PDA

View Full Version : NFL Incest

superfan
09-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Sorry for the nasty subject, but seriously, is there any real scouting going on anymore in the league? I'm amazed by the number of signings that involve former coaches and players reuniting.

Here's a few examples, and some web work would probably generate many more:

S Marquand Manuel from Seattle to Green Bay (Thompson)
Off. Coor. Darrel Bevell to Minnesota (Childress recruited him out of high school years ago, and the UW connection)
OG Artis Hicks from Philadelphia to Minnesota (Childress)
WR Todd Pinkston from Philadelphia to Minnesota (Childress)
OC Mike Flanagan from Green Bay to Houston (Sherman)
RB Ron Dayne from Denver to Houston (Kubiak)
TE Jeb Putzier from Denver to Houston (Kubiak)
TE Ben Steele from Green Bay to Houston (Sherman)
OL Adam Goldberg from Minnesota to St. Louis (Linehan)
QB Gus Frerotte from Minnesota to St. Louis (Linehan)
S Corey Chavous from Minnesota to St. Louis (Linehan)
LB Raonall Smith from Minnesota to St. Louis (Linehan)

The list could go on and on.

After a while, you start to think that maybe you aren't getting a secret find that the former coach knows, and maybe they just don't know anything about anyone else.

On the bright side, at least MM didn't raid the Niners when he came to GB...

HarveyWallbangers
09-07-2006, 05:55 PM
They are known quantities to those coaches, so they are safe acquisitions, I guess. They know what they'll get. There are so many players that look decent in one place, but then go elsewhere and don't fit the scheme. Too bad Ted Thompson could bring Steve Hutchinson with him.
:D

red
09-07-2006, 06:13 PM
its just like the real world

its not what you know, but who you know

you just have to hope your coach or gm has a lot of smart talented, and successful friends, and not a bunch of drunken idiots

Brohm
09-07-2006, 07:36 PM
A lot of new coaches do that in order to help implement the system they want to install. Holmgrem brought in Harry Syndey (sp), Sanjay Beach, etc. from SF to help install (run) the WCO until he got bettter players.

BallHawk
09-07-2006, 09:13 PM
You forgot Joe "Lady Godiva" Cullen to the Lions. That wasn't the smartest pick-up. :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
09-09-2006, 03:44 PM
They are known quantities to those coaches, so they are safe acquisitions, I guess. They know what they'll get. There are so many players that look decent in one place, but then go elsewhere and don't fit the scheme. Too bad Ted Thompson could bring Steve Hutchinson with him.
:D

I can't ever imagine Ole Ted being cast, in the NFL Version of the remake of "the Gunfight at the OK Corrall".

At least not as, Wyatt Earp, Morgan Earp, Virgil Earp, and Doc Holliday (Halliday).

Might he be cast as one of brothers Frank McLaury or Tom McLaury or Billy Clanton? All shot dead?

No! I can't see him being suitable for playing those roles.

Yet, now I'm wondering?

Ike Clanton and Billy Claiborne came in with the bad guy's. These two fella's only ran around, as the fight went down and saved their ass's.

Now Ted Thompson might be perfect for one of those parts? :razz:

superfan
09-09-2006, 11:03 PM
Accurate but somewhat depressing, Woody. Ike Clanton, now that's a said comparison for our GM.

I'm afraid he may be more like the Jason Priestley character in Tombstone. Just a thought.

woodbuck27
09-09-2006, 11:17 PM
Accurate but somewhat depressing, Woody. Ike Clanton, now that's a said comparison for our GM.

I'm afraid he may be more like the Jason Priestley character in Tombstone. Just a thought.

Ted Thompson isn't at all doing a bad job.

I'm upset that he didn't do more for us on the OL, but we'll have to wait and see.

I also think we needed more at RB and WR and again it's a wait and see. . .

I loved his 2006 Draft Class, and he did about what I expected in arriving at OUR 53 Man Roster.

I'm just one of those Packer fans that wanted more for "the Vet's". I guess I can't have it all. :mrgreen:

GO PACK GO ! FAN FAITH !