PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: Week 3 vs. Cincinnati

pbmax
09-24-2017, 08:22 PM
Huge OT win. Packers were 0-8 in OT during Rodgers tenure, at least one of those was a playoff game. 6 of those losses were on the road.

http://pfref.com/tiny/qJIMs

pbmax
09-24-2017, 08:22 PM
Green Bay Packers‏ @packers 53m53 minutes ago

Rodgers: This team took a big step forward in confidence. Good for our young guys to see it's never over til it's over. Nice comeback.

Rodgers: That's a character win, 100 percent...There's some studs not playing. No excuses. Guys out there are expected to play & play well.

Rodgers: It's a big win for us, especially on a short week. #CINvsGB #GoPackGo

pbmax
09-24-2017, 08:25 PM
Green Bay Packers @packers 1h1 hour ago

McCarthy on @813Geronimo: No surprise on Geronimo. You could see it coming in preseason. Taking the leap, plays with a lot of confidence.

McCarthy on @AaronRodgers12: He was tremendous today. Had a lot to deal with, lot of adjustments going on. #CINvsGB

McCarthy: Excellent win. We knew this was going to be a tough one. Very good win for us today. #CINvsGB

woodbuck27
09-24-2017, 08:30 PM
Huge OT win. Packers were 0-8 in OT during Rodgers tenure, at least one of those was a playoff game. 6 of those losses were on the road.

http://www.gurufathasingh.com/uploads/3/8/9/9/3899656/864249.png?670

pbmax
09-24-2017, 08:30 PM
Team Stats CB GB

First Downs 20 22
Passes for First 13 15
Rushes for First 5 3
Penalties for First 2 4
Third Down Efficiency 3-10 7-15
Fourth Down Efficiency 0-0 0-0
Total Yards 301 344
Total Plays 60 65
Avg Gain Per Play 5.0 5.3
Net Yards Rushing 110 64
Rushes 30 17
Yards Per Rush 3.7 3.8

Stat Name
Net Yards Passing 191 280
Comp-Att 21-27 28-42
Yards Per Pass 6.4 5.8
Times Sacked 3 6
Yds Lost To Sacks 21 33
Interceptions Thrown 0 1

Punts 6 6
Punt Average 61.0 54.5
Penalties 7 4
Penalty Yards 69 33
Fumbles 1 0
Fumbles Lost 1 0
ToP 34:20 35:40

woodbuck27
09-24-2017, 08:32 PM
A huge OT win !

A tough TNF game Vs Da Bears up next.

mraynrand
09-24-2017, 08:49 PM
McCarthy on @813Geronimo: No surprise on Geronimo. You could see it coming in preseason. Taking the leap, plays with a lot of confidence.

Stubby is high on Geronimo.

QBME
09-24-2017, 08:53 PM
Man, I dunno. I realize the O-Line is down a couple of starters, but Ty Montgomery just doesn't look like an NFL running back. To my eye there is a lack of cut back and/or outside burst of speed and swerve.

I applaud his willingness to accept his reassignment in the offense, but I haven't seen any flash, gash or dash over the first three games.

denverYooper
09-24-2017, 08:53 PM
Stubby is high on Geronimo.

I see what you did there.

Maxie the Taxi
09-24-2017, 08:57 PM
Man, I dunno. I realize the O-Line is down a couple of starters, but Ty Montgomery just doesn't look like an NFL running back. To my eye there is a lack of cut back and/or outside burst of speed and swerve.

I applaud his willingness to accept his reassignment in the offense, but I haven't seen any flash, gash or dash over the first three games.+1 He just seems slow to hit the hole and very little after contact yards. Disappointing.

woodbuck27
09-24-2017, 09:04 PM

I applaud his willingness to accept his reassignment in the offense, but I haven't seen any flash, gash or dash over the first three games.

I hoped that TT would bring in LaGarrette Blount. I watched some of the Giants @ Eagles game today and Blount does some nice things.

Rushing Car Yds Avg TDs

L. Blount 12 67 5.6 1

hoosier
09-24-2017, 09:06 PM
Rodgers was O for whatever in games where he had been sacked six or more times. One of the more memorable ones was the 2009 game in GB against Bungles.

