PDA

View Full Version : Official Atlanta Week Thread

pbmax
09-11-2017, 10:27 AM
How many of you knew the second of these Falcon coordinators?

New Falcons coordinators Steve Sarkisian (offense) and Marquand Manuel (defense)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2732509-monday-morning-digest-great-defenses-indefensible-quarterbacks

Joemailman
09-11-2017, 10:33 AM
How many of you knew the second of these Falcon coordinators?

New Falcons coordinators Steve Sarkisian (offense) and Marquand Manuel (defense)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2732509-monday-morning-digest-great-defenses-indefensible-quarterbacks

Can we count on there being communications problems between the Falcons cornerback's and safeties?

pbmax
09-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Can we count on there being communications problems between the Falcons cornerback's and safeties?

Old habits die hard.

pbmax
09-11-2017, 11:26 AM
Speaking of that, did anyone see a perplexed back end yesterday? Its almost as if they knew where to be. The only time it looked weird was that Baldwin crossing pattern.

Fritz
09-11-2017, 11:28 AM
I noticed that, too. How many years, after a big play by the opposing team, did we see Packer corners and safeties shrugging and eye-rolling at each other?

Of the d-backs, in my limited viewing, I thought House played the worst of the bunch. He seemed to get turned around a lot.

3irty1
09-11-2017, 01:16 PM
Think at some point we'll have 8 defensive backs on the field?

woodbuck27
09-11-2017, 01:18 PM
The reported weakness in the Seahawks game is their Receiving Core.

Did that make our DB's look good?

Also the 'D' upfront (led by Daniels) placed a lot of heat on Russell Wilson.

ThunderDan
09-11-2017, 02:57 PM
I can already hear it if we beat the Falcons this week Sunday:

"Well, the Bears almost beat the Falcons they aren't that good."

You play the teams they put on the schedule.

Joemailman
09-11-2017, 03:48 PM
Falcons are favored by 2.5 points.

Fritz
09-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Isn't this one Thursday night? And did the Falcones play their first game at home or in Chicago?

Not much turnaround time if this is a Thursday nighter. And any word on Brooks's concussion? Or SPRIGGS's hamstring?

Joemailman
09-11-2017, 03:53 PM
Isn't this one Thursday night? And did the Falcones play their first game at home or in Chicago?

Not much turnaround time if this is a Thursday nighter. And any word on Brooks's concussion? Or SPRIGGS's hamstring?

Sunday night. Usually not much injury information until at least Wednesday. Especially with concussions.

QBME
09-11-2017, 04:57 PM
I know it's cliche, but I truly believe the Falcons/Bears game was a trap game for the Falcons, and they barely (pun intended) survived. Atlanta was looking forward a week to the Packers.

Brand spankin' new shiny stadium, NFC Champs, norrowly escaping in the regular season to Green Bay in Atlanta last year (I was there.). Wanting to disprove the "Super Bowl Hangover".

Packers are in for a real tanglement this week.

gbgary
09-11-2017, 06:09 PM
a much better O than sea. this will be a tough one.

Joemailman
09-11-2017, 06:13 PM
I know it's cliche, but I truly believe the Falcons/Bears game was a trap game for the Falcons, and they barely (pun intended) survived. Atlanta was looking forward a week to the Packers.

Brand spankin' new shiny stadium, NFC Champs, norrowly escaping in the regular season to Green Bay in Atlanta last year (I was there.). Wanting to disprove the "Super Bowl Hangover".

I agree. MM usually pretty good at rallying the troops as an underdog. Communication on offense will be a challenge.

woodbuck27
09-11-2017, 07:23 PM

Will Vegas have the Atlanta Falcons at 3 Point Favourites or less?

Tony Oday
09-11-2017, 07:43 PM
Falcons win by 24.

woodbuck27
09-11-2017, 07:50 PM
OK here it is:

Sunday Night Football: 9/17 8:30 ET At Atlanta -2.5 ( Road Dog Green Bay ) with an OVER/UNDER of 53.5

GO PACK GO !

