PDA

View Full Version : Most Important Thread: Practice Squad 2017

pbmax
09-03-2017, 12:47 PM
Tom Silverstein‏ @TomSilverstein

QB Joe Callahan has decided to sign with the #Packers' practice squad. He had offers from two other teams. Gives GB three QBs now.

pbmax
09-03-2017, 12:48 PM
Cowboys claimed Price on waivers.

pbmax
09-03-2017, 12:49 PM
Tom Silverstein‏ @TomSilverstein 11m11 minutes ago
Tom Silverstein Retweeted Vince Calo

OL Adam Pankey signing with the #Packers practice squad.

pbmax
09-03-2017, 12:52 PM
Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 15m15 minutes ago
Kofi Amichia is signing to the practice squad.

pbmax
09-03-2017, 12:56 PM
Tom Silverstein‏ @TomSilverstein 34m34 minutes ago
LB Derrick Mathews cleared waivers and will sign with the #Packers practice squad.

pbmax
09-03-2017, 01:01 PM
Tom Silverstein
#Packers OLBs are now Matthews, Perry, Brooks, Fackrell and Odom . Reggie Gilbert is waiting in the wings on practice squad.

Callahan
Pankey
Mathews
Amichia
Gilbert

pbmax
09-03-2017, 01:16 PM
Dupre and McCaffrey cleared waivers and are available for PS.

pbmax
09-03-2017, 02:01 PM
Ryan Wood‏ @ByRyanWood 3m3 minutes ago

#Packers have signed rookie WR DeAngelo Yancey to their practice squad, per source. He was a 5th-round pick this spring.

Brandon494
09-03-2017, 02:08 PM
Man was really hoping we could keep Price on the PS

Also how funny the media hyped up our receivers and none got claimed

pbmax
09-03-2017, 02:09 PM
Wilde is getting oddly defensive over some of the moves today.

He doesn't like Elliot traded, Price lost and Hill to the Saints. He claims, correctly, that these lower end roster guys can make a difference and put up a GIF of Bostick fumbling the onside kick.

He also mentioned 2013 (or 2014) and the backup QB situation.

But he doesn't seem to want all experienced vets on the roster either.

pbmax
09-03-2017, 02:14 PM
Man was really hoping we could keep Price on the PS

Also how funny the media hyped up our receivers and none got claimed

Everyone is now hyped up about losing Hill to the Saints. No one remembers the Saints pickup up Callahan and then released him. Then he was with the Browns. Then the Packers got him back and he ended up on the 53 man roster.

No, no, no. Losing Hill is like Bostick on the hands team for on-side kicks.

Brandon494
09-03-2017, 02:18 PM
Elliot is what is he, this Odom kid has more potential if you ask me.

Losing Price sucks but it's easier to find run stuffers over pass rushers so I liked keeping Ringo instead

Hill will never be close to a starter in this league and was just fun to watch against 3rd stringers with his running skills.

texaspackerbacker
09-03-2017, 02:43 PM
Damn! Stupidity Stupidity Stupidity! We gave away Jayrone Elliot - a decent player - for a damn 7th round pick, and we lost Brian Price, who had done an excellent job as a D Lineman, on waivers.

The only silver lining for me is both idiot moves by Ted benefited my second favorite team.

But we managed to keep 10 big worthless lumps for our O Line - and two more on the practice squad now. SHIT!

Brandon494
09-03-2017, 02:46 PM
Hopefully they sign Dupree to the practice squad as well

Brandon494
09-03-2017, 02:48 PM
Damn! Stupidity Stupidity Stupidity! We gave away Jayrone Elliot - a decent player - for a damn 7th round pick, and we lost Brian Price, who had done an excellent job as a D Lineman, on waivers.

The only silver lining for me is both idiot moves by Ted benefited my second favorite team.

But we managed to keep 10 big worthless lumps for our O Line - and two more on the practice squad now. SHIT!

Had to make room for Brooks and Odom who is a better pas rusher than Elliot (5th in the nation in sacks last year)

pbmax
09-03-2017, 02:49 PM

The Packers are short of healthy people at Center and Guard. The extras are there until those players get better.

Elliot showed next to nothing this year and is hurt. 3 times he left practice or games with a back injury.

