PDA

View Full Version : Bob McGinn Is A Dot Commer

pbmax
08-25-2017, 08:20 AM
I am sure an IPO is in his future. Along with some more fantastic photography.

https://www.bobmcginnfootball.com

call_me_ishmael
08-25-2017, 08:58 AM
Prediction: The only people that subscribe to these sites are other journalists :-D

pbmax
08-28-2017, 05:14 PM
Sniping has begun!

Wilde Retweeted this one, but unless Bob follows these two brace souls, he won't see it (subtweeting for the win).

Rob Demovsky @RobDemovsky 1h1 hour ago
Funny how he used to rip other reporters for being self promoters.

QBME
08-28-2017, 06:19 PM
Sniping has begun!

Wilde Retweeted this one, but unless Bob follows these two brace souls, he won't see it (subtweeting for the win).

Rob Demovsky @RobDemovsky 1h1 hour ago
Funny how he used to rip other reporters for being self promoters.

So now we're posting about reporters reporting on reporters?

Sorry, just sayin'.

Good gravy, let the season begin.

Bretsky
08-28-2017, 06:20 PM
I'd subscribe to one of the best in McGinn

Joemailman
08-28-2017, 06:51 PM
I'd subscribe to one of the best in McGinn

Great! Post the articles in the GC!

mraynrand
08-28-2017, 06:54 PM

Sorry, just sayin'.

MrAynrand @MrAynRand 1h5 hour ago
Funny how QBME rips on posters posting about reporters reporting on reporters

pbmax
08-29-2017, 09:12 AM

Sorry, just sayin'.

If I had something more interesting, I'd post it. BTW, see the training camp thread today in about 5 minutes.

But I do like the idea of Bob fuming at all the other reporters doing radio and TV while he steadfastly refuses (or isn't invited-though in the case of GB or Milw radio, that would seem unlikely).

I also will give Bob this: when he went digital, he did it on his own after retiring, not with a fat ESPN paycheck filling the sails.

mraynrand
08-29-2017, 11:01 AM
So long as Bob writes, and doesn't make videos, more power to him. The UrinalScented videos are just awful. I think they do them to cover for lack of football knowledge and ability to construct an intelligible sentence. You know how it goes, some guys have a face for radio, some guys have a face and voice for newsprint, and some guys have face, voice and writing talent best suited for unemployment.

Smidgeon
08-29-2017, 11:33 AM
So long as Bob writes, and doesn't make videos, more power to him. The UrinalScented videos are just awful. I think they do them to cover for lack of football knowledge and ability to construct an intelligible sentence. You know how it goes, some guys have a face for radio, some guys have a face and voice for newsprint, and some guys have face, voice and writing talent best suited for unemployment.

I thought journalism required the ability to write. Apparently either I was wrong or newspapers think the only online content people want is video.

pbmax
08-29-2017, 12:21 PM
Everyone is doing videos now. A couple of sites, Fox Sports among them, have eliminated writers from their sites. Given the sites of the Gannett papers in state (GBPG, JSO and Madison.com/WiSJ), I bet Bob left rather than write less and make more videos.

The reason is that advertisers are willing to pay better rates for video watches than web site hits where written stories reside. They can get guaranteed numbers about the entire ad playing in front of the content and how many people let the video player run to the end. With web site hits, you cannot guarantee they see the ad even if they stay on the page for the time it takes to read the content.

The question Gannett and Fox need to ask, why would anyone watch these terrible videos? Even podcasters have gotten more professional, these videos are terrible.

Smidgeon
08-29-2017, 12:35 PM
Everyone is doing videos now. A couple of sites, Fox Sports among them, have eliminated writers from their sites. Given the sites of the Gannett papers in state (GBPG, JSO and Madison.com/WiSJ), I bet Bob left rather than write less and make more videos.

The reason is that advertisers are willing to pay better rates for video watches than web site hits where written stories reside. They can get guaranteed numbers about the entire ad playing in front of the content and how many people let the video player run to the end. With web site hits, you cannot guarantee they see the ad even if they stay on the page for the time it takes to read the content.

