PDA

View Full Version : Trevathan Suspended Two Weeks

pbmax
09-30-2017, 09:15 PM
Jon Runyan handed down a 2 week suspension for Trevathan on Saturday.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/09/30/bears-danny-trevathan-suspended-two-games-hit-packers-davonte-adams/720137001/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DK_5D3KVoAAMxM1.jpg:large

call_me_ishmael
09-30-2017, 09:37 PM
Would have liked to see 8 weeks for the long term health of the NFL.

I think the ship has sailed on suburban kids *playing* football.

Hits like this have no place in the game and make me question whether I even want to *participate and watch* football.

I fear for the long term popularity of the league if they don't stop this sort of thing. I, and I can assume others, don't need those scrambled brains (blood) on our hands.

woodbuck27
09-30-2017, 11:49 PM
That suspension of 'only two weeks' is outrageously wrong.

The NFL had an opportunity to suspend Bears LBer Danny Trevathan for at least 5 games or more to send a harsh penalty message to the entire league and blew it.

The GREEN BAY PACKER Organization has to be outraged.

As NFL fans we do not need to see such assaults on the field and the NFL grossly failed here. The NFL is supposedly trying to protect it's players from concussion and clearly have brought shame down on their Head Office.

That should have been a minimum 4 game suspension.

woodbuck27
09-30-2017, 11:54 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2735795-nfl-must-come-down-strong-on-bears-danny-trevathan-after-brutal-hit?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

NFL Must Come Down Strong on Bears' Danny Trevathan After Brutal Hit

BRENT SOBLESKI...SEPTEMBER 29, 2017

Comment woodbuck27:

If you have the stomach look at the close up Video of this vicious assault on a Green Bay Packer star player.

Vincenzo
10-01-2017, 01:46 AM
Trevathan didn’t intentionally go out to hurt Adams.
Yes he lead with the helmet to Adams’ neck and helmet area which was wrong, but players, especially linebackers are taught to finish plays and often don’t have time to stop and think before they act. Things happen in an instant.
It’s easy for us to analyze and judge now after the fact, but football is a high contact sport.....this stuff happens.
A 10 game suspension would have been over kill, NFL got it right with a 2 gamer.

Also keep in mind that Trevathan apologized for his actions when he was interviewed after the game. He reached out to Adams and said that the important thing was that Davante was okay. So the Bear player regretted his actions knowing full well that he’d done the wrong thing on the field. Surely the NFL took his post game comments in to consideration.

mraynrand
10-01-2017, 06:51 AM
two games is perfectly acceptable. It's not like he under-inflated his balls.

Bretsky
10-01-2017, 07:34 AM
Trevathan didn’t intentionally go out to hurt Adams.
Yes he lead with the helmet to Adams’ neck and helmet area which was wrong, but players, especially linebackers are taught to finish plays and often don’t have time to stop and think before they act. Things happen in an instant.
It’s easy for us to analyze and judge now after the fact, but football is a high contact sport.....this stuff happens.
A 10 game suspension would have been over kill, NFL got it right with a 2 gamer.

Also keep in mind that Trevathan apologized for his actions when he was interviewed after the game. He reached out to Adams and said that the important thing was that Davante was okay. So the Bear player regretted his actions knowing full well that he’d done the wrong thing on the field. Surely the NFL took his post game comments in to consideration.

I would have said the EXACT SAME THING if I knew a suspension wss coming.

I think 4 games would have been the right call. Often appeals happen and the term gets cut in half. It would not surprise me if Danny plays his cards right and this ends up at 1 game

pbmax
10-01-2017, 07:58 AM

Trevathan was also defending the hit after the game, so while I am glad he responded to Adams after the game, he still was trying to sell the play as legit. He might have changed his tune later, I did not watch the Chicago press much.

So 2 games is a good marker here. Its almost un-Goodell like. Sane and purposeful, carrying a message to the right party.

