PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: Week 1 vs. Seattle

pbmax
09-10-2017, 06:48 PM
As I posted in Game day thread, win today over Seachickens takes some pressure off road game next week versus Failcons.

I read that Randall had cramps (but went back into game at some point), Brooks was being looked at for a concussion and I missed the third listing.

Updates and press conference stuff to come tonight.

Today's Words of Wisdom:

Michelle Bruton @Michelle_NFL
Invoking a penalty defending your QB is permissible if you can make up the yards on a subsequent play. :mrgreen:

pbmax
09-10-2017, 06:51 PM
Zachary Jacobson‏ @ZachAJacobson 3m3 minutes ago
#Packers injury updates. OLB Ahmad Brooks does have a concussion, CB Damarious Randall had cramps and Jason Spriggs has a hamstring injury.

I *think* I saw Randall come back in after the graphic, but I may have the timing off.

King replaced Randall. And I was not the only person who saw Randall back in.

Robert Zizzo‏ @robertzizzo 6m6 minutes ago
#Packers injury report: Ahmad Brooks concussion, Jason Spriggs hamstring. Damarious Randall and Ty Montgomery returned after injuries.

Joemailman
09-10-2017, 07:01 PM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Ron Wolf to Seahawks fan who tried to board press box elevator: "Have a nice trip home."

Zool
09-10-2017, 08:56 PM
There's a joke about cramps and Randall in there somewhere.

pbmax
09-10-2017, 08:58 PM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Ron Wolf to Seahawks fan who tried to board press box elevator: "Have a nice trip home."

Still feisty after all these years.

Thought about the late Seattle success passing. Two of them came against Randall, I think after he had cramps. So were they picking on an injured player or does he just not do well after an injury? Before that it was just about lock down. Seattle's biggest plays were one run and Wilson scrambling.

pbmax
09-10-2017, 09:08 PM
Green Bay Packers @packers 2h2 hours ago
McCarthy: I thought our defense played at an extremely high level...Very impressed. #SEAvsGB #GoPackGo

McCarthy: Good victory. Feels good to be 1-0. #SEAvsGB #GoPackGo

McCarthy on @Mike_Daniels76: I thought Mike was dominant. Seemed to be in the backfield all day. #SEAvsGB #GoPackGo

pbmax
09-10-2017, 09:09 PM
Green Bay Packers @packers 2h2 hours ago
Rodgers: The key to the game was our defense. The defense plays like that, we're going to be tough to beat. #SEAvsGB

Rodgers: These are the kind of wins you're thankful for come December & January. #SEAvsGB #GoPackGo

Joemailman
09-10-2017, 09:11 PM

Thought about the late Seattle success passing. Two of them came against Randall, I think after he had cramps. So were they picking on an injured player or does he just not do well after an injury? Before that it was just about lock down. Seattle's biggest plays were one run and Wilson scrambling.

They were both down the left sideline. I just think Randall's better in the slot. He reminds me of Casey Hayward.

pbmax
09-10-2017, 09:47 PM
Team Stats SS GB
First Downs 12 23
Passes for First 8 15
Rushes for First 3 7
Penalties for First 1 1
Third Down Efficiency 3-11 8-15
Fourth Down Efficiency 0-0 0-0
Total Yards 225 370
Total Plays 48 74
Avg Gain Per Play 4.7 5.0
Net Yards Rushing 90 84
Rushes 18 28
Yards Per Rush 5.0 3.0
Stat Name
Net Yards Passing 135 286
Comp-Att 14-27 28-42
Yards Per Pass 4.5 6.2
Times Sacked 3 4
Yds Lost To Sacks 23 25
Interceptions Thrown 0 1
Punts 6 5
Punt Average 45.8 45.2
Penalties 8 8
Penalty Yards 50 70
Fumbles 1 1
Fumbles Lost 1 0
Time of Possession 20:41 39:19

pbmax
09-11-2017, 08:41 AM
The Seahawks cost themselves over 7% of win probability on 4th downs vs. the Packers: 3.5% on 4th and goal at the 3 in the 3rd quarter down by 4 points, 3.1% on 4th and 2 from the GB 42 scoreless in the 1st quarter, and 1.1% on 4th and 3 from their own 44 down by 8 in the 4th quarter.