First win in how long in a game where the Pack had never led before the final play.

Pugger
09-24-2017, 09:16 PM

He didn't have a lot of room to run today and was tackled often before he could turn up-field. But he still stinks at blocking back there. Until our tackles return I hope MM puts Rip in there instead on obvious passing downs before Rodgers gets killed.

KYPack
09-24-2017, 10:00 PM

Yeah, I agree with your assessment. On a couple plays, one in particular, he missed a gaping hole and turned a run of a yard. He's far from an instinctive runner and leaves some plays on the field for us.

ThunderDan
09-24-2017, 10:07 PM

At least 3 playoff OT games I can think of. Arizona, Seattle, Arizona

Joemailman
09-24-2017, 11:01 PM
Back from the game. So much for the Frozen Tundra. We were lucky. Were in the shadows much of the game. People in the northeast end were in the sun most of the day. Had to be like a sauna.
Josh Jones is awesome. Geronimo is the real deal. King battled. He's arguably faced the 2 best WR's in the NFL the last 2 weeks and hasn't backed down. Rodgers is one call away from having 3 straight games where he gave the other team a TD. He needs to clean that up. Monty looked indecisive.

mraynrand
09-24-2017, 11:30 PM

there isn't a hole big enough to stick your - finger - in out there.

Monty's problems: - no TOP in the first half, team got down and 'had' to pass, and the O-line bites right now.
Honestly, the Cincy defenders were just sprinting to Rodgers. No one was even thinking run at all, and when the Packers tried, the defenders were disrupting everything. That was a clusterfavre out there.

mraynrand
09-24-2017, 11:32 PM
Back from the game. So much for the Frozen Tundra. We were lucky. Were in the shadows much of the game. People in the northeast end were in the sun most of the day. Had to be like a sauna.
Josh Jones is awesome. Geronimo is the real deal. King battled. He's arguably faced the 2 best WR's in the NFL the last 2 weeks and hasn't backed down. Rodgers is one call away from having 3 straight games where he gave the other team a TD. He needs to clean that up. Monty looked indecisive.

Rodgers had his eyes on Nelson the whole time - and his head turned. Also, the lack of a deep game (because of the pass rush) allowed the defensive backs to sit on the short patterns.

call_me_ishmael
09-24-2017, 11:42 PM
I was going to post the Packers don't have a vertical game at all after Week 2 but they did get it going a little bit here today. Remember in 2014 when they seemed to hit a deep 50 yd+ TD weekly? What happened there? Is it just that Nelly lost his speed? I expect to see them focused on OL, WR, and DL next year in the draft.

mraynrand
09-24-2017, 11:59 PM
I was going to post the Packers don't have a vertical game at all after Week 2 but they did get it going a little bit here today.

O line can't block it up

run pMc
09-25-2017, 12:14 AM
Reading a lot of Josh Jones Kool Aid...was he really that good? I saw some bad but mostly good...but want to see more before calling him a great pick...am I missing something?
King seemed to do ok, had a tough assignment with Green who had a big day but for a rookie I don't recall much as far as blowing coverage.

Martinez played decent run D at times, even Randall wasn't bad. When (if) this team can get healthy they could be a tough out. Really want to see the 1st string OT's play. Jahri Evans and Ahmad Brooks were good pickups.

mmmdk
09-25-2017, 05:53 AM
We learned a lot: Huge ot win for Packers. Bengals must be beating their heads against a wall for letting Packers come back and win it. Packers corners still suck. If Rodgers is not playing near perfect then WE are the Bengals. Depth at OL, DL, LB and secondary is only slightly better than last season sans at CB which still sucks. It's going to be difficult to duplicate last seasons Rodgers heroics as I bevielve in balanced (D & O) teams with depth win championships. I think it'll be a fun season but no cigar...but Rodgers is unreal so there's always a heros hail mary of a chance!

