PDA

View Full Version : Studs And Duds - Packers vs. Cowboys

Joemailman
10-08-2017, 07:03 PM
Studs

Aaron Rodgers - Running out of words to describe this guy. Think he's pretty good though.

Aaron Jones - Quick and decisive. Outplayed Elliott.

Marty Bennett - Looked like the guy we've been looking for.

Davante Adams - 7 catches and 2 TD's.

Damarious Randall - I know he had a bad 1st half. But in the 2nd half he scored 1 TD and prevented another one.

Mike Fatty Tub Of Lard - Dude can coach. And he's at his best when the Packers probably shouldn't win.

Duds

Place Kick Unit - Whoever is at fault, figure that shit out.

Tony Oday
10-08-2017, 07:10 PM
Aaron Fucking Jones. Monty is a backup now.

denverYooper
10-08-2017, 07:28 PM
For the record, I have always thought M3 was a fantastic coach despite the fact that he can be loyal to a fault to both people and plans. Not enough credence is given to his EQ. I think he is much better at strategy and management than his frustrating tactical blindness would suggest.

Rutnstrut
10-08-2017, 07:29 PM

Monty is better suited as a back up, change of pace guy. As I've always said, he could never handle the pounding of a regular RB. Plus imo Jones is just better.

Pugger
10-08-2017, 08:28 PM
For the record, I have always thought M3 was a fantastic coach despite the fact that he can be loyal to a fault to both people and plans. Not enough credence is given to his EQ. I think he is much better at strategy and management than his frustrating tactical blindness would suggest.

He does one thing that drives me crazy, however (I'm not sure if it is him or Aaron or both). We have to be one of the few teams that burn TOs because we screw around getting plays in. :-?

vince
10-08-2017, 08:38 PM
DB's were leaky today, but made just enough plays late to get the job done.

Dix has been a liability for the most part this year IMO.
Hawkins is much improved.
House, Randall and Rollins all had there share of bad to go with some good.
Without King, the CB group remains a liability overall IMO. King still has a lot to learn, but that group needs him at the top of that rotation badly.
House wasn't particularly interested in tackling guys today. Grabbing at guys instead of hitting and wrapping. With his size that's ridiculous. King is 2" taller and 20 lbs. lighter, and a far better tackler.
At the same time he did have good coverage and play on the ball to break up the iso-fade to Bryant in the end zone late in the game.

Prescott was 25/36/251 with 3 TD's and a pick that wasn't on him. He's good but not that good.

gbgary
10-08-2017, 08:44 PM
studs: everyone...even Randall
duds: no one. can't throw the D under the bus. king left early and they were on the field A LOT.

George Cumby
10-08-2017, 08:47 PM
Martinez. Do we have a real stud at ILB?

pbmax
10-08-2017, 08:49 PM
Martinez. Do we have a real stud at ILB?

He has played well. Both he and Ryan shined (think Ryan had one missed tackle) versus a team that lets the Packers play their base 3-4 wth both big guys in there.

Matthews isn't a great ILB, but he might be able to cover inside in a zone. He popped one loose on Witten and nearly had another on Randall's Pick Six.

pbmax
10-08-2017, 08:50 PM
House has beens steady but it been in the vicinity defense. He hasn't stopped much. Need King to return.

texaspackerbacker
10-08-2017, 09:42 PM
Studs other than the obvious or already named:

Daniels - 100% or not, he did the job; Clark was damn good too.

Our much maligned (especially by me) O Line - They were only studly in the context of low expectations, but even with the nice jump cuts, somebody was opening some holes for Jones.

Bryce - he did a nice job after Burnett went out as well as on special teams.

Duds:

Clinton-Dix - more bad than good today for sure

Jamal Williams - the guy can't do anything except run into the pile and fall down. Even with Montgomery out, he should be inactive or 3rd string behind Mays.

Ricky Jean-Francois - the guy is crap. Why in hell did we cut Price and Ringo and keep him?

pbmax
10-08-2017, 09:46 PM
tex, you really need to start an Aaron Jones crowing thread. Everyone is waiting on it :D

SMBASS
10-08-2017, 09:53 PM
[QUOTE=vince;943266]DB's were leaky today, but made just enough plays late to get the job done.

Dix has been a liability for the most part this year IMO.

Absolutely agree about Dix Vince. I thought he would take another step forward after making positive strides and having a good year last year. So far this year he has not played well at all.

SMBASS
10-08-2017, 10:01 PM
My surprise pick for actual impact/contributions is RB Aaron Jones. I'm still beating the Perine dead horse and wish we would have taken him but I just have a feeling that this kid is going to surprise us. I especially like his pass catching abilities to go along with the wiggle that he brings to the position.

