PDA

View Full Version : Studs & Duds - Packers vs. Seahawks

Joemailman
09-10-2017, 06:58 PM
Studs

Mike Daniels - Pretty Much Unblockable.

Morgan Burnett - Excellent overall, especially the play where he threw the receiver out of bounds for incompletion.

Dom Capers - He seems to have Russell Wilson's number.

Aaron Rodgers - Not a memorable game, but played really well in the 2nd half.

Randall Cobb - Tough catches all over the field.

Jordy Nelson - 7 catches and a TD.

Nick Perry - 1.5 sacks and good pressure overall.

Duds

Coverage and return units contributed to field position woes in 1st half.

Teamcheez1
09-10-2017, 07:10 PM
I would add:

Studs

Kyle Murphy - Wasn't great, but held his own against a tough Seattle defense in his first start
The defense - Had some lapses but played very well

Duds:

MM's clock management at the end of the first half
Fat Eddie - Gorging on concession stand bratwurst before the game and it showed
Aikman and Buck - Their anti-Packer bias was in full display today. Sticking up for Peter Carroll under any circumstances is wrong.

Maxie the Taxi
09-10-2017, 07:18 PM
I want to put in a good word for Fackrell. Had a great fumble recovery and had one or two key pressures.

Joemailman
09-10-2017, 07:19 PM
I would add:

Studs

Kyle Murphy - Wasn't great, but held his own against a tough Seattle defense in his first start
The defense - Had some lapses but played very well

Duds:

MM's clock management at the end of the first half
Fat Eddie - Gorging on concession stand bratwurst before the game and it showed

Stud: Bratwurst Guy.

I now cringe when MM calls a timeout right before the half because he thinks he's gonna get the ball back.

ND72
09-10-2017, 07:32 PM
STUD:
Vogel - had some really nice punts...one out of the end zone went past the 50, that's huge!
Daniels - played like a man
Perry - Keeps getting better
DB's - Had 1 bad series in the 1st half, but other than that, solid. swarm tackling, aggressive to the ball. I liked it.
Murphy - Can't compliment a 2nd year player who never sniffed the field last year enough for what he did.
Martellus Bennett - I don't care if it was cheap, he stood up for his QB at the end to he game. brings an attitude this team needs.
Nelson/Cobb/Adams- Doin what they do.
Montgomery - Not flashy, but almost 60 yards rushing and almost 40 receiving...if he averaged that all year I think he is real dangerous.
Rodgers - 1st half bad, but looked ready in 2nd half.

Duds...

Refs - Weird game.

To any Florida people, stay safe! Blessed to have planned to have our friends here today to watch the game with us from near Naples, Florida. They are lucky to have gotten out, but prayers up to all those down there, and still those in Texas and the area.

Bossman641
09-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Duds - troy and buck for bringing up the 'bad' calls about ten times. they sounded like bitching fans rather than announcers

Joemailman
09-10-2017, 07:58 PM
Duds - troy and buck for bringing up the 'bad' calls about ten times. they sounded like bitching fans rather than announcers

They don't usually bother me the way they do some people. Today though was an exception.

Rutnstrut
09-10-2017, 08:14 PM
Dud kind of-Clay, never really heard his name all day.

texaspackerbacker
09-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Studs: Rodgers, Montgomery, Cobb, Nelson, Daniels, Perry, Randall, Rollins, Capers

Duds: no Packers in a major way; Josh Jones was dangerously out of position as end man on at least two kick offs, Jahri Evans - not as good as I had hoped, Kendricks - sorry, but I like Richard Rodgers better than him

vince
09-10-2017, 09:09 PM
What a beautiful game. Who's supposed to be the bad-asses and who are the softies again?

Rodgers 28/42/311 - and the masterful TD to Nelson after yet another fake-huddle quick-snap 12-men-on-the-field opportunity. He was holding the ball too long in the first half and that mostly ended in the second half when they remembered that the quick-release timing plays are the way to get things going.

How about that 9-minute offense to close out the game? Against Seattle's D? Epic. When this team gets leads, they don't lose - and they've got all the tools to be better than ever.

Monty with the BEASTLY catch and then run through Thomas’ tackle attempt. 95 HUGE all-purpose yards and a powerful goalline TD – a bunch of big plays at clutch times that were difference makers in that game.

Williams had a couple nice runs to move the chains in his limited action.

Cobb and Nelson showed they know how to make big first-down catches and had big days.

Cobb 9 for 85 yds.
Nelson 7 for 79 and a TD.

It seemed like all 16 of 'em were clutch too.

And I’d say Marty B. earned himself some serious trust points with Rodgers with 3/43 - including the big-gain for the dagger. And then he goes after guy who had the audacity to hit Rodgers downfield. Dumb play by itself but that’s the kind of don’t-fuck-with-us attitude that guys rally around – and that great teams tend to have.

Adams can separate from press coverage with the best of ‘em. He threw arguably the best press cover-corner in the league - Sherman for a loop on that slant in the 2nd half. Who can stop that if not Sherman? More quick slants in his future. 4/39. He’ll have his plays this year but APRH he could be the guy whose opportunities are sacrificed by fact that there are more playmakers than ever and still only one ball.

And how about Daniels? Holy shit. He just decided it was time for him to single-handedly take that game over. 7 tackles (5 solo – all of which he seemed to throw the poor schmucks trying to block him to the side - 1.5 sacks and the forced fumble that basically won the game. Fack showed his athleticism snatching the hot potato coming his way. How many times have we seen guys fail to recover balls just lying there?

Perry was physically dominant too. 1.5 sacks and he had to have 4 or 5 pressures on top of that. The whole front 7 had Wilson watching them and trying to avoid getting pounded for most of that game.

And they dominated Seattle’s run game. Other than the one really nice cutback by Carson where he escaped 4 or 5 guys to the outside for 30 yards and the Wilson scramble for 29 - Seattle’s other 16 attempts got them a whopping 31 yards.

Jake Ryan got taken off the field in the 2nd half because they made Seattle so one-dimensional after getting the lead, but he set the tone early with some pounding tackles stuffing the run early.

Eddie Lacy might be done running behind that line. He can’t make people miss quickly enough. I think Carson and Rawls are gonna be their guys.

