PDA

View Full Version : Official 2018 nfl draft thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

smuggler
01-15-2018, 03:54 AM
I didn't want Spriggs, but thought he'd develop... as it is, he looks like a complete bust that can't play at all. Just cut him.

Didn't want Randall... he can go; Ryan needs to be replaced. We need a TE and WR...

Don't know what kind of fronts Pettine will go with early, but at least for now I think the 3-3 is still the best way to go. He can go with a 4-2 as well, but not with Ryan and Martinez on the field together... preferably with neither of them on the field.

Jeez, you have no optimism at all. Randall and Martinez are decent players. Spriggs isn't what I'd want, but he's still a good swing guy off the bench at least. If we can find better talent to bump them off the roster, then fine, but that would take 3-4 years of good drafting, realistically, even if you take a modest evaluation of their values as players.

mraynrand
01-15-2018, 07:20 AM
Jeez, you have no optimism at all.

you couldn't have just figured this out, right? :)

pbmax
01-15-2018, 09:11 AM
SPRIGGS™ WATCH's official editorial position is that there is are even odds SPRIGGS™ starts at RT next year over Murphy.

pbmax
01-15-2018, 09:14 AM
THE CASE KEENUM CONTINUUM

Zach Berman @ZBerm
Eagles traded N. Foles to Rams for S. Bradford. Foles lost his job in St. Louis, C. Keenum takes over. Eagles draft C. Wentz and trade Bradford to Minn. Vikings sign Keenum, who replaces injured Bradford. Foles returns to Philly, replaces injured Wentz. Now, Foles vs. Keenum.

QBs DON'T MATTER!

Pugger
01-15-2018, 09:26 AM
I didn't want Spriggs, but thought he'd develop... as it is, he looks like a complete bust that can't play at all. Just cut him.

Didn't want Randall... he can go; Ryan needs to be replaced. We need a TE and WR...

Don't know what kind of fronts Pettine will go with early, but at least for now I think the 3-3 is still the best way to go. He can go with a 4-2 as well, but not with Ryan and Martinez on the field together... preferably with neither of them on the field.

Did you say that after Davante's second season?

pbmax
02-03-2018, 10:51 AM
Matt Miller's Top 50:

1. RB Saquon Barkley, Penn State
2. DB Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama
3. OG Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame
4. EDGE Bradley Chubb, North Carolina State
5. QB Sam Darnold, USC
6. QB Josh Rosen, UCLA
7. QB Josh Allen, Wyoming
8. CB Denzel Ward, Ohio State
9. LB Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech
10. LB Roquan Smith, Georgia
11. OT Connor Williams, Texas
12. CB Josh Jackson, Iowa
13. QB Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
14. RB Derrius Guice, LSU
15. WR Calvin Ridley, Alabama
16. S Derwin James, FS
17. RB Ronald Jones II, USC
18. LB Rashaan Evans, Alabama
19. DL Maurice Hurst, Michigan
20. EDGE Harold Landry, Boston College
21. CB Isaiah Oliver, Colorado
22. C Billy Price, Ohio State
23. OT Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame
24. WR Courtland Sutton, SMU
25. LB Malik Jefferson, Texas
26. DL Da'Ron Payne, Alabama
27. S Ronnie Harrison, Alabama
28. EDGE Sam Hubbard, Ohio State
29. EDGE Marcus Davenport, UTSA
30. DL Vita Vea, Washington
31. EDGE Arden Key, LSU
32. CB Carlon Davis, Auburn
33. RB Sony Michel, Georgia
34. OT Kolton Miller, UCLA
35. C James Daniels, Iowa
36. TE Dallas Goedert, South Dakota State
37. DL Harrison Phillips, Stanford
38. DL Derrick Nnadi, FSU
39. OG Isaiah Wynn, Georgia
40. WR Christian Kirk, Texas A&M
41. LB Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State
42. WR D.J. Moore, Maryland
43. S Justin Reid, Stanford
44. TE Mark Andrews, Oklahoma
45. OG Will Hernandez, UTEP
46. CB Mike Hughes, UCF
47. CB Jaire Alexander, Louisville
48. S Kyzir White, West Virginia
49. WR James Washington, Oklahoma State
50. TE Mike Gesicki, Penn State

mraynrand
02-03-2018, 11:16 AM
When did 'EDGE' become a thing?

pbmax
02-03-2018, 01:51 PM
When did 'EDGE' become a thing?

Last couple of years to describe a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 rush end. Its not perfect. Matthews is more of a edge type player than Perry, but Perry has the measurables. Perry is almost an Elephant too.

HarveyWallbangers
02-03-2018, 05:52 PM
Anybody else feel Darnold is overrated? There are comparisons to Andrew Luck. I don't see it at all. I think Josh Rosen looks like the best QB, but there seem to be character concerns with him. Not really "face of the franchise" material. Lamar Jackson has longevity concerns. Mayfield is a talent, but he has off the field concerns (although his leadership has been praised) and he's short. Josh Allen has the most talent in the group, but most think he'll end up being the biggest bust. I have a feeling he's going to kill the combine, do well in his interviews, and somebody will fall in love with him. His talent might be worth the risk.

sharpe1027
02-03-2018, 06:26 PM
Or the sorceress of castle greyskull who gave the something something sword to Adam making him He-man. Sheesh

I believe it is the power sword.

red
02-03-2018, 06:52 PM
Anybody else feel Darnold is overrated? There are comparisons to Andrew Luck. I don't see it at all. I think Josh Rosen looks like the best QB, but there seem to be character concerns with him. Not really "face of the franchise" material. Lamar Jackson has longevity concerns. Mayfield is a talent, but he has off the field concerns (although his leadership has been praised) and he's short. Josh Allen has the most talent in the group, but most think he'll end up being the biggest bust. I have a feeling he's going to kill the combine, do well in his interviews, and somebody will fall in love with him. His talent might be worth the risk.

all year i've heard by pundits that darnold is awesome, but he sucked all year. and after every game people would come out and say, but he's actually so good

i think he's very over rated, but i've been really wrong the last few years on the QB side of things

oh, and add in the fact that almost every single USC QB has been a media darling, and almost all of them have been massive flops in the NFL

jackson, seems like mike vick, but without the huge arm. its his running that makes him so good, maybe go the antwan randal el route with him and make him a WR

call_me_ishmael
02-03-2018, 09:08 PM
I agree that Darnold seems to be overrated. My favorite QB in college football is Trace McSorland, dude is just a winner, but he is so short.

pbmax
02-04-2018, 07:53 AM

Isn't Rosen Mr. Inaccurate this year?

HarveyWallbangers
02-04-2018, 02:46 PM
Isn't Rosen Mr. Inaccurate this year?

I don't think he's inaccurate. He just seems like a turd, and his teams didn't win much (UCLA barely went .500 with him). Physically, he reminds me of a skinnier Carson Palmer. He's the best looking QB on film.

This QB group seems a bit overrated as far as franchise QB material--although there are more decent prospects than normal. Most will get drafted too high. I didn't expect to like Mason Rudolph (thought he'd be a system QB), but the more I watch of him, the more I like.

It's a good group of RBs. Barkley is a stud. I like Sony Michel a lot.

I just started studying the WRs, and I don't like the ones at the top much. I think Ridley is head and shoulders above the rest. He's not going to wow you with his ball skills or YAC (he's more Marvin Harrison than Terrell Owens), but I love his route running and hands. Michael Gallup is a sleeper I like. He looks better on film than the guys ahead of him.

pbmax
02-04-2018, 04:52 PM
Rosen was getting trashed at the Senior Bowl for ridiculous coverage (a few amazing throws) by other reporters pointing out the receivers he missed.

Will be curious what the verdict is of draftniks who value accuracy.

HarveyWallbangers
02-04-2018, 05:23 PM
Rosen was getting trashed at the Senior Bowl for ridiculous coverage (a few amazing throws) by other reporters pointing out the receivers he missed.

Will be curious what the verdict is of draftniks who value accuracy.

You're thinking of Josh Allen, the Wyoming QB. Rosen wasn't at the Senior Bowl. He was getting trashed early, but it seems like he improved throughout the week and then he was great in the game. The guy is built like Carson Wentz with identical measurables, similar mobility, even better arm strength, and lesser accuracy. He seems like a good kid. I know he has bust potential, but I'm leaning towards going against the grain and having him #1. The guy has elite size, arm strength, and mobility. In those three traits he might be the best prospect I've ever evaluated. However, the accuracy issues and unknown leadership qualities makes him not as clean of a prospect as Wentz. Ironically, both Wentz and Allen were coached by Craig Bohl. Bohl was the head coach at NDSU before moving onto Wyoming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDXjTDB24cI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTuKHNz9vbA

pbmax
02-04-2018, 05:31 PM
You are probably right.

HarveyWallbangers
02-04-2018, 11:05 PM
There is a lot of height to the WR group. There are several 6'2"-6'4" receivers. They aren't overly athletic (e.g Mike Evans) though.

I'm really liking the TE group so far.

RashanGary
02-06-2018, 11:04 AM
Marcus Davenport looks interesting.

https://youtu.be/fTyTQtQotzc

pbmax
02-07-2018, 02:33 PM
Packers must draft this guy based on name alone.

Daniel Jeremiah
Just finished studying ND WR Equanimeous St Brown...very interesting player. Creates consistent separation but the ball placement is deplorable. He's got quickness at the top of his route and his ability to adjust is outstanding. I put a big grade on him.

wist43
02-07-2018, 03:37 PM

I looked at him a bit... crossed him off my list.

Don't think he's quick enough.

wist43
02-07-2018, 03:40 PM
Did you say that after Davante's second season?

Everyone was disappointed with Adams after his 2nd season... he was awful.

