PDA

View Full Version : Nall fans once again crushed

gureski
09-07-2006, 09:23 PM
You poor Nall fans......I almost feel sorry for you.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/09/07/bc.fbn.bills.holcomb.ap/index.html

"ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- Kelly Holcomb earned a consolation prize Thursday, beating out Craig Nall as the Buffalo Bills No. 2 quarterback for their season opener at New England this weekend.

Coach Dick Jauron made the announcement following practice, saying Holcomb earned the job behind starter J.P. Losman with his improved play in the final two preseason games."

end partial quote

So, what's the excuse this time Nall-Ball boys?

You know what I say.... It's same Nall, different pile.

Pacopete4
09-07-2006, 09:25 PM
i call it dumb coaching. you know what u are going to get out of losman and holcomb and that isnt much.. why not give nall a chance when all he's ever done is do well when given the chance to play.. it makes no sense

retailguy
09-07-2006, 09:26 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/09/07/bc.fbn.bills.holcomb.ap/index.html

"ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- Kelly Holcomb earned a consolation prize Thursday, beating out Craig Nall as the Buffalo Bills No. 2 quarterback for their season opener at New England this weekend.

Coach Dick Jauron made the announcement following practice, saying Holcomb earned the job behind starter J.P. Losman with his improved play in the final two preseason games."

end partial quote

I'm no nall fan but he was hurt most of camp. Hamstring, I think.

Why hate on him? He was a pretty good guy. I hope he succeeds at some point.

Packers4Glory
09-08-2006, 12:37 AM
he missed most of camp thats why. he didn't even get to compete for the starting job because he missed too much time.

ahaha
09-08-2006, 03:02 AM
I used to think Nall could be a decent quarterback, until I went to a game at Lambeau last year. It was the Bears, and I went down to field level to watch the players warm up. Watching Favre, Rodgers, and Nall go through their throws right next to each other, it was obvious that Nall was no where even close to the league of Favre, Rodgers, Grossmon, or even Orton in arm strength. He looked quite weak and very out of place. He might have some nice intangibles, but any team starting him would be severely limited in what their passing offense could do.

Pack0514
09-08-2006, 08:20 AM
......He might have some nice intangibles, but.........

Oh no...... here we go again! :lol:

gureski
09-08-2006, 01:34 PM
For those that aren't privy to the year plus long debate concerning Nall, all the excuses made above have been made over and over and over again regarding Nall and why he hasnt' ahieved more in his short career.

The point people should learn is that the guy is a #3 QB in the NFL. Some talked about him like he was sure starter material. Many people overrated Nall. It's time to admit that. If he was half as talented as many have said then he wouldn't be starting the season as the #3 QB in Buffalo. Nall has as much potential as any other #3 QB in the NFL but to portray it as anything more than that is irresponsible and frankly untrue. It's now proven in two cities that Nall couldn't move beyond #3 QB spot(unless injury crept into the picture). It's time for that bandwagon to officially be disbanded.

Tarlam!
09-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Why on earth does anybody here wanna discuss Craig Nall?

Let's discuss the NEW future of the GBP! L&G, I give you..........IngleMartin!!!!!!!!!!!

ahaha
09-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Why on earth does anybody here wanna discuss Craig Nall?

Let's discuss the NEW future of the GBP! L&G, I give you..........IngleMartin!!!!!!!!!!!

The back-up quarterback with a strong leg. How sweet would it be if the packers had control of the game and Martin came in and did a drop kick field goal, ala Doug Flutie. Vengeance for theWilliam Perry touchdowns!

retailguy
09-08-2006, 05:13 PM
For those that aren't privy to the year plus long debate concerning Nall, all the excuses made above have been made over and over and over again regarding Nall and why he hasnt' ahieved more in his short career.

The point people should learn is that the guy is a #3 QB in the NFL. Some talked about him like he was sure starter material. Many people overrated Nall. It's time to admit that. If he was half as talented as many have said then he wouldn't be starting the season as the #3 QB in Buffalo. Nall has as much potential as any other #3 QB in the NFL but to portray it as anything more than that is irresponsible and frankly untrue. It's now proven in two cities that Nall couldn't move beyond #3 QB spot(unless injury crept into the picture). It's time for that bandwagon to officially be disbanded.