Losing Price hurt, but as someone else said, run stopping D lineman are not in short supply.

pbmax
09-03-2017, 02:53 PM
Tom Silverstein
#Packers OLBs are now Matthews, Perry, Brooks, Fackrell and Odom . Reggie Gilbert is waiting in the wings on practice squad.

Callahan
Pankey
Mathews
Amichia
Gilbert

Callahan
Pankey
Mathews
Amichia
Gilbert
Donatello Brown (via Packer Report)
Yancey

pbmax
09-03-2017, 02:54 PM
Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 4m4 minutes ago
Make that eight. Lunsford has signed.

Callahan
Pankey
Mathews
Amichia
Gilbert
Yancey
Lunsford

Joemailman
09-03-2017, 03:03 PM
Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 4m4 minutes ago
Make that eight. Lunsford has signed.

Callahan
Pankey
Mathews
Amichia
Gilbert
Yancey
Lunsford

Had to look up who Lunsford was. Guess I wasn't paying close attention in he 2nd half of preseason games.

pbmax
09-03-2017, 04:02 PM
Tom Silverstein‏ @TomSilverstein 10m10 minutes ago
WR Max McCaffrey will not be returning to the #Packers.

Brandon494
09-03-2017, 04:21 PM
Reports Dupre won't be returning either...that's surprising

pbmax
09-03-2017, 04:23 PM

Link?

Brandon494
09-03-2017, 04:24 PM
Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13
WR Malachi Dupre will not be returning to the #Packers on the practice squad, according to a source. He is looking elsewhere at this point.
5:14 PM · Sep 3, 2017

pbmax
09-03-2017, 04:27 PM
Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13
WR Malachi Dupre will not be returning to the #Packers on the practice squad, according to a source. He is looking elsewhere at this point.
5:14 PM · Sep 3, 2017

I can understand. 7th round pick, on a team with a boatload of receivers, its almost the exact opposite situation of most Packer UDFAs.

woodbuck27
09-03-2017, 04:29 PM

What!? Where did he go to?

I am getting zippo on him being lost to the Packers.

Zool
09-03-2017, 04:34 PM
Elliot peaked in his rookie season. He is what he is. His fuckdogle moment is over and he's getting hurt a lot now.

pbmax
09-03-2017, 04:37 PM
Michael Cohen‏ @Michael_Cohen13 19m19 minutes ago
WR Montay Crockett will not return to the #Packers as a member of the practice squad, according to a source.

We seem to have reached peak receiver.

Brandon494
09-03-2017, 04:39 PM
Fingers crossed we get Michael Clark signed

Joemailman
09-03-2017, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

What!? Where did he go to?

I am getting zippo on him being lost to the Packers.

I think that means the Packers have told him they will not be signing him to the practice squad.

Brandon494
09-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Nice, Clark signed to PS

Brandon494
09-03-2017, 05:43 PM
The Green Bay Packers announced Sunday that they’ve officially signed 10 players to their practice squad including QB Joe Callahan.

Here’s the full practice squad:

OLB Reggie Gilbert
CB Donatello Brown
LB Derrick Mathews
OL Kofi Amichia
QB Joe Callahan
WR DeAngelo Yancey
OL Adam Pankey
DE Izaah Lunsford
WR Michael Clark
S Jermaine Whitehead

pbmax
09-03-2017, 05:50 PM
The Green Bay Packers announced Sunday that they’ve officially signed 10 players to their practice squad including QB Joe Callahan.

Here’s the full practice squad:

OLB Reggie Gilbert
CB Donatello Brown
LB Derrick Mathews
OL Kofi Amichia
QB Joe Callahan
WR DeAngelo Yancey
OL Adam Pankey
DE Izaah Lunsford
WR Michael Clark
S Jermaine Whitehead

Very glad they got Clark, Gilbert, D Brown (who came on during camp) and Whitehead. They lost Hill and the other OL who showed promise (Geoff Gray?).

pbmax
09-03-2017, 05:52 PM
Other thing would seem to be that they expect Adams to be able to practice soon. Unless they are genuinely unsure about his recovery timetable.

Pugger
09-03-2017, 07:28 PM
Nice, Clark signed to PS

He is an intriguing prospect for sure.

Joemailman
09-03-2017, 07:29 PM
Very glad they got Clark, Gilbert, D Brown (who came on during camp) and Whitehead. They lost Hill and the other OL who showed promise (Geoff Gray?).

