PDA

View Full Version : Vikes Zimmer Not Cleared to Fly

pbmax
07-14-2017, 08:04 AM
Mike Zimmer had an eighth surgery on his eye earlier this year. He cannot yet fly in for camp as the gas bubble that helped position his retina for reattachment has not dissipated yet. If camp started next week, he would be driving from Kentucky to Minnesota.

Eye surgery in general is weird, as surgeons will use tools diverse as buckles/belts, lasers, gas bubbles and gravity to help heal the eye. One thing you should never do is look at You Tube videos of eye surgery. You will never go to the Ophthalmologist again.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/14/mike-zimmer-still-waiting-for-clearance-to-fly-after-eighth-eye-surgery/

hoosier
07-14-2017, 08:44 AM
Flying is one thing, but is he cleared to coach at altitude? A game in Denver might be rough on the old gas bubble.

mraynrand
07-14-2017, 08:48 AM
I've got a few gas bubbles this morning that haven't dissipated yet. Look out, co-workers!

pbmax
07-14-2017, 08:49 AM
Could he problematic. Know a guy with a detached retina and either partially as a result of the defect or of the procedure to correct, he had gas in his eyeball. Said it was like looking through the top of a fishtank. Or goggles half out of the pool.

Said it was a great leveling tool though!

swede
07-14-2017, 03:26 PM
I am as squeamish as anyone when it comes to entertaining gore. I can't watch Napoleon McCallum replays. I cringe at stories that involve a nail through the foot or an arm in the thresher.

So it is remarkable that I can report that I was fully conscious and fully aware as my ophthalmologist stuck a surgical instrument directly into my eye to suck out my old lens in a swirl of fluid that spun darkly under the surgical light. With a few tugs and prods he replaced the old lens with an artificial and decidedly less clouded one. Because I felt zero pain and zero anxiety (Oh to have a sack of those little joy pills to take the edge off) I can't summon any queasiness at all when I recount the story.

I am more than a little annoyed that I like the Viking coach. He seems like a great person. I hope he recovers the health of his sight, realizes where he is, and leaves for someplace less Vikingish.

hoosier
07-14-2017, 03:38 PM
Could he problematic. Know a guy with a detached retina and either partially as a result of the defect or of the procedure to correct, he had gas in his eyeball. Said it was like looking through the top of a fishtank. Or goggles half out of the pool.

Said it was a great leveling tool though!

You mean like beer goggles?

pbmax
07-15-2017, 03:22 PM
You mean like beer goggles?

In practice, this is precisely how it went.