I see what this is about! I guess I missed the original discussion -

HERE IT IS - Guerski was right, the rest of you were wrong.... So....

NA NA NA NA NA, HEY HEY GOODBYE!

Everyone bow to Guerski on three - READY, ONE, TWO,.................

THREEEEEEEE, (packerdom bows down to Guerski Thompson)......

I wish Craig Nall well. He stayed in the NFL longer that I did, and longer than Guerski did TOO!

Partial
09-08-2006, 05:41 PM
I used to think Nall could be a decent quarterback, until I went to a game at Lambeau last year. It was the Bears, and I went down to field level to watch the players warm up. Watching Favre, Rodgers, and Nall go through their throws right next to each other, it was obvious that Nall was no where even close to the league of Favre, Rodgers, Grossmon, or even Orton in arm strength. He looked quite weak and very out of place. He might have some nice intangibles, but any team starting him would be severely limited in what their passing offense could do.

Wasn't Nall drafted 'cause he had a cannon?

retailguy
09-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Wasn't Nall drafted 'cause he had a cannon?

Not exactly - here's the draft day blurb from packers.com....

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2002/04/21/2/

If you don't know much about Craig Nall, the Packers' second selection of the fifth round, that's okay with them. If you don't know anything about him, they might be downright giddy.

Nall, a quarterback out of Northwestern State in Louisiana, slipped underneath the radar to get to the Packers. And they wanted it that way.

"I like this guy," Sherman said, "I didn't think we had a chance at him. I know that not a lot of people knew about this guy. We kind of had it hidden, we kept it real quiet."

A highly touted recruit out of high school, Nall turned down Steve Spurrier and Florida to start his collegiate career at LSU. But after limited action in Baton Rouge, he transferred to Northwestern State where he set a single-season NSU record with 2,022 yards passing.

Even more impressive, Nall threw only three interceptions during his senior season, all of them on tipped balls. And Packers fans will like this stat: in his final collegiate game at Montana, he passed for 339 yards in a minus-20 degree wind chill.

"We thought he had a big upside as far as what we wanted to get done," Hatley said. "He's a project that we felt like could develop into a quarterback that could be successful in our offense."

Obviously, with Brett Favre's career still going strong, there's little rush for the inexperienced Nall's development. But the Packers are enthusiastic about Nall's quick release that they feel fits perfectly into the NFL and the 'West Coast' offense, not to mention his contagious personality.

"He hunts, he fishes, he's kind of like an offensive lineman, kind of like Brett in many ways," Sherman said. "He doesn't have the characteristics of Brett Favre in regard to arm strength, but he has an awareness, plays fast. It's important to him and he competes."

mraynrand
09-08-2006, 06:41 PM
If Harvey responds to this thread, it will go for twenty pages. Harvey, just say no.

woodbuck27
09-08-2006, 07:13 PM

end partial quote

Come on now ! He's DAM good. . . with a clipboard. Experienced. :mrgreen:

Tarlam!
09-09-2006, 02:46 AM
If Harvey responds to this thread, it will go for twenty pages. Harvey, just say no.

Now that is hysterical!

BOMNF!!!

HarveyWallbangers
09-09-2006, 08:00 AM

Actually, I wasn't a big part of the whole Nall debate. I really don't have much of an opinion on him--other than I wish him well in Buffalo.
:D

Favre4
09-09-2006, 08:09 AM
I dont see the point in posting this here. First off, how can anyone say that Nall has a weak arm. They obviously have never watched the guy play.

Here were his preseason numbers this year 20/34 308 2td 1int. not exactly bad.

This Bills regime is simply making the mistake the last one did in that they think Losmans potential can translate to wins. After a few games of him sucking, fans are going to start calling for a change. Holcomb is the vet and is nothing special but guess the feel comfortable with him coming in a relief role. But Nall will get his chance this year at some point.

