PDA

View Full Version : PACKERS STILL HOPING SPRIGGS TRADE/DRAFT PICK WILL PAN OUT

Bretsky
08-21-2017, 07:38 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/baranczyk/2017/08/20/packers-still-waiting-signs-jason-spriggs-pick-pay-off/581329001/

call_me_ishmael
08-21-2017, 09:21 AM
Overall that is looking like a pretty bad draft.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2016-nfl-draft-packers/2016/5/2/11565254/2016-packers-draft-picks-complete-list-of-picks-and-trades

Brandon494
08-21-2017, 09:54 AM
Overall that is looking like a pretty bad draft.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2016-nfl-draft-packers/2016/5/2/11565254/2016-packers-draft-picks-complete-list-of-picks-and-trades.

Still early but yea missing on the 2nd and 3rd pick stings especially after trading up for Spriggs. At least it seems like we hit on two D linemen and Martinez still looking decent.

call_me_ishmael
08-21-2017, 10:02 AM
Has Kenny Clark really been a good player so far? I guess I viewed him as still TBD. I haven't been following the Packers super closely though.

gbgary
08-21-2017, 10:32 AM
Has Kenny Clark really been a good player so far? I guess I viewed him as still TBD. I haven't been following the Packers super closely though.

yeah. i think the coaches love the guy!

gbgary
08-21-2017, 10:36 AM

Still early but yea missing on the 2nd and 3rd pick stings especially after trading up for Spriggs. At least it seems like we hit on two D linemen and Martinez still looking decent.

this. another year or two will tell.

Smidgeon
08-21-2017, 11:24 AM

Pretty bold declaring it a bad draft then. ;)

In my opinion, Clark was worthy of a D1. He shows up against first string O-Lineman and consistently gets push.
Spriggs is already twice as good as Barclay every was pass protecting. I only got to watch the first half on game pass before falling asleep last night. One of his sacks was technique error, one depends on who missed the assignment (Spriggs, Hundley, etc). So I don't see him as bad as Sherrod or Barclay on the edge. So far, he seems to fit the bill as a second round draft pick--he still has work to do, but it's clear he has ability
Fackrell seems like a complete whiff. But a draft is only about 50/50 overall for any contribution.
Martinez isn't anything special, but he seems to belong in the NFL.
Lowry is definitely starter material. GB seems to do well finding lineman in the 4th.
Davis has speed and talent, both enough for the NFL, but he's just inconsistent enough. Needs to get over that hump. Could be this year. But WRs in McCarthy's system can take 3-4 years unless they're shifty slot receivers like Greg Jennings or Cobb.
Murphy sounds like a player by all accounts. He's apparently playing second string at RT, but I don't notice him during games. Sounds like he's consistent. And writers are suggested he try to back up the LT, so he's definitely doing well. Pretty good for a D6.

So with 4 definite hits (Clark, Martinez, Lowry, and Murphy) out of 7 (8 if you count Spriggs as 2), they're at the norm of 50% now. If Spriggs or Davis turn out, it's an above average draft. If Clark becomes really good (supposedly D-Line is supposed to take longer than this to develop), it's a great draft.

So far, it appears Clark and Lowry are the only ones with a shot to rise above and maybe become pro-bowl capable (Clark more than Lowry). So not a Rodgers/Collins draft, but not bad either.

bobblehead
08-21-2017, 11:46 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/baranczyk/2017/08/20/packers-still-waiting-signs-jason-spriggs-pick-pay-off/581329001/

I'll call him the next looks like tarzan plays like jane. Sherrod was a better tackle imo, and Murphy has outplayed him in the 2 preseason games (all I can go on).

Brandon494
08-21-2017, 01:06 PM
I'll call him the next looks like tarzan plays like jane. Sherrod was a better tackle imo, and Murphy has outplayed him in the 2 preseason games (all I can go on).