House gave up some plays I thought. And he was lucky they couldn’t connect a few more times. Randall and Rollins both had tight coverage all day I thought and both tackled well. Rollins had 8 tackles (4 solo) and Randall had 6 – all solo.

And the safeties were all over the place. It seemed like there was about 10 of them out there. Burnett, Clinton-Dix, and Bryce - active and everywhere - In the box, at the line of scrimmage, big hits down the deep sideline, breaking up 3rd down passes down the middle against bigger TE’s at the sticks, denying Jimmy Graham in the endzone, knocking balls out in the back of the endzone.... Jimmy Graham had a whopping 3 cathces for 8 yards today. Nullified.

Josh Jones can’t contain himself on kickoff coverage. Too young and aggressive and lost his contain twice for sure. He’ll figure that out though, and he’s going to add to this safety group’s ability to control games as the season goes on.

……………......……….Seattle………..Green Bay
First Downs.......……12…………………26
……by Rushing….......3………………….8
…...by Passing......….8……………….16
…..by Penalty.......….1………………..2
3rd Down Efficiency….3/12…..9/16
Total Net Yards……..225…………..370
# Plays……........……48………………..72
Rushing Plays…......18………………28
Runs for Loss..……4 for -9……..1 for -1
Passing Yds…….....158……………..311
Sacks Allowed…..3 for 23 yds……4 for 24 yds. – all in 1st Half
Touchdowns.......……0……...........2
Time of Possession.20:47………………39:13

Other than the offensive ineffectiveness in the first half (that’s a serious defensive unit) which they remembered how to overcome in the 2nd half by getting the ball out quicker and in rhythm - and a couple big plays the defense allowed that helped Seattle get into field goal range – that was a serious can of whoop ass Seattle got themselves sprayed all over with. It’ll be interesting to see how often that happens to that offensive line – offensive being the operative word - by other defenses this year. I assume they’ll get better, but that was quite the ass-kicking.

Atlanta’s offense obviously won’t be quite that shitty. I’d say the Packers match up a ton better with Atlanta this year though – at least up the middle of the field - with all those safeties playing everywhere. Not sure how they hang with Jones, Sanu, etc. outside though. House better sharpen up his game. King will eventually be a much better match-up, but I fear for his safety next week.

No better test for a defense that will have a little swagger going in. We’ll see pretty quick if it’s real of fake I'd say.

Bretsky
09-10-2017, 09:15 PM
STUDS: REFS...........We undoubtedly got the calls today...which IMO never happens........they really F'cked up the TD for Seattle and it was a huge gamechanger

pbmax
09-10-2017, 09:15 PM
I second ND72's nomination of Vogel. He was backed up a couple of times and hit no duds. He allowed 1 return of 5 punts, though there was one other moon shot he hit that could have been returned.

Kid looks good so far. 42 Net is great is they have less than 20 returns for the season.

Fackrell was active, more than he was in preseason. Still not a force at getting quick pressure, he has a nose for the ball and being in position. Would have loved to see more of Brooks.

Murphy held up better than I expected. And he seemed to get better.

pbmax
09-10-2017, 09:17 PM
STUDS: REFS...........We undoubtedly got the calls today...which IMO never happens........they really F'cked up the TD for Seattle and it was a huge gamechanger

You throw a punch and you get a flag. There is no need to apologize for that call. And Rodgers probably tackles that guy of he doesn't get shoved off line by the block in the back.

The non DPI was worse than both. But they were calling grabbing much in either secondary, which actually plays to Seattle's strengths.

Harlan Huckleby
09-10-2017, 09:29 PM
Jahri Evans - not as good as I had hoped

That was the one fly in the ointment for me. Man, if that guy is the starter, how bad are the backups?

Maybe we got spoiled last year having 6 good linemen.

Harlan Huckleby
09-10-2017, 09:30 PM
You throw a punch and you get a flag.

I didn't see a punch.

Harlan Huckleby
09-10-2017, 09:36 PM
Eddie Lacy might be done running behind that line. He can’t make people miss quickly enough. I think Carson and Rawls are gonna be their guys.

It's only one game, but the guy is a dead weight. I'm glad he's not the Packer's problem anymore.

KYPack
09-10-2017, 09:54 PM
Solid review, Vince. Like all your work, great.

What happened to Brooks? Concussion protocol? When did he get hit? He must have delivered a blow somewhere, where was it?

Not a great game, but there was some slobberknockin' goin on out there. Fair amount of bad blood flowing btw the two ballclubs.

Bretsky
09-10-2017, 10:34 PM
You throw a punch and you get a flag. There is no need to apologize for that call. And Rodgers probably tackles that guy of he doesn't get shoved off line by the block in the back.

The non DPI was worse than both. But they were calling grabbing much in either secondary, which actually plays to Seattle's strengths.

HAVING FLASHBACKS TO CRIS CARTER

COME ON MAN

Adams deserved every bit of a penalty as the dude who got one. You don't throw a punch and you get a flag; that is my interpretation. And Rogers go marginally pushed in the shoulder. The NFL guy Perarra sp? who does everything h can to protect his old buddies even said both calls were poor.

Don't get me wrong...........I'll take em and be happy about it...VERY HAPPY

I'm thankful

THE DPI's wee bad too but I could argue against those and say balls were uncatchable. I have a hard time doing anything but grinning in thanks at the INT calls.

Bretsky
09-10-2017, 10:35 PM
The rookie RB from Seattle looked a lot better than Lacy

Zool
09-10-2017, 10:42 PM
The rookie RB from Seattle looked a lot better than Lacy

I would have looked better than Feast Mode.

bobblehead
09-11-2017, 12:05 AM
. And Rogers go marginally pushed in the shoulder. The NFL guy Perarra sp? who does everything h can to protect his old buddies even said both calls were poor.

A guy reaches out with 2 hands and pushes a player in the back and its a bad call?? Seriously? That is textbook easy as pie to call absolute no brainer. A stupid penalty to be sure, but it gets called every single time on any return of a punt or kick.