The above quote is what I posted in the, "Who's Your Favorite? Draft 2017" thread on 05-03-17 right after the draft. Brandon and some other people were high on A.J. in that thread as well. I hope my initial , "feeling" continues to be right but I like what I've seen from this kid so far.

woodbuck27
10-08-2017, 10:14 PM
My surprise pick for actual impact/contributions is RB Aaron Jones. I'm still beating the Perine dead horse and wish we would have taken him but I just have a feeling that this kid is going to surprise us. I especially like his pass catching abilities to go along with the wiggle that he brings to the position.

The above quote is what I posted in the, "Who's Your Favorite? Draft 2017" thread on 05-03-17 right after the draft. Brandon and some other people were high on A.J. in that thread as well. I hope my initial , "feeling" continues to be right but I like what I've seen from this kid so far.

He was terrific today. He can give errr too. He loves to play and contributes a lot.

I have recorded this game and will key on his every move.

I liked Samaje Perine as well. Here is how he's doing so far as a Washington Redskin:

http://www.nfl.com/player/samajeperine/2558138/profile

ND72
10-08-2017, 10:15 PM
I won't repeat what many already wrote, so I'm throwing Vogel out there. Dude had a massive punt, and then it was the next or 2 plays later we had the pick 6 on the change of field position. Huge hang time, returner backed up 20 yards from where he started to catch, and then Janis with a great open field tackle as well.

call_me_ishmael
10-08-2017, 10:24 PM
Yeah what the heck is going on with Haha? Dude has been unbelievable all-around the past two years. He looks off this year. What was with the blown coverage and really slow recovery today? Seems like his legs must have been stuck/crossed or something 'cause he was moving in slow motion there.

Harlan Huckleby
10-08-2017, 10:39 PM
tex, you really need to start an Aaron Jones crowing thread. Everyone is waiting on it :D

Tex, it's like this: A month or two ago, you were saying Hundley is the next Dak Prescott. I thought that was pretty stupid, so I said "ya, and Aaron Jones is the next Ezekiel Emanuel" to which you said "Damn Right!" I was saying in the game thread that you would surely be bragging about being right after this game. But no, apparently you are mellowing with senility, and you forgot all about it.

Pugger
10-08-2017, 10:51 PM
studs: everyone...even Randall
duds: no one. can't throw the D under the bus. king left early and they were on the field A LOT.

I thought Dallas' offense started to move better after Burnett got hurt. I hope he'll be okay.

vince
10-08-2017, 11:30 PM
https://sportsdaydfw.imgix.net/1507511998-pmeme15.jpg?q=50&auto=format&w=900

texaspackerbacker
10-09-2017, 07:14 AM

I've been crowing about him pretty regularly, just no separate thread. Actually, I'm just now coming over to the p.o.v. that he should start instead of Montgomery - but both of them and Mays too are light years ahead of Jamal Williams.

texaspackerbacker
10-09-2017, 07:23 AM
Tex, it's like this: A month or two ago, you were saying Hundley is the next Dak Prescott. I thought that was pretty stupid, so I said "ya, and Aaron Jones is the next Ezekiel Emanuel" to which you said "Damn Right!" I was saying in the game thread that you would surely be bragging about being right after this game. But no, apparently you are mellowing with senility, and you forgot all about it.

It must be senility kicking in, as I don't remember the conversation. I stand by it, though, that Hundley could be right there with Prescott (and also Dashaun Watson). It's still early to say, but Aaron Jones could be not that far from Elliott (I doubt I called him Emanuel hahahaha). Now that I think about it, the guy I compared to Elliott was Jonathan Taylor of the Badgers - that comparison is looking pretty good too.

As for Jones, just like with our receivers, Just like our sad sack O Line, maybe even just like our D, ALL of them have the huge advantage of playing with Aaron - Rodgers, I mean. With Aaron Jones, though, it's a lot more of a Symbiotic relationship. If Jones really can continue to be a running threat, those play action passes and really the whole passing game will be more effective too. That was apparent yesterday already.

texaspackerbacker
10-09-2017, 07:32 AM
Not to be picky, but Corey Linsley seemed to be snapping the ball low all day. I wonder whether Rodgers likes it that way or something.

Pugger
10-09-2017, 07:34 AM

Jones was wonderful yesterday. Let's see how he looks against the Queens on Sunday.

Maxie the Taxi
10-09-2017, 07:57 AM
It must be senility kicking in, as I don't remember the conversation. I stand by it, though, that Hundley could be right there with Prescott (and also Dashaun Watson). It's still early to say, but Aaron Jones could be not that far from Elliott (I doubt I called him Emanuel hahahaha). Now that I think about it, the guy I compared to Elliott was Jonathan Taylor of the Badgers - that comparison is looking pretty good too.

