PDA

View Full Version : College class question

Brando19
09-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Guys, I know this is a football board, but I'm in over my head. I'm going out of town for the Packers game soon and I have a homework assignment for my American Foreign Relations class. I don't know how many geniuses are on here, but it's worth a try. I have to write a paper and here's the topic,
Jonathan Edwards wrote, "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God." Does this ideology have anything to do with American Foreign Affairs?
http://www.ccel.org/e/edwards/sermons/sinners.html

Anyone got any ideas? :mrgreen:
Worth a shot, I guess.

Patler
09-07-2006, 09:47 PM
I have to write a paper and here's the topic,
Jonathan Edwards wrote, "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God." Does this ideology have anything to do with American Foreign Affairs?

"Yes".

(I like short essays! :mrgreen: )

K-town
09-07-2006, 09:58 PM
I have to write a paper and here's the topic,

"Yes".

(I like short essays! :mrgreen: )

Brilliant!

J-Rok
09-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Yes, because God hates foreigners more than he hates us, and that's saying alot. We might as well nuke the Japs since they're being held over the furnace already. Better now than never.

Plus, God already planned our foreign policy, so it's how he wants it.

FavreChild
09-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Yes, something like that.

I wrote a 26-page paper on that sermon (analyzing it as rhetoric) back when I was in college. So not really from the perspective of foreign affairs, but certainly of the ideology and values of the time. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

J-Rok
09-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Oh, don't listen to me. I'm definately not the person to listen to.

Partial
09-08-2006, 12:11 AM
I have heard a legend at my school of a teacher assigning an essay with a question similiar to this, and every student but one was scribbling away some long, logical yet incorrect answer, and the one who didn't wrote no, sat and waited for the class to finish, and handed in his paper with a simple no on it. Rumor has it he received the only A on that exam.

CyclonePackFan
09-08-2006, 12:56 AM
I have heard a legend at my school of a teacher assigning an essay with a question similiar to this, and every student but one was scribbling away some long, logical yet incorrect answer, and the one who didn't wrote no, sat and waited for the class to finish, and handed in his paper with a simple no on it. Rumor has it he received the only A on that exam.

I heard a similar rumor. In my version, the class was a relatively high-level philosophy class. Everyone came in for the final, and the instructor distributes the test. On the paper is written one word:

Why?

People start scribbling away, except for one student. He thinks about it for a minute or two, writes something on his paper, hands it in, and leaves the rest of the class to frantically write. He got an A. His response:

Because.

As for Brando's paper...I'm sure there's a good argument in there for 'yes', but I'm an engineer, and I have no desire to read a Great Awakening-era sermon, well-known as the author may be.

You could tie the two activities together and write a paper on the relationship between Bear fans (sinners) and Packer fans, as the sinners prepare to be judged by an angry God (Farve) (I'm so going to hell for that)...Illinois is a foreign country, right?

Brando19
09-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Lol...thanks for the responses guys. I'm not sure my professor would be too kind if I had Favre in place of God. But I appreciate everyone's input.

FavreChild: I sent you a pm. Thanks alot. :D

Deputy Nutz
09-08-2006, 02:47 PM
I heard a story of a college professor in some Philosophy class asking the def of courage on his final exam. One kid wrote, "This is" at the top of his paper, leaving the rest blank. He reportedly got an "A". Gee what a class.

pacfan
09-08-2006, 05:15 PM
I heard a story of a college professor in some Philosophy class asking the def of courage on his final exam. One kid wrote, "This is" at the top of his paper, leaving the rest blank. He reportedly got an "A". Gee what a class.

one day, at band camp......

the_idle_threat
09-08-2006, 10:57 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: Stories like this only reinforce the notion that philosophy is a bullshit major ...

KYPack
09-09-2006, 09:26 AM
A Philosophy class is still the most confusing thing I've ever been involved in. Our whole class was so confused. we could only raise our hands about half way off our desks to ask a question.

One of the bad things about it is you are really too young to take it when yer in college. You need that healthy dose of cynicsm about 12 years in the real world gives you before your really ready to grasp the fundamentals of any philosophy.