Zool
09-11-2017, 08:15 PM
Think the Packers are a draw? They've opened new stadiums in week 2 the last 2 seasons.

texaspackerbacker
09-11-2017, 08:31 PM
I question whether the Falcons are better than the Seahawks. True, they have better receivers and better RBs and probably a better O Line. However, I don't see Ryan escaping the pass rush as Wilson was able to do so many times, and I sure don't see him running for yardage like Wilson.

Also, our Offense had a lot of near misses against the Seahawks. Some of that type of play should be successful against a slightly lesser D.

I think we go down there and beat them.

Joemailman
09-11-2017, 08:55 PM
I question whether the Falcons are better than the Seahawks. True, they have better receivers and better RBs and probably a better O Line. However, I don't see Ryan escaping the pass rush as Wilson was able to do so many times, and I sure don't see him running for yardage like Wilson.

Also, our Offense had a lot of near misses against the Seahawks. Some of that type of play should be successful against a slightly lesser D.

Atlanta had the NFL's #1 offense last year, and there's no reason to think they'll decline this year. The Packers offense, which seemed to figure some things out in the 2nd half yesterday will need to play a good 4 quarters to have a chance Sunday. I expect them to play better offensively than they did yesterday.

woodbuck27
09-11-2017, 09:02 PM

I think this game will be a Gem to watch.

RashanGary
09-11-2017, 09:25 PM
Packers have 5th ranked defense in ypg right now. They'll go down now with Atlanta in atlanta. But damn, we're looking good right now!

And our offense wasn't as good, but Seattle is tough as nails so that will get better.

We'll see. It's a tough two games to start a season. I was excited going in to this season, but f we win in Atlanta I'll be ecstatic!!

woodbuck27
09-11-2017, 09:29 PM
Packers have 5th ranked defense in ypg right now. They'll go down now with Atlanta in atlanta. But damn, we're looking good right now!

And our offense wasn't as good, but Seattle is tough as nails so that will get better.

We'll see. It's a tough two games to start a season. I was excited going in to this season, but f we win in Atlanta I'll be ecstatic!!

:pack:

pbmax
09-11-2017, 09:31 PM
I agree. MM usually pretty good at rallying the troops as an underdog. Communication on offense will be a challenge.

I refuse to believe Atlanta will be loud for a pro football game. With the roof open.

Guess we'll see.

mraynrand
09-11-2017, 09:36 PM
Think at some point we'll have 8 defensive backs on the field?

We are...Penn State?

Bretsky
09-11-2017, 10:11 PM

Agree; huge 1st win, 1-1 not a bad start with our schedule but 2-0 would b awesome

Teamcheez1
09-12-2017, 07:10 AM
Who gets cut this week with Geronimo coming back?

KYPack
09-12-2017, 07:48 AM
Mebbe Geronimo!

Seriously, they will have to look at Brooks or any of the guys that are last in their personnel group.

bobblehead
09-12-2017, 11:51 AM
Agree; huge 1st win, 1-1 not a bad start with our schedule but 2-0 would b awesome

Yea, you aren't supposed to start 2-0 with those matchups and if we do, its something to be excited about.

gbgary
09-12-2017, 01:01 PM
Who gets cut this week with Geronimo coming back?

pipkins is my guess.

Fritz
09-12-2017, 06:26 PM
Apparently Gunter AND Francois.

Radagast
09-12-2017, 09:01 PM
Atlanta presents some different challenges from Seattle . The greatest of these will be faced by the CB's .

Seattle was a good first test for the Packers , but I never grade on less than 4 games . I'm very pleased with what I see so far , but I'm not ready to start handing out any medals yet. Although Murphy filling in for Bulaga played his guts out against the Seahawks . "At a Boy" !

GB's offense will continue to get even better as the season rolls along. I hope the Defense will be doing so as well .

SudsMcBucky
09-13-2017, 07:32 AM
Atlanta had the NFL's #1 offense last year, and there's no reason to think they'll decline this year. The Packers offense, which seemed to figure some things out in the 2nd half yesterday will need to play a good 4 quarters to have a chance Sunday. I expect them to play better offensively than they did yesterday.