Damn forgot all about Sherrod...what a complete waste

smuggler
08-21-2017, 02:11 PM
I don't think Spriggs is a bad backup, but it does suck we had to use 2 picks to get him. I don't think he'll become a starter for us.

pbmax
08-21-2017, 02:28 PM
I don't think Spriggs is a bad backup, but it does suck we had to use 2 picks to get him. I don't think he'll become a starter for us.

There is still time. Cliffy was ready Week 1, but Tauscher started because of an Earl Dotson injury (back).

Bach took his lumps the first two years. At times beat by both speed and power. Spriggs needs to solve one first then get better at other. I don't think he should ever be beaten by speed with his physical abilities. That is where I would start.

Once you throw up that wall, then work on counters.

Baranczyk thought his hands were unsettled, but I though he was too high on the corner and lost leverage.

bobblehead
08-21-2017, 02:35 PM
There is still time. Cliffy was ready Week 1, but Tauscher started because of an Earl Dotson injury (back).

Bach took his lumps the first two years. At times beat by both speed and power. Spriggs needs to solve one first then get better at other. I don't think he should ever be beaten by speed with his physical abilities. That is where I would start.

Baranczyk thought his hands were unsettled, but I though he was too high on the corner and lost leverage.

I agree, his hands are OK. Every young player needs a better punch. Hell, Bakh has a crappy punch but makes up for it with tenacity and positioning. Thing is its a dance and you have to be in sync. If your hands are in position and your body isn't you end up holding. Its why I thought sherrod had a shot. His feet were so good for a mountain that he got in front of guys. Spriggs is the opposite, so athletic and long, but doesn't get in front of guys....wtf.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2017, 03:06 PM

He's looked like a beast this preseason. Shit, I didn't see either game, and even I know that.

Guiness
08-21-2017, 04:14 PM
Damn forgot all about Sherrod...what a complete waste

Surprised to see Sherrod mentioned in this thread. He never really played much, and the leg injury and ensuing SNAFU pretty much robbed him of any opportunity to play.

More of a Terrence Murphy 'not enough information' IMO

texaspackerbacker
08-21-2017, 05:15 PM
Put Spriggs on the Christian Ringo diet; Better yet, give Ringo a shot at O Tackle.

Bretsky
08-21-2017, 08:32 PM

I was not that excited about Kenny Clark; but I was wrong
The dude balls out. I think worst case is he's a very good DL
I can see Pro Bowl for him down the road. He makes plays

Joemailman
08-21-2017, 08:56 PM
Article on Spriggs" struggles with a couple videos. http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/21/whats-wrong-with-packers-ot-jason-spriggs/

On one, hands look way too high, up on the helmet. On the other, looks like he's anticipating outside rush and can't recover inside.

ND72
08-21-2017, 09:04 PM
Kenny Clark is getting it. I think he'll be our dest DL guy by end of the year, followed by Lowry. I love Daniels, don't get me wrong...and he goes to my church so don't tell him, but his bark is WAY bigger than his bite.

I don't know what the Packers want of Spriggs. It seemed natural to move either him or Bulaga to RG. Spriggs is too tall and plays too tall to play guard, but I thought he played well last year. Put some weight on him, and I think he'd be fine. Or you put Bulaga in there. I know he complained, but if you tell him, he then has a choice to make since he's under contract. I like Bulaga also, but I've always thought he'd be a dominate guard, much like Mike Wahle. But what do the Packers want of Spriggs? Bak is now your LT forever. Bulaga evidently is your RT, right? So what do you want of Spriggs? you moved up to get him. Is all you want form him to is to develop and then you trade him? seems dumb.

pbmax
08-22-2017, 09:29 AM
Article on Spriggs" struggles with a couple videos. http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/21/whats-wrong-with-packers-ot-jason-spriggs/

On one, hands look way too high, up on the helmet. On the other, looks like he's anticipating outside rush and can't recover inside.

I think one problem is informing the other. Hands are an issue.

But mainly, he's gotta get some bend and explosion.

#PadLevel

mraynrand
08-22-2017, 09:58 AM
I don't know what the Packers want of Spriggs.