Guiness
09-25-2017, 06:47 AM
O line can't block it up

It occurs to me that Branden Albert is sitting on his couch waiting for the phone to ring.

texaspackerbacker
09-25-2017, 07:00 AM
I'm thinking the roots of this season go back several years when the Packers started fast and then burned out in the end. Last year, it seemed there was a concerted effort not to do that. This year, it kinda seems like the coaching staff is saying let's not burn out, but let's also not get in a hole, record-wise either. That maybe takes the injuries out of the equation, but it seems more plausible to me than that the team is really no better than it has played the last two weeks.

pbmax
09-25-2017, 07:43 AM
It occurs to me that Branden Albert is sitting on his couch waiting for the phone to ring.

I bet Murphy gets one more week to prove it. That kid he was against looked unstoppable, but if it repeats then its a bigger issue.

Would also depend on Bach returning in short order after 10 days after the Thursday game.

pbmax
09-25-2017, 07:45 AM
Reading a lot of Josh Jones Kool Aid...was he really that good? I saw some bad but mostly good...but want to see more before calling him a great pick...am I missing something?
King seemed to do ok, had a tough assignment with Green who had a big day but for a rookie I don't recall much as far as blowing coverage.

Martinez played decent run D at times, even Randall wasn't bad. When (if) this team can get healthy they could be a tough out. Really want to see the 1st string OT's play. Jahri Evans and Ahmad Brooks were good pickups.

It was only one game, so he's not that good yet. And we had a nice view and replay of one play that he and his teammate blew the coverage on.

So he has more to work on, plus teams might give him some specifics looks now that they have tape of what he likes to do.

But the thing is, even more than Dix, he looked like a proverbial field tilter back there, something not seen since the heady days of Nick Collins, Charles Woodson or Yuri Gregarin.

pbmax
09-25-2017, 07:48 AM
They still hit one per game, last week it was the Adams TD (not sure if from 50 yards but it was a bomb).

But they do not do it regularly like they used to and the rest of the game is much shorter these days.

Pugger
09-25-2017, 07:53 AM
We learned a lot: Huge ot win for Packers. Bengals must be beating their heads against a wall for letting Packers come back and win it. Packers corners still suck. If Rodgers is not playing near perfect then WE are the Bengals. Depth at OL, DL, LB and secondary is only slightly better than last season sans at CB which still sucks. It's going to be difficult to duplicate last seasons Rodgers heroics as I bevielve in balanced (D & O) teams with depth win championships. I think it'll be a fun season but no cigar...but Rodgers is unreal so there's always a heros hail mary of a chance!

Most teams are gonna suffer if 5 starters are in street clothes like ours were yesterday.

pbmax
09-25-2017, 08:27 AM
Hey, I called one right!

Wilde: http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/packers-rookie-defensive-backs-create-buzz-in-win-over-bengals/article_1f8b6389-6e4c-5f3d-8aba-6cc48838e603.html

On Sunday, Capers employed a four-safety look – Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Marwin Evans at traditional safety, Burnett mostly in the slot and Jones as the hybrid inside linebacker

bobblehead
09-25-2017, 08:50 AM

Thought it was 0-7. Of the 7 we lost the toss in 4 and Rodgers never saw the field. In all 7 defense allowed a score at earliest opportunity.

mmmdk
09-25-2017, 08:54 AM
Most teams are gonna suffer if 5 starters are in street clothes like ours were yesterday.

And none of the 5 injured players were a HOF'er named Aaron Rodgers - this ain't my first rodeo! AR threw a rare pick six yesterday and he had to be perfect for the rest of the game for this Packers team to win. Fortunately there's a lot of talent and help on offense but we don't get those 9-0 wins (versus NY Jets 2010) where the Packers defense just won games for us. Green Bay Packers is a solidly built football club with a HOF QB. Only one or two QBs in the league could carry this franchise to be the contender that they are now with AR.

