PDA

View Full Version : Duds and Studs, Bears Edition

pbmax
09-29-2017, 11:58 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/09/29/4-downs-packers-must-rely-young-running-backs/715610001/

On Thursday night he had a gross average of 47.6 yards, including a career long 62-yarder, and a net average of 46.2, which means he’s getting enough hang time on his long kicks to give his teammates a chance to cover. The Bears have an exciting young returner in rookie Tarik Cohen, but he averaged only 3.5 yards on his two returns.

Studs
Rodgers
Vogel
Lane Taylor
Jahri Evans
McCarthy's passing concepts, bunches, picks, crosses its like he wants to beat man coverage this year

Duds
Randall (started out OK, then blew another coverage)
Safeties (tackling)
Bennett
D line pass rush (except for Clark)

Maxie the Taxi
09-29-2017, 12:21 PM
On offense, I've got to say COBB and NELSON were studs and maybe (Taybor Pepper for not screwing up). Defensive studs have to include MARTINEZ and maybe MATTHEWS.

Cheesehead Craig
09-29-2017, 12:49 PM
I'll give a shout out to Brooks, he was really good vs the run from what I remember.

Freak Out
09-29-2017, 12:55 PM
Zebras were duds.

Smidgeon
09-29-2017, 01:48 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/09/29/4-downs-packers-must-rely-young-running-backs/715610001/

Studs
Rodgers
Vogel
Lane Taylor
Jahri Evans
McCarthy's passing concepts, bunches, picks, crosses its like he wants to beat man coverage this year

Duds
Randall (started out OK, then blew another coverage)
Safeties (tackling)
Bennett
D line pass rush (except for Clark)

Why was 2011 so successful and each year since seems like a struggle to get the ball downfield?

Maxie the Taxi
09-29-2017, 03:09 PM
Why was 2011 so successful and each year since seems like a struggle to get the ball downfield?Three reasons: Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Jermichael Finley (in addition to Jordy Nelson).

Smidgeon
09-29-2017, 03:14 PM
Three reasons: Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Jermichael Finley (in addition to Jordy Nelson).

Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson, Marty B (in addition to Geronimo! Allison).

My gut says it was schematic concepts too, but I don't know enough to point it out. I remember the offense scoring so quickly and easily the defense was on the field a lot and often gassed. Did defenses catch up?

ThunderDan
09-29-2017, 03:19 PM
Duds - Stomach flu

I made it to about 9:45 feeling like shit. Then was puking my guts out. Listened to the game for a while curled up around the toilet. I made it until Adams was blown up listening on the floor. Couldn't make it any longer and went to bed.

texaspackerbacker
09-29-2017, 03:50 PM
Studs: Aaron Rodgers (many take him for granted hahahaha), Randall Cobb, Ty Montgomery, Aaron Jones, the left side of the O Line, Jordy Nelson (after the two early drops), Matthews (best he's been this year although not up to his prime years), Blake Martinez, Haha Clinton-Dix (not just the interception), Josh Hawkins, Joe Thomas

Duds: Jamal Williams, Kevin King (not horrible but maybe a step backward), Ricky Jean Francois (I think he was the one getting run right over consistently on the last TD drive), Damarious Randall (if the story is like people are saying)

One additional Dud: the doom and gloom people in here and elsewhere who actually thought the Packers would lose to the Bears or let it be a close game.

Maxie the Taxi
09-29-2017, 04:04 PM
Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson, Marty B (in addition to Geronimo! Allison).

My gut says it was schematic concepts too, but I don't know enough to point it out. I remember the offense scoring so quickly and easily the defense was on the field a lot and often gassed. Did defenses catch up?I don't know much about schemes either. I do think that Packer fans tend to undervalue Jennings. We've got no one like him now, even Jordy. I compare him to Antonio Brown. And I'd take Finley in a heartbeat over Marty. Ditto Driver over Allison. Cobb I'll give you.

Joemailman
09-29-2017, 04:07 PM
Stud - James Campen. Had 4 Guards out there and made it work.

Lane Taylor - Didn't hear his name much. That's what you want.

Bossman641
09-29-2017, 04:13 PM
Duds - Stomach flu

I made it to about 9:45 feeling like shit. Then was puking my guts out. Listened to the game for a while curled up around the toilet. I made it until Adams was blown up listening on the floor. Couldn't make it any longer and went to bed.

You know your duty for next Sunday then right?

red
09-29-2017, 04:30 PM
Duds - Stomach flu

on the plus side, you should lose a lot of weight

i once lost 17 pounds overnight because of the stomach flu

RashanGary
09-29-2017, 04:43 PM
I was at game, so maybe missed some things, but Josh Hawkins broke up three passes. Looks like a better cover guy than Randall and Rollins.

RashanGary
09-29-2017, 04:46 PM
King, Hawkins and House seem alright to me.
Brice, Burnett and dix are really good.

By seasons end, hopefully with a health bounce or two going our way, our secondary might be alright.

Tony Oday
09-29-2017, 04:49 PM
Good bye Randall you are terrible and a quitter. Jones Nice damn running, actually looked like an NFL RB.

