PDA

View Full Version : What is one thing that could happen that would make you optimistic about this year?

Smidgeon
05-30-2017, 11:09 AM
I have two things and an honorable mention I'd like to see, with either of the two being things I would call promising:

Honorable Mention: Damarius Randall plays like his rookie year or better, showing the post-injury year rebound that Davante Adams showed.

1. Kenny Clark consistently putting on displays in training camp, showing an improvement after his playoffs performance.

2. Kevin King flashing several times in training camp going up against Jordy Nelson and Davante. He's going to be covering big and tall receivers, and these two will be good tests. If he can hold his own and win a fair share, I think our DBs will be a strength.

gbgary
05-30-2017, 11:43 AM
other than no serious/extended injuries to key people...an emergence of a better than average pass rush.

Zool
05-30-2017, 12:27 PM
Monty getting more and more comfortable lining up behind the line. Being a true dual threat RB.
Clark making the proverbial 2nd year jump and actually commanding double teams often.
Adams taking another step forward making Cobb's salary a question next year.
Anyone on D covering a TE on crossing routes. Seriously, anyone.

red
05-30-2017, 01:53 PM
getting a defensive coordinator that can produce an above shitty defense in this millennia

Radagast
05-30-2017, 02:26 PM
getting a defensive coordinator that can produce an above shitty defense in this millennia

Entering his 45th coaching season, Dom Capers is not to blame for GB's defensive failures , it has been the poor personal he has had to work with. However as this thread seeks potential positives for the Packers looking forward , I give you Kevin King and Josh Jones . Vince Biegel (R-LB) may just emerge into the spotlight provided he can get/stay healthy .

GB's offense is not a great concern, DEFENSE is the KEY to the Packer's future success !

Radagast
05-30-2017, 02:27 PM

Entering his 45th coaching season, Dom Capers is not to blame for GB's defensive failures , it has been the poor personal he has had to work with. However as this thread seeks potential positives for the Packers looking forward , I give you Kevin King and Josh Jones . Vince Biegel (R-LB) may just emerge into the spotlight provided he can get/stay healthy .

GB's offense is not a great concern, DEFENSE is the KEY to the Packer's future success !

pbmax
05-30-2017, 02:40 PM
1. King starting
2. Clark starting and playing good run D and some pass rush
3. Randall regaining form
4. Heathy OLBs, Fackrell and Elliot stepping up
4. Rollins regaining form

Patler
05-30-2017, 02:48 PM
I don't need anything to happen to be optimistic. I already am optimistic for these reasons:

1. They have AR and are always at least in the hunt, so if a few things fall right it can always happen.
2. The big need was CB, and they have opportunities galore to be better: Randall and Rollins to bounce back; King and House to make a difference; Gunther, Hawkins or Waters to progress; one of the presently unknowns to be the next Shields and come out of no where. They don't need all of those thing to happen. They don't need any to happen in a big way. They just need two to happen in a modest way and they will be better. It won't take a lot to be better. They will be better, in part because they have so many opportunities to be better and in part because they can hardly be worse.
3. The new TE group should make a huge difference for the offense. Kendricks alone would have been an improvement. Bennett is a big step beyond that. MM has never had a top receiving TE and top blocking TE at the same time, let alone rolled up in one player like Bennett. To be fair, Kendricks alone might have been a better all around combination TE than MM has ever had, if the evaluations on him are accurate. This should open up the offense perhaps to as good as we have seen under MM.
4. Clark started to come around last year. Lowry (late in the season) and Fackrell (earlier, before injury) each flashed some when given opportunities and healthy. Not predicting great things, but any or all could be pleasant surprises. Again, not looking for pro bowlers, just progression of one or more. Jean Francois will be a steadying influence. Guion will be history.
5. Jones will be given a limited role, but as the season moves on will make a big impact as an almost perfect athlete for the "new" NFL middle linebackers.
6. Nice group of RBs to pick from, at least to start.