The one I had a beef with was the taunting on Cobb. After watching Seattle and SF taunt our guys for how many damn seasons while I scream "wheres the flag" they called that ticky tack bullshit?

bobblehead
09-11-2017, 12:07 AM
Oh, and DUD--M3. After daring to dream that we would run against the nickel and exploit our dual threat TEs we continually split them out and passed into the dime on 2nd and 10. Then late in the game when Seattle stacked 8 in the box we ran into it as MM loves to do. The play action was so out of character that Penn and Teller called and said they are putting into their show.

texaspackerbacker
09-11-2017, 01:25 AM

The pass interference that they missed when Adams got hit was far more obvious than the one in the corner of the end zone. Did you see the Seattle receiver grab the head of the Packer DB and pull him into his body? I would think THAT was the reason for the no-call. Not a word about that or the Adams interference by the incompetent fag commentators.

And the pick 6 that got taken away was clearly a legitimate call too - the push in the back of Rodgers chasing the guy who intercepted the pass.

texaspackerbacker
09-11-2017, 01:32 AM
I second ND72's nomination of Vogel. He was backed up a couple of times and hit no duds. He allowed 1 return of 5 punts, though there was one other moon shot he hit that could have been returned.

Kid looks good so far. 42 Net is great is they have less than 20 returns for the season.

Fackrell was active, more than he was in preseason. Still not a force at getting quick pressure, he has a nose for the ball and being in position. Would have loved to see more of Brooks.

Murphy held up better than I expected. And he seemed to get better.

All true - Vogel was excellent. Murphy wasn't hopeless going against an excellent D Line. And Fackrell did his job in the scheme - about all you can ask of a back up.

I never even saw Brooks hit the field, and I was surprised to see it written on the screen that he got the concussion.

Fritz
09-11-2017, 05:50 AM
Solid review, Vince. Like all your work, great.

What happened to Brooks? Concussion protocol? When did he get hit? He must have delivered a blow somewhere, where was it?

Not a great game, but there was some slobberknockin' goin on out there. Fair amount of bad blood flowing btw the two ballclubs.

I had to miss most of the 1st half and third quarter, was wondering about the injuries. Hope Brooks doesn't miss too much time.

Glad to hear Vogel passed the first test. And glad to hear frickin' Fackrell did something.

arcilite
09-11-2017, 06:15 AM
Duds: the fans. Doing a loud 'go pack go' chant in the 4th quarter when the offense is on the field? the hell is wrong with them.

PS. Go check reddit and I get reminded why I hate the Packer subreddit so much (besides the constant baby + dog pics), there is a thread where people are actually defending the chanting in the game. No wonder that place is garbage.

pbmax
09-11-2017, 07:17 AM
Oh, and DUD--M3. After daring to dream that we would run against the nickel and exploit our dual threat TEs we continually split them out and passed into the dime on 2nd and 10. Then late in the game when Seattle stacked 8 in the box we ran into it as MM loves to do. The play action was so out of character that Penn and Teller called and said they are putting into their show.

Good one. It might have been my favorite call of the day. Those 1st and 2nd round runs into stacked boxes were my least.

But I did like some of the routes early in the game. Really seemed to work to get Bennett/Kendricks and Cobb open in or at least from the middle of the field.

pbmax
09-11-2017, 07:18 AM
Duds: the fans. Doing a loud 'go pack go' chant in the 4th quarter when the offense is on the field? the hell is wrong with them.

PS. Go check reddit and I get reminded why I hate the Packer subreddit so much (besides the constant baby + dog pics), there is a thread where people are actually defending the chanting in the game. No wonder that place is garbage.

Wrong as that is, at least they got excited about something. Several times earlier in the game it was dead quiet.

mission
09-11-2017, 08:06 AM
I didn't see a punch.

You also never saw the complete play. Every time they started showing the replay, they cut it off before its completion. The longest playback showed Lane first pushing Adams' head down with his forearm and then slamming his head back down into the turf after that with the same forearm. Maybe that was enough for the ejection, maybe something happened after that, but you didn't see it and I didn't see it. And neither did those idiots Troy and Buck.

hoosier
09-11-2017, 08:26 AM

Yeah, I was kind of surprised by the quiet crowd. After the Daniels strip sack they were just kind of sitting on their hands. Was it the Milwaukee tix package?

pbmax
09-11-2017, 08:43 AM
Wait a minute, Wilde just said they were doing the wave while they have the ball. Is that true?

3irty1
09-11-2017, 08:46 AM
Perfect weekend for WI sports. Brewers sweep the Cubs in Wriggly and then the Packers beat the Seahawks in satisfying fashion.

Studs:
Rodgers-to-Nelson. The only thing more satisfying than Seattle getting a 12 men on the field penalty is when we score a TD off it.

Mike Daniels + Nick Perry. Reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYW0_34s5ac

Morgan Burnett was everywhere.

Ty Montgomery is just a one man offense. Weird to see a RB wearing 88. Its incredible he's got the vision that he does. Count pass blocking among his long list of talents.

When guys have trouble getting open its going to be real nice to have Bennett out there who you can complete passes to anyways.

Duds:
Refs were bad and the Packers got away with major shit. When Pete Carrol calls the league office to complain he should just get a recording of the fail mary audio.

MM should have kept the beard.

Vince Biegel is nursing a foot while TJ Watt gets 2 sacks and an Int in his first game. God damnit Vince get out there and show who is the better Badger.

Pete Carrol's dumb fucking face.

Joemailman
09-11-2017, 08:56 AM
Yeah, I was kind of surprised by the quiet crowd. After the Daniels strip sack they were just kind of sitting on their hands. Was it the Milwaukee tix package?

Wait a minute, Wilde just said they were doing the wave while they have the ball. Is that true?

Yes. And no, it was not a Milwaukee tix game.

SkinBasket
09-11-2017, 09:03 AM

I second that emotion.

I know some people don't like the calls on the INT return, but you have to remember they had just called Cobb for some rather mundane post play talking. The officials made it clear from the get-go that they were not going to tolerate all the hormonal vag rage both teams seemed to have pent up. The push in the back is a no-brainer. The official sees hands push the back of a jersey - much less the only player with a chance to make a play - and that's going to be a flag every time. The fore arm seemed to be just as much about the continued attempt to choke Adams out on the ground as it was about the initial pussy strike.

I got tired of the pulling and grabbing by the DBs of both teams more than anything though. Weak.