Its not like in Green Bay where he was behind a hall of famer that is an ironman. And a vet backup that was Favres best friends and Longwells holder and we know how anal Longwell is about his holder. There was always this belief that Pederson could come in on a pinch and be good with his experience but he stunk. Then last year, Rodgers got every #2 snap in preseason and stunk. He was given the job for nothing more than his draft postion and salary.

aviper2k7
09-09-2006, 12:29 PM
I dont see the point in posting this here. First off, how can anyone say that Nall has a weak arm. They obviously have never watched the guy play.

This Bills regime is simply making the mistake the last one did in that they think Losmans potential can translate to wins. After a few games of him sucking, fans are going to start calling for a change. Holcomb is the vet and is nothing special but guess the feel comfortable with him coming in a relief role. But Nall will get his chance this year at some point.

Its not like in Green Bay where he was behind a hall of famer that is an ironman. And a vet backup that was Favres best friends and Longwells holder and we know how anal Longwell is about his holder. There was always this belief that Pederson could come in on a pinch and be good with his experience but he stunk. Then last year, Rodgers got every #2 snap in preseason and stunk. He was given the job for nothing more than his draft postion and salary.

Nall didn't hold, the punter Sanders did. Which made no sense.

gureski
09-09-2006, 12:40 PM

It's amazing to me how the Nall fans can't admit they're wrong. Read the above clip and it's clear there is nothing factual standing behind the stance that Nall has been cheated. It's always someone elses fault that Nall is third string and it's always something political with coaching decisions.... It's really rather pathetic. It's always everything in the world and conspiracy theories over just the plain fact that Nall isn't as good as many have made him out to be. Hell, read the second last paragraph closely and it says that after all the other guys suck it up in Buffalo that Nall will get a chance. It admits that the only way Nall can get on the field is NOT through his own ability but rather through other people's failings and injury! But he's still special! Sure...

If you can't see the fact that Nall couldn't beat out Doug Pederson in G.B. and then couldn't beat out a rookie in A.Rodgers and now couldn't beat out K.Hocombe and Losman then you're just in denial about Nall's abilities. It's one thing to point to one occurrance and say it's an abnormality. It's a whole nother thing when a guy has multiple years of the same results and now in two different cities under two different coaching staffs. This is an absolute trend. This is not a one time thing. This is the career of Craig Nall. The sooner you accept that the less money you'll have to spend on therapy sessions.

ahaha
09-09-2006, 12:42 PM

I posted earlier on this thread that I thought he had a weak arm. That comes from my observations from field level, throwing next to Favre and Rodgers, with Grossman and Orton tossing on the other end. It seemed pretty obvious to me, but I won't claim to have a scout's eye.

gureski
09-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Nall didn't hold, the punter Sanders did. Which made no sense.

That's because Nall was only aspiring to be a holder. He couldn't even get that down. They tried to turn him into a holder and the project failed.

Patler
09-09-2006, 12:52 PM
It's amazing to me how the Nall fans can't admit they're wrong. Read the above clip and it's clear there is nothing factual standing behind the stance that Nall has been cheated. It's always someone elses fault that Nall is third string and it's always something political with coaching decisions.... It's really rather pathetic. It's always everything in the world and conspiracy theories over just the plain fact that Nall isn't as good as many have made him out to be. Hell, read the second last paragraph closely and it says that after all the other guys suck it up in Buffalo that Nall will get a chance. It admits that the only way Nall can get on the field is NOT through his own ability but rather through other people's failings and injury! But he's still special! Sure...

If you can't see the fact that Nall couldn't beat out Doug Pederson in G.B. and then couldn't beat out a rookie in A.Rodgers and now couldn't beat out K.Hocombe and Losman then you're just in denial about Nall's abilities. It's one thing to point to one occurrance and say it's an abnormality. It's a whole nother thing when a guy has multiple years of the same results and now in two different cities under two different coaching staffs. This is an absolute trend. This is not a one time thing. This is the career of Craig Nall. The sooner you accept that the less money you'll have to spend on therapy sessions.

Actually, Gureski, it goes back even further. If you remember from the JSO thread, according to at least one poster Nall had to leave LSU because of the politics that prevented him from his rightful spot as the starting QB at LSU.

