PDA

View Full Version : TD'S and KICKOFF RETURNS

Radagast
06-06-2017, 12:37 AM
Who remembers GB's last TD on a Kickoff Return ?

Could GB have a special Kick/Punt Return man waiting to shine forth ?

Who is GB's 2017 GUNNER ?

Patler
06-06-2017, 08:11 AM
Who remembers GB's last TD on a Kickoff Return ?

Cobb as a rookie? That's the last I remember, but maybe because it was sort of memorable, being his first game. Made me interested in what he might provide.

Who is GB's 2017 GUNNER ?

I'm guessing Janis and ????. Won't be Goodson to start; I doubt he will be ready at the start of the season. Probably on PUP, at best. House was a good gunner when he was in GB before, but if he is starting, he won't be there now. Jones or Brice could be good candidates.

Teamcheez1
06-06-2017, 08:21 AM
I don't think Janis or Goodson will be on this club when the season starts. It will have to be Cobb or someone else.

ThunderDan
06-06-2017, 08:27 AM
It will be Trevor Davis.

texaspackerbacker
06-06-2017, 08:46 AM
If they take Trevor Davis over Janis either as a special teamer or a WR, there's really something wrong.

Janis for both spots.

Patler
06-06-2017, 10:02 AM
It will be Trevor Davis.

As gunner, or are you referring to returns? I can see, almost expect Davis to return both kickoffs and punts. I don't see him as a gunner, unless he is more physical than he showed last year.

ThunderDan
06-06-2017, 10:43 AM
As gunner, or are you referring to returns? I can see, almost expect Davis to return both kickoffs and punts. I don't see him as a gunner, unless he is more physical than he showed last year.

As returner.

RashanGary
06-06-2017, 11:24 AM
I see Nelson and Adams as our 1 and 2 WRs. I think Cobb could do returns.

Maxie the Taxi
06-06-2017, 11:37 AM
Dark Horse: Max McCaffrey http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/02/max-mccaffrey-flying-under-the-radar-in-packers-wr-competition/

SMBASS
06-06-2017, 02:16 PM
Cobb as a rookie? That's the last I remember, but maybe because it was sort of memorable, being his first game. Made me interested in what he might provide.

Cobb's is the last one I remember too Patler. It was a crazy return because it looked like he was going down and he kind of somersaulted over the back of another player and stayed upright. It was the first game of the season in 2011 against the Saints and the 108 yd. return tied the NFL record.

Joemailman
06-06-2017, 07:42 PM
Cobb's is the last one I remember too Patler. It was a crazy return because it looked like he was going down and he kind of somersaulted over the back of another player and stayed upright. It was the first game of the season in 2011 against the Saints and the 108 yd. return tied the NFL record.

John Kuhn with the save.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYfm-2f_XBw

Cleft Crusty
06-09-2017, 08:39 AM
Pat Lee (#22) with the 4.41 speed

KYPack
06-09-2017, 02:51 PM
The NFL blocked the vid already?

Wish they'd put their energy towards some good use instead of taking down vids of old kick returns.

pbmax
06-09-2017, 08:20 PM

Wish they'd put their energy towards some good use instead of taking down vids of old kick returns.

Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYfm-2f_XBw&feature=player_embedded

Fritz
06-16-2017, 08:27 AM

I think "protect the shield" is a euphemism for "short-sighted selfishness" on the part of the owners.

Radagast
07-01-2017, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the post. IMO , Trevor Davis returning Kicks/Punts .

I'm still not clear about GB's #1 Gunner . Who was it last season and will it be the same in 2017 ?

:pack:

texaspackerbacker
07-01-2017, 08:28 PM
Janis was clearly the best gunner. Janis also did better as a kick returner than Davis. If anybody among the wide receivers is left out now with the quality rookies, it should be Davis IMO, as he hasn't shown much. I've always said, give Janis more opportunities. Gunner, returner, receiver in preseason, he's done the job.

Fritz
07-03-2017, 09:32 AM
This clearly will be a big, big training camp for both Janis and Davis. I do think Janis is what he is - no more "he's got so much potential." He's like Bill Schroeder but built better. Janis can make a career as a gunner and maybe as a returner, and just be counted as a wide receiver because the NFL just doesn't list a player's position as "ST."

Davis we know less about. We do know he needs to put on some muscle and he needs to run good routes and catch everything, or he'll be applying for a job at one of Ricky Jean Francois's Dunkin' Donuts.

texaspackerbacker
07-03-2017, 01:25 PM
What has Davis EVER shown under game conditions? Janis, in addition to excellence on special teams, has done somewhere between good and spectacularly well whenever he has had a chance as WR, both preseason and regular season. He, inexplicably, just hasn't had many chances. I'd bet the house that if Janis ever does get a full chance - if not starter, a lot of plays in the rotation - with the Packers or (REGRETTABLY) with some other team, he will be a star in this league. It will be a God damned shame if it is with some other team.

pbmax
07-03-2017, 03:18 PM
What has Davis EVER shown under game conditions? Janis, in addition to excellence on special teams, has done somewhere between good and spectacularly well whenever he has had a chance as WR, both preseason and regular season. He, inexplicably, just hasn't had many chances. I'd bet the house that if Janis ever does get a full chance - if not starter, a lot of plays in the rotation - with the Packers or (REGRETTABLY) with some other team, he will be a star in this league. It will be a God damned shame if it is with some other team.