ThunderDan
09-11-2017, 09:16 AM
A guy reaches out with 2 hands and pushes a player in the back and its a bad call?? Seriously? That is textbook easy as pie to call absolute no brainer. A stupid penalty to be sure, but it gets called every single time on any return of a punt or kick.

The one I had a beef with was the taunting on Cobb. After watching Seattle and SF taunt our guys for how many damn seasons while I scream "wheres the flag" they called that ticky tack bullshit?

Dez Bryant did the same thing that Cobb did in the late game and no call was made.

RashanGary
09-11-2017, 09:32 AM
Mike Daniels had the most dominant non qb performance I've seen in ten years of Packer football. Wow. Woodson and Collins had some days. Matthews has had some games. But this was the best I've seen from a packer maybe since Reggie.

RashanGary
09-11-2017, 09:34 AM
So glad to see the corners and Clark and the nitro defense play well. If we play a solid game against Atlanta on the road, our defense is looking like they could be legit!!!

RashanGary
09-11-2017, 09:40 AM
Nick Perry was a beast too! Just wow!!! We have some playmakers peaking on defense!

Daniels
Perry
Clinton dix
Burnett (at ILB)
Matthews (he'll make plays this year)

And we've got a slew of guys who could really come into their own! Randall and House played great! Rollins played well too! It's a completely different secondary now, healthy and with House. Clark looked strong and honestly, he's still 21 years old and a year away from really being who he is. But he's solid in there. Helps Daniels a lot!

Man, I'm excited!!

pbmax
09-11-2017, 09:42 AM
So glad to see the corners and Clark and the nitro defense play well. If we play a solid game against Atlanta on the road, our defense is looking like they could be legit!!!

Writeup on Nitro from Sunday's game: http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2017/09/10/dougherty-packers-nitro-package-proves-effective-against-run/644855001/

Joemailman
09-11-2017, 09:49 AM
Writeup on Nitro from Sunday's game: http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2017/09/10/dougherty-packers-nitro-package-proves-effective-against-run/644855001/

It will be interesting next week. Atlanta is exactly the kind of team that the Nitro was designed to stop.

RashanGary
09-11-2017, 09:52 AM
Brice becoming a legit NFL safety, Clark and Lowry becoming men (plus the addition of the vet relief DL we brought in), Daniels being a super hero and Burnett being so versatile and smart makes the Nitro defense possible. It's one of those things where the right pieces just fit together the right way!

It's like Collins speed covering the whole back end allowed peprah and Woodson to do whatever they wanted inside...... the strength of the DL now and the depth of our safety group is making the speed of this Nitro defense possible.

Can't wait!!!!!!

gbgary
09-11-2017, 10:03 AM
studs: the entire d...no one played less than a good game. cobb, ty, jordy.

duds: mm's play calling. started and finished with short passing game working but totally got away from it in between time. during that time Rodgers was holding the ball too long, taking hits he didn't need to take, played into sea's strength.

Bossman641
09-11-2017, 10:27 AM
That was the one fly in the ointment for me. Man, if that guy is the starter, how bad are the backups?

Maybe we got spoiled last year having 6 good linemen.

Interestingly enough...Evans graded out as one of the Packers top 5 performances by PFF. I've never really followed their ratings in the past so I can't comment on how they are calculated...just passing along the info.

TOP 5 GRADES:
Edge Nick Perry, 89.8 overall grade

LB Blake Martinez, 87.0 overall grade

DI Mike Daniels, 86.6 overall grade

WR Jordy Nelson, 81.8 overall grade

RG Jahri Evans, 79.1 overall grade

pbmax
09-11-2017, 10:31 AM
Brice becoming a legit NFL safety, Clark and Lowry becoming men (plus the addition of the vet relief DL we brought in), Daniels being a super hero and Burnett being so versatile and smart makes the Nitro defense possible. It's one of those things where the right pieces just fit together the right way!

It's like Collins speed covering the whole back end allowed peprah and Woodson to do whatever they wanted inside...... the strength of the DL now and the depth of our safety group is making the speed of this Nitro defense possible.

Can't wait!!!!!!

Agreed. The Dean Lowry Army should be proud of their founder.

Smidgeon
09-11-2017, 10:36 AM
You also never saw the complete play. Every time they started showing the replay, they cut it off before its completion. The longest playback showed Lane first pushing Adams' head down with his forearm and then slamming his head back down into the turf after that with the same forearm. Maybe that was enough for the ejection, maybe something happened after that, but you didn't see it and I didn't see it. And neither did those idiots Troy and Buck.

Not only that, but all the replays were in slow motion. It's easier to see some things in real time. Like the blocks in the back on the first Seattle kick off return and the one committed against Rodgers. In slow motion, neither looks like a legitimate call. Real time, even I caught them. And the announcers kept going back to them as bad calls.

I wanted to see the punch real time to see how forceful that forearm to the face was, but they never showed it.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2017, 10:36 AM
so I can't comment on how they are calculated...just passing along the info.

It must be like golf - low score wins - otherwise my scouting skills would be called into question.

Smidgeon
09-11-2017, 10:41 AM
Perfect weekend for WI sports. Brewers sweep the Cubs in Wriggly and then the Packers beat the Seahawks in satisfying fashion.

Studs:
Rodgers-to-Nelson. The only thing more satisfying than Seattle getting a 12 men on the field penalty is when we score a TD off it.

Mike Daniels + Nick Perry. Reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYW0_34s5ac

Morgan Burnett was everywhere.

Ty Montgomery is just a one man offense. Weird to see a RB wearing 88. Its incredible he's got the vision that he does. Count pass blocking among his long list of talents.

When guys have trouble getting open its going to be real nice to have Bennett out there who you can complete passes to anyways.

Duds:
Refs were bad and the Packers got away with major shit. When Pete Carrol calls the league office to complain he should just get a recording of the fail mary audio.

MM should have kept the beard.

Vince Biegel is nursing a foot while TJ Watt gets 2 sacks and an Int in his first game. God damnit Vince get out there and show who is the better Badger.

Do you think Biegel is better than Watt?

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2017, 10:43 AM
Do you think Biegel is better than Watt?

Keep questions like that to yourself.

Smidgeon
09-11-2017, 10:44 AM
Interestingly enough...Evans graded out as one of the Packers top 5 performances by PFF. I've never really followed their ratings in the past so I can't comment on how they are calculated...just passing along the info.