Bossman641
10-01-2017, 08:02 AM
i think 3 or 4 should have been more appropriate

pbmax
10-01-2017, 08:03 AM
i think 3 or 4 should have been more appropriate

If it gets knocked down to 1 after appeal, then I am far less pleased. But I think 2 helps here. No one wants to lose two game checks and have suspended on their resume.

Upnorth
10-01-2017, 09:02 AM
Unfortunately this suspension helps a division rival next week. Imo if it is the first game in a division the suspension should apply to the next Head to head match

Pugger
10-01-2017, 09:22 AM
Trevathan was also defending the hit after the game, so while I am glad he responded to Adams after the game, he still was trying to sell the play as legit. He might have changed his tune later, I did not watch the Chicago press much.

So 2 games is a good marker here. Its almost un-Goodell like. Sane and purposeful, carrying a message to the right party.

Then Trevathan doesn't know the rule book. It is illegal to lead with the crown of the helmet while making a "tackle" so there is no way that hit is legal no matter where the hit lands because this action is just as dangerous to him as it is to the player he is going after.

pbmax
10-01-2017, 10:05 AM
Maybe not, but that has not stopped anyone before. A 2 game suspension will help.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/09/29/bears-lb-danny-trevathan-defends-devastating-hit-packers-wr-davante-adams/714605001/

“I regret,” Trevathan said, “just the level I hit him at. I could’ve been a little bit better, but you’ve got to understand I was in a momentum, and I was trying to make a play. Nothing intentional. It happens in this game.

“Hopefully, they see that. It wasn’t intentional, just trying to make a play.”

Joemailman
10-01-2017, 10:13 AM
Trevathan's argument isn't very convincing. There was nothing unique about that play except for what he did. If it was just the result of a player "Trying to make a play" we'd see hits like that all the time. Fortunately, we don't.

Brandon494
10-01-2017, 12:24 PM
2 sounds right to me

ND72
10-01-2017, 12:29 PM
I'm OK with the suspension. If it had been 3 weeks, 4 weeks, 5 weeks, whatever I would say the same thing. Anything more than 1 game was acceptable for me.

While I agree, these types of hits need to be done away with, after watching the tape lots of times, I don't think he "planned" to hit his helmet/head. I think he went in thinking Adams was still standing and would put his head in his chest, but Adams dropped down connecting it to his head. That being said, Treyvathan still lowers the crown of his head, which is illegal (yet still not enforced in the NFL although it is "emphasized").

George Cumby
10-01-2017, 02:29 PM
I'm good with two games.

MadScientist
10-01-2017, 05:50 PM
They better not reduce this. Two games is on the low side for what this deserved. The NFL should know its future will depend on getting rid of hits like this. I know it's a new emphasis in a violent game, but it has to go fast.

woodbuck27
10-01-2017, 07:27 PM
Unfortunately this suspension helps a division rival next week. Imo if it is the first game in a division the suspension should apply to the next Head to head match

I like that.

woodbuck27
10-01-2017, 07:32 PM
I'm good with two games.

OK screw it then .Now .... I know we are raising our Canadian Kids right !

https://www.facebook.com/YourEverydayCanadian/videos/1877505392537260/
.............................. CANUCK TUFF ! ......................

smuggler
10-01-2017, 08:48 PM
Should have been an ejection and a one-game suspension. They failed to make the ejection, so the two-game suspension is appropriate.

Make no mistake, Trevathan willfully and purposely attempted to injure Adams. This is not to say he meant to hit Adams in the head. I think he was trying to take a shot into Adams' ribs with a helmet spear after the play was essentially over, if not technically over. Adams was in no position to defend himself from the oncoming wrath. This type of punisher/enforcer blow would pretty much go unnoticed by everyone in the viewing audience, except Adams' head dipped sharply as his legs went out from him right before Trevathan connected.

