods daughter from Trouble With The Curve.

This guy is going to report to camp at 315, grab Langs old spot and we will all be praising Teddy ballgame for picking Kofi (who we all wanted all along...honest)

vince
05-03-2017, 12:09 AM
Knowing The Homer Bretsky likes Biegel makes me concerned about his long-term health :-)

I agree with what wist says, although I think J. Jones has all the tools and will have a good career as he develops over the next couple years and outgrows some of his immaturity as a player that you're talking about wist. Shedding/avoiding blocks, timing, control, etc. is all coachable stuff.

wthigoot
05-03-2017, 12:20 AM
Gotta go Kofi Amichia. Why? Because I have absolutely no clue who the hell he is. No one does. The ESPN draftniks who spend way too much time studying this shit looked stumped. I have to believe someone from scouting stumbled on to him sort of like Brad Delouiso back in the day. Or maybe it was Eastwoods daughter from Trouble With The Curve.

This guy is going to report to camp at 315, grab Langs old spot and we will all be praising Teddy ballgame for picking Kofi (who we all wanted all along...honest)

lol good points, and I had already forgotten he was drafted. Guess he should have gotten arrested so we would know who he was. The J. Evans signing should give him some time to develop, hope maybe he can back up center too.

vince
05-03-2017, 01:19 AM

lol I'm all in with Kofi. Little known fact - he's a Ghanan prince I think....

This is where I'm supposed to say, 'Fits a need. Fills a void. Good upside. That means I finally hit one who I don't know. I did not write him up.... He's a big hulking looking guy....

Good value. Tough. Competitive. Smart. All that stuff I'm supposed to say when I don't have a clue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqgCKRfvJXw

NFL.com has the complete breakdown. (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/kofi-amichia?id=2558855)

Leave it to Ted to find the one guy in the draft nobody knows. How can he not be great?

Vincenzo
05-03-2017, 04:29 AM
Loving the looks of Josh Jones, Safety, North Carolina State. Just a hunch, but something is telling me he's gonna be something special.

Fritz
05-03-2017, 06:03 AM
Adams. Because TT's defensive line picks need all the help they can get.

Least excited about Biegel. His highlight film seems to feature him running up to the pile after the play is over.

bobblehead
05-03-2017, 08:41 AM
Loving the looks of Josh Jones, Safety, North Carolina State. Just a hunch, but something is telling me he's gonna be something special.

Because everybody loves speed/size. I like football players. Not sold on the Ghostpepper. Pb says he needs a spicy name so I hereby dub thee Josh "the ghostpepper" Jones.

3irty1
05-03-2017, 10:37 AM
I love the Josh Jones, Adams, Williams, and Beigel picks. Favorite is probably J. Jones. He seems built for today's NFL and a swiss army athlete in the back of our Defense sounds awesome. Adams seemed like the biggest steal of the draft. Lots of talent there at an impact position. Williams seems perfectly tailored for what MM likes to do with RBs. Beigel will be fun to watch. I think you've got to give everybody a chance to succeed at OLB who has any potential there but its sweet to have a guy who can play inside as a plan B. They say the whole defense takes on the character of the middle linebacker; if that's the case we could do worse than Biegel.

King seems boom or bust to me so I'm trying to temper expectations. A potential big press corner with wheels is clearly worth taking a shot on. If he succeeds the defense will be transformed.

Smidgeon
05-03-2017, 11:01 AM
Because everybody loves speed/size. I like football players. Not sold on the Ghostpepper. Pb says he needs a spicy name so I hereby dub thee Josh "the ghostpepper" Jones.

Take out "the". Make it just Josh "Ghostpepper" Jones.

MadScientist
05-03-2017, 12:28 PM
My favorite will be whoever steps up and plays great. I'm hoping it is a battle between King and Jones, because that will really help the defense.

mission
05-03-2017, 01:47 PM
I think King is the most likely to be a bust. Does anyone think Washington of all schools had three premier talents in their secondary? Seems unlikely.

How else could Washington -- WASHINGTON!? -- make it into the final four last year? When is the last time they've even been in the conversation? Their defense was insane.
Also probably why they got rolled up on... you don't need that many secondary guys against Alabama. Starts up front. Made a big difference in the Pac 12 though.

SMBASS
05-03-2017, 02:37 PM
My surprise pick for actual impact/contributions is RB Aaron Jones. I'm still beating the Perine dead horse and wish we would have taken him but I just have a feeling that this kid is going to surprise us. I especially like his pass catching abilities to go along with the wiggle that he brings to the position.

gbgary
05-03-2017, 03:42 PM
My surprise pick for actual impact/contributions is RB Aaron Jones. I'm still beating the Perine dead horse and wish we would have taken him but I just have a feeling that this kid is going to surprise us. I especially like his pass catching abilities to go along with the wiggle that he brings to the position.

the williams kid (from the tape i saw lol) plays bigger than he really is. very tenacious.

pbmax
05-03-2017, 05:39 PM

3rd Down Back you say?

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo351/donkeymonkey_01/homer-drool.gif

pbmax
05-03-2017, 05:40 PM

I think this could work if we shorter it to Ghost.

What do you think?

Just edit his wikipedia page to put in the full ghost pepper explanation in.

bobblehead
05-03-2017, 06:19 PM

Done. And since we are tagging guys early, Vince nicknamed my guy. Its "Prince" Kofi

bobblehead
05-03-2017, 06:21 PM
I think this could work if we shorter it to Ghost.