TOP 5 GRADES:

Martinez graded higher than Daniels? Did Daniels have some bad plays too and Martinez was always assignment perfect?

KYPack
09-11-2017, 10:51 AM
Evans played well. He had trouble with Richardson, so does the whole league. He won more battles than he lost and Richardson had no sacks.

Brooks had one solo tackle before he went out with the concussion. Couldn't find a snap log on him, but somebody will dig that out.

I almost hate to complain about Troy and Buck, but God, they suck. There was no mention of Brooks play, his concussion when it happened, nothin'. At the end of the game, me and a knot of Packer fans were cheering our victory after the 2 minute warning. These luke warm Seattle fans were saying "It isn't over yet"! We had to explain to 'em that GB was just going to kneel out the win. Shouldn't Aikman and Buck have mumbled something about that so the audience would know what's happening?

texaspackerbacker
09-11-2017, 11:06 AM
Regarding the Biegel/Watt comparison, it would be a real stretch to say Biegel is better, considering the NFL start Watt has gotten off to. However, the last time both were healthy - Biegel's junior year, Biegel outplayed Watt. Probably Watt has improved a lot since then, but I'm still hopeful that Biegel will be a big timer. Look at Jalen Smith; The Cowboys risked a second round pick and waited a whole year for him. Possibly the Biegel situation is similar for the Packers.

Fritz
09-11-2017, 11:26 AM
Agreed. The Dean Lowry Army should be proud of their founder.

Well, we would have been up in arms if he hadn't played well.

As for the Packers' fans chanting "Go Pack Go" toward the end of the game when the Packers were on offense, the strangest part, to me, was seeing Jordy Nelson trot out wide left, waving his arms up and down, like he was trying to get the fans going.

Unless that was his special signal to Rodgers that he was goin' deep.

Carolina_Packer
09-11-2017, 11:31 AM
Winner: Me and my son. We don't have Sunday Ticket, and the Panthers are going to pre-empt the Game of the Week in North Carolina (possibly even SC), so we went to a local wing place, downed some delicious wings, and watched the Packer game with no sound, except from the Panther game.

Loser: The lack of offensive diversity in the first half. I wonder how many rushing attempts there were in the first half with 4 sacks and probably just as many pressures? The variety helped in the second half. Run right at those pass rushers!

Freak Out
09-11-2017, 11:34 AM
Studs - The D, the offense looked ok considering who they were up against and who is calling the plays. :)

Duds - Special Teams minus Crosby and M3. What the fuck was he doing calling TO's at the end of the first half?

Joemailman
09-11-2017, 11:41 AM
Studs - The D, the offense looked ok considering who they were up against and who is calling the plays. :)

Duds - Special Teams minus Crosby and M3. What the fuck was he doing calling TO's at the end of the first half?

He said the defense was dominating (true) and he wanted to get the ball back. It just never seems to work when he does that though.

ThunderDan
09-11-2017, 11:51 AM
He said the defense was dominating (true) and he wanted to get the ball back. It just never seems to work when he does that though.

Also, we only had 2 timeouts. The best we could do was get the ball back with 15 seconds to go around mid-field with no timeouts. They should have let Seattle run out the clock.

vince
09-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Davis might take it to the house.

Plan B - Hail Mary works every time.

Unfortunately Plan C cost 3 points after two big gainers by Seattle - probably the only 2 they had in the first half.

Smidgeon
09-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Also, we only had 2 timeouts. The best we could do was get the ball back with 15 seconds to go around mid-field with no timeouts. They should have let Seattle run out the clock.

Depending on where they received the punt, they could have tried for a free kick. I was thinking that was the only possible outcome for points.

ThunderDan
09-11-2017, 12:15 PM
Depending on where they received the punt, they could have tried for a free kick. I was thinking that was the only possible outcome for points.

That quickly ran through my mind but we were kicking into the wind at that point.

gbgary
09-11-2017, 12:27 PM
What the fuck was he doing calling TO's at the end of the first half?

no problem with the strategy but it never seems to work out for him.

woodbuck27
09-11-2017, 01:04 PM
They don't usually bother me the way they do some people. Today though was an exception.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/rwMUwyTri04/maxresdefault.jpg

Buck:I agree Troy

Troy:Well of course Buck.

Buck:I agree Troy

woodbuck27
09-11-2017, 01:09 PM
What a beautiful game. Who's supposed to be the bad-asses and who are the softies again?

Rodgers 28/42/311 - and the masterful TD to Nelson after yet another fake-huddle quick-snap 12-men-on-the-field opportunity. He was holding the ball too long in the first half and that mostly ended in the second half when they remembered that the quick-release timing plays are the way to get things going.

How about that 9-minute offense to close out the game? Against Seattle's D? Epic. When this team gets leads, they don't lose - and they've got all the tools to be better than ever.

Monty with the BEASTLY catch and then run through Thomas’ tackle attempt. 95 HUGE all-purpose yards and a powerful goalline TD – a bunch of big plays at clutch times that were difference makers in that game.

Williams had a couple nice runs to move the chains in his limited action.

Cobb and Nelson showed they know how to make big first-down catches and had big days.

Cobb 9 for 85 yds.
Nelson 7 for 79 and a TD.

It seemed like all 16 of 'em were clutch too.

And I’d say Marty B. earned himself some serious trust points with Rodgers with 3/43 - including the big-gain for the dagger. And then he goes after guy who had the audacity to hit Rodgers downfield. Dumb play by itself but that’s the kind of don’t-fuck-with-us attitude that guys rally around – and that great teams tend to have.

Adams can separate from press coverage with the best of ‘em. He threw arguably the best press cover-corner in the league - Sherman for a loop on that slant in the 2nd half. Who can stop that if not Sherman? More quick slants in his future. 4/39. He’ll have his plays this year but APRH he could be the guy whose opportunities are sacrificed by fact that there are more playmakers than ever and still only one ball.

And how about Daniels? Holy shit. He just decided it was time for him to single-handedly take that game over. 7 tackles (5 solo – all of which he seemed to throw the poor schmucks trying to block him to the side - 1.5 sacks and the forced fumble that basically won the game. Fack showed his athleticism snatching the hot potato coming his way. How many times have we seen guys fail to recover balls just lying there?