Difference between Adams and Spriggs is that Adams at least showed some upside in his 1st 2 years, while Spriggs has been awful every single day he's been a Packer.

run pMc
02-08-2018, 09:29 AM

Daniel Jeremiah
Just finished studying ND WR Equanimeous St Brown...very interesting player. Creates consistent separation but the ball placement is deplorable. He's got quickness at the top of his route and his ability to adjust is outstanding. I put a big grade on him.

Yeah, I think I read something about this kid. Looks rail thin but slippery and runs couple of routes and has ok hands. Probably would get eaten up by press-man, looks like he has a big catch radius...not sure he's explosive/dynamic. The combine will be big for him. What is he a R2-R3 pick?
Put him and Micheal Clark on the field and you have wideouts bigger than everyone but maybe Tampa Bay.

gbgary
02-08-2018, 12:21 PM
mock yesterday had us drafting a safety...derwin james

QBME
02-08-2018, 07:00 PM

Just finished studying ND WR Equanimeous St Brown...

This is why I stay reservedly on the sidelines regarding draft possibilities. It is exactly how I bet the ponies when the wife drags me to Arlington Race Track. And I suck at it.

denverYooper
02-08-2018, 08:12 PM

Daniel Jeremiah

Is that like picking a wine based on the label?

HarveyWallbangers
02-08-2018, 09:37 PM
ESB is an intriguing prospect. I'll be interested in how he looks at the combine.

Cheesehead Craig
02-09-2018, 07:51 AM

How else are you supposed to pick out a wine?

pbmax
02-09-2018, 11:47 AM

Just the name. Forget the label. I need new Thread Name inspiration.

woodbuck27
02-09-2018, 03:02 PM

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-broncos-move-up-to-no-1-and-a-trade-for-every-first-round-pick/

1. Denver Broncos (from CLE)

" Sam Darnold, QB, USC. If the Broncos can't land Kirk Cousins in free agency, and they're not satisfied going into the season with any of the other free agents, they'll have a problem on their hands: who starts at QB? Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch have proven to not be the answer. If they get to the draft with nothing but a low-cost stopgap in place, I can definitely see John Elway pulling the trigger on a deal to move up for his No. 1 target. Is that Darnold? Impossible to say at this point, but if it is, there seems little chance he lasts to No. 5."

NO. 14 and a Trade Up to Position 9:

9. Green Bay Packers (from SF)

Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa. " The Packers aren't typically a team that goes trading up and down the draft, but the wild card is new general manager Brian Gutekunst. While he's likely to continue the same conservative traditions after rising through the ranks in Green Bay, it's impossible to know for sure whether he'll be more open to wheeling and dealing. After spending a long time as the team's director of college scouting, expecting him to take the risk for the right prospect makes some amount of sense. Jackson could be the guy that's worth it as the top true cornerback prospect in this year's draft."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzWQFlJwQew

Joshua Jackson || Iowa Cornerback || Ultimate Highlights ||

woodbuck27
02-09-2018, 03:15 PM

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-broncos-move-up-to-no-1-and-a-trade-for-every-first-round-pick/

He goes at NO. 20 to the NE Patriots in this Mock.

He appears stiff to me but a gamer 'lunch box' sort of player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwpEQ-4NYz8

Marcus Davenport (UTSA EDGE) vs Baylor - 2017

bobblehead
02-10-2018, 09:24 AM
Everyone was disappointed with Adams after his 2nd season... he was awful.

Difference between Adams and Spriggs is that Adams at least showed some upside in his 1st 2 years, while Spriggs has been awful every single day he's been a Packer.

It takes OL longer to develop. I hate spriggs, he is awful, but he could still be a player. Many an OL the packers gave up on went on to long careers.

bobblehead
02-10-2018, 09:31 AM
mock yesterday had us drafting a safety...derwin james

I really doubt that he is there when we pick, although he reminds me of antonio cromartie coming out. Cromartie was a slam dunk top 10 pick except for injury. James played all of 2017 and got better as he gained confidence in his health. Guy will not be around at our pick, but if he is .... whoa nelly!!

wist43
02-10-2018, 10:42 AM
It takes OL longer to develop. I hate spriggs, he is awful, but he could still be a player. Many an OL the packers gave up on went on to long careers.

That's true... I think the shock is just how bad Spriggs has been.

In college he looked like a guy with some skills and upside, but since drafting him he has been worse than terrible.

pbmax
02-10-2018, 01:26 PM
Your doubt just fuels SPRIGGS™ offseason.

Bretsky
02-11-2018, 10:15 AM
Your doubt just fuels SPRIGGS™ offseason.

Spriggs Blows; good thing we used two picks to get him :)

pbmax
02-11-2018, 10:39 AM
Doubt fuels performance. Better than nitrous.

Mike Lombardi thinks he'll make the Pro Bowl next year at RT. :lol:

Fritz
02-11-2018, 03:57 PM
Don't give up yet. If he sucks or suffers a season-ending injury, then let the criticism fly. Give him that big third year to see if he fingers it out.

SudsMcBucky
02-12-2018, 11:38 AM
Doubt fuels performance. Better than nitrous.

Mike Lombardi thinks he'll make the Pro Bowl next year at RT. :lol:

Yeah, well Mike Lombardi also thought Doug Pederson was the least qualified person to coach a team that he'd seen in all his 30 years of professional football. :)

pbmax
02-12-2018, 01:56 PM
Yeah, well Mike Lombardi also thought Doug Pederson was the least qualified person to coach a team that he'd seen in all his 30 years of professional football. :)

https://i.imgur.com/utzTCyo.png

bobblehead
02-12-2018, 02:33 PM

So he underestimates people.....by that standart Spriggs should be Jonathon Ogden by week 3.

Fritz
02-15-2018, 12:18 PM
...and then get hurt and turn into Marshall Newhouse by week four.

woodbuck27
02-18-2018, 08:38 PM
This just into my E-Mail Inbox and for what it's worth:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2759638-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-who-is-the-best-player-in-2018-draft?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Matt Miller's Scouting Notebook: Who Is the Best Player in 2018 Draft?

MATT MILLER ..........FEBRUARY 16, 2018

9. San Francisco 49ers (coin flip): LB Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech

10. Oakland Raiders (coin flip): CB Denzel Ward, Ohio State

11. Miami Dolphins: QB Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

12. Cincinnati Bengals: LB Roquan Smith, Georgia

13. Washington: LB Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State

14. Green Bay Packers: EDGE Marcus Davenport, UT-San Antonio

15. Arizona Cardinals: OT Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame

16. Baltimore Ravens: WR Calvin Ridley, Alabama

17. Los Angeles Chargers: OT Connor Williams, Texas

18. Seattle Seahawks: G/C Billy Price, Ohio State

pbmax
02-19-2018, 09:02 AM
I don't think he watched enough Packer games. The last thing the Packers need is a guy tailor made for the slot.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2758739-2018-nfl-mock-draft-mike-taniers-guesstacular-first-round-predictions

14. Green Bay Packers: Denzel Ward, Cornerback, Ohio State

The Packers ranked dead last in the NFL at stopping opponents' No. 1 receivers and 26th at stopping their No. 2 receivers, according to Football Outsiders. Injuries at cornerback were a huge part of the problem, but projected starters Damarious Randall and Quinten Rollins have never been consistent, Davon House is about to enter free agency and the bottom of the depth chart is full of names like Lenzy Pipkins.

Denzel Ward is a mighty-mite type: undersized at 5'10", 191 pounds, but with the physicality of an enforcer on the edge of the defense. Drop him in the slot, and he'll throw his body around against the run while demonstrating range and alertness as an underneath defender. Move him outside and he can grow into a shutdown corner, albeit one who will have to be moved around to avoid size mismatches against Julio Jones types.

This is a safe, down-the-middle choice by the standards of the Packers, who often listened to the music of the spheres when Ted Thompson ran the draft. Look for new GM Brian Gutekunst to be a little more conventional as the Packers try to rebound from a season that exposed their reliance on Aaron Rodgers.

wist43
02-19-2018, 04:09 PM
Most of what is wrong on defense was due to Dom Capers and the outgoing coaching staff... it's tough to tell what we really have in terms of talent b/c of how misused everyone was.

That said, we do know some things...

Ryan is maxed out as a backup/ST's guy - has no business in an NFL starting lineup.

Martinez is average, probably needs to be replaced. Maybe some coaching can help him - he's better than Ryan, and occasionally shows some ability, but overall he's not shown he should be a starter in the league.

Randall is a one-trick pony, can't tackle, takes bad angles, and just isn't a very good football player. Needs to be replaced.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Tackling overall has always been an issue since Capers has been there, and some of that has to do with the skirt-wearing style of players the Packers have preferred in the past. Hopefully with a new staff coming in, we'll see some fundamental changes in approach and attitude.

------------------------------------------------------------------

As for players in this draft - I don't want Davenport at all. I just don't see him having enough quickness or any other outstanding quality that puts him in the 1st round. To me, from the little tape that I've watched, he looks like a low-round, undrafted FA type.

Been hearing some buzz too about Darius Leonard, LB, South Carolina State... but I didn't like what I saw of him either.

Front seven guys I've looked at that I've like so far are...

Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State
Arden Key, LB/Edge, LSU
Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virgina Tech
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, LB, Oklahoma
Harold Landry, LB/Edge, Boston College

Teamcheez1
02-19-2018, 08:49 PM
I agree that Ryan is nothing special. Martinez is above average now.

I would have to disagree on Randall. He may have had his issues, but he has the most potential of any of our CB's right now. Does he achieve it? I guess we'll find out.

call_me_ishmael
02-19-2018, 10:07 PM
LOL, wist lists 6 top 45 players as the guys he likes. Well no shit sherlock :-p

This is a really deep ILB class. Lots of good players here. I have to imagine the Packers pick two ILBs in the first 5 rounds or so simply because the talent is too good. Pass rushers are going to be tough to come by I think though. My gut feeling is if Edmunds is there, you can't pass him up. He's like Peppers with the size and speed. It's just rare. I doubt he will be, though. He's not a pass rusher so he won't go #1, but he will be top 5 I think. Some of the beat writers like Landry, they say he has great bend.