Tony Romo, guy is awesome to listen too.

Fritz
09-29-2017, 04:50 PM
I don't know much about schemes either. I do think that Packer fans tend to undervalue Jennings. We've got no one like him now, even Jordy. I compare him to Antonio Brown. And I'd take Finley in a heartbeat over Marty. Ditto Driver over Allison. Cobb I'll give you.

I agree with you here. For the space of what, about three years, I believe he was one of the very best receivers in the entire NFL. He was smooth as glass running routes - he could get more open than a New York hooker. And he had the hands, plus the moves to get lots of YAC. Loved him. But he didn't last for a long time.

The other Packer wide receiver that I don't think really got his due was Robert Brooks. He could run over the middle, make tough catches, get open, score touchdowns. I think he got hurt just as he was coming into his prime, and was never the same. But for a brief period, he was incredible. Far better than Antonio Freeman, in my estimation.

smuggler
09-29-2017, 05:57 PM
Jennings was a really special player and that and the pass blocking made 2011 what it was.

Upnorth
09-29-2017, 06:31 PM
Is it just me or are our ilb the best we have had since 2009?

RashanGary
09-29-2017, 06:58 PM
After two bad offenses, one average one and one great one, packers have the 8th ranked defense on yards per game right now.

Considering competion and injury and then looking into the future...... honestly, I think they could be legit top 10! Now, if we can just get a little healthy at our OT position, we have a shot to be a top tier offense and top 10 defense.

After 4 games, I could see SB still. I'm feeling like we're in that tier.

texaspackerbacker
09-29-2017, 07:13 PM
Both Brooks and Freeman had real burst whether it showed up on a timer or not. Jennings didn't seem to have that. He was a good route runner, but not a game breaker like the others. Jennings reminds me of Cobb in terms of lack of burst but not the route running; Jordy reminds me of the other two with his burst and with a good dose of route running ability too. The jury is still out on Adams.

texaspackerbacker
09-29-2017, 07:19 PM
After two bad offenses, one average one and one great one, packers have the 8th ranked defense on yards per game right now.

Considering competion and injury and then looking into the future...... honestly, I think they could be legit top 10! Now, if we can just get a little healthy at our OT position, we have a shot to be a top tier offense and top 10 defense.

After 4 games, I could see SB still. I'm feeling like we're in that tier.

Hell yeah, SB! Crippled as it has been, our D is probably better than that 8th ranking.

The Bengal offense may have bad stats, but their talent level is way up there - I'm assuming they were one of the bad offenses you mentioned.

Cheesehead Craig
09-29-2017, 07:29 PM

That's a lot of Cheetos

denverYooper
09-29-2017, 07:43 PM
Good bye Randall you are terrible and a quitter. Jones Nice damn running, actually looked like an NFL RB.

Tony Romo, guy is awesome to listen too.

Romo's tactical stream-of-consciousness is fun but what really hit me last night was his sense of humor. The guy has a knack for entertainment.

2 prime examples: 1.) McCarthy caught dropping multiple F-bombs on camera. Romo immediately modulates slightly to this aww-shucks voice, "oh shoot. Gosh darn it!"
2.) Guessing a 4th-and-short playcall correctly as a bootleg saying "McCarthy seems like a bootleg guy, don't you think?" Nantz noted every goddamn bootleg for the rest of the game after that because not only was Romo right, he was slightly hilarious in doing so.

QBME
09-29-2017, 07:51 PM
Stud - James Campen. Had 4 Guards out there and made it work.

Lane Taylor - Didn't hear his name much. That's what you want.

Along the same line - Stud: Mike McCarthy. He lost all his tackles, had to use four guards and a center. First series was brilliant, run, run, run. After all, what do guards do best? Run block. It worked like a charm.

red
09-29-2017, 08:02 PM
Romo's tactical stream-of-consciousness is fun but what really hit me last night was his sense of humor. The guy has a knack for entertainment.

2 prime examples: 1.) McCarthy caught dropping multiple F-bombs on camera. Romo immediately modulates slightly to this aww-shucks voice, "oh shoot. Gosh darn it!"
2.) Guessing a 4th-and-short playcall correctly as a bootleg saying "McCarthy seems like a bootleg guy, don't you think?" Nantz noted every goddamn bootleg for the rest of the game after that because not only was Romo right, he was slightly hilarious in doing so.

the "oh shoot, gosh darn it" line when fat mike was saying something along the lines of "thats fucking shit" was classic

pbmax
09-29-2017, 09:10 PM

Did you look like this?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XNPD380IpBQ/THwMvyyL_FI/AAAAAAAALes/VzizBUzYemA/s400/P310_8.jpgc c

pbmax
09-29-2017, 09:12 PM
Why was 2011 so successful and each year since seems like a struggle to get the ball downfield?

Jones and Nelson could torture defenses outside, Jennings and Driver would burn them inside. Could have big play attempts then just pass for first downs.

Finley just made it lopsided. Defenses hadn't adjusted yet.