Perry was physically dominant too. 1.5 sacks and he had to have 4 or 5 pressures on top of that. The whole front 7 had Wilson watching them and trying to avoid getting pounded for most of that game.

And they dominated Seattle’s run game. Other than the one really nice cutback by Carson where he escaped 4 or 5 guys to the outside for 30 yards and the Wilson scramble for 29 - Seattle’s other 16 attempts got them a whopping 31 yards.

Jake Ryan got taken off the field in the 2nd half because they made Seattle so one-dimensional after getting the lead, but he set the tone early with some pounding tackles stuffing the run early.

House gave up some plays I thought. And he was lucky they couldn’t connect a few more times. Randall and Rollins both had tight coverage all day I thought and both tackled well. Rollins had 8 tackles (4 solo) and Randall had 6 – all solo.

And the safeties were all over the place. It seemed like there was about 10 of them out there. Burnett, Clinton-Dix, and Bryce - active and everywhere - In the box, at the line of scrimmage, big hits down the deep sideline, breaking up 3rd down passes down the middle against bigger TE’s at the sticks, denying Jimmy Graham in the endzone, knocking balls out in the back of the endzone.... Jimmy Graham had a whopping 3 cathces for 8 yards today. Nullified.

Josh Jones can’t contain himself on kickoff coverage. Too young and aggressive and lost his contain twice for sure. He’ll figure that out though, and he’s going to add to this safety group’s ability to control games as the season goes on.

……………......……….Seattle………..G reen Bay
First Downs.......……12…………………26
……by Rushing….......3………………….8
…...by Passing......….8……………….16
…..by Penalty.......….1………………..2
3rd Down Efficiency….3/12…..9/16
Total Net Yards……..225…………..370
# Plays……........……48………………..72
Rushing Plays…......18………………28
Runs for Loss..……4 for -9……..1 for -1
Passing Yds…….....158……………..311
Sacks Allowed…..3 for 23 yds……4 for 24 yds. – all in 1st Half
Touchdowns.......……0……...........2
Time of Possession.20:47………………39:13

Other than the offensive ineffectiveness in the first half (that’s a serious defensive unit) which they remembered how to overcome in the 2nd half by getting the ball out quicker and in rhythm - and a couple big plays the defense allowed that helped Seattle get into field goal range – that was a serious can of whoop ass Seattle got themselves sprayed all over with. It’ll be interesting to see how often that happens to that offensive line – offensive being the operative word - by other defenses this year. I assume they’ll get better, but that was quite the ass-kicking.

Atlanta’s offense obviously won’t be quite that shitty. I’d say the Packers match up a ton better with Atlanta this year though – at least up the middle of the field - with all those safeties playing everywhere. Not sure how they hang with Jones, Sanu, etc. outside though. House better sharpen up his game. King will eventually be a much better match-up, but I fear for his safety next week.

No better test for a defense that will have a little swagger going in. We’ll see pretty quick if it’s real of fake I'd say.

I think you covered it all....awesome Post Vince.

woodbuck27
09-11-2017, 01:12 PM

We caught a huge break right there because early the Packer 'O' was misfiring too much; as ARod was just trying toget settled in after so little Pre Season work.

woodbuck27
09-11-2017, 01:22 PM
I thought that Clay Matthews was next to invisible. He did make two (2) tackles.

Freak Out
09-11-2017, 02:21 PM
no problem with the strategy but it never seems to work out for him.

Ya...I hear ya but it just seemed like it was time to let the clock run out and go to the locker room. The D had played great up to that point but shit....give them a rest.

pbmax
09-11-2017, 02:30 PM
As yetisnowman (I think it was YSM) pointed out in the Game Day thread, M3 did not even have 3 TOs to stop the clock with. With only two, he might get one last play.

Anyone ask at press conference?

Joemailman
09-11-2017, 03:24 PM
As yetisnowman (I think it was YSM) pointed out in the Game Day thread, M3 did not even have 3 TOs to stop the clock with. With only two, he might get one last play.

Anyone ask at press conference?

Yes. MM defended the strategy. Said the defense was dominating, and he wanted to get the ball back. If you get the ball at midfield with :15, you do have a chance to complete a sideline pass to set up a long field goal. Both Nelson and Adams are pretty good at those. Interesting how many people here think MM was too aggressive when he could have let the clock run out.

ThunderDan
09-11-2017, 03:29 PM
Yes. MM defended the strategy. Said the defense was dominating, and he wanted to get the ball back. If you get the ball at midfield with :15, you do have a chance to complete a sideline pass to set up a long field goal. Both Nelson and Adams are pretty good at those. Interesting how many people here think MM was too aggressive when he could have let the clock run out.

I would be fine with the strategy if we had all 3 timeouts. I am fine when he has done that in the past with the other team backed up.

pbmax
09-11-2017, 03:39 PM

If he had three TOs, it might happen that way. But even with three, I don't like the TO on 3rd and three.

But with two, here is where you would be:

(:55) C.Prosise left end to SEA 10 for -1 yards (B.Martinez, Q.Rollins). Timeout #2 by GB at 00:48.

(:48) C.Prosise up the middle to SEA 18 for 8 yards (C.Matthews, D.House).
Timeout #3 by GB at 00:43

At 43 seconds after your last timeout, with 5-8 seconds for the play, the 40 second play clock for fourth down starts with 35 to 38 seconds to go. You literally cannot get the ball back. Even if a miracle happens and 4th down starts on 43 seconds left. All Jon Ryan has to do is call for the punt at 3 seconds and run backward to the 1.

The only hope is Seattle committing a penalty.

The downside is that now you defense is in the middle of the field trying to prevent long bombs, which always leads to shorter passes being open.

Joemailman
09-11-2017, 03:43 PM
If he had three TOs, it might happen that way. But even with three, I don't like the TO on 3rd and three.

(:55) C.Prosise left end to SEA 10 for -1 yards (B.Martinez, Q.Rollins). Timeout #2 by GB at 00:48.

At 43 seconds after your last timeout, with 5-8 seconds for the play, the 40 second play clock for fourth down starts with 35 to 38 seconds to go. You literally cannot get the ball back. Even if a miracle happens and 4th down starts on 43 seconds left. All Jon Ryan has to do is call for the punt at 3 seconds and run backward to the 1.