I think Pankey has some potential as a G/T swing guy. Played LT and LG at Barclay's alma mater West Virginia.

Teamcheez1
09-03-2017, 07:58 PM

When he finds out nobody else wants him, he'll be back.

pbmax
09-03-2017, 08:27 PM
McCaffrey signed to Saints PS.

Tom Silverstein‏ @TomSilverstein 56m56 minutes ago
Something we might see someday: Taysom Hill pass to Max McCaffrey. #Saints claimed Hill on waivers and signed McCaffrey to PS #Packers

Fritz
09-04-2017, 07:40 AM
McCaffrey signed to Saints PS.

Tom Silverstein‏ @TomSilverstein 56m56 minutes ago
Something we might see someday: Taysom Hill pass to Max McCaffrey. #Saints claimed Hill on waivers and signed McCaffrey to PS #Packers

Makes me wonder if the Saints' scouting staff trolls the Pack. Callahan last year, then Hill and McCaffrey.

By the way, where's Herb Waters? IR?

pbmax
09-04-2017, 07:46 AM
Makes me wonder if the Saints' scouting staff trolls the Pack. Callahan last year, then Hill and McCaffrey.

By the way, where's Herb Waters? IR?

He went on IR. He might get an injury settlement but I haven't read that.

Fritz
09-04-2017, 08:46 AM
Well, I would have liked to see Hill, Dupre, and Gray on the PS, but I'm not going to start frothing at the mouth. We're talking about guys that aren't ready for the NFL, or are marginal talents. The former tend to not end up becoming NFL superstars. Sometimes PS guys can become solid contributors, but - say with Hill, for example - what are the odds he becomes an NFL starter? And if he does, what are the odds he becomes more than a marginal starter?

Again, I wish the Pack had him, but I'm not going to panic about any of this. "Tis the season of hope!

Brandon494
09-04-2017, 09:09 AM
Think people forget Hill is a 27 year old rookie also...if he was 22 he would have made the roster.

Bretsky
09-04-2017, 09:11 AM
HILL would have been nice to keep; if you believe Rich Gannon, perhaps one of the greatest Packer homers, you'd think we are going to get a high draft pick for Hundley sometime soon so it would have been nice to have Hill as a backup in waiting.

If I was Duprey I might look for a team with lesser WR's.

Joemailman
09-04-2017, 09:44 AM
HILL would have been nice to keep; if you believe Rich Gannon, perhaps one of the greatest Packer homers, you'd think we are going to get a high draft pick for Hundley sometime soon so it would have been nice to have Hill as a backup in waiting.

If I was Duprey I might look for a team with lesser WR's.

I'm not convinced the demand for Hundley will be as great as the Packers are hoping. There are probably 5 QB's good enough to go in the 1st round of the NFL Draft, plus the Bears will probably be releasing Glennon, who has actually played pretty well as a starter for some bad Tampa Bay teams.

Bretsky
09-04-2017, 09:52 AM
I'm not convinced the demand for Hundley will be as great as the Packers are hoping. There are probably 5 QB's good enough to go in the 1st round of the NFL Draft, plus the Bears will probably be releasing Glennon, who has actually played pretty well as a starter for some bad Tampa Bay teams.

Unfortunately I"d agree with you. I don't think we're getting a high draft pick for him.

Maybe a fourth..probably five to seven

If we could get a top 3 round pick I think we'd have already traded him. He just might play through his full contract with GB because having a good backup is more important than getting a low round pick.

mraynrand
09-04-2017, 10:01 AM
rn Packers at best get a conditional 7 for Hundley. Really, he looked marginal in the preseason - for a starter that is. For a guy who has to take a few snaps at the end of a blowout of Seattle, we can handle the odd INT and the inaccuracy.

Brandon494
09-04-2017, 10:12 AM
Lmao y'all are crazy if you don't think we get at least late 2nd to 3rd round pick for him. Hudley wasn't great but the O-line didn't do him any favors either.

Brandon494
09-04-2017, 10:13 AM
Having Farve and Rodgers the last two decades has spoiled us lmao

mraynrand
09-04-2017, 10:20 AM
Lmao y'all are crazy if you don't think we get at least late 2nd to 3rd round pick for him. Hudley wasn't great but the O-line didn't do him any favors either.