Backup both tackles, eventually take over for Bulaga.

ND72
08-22-2017, 10:38 AM
Backup both tackles, eventually take over for Bulaga.

Both their contracts end the same year. So you're hoping that 1. Spriggs will for sure develop into a starter by then? (which i think he already is, but case in point) 2. He would resign after not getting a chance until 2020? So then during 2019, you offer him a starters contract without ever truly (possibly) never starting? And then you still have Bulaga on the team, so he'll become a cancer?

Doesn't seem well planned. I really think they didn't expect Bak to develop, or Bak to resign...and then he did.

mraynrand
08-22-2017, 10:59 AM
I'd bet my left nut Bulaga doesn't stay healthy through 2019

Fritz
08-22-2017, 11:15 AM
I wish Spriggs was showing the steady improvement fans and coaches love to see, if not the great leap forward, but it's also far, far too soon to call the guy a bust.

Different position, but as I recall Mike Wahle was quite unpolished early on. And Earl Dotson had terrible false-start issues for the longest time.

Pugger
08-22-2017, 12:47 PM

Spriggs is still young and only going into his second season. Bak wasn't a world beater at this point in his career either. Spriggs showed promise last season so I think it is rather premature to give up on him after 2 preseason games this year.

pbmax
08-22-2017, 04:50 PM
Both their contracts end the same year. So you're hoping that 1. Spriggs will for sure develop into a starter by then? (which i think he already is, but case in point) 2. He would resign after not getting a chance until 2020? So then during 2019, you offer him a starters contract without ever truly (possibly) never starting? And then you still have Bulaga on the team, so he'll become a cancer?

Doesn't seem well planned. I really think they didn't expect Bak to develop, or Bak to resign...and then he did.

They needed backup tackles after the Tretter/Barclay/Sitton experiment. And yes, they were not sure Bach was going to re-up with them. I am pretty sure they were enamored with Bach before the draft that year.

Also Bulaga's legs weren't getting any younger.

Definite need pick.

texaspackerbacker
08-22-2017, 05:33 PM
What gets me - a little bit anyway - is that the Packers seem to favor smallish possibly mobile tackles instead of big ol' road graders. When I saw that 6'6 335 guy from the Redskins go off the field last week, I was reminded of that again. I wish we'd go with that sort of player. Spriggs supposedly gained weight/muscle, but he doesn't look bigger, and his play kinda shoots down the muscle idea.

ND72
08-22-2017, 05:47 PM
They needed backup tackles after the Tretter/Barclay/Sitton experiment. And yes, they were not sure Bach was going to re-up with them. I am pretty sure they were enamored with Bach before the draft that year.

Also Bulaga's legs weren't getting any younger.

Definite need pick.

Completely agree. I know I came off wrong, I like Spriggs,and I liked the pick because it was a need. I'm just worried they could end up losing Spriggs and Bulaga, and then in 2020, we are drafting round 1 tackle to plug in as a starter.

bobblehead
08-22-2017, 05:50 PM
Spriggs is still young and only going into his second season. Bak wasn't a world beater at this point in his career either. Spriggs showed promise last season so I think it is rather premature to give up on him after 2 preseason games this year.

I've been a bakh detractor, but his tenacity is right there with Lang. Similar players. You need that streak of asshole to be a great DL (or you have to be a physical freak). Spriggs lacks that nastiness. He isn't the mountain sherrod was. He doesn't have Cliftons punch. Maybe he works hard and maiximizes his skills, but that will leave him an average RT is my guess.

mraynrand
08-22-2017, 06:46 PM
I'm just worried they could end up losing Spriggs and Bulaga, and then in 2020, we are drafting round 1 tackle to plug in as a starter.

This could happen, worst case scenario. They'll have enough time to draft another LT next two years if they think Spriggs ain't got it and Bulaga looks beat up.

mraynrand
08-22-2017, 06:47 PM
What gets me - a little bit anyway - is that the Packers seem to favor smallish possibly mobile tackles instead of big ol' road graders.