What do you think?

Just edit his wikipedia page to put in the full ghost pepper explanation in.

Nah...you wanta spicy, you getta the spicy.

Joemailman
05-03-2017, 06:40 PM
Pickup Truck Williams. Tampa Bay had Cadillac Williams, but this is Wisconsin.

pbmax
05-03-2017, 06:44 PM
Pickup Truck Williams. Tampa Bay had Cadillac Williams, but this is Wisconsin.

After that Ty Dunne piece about his workout habits, should be 'Hill' Williams.

Brandon494
05-03-2017, 09:51 PM
the williams kid (from the tape i saw lol) plays bigger than he really is. very tenacious.

Don't know what tapes you were comparing the players with haha

Pugger
05-04-2017, 07:36 AM

You aren't the first person to say this about Jones.

Zool
05-04-2017, 08:08 AM

Going with the hot pepper theme, being that Jones played at NC State, can't we call him The Carolina Reaper?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Reaper

pbmax
05-04-2017, 08:49 AM
Frankensafety just doesn't have the same ring as Frankenbacker.

Fritz
05-04-2017, 10:39 AM
You must be Joshin'.

pbmax
05-04-2017, 09:29 PM
Joker Jones.

bobblehead
05-05-2017, 08:29 AM
GHOSTPEPPER!!!

Stop messing with my nicknames.

Bretsky
05-20-2017, 12:15 AM
[QUOTE=vince;927767]Knowing The Homer Bretsky likes Biegel makes me concerned about his long-term health :-)

OUCH..............AND A FOOT SURGERY NOW

I HOPE YOU ARE NOT RGHT VINCE

Zool
05-22-2017, 09:40 AM
GHOSTPEPPER!!!

Stop messing with my nicknames.

But the Carolina Reaper is a hotter pepper and he played at NCState.

BZnDallas
05-22-2017, 09:50 PM
6 minute abs?

Joemailman
11-14-2018, 06:08 PM
Biegel

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/laughing-smiley-face.gif

call_me_ishmael
11-14-2018, 08:13 PM

I like the pick of Jones a lot purely on his athletic numbers. I've never seen him or a even highlight of him.

I like the pick from LSU. His highlights make him look like a baller.

I like the Biegel pick.

Nailed the first one, missed on the latter. The dude from LSU is really good in highlights though. I wonder what happened to that dude. Biegel sucks.

Kudos to those who called Aaron Jones. I thought he'd be a different type of player than he is. More of a receiving type.

Joemailman
11-14-2018, 08:29 PM
I don't see King as a bust at all. Of course, he needs to shake the injury bug if he wants to have much of a career. He played Safety at Washington before moving to corner, so he could get moved there.

Bretsky
11-14-2018, 08:40 PM
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/laughing-smiley-face.gif

You have too much time on your hands :)))

The real answer I should have given was TJ Watt but since ThanksTed drafted a Badger I selected him. I was a fan of Beigel and enjoyed playing Devils advocate to Wist, who constantly said he would suck....but was right

run pMc
11-15-2018, 12:12 PM
I don't see King as a bust at all. Of course, he needs to shake the injury bug if he wants to have much of a career. He played Safety at Washington before moving to corner, so he could get moved there.

King's not a bust, not yet. He's already better than Quentin Rollins, Brian Brohm, or Pat Lee.
When healthy, he's a starting caliber CB. Trouble is, he's got a lean body type that seems to make him more susceptible to injuries on the field. I don't think he will ever be healthy for a full season, so they need to continue to find and develop CBs. I do think he's good enough to keep on the roster and play out his contract.

I wonder about him playing at FS instead of Tramon. Maybe he transitions to the centerfielder role in the offseason. I could see that. He's a willing tackler, but again, I wonder about his durability. They'd need to replace him at CB in that case.

hoosier
11-15-2018, 12:31 PM
Montravius Adams. I like rooting for the underdog. Any defensive lineman drafted by TT is an underdog.

I'm with Joe and Craig: Adams and Biegel. King is just ok but he will be a healthy mainstay ok cover guy in the secondary for the next decade. Jones was a wasted pick.

pbmax
11-15-2018, 02:10 PM
Frankensafety just doesn't have the same ring as Frankenbacker.

Man, you name anyone Franken...... and its a quick ticket out of town.

Frankenbäcker was let go.

Frankensafety was benched for the first half of the season.

Frankencorner (Breeland) is banged up.

Frankencoach better get his act together.

gbgary
11-15-2018, 03:20 PM
as of now it looks like it's AJ, Williams, King, Josh Jones, Adams, in order importance/production/confidence. King should be 2nd but he can't stay healthy.

George Cumby
11-15-2018, 09:40 PM
Kyler Fackrell?

bobblehead
11-15-2018, 11:59 PM
Man, you name anyone Franken...... and its a quick ticket out of town.

I hereby dub thee FrankenFatMike or FrankenCarthy...or FrankenM3...ur pick just get him that ticket...one way.

gbgary
11-16-2018, 06:15 PM
Kyler Fackrell?

he was in the 2016 draft.

George Cumby
11-16-2018, 07:11 PM
he was in the 2016 draft.

That was the joke.