As for Jones, just like with our receivers, Just like our sad sack O Line, maybe even just like our D, ALL of them have the huge advantage of playing with Aaron - Rodgers, I mean. With Aaron Jones, though, it's a lot more of a Symbiotic relationship. If Jones really can continue to be a running threat, those play action passes and really the whole passing game will be more effective too. That was apparent yesterday already.Tex, this post is shocking! You are actually advocating running the ball to set up the pass? This is complete heresy coming from you, Mr. Pass First. hahahahaha

call_me_ishmael
10-09-2017, 09:31 AM
Aaron Jones did look really fast and decisive compared to Monty. I was pretty impressed with him.

Tony Oday
10-09-2017, 10:29 AM
Jones was wonderful yesterday. Let's see how he looks against the Queens on Sunday.

He will run ring around that overrated defense. They are susceptible to the run as of late and I think Jones will do well.

texaspackerbacker
10-09-2017, 11:19 AM
Tex, this post is shocking! You are actually advocating running the ball to set up the pass? This is complete heresy coming from you, Mr. Pass First. hahahahaha

I don't see how you get to that from what I said. It still all begins with Aaron Rodgers being super and being the first option. Having a better run option in your back pocket. though, just makes the passing more effective.

Now if you're the Wisconsin Badgers, it's a different story. With their dominant line, super RB(s), and piece of crap QB, I'm all for "run first". With the Packers, though, you've got an O Line that rises to mediocre on a good day, just now, a probably very very good RB, and the greatest QB in the history of the world, so "pass first" is obvious.

More accurately, though, you take what the defense is giving you - we couldn't do that before because we couldn't run decently even when the D was set up to stop the pass. Now, we can do just about anything - assuming Jones is not just a flash in the pan.

Maxie the Taxi
10-09-2017, 11:30 AM
I don't see how you get to that from what I said. It still all begins with Aaron Rodgers being super and being the first option. Having a better run option in your back pocket. though, just makes the passing more effective.

Now if you're the Wisconsin Badgers, it's a different story. With their dominant line, super RB(s), and piece of crap QB, I'm all for "run first". With the Packers, though, you've got an O Line that rises to mediocre on a good day, just now, a probably very very good RB, and the greatest QB in the history of the world, so "pass first" is obvious.

More accurately, though, you take what the defense is giving you - we couldn't do that before because we couldn't run decently even when the D was set up to stop the pass. Now, we can do just about anything - assuming Jones is not just a flash in the pan.

I'm sort of a believer that great RB's are born not manufactured. Jones has the instinct for seeing the hole, for hesitating at the right time, for turning on the jets at the right moment, for following his blockers, etc. etc. It all seems 2nd nature to him. Now maybe RB experience has ingrained these things into Jones. Maybe Monty will improve at them with a ton more carries. I don't know. But I think Jones is the real deal. As for the Badger RB, Johathan Taybor, he reminds me of Emmitt Smith.

Cheesehead Craig
10-09-2017, 01:13 PM
I'm sort of a believer that great RB's are born not manufactured. Jones has the instinct for seeing the hole, for hesitating at the right time, for turning on the jets at the right moment, for following his blockers, etc. etc. It all seems 2nd nature to him. Now maybe RB experience has ingrained these things into Jones. Maybe Monty will improve at them with a ton more carries. I don't know. But I think Jones is the real deal. As for the Badger RB, Johathan Taybor, he reminds me of Emmitt Smith.

Jones is willing to hit that cutback lane, that's just instinctive. Not only that, but hit it fast. He easily created 30-40 more yards than Monty would have gotten with the same blocking. I've been really surprised by how well he looks so far. Hopefully we get to see a lot more of him.

texaspackerbacker
10-09-2017, 01:51 PM

I agree completely about RBs in general and Jones in particular - the jump cuts stand out to me, because holes are rare with the Packer O Line, and if it doesn't open where you are, you have to go to where it's open - a concept alien to Williams and to a lesser extent, even Montgomery. I really want to see more of Mays too.

I had that same thought about Jonathan Taylor being similar to Emmitt Smith - who is similar to Ezekial Elliott. Elliott is faster, and I think Taylor is also. As fast as the hurdles champ of the state of Ohio? I don't know - but maybe.

Maxie the Taxi
10-09-2017, 02:46 PM
I agree completely about RBs in general and Jones in particular - the jump cuts stand out to me, because holes are rare with the Packer O Line, and if it doesn't open where you are, you have to go to where it's open - a concept alien to Williams and to a lesser extent, even Montgomery. I really want to see more of Mays too.

I had that same thought about Jonathan Taylor being similar to Emmitt Smith - who is similar to Ezekial Elliott. Elliott is faster, and I think Taylor is also. As fast as the hurdles champ of the state of Ohio? I don't know - but maybe.Elliott 6'0" 225 lbs. 4.47 40 yd; Taylor 5'11" 208 lbs. 4.42 40 yd; Smith 5'9" 210 lbs. 4.5 40 yd.