The downside is that now you defense is in the middle of the field trying to prevent long bombs, which always leads to shorter passes being open.

You think there's any chance MM forgot he had burned a timeout after the 1st play of the game?

Bossman641
09-11-2017, 03:43 PM

The problem is that the second down play ended (and the Packers took a TO) with 43 seconds left on the clock. A third down run was going to take at least 3 seconds; the 1st down and 2nd down runs both took 5 seconds off the clock, so Seattle would have been able to run out the clock anyways. MM's only chance was for Seattle to pass, the runner to fumble, or the runner to go out of bounds. It was stupid decision.

pbmax
09-11-2017, 03:55 PM
You think there's any chance MM forgot he had burned a timeout after the 1st play of the game?

Yep, there is a chance.

Or he could, as Bossman said, just be hoping for an error deep in their own territory. So I am on board using the TOs.

But not on first down and nor after the 8 yard gain.

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2017, 03:57 PM
It was dumb. Hopefully, he learns his lesson after taking time to think about it. The reporters should grill him more on it. Maybe that would help. It's not just the time though. I don't think you call the timeout after you just gave up 5 yards on a run and it 3rd and just 3.

pbmax
09-11-2017, 04:10 PM

TOP 5 GRADES:

Packers coaches did not agree, said Daniels and Perry graded out the best on Defense.

SMBASS
09-11-2017, 04:16 PM
Kind of like in last year's regular season Dallas game. Dallas was content with and trying to just run out the clock before half with a 10-6 lead when MM started calling timeouts and the D forgot how to tackle/went prevent. The Boys then proceeded to march right down the field and score a TD with .31 left before the half. It was a killer and completely changed the complexion of the game with it being 17-6 instead of 10-6 at the half. That tactic just never seems to work for us.

As others have pointed out, we didn't have 3 timeouts, Seattle only needed 2 yards for a first on 3rd down, the D had played great for the entire half up to that point so the rest would have done them good, we hadn't moved the ball very well all half, and we were due to get the ball to start the 2nd half. Under those circumstances I thought it was dumb to call those TO's and give the Hags any chance at all. I would have been content to go into the locker room at 0-0 and re-group. The way Ryan had been booming his punts and pinning us deep in our own territory the entire half why would you think we were going to end up with the ball anywhere near mid-field to begin with. I just didn't think anything was in our favor at that point to call those TO's and it ended up backfiring again.

Smidgeon
09-11-2017, 04:24 PM

At 43 seconds, if they stop the play in under 3 seconds, there was a shot at a free kick even if time ran out...if I remember the rule correctly.

Bossman641
09-11-2017, 04:38 PM
At 43 seconds, if they stop the play in under 3 seconds, there was a shot at a free kick even if time ran out...if I remember the rule correctly.

Let's say the play took 2 seconds and the zebras immediately got the play clock going. Even then, with 1 second left, Wilson could have just taken the snap on 4th down and kneeled to run out the clock.

pbmax
09-11-2017, 04:55 PM

43 seconds is before third down. 40 seconds would be before fourth down. You only need to kill a second by running backward to end the half.

Brandon494
09-11-2017, 06:35 PM

Can't wait!!!!!!

THIS!

I know it's one game but this defense really has me excited.

red
09-11-2017, 06:41 PM
THIS!

this is the problem with this game

the seahawks o-line was really really bad. did we look great because we're great, or did we look that we because they blow so bad

i don't know if we can judge how good our d-line is after that game. however, if we would have looked bad against that bad line, then we would be in trouble

what we do know, is that we looked good against a sucky o-line

red
09-11-2017, 06:49 PM
Wrong as that is, at least they got excited about something. Several times earlier in the game it was dead quiet.

this is on the fans, and the stadium

packer fans at games are a little bit different then other places. you have more elderly folks that have been following the team since the 20's and lots of families. they aren't gonna be your loud kind. more like the kind that yells at you to sit down when you stand up because you see a big play developing.

and then there's lambeau. its never really loud. and thats because of the design. a big huge bowl is never gonna be loud. too many people sitting too far away from the field, and all the noise going up and out. i've been saying for years that we need to put some kind of roof on the place. not a dome, but something like seattle of the new miami stadium have. something to knock the noise back down towards the field

woodbuck27
09-11-2017, 07:20 PM

packer fans at games are a little bit different then other places. you have more elderly folks that have been following the team since the 20's and lots of families. they aren't gonna be your loud kind. more like the kind that yells at you to sit down when you stand up because you see a big play developing.

and then there's lambeau. its never really loud. and thats because of the design. a big huge bowl is never gonna be loud. too many people sitting too far away from the field, and all the noise going up and out. i've been saying for years that we need to put some kind of roof on the place. not a dome, but something like seattle of the new miami stadium have. something to knock the noise back down towards the field

Then red....you (might?) take exception with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrj2O868SOk

GET LOUD LAMBEAU

woodbuck27
09-11-2017, 07:27 PM
Here is another perspective of Lambeau Field and how a Packer fan arrived without time for a Beer and Burger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpchQJ7Otds

Skydive Into Lambeau Field

QBME
09-11-2017, 07:35 PM

Don't agree. Lambeau has fans closer to the field than most any other football stadium. The cheering at Lambeau is quite audible and discerneable to the opposing teams, as opposed to a wall of noise created by modern day acoustic design.

It's more difficult to ignore cat calls and personal references from fans 14 feet in back of your bench, in the end zone and all along the sidelines than it is for a cacophony of buzzing noises.

Go Pack Go, and your mother wears army boots, indeed.

KYPack
09-11-2017, 07:47 PM
this is the problem with this game

the seahawks o-line was really really bad. did we look great because we're great, or did we look that we because they blow so bad

i don't know if we can judge how good our d-line is after that game. however, if we would have looked bad against that bad line, then we would be in trouble

what we do know, is that we looked good against a sucky o-line

Yep.

That Sea LT made Marshall Newhouse look like an All-Pro.

Perry guzzled him.

woodbuck27
09-11-2017, 08:09 PM
Yep.

That Sea LT made Marshall Newhouse look like an All-Pro.

Perry guzzled him.

Let's give it about 6 games to really see what we have resembling improvements we all might agree upon.