Of those things, only Jones is a flat-out guess. All the others are just the natural state of things. Some will happen, some will not. For the most part for the uncertain ones, it doesn't matter which happen and which don't.

I think the team is quite well set up, overall, to be a better team than last year, even if weaker in one or two areas than last year.

Patler
05-30-2017, 03:03 PM

I will admit, I was hoping he might retire; because I came to understand it is unlikely MM will clean house again on that side of the ball. But the funny thing is, Capers still has his moments, not for a season but for games here and there when he really does make it work. This could be a very young, very fast, very enthusiastic defense with strong safety play and some unusual/unique/interesting pieces in guys like King, Jones, Adams and Fackrell. If the offense can be as good as I think it can, the defense may only have to rise to the level of "not awful".

Zool
05-30-2017, 03:41 PM
If the offense can be as good as I think it can, the defense may only have to rise to the level of "not awful".

Look at this dreamer. Honestly though, just like 15th in the league scoring and yards. That doesn't seem too much to wish for

Harlan Huckleby
05-30-2017, 05:14 PM
Jordy or someone looking like a #1 WR. Not criticizing Jordy's progress last season, it's just every year is new.

Patler
05-30-2017, 06:10 PM
Look at this dreamer. Honestly though, just like 15th in the league scoring and yards. That doesn't seem too much to wish for

The way they might get to where the need to be is the way they have sometimes in the past, with a defense that gives up a lot of yards, but gets a lot of turnovers. Even last year Randall showed a sense for interceptions, until he was hobbled. Dix has a knack for it. Rollins did in college, and showed some sense for it in 2015, though seemed to get fooled more than anything last year. With Jones's speed and quickness, I could see him getting his share, and the tall CBs like King, Gunther and House always seem to have a few, even though Gunther did not last year.

If the Packers can win the interception battle by at least about 3:1, the defense might be OK even if it gets chased up and down the field a lot of the game.

wist43
05-30-2017, 08:04 PM
Dunderdummy is our DC; hence, there is no hope.

Since I own Jordy in a couple FF leagues... hope he has a big year:)

Tony Oday
05-30-2017, 11:42 PM
The player not to be named plays all 19 games.

Bub
05-31-2017, 07:09 AM
I think Clay staying healthy and returning to form would make a significant positive impact on this team.

texaspackerbacker
05-31-2017, 07:55 AM
1. King starting
2. Clark starting and playing good run D and some pass rush
3. Randall regaining form
4. Heathy OLBs, Fackrell and Elliot stepping up
4. Rollins regaining form

A lot of great words in this thread. This post and Patler's in particular.

One thing I'd really get fired up about, although I really don't expect it to happen would be Jeff Janis finally getting major reps at WR and playing up to his potential.

vince
05-31-2017, 08:30 AM
Top 20 pass defense will result in top 15 scoring defense while Monty and his rookie RB posse go all-out beast mode .

While the McCarthy-era Packers have always been among the best at getting leads and finishing wins, the upgrades at TE and what looks like the most complete and diverse backfield since Ahman Green, show promise to be even more effective moving chains and finishing games than ever.

Smidgeon
05-31-2017, 11:18 AM
Top 20 pass defense will result in top 15 scoring defense while Monty and his rookie RB posse go all-out beast mode .

While the McCarthy-era Packers have always been among the best at getting leads and finishing wins, the upgrades at TE and what looks like the most complete and diverse backfield since Ahman Green, show promise to be even more effective moving chains and finishing games than ever.

I would argue that Lacy's first or second year had a more complete backfield with Starks. This year we have Montgomery (who appears to be legit) and a bunch of unknowns. I want to see them play before anointing them.

Upnorth
05-31-2017, 02:03 PM
2. The big need was CB, and they have opportunities galore to be better: Randall and Rollins to bounce back; King and House to make a difference; Gunther, Hawkins or Waters to progress; one of the presently unknowns to be the next Shields and come out of no where. They don't need all of those thing to happen. They don't need any to happen in a big way. They just need two to happen in a modest way and they will be better. It won't take a lot to be better. They will be better, in part because they have so many opportunities to be better and in part because they can hardly be worse.