Brian Burke, ESPN Analytics

Joemailman
09-11-2017, 09:07 AM
Rodgers on INT: I didn't see him. And then he made me look really slow. (Shakes head).

Joemailman
09-11-2017, 10:03 AM
Interesting article about NFL getting tougher on "punches". http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/247962/why-nfl-officials-are-ejecting-players-who-dont-actually-throw-a-punch

hoosier
09-11-2017, 02:01 PM
The Seahawks cost themselves over 7% of win probability on 4th downs vs. the Packers: 3.5% on 4th and goal at the 3 in the 3rd quarter down by 4 points, 3.1% on 4th and 2 from the GB 42 scoreless in the 1st quarter, and 1.1% on 4th and 3 from their own 44 down by 8 in the 4th quarter.

Brian Burke, ESPN Analytics

Does he state what the WP cost would have been if Carroll had gone for it and failed on any of these? And how does one measure likelihood of converting/scoring in these situations? Generically? Or does one look at Packer defense's historical difficulty in containing mobile QBs, botching assignments and generally getting off the field on 3rd and 4th down?

pbmax
09-11-2017, 02:29 PM
Does he state what the WP cost would have been if Carroll had gone for it and failed on any of these? And how does one measure likelihood of converting/scoring in these situations? Generically? Or does one look at Packer defense's historical difficulty in containing mobile QBs, botching assignments and generally getting off the field on 3rd and 4th down?

Going from memory, but those WP models usually look at game specific situations, not team specific.

However, I bet Pete's calculation was that they were on the road and their 3rd down efficiency was 25% (3/12) so it wasn't their day with the O line getting mauled. Packers were 56% (9/16) on 3rd down.

pbmax
09-11-2017, 04:06 PM
Tom Silverstein‏ @TomSilverstein 10m10 minutes ago
McCarthy on Kyle Murphy: Played well for his first game. Has things to work on. He did a nice job for his first start.

McCarthy: We were not as clean as we would like to be. Our mechanics and tempo could have been better.

McCarthy: We didn't play our best game. Play calls I wish I had back. That's why you have a chance to correct it.

McCarthy: Pursuit and finish on defense was outstanding. Tells us, we're healthy. Also, that it's another year in the defense, experience.

McCarthy on return of Geronimo Allison from suspension: Not worried about his reintegration. We have some personnel decisions to make.

McCarthy said Mike Daniels and Nick Perry graded out the highest of the players on defense.

Joemailman
09-11-2017, 04:24 PM
Should Morgan Burnett still be listed as a SS? Kentrell Brice played 96% of defensive snaps. Burnett 100%. Jake Ryan 10%. Is Nitro now the Packers base defense?

pbmax
09-11-2017, 04:26 PM
Capers:

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 2m2 minutes ago
Dom Capers: We had outstanding effort, pursuit, finish. Like the way we started the game, three 3 and outs.

Capers: We still gave them four big plays, two in the 2-minute. Fortunately, played well in the red zone. Guys raised to the occasion.

Capers on nitro: Confident we can play the run out of it. It gives us a little more speed.

Capers: Daniels played more on third down. But saw what Mike did rushing. Hard to dispute what he did as a pass rusher.

Capers: Atlanta is a talented team playing in a new stadium. No. 1 offense in the NFL last year. They scored 28 points on NE in the 1st half

Bennett:

Green Bay Packers @packers 2m2 minutes ago
Edgar Bennett on #SEAvsGB: The last four possessions we did a really good job as far as overall execution.

Joemailman
09-11-2017, 04:33 PM
Daniels played 78% of snaps. Clark 76%. For big guys, is that too many snaps as the season wears on? By comparison, Sheldon Richardson played 66%. Jarran Reed 59%.

I suppose maybe those numbers go down once they get Dial inserted more.

vince
09-11-2017, 07:38 PM
Snap counts play into that. Seattle's D had 72 plays to defend and GB's 48 I think it was. 78% of 48 is 38. 66% of 72 is 47.

woodbuck27
09-11-2017, 07:44 PM
Interesting article about NFL getting tougher on "punches". http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/247962/why-nfl-officials-are-ejecting-players-who-dont-actually-throw-a-punch

They need to review their current definition of what a 'Punch' should look like or even resemble.