When I saw that 6'6 335 guy from the Redskins go off the field last week

Hmmmm....makes u think.

Rutnstrut
08-23-2017, 12:16 PM
I'd bet my left nut Bulaga doesn't stay healthy through 2019

I'm pretty sure ol lefty will be safe. I doubt he stays healthy through this season. Plus he doesn't seem to do real well playing injured.

pbmax
08-23-2017, 01:05 PM
Way to jinx it:

Packer Report
Bulaga limping off during run-game drill vs. defense. Obviously not a good thing.

Rutnstrut
08-23-2017, 02:40 PM
Way to jinx it:

Packer Report
Bulaga limping off during run-game drill vs. defense. Obviously not a good thing.

It sucks, but shocked I'm not. However limping off the field isn't a for sure that it's going to be anything major. I figure if he has a major injury it will be later in the season and he won't be available for the playoffs.

mraynrand
08-23-2017, 03:04 PM
Way to jinx it:

Packer Report

Sometimes my powers frighten me.

pbmax
08-23-2017, 03:42 PM
At least he was kind enough to give them a warning this year.

Fritz
08-24-2017, 06:00 AM
And it's Murphy up, not Spriggs.

pbmax
08-24-2017, 08:39 AM
And it's Murphy up, not Spriggs.

They both did, but Murphy was first. But that makes sense, Murphy has been the backup RT all camp.

gbgary
08-24-2017, 10:01 AM
heard mm speak of spriggs recently and acts like he's not concerned at all.

RashanGary
08-24-2017, 10:16 AM
They both did, but Murphy was first. But that makes sense, Murphy has been the backup RT all camp.

It doesn't make sense based on forum consensus last year. Spriggs was supposed to be the heir apparent to the mediocre Bahktiari. Then people spoke of all the wasted talent just sitting on the bench after Bahk was resigned. General opinion was the uber talented Spriggs would be first off the bench for either tackle position.

Not only was Bahk way better than Packer fan gave him credit but Spriggs has been way worse. And to top it off, Murphy has out performed Spriggs.

So yeah, it makes sense to those of us who've seen the fall of Spriggs happening, but to some, this is a surprise. He's a 2nd round pick being out played by a 6th.

I hope Spriggs gets it together and becomes a serviceable backup at both spots..... but I'm not holding my breath. TT needs to keep looking for a good backup LT next off season. Spriggs isn't good enough and needs to either step up or be pushed out.

Fritz
08-24-2017, 11:18 AM
Way to jinx it:

Packer Report

Y'know, PB, you really make it hard for a guy to have a thoughtless, knee-jerk reaction, what with all your factual information.

Patler
08-24-2017, 11:19 AM
People are making far too much out of who went in before whom for half of a practice at the mid point of training camp. It means very little. There can be many reasons, such as, for example:

- They truly think Murphy is ahead of Spriggs at this point.
- They think the two are about equal, so want one to focus on RT, the other at LT.
- They saw Spriggs a lot with the #1s last year at several different positions. Murphy was inactive for 15 games and played just 8 snaps. They wanted to see him in the environment.
- Their backup guards have struggled, so they want "left side" and "right side" backups in Spriggs and Murphy. They hope this will be Murphy's side.
- Neither seems to handle side to side switches well, so this will be Murphy's side.
- Spriggs doesn't handle the right side well, so they hope Murphy can.
- They don't think Murphy is a left tackle, so if he has value as a tackle it is only on the right.
- Murphy was standing next to Campen, and Campen said, "Go give it a shot with the 1's."
- They intended to try both with the 1's and just happened to go with Murphy first.
- Spriggs was tieing his shoe.
- Campen couldn't remember his name.