The question Gannett and Fox need to ask, why would anyone watch these terrible videos? Even podcasters have gotten more professional, these videos are terrible.

Well, it's only anecdotal, but I stopped visiting the JSO when they switched to video. Not worth my time.

Harlan Huckleby
08-29-2017, 12:45 PM
Great! Post the articles in the GC!

It's kind of hard on the conscience to steal content from one guy, and a guy I like.

My conscience is already weighed down pretty heavy by massive music downloading, this could be the straw that breaks the pirate's back.

call_me_ishmael
08-29-2017, 01:27 PM
They do video because you can't ad-block the ads at the beginning. They gotta pay the bills somehow.

Sadly, it looks like free journalism is coming to an end. The writing is on the wall. People aren't going to pay, myself included, and people aren't going to stop ad-blocking, myself included.

Cleft Crusty
08-29-2017, 03:42 PM
I thought journalism required the ability to write.

Not necessarily. Some outfits still demand competency in the written language. Let me know if you find one. I need to supplement my $0.63/hour wages, and I'm not telegenic.

Cleft Crusty
08-29-2017, 03:43 PM
Sadly, it looks like free journalism is coming to an end. The writing is on the wall.

I can't believe this was intentionally ironic.

pbmax
08-29-2017, 04:23 PM
I can't believe this was intentionally ironic.

It had a good run from about 1993 to 2016.

QBME
08-29-2017, 10:42 PM
If I had something more interesting, I'd post it. BTW, see the training camp thread today in about 5 minutes.

But I do like the idea of Bob fuming at all the other reporters doing radio and TV while he steadfastly refuses (or isn't invited-though in the case of GB or Milw radio, that would seem unlikely).

I also will give Bob this: when he went digital, he did it on his own after retiring, not with a fat ESPN paycheck filling the sails.

No dig on you. I also come from respecting the power of the intelligently written word. Now a days it's mostly folks blathering on video with no blue or red line editing.

I'm getting old, get off my lawn!

pbmax
08-30-2017, 08:08 AM
No dig on you. I also come from respecting the power of the intelligently written word. Now a days it's mostly folks blathering on video with no blue or red line editing.

I'm getting old, get off my lawn!

There is no doubt he was the best beat reporter and game story writer. His sources were vast and beyond anything else locally.

The only beef I have with McGinn are his hobby horses which he always retuned to even if some were contradictory, and his probably editor assigned weekend bombshell column, about how the team was poised for Dynasty status or about to be overrun by incompetence.

There will never be a better reported moment in the decade of the 2000's than the story of the personnel department turning on GM Sherman and blasting him through leaks.

So I hope the writing venture works out. If he can produce enough content at a reasonable price, I might subscribe.

But Bob's get off my lawn reaction to other reporters taking other jobs was just short-sighted. His industry was undergoing painful changes and Bob is now a part of that. He had to know even before the merger as he agreed to be Mr. Podcast with Ty Dunne and now Michael Cohen. The days of writing only for a city newspaper are ending.

QBME
08-30-2017, 06:09 PM
There is no doubt he was the best beat reporter and game story writer. His sources were vast and beyond anything else locally.

The only beef I have with McGinn are his hobby horses which he always retuned to even if some were contradictory, and his probably editor assigned weekend bombshell column, about how the team was poised for Dynasty status or about to be overrun by incompetence.

There will never be a better reported moment in the decade of the 2000's than the story of the personnel department turning on GM Sherman and blasting him through leaks.

So I hope the writing venture works out. If he can produce enough content at a reasonable price, I might subscribe.

But Bob's get off my lawn reaction to other reporters taking other jobs was just short-sighted. His industry was undergoing painful changes and Bob is now a part of that. He had to know even before the merger as he agreed to be Mr. Podcast with Ty Dunne and now Michael Cohen. The days of writing only for a city newspaper are ending.

Spot on, and sadfully accurate.