Harlan Huckleby
10-09-2017, 03:35 PM
Elliott (I doubt I called him Emanuel hahahaha).

I just noticed this. Ezekial Emanual is the guy who largely designed Obamacare (not Jonathan Gruber.) He is the brother of Rahm Emanuel. I had Ezekial moment.

Harlan Huckleby
10-09-2017, 03:37 PM
I'm sort of a believer that great RB's are born not manufactured.

This is clearly true because so many RBs excel in college as freshman, and quite a few NFL RB rookies are good.

Fritz
10-09-2017, 04:04 PM

I had that same thought about Jonathan Taylor being similar to Emmitt Smith - who is similar to Ezekial Elliott. Elliott is faster, and I think Taylor is also. As fast as the hurdles champ of the state of Ohio? I don't know - but maybe.

Run to daylight, baby!

texaspackerbacker
10-09-2017, 06:30 PM
I just noticed this. Ezekial Emanual is the guy who largely designed Obamacare (not Jonathan Gruber.) He is the brother of Rahm Emanuel. I had Ezekial moment.

There you go injecting politics again hahahahaha.

texaspackerbacker
10-09-2017, 06:33 PM
Run to daylight, baby!

I wish I said that!

Maxie, regarding your comparative stats: yeah, Taylor is smaller than Elliott and about the same size as Emmitt, but his 40 time is close, actually faster than Elliott and a lot faster than Emmitt, and I think that is more relevant. His running style reminds me of both.

woodbuck27
10-09-2017, 07:00 PM
http://www.12up.com/posts/5650607-damarious-randall-offers-ridiculous-explanation-for-stupid-penalty?a_aid=36476

Damarious Randall Offers Ridiculous Explanation For Stupid Penalty

BY: Nick Rodriguez ... 09 OCT 2017

Comment woodbuck27: What is this man on !>

This isn't a bold prediction It will be soon bye bye Damarious Randall. Watch for it !

Why? People like him seldom grow up fast enough to even imagine acting somewhat normal.

Why? He doesn't own his own behaviour.

woodbuck27
10-09-2017, 07:35 PM
https://sportsdaydfw.imgix.net/1507511998-pmeme15.jpg?q=50&auto=format&w=900

This is too COOL.

texaspackerbacker
10-10-2017, 08:34 AM
I doubt they give up on Randall anytime soon. He's smallish, but there have been some great Corners who were small. I think it's more likely he improves and begins to justify being a #1 pick. As for the extraneous crap, that's a big "who cares" so long as he makes some plays and doesn't get beat too many times.

Tony Oday
10-10-2017, 10:18 AM
I doubt they give up on Randall anytime soon. He's smallish, but there have been some great Corners who were small. I think it's more likely he improves and begins to justify being a #1 pick. As for the extraneous crap, that's a big "who cares" so long as he makes some plays and doesn't get beat too many times.

Because he does get beat all the time and doesn't make many plays.

MadScientist
10-10-2017, 10:28 AM
http://www.12up.com/posts/5650607-damarious-randall-offers-ridiculous-explanation-for-stupid-penalty?a_aid=36476

Damarious Randall Offers Ridiculous Explanation For Stupid Penalty

BY: Nick Rodriguez ... 09 OCT 2017

Comment woodbuck27: What is this man on !>

This isn't a bold prediction It will be soon bye bye Damarious Randall. Watch for it !

Why? People like him seldom grow up fast enough to even imagine acting somewhat normal.

Why? He doesn't own his own behaviour.
They say corners are supposed to have short memories, but this is Alzheimer's level memory failure. I'm guessing he survives this year, but barely. Another teammate described him as the most talented CB on their roster. If only they could have strapped Gunter's brain into Randall's body.

woodbuck27
10-10-2017, 03:03 PM
They say corners are supposed to have short memories, but this is Alzheimer's level memory failure. I'm guessing he survives this year, but barely. Another teammate described him as the most talented CB on their roster. If only they could have strapped Gunter's brain into Randall's body.

http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/green-bay-packers-snap-counts-damarious-randall-101017

Packers Snap Counts: Randall gets out of the doghouse

FOX Sports Wisconsin ... Oct 10, 2017 at 1:01p ET

" (CB Damarious Randall) was getting on the field before King’s injury when the Packers went with a five defensive back look.

As a fill-in for King, Randall did allow an early touchdown to Dez Bryant, but early in the fourth quarter he returned an interception for a touchdown to give Green Bay a lead (one the Packers would lose with 1:13 remaining but retake with 11 seconds left).

Of course, Randall would be penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct after the touchdown, so while he might be out of the doghouse, he’s not exactly living in the penthouse, either. ..."

Comment woodbuck27:

If you click the LINK above you'll see the Snap Counts for the Packers on both sides of the ball in the Dallas victory.

GO PACK GO !