I wrote last year, and I will repeat it again. Nall needs to have a Doug Pederson type awakening. Pederson left GB to become a starter, but realized he was not starting material after a couple years. He was, however, a knowledgeable and competant backup, and brought value to the team as a very good holder. If Nall would learn to be a good holder, he could have a Doug Pederson-like career, and there is nothing wrong with that. Players insist Nall is a great lockerroom guy, and well-liked by teammates. But he needs to contribute something. Holding could be the answer. I doubt he is anyones "QB of the future".

gureski
09-09-2006, 12:55 PM

I posted earlier on this thread that I thought he had a weak arm. That comes from my observations from field level, throwing next to Favre and Rodgers, with Grossman and Orton tossing on the other end. It seemed pretty obvious to me, but I won't claim to have a scout's eye.

Why stop there.... When the hell has anyone seen Craig Nall play? He never earns his way onto the damn field! He had to drop down to Division 2 in order to play football in college. He had to go to NFL Europe to start. He's never even started an NFL Pre-Season game! Think about that! He's in Buffalo and was healthy by the third pre-season game....Holcombe started one game... Losman started a game... Nall didn't. ANd the regime in Buffalo has no loyalty to Losman to say it's a situation where they're pushing the higher drafted player. They didn't draft Losman! They actually pushed Holbome int he drivers seat for the starter job but Losman won the job back.

Thre thread is valid and belongs here because it's important for the credability of all Packer fans for all of us to recognize when we get carried away so we can not make the same mistakes in the future. People were falling over each other to praise Nall and why? What had he ever done? What had he ever shown to deserve the praise he received? It's also important to talk about this to recognize which guys have credability in their comments and which guys have their heads up their rears. If you still can't admit that you were wrong on Nall right now then why should anyone believe anything you say about anything? You're obviously not objective in your comments.

That and this topic is an old favorite of many, including myself.

gureski
09-09-2006, 12:58 PM

Actually, Gureski, it goes back even further. If you remember from the JSO thread, according to at least one poster Nall had to leave LSU because of the politics that prevented him from his rightful spot as the starting QB at LSU.

I wrote last year, and I will repeat it again. Nall needs to have a Doug Pederson type awakening. Pederson left GB to become a starter, but realized he was not starting material after a couple years. He was, however, a knowledgeable and competant backup, and brought value to the team as a very good holder. If Nall would learn to be a good holder, he could have a Doug Pederson-like career, and there is nothing wrong with that. Players insist Nall is a great lockerroom guy, and well-liked by teammates. But he needs to contribute something. Holding could be the answer. I doubt he is anyones "QB of the future".

You are correct and the only reason it got to politics in college was because Nall was injured and couldn't answer the call when the coach finally looked to him to play. There is always some excuse out of that camp and it's getting ridiculous.

My beef isn't with Nall. I never heard him say he was screwed over. He tries. It's the nut-cases that run around praising the guy and inventing things to hype about him. Strong arm? When did he showcase this strong arm since he rarely played and stunk it up in practice? Shouldn't a guy have to prove something in order to be credited with that attribute? It's the lack of thought process by many and the willingness to believe something just because they want to believe it, not because it's true, that bothers me.

Favre4
09-09-2006, 01:19 PM
I think this is comical. Why all the Nall hate. You guys said he was going to get cut the last three years yet he didn't and earned himself a decent free agent contract.

- When has anyone seen Nall play. Here is a rerfresher. How about the 2004 season when he was the backup after Pedersuck got injured. Here are the stats he put up in the regular season to refresh your memory.

23/33 69.7% 314 4tds 0ints

Those damn near perfect outings led to getting zero number two reps in 2005 preseason.

They went to Rodgers who put these numbers up.
20/37 172 1 td 2 int and looking pretty lost, which is understandable for a rookie. He earned the #2 spot on nothing more than draft selection. It wasnt due to experience or grasp of the system.

Patler
09-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Strong arm? When did he showcase this strong arm since he rarely played and stunk it up in practice?