Its not inexplicable. He doesn't know how to run or time routes. He is not precise. And the QB and the coach do not trust him.

His best two plays, other than drawing interference on Go routes, are hail mary's for which he was covered pretty well.

He breaks off his own routes and attempts to catch balls thrown to other receivers. That looks promising as a #6 WR or in the 4th quarter of a preseason game, but doesn't work as a stater.

Two years ago, during WR armageddon and great offensive drought, he ran a slant route from the slot and faced a ILB in his way. His attention was distracted by the Backer, he ran into him and got knocked on his ass for his trouble. He had ZERO idea how to adjust the route and zero idea how to draw contact in such a way as to get a flag called on the ILB.

I would use him only inside the 20 on specially designed plays because of his height and hops.

pbmax
07-03-2017, 03:19 PM
This clearly will be a big, big training camp for both Janis and Davis. I do think Janis is what he is - no more "he's got so much potential." He's like Bill Schroeder but built better. Janis can make a career as a gunner and maybe as a returner, and just be counted as a wide receiver because the NFL just doesn't list a player's position as "ST."

Davis we know less about. We do know he needs to put on some muscle and he needs to run good routes and catch everything, or he'll be applying for a job at one of Ricky Jean Francois's Dunkin' Donuts.

Schroeder, for al his faults, was fundamentally a better WR.

Patler
07-03-2017, 04:21 PM
Schroeder, for al his faults, was fundamentally a better WR.

Schroeder did absolutely nothing his first four years after being drafted, just 2 receptions for 15 yards. Even his fifth year was nothing special (31/452). I think it is a bit premature saying he was fundamentally better than either Janis or Davis. Both Janis and Davis have produced more in 3 years and one year, respectively, than Schroeder did in 4 years.

I'm not sure Schroeder was ever anymore reliable than Janis. He was lucky to play with Favre, who wasn't all that disciplined himself, yet still showed his frustrations with Schroeder even when Schroeder was putting up good stats.

pbmax
07-03-2017, 05:47 PM
Schroeder did absolutely nothing his first four years after being drafted, just 2 receptions for 15 yards. Even his fifth year was nothing special (31/452). I think it is a bit premature saying he was fundamentally better than either Janis or Davis. Both Janis and Davis have produced more in 3 years and one year, respectively, than Schroeder did in 4 years.

I'm not sure Schroeder was ever anymore reliable than Janis. He was lucky to play with Favre, who wasn't all that disciplined himself, yet still showed his frustrations with Schroeder even when Schroeder was putting up good stats.

Billy Schroeder was with the packers in 94 (Practice Squad), Patriots in 95, broken foot-perhaps during a lost 1996, then Rhein Fire in 97 before making the '97 Packers active roster. That year he appeared in 15 games on special teams. In 98 he had the "breakout season" to which you refer. An article on him mentions he was active for 2 playoff games after Sharpe's injury. So 5 year career, 4 years on rosters, 17 games and 33 catches.

Janis approaches Year 4, and has appeared in 35 games after 3 full years on a roster. Despite being a better special teams player immediately, he has 17 catches so far. Double the number of active games, half the production so far.

Still, he is young and is/was raw. He might still elevate his game. But he seems to be developing slower than Schroeder.

I am not condemning Davis to a fate worse than Schroeder, he is still within the normal 3 year WR window.

Patler
07-03-2017, 06:44 PM
Simple fact was Schroeder couldn't even make a roster for years. He was as big of a disaster in knowing where to be and what to do as Janis ever has been, maybe even more. Not only that, he was "shy" regarding contact, something Janis never has been.

pbmax
07-04-2017, 02:10 PM
Simple fact was Schroeder couldn't even make a roster for years. He was as big of a disaster in knowing where to be and what to do as Janis ever has been, maybe even more. Not only that, he was "shy" regarding contact, something Janis never has been.

Janis is just dumbfounded by contact unless its a jump ball. I would take him first in any pickup football game in the world after Rodgers. But he doesn't have an NFL receiver skill set.

I do think he has a role he could play as a designated Go route guy and hope for a penalty. I could also imagine him on the goal line for jump balls or timing routes. but if he has to fight for position off the line, he looks lost.

Patler
07-04-2017, 10:30 PM
Janis is just dumbfounded by contact unless its a jump ball. I would take him first in any pickup football game in the world after Rodgers. But he doesn't have an NFL receiver skill set.

I do think he has a role he could play as a designated Go route guy and hope for a penalty. I could also imagine him on the goal line for jump balls or timing routes. but if he has to fight for position off the line, he looks lost.

Schroeder really never did either. If memory serves, he mostly ran away from contact for much of his career, no matter what the QB expected of him, and was responsible for his fair share of Favre's miscues because of it. They let Schroeder run a lot of go routes because of that.