PDA

View Full Version : Supper Club Day

HowardRoark
08-31-2017, 06:55 PM
Evidently today was officially declared Supper Club Day. Where are the good ones?

Not a classic Supper Club, but my go to place at cabin is Wolff's River Inn in Post Lake.

Joemailman
08-31-2017, 09:15 PM
White Stag Inn in Sugar Camp. Intersection of Hwy 17 and County Rd D. Great steaks. Pork chops are worth the trip too.

HowardRoark
08-31-2017, 09:16 PM
That's a good one too.

HowardRoark
08-31-2017, 09:18 PM
https://www.travelwisconsin.com/article/restaurants/ten-northwoods-hot-spots-with-fish-to-fry?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=promoted_social_fy18&utm_content=restaurants

I've been to Al Gen and Norwood Pines too. Both good; but White Stag better

ThunderDan
09-01-2017, 01:50 PM
Ishnala in the Dells. Red's Supper Club between Darlington and Cuba City.

pbmax
09-03-2017, 09:51 AM
http://www.skyclubdining.com/

Its in Plover, which as I think of it, is near Stevens Point. Best steak I have had in the last three years.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2017, 10:27 AM
"supper club" is a mostly WI thing, although it is also used in other upper midwest states.

In the U.S., a supper club is a dining establishment generally found in the Upper Midwestern states of Wisconsin, Minnesota, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois and Iowa. These establishments typically are located on the edge of town in rural areas.

The first supper club in the United States was established in Beverly Hills, California, by Milwaukee, Wisconsin native Lawrence Frank. Supper clubs became popular during the 1930s and 1940s, although some establishments that later became supper clubs had previously gained notoriety as prohibition roadhouses.
Traditionally supper clubs were considered a "destination" where patrons would spend the whole evening, from cocktail hour to nightclub-style entertainment after dinner. Featuring a casual and relaxed atmosphere, they are now usually just restaurants rather than the all-night entertainment destinations of the past.

Typical menu
Supper clubs generally feature "simple" menus with somewhat limited offerings featuring "American" cuisine. Menus include dishes such as prime rib, steaks, chicken, and fish. An all-you-can-eat Friday night fish fry is particularly common at Wisconsin supper clubs.
Relish trays with items such as crackers, carrots, pickles, radishes, and celery are typically served at the table on Lazy Susans.

I grew up mostly in WI, went to lots of restaraunts, but never heard anybody use the phrase before.