I wouldn't mind any of those peeps except for Key. Seems to be a head case. Roquan Smith is an absolute animal.

pbmax
02-20-2018, 07:49 AM
wist has never seen a field hockey game.

At least watch Meatballs wist. Those girls are brutal.

jklowan
02-22-2018, 02:22 PM
Running some mock drafts - Man we have a lot of picks this year, hopefully we do the trade up thing...

1: LB TREMAINE EDMUNDS - VIRGINIA TECH
2: WR JAMES WASHINGTON - OKLAHOMA STATE
3: TE DALLAS GOEDERT - SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
4: DL TIM SETTLE - VIRGINIA TECH
5: LB DAVIN BELLAMY - GEORGIA
6:CB DJ REED - KANSAS STATE
7: LB JACK CICHY - WISCONSIN
8: DL POONA FORD - TEXAS
9: G SKYLER PHILLIPS - IDAHO STATE
10: EDGE ANDREW BROWN - VIRGINIA
11: CB JORDAN THOMAS - OKLAHOMA

jklowan
02-22-2018, 08:45 PM
or another

14: LB ROQUAN SMITH GEORGIA

45: EDGE CHAD THOMAS MIAMI (FLA.)

76: TE MARK ANDREWS OKLAHOMA

101: CB JC JACKSON MARYLAND

116: CB QUENTON MEEKS STANFORD

152: G WYATT TELLER VIRGINIA TECH

173: OT GEORGE SENAT WAGNER
175: TE DURHAM SMYTHE NOTRE DAME
177: S JESSIE BATES WAKE FOREST
189: LB AZEEM VICTOR WASHINGTON
232: WR STEVE ISHMAEL SYRACUSE

239: QB NIC SHIMONEK TEXAS TECH

Joemailman
03-04-2018, 10:37 AM
Suddenly hearing a lot about this guy:

Leighton Vander Esch - LB - Boise St.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/leighton-vander%20esch?id=2560232

pbmax
03-04-2018, 11:29 AM
DRAFT RISER ALERT. Texas Tech's Nic Shimonek(QB) was the surprise star of the drills. His dropback and delivery are smooth and quick, and his anticipation and accuracy were consistently strong. The 6'3" Shimonek has the size and athleticism to play at the NFL level. Don't rank him among the top five just yet, but Shimonek should be on the middle-round watch list for teams seeking long-term prospects. (Hello, Patriots.)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2762442-combine-notebook-sam-darnold-josh-rosen-and-the-virtual-qb-rivalry

Joemailman
03-04-2018, 11:54 AM
http://draftanalyst.com/combine-notes-day-5

According to teams, Leighton Vander Esch has been crushing interviews and continues to impress people. After weighing in at 256 pounds and completing 20 reps on the bench, the Boise State linebacker is hoping to run under 4.7 in the 40-yard dash. Truth be told, anything at or below 4.75 would be a great time. I’ve been told the Green Bay Packers are very high on Vander Esch and that he won’t get past the Pittsburgh Steelers in Round 1.

red
03-04-2018, 12:02 PM
Suddenly hearing a lot about this guy:

Leighton Vander Esch - LB - Boise St.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/leighton-vander%20esch?id=2560232

is he this years great white hype?

Joemailman
03-04-2018, 12:15 PM
is he this years great white hype?

You mean like Urlacher?:glug:

There are now 4 potential ILB's who could be possible picks for the Packers: Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, Rashaan Evans and Vander Esch. Unusual depth for that position.

red
03-04-2018, 12:23 PM
So, is #14 to high to draft a guy with only one hand?

Cause shaquem griffin just ran a 4.38

And I the bowl game I watched of him, the guy flat out dominated

pbmax
03-04-2018, 12:35 PM
wrong thread

pbmax
03-04-2018, 12:36 PM
wrong thread

Joemailman
03-04-2018, 12:52 PM
So, is #14 to high to draft a guy with only one hand?

Cause shaquem griffin just ran a 4.38

And I the bowl game I watched of him, the guy flat out dominated

Everybody seems to have him rated a Day 3 pick. A great 40 time won't change that.

red
03-04-2018, 01:13 PM
Everybody seems to have him rated a Day 3 pick. A great 40 time won't change that.

i have a feeling his stock is gonna go up

he's one of those guys that impresses at the combine and makes people go look at his tape. and the tape is impressive, guy is everywhere on the field

like i said, one or two hands, the guy can flat out play

Joemailman
03-04-2018, 03:42 PM
i have a feeling his stock is gonna go up

he's one of those guys that impresses at the combine and makes people go look at his tape. and the tape is impressive, guy is everywhere on the field

like i said, one or two hands, the guy can flat out play

If he's going to play 3-4 OLB, I guess the biggest question would be whether he can fight off NFL offensive tackles with one hand. On the bright side, he would be 50% less likely to get flagged for illegal use of the hands.

red
03-04-2018, 04:47 PM
more importantly for our first round pick

roquan smith ran a 4.51

i don't think he participated in anything else though

Marcus Davenport ran a 4.58 at 6-6, 264. 3 cone- 7.20

Harold Landry ran a 4.64 at 6-2, 252. 3 cone 6.88

red
03-04-2018, 04:56 PM
coutland sutton a 6'4 wr out of SMU might be someone we should be looking at, he had a really good combine

wist43
03-04-2018, 05:10 PM
more importantly for our first round pick

roquan smith ran a 4.51

i don't think he participated in anything else though

Marcus Davenport ran a 4.58 at 6-6, 264. 3 cone- 7.20

Harold Landry ran a 4.64 at 6-2, 252. 3 cone 6.88

I like Landry best out of those 3... don't want Davenport at all.

Cheesehead Craig
03-04-2018, 05:32 PM
I like Smith a lot, but I do like Landry, he's seems like he plays smart as well as tough.

red
03-04-2018, 05:43 PM
If he's going to play 3-4 OLB, I guess the biggest question would be whether he can fight off NFL offensive tackles with one hand. On the bright side, he would be 50% less likely to get flagged for illegal use of the hands.

at 6'1, 227, with 4.38 speed, i think he's a sideline to sideline ILB

Zool
03-04-2018, 06:20 PM

Or he’s the big safety playing in the box. I’m with red. Watched a few UCF games this year. He always stands out.

red
03-04-2018, 06:45 PM
heres some quick writeups from walter footballabout the LBers

Shaquem Griffin, LB, Central Florida

NFL Network hyped up Shaquem Griffin like crazy, and rightfully so. Griffin was one of the top winners from this weekend. It all began when he benched 20 reps with a prosthetic hand. He then ran a 4.38 40 - the fastest-recorded time ever for a linebacker at the combine. Griffin didn't stop there, catching passes in the drills better than most of the other linebacker prospects. He finished his day with a 6.88 3-cone. It would be shocking, at this point, if Griffin were to fall into Day 3.

Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama

Of all the linebackers at the combine, Rashaan Evans performed the best in the field workouts. He was extremely fluid in the coverage drills, and those alone may have cemented his first-round status. His agility numbers weren't bad either, as he posted a 6.95 3-cone time.

Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State

Leighton Vander Esch's 40 time of 4.65 was slower than Roquan Smith's (4.51) and Tremaine Edmunds (4.54), but his other numbers were better. He notched 39.5 inches in the vertical and 10-4 in the broad jump. His 3-cone time of 6.88 was also excellent. Vander Esch was also very smooth in the drills. He'll likely be chosen Thursday night.

red
03-04-2018, 06:46 PM
Or he’s the big safety playing in the box. I’m with red. Watched a few UCF games this year. He always stands out.

could replace burnett

thats what i first thought he was when i noticed him, a safety

Joemailman
03-04-2018, 07:33 PM

Or a WILL in a 4-3 lineup. Interesting guy. It will be interesting to see if he moves up draft boards after today. He had 13 passes defensed on 42 targets. I'd think that's pretty awesome for a LB.

pbmax
03-04-2018, 08:13 PM

Now that would be a challenge flag I'd love to watch.

Joemailman
03-05-2018, 08:00 AM
http://draftanalyst.com/combine-notes-day-6

- As we previewed the past week, Boise State linebacker Leighton Vander Esch knocked it out of the park. While he wasn’t the fastest in the 40, his 4.65 mark was better than scouts expected and was a tremendous mark for the 256-pound linebacker. His 39.5-inch vertical jump ranked second among linebackers, while his 10-foot-4-inch broad was a top-four mark. His 6.88 three-cone and 4.15 short shuttle were top-five marks. Vander Esch was one of just four linebackers who ran the long shuttle, and his time of 11.57 was just .05 behind that of Josey Jewell, who clocked the fastest time. I mentioned that Vander Esch would not get past the Pittsburgh Steelers, who own the 28th selection, and I’m now hearing that Vander Esch could be drafted by the Green Bay Packers with the 14th pick. The Philadelphia Eagles would love to add Vander Esch with the last pick of the first round but have come to the conclusion he won’t be available.

- Lorenzo Carter and Roquan Smith of Georgia both had terrific combine workouts. Carter, who I’ve always believed was a first-round talent, ran under 4.5 in the 40, bested everyone in his group with a broad jump of 10-feet-10-inches and posted a vertical jump of 39.5 inches. Roquan Smith ran 4.51 and will do the rest of the drills at his pro day. I have been informed both players were red-flagged medically by a number of teams due to past injury history. While I don’t expect the medical evaluations to be a drag on the draft stock of Carter and Smith, it is something likely to be part of the debate on draft day when each player is being considered.