Does anyone else feel like finding secondary talent is one of TT's strenghts? The only thing he maybe better at drafting is the Oline.

pbmax
05-31-2017, 02:31 PM
Does anyone else feel like finding secondary talent is one of TT's strenghts? The only thing he maybe better at drafting is the Oline.

I agree about the secondary and O line.

Which is kinda funny. First, because the first six years, Thompson was derided over his efforts to shore up the O line after Wahle and Rivera signed elsewhere. Even Spitz and Colledge didn't cool that talk down, it took Bulaga to wipe that claim away.

Same with safety position both before and after Collins.

Ted's competencies seem to run in a cycle of public opinion. Funny how that works.

Patler
05-31-2017, 04:39 PM
He's not too shabby at finding WRs, either.

bobblehead
05-31-2017, 08:25 PM
If Prince Obi picked up NFL speed immediately and turned into another Thompson late round gem making us forget Lang. I love me a dominant OL, and I already miss the running game that Sitton and Lang helped provide. I want our OL to play so well everyone praises Thompson on find 3 great RB's at the end of the draft along with monte rushing for 1000 yards.

vince
06-01-2017, 11:08 AM
I would argue that Lacy's first or second year had a more complete backfield with Starks. This year we have Montgomery (who appears to be legit) and a bunch of unknowns. I want to see them play before anointing them.Agreed on seeing them play... I think the potential is there, and this happening "would make me optimistic about the year."

I personally wouldn't consider Lacy/Starks to have been much of a dual-threat with any consistency. Lacy's only year with any receiving success was 2014 (42 for 427 - 26.7 ypg). Since then he's been pretty much invisible in the passing game. Starks did OK in 2015 (392 yds receiving) but did virtually nothing before or since.

My hope (cause for optimism if it happens) is that the upgraded TE group can also impact the RB's both running and receiving...

RashanGary
06-01-2017, 05:05 PM
I'm feeling good about this.....

http://m.packers.com/news/article/spring-snaps-making-a-difference-for-kenny-clark-8a3533d0-cac3-49ab-9c47-2ec2fe098ee8

Joemailman
06-01-2017, 05:52 PM

http://m.packers.com/news/article/spring-snaps-making-a-difference-for-kenny-clark-8a3533d0-cac3-49ab-9c47-2ec2fe098ee8

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what his upside is. He was barely 20 years old when the Packers drafted him. Even though he's in his 2nd year, only 2 players on the roster are as young as he is.

MadScientist
06-02-2017, 10:59 AM

Considering the source, it's not too surprising that the piece reads like he'll be the next superstar. However there were a comments from Clark that are very encouraging. First when his playing time started dropping, he responded by working harder in practice, and second he worked hard in the off season to improve strength and explosiveness, and the results are showing.

wist43
06-02-2017, 12:05 PM
Considering the source, it's not too surprising that the piece reads like he'll be the next superstar. However there were a comments from Clark that are very encouraging. First when his playing time started dropping, he responded by working harder in practice, and second he worked hard in the off season to improve strength and explosiveness, and the results are showing.

He simply didn't show much all season. Think he was way overdrafted, and has a limited ceiling.

I'm more hopeful for Lowry.

Zool
06-02-2017, 01:42 PM
He simply didn't show much all season. Think he was way overdrafted, and has a limited ceiling.

I'm more hopeful for Lowry.

He's 20 so projecting his ceiling is pretty tough IMO. He did underwhelm last year so probably was over drafted, but the big fatties get better at 25.

Smidgeon
06-02-2017, 05:12 PM
He's 20 so projecting his ceiling is pretty tough IMO. He did underwhelm last year so probably was over drafted, but the big fatties get better at 25.

His playoff performance was above average. That's saying something for a rookie d-lineman.