In modern football you actually win SBs without a top 5 QB...IF you have a great defense. Ravens, Seahawks, Broncos (Peyton was done) and to some extend the two Giants SB wins but Eli Manning was a HOF in those games. My point is; with a great defense and a well balanced built team, you don't need a HOF QB to play hero ball. Packers need a Greek god-like QB to win the SB and that's becoming a rarer thing to win in that fashion - Brady is a HOF QB but he's had much better teams. Packers won their last SB with a much better roster that overcame injuries, had a great defense and had an emerging HOF QB. Rodgers has actually played better since the SB win with only some minor slumps. To me, Aaron Rodgers is the best QB I've ever seen play but I can't truely judge any QB from before the 1980'ties. I want AR to win the 14th and even the 15th NFL championship for Green Bay. I just don't like the odds.

bobblehead
09-25-2017, 08:57 AM

He runs like Bell. He scrapes the line looking for a lane. It just so happens that this OL isn't providing a lane. He isn't your typical guy who puts his head down for 4 yards. It has strengths and weaknesses. For my money he is right there with any back we have had in the last decade. Get our OL back in tact and I think you will all change your opinion.

I have stated for eternity that the OL makes the back not vice versa with about 2 exceptions in the entire league at any moment. It always amazes me that great OLs are blessed with 3-4 good RBs on a team at a time, but McCray, Patrick and Pancky are stuck with a stiff like Monty. Think how good they would look if we had Tony Fischer and Najeh Davenport back there@!!@!

bobblehead
09-25-2017, 09:01 AM
. King battled. He's arguably faced the 2 best WR's in the NFL the last 2 weeks and hasn't backed down. Rodgers is one call away from having 3 straight games where he gave the other team a TD. He needs to clean that up. Monty looked indecisive.

NO excuses...King sucked. Don't care who was blocking for him...er he was matched up against.

We need this guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHFgaDm3hpA

channtheman
09-25-2017, 09:05 AM
And none of the 5 injured players were a HOF'er named Aaron Rodgers - this ain't my first rodeo! AR threw a rare pick six yesterday and he had to be perfect for the rest of the game for this Packers team to win. Fortunately there's a lot of talent and help on offense but we don't get those 9-0 wins (versus NY Jets 2010) where the Packers defense just won games for us. Green Bay Packers is a solidly built football club with a HOF QB. Only one or two QBs in the league could carry this franchise to be the contender that they are now with AR.

In modern football you actually win SBs without a top 5 QB...IF you have a great defense. Ravens, Seahawks, Broncos (Peyton was done) and to some extend the two Giants SB wins but Eli Manning was a HOF in those games. My point is; with a great defense and a well balanced built team, you don't need a HOF QB to play hero ball. Packers need a Greek god-like QB to win the SB and that's becoming a rarer thing to win in that fashion - Brady is a HOF QB but he's had much better teams. Packers won their last SB with a much better roster that overcame injuries, had a great defense and had an emerging HOF QB. Rodgers has actually played better since the SB win with only some minor slumps. To me, Aaron Rodgers is the best QB I've ever seen play but I can't truely judge any QB from before the 1980'ties. I want AR to win the 14th and even the 15th NFL championship for Green Bay. I just don't like the odds.

Good post and I agree. You just need a QB who manages the game well and occasionally makes a terrific play.

bobblehead
09-25-2017, 09:06 AM
Hey, I called one right!

Wilde: http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/packers-rookie-defensive-backs-create-buzz-in-win-over-bengals/article_1f8b6389-6e4c-5f3d-8aba-6cc48838e603.html

Yea, I commented during the game to friends that when Brice comes back we have a good problem. 4 safeties you want on the field. Ghostpepper played pretty damn good and despite a couple bad coverage handoffs he was a gamechanger. Brice is a thumper. HaHa is a probowler and MM still loves Burnett.

pbmax
09-25-2017, 09:10 AM
Thought it was 0-7. Of the 7 we lost the toss in 4 and Rodgers never saw the field. In all 7 defense allowed a score at earliest opportunity.

One was a Minnesota game where Flynn got it to OT.

Teamcheez1
09-25-2017, 09:11 AM
Good post and I agree. You just need a QB who manages the game well and occasionally makes a terrific play.

No one has won a Superbowl without a good QB the last ten years with possibly the only exception being Manning, who still had a good year.
You don't have to be a HOF QB, but the way the game is evolving with rule changes, etc., you won't be sniffing a SB anytime soon without a great QB.

pbmax
09-25-2017, 09:14 AM
In fairness, Lazor had a bad offense but one big advantage.