Bossman641
09-29-2017, 10:48 PM
Both Brooks and Freeman had real burst whether it showed up on a timer or not. Jennings didn't seem to have that. He was a good route runner, but not a game breaker like the others. Jennings reminds me of Cobb in terms of lack of burst but not the route running; Jordy reminds me of the other two with his burst and with a good dose of route running ability too. The jury is still out on Adams.

i think Jennings had more burst then Freeman

Pugger
09-30-2017, 05:32 AM

I got a laugh out of when Tony lamented about yet another flag thrown saying - I'm paraphrasing here - Oh good, we can't have the game run smoothly. :lol:

Maxie the Taxi
09-30-2017, 08:16 AM
Both Brooks and Freeman had real burst whether it showed up on a timer or not. Jennings didn't seem to have that. He was a good route runner, but not a game breaker like the others. You're dreaming as usual. Jennings not a game breaker? C'mon, man! And whatever the hell burst is, Jennings had it in spades.

ThunderDan
09-30-2017, 09:22 PM
Went to urgent care today and I have pneomnia.

Wtf, old people are supposed to get that. Not mid-life distance runners.

HarveyWallbangers
09-30-2017, 10:10 PM
i think Jennings had more burst then Freeman

Yes, and it's not even close.

Rutnstrut
09-30-2017, 10:17 PM
Went to urgent care today and I have pneomnia.

Wtf, old people are supposed to get that. Not mid-life distance runners.

It's no joke either. I had it 7 years ago and it freakin leveled me for a few days.

pbmax
10-01-2017, 07:54 AM
Thunder Dan has more burst than Freeman right now. Freeman was the guy that knew instinctively how to find the hole in the zone, so teams had a hard time protecting themselves from Brooks. He could get deep, but like James Jones, it wasn't so much speed as technique and guile. His speed wasn't bad when he was young, but not top end for WR then. He got heavier later in his career and that speed disappeared. He never forgot how to get open underneath though.

Be careful Dan, pneumonia is tricky to treat. It doesn't kill the olds outright (though it can) so much as it leads to lots of complications and repeats. Its kind of like a Tramontana tackle, it just hangs on.

Don't be in a hurry to get back to a normal schedule.

Joemailman
10-01-2017, 08:52 AM
You're dreaming as usual. Jennings not a game breaker? C'mon, man! And whatever the hell burst is, Jennings had it in spades.

Jennings with a broken leg had more of a burst than Freeman did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P0yfq2wDvU

mraynrand
10-01-2017, 12:13 PM
Did you look like this?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XNPD380IpBQ/THwMvyyL_FI/AAAAAAAALes/VzizBUzYemA/s400/P310_8.jpgc c

right idea, wrong episode

http://www.notsomuchtheneutralzone.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/salt.jpg

ThunderDan
10-01-2017, 03:45 PM
Thunder Dan has more burst than Freeman right now. Freeman was the guy that knew instinctively how to find the hole in the zone, so teams had a hard time protecting themselves from Brooks. He could get deep, but like James Jones, it wasn't so much speed as technique and guile. His speed wasn't bad when he was young, but not top end for WR then. He got heavier later in his career and that speed disappeared. He never forgot how to get open underneath though.

Be careful Dan, pneumonia is tricky to treat. It doesn't kill the olds outright (though it can) so much as it leads to lots of complications and repeats. Its kind of like a Tramontana tackle, it just hangs on.

Yup, already to schedule my check up X-rays in a month to make sure it is taken care of.

Massive antibiotics, rest, and fluids. I guess my half marathon at the end of the month is shot.

red
10-01-2017, 05:31 PM
Is it just me or are our ilb the best we have had since 2009?

They are about like the hawk years. They make a play every game or two, and don't screw up a lot. So you don't really know they're there, which is both good and bad

red
10-01-2017, 05:38 PM

Freeman was slow as hell. Jennings was a special player for a few years, like top 3 we. In the OBJ class

People don't like to remember that because of the way he left, and then fizzled with shit qb's, but he was the best Wr we had since sharpe, with brooks not for behind him IMO

RashanGary
10-01-2017, 05:42 PM
Glad to see romo getting so much love. Nothing he says annoys me too bad, sometimes he’s hilarious. If I had to nit pick him, he sounds too nice, and that’s slightly annoying, but he’s funny and on point enough to not be off point. I liked collinsworth the best, but now it might be Romo because of his sense of humor.

woodbuck27
10-01-2017, 07:41 PM
Glad to see romo getting so much love. Nothing he says annoys me too bad, sometimes he’s hilarious. If I had to nit pick him, he sounds too nice, and that’s slightly annoying, but he’s funny and on point enough to not be off point. I liked collinsworth the best, but now it might be Romo because of his sense of humor.

https://previews.123rf.com/images/ampak/ampak1410/ampak141000102/32954301-Ice-Cold-Beer-on-Classic-Tall-Glass-Placed-on-Vintage-Wooden-Table-Near-the-Window-at-the-Bar--Stock-Photo.jpg

..................................Tony Romo is like this !.........................

mmmdk
10-02-2017, 12:39 PM
Stud: Packers 95 wins vs da Bears.

Dud: 94 losses vs da Bears.

PS: All games incl. playoffs.