I looked at that bad call by the Officials that erased the Pick 6 Points over and over and over again and didn't see anything that looked like 'a Punch'; as I know it should look like.

Teamcheez1
09-11-2017, 07:48 PM
They need to review their current definition of what a 'Punch' should look like or even resemble.

I looked at that bad call by the Officials that erased the Pick 6 Points over and over and over again and didn't see anything that looked like 'a Punch'; as I know it should look like.

The rule states that throwing a forearm is the same as a punch. Not saying the call was correct, but throwing a forearm to someones's head, chin, neck, etc, can be interpreted the same as a punch with a fist. I would argue that you can do more damage with a hard forearm than trying to throw a punch in the NFL.

pbmax
09-11-2017, 09:30 PM
In a way that only the NFL can cross up its own signals, several people said that punching, including forearms to the opponent during extracurriculars, are going to be policed closely and that the 3 ejections during yesterday's game were part of this crackdown.

The funny part is that this was not on the list for points of emphasis this offseason, so teams didn't get the normal offseason/camp heads up.

Zool
09-11-2017, 11:14 PM
Wasn't sure if this belonged here or the still pursuing the dream thread. Nice tackle on punt coverage tonight by Banjo. Sherrels should have fair caught but still a nice tackle.

woodbuck27
09-11-2017, 11:27 PM

Or ...maybe he shouldn't have been put back into the game !?

woodbuck27
09-11-2017, 11:33 PM
Daniels played 78% of snaps. Clark 76%. For big guys, is that too many snaps as the season wears on? By comparison, Sheldon Richardson played 66%. Jarran Reed 59%.

Daniels did look winded on the sidelines.

bobblehead
09-12-2017, 01:04 AM

I think they make too big of a deal over snap counts now days. If a guy plays 45 plays vs. 55 plays I doubt it has an impact next week. You could argue they are less effective the last 10 or more likely to get injured, but I think a guy recovers from week to week about the same regardless of snap count.

RashanGary
09-12-2017, 02:57 AM
I've seen good things said by coaches and written about Kenny Clark and about Kentrell Brice. And two things I noticed with my own eyes was that Burnett and Daniels had the best games of their respective careers.

The growth of Clark and the dominance of Daniels makes the Nitro possible. Brice has 4.4 speed with good awareness and instincts and Burnett 4.5 speed with awesome awareness and instincts at this point in his career.

That Nitro defense is shaping up to be an excellent package! I can't wait to see more of dix and Brice and Burnett flying around inside!!!! Because they can all tackle! It's a great increase in speed from sideline to sideline with little drop off in tackling because the three safeties are such strong tacklers. It's also a good run defense because of our big uglys up front and the speed and awareness behind them. Burnett brings a Woodson-esq presence when he's at LB. He's even closer to the action so his decision making and awareness are highlighted more! And at LB his speed and ability to match up are on display too! If he plays like he played Sunday, he's at a pro bowl level in my opinion. God, that was fun to watch!!!!

3irty1
09-12-2017, 08:03 AM

66% of the 70+ plays we ran on offense is not necessarily less than Daniels or Clark.

Its my understanding the snap counts are determined by analytics now. Algorithms put guys who are at a particular risk of injury on a snap count.

3irty1
09-12-2017, 08:14 AM
I've seen good things said by coaches and written about Kenny Clark and about Kentrell Brice. And two things I noticed with my own eyes was that Burnett and Daniels had the best games of their respective careers.

The growth of Clark and the dominance of Daniels makes the Nitro possible. Brice has 4.4 speed with good awareness and instincts and Burnett 4.5 speed with awesome awareness and instincts at this point in his career.

That Nitro defense is shaping up to be an excellent package! I can't wait to see more of dix and Brice and Burnett flying around inside!!!! Because they can all tackle! It's a great increase in speed from sideline to sideline with little drop off in tackling because the three safeties are such strong tacklers. It's also a good run defense because of our big uglys up front and the speed and awareness behind them. Burnett brings a Woodson-esq presence when he's at LB. He's even closer to the action so his decision making and awareness are highlighted more! And at LB his speed and ability to match up are on display too! If he plays like he played Sunday, he's at a pro bowl level in my opinion. God, that was fun to watch!!!!

I'm anxious to see the all-22 and figure out what is going on. We're blessed with some damn versatile safeties.