Joemailman
03-05-2018, 08:33 AM
Tremaine Edmunds isn't 20 years old yet. He was born 5-2-1998. Which means he's probably not done growing.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-05-2018, 08:49 AM
Boise State linebacker Leighton Vander Esch...Wasn’t the fastest in the 40...4.65 mark...Could be drafted by the Green Bay Packers with the 14th pick.

I thought Todd Thompson was demoted. No? Vander Esch looks like a player Todd would draft. No thanks. The Packers have more than enough slow, white or whitish ILBers with Hyde-awful coverage skills on their roster.

If the Packers are gonna draft an ILB, I'd prefer they draft Tremaine Edmunds or the Jamie Lannister-clone - 4.38 40 is impressive.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-05-2018, 09:07 AM
Tremaine Edmunds isn't 20 years old yet. He was born 5-2-1998. Which means he's probably not done growing.

Kids today, eh? So disrespectful. I flip burgers for the minimum-wage so I sometimes work with teenagers. A kid and I were arguing the other day about who is the GOAT corner in NFL history. The kid was like, Jalen Ramsey! I was like, kid, I was shutting down Darren Charles when you were merely a sperm, so trust me when I say Neon Deion Sanders is the GOAT. The Kid was like, who the fuck is Darren Charles?

That being said, NFL.com compares Edmunds to Urlacher. Pretty sure Urlacher was white, but if the Packer could get an Urlacher-clone, that'd be awesome. I'd take Edmunds over Vander Esch.

Joemailman
03-05-2018, 09:18 AM
Kids today, eh? So disrespectful. I flip burgers for the minimum-wage so I sometimes work with teenagers. A kid and I were arguing the other day about who is the GOAT corner in NFL history. The kid was like, Jalen Ramsey! I was like, kid, I was shutting down Darren Charles when you were merely a sperm, so trust me when I say Neon Deion Sanders is the GOAT. The Kid was like, who the fuck is Darren Charles?

That being said, NFL.com compares Edmunds to Urlacher. Pretty sure Urlacher was white, but if the Packer could get an Urlacher-clone, that'd be awesome. I'd take Edmunds over Vander Esch.

As would I, but I don't think Edmunds will be available. As for speed, Vander Esch's 40 time of 4.65 was close to Urlacher's 4.61. A.J. Hawk was 4.64. So much for using 40 times to judge ILB's.

Deputy Nutz
03-05-2018, 09:30 AM
The Packers have holes at Tight End, Inside Linebacker, Offensive line, and Corner back.
The Packers have depth concerns at just about every position. QB, RB, WR, DL, OLB,

The Packers have a bunch of picks, but I wouldnt mind them trading back in the first round that would possibly pick up another 1st round pick or a combination of a 2nd round and a 4th round pick. The Packers don't have any play makers on defense any more. Clay Matthews is finished and overrated to begin with, and he is as close as the Packer get to having a play maker on defense. So taking a top flight defensive play at any position with the 14th pick would make just as much sense as trading the 14th pick in hopes of picking up another first round pick.

The Bills are the only team that drafts after the Packers that have two first round picks. So might not be possible

Anti-Polar Bear
03-05-2018, 09:42 AM
As would I, but I don't think Edmunds will be available. As for speed, Vander Esch's 40 time of 4.65 was close to Urlacher's 4.61. A.J. Hawk was 4.64. So much for using 40 times to judge ILB's.

Jake Ryan also ran a 4.65. Ryan looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. Vander Esch looks like a Ryan clone to me.

Joemailman
03-05-2018, 09:57 AM
The Packers have holes at Tight End, Inside Linebacker, Offensive line, and Corner back.
The Packers have depth concerns at just about every position. QB, RB, WR, DL, OLB,

The Packers have a bunch of picks, but I wouldnt mind them trading back in the first round that would possibly pick up another 1st round pick or a combination of a 2nd round and a 4th round pick. The Packers don't have any play makers on defense any more. Clay Matthews is finished and overrated to begin with, and he is as close as the Packer get to having a play maker on defense. So taking a top flight defensive play at any position with the 14th pick would make just as much sense as trading the 14th pick in hopes of picking up another first round pick.

The Bills are the only team that drafts after the Packers that have two first round picks. So might not be possible

Actually it might be possible to get a 2nd round pick. Buffalo has picks 21,22 in 1st round and 53,56 in 2nd round. If Buffalo wants to move up to 14, they might be willing to give up one of the 2nd round picks. It would be pretty close on draft value charts.

Joemailman
03-05-2018, 10:02 AM
Jake Ryan also ran a 4.65. Ryan looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. Vander Esch looks like a Ryan clone to me.

Vander Esch is regarded as excellent in pass coverage. Ryan is certainly not. It doesn't have anything to do with 40 times. It has to do with overall athleticism.

red
03-05-2018, 10:10 AM
I thought Todd Thompson was demoted. No? Vander Esch looks like a player Todd would draft. No thanks. The Packers have more than enough slow, white or whitish ILBers with Hyde-awful coverage skills on their roster.

If the Packers are gonna draft an ILB, I'd prefer they draft Tremaine Edmunds or the Jamie Lannister-clone - 4.38 40 is impressive.

I was gonna say the same thing. We already have the whitest LB core on football

It’s like it’s our “thing”

Joemailman
03-05-2018, 10:28 AM
40: Urlacher 4.61 Vander Esch 4.65 Edmunds 4.54

Broad: Urlacher 122 Vander Esch 124 Edmunds 117

Bench: Urlacher 27 Vander Esch 20 Edmunds 19

Vertical: Urlacher 34 Vander Esch 39.5 Edmunds N/A

3 Cone: Urlacher 6.94 Vander Esch 6.88 Edmunds N/A

60 Yd: Urlacher 11.10 Vander Esch 11.57 Edmunds N/A

Vander Esch's overall athleticism is pretty good. Assuming you think Urlacher was athletic enough.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-05-2018, 10:45 AM
Clay Matthews is finished and overrated to begin with...

Hater. Claymaker was awesome at OLB, and still is. Problem is, Claymaker's a hammy pull waiting to happen. Take away the injuries and the wasteful move to ILB for a couple a seasons, and Claymaker would be giving LT a run for his money as the GOAT OLB.

Move the Claymaker to ILB when he's 38, not while he's still awesome.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-05-2018, 10:55 AM
I was gonna say the same thing. We already have the whitest LB core on football

It’s like it’s our “thing”

Or maybe it's only a Polar Bear thing? Gutekunst looks like a hipster. Whether he's an actual hipster remains to be seen.

I'm no racist, but I wouldn't mind an all-white LB crop if the unit is awesome. lol

Anti-Polar Bear
03-05-2018, 10:58 AM
40: Urlacher 4.61 Vander Esch 4.65 Edmunds 4.54

Broad: Urlacher 122 Vander Esch 124 Edmunds 117

Bench: Urlacher 27 Vander Esch 20 Edmunds 19

Vertical: Urlacher 34 Vander Esch 39.5 Edmunds N/A

3 Cone: Urlacher 6.94 Vander Esch 6.88 Edmunds N/A

60 Yd: Urlacher 11.10 Vander Esch 11.57 Edmunds N/A

Vander Esch's overall athleticism is pretty good. Assuming you think Urlacher was athletic enough.

Guess time will tell.

But I'm betting Vander Esch career will be more like Ryan's than Urlacher's.

pbmax
03-05-2018, 11:54 AM
Matthews has ceased to be a singular pass rush threat from OLB. He very rarely beats tackles anymore, and its been going that way for a while.

His motor, pursuit and speed are still fine. He's still a big plus on defense. He's not as good versus the run as Perry, but he has improved since the spinOrama fails versus Kaepernick.

His pass rush is fine as a second player, he is normally in the pocket and if someone moves the QB off his normal line, he will beat any blocker to the new path. But you need someone to scare the QB off his set and CMIII doesn't do that anymore. In hindsight its kind of predictable because his father was much the same way. Always close, but not dominant in pass rush.

Perry looked like he was going to be that disruptor, but he never has a full season with that kind of production. They have lots of pieces (Daniels is good too), but they need someone to wreak havoc with the pocket immediately and don't have it.

wist43
03-05-2018, 11:59 AM
Guess time will tell.

But I'm betting Vander Esch career will be more like Ryan's than Urlacher's.

I think Vander esch's floor is much higher than Ryan's ceiling.

Ryan needs to be cut.

wist43
03-05-2018, 12:02 PM
As for a difference maker at LB... I'm looking at Landry.

Deputy Nutz
03-05-2018, 12:19 PM
Vander Esch can be a second round pick. His athleticism doesn't transfer on the film I just watched of him. I don't see him being an immediate upgrade over Martinez, sure he is better than Ryan, but you don't need to use the 14th pick in the draft to find a guy better than Ryan.

Roquan Smith isn't polished either, but his athleticism shows up on film. He can cover a back or even a slot receiver, but will get eaten up by blockers. He keeps himself involved in plays, has a motor. His arm tackles will cost him at the next level. His greatest attribute is that his speed allows him to make plays all over the field. He is not a plugger type of ILB. His athleticism will be a plus when looking at matchups against the opposition. He can stay on the field during passing downs.

smuggler
03-05-2018, 01:48 PM
Sherman said that the system is broken if Shaqueem Griffin is drafted after the first three rounds. Is Richard Sherman dumb and/or brain damaged from CTE?

Joemailman
03-05-2018, 02:33 PM
Denzel Ward ran 4.32 and 4.36.

Eisen ran a 5.97.

Orlando Brown had the slowest player time at 5.85.

Joemailman
03-05-2018, 02:38 PM
Sherman said that the system is broken if Shaqueem Griffin is drafted after the first three rounds. Is Richard Sherman dumb and/or brain damaged from CTE?