Joemailman
06-02-2017, 07:31 PM
His playoff performance was above average. That's saying something for a rookie d-lineman.

Yep. The rookie year is all about getting better. Not that many rookies are great from Week 1. Especially Defensive tackles, who have a huge adjustment to make.

vince
06-02-2017, 11:33 PM
Yep. The rookie year is all about getting better. Not that many rookies are great from Week 1. Especially Defensive tackles, who have a huge adjustment to make.
and are 20 year old underclassmen when drafted. Clark's still a baby in the NFL trenches.

I shouldn't be surprised, but wist, how can you not see a high ceiling for Clark? Quick, agile, active, strong, young, still learning technique... a wrestler who can move and is still figuring out how to use his quickness and strength to gain leverage inside - and is still maturing, learning and growing.... What doesn't he have that limits his ceiling, other than a position not suited to statistical achievement? In terms of what he's asked to do and his willingness to do that effectively, that kid's got high ceiling written all over him. In terms of raw ability, Daniels doesn't have a thing on him. He appears to have a pretty damn good work ethic too, which is promising.

I don't remember Ol' Cletidus ever being accused of "killing it in the weight room" after his rookie year.... and look at how great he was...

Pugger
06-03-2017, 08:44 AM
If this defense can be just average I like our chances. Our offense should give CDs nightmares this year. We made it to the NFCC game with that terrible defense last year.

RashanGary
06-05-2017, 08:27 PM
I'm excited for

Kenny Clark. Word is, he's come back a beast!
Damarious Randall - gonna have that davante Adams bounce back from health year
Davante Adams - gonna be a beast!
Marty Bennett - gonna help the run/pass balance
Jordy - full year after injury. Think this will be his last monster year
Montgomery - looks big!!!! He's a running back now
Brice - showed promise as a rookie. Should be improved!

I'm also excited to see what the rookie batch brings.

Clark might be a star tho! I'm getting a really good feeling about his chances of breaking out!

You get playmaker years out of
Rodgers
Nelson
Adams
Daniels
Clark
Mathews
Perry
Clinton dix
And maybe Randall or king or that rookie lb who runs 4.4...... could be that year!

Rutnstrut
06-05-2017, 11:04 PM
Agreed on seeing them play... I think the potential is there, and this happening "would make me optimistic about the year."

I personally wouldn't consider Lacy/Starks to have been much of a dual-threat with any consistency. Lacy's only year with any receiving success was 2014 (42 for 427 - 26.7 ypg). Since then he's been pretty much invisible in the passing game. Starks did OK in 2015 (392 yds receiving) but did virtually nothing before or since.

My hope (cause for optimism if it happens) is that the upgraded TE group can also impact the RB's both running and receiving...

It doesn't matter how good of RB's they have. Stubby will refuse to use them anyway.

vince
06-06-2017, 11:41 AM
It's one thing to criticize when it's warranted but that's just ridiculous IMO.

Here's the Packers' point production and league rank over the last decade under McCarthy. You want to criticize him for not using RB's enough?

Yr. .. Pts. .. Rank
2007 .. 435 .. 4
2008 .. 419 .. 5
2009 .. 461 .. 3
2010 .. 388 .. 10
2011 .. 560 .. 1
2012 .. 433 .. 5
2013 .. 417 .. 8
2014 .. 486 .. 1
2015 .. 368 .. 15
2016 .. 432 .. 4

Avg. .. 439.9 .. 5.6

That's as consistently elite as it gets. There's likely one team in the league who can outperform that decade of production. How exactly has McCarthy's utilization of RB's hurt the team?

Packer RB touches generally go up when the team is winning/controlling/finishing games - not vice versa - which is why I think RB production is cause for optimism. That doesn't mean they should be running the ball more early in games. Running more (and effectively) and/or controlling the clock with short passes to backs throughout, but particularly late in games is also the sign of defensive and passing game success I'm hoping to see.