Teamcheez1
09-12-2017, 08:22 AM
I'm pretty sure that Morgan Burnett got caught inside on the Chris Carson 30 yard run. He also got caught up on a block when Russel Wilson scampered for another 30+ yards.

The safeties will help with some of the new packages, but we still need our LB's to improve and step up.

3irty1
09-12-2017, 08:42 AM
In addition to the Nitro, it looked like whenever Fackrell was in there he was supposed to spy Wilson. And for being SS, it didnt seem like Brice was playing downhill all that often either which means a lot of 7 in the box.

Its like Capers looked at Graham and said if he counts as a tight end then all my safeties count as linebackers.

KYPack
09-12-2017, 09:14 AM
In addition to the Nitro, it looked like whenever Fackrell was in there he was supposed to spy Wilson. And for being SS, it didnt seem like Brice was playing downhill all that often either which means a lot of 7 in the box.

Its like Capers looked at Graham and said if he counts as a tight end then all my safeties count as linebackers.

There was that one play where they omitted the spy and Wilson broke off 30. That was the end of a spyless D against Russ.

ThunderDan
09-12-2017, 09:17 AM
There was that one play where they omitted the spy and Wilson broke off 30. That was the end of a spyless D against Russ.

I am not sure on that. It looked like Burnett was the spy on that play.

3irty1
09-12-2017, 10:19 AM
Burnett did get lured out of position by something he saw. At the very least he got to first base with the dog on that play. If he was supposed to be a QB spy he really romanced the dog.

mraynrand
09-12-2017, 10:35 AM
I'm anxious to see the all-22 and figure out what is going on. We're blessed with some damn versatile safeties.

Where do you get all 22?

mraynrand
09-12-2017, 10:40 AM

It's a passing league. NITRO is just a smart adjustment. Capers and Trgo both told me that nickle is base. Packers can afford to give up more in the run game if they can stop the pass. Stubby will never change his core philosophy that he will win games on big plays from his offense and limiting the same with his defense.

3irty1
09-12-2017, 10:45 AM
Where do you get all 22?

I've got a friend who gets it through their work. I think its just NFL gamepass.

RashanGary
09-12-2017, 11:09 AM
Packers #1 on the NFL.com power rankings after week 1!

3irty1
09-12-2017, 11:12 AM
It's a passing league. NITRO is just a smart adjustment. Capers and Trgo both told me that nickle is base. Packers can afford to give up more in the run game if they can stop the pass. Stubby will never change his core philosophy that he will win games on big plays from his offense and limiting the same with his defense.

That's true, but every team can just run dime. The trick is to do things nobody else can. Seattle is a great example. Earl Thomas is maybe the only true center fielder in the whole league. Having a guy who can really do that allows your other safety to be a slow goon who is practically a linebacker. You can run what's almost a college defense 4-4 split, with cover 1 and cover 3 all the time in the NFL. Being the only one who can run a certain type of defense has a way of letting you capitalize on players who are viewed by the rest of the league as tweeners.

What the 2017 Packers seem to have is an embarrassment of riches at safety in a league with a considerable deficit of quality safeties. We use safeties to play safety, to play slot CB, and now LB. I assume the benefit here is that it allows us to make 3-down use from cheap 2-down players like Dial, Jean Francois, Brooks, Martinez, and Ryan. I need to see the all-22 to make a better theory than that.

hoosier
09-12-2017, 12:40 PM
Correct, NFL Gamepass has all-22, usually goes up about 48 hours after game ends. All for just $100 per year. But it does have its limits: even coaches film didn't capture the Adams/Lane tussle in its entirety.

Joemailman
09-15-2017, 04:58 PM
Marty Bennett fined $9115 for late hit. Jeremy Lane not fined. That likely means that at the very least the NFL felt the ejection was unjustified.

red
09-15-2017, 05:43 PM
a-rod will probably buy him a new car as thanks

Joemailman
09-15-2017, 05:53 PM
a-rod will probably buy him a new car as thanks

Probably a Ford Truck, insured by State Farm.

Smidgeon
09-15-2017, 07:15 PM
Marty Bennett fined $9115 for late hit. Jeremy Lane not fined. That likely means that at the very least the NFL felt the ejection was unjustified.

Or they felt the ejection was enough punishment.