Maybe he knows about Griffin because Griffins twin brother started 11 games for the Seahawks as a rookie last year.

RashanGary
03-05-2018, 05:26 PM
Harold Landry looks good and performed good at the combine.

Joemailman
03-05-2018, 05:29 PM
If Edmunds is not available I would be inclined to lean toward Landry. The supply of top Edge rushers is not very deep this year.

wthigoot
03-06-2018, 12:47 AM

Like the trade possibilities with Buffalo.

Joemailman's 14 for 21 and 53 is good and a slight advantage for the Packers on the trade chart.

Have seen some mentions of:
Packers #1 (14) #3 (76) for Buffalo's #21 and #22 - larger advantage on the trade chart. Would be easier if Packers had got that comp 3rd for Lang instead of the 4th.

If Buffalo's QB is there and they are a little more desperate, maybe ask for another pick, or Tyrod Taylor. Taylor could be the vet QB backup next year. He's not a starter, but could get you through another bad stretch where Rodgers is missing.

Deputy Nutz
03-06-2018, 11:33 AM
It will be interesting how the front end of this draft plays out. It reminds me a lot of 2005. It is top heavy with QBs and lots of potential that might force certain players to drop. Derwin James is tremendous Athlete but not completely polished at just 21 years old that might have a chance to fall to 14. Same goes with Minkah Fitzpatrick from Alabama.

As of now the Inside linebacker corps looks strong where the Packers might not have to consider taking one with the 14th pick. The Packers could look at a couple of guys like Roquan Smith or Vander Esch, that could potentially play inside or outside. Same goes for interior defensive linemen.

Packers have to figure out their secondary and pass rush. I can't see them taking an edge rusher if they are committed to Matthews and Perry on the outside. The depth of the Edge rushers isn't great for this draft so the Packer might have to look at reaching for one with the 14th pick or hoping a kid pans out later in the draft. Fitzpatrick, Denzel Ward, and James all could be options at 14. They would all help a secondary that is lacking durability, play making potential, and consistency.

Later in the draft I feel it necessary to mention Natrell Jamerson and Leon Jacobs from Wisconsin. Both had fantastic combines and offer depth and explosiveness on special teams.

call_me_ishmael
03-06-2018, 03:42 PM
Davenport put on a show, wow! So dd Landry. The pick will almost certainly be one of those two, or the white dude from Boise.

Davenport's numbers are slightly worse than Clowney's without the intangibles, as in, everyone knew Clowney was a star from a young age.

Landry's numbers are almost spookily similar to CM3.

My gut feeling is Davenport will be gone and Landry will be the pick.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPackers/comments/820qme/davenport_vs_perry_vs_matthews_vs_chubb_vs_landry/dv7i8w2/

wist43
03-06-2018, 07:54 PM
I don't care what Davenport's numbers were at the combine, he doesn't show up on film. I'll look at more film of him, but at this point I don't want him.

As for Landry... I like everything I've seen of him.

run pMc
03-07-2018, 06:48 AM
If they can coach him to stop the run I might come around on Landry. From what I've read he had some trouble vs. high talent OT's as well...but I imagine that will happen. The highlight tapes sure make him look good.

Hard to say what BG will do...but in the days after the combine everyone sounds like a sure fire All-Pro.

Deputy Nutz
03-07-2018, 08:47 AM
Landry doesn't do enough to warrant the 14th pick in the draft

HarveyWallbangers
03-07-2018, 09:46 AM
Vander Esch can be a second round pick. His athleticism doesn't transfer on the film I just watched of him. I don't see him being an immediate upgrade over Martinez, sure he is better than Ryan, but you don't need to use the 14th pick in the draft to find a guy better than Ryan.

Roquan Smith isn't polished either, but his athleticism shows up on film. He can cover a back or even a slot receiver, but will get eaten up by blockers. He keeps himself involved in plays, has a motor. His arm tackles will cost him at the next level. His greatest attribute is that his speed allows him to make plays all over the field. He is not a plugger type of ILB. His athleticism will be a plus when looking at matchups against the opposition. He can stay on the field during passing downs.

Vander Esch is an interesting one. His combine numbers are almost identical to Brian Urlacher. When I watched the first half of the Oregon game, he looked every bit as good as those numbers. He took on blocks, knifed around blocks, he got deep in his drops, he showed some rush ability, he covered a back in the flat and caused a fumble. The second half of that game looked much worse.

Vander Esch = 6'4 1/4" 256, 33 7/8" arms, 9 3/4" hands, 4.65 40, 20 bench reps, 39.5" vertical, 124" broad jump, 6.88 3 cone, 4.15 short shuttle
Urlacher = 6'4" 258, 33" arms, 9 3/4" hands, 4.61 40, 27 bench reps, 34" vertical, 122" broad jump, 6.94 3 cone, 4.18 short shuttle

I don't think there's any concern that he's Kyler Fackrell 2.0, but there were some consistency issues that I have. He did look very smooth in his drills at the combine. I'll have to find more games to watch. I guess I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him. I think he'll continue to rise. He played ILB in mostly a 3-4 at Boise State in the game I watched.

Deputy Nutz
03-07-2018, 09:50 AM
I agree with Partial, Landry doesn't do anything in the run game

In fact he looks to be a liability

HarveyWallbangers
03-07-2018, 09:55 AM
Landry's measurables are comparable to Matthews, and he looked better on film than I thought he would. I'm not ready to say he's CMIII though. He didn't look that good. There are things to like though. Again, with the dearth of pass rushers in this draft he'll continue to rise.

Harold Landry = 6'2 1/4" 252, 4.64 40, 24 bench reps, 36" vertical, 119" broad jump, 6.88 3 cone, 4.19 short shuttle
Clay Matthews = 6'3" 240, 4.62 40, 23 bench reps, 35 1/2" vertical, 121" broad jump, 6.90 3 cone, 4.18 short shuttle

Tremaine Edmunds is the guy I want, but after the combine I don't think there's any way he drops to #14. Not sure if it's worth trading up for him though. Davenport is a crap shoot. I'll have to dig into Josh Sweat's film after his combine performance.

pbmax
03-07-2018, 10:07 AM
Does anyone have the 10 yard split for Landry? Because outside of motor, that quick get off was Matthews most dominating skill.

pbmax
03-07-2018, 10:18 AM
03/06/18 - 2018 NFL Combine Winners: Harold Landry, DE, Boston College...After leading the FBS in sacks in 2016, Landry had a forgettable senior season due to injury. However, he helped remind scouts why he is deserving of first-round consideration. At 6-2 and 252 pounds with 33-inch arms, Landry ran a 4.64 40-yard dash with a 1.58 10-yard split, 6.88 three-cone and 36-inch vertical. Cut from the same cloth as Vic Beasley, Landry should hear his name called on night one of the draft. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

Matthews ran a 1.49 split. He looks rail thin at 250 lbs.

HarveyWallbangers
03-07-2018, 10:22 AM
Does anyone have the 10 yard split for Landry? Because outside of motor, that quick get off was Matthews most dominating skill.

Landry had a good split of 1.58. I think he was second to Josh Sweat in that category. Matthews had a ridiculous 1.49 split.

Chubb had 1.63u. Davenport had 1.63u.

HarveyWallbangers
03-07-2018, 10:23 AM
DP

Smidgeon
03-07-2018, 10:40 AM
Landry's measurables are comparable to Matthews, and he looked better on film than I thought he would. I'm not ready to say he's CMIII though. He didn't look that good. There are things to like though. Again, with the dearth of pass rushers in this draft he'll continue to rise.

Harold Landry = 6'2 1/4" 252, 4.64 40, 24 bench reps, 36" vertical, 119" broad jump, 6.88 3 cone, 4.19 short shuttle
Clay Matthews = 6'3" 240, 4.62 40, 23 bench reps, 35 1/2" vertical, 121" broad jump, 6.90 3 cone, 4.18 short shuttle

Tremaine Edmunds is the guy I want, but after the combine I don't think there's any way he drops to #14. Not sure if it's worth trading up for him though. Davenport is a crap shoot. I'll have to dig into Josh Sweat's film after his combine performance.

"CMIII II"

Anti-Polar Bear
03-07-2018, 11:03 AM

What's Landry's Wonderlic score, even though the Wonderlic is kinda racist and it doesn't measure football IQ?

Leaked sources say the Claymaker scored 27. However, I'd argue that the Claymaker's most dominating trait is his high football IQ. Dude is one smart motherfucker on the football field.

I know, Deputy Nutz hates the Claymaker b/c of his penchant for freelancing. But if the Claymaker sees a bootleg coming presnap, who gives a fuck that his assignment is to cover the flat? Just attack the QB, as the Claymaker did to Sanchez in the Packers' dismantling of the Chip Kelly Eggles 2 or 3 seasons ago (Sanchez ran a bootleg and an Eggle reciever was WIDE OPEN - thank Zeus the Claymaker freelanced and sacked Sanchez).

wist43
03-07-2018, 11:15 AM
Landry doesn't do enough to warrant the 14th pick in the draft

You're nutz, Nutz ;)

Landry has the quickness, and can get low and bend enough to be a serious threat off the edge. You can't coach that. The other stuff can be coached up. I'd definitely take him at 14.

I wouldn't consider Davenport before the 4th round.

HarveyWallbangers
03-07-2018, 11:17 AM
Later in the draft I feel it necessary to mention Natrell Jamerson and Leon Jacobs from Wisconsin. Both had fantastic combines and offer depth and explosiveness on special teams.

What do Badger fans think of the Badger prospects this year? One guy who stood out to me was Nick Nelson. He looked good in the drills. He even caught the ball relatively well.

call_me_ishmael
03-07-2018, 11:26 AM
What do Badger fans think of the Badger prospects this year? One guy who stood out to me was Nick Nelson. He looked good in the drills. He even caught the ball relatively well.