It's a factor. Unfortunately for him (and us) the only way he can improve his value is to play with the starting O-line during the regular season in a game that matters. And yes, we are totally spoiled.

bobblehead
09-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Everyone is now hyped up about losing Hill to the Saints. No one remembers the Saints pickup up Callahan and then released him. Then he was with the Browns. Then the Packers got him back and he ended up on the 53 man roster.

No, no, no. Losing Hill is like Bostick on the hands team for on-side kicks.

If hill or callahan EVER see the field as a Packer its not a good day. Period!

bobblehead
09-04-2017, 11:07 AM
The Packers are short of healthy people at Center and Guard. The extras are there until those players get better.

Elliot showed next to nothing this year and is hurt. 3 times he left practice or games with a back injury.

Losing Price hurt, but as someone else said, run stopping D lineman are not in short supply.

BRING BLACK C.J. WILSON!!!

bobblehead
09-04-2017, 11:10 AM
He went on IR. He might get an injury settlement but I haven't read that.

Is he the guy our DB coach was raving about? I think TT stashes him for the season if so.

pbmax
09-04-2017, 11:12 AM
Is he the guy our DB coach was raving about? I think TT stashes him for the season if so.

He is. Converted wideout I think.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/15/packers-coach-compares-cb-herb-waters-to-tramon-williams/

bobblehead
09-04-2017, 11:15 AM

I'd like to agree with you, but while other teams get 2nds for Alex Smith after he loses his job, the packers never seem to get good value when we dish guys.

bobblehead
09-04-2017, 11:16 AM
He is. Converted wideout I think.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/15/packers-coach-compares-cb-herb-waters-to-tramon-williams/

Yep, definitely keeping his on IR all season.

Patler
09-04-2017, 02:27 PM
My biggest regret in the Packers losing Hill is I didn't get to see them choose between Hill and Callahan for the practice squad. I was looking forward to that!

Fritz
09-04-2017, 04:29 PM
By JSO accounts, they like Hill's upside much more. But have no fear - now we can see whether Yancey or Clark ascends more quickly.

Zool
09-04-2017, 10:58 PM
I'm confused on the idea that moving Huntley is a good idea. If Rodgers goes down and Huntley is gone, people would be freaking out at Thompson for not securing the QB position. Remember Tolzein and Seneca Wallace?

pbmax
09-05-2017, 08:13 AM
I'm confused on the idea that moving Huntley is a good idea. If Rodgers goes down and Huntley is gone, people would be freaking out at Thompson for not securing the QB position. Remember Tolzein and Seneca Wallace?

They are setting up their future frustration with Thompson. If he had just kept Hill on the 53 and dealt Hundley, then all would be right with the team and the world.

Because preseason seemed to teach a lot of Packer fans here and on the internet that Hill is a better QB than Hundley.

You see, now that Ted is signing FA defenders like Marty Hurney, there needs to be a new outlet.

pbmax
09-05-2017, 08:19 AM

The QBs who have garnered those kinds of picks normally have played some regular season games.

Fritz
09-05-2017, 11:08 AM
The QBs who have garnered those kinds of picks normally have played some regular season games.

Don't jinx this shit.

pbmax
09-05-2017, 11:13 AM
Don't jinx this shit.

There is always another sucker.

Patler
09-05-2017, 11:23 AM
Don't jinx this shit.

People worried about losing Hill should know that only once in the last 25 years has a third QB played meaningful snaps in GB.
Rodgers had a flurry of injuries early in his career, but has been quite solid since, save for an unfortunate broken collarbone.
I believe Rodgers has had no concussion issues since switching to the new helmet a number of years ago.
Rodgers also plays very effectively even when injured.
Losing their #2 QB for the season the week after losing Rodgers for many weeks a few years back was a freak occurrence, not likely to be seen again.

(Do you suppose Fackrell can play QB??)

ThunderDan
09-05-2017, 11:52 AM
People worried about losing Hill should know that only once in the last 25 years has a third QB played meaningful snaps in GB.
Rodgers had a flurry of injuries early in his career, but has been quite solid since, save for an unfortunate broken collarbone.
I believe Rodgers has had no concussion issues since switching to the new helmet a number of years ago.
Losing their #2 QB for the season the week after losing Rodgers for many weeks a few years back was a freak occurrence, not likely to be seen again.