With the JAVELIN, Gureski, the JAVELIN. Have you forgotten? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

aviper2k7
09-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Haha I think 7-13 131yds 1TD against the Bears in one quarter is pretty good.

Bretsky
09-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Patler,

The poster you are referring to was named Ibatiger.

B

Patler
09-09-2006, 01:58 PM
You should never confuse a backup QB's performance in limited appearances, perhaps with an abbreviated offensive strategy, with his ability to run the team's complete offensive package as needed over a season.

The Packer coaches continually commented on Nall's inconsistency in running plays in practice, even last year after his 2004 performance. Bevell said he would run a play correctly once and completely wrong the next time. I suspect this type of inconsistency has been what has prevented him from having more opportunities.

Bretsky
09-09-2006, 02:03 PM
On a sidenote, when the debates with Ibatiger were going on I referred to him as being Craig Nall's wife two times. Some relatives of Nall read that forum and notified her and she registered with the forum and send me a private email.

For the heck of it I still keep that email. She assured me that Ibatiger was not her and he was a friend of Craig's fathers and asked me to clarify that Ibatiger was not her in case anybody made further accusations. That sure made things real.

B

Patler
09-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Patler,

B

Ya, I know. I just don't usually like to directly call out a person long after the fact. Opinions can change. That won't, however, prevent me from calling them out at the time, or calling you out in the future for your position on a certain nameless LB the Packers didn't draft last year!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (I know you can take it!)

Some suspected that Ibatiger was someone very close to Nall. They seemed to know an awful lot about his personal history.

Bretsky
09-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Patler,

B

Ya, I know. I just don't usually like to directly call out a person long after the fact. Opinions can change. That won't, however, prevent me from calling them out at the time, or calling you out in the future for your position on a certain nameless LB the Packers didn't draft last year!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (I know you can take it!)

Some suspected that Ibatiger was someone very close to Nall. They seemed to know an awful lot about his personal history.

For the record I'm a stubborn one and am not going to admit I was wrong about Odell Thurman yet :mrgreen:

From the email I received Amanda confirmed Ibatiger was indeed somebody close to the family.

B

Patler
09-09-2006, 02:06 PM
On a sidenote, when the debates with Ibatiger were going on I referred to him as being Craig Nall's wife two times. Some relatives of Nall read that forum and notified her and she registered with the forum and send me a private email.

For the heck of it I still keep that email. She assured me that Ibatiger was not her and he was a friend of Craig's fathers and asked me to clarify that Ibatiger was not her in case anybody made further accusations. That sure made things real.

B

Intersting! I remember the "Mrs. Nall" accusations, but don't recall you recanting last year. Did you ever mention the email at JSO?

Bretsky
09-09-2006, 02:11 PM

B

Intersting! I remember the "Mrs. Nall" accusations, but don't recall you recanting last year. Did you ever mention the email at JSO?

No I did not; I was the one always making the Nall Cracks. I cut that out after receiving the email and no other cracks were made so I never did mention it. I keep in touch with a few via email and mentioned it to them; I was surprised, but thought it was pretty cool as well.

Brett

gureski
09-14-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm speechless. This is my thing...the Nall thread. I'm a one thread wonder and Nobody bothered to tell me Nall's wife was reading along?

For the record, I was the only guy who made a convincing argument that Nall was one of the best QB's in the world.

Bottom line is that this was never a Nall rip session. It's still not. The point was to cool down the rhetoric about Nall being the next great franchise QB. People were, and still are in some instances, over stating Nall's abilities. I was fighting for some fairness in the conversation. Some objective thought. People were getting so out of hand and they never had anything to back up their comments. It was out of hand. Many still are out of hand. Such as the guy way above who changes the criteria for Nall's success from earning the #1 or #2 job in Buffalo to the amount of money he got as a free agent. It may never end but the point sure as hell has been made.

Hope his wife wasn't offended. I should also point out that I did stand up for Nall and still to this day say he didn't steal the Kielbasa.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2006, 12:56 PM
The point was to cool down the rhetoric about Nall being the next great franchise QB.

Huh. I don't remember anybody taking this position.

I'm sorry Nall was out of training camp this summer.