Joemailman
06-06-2017, 08:01 PM
Packers usually are in the middle of the pack as far as rushing attempts per game are concerned. They ran the ball less last year, but I think that can be attributed to the injury situation at running back, and perhaps to the Packers being behind more than usual. It wouldn't make any sense for a team with Aaron Rogers to lead the NFL in rushing attempts. Going back to 2015, the Packers finished 13th in rushing attempts. This was higher than Atlanta (16th) (Matt Ryan), New Orleans (20th) (Drew Brees) or New England (25th) (Tom Brady).

With better health and depth at the RB position this year, and better blocking from the TE position, I would look for the Packers to get to closer to their 2015 numbers in rushing attempts.

Zool
06-06-2017, 09:06 PM
If only Belicheck would commit to the run more, the Patriots might win some games.

texaspackerbacker
06-06-2017, 09:55 PM
If only Belicheck would commit to the run more, the Patriots might win some games.

Sometimes - make that rarely - even I can appreciate your sarcasm.

Cleft Crusty
06-07-2017, 09:20 AM
It doesn't matter how good of RB's they have. Stubby will refuse to use them anyway.

You nag more than my wife when I leave my underwear in the bathroom sink.

Upnorth
06-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Bitching about rb utilization on this team shows how good our O is imo.

I think what gives me cause for optimism is that for the first time since Raji second year I am excited to see our dl. Clark came up big in the last 6 games last year. I think he will be one of the motors on d this year.

Joemailman
06-07-2017, 05:45 PM
Bitching about rb utilization on this team shows how good our O is imo.

I think what gives me cause for optimism is that for the first time since Raji second year I am excited to see our dl. Clark came up big in the last 6 games last year. I think he will be one of the motors on d this year.

I like the DL too. Daniels and Clark should be studs. Lowry surprised me last year. If he makes the 2nd year jump they hope for, he could be pretty good. Francois is a solid lunch pail type guy. Brian Price split time last year bettween the roster and the practice squad. He'll get a chance to show what he can do during Guion's suspension.

vince
06-10-2017, 11:07 AM
I like the DL too. Daniels and Clark should be studs. Lowry surprised me last year. If he makes the 2nd year jump they hope for, he could be pretty good. Francois is a solid lunch pail type guy. Brian Price split time last year bettween the roster and the practice squad. He'll get a chance to show what he can do during Guion's suspension.
This group seems to have it all this year - youth and experience, talent and depth, gap penetrators and block eaters, pass rushers and pocket collapsers...

3-Down Core (1,3,5 Techs)
76 Daniels, Mike DT 6-0 310 27 6 Iowa
97 Clark, Kenny DT 6-3 314 21 2 UCLA
90 Adams, Montravius DT 6-4 305 21 R Auburn

Early-Down Base/Nickel Rotation (1,3 Techs)
95 Jean Francois, Ricky DT 6-3 313 30 9 LSU
96 Price, Brian DT 6-3 318 22 1 Texas-San Antonio

Passing-Down Nickel/Dime Rotation (3,5,7,9 Techs)
94 Lowry, Dean DE 6-6 296 22 2 Northwestern

In-Season Injury Insurance/Vet Depth
98 Guion, Letroy DT 6-4 322 29 10 Florida State
99 Ringo, Christian DT 6-1 298 25 2 Louisiana-Lafayette

Like you said Joe, it looks like the development of the two second-year guys - Clark and Lowry - could be huge. Price too has a lot of potential that could develop.

Adams may need a year yet, and with OK health from the rest of the group, he'll get it ... unless of course his play commands playing time. A year of learning and killing it in the weight room will likely help him a ton. If he can keep up with Daniels and Clark I think he'll be OK.

vince
06-10-2017, 01:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I5rayrqBQE

vince
06-10-2017, 01:43 PM
This makes me very optimistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5hVRADAf-U

Fritz
06-16-2017, 08:26 AM
A year of exceptionally good health on both sides of the ball would make me very optimistic.