Both seem certain to make the roster, so preseason will be a lot about seeing what they can do.

mraynrand
08-24-2017, 11:39 AM
People are making far too much out of who went in before whom for half of a practice at the mid point of training camp. It means very little. There can be many reasons, such as, for example:

- They think the two are about equal, so want one to focus on RT, the other at LT.
- They saw Spriggs a lot with the #1s last year at several different positions. Murphy was inactive for 15 games and played just 8 snaps. They wanted to see him in the environment.
- Their backup guards have struggled, so they want "left side" and "right side" backups in Spriggs and Murphy. They hope this will be Murphy's side.
- Neither seems to handle side to side switches well, so this will be Murphy's side.
- They don't think Murphy is a left tackle, so if he has value as a tackle it is only on the right.
- Murphy was standing next to Campen, and Campen said, "Go give it a shot with the 1's."
- They intended to try both with the 1's and just happened to go with Murphy first.

Both seem certain to make the roster, so preseason will be a lot about seeing what they can do.

Good post. I agree with all of this except 'tieing'

Patler
08-24-2017, 11:56 AM
I agree with all of this except 'tieing'

:oops:

Fritz
08-24-2017, 01:46 PM

Like PB, you make it difficult for me to enjoy my thoughtless, panicked, knee-jerk reactions. What else is one to do during this difficult stretch of training camp? How am I to get into mid-season form if I don't get enough panic reps in now?

pbmax
08-24-2017, 02:55 PM
It doesn't make sense based on forum consensus last year. Spriggs was supposed to be the heir apparent to the mediocre Bahktiari. Then people spoke of all the wasted talent just sitting on the bench after Bahk was resigned. General opinion was the uber talented Spriggs would be first off the bench for either tackle position.

Not only was Bahk way better than Packer fan gave him credit but Spriggs has been way worse. And to top it off, Murphy has out performed Spriggs.

So yeah, it makes sense to those of us who've seen the fall of Spriggs happening, but to some, this is a surprise. He's a 2nd round pick being out played by a 6th.

I hope Spriggs gets it together and becomes a serviceable backup at both spots..... but I'm not holding my breath. TT needs to keep looking for a good backup LT next off season. Spriggs isn't good enough and needs to either step up or be pushed out.

Spriggs was the primary backup for three positions last year and played at 2 of them I believe, in games. Meanwhile, Murphy was inactive most of the season. So unless you think McCarthy is in the habit of putting names and draft position on the game day active list instead of people who can help win, I do not understand your point.

No one thought talent was wasted on the bench. They were in desperate need of developmental talent at Tackle and both Spriggs and Murphy provided that last year.

Murphy is just having a better second camp now.

pbmax
08-24-2017, 02:58 PM
Murphy had spent time with the #1 group in camp when they rested Bulaga as well.

Be interesting to see the first Game Day active list. If 7 lineman are active, likely that only one of Spriggs/Murphy are active with a Guard unless they activate 8.

mraynrand
08-24-2017, 07:53 PM
Murphy had spent time with the #1 group in camp when they rested Bulaga as well.

Be interesting to see the first Game Day active list. If 7 lineman are active, likely that only one of Spriggs/Murphy are active with a Guard unless they activate 8.

If Spriggs is inactive, who is their backup LT? Slide Bulaga and plug Murphy in at RT?

mraynrand
08-24-2017, 07:55 PM
Like PB, you make it difficult for me to enjoy my thoughtless, panicked, knee-jerk reactions. What else is one to do during this difficult stretch of training camp? How am I to get into mid-season form if I don't get enough panic reps in now?

Forget the panic, just get blindingly angry at TT for screwing everything up. BP is the same but you feel more righteously powerful than pathetically powerless. Just ask Rutnstrut. :)

Rutnstrut
08-25-2017, 12:37 AM
Forget the panic, just get blindingly angry at TT for screwing everything up. BP is the same but you feel more righteously powerful than pathetically powerless. Just ask Rutnstrut. :)

Hey I was being upbeat and optimistic on the Bulaga injury. I can't help it that since Red left I have be the only realist on a board full of kool-aid oholics.

texaspackerbacker
08-25-2017, 07:46 AM
How many years, make that how many decades of the Kool-Aid being justified by the record does it take to be convincing? There's a LOT I tend to dislike about Thompson and McCarthy, but the team just keeps rolling on - thank you Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers, so they can't be all that bad.