Well, they lost their OC, so yeah, it's possible. At least experiencing some early season struggles, anyway.

bobblehead
09-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Apparently Gunter AND Francois.

They had to cut Gunter before the Atlanta game. Every time he even heard Julio Jones name he fell down in the fetal position muttering "think of a safe place"

Guiness
09-13-2017, 01:04 PM
Well, they lost their OC, so yeah, it's possible. At least experiencing some early season struggles, anyway.

And Ryan played out of his mind, and IMO over his head last season. Does it continue?

Clayish
09-13-2017, 04:34 PM
Bakh on the Injury Report

pbmax
09-13-2017, 06:10 PM
Here it is (and this explains Pankey):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJoeP-VXgAIDWAx.jpg:large

Anyone get an update on Brooks' noggin?

pbmax
09-13-2017, 06:15 PM
Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 7h7 hours ago
McCarthy on Spriggs: Too early to tell but will be out at least a couple weeks, MM says.

10 lineman, 7 of which are healthy

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 5h5 hours ago
OLB Ahmad Brooks (concussion) was allowed to watch practice, which means he may be close to returning. #packers

pbmax
09-13-2017, 06:19 PM
Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde 5h5 hours ago
#Packers veteran OLB Ahmad Brooks (concussion) not practicing.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJn8MblW4AAuMh5.jpg

KYPack
09-13-2017, 06:25 PM
I suppose it doesn't matter,but how did Brooks get that concussion?

Joemailman
09-13-2017, 07:03 PM

No idea. When they mentioned during the game that Brooks was being evaluated for a concussion, I couldn't remember hearing his name mentioned. He played 6 snaps on defense and 1 on special teams. He was credited with 1 tackle on a Lacy run midway through the 2nd quarter.

Fritz
09-13-2017, 07:03 PM

He got hit on the head.

Sorry, KY. Couldn't stop myself.

hoosier
09-13-2017, 08:46 PM
Both tackles now on the injury list, Bulaga with his ankle and Bakhtiari with a hamstring. Explains swapping RJF for Pankey. Here comes the annual injury parade.

MadScientist
09-14-2017, 10:47 AM

And Ryan played out of his mind, and IMO over his head last season. Does it continue?

Both tackles now on the injury list, Bulaga with his ankle and Bakhtiari with a hamstring. Explains swapping RJF for Pankey. Here comes the annual injury parade.

Can Pankey play tackle? With Spriggs out (not a loss), Murphy is the only healthy tackle unless I'm missing someone. Atlanta may not have the line Seattle does, but if Bakhtiari and Bulaga are out, Rodgers is in big trouble.

On the plus side, Atlanta has o-line troubles even without injury. Their new guard (replaced a guy who retired) had a terrible game against the Bears:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/09/13/schweitzer-struggles-in-debut-with-high-scoring-falcons/105583774/

The Atlanta coach is talking about cleaning things up... where have I heard that kind of coach speak before, and how well did it work out?

hoosier
09-14-2017, 11:14 AM
Have to hope Bakhtiari can go and that he doesn't make whatever he has worse.

Rutnstrut
09-14-2017, 12:05 PM
No worries about the O-line. Ted had it all figured out way before the season started.

gbgary
09-14-2017, 12:12 PM
current o-line situation has the potential to become the rb fiasco of last year.

pbmax
09-14-2017, 12:56 PM
current o-line situation has the potential to become the rb fiasco of last year.

That would be fine with me. But I don't want the CB fiasco again.

pbmax
09-14-2017, 12:56 PM
Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 8m8 minutes ago
So this doesn't appear good for Daniels (see photo) but is a protective wrap. Won't use in game and won't be on injury report.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJs6KcfW4AEsa-g.jpg:large

mraynrand
09-14-2017, 01:32 PM
^^^ Lowrys' fingers barely reach the top of his thigh pads. :)

hoosier
09-14-2017, 01:47 PM

He's headed into battle unarmed.

hoosier
09-14-2017, 01:52 PM
@RobDemovsky

David Bakhtiari practiced in pads. Limited yesterday but at least there's a chance Packers won't be without both starting tackles on Sunday.