The Two LBs did very well for themselves too and almost certainly will get drafted now. That defense had a whole lotta talent.

call_me_ishmael
03-07-2018, 11:28 AM
Yeah it does seem that Landry has excellent bend for rounding the edge. I agree with that.

Deputy Nutz
03-07-2018, 11:28 AM
My list for 14
1. Derwin James SS: Probably not going to be there but you never know the way the draft falls
2. Minkah Fitzpatrick DB: He can play any where in the secondary, if he drops to 14 the Packers should scoop him up
3. Denzel Ward CB: Great feet and vision. I don't like his frame all that much, I like CB that can tackle but the Packers need a shut down type corner in the passing game
4. Roquan Smith LB: On paper and on film he is the only true linebacker I would consider with the 14th pick. Packers lack speed at the position and he brings the athleticism and speed
5. Ogbonnia Okoronkwo Edge: 3:4 pass rusher. He uses his hands well, wears down against big athletic tackles. needs to keep his feet.
6. Quenton Nelson G: No one would be happy with this pick, but the Packers have a holes on their offensive line and he is the best in the draft. He would be an immediate starter at right guard.
7.Tremaine Edmunds LB: I don't know why he is so highly rated, I guess if he is ranked in the top 5 I will "Trust" the experts.

Other guys
Joshua Jackson CB
Jaire Alexander CB
Mike Hughes CB
Marcus Davenport Edge,
Rashaan Evans LB
Taven Bryan DL
Leighton Vander Esch LB
Harold Landry Edge
Courtland Sutton WR

woodbuck27
03-07-2018, 11:38 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000919673/article/2018-nfl-draft-order-for-all-seven-rounds

The Packers today have these Picks:

Round 1: Pick NO 14 overall.

Round 2: Pick 13 and NO. 45 overall.

Round 3: Pick 12 and NO. 76 overall.

Round 4: Pick 14 and NO. 114 overall.

Round 4: Pick 33 and NO.133 overall (Compensatory)

The Green Bay Packers also have Picks: 150, 172, 174, 186, 207, 232 and 239.

So that's a Total of 12 Picks and THREE in the Top 76 Draft eligible Prospects.

GO PACK GO !

bobblehead
03-07-2018, 11:43 AM
My list for 14
1. Derwin James SS: Probably not going to be there but you never know the way the draft falls
2. Minkah Fitzpatrick DB: He can play any where in the secondary, if he drops to 14 the Packers should scoop him up
3. Denzel Ward CB: Great feet and vision. I don't like his frame all that much, I like CB that can tackle but the Packers need a shut down type corner in the passing game
4. Roquan Smith LB: On paper and on film he is the only true linebacker I would consider with the 14th pick. Packers lack speed at the position and he brings the athleticism and speed
5. Ogbonnia Okoronkwo Edge: 3:4 pass rusher. He uses his hands well, wears down against big athletic tackles. needs to keep his feet.
6. Quenton Nelson G: No one would be happy with this pick, but the Packers have a holes on their offensive line and he is the best in the draft. He would be an immediate starter at right guard.
7.Tremaine Edmunds LB: I don't know why he is so highly rated, I guess if he is ranked in the top 5 I will "Trust" the experts.

Other guys
Joshua Jackson CB
Jaire Alexander CB
Mike Hughes CB
Marcus Davenport Edge,
Rashaan Evans LB
Taven Bryan DL
Leighton Vander Esch LB
Harold Landry Edge
Courtland Sutton WR
Yea, I saw Derwin go to us in a few early mocks and few posters here talked about him, but I would say no way possible he gets to 14. If he did, I would get excited.

My heart says reach for the best pass rush we can get at 14, but my brain says take the bpa. You never know where your holes will be in 2 years, so you put as much talent as possible on your roster and try and fill holes any way you can.

Based on most mocks I have seen the bpa will be a cb. But again, I'm no super scout and as you say, the draft can throw you a curve ball. The only position on the entire roster that I don't feel like we could upgrade is QB. I'm probably happier at OL than most posters here, but would I sneeze at a pro bowl guard or tackle in round 1...hell no. WR? Of course we could use a stud. I would never take a RB in the first unless its a generational talent available at 5-10 so that won't happen. Again, tell me where a pro bowl level player is not needed.

Deputy Nutz
03-07-2018, 12:17 PM

Nick Nelson isn't going to convince anyone he is a first round draft pick with his 4.52, but his overall workout wasn't terrible.
Jamerson couldn't have had a better combine. I think he went from a free agent to being drafted.
Jacobs is a great athlete that a team can't resist drafting probably higher than he should be. He will be great on special teams, I don't know if he can be a starter in the NFL. He had a fantastic combine.
Dooley was just a bit too slow, he might make a team as a 7th round pick or a free agent. Good football player, but he might not have the tools for the next level.

woodbuck27
03-07-2018, 12:18 PM
My list for 14

Other guys
Joshua Jackson CB
Jaire Alexander CB
Mike Hughes CB
Marcus Davenport Edge,
Rashaan Evans LB
Taven Bryan DL
Leighton Vander Esch LB
Harold Landry Edge
Courtland Sutton WR

This says it will be:

CB Joshua 'Josh' Jackson and 'Good Size' @ 6 ' - 0 3/8 " and 196 lbs ... from Iowa Hawkeyes.

https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/2165597/josh-jackson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzWQFlJwQew

HarveyWallbangers
03-07-2018, 12:27 PM
My list for 14

Other guys
Joshua Jackson CB
Jaire Alexander CB
Mike Hughes CB
Marcus Davenport Edge,
Rashaan Evans LB
Taven Bryan DL
Leighton Vander Esch LB
Harold Landry Edge
Courtland Sutton WR

I like Okoronkwo on film and at the Senior Bowl, but then he disappointed at the combine. It's going to be hard for Green Bay to take him at 6'1 1/2" and 4.77 40. I do think he's a bit underrated. He's like a shorter KGB. Not that high on Alexander. Hughes disappointed at the combine--along with Josh Jackson. Jackson looked stiff in drills and ran slow. I think he's a zone CB. Hughes is 5'10" and ran a pretty slow 40 for his size. I'm not that high on Sutton.

Right now, I'd say my wish list is:

1) Denzel Ward
2) Quenton Nelson
3) Tremaine Edmunds
4) Derwin James
5) Minkah Fitzpatrick (I see him as a S; he's not Jalen Ramsey)

Unfortunately, I don't see any way the top 5 will be available.

6) Roquan Smith
7) Harold Landry
8) Leighton Vander Esch (he could play inside or possibly outside in a 3-4)
9) Rashaan Evans
10) Vita Vea
11) Calvin Ridley

I think three QBs are guaranteed to go top 14 (Allen, Rosen, Darnold). That would be my top 11 right now (outside of QBs). Payne, Davenport, and Bryan would be next in line.

What's interesting is that Davenport is considered a physical freak, but than Vander Esch did this:

Marcus Davenport = 6'5 1/2" 264, 33 5/8" arms, 9 1/8" hands, 4.58 40, 22 bench reps, 33.5" vertical, 124" broad jump, 7.20 3 cone, 4.41 short shuttle
Leighton Vander Esch= 6'4 1/4" 256, 33 7/8" arms, 9 3/4" hands, 4.65 40, 20 bench reps, 39.5" vertical, 124" broad jump, 6.88 3 cone, 4.15 short shuttle

I also see Davenport as a better prospect as a 4-3 DE than 3-4 OLB--although his athleticism keeps him in the conversation for our draft pick.

Deputy Nutz
03-07-2018, 12:28 PM
Jackson's 4.56 forty? probably not with the 14th pick

HarveyWallbangers
03-07-2018, 12:43 PM
Pettine could get pretty creative having Matthews (as an outside rusher with experience inside), Vander Esch (as an inside player with potential on the outside), and Perry (as an outside with experience and toughness against the run to play on the line). I'd still like to see another outside guy (like Josh Sweat) drafted relatively high.

Wilkerson, Clark, Daniels with Lowry and Adams backing up on the DL + Matthews, Perry, Vander Esch, and Martinez with Sweat and Ryan (as a run down defender) backing up at LB would make the front 7 look a lot better.

woodbuck27
03-07-2018, 12:59 PM
Jackson's 4.56 forty? probably not with the 14th pick

It seems that's 'the talk' and ranking Prospects at CB.

CB Prospects such as Isaiah Oliver (same size as Josh Jackson) or a much more ** speedy Jaire Alexander ** of Louisville might move ahead of CB Josh Jackson.

** Jaire Alexander, at 5-foot-11 and 192 pounds, ran a 4.38 40 at the Combine.

Here's a story on CB Prospect Isaiah Oliver and his Combine.

https://www.ralphiereport.com/2018/3/6/17087340/isaiah-oliver-impresses-nfl-combine

woodbuck27
03-07-2018, 01:17 PM
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa/football/2018/03/05/josh-jackson-nfl-combine-official-40-time-costly-first-round-nfl-draft-prospect/395863002/

Josh Jackson's 'official' 40 time is costly for first-round NFL Draft prospect

Mark Emmert, memmert@gannett.com Published 2:48 p.m. CT March 5, 2018 | Updated 3:13 p.m. CT March 5, 2018

woodbuck27
03-07-2018, 01:43 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/

Lber Roquan Smith is something else. :-) Could the Packers really manage to land this Guy !? He has terrific focus, speed and strength and ability to be a game changer.

Here They have the Packers drafting OLB/ILB Roquan Smith UGA; 6'-1" and 225 lbs at NO.14.