Most self-proclaimed "realists" in general could better be called "negativists". Never was that more true than about the Packers.

wist43
08-25-2017, 12:04 PM
I'm surprised at how bad Spriggs has been this year... I thought his main problem was strength - and that would be corrected with an entire year in an NFL conditioning and strength program - but, alas, no.

He looked completely overmatched in the game last weekend. He was getting ragdolled and pushed around on almost every play... for whatever reason, he seems not to have the ability to get stronger.

wist43
08-25-2017, 12:05 PM
I'm surprised at how bad Spriggs has been this year... I thought his main problem was strength - and that would be corrected with an entire year in an NFL conditioning and strength program - but, alas, no.

He looked completely overmatched in the game last weekend. He was getting ragdolled and pushed around on almost every play... for whatever reason, he seems not to have the ability to get stronger.

pbmax
08-25-2017, 12:17 PM

He's not getting rag dolled, he is getting WAY out of position and reaching. He is Schroedinger's Tackle, doesn't know whether to punch or move.

One of those earlier replays someone linked to he took the flattest set I have ever seen on a non screen pass and STILL got too deep to cut off the inside move. Part of that was the Guard was way inside so there was a huge gap to truck through, but he has to get coordinated between hands and feet and decide where he is going to make his stand.

His drop steps and his feet looked OK, but his target depth/spot was terrible given the rest of the line and/or the play call. My guess is that this is the terrible awkward phase of trying to adapt his style to the Packers coaching emphasis. And he is doing neither right. Going to take some time the clear his head and stop thinking about it, just reacting to player.

Pugger
08-25-2017, 12:53 PM

Perhaps they consider Spriggs Bak's backup?

Fritz
08-25-2017, 12:56 PM
If Spriggs is still struggling next August 25th, then we can all panic.

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2017, 10:27 AM

I don't know. Player years are now like dog years. Every season they have to contribute and potentially start. In just a couple years, Ted will be admiring the butts of younger offensive linemen.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2017/08/25/TELEMMGLPICT000138271161_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberW d9EgFPZtcLiMQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08.jpeg

call_me_ishmael
08-26-2017, 10:04 PM
Wow, what an awful game for Spriggs.

Bretsky
08-26-2017, 10:38 PM
he looks worse than Sherrod; we used our 2nd and 4th to get him last yr to boot

pbmax
08-26-2017, 10:51 PM
he looks worse than Sherrod; we used our 2nd and 4th to get him last yr to boot

He did. Sherrod never struggled in pass pro like this.

He looks very much like Colledge.

Red might be right, his future might have to be at Guard.

bobblehead
08-26-2017, 10:57 PM
Good post. I agree with all of this except 'tieing'

spelling aside, it would be more plausible if we still had EDS on the team.

bobblehead
08-26-2017, 11:02 PM
He did. Sherrod never struggled in pass pro like this.

He looks very much like Colledge.

Red might be right, his future might have to be at Guard.

He would really need to beef up to play guard where you face stout bulldozers all the time.

call_me_ishmael
08-27-2017, 12:24 AM
Yeah he's 6'6" and maybe 300, no way he is a guard. He'd need to put on 40 lbs to be a guard at that height!

Brandon494
08-27-2017, 12:46 AM
Man him and Fackell don't belong on the 53 but you can't cut them due to potential ��

Joemailman
08-27-2017, 12:56 AM
Man him and Fackell don't belong on the 53 but you can't cut them due to potential ��

And due to lack of depth. Especially at OLB. Biegel hasn't practiced and Elliott has back spasms. Gilbert actually played pretty decent tonight. He may be the top backup right now.

pittstang5
08-27-2017, 07:09 AM
So disappointed to hear Spriggs is as bad as he his. I loved the pick, he was one of the players I thought the Packers could draft. This should have been a breakout year for him. I thought the future , possibly this year but more likely next year would have Spriggs at RT and move Buluga to Guard. Losing Lang hurts even more now.

pbmax
08-27-2017, 08:22 AM
I was almost as disappointed in Fackrell as SPRIGGS™.