I am simply gratified that we defeated Seattle. Next one up ! Atlanta and another very tough out with a 'W'.

smuggler
09-12-2017, 09:02 PM
I am going to be a bit of a downer here, but I do not think Davante is as good as some people seem to believe. He's only average or above average and Rodgers makes him better. I am torn about his future in Green Bay, but I really don't want us to pay him 10mil/year. He is not worth it.

texaspackerbacker
09-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Good observation. As with everybody, Aaron Rodgers makes him what he is, and he wouldn't be that hard to replace.

Brandon494
09-12-2017, 09:12 PM
^Lmao, people only think about fantasy impact now...there is a reason Cobb was open so much.

KYPack
09-12-2017, 10:23 PM
I am going to be a bit of a downer here, but I do not think Davante is as good as some people seem to believe. He's only average or above average and Rodgers makes him better. I am torn about his future in Green Bay, but I really don't want us to pay him 10mil/year. He is not worth it.

I disagree. He is well along his personal development. His footwork has improved by at least 50%. He runs precise routes and has became violent with his hands. Speaking of hands, he's learned to catch and secure the ball. When he runs a double move, Rodgers respects it and gives him a long look. He is now the 3rd WR in that group. Should he get a huge financial deal? I dunno about that shit. He's in the mix, what money that garners, who knows?

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2017, 11:18 PM
I am going to be a bit of a downer here, but I do not think Davante is as good as some people seem to believe. He's only average or above average and Rodgers makes him better.

He has been up and down. (Jordy was mostly down his first year and a half, if memory serves.)

I'd say this season is the rubber match. I initially was against the guy because Madtown liked him. That is certainly a reasonable basis for hating a player. But now I am hopeful that this will finally be the season where he proves his value.

HarveyWallbangers
09-13-2017, 02:24 AM
Don't agree. Lambeau has fans closer to the field than most any other football stadium. The cheering at Lambeau is quite audible and discerneable to the opposing teams, as opposed to a wall of noise created by modern day acoustic design.

It's more difficult to ignore cat calls and personal references from fans 14 feet in back of your bench, in the end zone and all along the sidelines than it is for a cacophony of buzzing noises.

Go Pack Go, and your mother wears army boots, indeed.

For an outdoor stadium Lambeau is designed to be loud. The fans are "on top" of the field in a large enclosed bowl. I've gone to games where it's been loud and others where it's not loud. Some of it is the age of the fans. There are a lot of old timers at Packers game who rarely even clap.

smuggler
09-13-2017, 05:40 AM
^Lmao, people only think about fantasy impact now...there is a reason Cobb was open so much.

No. Not WRT to fantasy. I'm not a fantasy guy. Just musing, making an observation. Seattle's defense is really good. It wasn't disappointed with him in this game per se. But I didn't think his 2016 was as good as others did and he makes me nervous.

mraynrand
09-13-2017, 10:26 AM

I assume you mean because Seattle was chasing Bennett Adams and Nelson. I didn't see much of the game but I saw Cobb getting open a couple of times because Seattle lost track of him.

mraynrand
09-13-2017, 10:35 AM
About Lambeau; it's one of the quietest stadiums I've been in. Cincy, Philly, Buffalo, Detroit, Mpls, San Fran, County Stadium, Indy, AZ, were all significantly louder and fans standing more. Cincy fans stand the whole game. Cleveland and Chicago were quieter but those were total blowouts by the visitors and the teams sucked so hard to tell. Packer home fans are nice people, nice friendly drunks who are even generally friendly to the opposing team's fans. More like watching a game with your extended family. Other stadiums are
Like watching a game at a raucous bar.

Pugger
09-13-2017, 02:22 PM
STUD:
Vogel - had some really nice punts...one out of the end zone went past the 50, that's huge!
Daniels - played like a man
Perry - Keeps getting better
DB's - Had 1 bad series in the 1st half, but other than that, solid. swarm tackling, aggressive to the ball. I liked it.
Murphy - Can't compliment a 2nd year player who never sniffed the field last year enough for what he did.
Martellus Bennett - I don't care if it was cheap, he stood up for his QB at the end to he game. brings an attitude this team needs.
Nelson/Cobb/Adams- Doin what they do.
Montgomery - Not flashy, but almost 60 yards rushing and almost 40 receiving...if he averaged that all year I think he is real dangerous.
Rodgers - 1st half bad, but looked ready in 2nd half.

Duds...

Refs - Weird game.

To any Florida people, stay safe! Blessed to have planned to have our friends here today to watch the game with us from near Naples, Florida. They are lucky to have gotten out, but prayers up to all those down there, and still those in Texas and the area.

Hubby and I evacuated all the way up to GB. We are staying at his brother's place waiting for power to be restored. We got lucky as hell and our house was spared damage as far as my neighbors can tell from the outside.

Pugger
09-13-2017, 02:27 PM

I couldn't understand that either. Why in the hell would you give your opponent a TO at the end of the half? Who cares if you don't score. It would have been tied and you get the ball first after the half. smh Some of Stubby's time management leaves a lot to be desired.

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2017, 02:56 PM
Hubby and I evacuated all the way up to GB. We are staying at his brother's place waiting for power to be restored. We got lucky as hell and our house was spared damage as far as my neighbors can tell from the outside.

Major congratulations.

Had you been a reader of FYI, you might have been talked into sitting tight and guarding your fort by a very persuasive fellow. Glad things worked out for you and you are vacationing in sunny Green Bay.

Rutnstrut
09-13-2017, 02:58 PM

Yup.

gbgary
09-13-2017, 03:08 PM

i'm with ya but let's tap the brakes a bit. sea's o sucks pretty bad. the atl o will tell us more.

Maxie the Taxi
09-13-2017, 03:49 PM
I couldn't understand that either. Why in the hell would you give your opponent a TO at the end of the half? Who cares if you don't score. It would have been tied and you get the ball first after the half. smh Some of Stubby's time management leaves a lot to be desired.Stubby defended the move at his presser. He would and will do it again. In fact, Sean Payton and Bellycheck The Great did the same thing in their games with the same results: https://www.totalpackers.com/2017/09/revisiting-clock-management-concepts/ It's still a stupid move, no matter the company.

[Glad you dodged the hurricane bullet. We did too.]