Also to add, to the relief of the TT drafts and signs injury prone players fans:
In 2014 suffered a season ending leg ending in game 5.
In 2015 suffered a season ending foot injury in game 1.

Taysom Hill is soft and weak no matter how well he played against 3rd and 4th stringers this preseason.

ThunderDan
09-05-2017, 12:02 PM
Also to add, to the relief of the TT drafts and signs injury prone players fans:

Taysom Hill is soft and weak no matter how well he played against 3rd and 4th stringers this preseason.

And now after going to the BYU website we learn:
Ended 2016 with a elbow injury during last game of the regular season and was done for the year. Did not play in BYU's bowl game.
2012 played in 6 games, starting 2, before injuring his knee and being out for the rest of the year.

Only in 2013 did he play a full season.

ThunderDan
09-05-2017, 12:03 PM

DP

mraynrand
09-05-2017, 12:31 PM
Only in 2013 did he play a full season.

Injury prone!

MadScientist
09-05-2017, 06:10 PM
[QUOTE=Patler;936405]People worried about losing Hill should know that only once in the last 25 years has a third QB played meaningful snaps in GB.QUOTE]

Not true, besides the many games by 3rd (and 4th) string QB's in 2013, there were some particularly meaningful snaps (especially the infamous one) in 1995.

woodbuck27
09-06-2017, 12:12 PM
[QUOTE=Patler;936405]People worried about losing Hill should know that only once in the last 25 years has a third QB played meaningful snaps in GB.QUOTE]

Not true, besides the many games by 3rd (and 4th) string QB's in 2013, there were some particularly meaningful snaps (especially the infamous one) in 1995.

You have me suspended in suspense.

" (especially the infamous one) in 1995. " MadScientist

That one slips me ! Can you elaborate please.

Patler
09-06-2017, 12:30 PM
[QUOTE=MadScientist;936437]

You have me suspended in suspense.

" (especially the infamous one) in 1995. " MadScientist

That one slips me ! Can you elaborate please.

I imagine he is referring to TJ Rubely's infamous pass. But I don't view his 6 pass attempts as representative of particularly meaningful snaps, even though one of the pass attempts cost the game and his career in GB. Any one snap can have significance, but there are ways to provide for a handful of 3rd QB snaps without worrying about who a third QB is. After all, the 3rd and 4th QBs had all of 7 total pass attempts in 1995.

woodbuck27
09-06-2017, 12:38 PM
[QUOTE=woodbuck27;936526]

I imagine he is referring to TJ Rubely's infamous pass. But I don't view his 6 pass attempts as representative of particularly meaningful snaps, even though one of the pass attempts cost the game and his career in GB. Any one snap can have significance, but there are ways to provide for a handful of 3rd QB snaps without worrying about who a third QB is. After all, the 3rd and 4th QBs had all of 7 total pass attempts in 1995.

OK right and thanks Patler.

MadScientist
09-06-2017, 01:00 PM

Yes, I just didn't want to bring back the pain associated with the name. Given that the snaps decided the game, they were meaningful, just as if he pulled a Favre-esq last second win in that game. On the other hand Craig Nall threw 15 passes against Detroit in a 34-13 win in 2007, including a touchdown and no ints. Those passes were not meaningful.

woodbuck27
09-06-2017, 04:06 PM
Yes, I just didn't want to bring back the pain associated with the name. Given that the snaps decided the game, they were meaningful, just as if he pulled a Favre-esq last second win in that game. On the other hand Craig Nall threw 15 passes against Detroit in a 34-13 win in 2007, including a touchdown and no ints. Those passes were not meaningful.

Gheeezz ! Being a Senior has extreme challenges.

I had to think who Craig Nall was and Packers.

Fritz
09-06-2017, 05:07 PM

Now you jinxed us for sure.

Bretsky
09-06-2017, 07:43 PM

BINGO

Patler
09-07-2017, 10:43 AM
Now you jinxed us for sure.

I'm really a closet Viking fan. :-)

(I threw-up in my mouth a little just typing that.)

mraynrand
09-07-2017, 01:37 PM

And that little nagging calf injury which kept him off the 'hands team' for onside kicks.