Note: This Mock Draft Expert had 4 QB's drafted in the Top Ten Picks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG5DD3f3veU

NOTE: Here he goes to The Raiders @ NO. 10:

http://walterfootball.com/mocks/Consensus/nfl/2018

run pMc
03-07-2018, 05:28 PM
Josh Jackson is a zone corner, so I'm doubtful he's high on GB's board compared to the other CB's. Plus a 40 on the wrong side of 4.5 should push him down the board.
Something about Ward bothers me, I don't think he's as good as Lattimore.

Could you play Derwin James like they played Charles Woodson? What do they do with Josh Jones and Brice then?

I like Roquan, but I think he has to play ILB or nickel. He's too small for OLB, and I don't think they want to invest a high pick at ILB.

I feel like Vander Esch is a smoke screen, although he did well at the combine. Can he play outside?

You might just talk me into Landry, although I am skeptical...I get an Erik Walden vibe from him. They need to find and develop replacements for CM and Perry, this draft doesn't fill me with much hope.

red
03-07-2018, 06:07 PM
i would love roquan

its been way too long since we've had a real ILB

Maxie the Taxi
03-07-2018, 06:09 PM
I was playing around doing a few mock drafts and twice Saquon Barkley was still available at #14 pick.

Do you take him or pass on arguably the best player in the draft, especially considering the impact Zeke Elliott had on the Cowboys?

I'd probably take him.

red
03-07-2018, 06:10 PM
I was playing around doing a few mock drafts and twice Saquon Barkley was still available at #14 pick.

Do you take him or pass on arguably the best player in the draft, especially considering the impact Zeke Elliott had on the Cowboys?

I'd probably take him.

you take the best player in the draft

then pull a hershel walker in a year or 2

red
03-07-2018, 06:31 PM
watch this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC_I-ODggSQ

just saw one mock having us take him, but he might even be there in the second

kinda looks like greg jennings

Maxie the Taxi
03-07-2018, 06:41 PM
watch this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC_I-ODggSQ

just saw one mock having us take him, but he might even be there in the second

kinda looks like greg jenningsI took him in the 2nd round of my mock draft.

Maxie the Taxi
03-07-2018, 06:43 PM
Sequon Barkley in the 1st and Moore in the 2nd. Counter-intuitive for a team that's supposed to draft defense, but kind of intriguing, hey?

woodbuck27
03-08-2018, 02:00 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000919647/article/nfl-combine-day-4-winnerslosers-derwin-james-hybrid-freak

Derwin James, S, Florida State: James could experience a resurgence in draft buzz, given the final copy of measurements and athletic numbers the second-team AP All-American gave scouts at the combine. The versatile defender blazed a 4.47-second 40-yard dash to go along with a 40-inch vertical leap and an 11-foot broad jump. Although evaluators expected him to be one of the athletic freaks at the position, the 6-foot-2, 215-pound hybrid safety exceeded expectations by showing quick feet and smooth movement skills in positional drills. With some teams reportedly considering James as a "big" cornerback, this spectacular showing could elevate him back into top-15 consideration

Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville = Excellent

J. C. Jackson, CB, Maryland

woodbuck27
03-08-2018, 02:24 AM

I'd probably take him.

Comment woodbuck27: The definition of RB Saquan Barkley = Walk off Home Run Victory.

If the Green Bay Packers want to make a real statement in this DRAFT; then going after RB Saquan Barkley? Would that be like Holding Pocket Aces and going 'All In' before the Flop. By the way that's not a bad way to play Pocket Aces in any Poker Session. I say if you've got them use them.

Nope it's better than that ! How often have you seen such a talent!?

I'll supply some 'food for thought', just in case some here arn't on top of the Draft Prospects; or otherwise too busy with LIFE in general.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/5/17080328/saquon-barkley-nfl-combine-results

At the Combine, Saquon Barkley showed he’s both an absurdly fast big guy and an absurdly strong little guy

The Penn State stud had one of football’s best workouts ever.

By Jason Kirk Mar 5, 2018, 9:24 am EST

https://www.thescore.com/news/1496771

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfMF-uBQGAI

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
03-08-2018, 04:14 AM
https://lombardiave.com/2018/03/07/packers-draft-equanimeous-st-brown/

Packers 2018 Draft: WR Equanimeous St. Brown (Notre Dame) a potential Day 2 target

By Kevin Culligan14 hours ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8BNzcGBAF8

Equanimeous St. Brown WR; Notre Dame... 2016-17 Highlights

Who does he resemble?

woodbuck27
03-08-2018, 04:29 AM
https://lombardiave.com/2018/03/07/green-bay-packers-post-combine-mock-draft-roundup/

Comment woodbuck27:

Here's what FANSIDED thinks.

Green Bay Packers post-combine mock draft roundup

By Freddie Boston9 hours agoFollow @FreddieBoston13

" ...Our post-combine mock draft roundup features nothing but defense in the first round for the Green Bay Packers. ..."

GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
03-08-2018, 05:07 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000919714/article/jeremiah-mock-draft-20-broncos-ravens-among-5-to-take-qb

Jeremiah mock draft 2.0: Broncos, Ravens among 5 to take QB (in Round 1)

By Daniel Jeremiah ... NFL Media analyst

Published: March 6, 2018 at 10:30 a.m. Updated: March 6, 2018 at 11:41 a.m. 0 Likes | 0 Comments

The Green Bay Packers PICK @ Pick NO: 14 .... Mike Hughes - CB, UCF

: ..The Packers have a need at cornerback and Hughes is excellent on tape. ..."

CBS Sports has Mike Hughes as the 9th Ranked CB in this 2018 NFL Draft.

65 Mike Hughes UCF Jr CB 9 5-11 185

Comment woodbuck27:

A surprising Mock Draft Pick from this respected Draft Analyst from NFL.Com

CB Mike Hughes isn't tall (nor big on size) but he's an exciting Football Player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9oJybcJ9Z0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD6Z3_6GQks

Most Underrated CB in College Football || UCF CB Mike Hughes Highlights ᴴᴰ

woodbuck27
03-08-2018, 05:47 AM
Analyzing this from just one perspective the Packers may get one of these Guy's; so (who do you really like, if any in this group?):

12 Ogbonnia Okoronkwo Oklahoma Sr DE 2nd Ranked (Typ.) 6-1 242

13 Vita Vea Washington Jr DT 2R 6-5 344

15 James Washington Oklahoma St. Sr WR 2R 6-0 205 (** He should be there but better to go WR in Round 2 and we have so much need on 'D')

17 Josh Jackson Iowa Jr CB 1R 6-1 192 (NOTE: This fell didn't show up as a Burner at the Combine.)

18 Connor Williams Texas Jr OT 2R 6-6 320 (**)

20 Taven Bryan Florida Jr DT 3R = 3rd Ranked by CBS Sports (Typ.) 6-5 293

21 Kolton Miller UCLA Jr OT 3R 6-8 310 (**)

22 Denzel Ward Ohio St. Jr CB 2R ( 5-10 Note: How Tall is your ideal CB? ) 191

23 Da'Ron Payne Alabama Jr DT 4R 6-2 308

25 Marcus Davenport UTSA Sr DE 3R 6-7 255

26 Isaiah Oliver Colorado Jr CB 3R 6-1 190

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-08-2018, 06:32 AM
Analyzing this from just one perspective the Packers may get one of these Guy's; so (who do you really like, if any in this group?):

12 Ogbonnia Okoronkwo Oklahoma Sr DE 2nd Ranked (Typ.) 6-1 242

13 Vita Vea Washington Jr DT 2R 6-5 344

15 James Washington Oklahoma St. Sr WR 2R 6-0 205 (** He should be there but better to go WR in Round 2 and we have so much need on 'D')

17 Josh Jackson Iowa Jr CB 1R 6-1 192 (NOTE: This fell didn't show up as a Burner at the Combine.)

18 Connor Williams Texas Jr OT 2R 6-6 320 (**)

20 Taven Bryan Florida Jr DT 3R = 3rd Ranked by CBS Sports (Typ.) 6-5 293

21 Kolton Miller UCLA Jr OT 3R 6-8 310 (**)

22 Denzel Ward Ohio St. Jr CB 2R ( 5-10 Note: How Tall is your ideal CB? ) 191

23 Da'Ron Payne Alabama Jr DT 4R 6-2 308

25 Marcus Davenport UTSA Sr DE 3R 6-7 255

26 Isaiah Oliver Colorado Jr CB 3R 6-1 190

Woody, my god man, take a break, take a walk, help me immigrate to Canada, anything.

woodbuck27
03-12-2018, 02:18 PM
Woody, my god man, take a break, take a walk, help me immigrate to Canada, anything.

" I am not sure. " oldbutnotdeadyet

Excuse me !? How much life (energy - good health) do you have in you?

For your information:

https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/1012/u.s.-or-canada-which-country-is-best-to-call-home.aspx

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/99-reasons-why-its-better-to-be-canadian/

99 reasons why it’s better to be Canadian

Translation:

If your aging get your act to Canada. :idea:

woodbuck27
03-12-2018, 03:05 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-browns-draft-saquon-barkley-no-1-and-heres-the-domino-effect/

2018 NFL Mock Draft: Browns draft Saquon Barkley No. 1 and here's the domino effect

14. Green Bay Packers

Harold Landry, EDGE, Boston College:

Landry says he's comfortable rushing with his hand down or standing up and doesn't care where he plays, and that versatility could play well into new DC Mike Pettine's defense.