The league can do 2-game suspensions this season, 4-gamers next year and then go up to 8 the year after that. An 8-game suspension for this kind of blow is what needs to happen to keep this kind of hit from occurring in the league.

pbmax
10-03-2017, 05:25 PM
One week.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Appeals officer Derrick Brooks, jointly appointed by NFL & NFLPA, has reduced suspension of Danny Trevathan from 2 games to 1 game

QBME
10-03-2017, 06:28 PM
One week.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Appeals officer Derrick Brooks, jointly appointed by NFL & NFLPA, has reduced suspension of Danny Trevathan from 2 games to 1 game

Of course. If the NFL really wanted two games, the initial suspension would have been four games. No surprise.

gbgary
10-03-2017, 07:34 PM
he's the one who broke Ty's ribs too. dude leads with his helmet all the time. 2 game suspension should have stood even though he's a first time offender.

mraynrand
10-03-2017, 08:13 PM
One week.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Wouldja believe one series and a commercial break?
http://www.aveleyman.com/Gallery/ActorsA/tve54-68-133.jpg

Bretsky
10-03-2017, 08:56 PM
Of course. If the NFL really wanted two games, the initial suspension would have been four games. No surprise.

WINNER WINNER WINNER

Most figured this would get reduced. That is why 2 games to start was ludicrous

Tony Oday
10-03-2017, 09:09 PM
Fucking dumb. Lying pieces of shit. They don't care about saftey.

Bretsky
10-03-2017, 11:04 PM
[/B]

I would have said the EXACT SAME THING if I knew a suspension wss coming.

I think 4 games would have been the right call. Often appeals happen and the term gets cut in half. It would not surprise me if Danny plays his cards right and this ends up at 1 game

THAT PHONY ASS APOLOGY HELPED MAKE MY PREDICTION COME TRUE

Zool
10-04-2017, 08:59 AM
John Fox should be suspended a game or two for sending him back out on the next play.

gbgary
10-04-2017, 10:15 AM
Wouldja believe one series and a commercial break?

lol

Fosco33
10-06-2017, 12:16 PM
Interesting reading the media lately.

They showed the single play to various players to see if there was 'intent'

Did they show the context? A game out of reach, chippy to that point, on a long/irrelevant 3rd down, and a player celebrating after?

woodbuck27
10-06-2017, 02:01 PM
This is the sort of CRAP by the NFL that will turn fans away from the NFL game.

I am disgusted by this 'slap on the wrist' 1 game Suspension Final Ruling.

The NFL had a perfect opportunity to back itself up and 'the TRUTH of a stance for Player Safety' and this ugly Danny Trevathan 'leading with the helmet hit ' and simply blew it. :whaa:

Obviously the NFL doesn't care all that much for Player Safety. This is about Football not Cage Fighting, NFL Head Office.

I hope the Green Bay Packers have a harsh response, that this penalty (only 1 game) was clearly unsatisfactory.

mraynrand
10-06-2017, 02:07 PM
This is the sort of CRAP by the NFL that will turn fans away from the NFL game.

I am disgusted by this 'slap on the wrist' 1 game Suspension Final Ruling.

The NFL had a perfect opportunity to back itself and Player Safety and this ugly incident and simply blew it.

I hope the Green Bay Packers have a harsh response that this penalty (only 1 game) was clearly unsatisfactory.

I dunno. A suspension is a big deal, even one game. The hit looked all ugly and that, and they did send a message.

If you look at how guys get injured, the tackle 'technique' by Travathan - lowering his head and leading with the crown - can result in a spinal cord injury. I think the NFL has to do something about teaching a different tackling technique, or they're gonna be playing flag football sooner than later.

woodbuck27
10-06-2017, 02:54 PM
Another Point of view:

https://www.fanragsports.com/jon-gruden-thinks-danny-trevathan-made-great-play/

Jon Gruden thinks Danny Trevathan made great play

By: Alex Kolodziej

Cobra Kai
10-06-2017, 03:47 PM
Another Point of view:

https://www.fanragsports.com/jon-gruden-thinks-danny-trevathan-made-great-play/

Jon Gruden thinks Danny Trevathan made great play

By: Alex Kolodziej

Gruden is a moron and has always been one. The fact he believes Trevathan made a great play is idiotic but not shocking.

I never understand why people like him as a color commentator. He's horse shit...