One of the Packers on the postgame show (Lowry I think) said they watched preseason and game film of only the Bengals. So they got a lot of unscouted looks from the Benglas and Lazor.

They fixed the run D in the second half and closed up on that offense, which a functional defense should do. Wth one exception, they got the ball back for the offense. On the one scoring play in the second half, the Bengals had good field position and the D game up a big play but then held for a FG.

It wasn't a fire drill and they tightened up. They are not there yet, but there were still encouraging signs.

Maxie the Taxi
09-25-2017, 09:19 AM

In modern football you actually win SBs without a top 5 QB...IF you have a great defense. Ravens, Seahawks, Broncos (Peyton was done) and to some extend the two Giants SB wins but Eli Manning was a HOF in those games. My point is; with a great defense and a well balanced built team, you don't need a HOF QB to play hero ball. Packers need a Greek god-like QB to win the SB and that's becoming a rarer thing to win in that fashion - Brady is a HOF QB but he's had much better teams. Packers won their last SB with a much better roster that overcame injuries, had a great defense and had an emerging HOF QB. Rodgers has actually played better since the SB win with only some minor slumps. To me, Aaron Rodgers is the best QB I've ever seen play but I can't truely judge any QB from before the 1980'ties. I want AR to win the 14th and even the 15th NFL championship for Green Bay. I just don't like the odds.I don't know about all that. All I know is that a terrific Defense ALWAYS shows up on Sunday, whereas a terrific Offense sometimes doesn't. So if you are depending on a super Offense to carry your team, be prepared for occasional disappointments, especially in big games and especially in the playoffs.

In the old days Starr and company were terrific and won many games for the Pack, but that Offense occasionally was stymied. It was the Packers great defense of that era that kept them in games and won them championships.

mraynrand
09-25-2017, 09:57 AM
All I know is that a terrific Defense ALWAYS shows up on Sunday, whereas a terrific Offense sometimes doesn't.

Wonder how the Ravens feel about this.

Maxie the Taxi
09-25-2017, 10:08 AM
Wonder how the Ravens feel about this.Well you can't just have defense. lol

mmmdk
09-25-2017, 10:26 AM
I don't know about all that. All I know is that a terrific Defense ALWAYS shows up on Sunday, whereas a terrific Offense sometimes doesn't. So if you are depending on a super Offense to carry your team, be prepared for occasional disappointments, especially in big games and especially in the playoffs.

In the old days Starr and company were terrific and won many games for the Pack, but that Offense occasionally was stymied. It was the Packers great defense of that era that kept them in games and won them championships.

I think we are in total agreement. :glug:

run pMc
09-25-2017, 12:20 PM
In fairness, Lazor had a bad offense but one big advantage.

One of the Packers on the postgame show (Lowry I think) said they watched preseason and game film of only the Bengals. So they got a lot of unscouted looks from the Benglas and Lazor.

They fixed the run D in the second half and closed up on that offense, which a functional defense should do. Wth one exception, they got the ball back for the offense. On the one scoring play in the second half, the Bengals had good field position and the D game up a big play but then held for a FG.

It wasn't a fire drill and they tightened up. They are not there yet, but there were still encouraging signs.

I realize it's a "what-if", but Mixon slipping on that 3rd and 1 was a big play. That drive would have likely kept going and *possibly* ended up as 7 instead of 3 points. Still, if this defense can hold teams to 17-21 points per game they are contenders because of their offense.

Harlan Huckleby
09-25-2017, 12:32 PM
Still, if this defense can hold teams to 17-21 points per game they are contenders because of their offense.

Contenders for what? Packer offense hasn't been great for several years, and now with iffy O-line, they are more reliant on Rodgers voodoo than ever.

Maybe parity in the NFL means lots of teams are contenders.