Spriggs still has time, but it doesn't look like an easy path.

My official dilettante explanation after watching him for the rest of the game is that he is waiting for the upfield move. Sitting on it like a hitter sitting on a fastball at 3-0. He got burned by speed last year around the edge when he filled in for Bach and he has overcompensated this year by about 175%.

So when the inside move comes, he waits it out, like he is expecting it to be a feint or stunt. And he doesn't punch or grab until well too late.

He was MUCH more feisty and grabby as a Guard last year, even limited in anchor and height as he is. He needs to go back to that. The guys he lost inside were basically free rushers.

Pugger
08-27-2017, 08:38 AM

Really. Was Bak wonderful in his second preseason?

wist43
08-27-2017, 08:44 AM
You don't want to give up on such a high pick, but he looked worse than horrible... no way can he be trusted in a regular season game.

pbmax
08-27-2017, 11:10 AM
Here is what I think has played out for SPRIGGS™ in this camp, written up with two examples by PackersWire at USAToday by Zach Kruse

– What a roller coaster opening series it was for Jason Spriggs. On a 3rd-and-3 play, he blocked Von Miller one-on-one forever. Miller exploded off the ball but Spriggs countered and held his ground, and his quick feet allowed him to handle a secondary spin move. Just three plays later, all that goodwill evaporated. Miller hit him with a quick, devastating spin move and easily sacked Rodgers, who went down to avoid a big hit. Spriggs had no chance.

You rush upfield against SPRIGGS™, he expects it (got burned by it last season) and goes right with you, ties you up. You counter that move (important: you counter that move AFTER you go upfield) he expects it and is OK.

You feint upfield, he is leaning that way (he's kinda top heavy and perhaps does have a problem with pad level) and wants to defend that first. He is literally waiting for that wide rush. You, the EDGE dude, then cutback or spin inside before stepping upfield. SPRIGGS™ has left a gap AND is waiting so hard for upfield movement he doesn't reset his feet or punch to get contact with you. It looks like he is chasing a dog around the yard.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/27/after-further-review-packers-defensive-line-dominant-vs-broncos/

ThunderDan
08-27-2017, 12:01 PM
SPRIGGS™

I like it, you are going to make millions.

Joemailman
08-27-2017, 12:12 PM
http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/27/7-takeaways-from-packers-preseason-loss-against-broncos/2/

Michael Cohen from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel brought up an interesting point on the Packers podcast. He said he spoke with a few defensive lineman who’ve faced Spriggs and Murphy in practice. According to the Packers defensive line, Murphy plays offensive tackle by-the-book, meaning he utilizes proper technique to get his drops and maintains solid form throughout, including hand placement. Spriggs, on the other hand, tends to play “games,” suggesting he will try to fool defenders into what they are getting so that he can trap them into a particular pass rush move. It’s a long shot, but it could be that Spriggs is getting too cute with his technique.

Rutnstrut
08-27-2017, 12:41 PM
http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/27/7-takeaways-from-packers-preseason-loss-against-broncos/2/

Could also suggest that he's lazy and unwilling to work on technique. Could also just be that he's young and hasn't realized he NEEDS that technique.

Joemailman
08-27-2017, 12:47 PM
Could also suggest that he's lazy and unwilling to work on technique. Could also just be that he's young and hasn't realized he NEEDS that technique.

Could also be that he's using the preseason to experiment with some things. Whatever the case, he needs to get himself ready for the regular season. He'll probably get a ton of reps Thursday Night. He needs to make it count.

pbmax
08-27-2017, 01:17 PM
I'd buy the trying to be smart angle, but if he is setting too far upfield to bait players into an interior rush, why the hell isn't he reacting when he gets what he wants? Or is he so bad at it he is trying to bait them upfield and then surprised when they don't swallow the bait?

I am still betting on over-adjusting to getting beat wide last year, even if he is playing games with techniques.