Is practicing in pads the same as full participation? If so I would think there is more than just "a chance" he plays on Sunday.

pbmax
09-14-2017, 01:59 PM
Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 26m26 minutes ago
Same three missing from #Packers practice: OT Bryan Bulaga, OLB Ahmad Brooks and OT Jason Spriggs.

Wes Hodkiewicz @WesHod 27m27 minutes ago
David Bakhtiari (hamstring) taking part in portion of practice open to media. No Bryan Bulaga or Spriggs. Ahmad Brooks watching #Packers

Andy Benoit @Andy_Benoit 23h23 hours ago
Film: #Packers a static formation offense. Rarely employ motion. They will shift presnap, though.

Rob Demovsky @RobDemovsky 1h1 hour ago
David Bakhtiari practiced in pads. Limited yesterday but at least there's a chance Packers won't be without both starting tackles on Sunday.

BACH HAS PACKERS HAMMY

Rob Demovsky @RobDemovsky 1h1 hour ago
Ahmad Brooks remains in the concussion protocol although he's been watching practice the last two days, a sign he's made some progress.

Teamcheez1
09-14-2017, 03:11 PM
Bulaga has been out for 22 days now.

Maxie the Taxi
09-14-2017, 03:20 PM
current o-line situation has the potential to become the rb fiasco of last year.#98 converts to Left Tackle.

texaspackerbacker
09-14-2017, 03:21 PM

He should be an O Lineman. Pretty hard to get a holding penalty that way. BTW, who is that with the white T-shirt over his big gut? His arms seem to be about the same length as Lowry.

Patler
09-14-2017, 04:01 PM

Kind of interesting comparing Lowry and Clark for the positions of their hands relative to their waists. Clark's waist looks to be at his mid-forearm. Lowry's is at the base of his thumb.

hoosier
09-14-2017, 04:11 PM
What's with the protective wrap? Does he have an injury or is just a prophylaxis? If prophylaxis shouldn't all Packer defenders be wearing them?

Joemailman
09-14-2017, 04:34 PM
Can Pankey play tackle? With Spriggs out (not a loss), Murphy is the only healthy tackle unless I'm missing someone. Atlanta may not have the line Seattle does, but if Bakhtiari and Bulaga are out, Rodgers is in big trouble.

On the plus side, Atlanta has o-line troubles even without injury. Their new guard (replaced a guy who retired) had a terrible game against the Bears:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/09/13/schweitzer-struggles-in-debut-with-high-scoring-falcons/105583774/

The Atlanta coach is talking about cleaning things up... where have I heard that kind of coach speak before, and how well did it work out?

Pankey play both Guard and Tackle at West Virginia. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/adam-pankey?id=2558143

Most had him projected to Guard in the NFL.

pbmax
09-14-2017, 05:13 PM
Bach is still limited participant.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJtlWVhW0AATxD4.jpg:large

Joemailman
09-15-2017, 04:51 PM
Bakh and Bulaga Questionable.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJyfkMjUIAAJL5B.jpg:large

Radagast
09-15-2017, 09:25 PM
Atlanta's new stadium will I expect be very loud to play in and GB's Coaches will know this as well . The Packers have played in similarly loud conditions and have learned how to deal with it. Practice as well as classroom training should have been preparing everyone for it.

I expect to see Bakhtari take the field at LT , but not Bulaga . Murphy will need to play at RT again this week and the game plan will need to take it into account . More TE involvement , IMO , will be part of that plan . The Offense will play well , but it will not be a high scoring show .

The Defense, once again , will need to play well as the Falcons will not want to loose in their new home . I believe it will all come down to a final Cosby FG to pull out a victory in this one .

Go Pack Go !

yetisnowman
09-16-2017, 12:15 AM
I'll be at the game with my 71 year old pops. Section 130 row 12. Basically 35 yard line, lower level 12 rows up. Super pumped. First time at the new stadium. It's supposed to be awe inspiring. I'm really glad we won last week so I can enjoy this game more, with less pressure. You know Aaron and the boys want nothing more than to come in here and exercise some demons and break in the new digs right. Can't wait. GPG!!!!

mraynrand
09-16-2017, 12:40 AM
^^^. Hope it's a fun game and day for you guys. Going to the game with Pop is the best.