Packers so look like a pretty solid team, other than lack of depth at O-line. They're good, not special.

call_me_ishmael
09-25-2017, 03:12 PM
This had me LOLing. One of the finest gifs I've ever seen.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPackers/comments/72d0tt/me_watching_mason_ice_in_his_veins_crosby_over/

Zool
09-25-2017, 03:25 PM
Contenders for what? Packer offense hasn't been great for several years, and now with iffy O-line, they are more reliant on Rodgers voodoo than ever.

Maybe parity in the NFL means lots of teams are contenders.

Packers so look like a pretty solid team, other than lack of depth at O-line. They're good, not special.

15th through 3 http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame
4th http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/year/2016
15th http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/year/2015
1st http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/year/2014
8th http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/year/2013
5th http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/year/2012
1st http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/year/2011
10th http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/year/2010

Unless you don't count scoring average as a good metric for an offense.

pbmax
09-25-2017, 04:05 PM
Uh oh.

Wes Hodkiewicz @WesHod 3m3 minutes ago

The #Packers place Brett Goode on IR and re-sign LS Taybor Pepper, who spent time with Green Bay during the offseason program

Bossman641
09-25-2017, 04:50 PM
Anyone know what play this was after?

https://www.totalpackers.com/2017/09/aaron-rodgers-stupid-fucking-call/

Joemailman
09-25-2017, 05:41 PM

It was following a 1st down incomplete pass to Ty Montgomery. The clock is showing 1:50 left in the 3rd quarter. Of course, there's a good chance Montgomery was not the primary target on the play call. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201709240gnb.htm

Rutnstrut
09-25-2017, 10:36 PM

This was in the gameday thread I asked who Rodgers was yelling at. I'm pretty sure it was stubby.

pbmax
09-26-2017, 08:34 AM
Now I wish I hadn't deleted the game.

hoosier
09-26-2017, 09:01 AM

A serious addict such as yourself should really just fork out the hundred bucks for Game Pass, don't ya think? :-)

hoosier
09-26-2017, 09:01 AM

A serious addict such as yourself should really just fork out the hundred bucks for Game Pass, don't ya think? :-)

pbmax
09-26-2017, 09:32 AM

Probably, but when it comes time to purchase, I hesitate: "Do I really want to pay $99 to know what play Rodgers thought was dumb?"

KYPack
09-26-2017, 09:44 AM
He also chewed out Adams with a "WTF were you doing" holler at an early point in the game.

call_me_ishmael
09-26-2017, 09:54 AM
Hot take: I don't think I'd pay Devante Adams 12M/year. I don't think he's a #1. He is a very productive player in GB, but I don't see him producing the way he does here elsewhere.

mraynrand
09-26-2017, 10:10 AM

I looked at it and can't figure it out. The play was four wides, and The left end Dunlap beat Bulaga right off the snap. Monty went left to help Murphy and was turning to be a target for a short pass, but Rodgers was on the ground in a couple of seconds. He threw the ball and it reached the LOS, but he wasn't quite out of the pocket, or so it seemed. Also possible Dunlap guilty of horse collar tackle but that's a stretch. Referees conferred about something, then moved off, then Rodgers said bullshit call in their direction. I assume it was about the tackle, because they didn't call intentional grounding. I can't imagine that Rodgers was upset over the play call, because the whole play was killed instantly because Bulaga whiffed. And Rodgers didn't even yell at Bulaga nor at Monty (for possibly not helping Bulaga, which would be unlikely anyway).

pbmax
09-26-2017, 12:09 PM
Wait, was there a near offside on that play?

Fosco33
09-28-2017, 08:55 AM
A few observations from my madden view end zone seats.

The flyover was really cool - and the pilot came back and did the 'w' for Wisconsin later.
The Manitowoc Minute guy is doing roll out the barrel tonight. Dudes funny as hell. Look it up.

The crowd, as always, took a little bit to get on their feet - but holy shit it was loud in 4th and OT.
On Adams fumble/down by contact - sure looked like a hit to the head and/or ground causing the fumble. Either way - that could've been really bad.
Watching Bulaga try to get in his stance was painful as a fan. Not sure why the coaches let him keep going back out there...
We really miss Daniels. Lowry was getting destroyed in the first half.