Joemailman
09-16-2017, 12:19 PM
When opening up a new stadium, the home team has covered the spread in only 4 of the last 13. I believe the spread is 2.5.

If Bakhtiari can go, I think the Packers have a real chance.

pbmax
09-16-2017, 05:05 PM
I think its actually worse to discover Matt Millen on TV by surprise that know that he might be doing an NFL broadcast with your team.

This has not worked out for the better.

pbmax
09-17-2017, 09:05 AM
This actually looks fun and designed for all ages, a nice move compared to the trend around Lambeau. The Titletown District opened the public plaza and park this week.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/news/2017/09/15/community-pleased-first-look-titletown-district-park-and-plaza/638040001/

pbmax
09-17-2017, 09:13 AM
Item 5. Poor secondary play kept the Packers out of Super Bowl LI. After allowing just nine points and 135 net yards passing Sunday against Seattle, the assumption is Atlanta will see a much better Packers defense Sunday night than it saw in January’s NFC Championship. But the film begs to differ. Green Bay’s back seven struggled against switch releases. Two Seahawks receivers would run vertically along gradually intersecting paths, and one would pop open inside. Unfortunately, Seattle’s pass protection usually broke down before Russell Wilson could target the open man. It will be different with Atlanta. Expect Matt Ryan to attack the Packers inside, and to really go after slot man Quinten Rollins.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/15/leonard-fournett-tj-watt-deshone-kizer-cam-robinson-rookie-class-week-1

bobblehead
09-17-2017, 09:18 AM

Seems like every year one position gets crushed by injury. Tackle wouldn't be a big deal if our QB was Joe Schmoe, but since its ARod....

bobblehead
09-17-2017, 09:20 AM

Did he say its just an adjustment in pad level?

bobblehead
09-17-2017, 09:21 AM
No worries about the O-line. Ted had it all figured out way before the season started.

But you worship the John Schneider approach of active FA signings. Worked real well. Their OLine problems are great BEFORE anyone is injured amIright!

Joemailman
09-17-2017, 10:53 AM
But you worship the John Schneider approach of active FA signings. Worked real well. Their OLine problems are great BEFORE anyone is injured amIright!

He's made some real errors on the O-Line. Traded Max Unger, a Pro Bowl Center, for Jimmy Graham. Had Jahri Evans last year and cut him. Tried to make up for it this year by going after T.J. Lang, but lost out to Detroit.

Rutnstrut
09-17-2017, 02:13 PM

Who ever said I worship Schneider? I do find it odd that TT isn't good enough figure out that protecting Rodgers is job number 1.

Zool
09-17-2017, 07:39 PM
Need All Pro starters and Pro Bowl backups. All within the cap while paying everyone else what they deserve. Anything less is a failure.

mraynrand
09-18-2017, 04:24 PM
Who ever said I worship Schneider? I do find it odd that TT isn't good enough figure out that protecting Rodgers is job number 1.

yawn.

woodbuck27
09-18-2017, 07:02 PM
http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/40849/packers-makeshift-offensive-line-kept-aaron-rodgers-upright-but-just-barely

Packers' makeshift OL kept Aaron Rodgers upright -- but just barely

1:56 PM ET ....Rob Demovsky ... ESPN Staff Writer

ATLANTA -- " David Bakhtiari loved the way Kyle Murphy played in his place at left tackle, and Murphy had nothing but good things to say about Justin McCray, who made his first start at right tackle -- the same spot where Murphy made his first start a week earlier.

Yes, the Green Bay Packers got through a game with a pair of neophytes at the two most important offensive line positions without getting Aaron Rodgers killed, but coach Mike McCarthy’s altered offensive plan couldn’t keep up with the wide-open Atlanta Falcons offense in Sunday night’s 34-23 loss and probably would be a severely limited if Bakhtiari (hamstring) and Bryan Bulaga (ankle) don’t return soon. "

Please click on the LINK for the rest of this story.

GO PACK GO !