Well, based on this!:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2763483-2018-nfl-draft-big-board-matt-millers-post-combine-rankings?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

17. EDGE Harold Landry, Boston College

Also:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-ranking-the-edge-defender-prospects-for-the-2018-nfl-draft

Ranking the edge defender prospects for the 2018 NFL Draft

BY MICHAEL RENNER • MAR 1, 2018

1. HAROLD LANDRY, BOSTON COLLEGE

" If Landry came out a season ago, he may very well have been a top-10 pick. His high end as a pass-rusher is as dominant as anyone we’ve graded at the college level not named Bosa or Garrett. We can forgive an injury-riddled 2017 when athleticism is such a big part of Landry’s game. "

woodbuck27
03-12-2018, 04:17 PM
https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Defensive-Ends-2018-Draft.asp

2018 DRAFTTEK BIG BOARD - Ranked by Position

2018 Edge Rushers

Most Recent Revision: 3/12/2018

woodbuck27
03-12-2018, 04:18 PM
https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-ILBs-2018-Draft.asp

Inside Linebackers

woodbuck27
03-12-2018, 04:20 PM
https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-43-Outside-LBs-2018-Draft.asp

DRAFTTEK BIG BOARD - Ranked by Position

2018 Outside Linebackers

woodbuck27
03-12-2018, 04:21 PM
https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Safeties-2018-Draft.asp

2018 Safeties

woodbuck27
03-12-2018, 04:23 PM
https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Cornerbacks-2018-Draft.asp

2018 Cornerbacks

woodbuck27
03-12-2018, 04:25 PM
https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-RBs-2018-Draft.asp

018 DRAFTTEK BIG BOARD - Ranked by Position

2018 NFL Draft Top Running Backs

woodbuck27
03-12-2018, 04:26 PM
https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Change-Of-Pace-RBs-2018-Draft.asp

2018 Change-Of-Pace RBs

woodbuck27
03-12-2018, 04:28 PM
https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-WRs-2018-Draft.asp

2018 Wide Receivers (Feature)

woodbuck27
03-12-2018, 04:29 PM
https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Slot-WRs-2018-Draft.asp

2018 Wide Receivers (Special Purpose)

woodbuck27
03-12-2018, 04:31 PM
https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Tight-Ends-2018-Draft.asp

2018 Tight Ends

woodbuck27
03-12-2018, 04:32 PM
https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Offensive-Tackles-2018-Draft.asp

2018 Offensive Tackles

woodbuck27
03-12-2018, 04:33 PM
https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Offensive-Guards-2018-Draft.asp

2018 NFL Draft Top Offensive Guards

woodbuck27
03-12-2018, 04:36 PM
https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Centers-2018-Draft.asp

2018 Offensive Centers

woodbuck27
03-12-2018, 04:40 PM
https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Nose-Tackles-2018-Draft.asp

2018 DL Nose Tackles (1-Technique)

woodbuck27
03-12-2018, 04:41 PM
https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Defensive-Tackles-2018-Draft.asp

2018 Defensive Tackle 3-Technique

woodbuck27
03-12-2018, 04:43 PM
https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Defensive-Tackles5-2018-Draft.asp

2018 Defensive Tackle 5-Technique

3-4 Defensive End; 4-3 Run Support Defensive End

woodbuck27
03-12-2018, 04:47 PM
https://www.drafttek.com/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2018.asp

DRAFTTEK BIG BOARD:

2018 NFL Draft Big Board ... Players Ranked Regardless of Position

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 03:41 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/browns-hyde-deal-giants-saquon-barkley-article-1.3873767

What Browns’ deal with RB Carlos Hyde could mean for Giants, Saquon Barkley in NFL draft

BY JOHN HEALY

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Updated: Wednesday, March 14, 2018, 11:38 AM

Comment woodbuck27:

It was just announced that the NY Giants signed former Panthers RB Johathan Stewart. Could Saquon Barkley actually slip down the Draft Board from the NO. 1 and 2 Picks?

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 03:52 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000921158/article/baker-mayfield-helps-himself-at-pro-day-with-broncos-looking-on

QB Prospect Baker Mayfield helps himself at pro day with Broncos looking on

By Chase Goodbread ... College Football 24/7 writer

Published: March 14, 2018 at 03:45 p.m. Updated: March 14, 2018 at 04:36 p.m.

woodbuck27
03-15-2018, 12:46 AM
Will what might be perceived as a weakening of the WR Position necessitate this Mock Draft result:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000920140/article/zierlein-mock-draft-20-browns-pick-barkley-first-trade-up-for-qb

PICK 14 ... Calvin Ridley - WR, Alabama

``New GM Brian Gutekunst could see Ridley as an immediate-impact player who would fit right in with Aaron Rodgers and contribute at a high level. ``

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0QeNn8jcXk

Anti-Polar Bear
03-15-2018, 08:00 AM
Will what might be perceived as a weakening of the WR Position necessitate this Mock Draft result:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000920140/article/zierlein-mock-draft-20-browns-pick-barkley-first-trade-up-for-qb

PICK 14 ... Calvin Ridley - WR, Alabama

``New GM Brian Gutekunst could see Ridley as an immediate-impact player who would fit right in with Aaron Rodgers and contribute at a high level. ``

I more "films" of Ridley I watch on the Youtube, the more I pray to the god Nike for Ridley to fall to the Packers. Ran 4.4 40 at the combine.

Joemailman
03-15-2018, 08:35 AM
I more "films" of Ridley I watch on the Youtube, the more I pray to the god Nike for Ridley to fall to the Packers. Ran 4.4 40 at the combine.

I've been thinking up to now that the Bears would take him. But with the Bears signing Robinson, that might increase the chances that Ridley will be available when the Packers pick. 3 of the 4 mocks at http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/mock-drafts?icampaign=draft-sub_nav_bar-drafteventpage-mockdraft have Ridley available when the Packers pick.

woodbuck27
03-15-2018, 09:41 AM
I've been thinking up to now that the Bears would take him. But with the Bears signing Robinson, that might increase the chances that Ridley will be available when the Packers pick. 3 of the 4 mocks at http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/mock-drafts?icampaign=draft-sub_nav_bar-drafteventpage-mockdraft have Ridley available when the Packers pick.

They need to somehow maintain their status at Safety and sign a quality CB in Free Agency and then it's a 'No Brainer' and their pick as the BEST WR in this Draft.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-15-2018, 10:10 AM

Ridley looks like a faster Greg Jennings to me. Jennings was an excellent route runner with YAC kung fu. Also had good football speed, and often got behind defenders.

I'm starting to dig this guy.

mraynrand
03-15-2018, 10:13 AM
I didn't see enough of Ridley to know if he can run routes like Jennings. But I like his ability to adjust to the ball and catch with his hands. I'm guessing he won't be available. Plus, the Packers refuse to surround Rodgers with the players he needs to win a championship. We all know this.

Maxie the Taxi
03-15-2018, 10:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nhwT5pxCKk

mraynrand
03-15-2018, 10:39 AM
Moore reminds me of Sterling. He's projected late R1. Maybe the Packers can get a two-fer. Draft at their normal spot and then trade up into the mid-late first.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-15-2018, 10:40 AM
TODD refused to surround Rodgers with the players he needs to win more than a fluke championship.

Fixed for you, although I'd argue that that refusal was simply an excuse Thompson used to shed light away from his incompetence. Thank Zeus, the German Shepherd is the antithesis of the Polar Bear, apparently.

Watch the films. There's this thing called Youtube, and it contains alotta awesome Coldplay music vids as well as other stuffs. After watching the films, my brain tells me that Ridley runs routes like Jennings.

mraynrand
03-15-2018, 10:43 AM
Watch the films.

I generally try not to. It results in this nauseating and repeated trend of finding players I like whom the Packers never pick or can't pick. Usually the Steelers get em.

woodbuck27
03-15-2018, 10:45 AM
Fixed for you, although I'd argue that that refusal was simply an excuse Thompson used to shed light away from his incompetence. Thank Zeus, the German Shepherd is the antithesis of the Polar Bear, apparently.

Watch the films. There's this thing called Youtube, and it contains alotta awesome Coldplay music vids as well as other stuffs. After watching the films, my brain tells me that Ridley runs route like Jennings.

Originally Posted by mraynrand
** TODD refused to surround Rodgers with the players he needs to win more than a fluke championship.**

Watch the films. There's this thing called Youtube, and it contains alotta awesome Coldplay music vids as well as other stuffs. After watching the films, my brain tells me that Ridley runs route like Jennings. Anti-Polar Bear

Comment woodbuck27:

** See TOP ** ... How can anyone with any self respect ever respond to the stupidity of sarcasm?

Zool
03-15-2018, 10:46 AM
Watched a few Ridley game films. I'm no expert, but he does look a bit Jennings-like. Great hands, good routes, sorta willing blocker, can't break a tackle to save his life. Looks fast against college competition.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-15-2018, 10:47 AM
I generally try not to. It results in this nauseating and repeated trend of finding players I like whom the Packers never pick or can't pick. Usually the Steelers get em.

Then watch Coldplay vids instead. Coldplay is awesome. :smk:

mraynrand
03-15-2018, 10:48 AM
How can anyone ever respond to the stupidity of sarcasm?

Apparently your technique is to post poorly cut and pasted misquotes, in bizarre colors and in unintelligible language.

mraynrand
03-15-2018, 10:49 AM
Then watch Coldplay vids instead. Coldplay is awesome. :smk:

I just read the language stylings of "The Lyricist"

woodbuck27
03-15-2018, 10:55 AM
Watched a few Ridley game films. I'm no expert, but he does look a bit Jennings-like. Great hands, good routes, sorta willing blocker, can't break a tackle to save his life. Looks fast against college competition.

"Looks fast against college competition." Zool

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/calvin-ridley?id=2560011

A 4.41 Sec. 40 Yard time as a Draft Prospect translates to Speed at WR in the NFL.

run pMc
03-15-2018, 11:24 AM
I've read some places that some don't think Landry is worthy of an R1. Not sure about that. This time of the year everything is a lie, everyone could sneak into the first round, and team X is smitten with player Y.

That said, I am not a big fan of Vander Esch at 14. I'm coming around on Landry as an OLB/edge guy...he certainly looks like an upgrade from Fackrell. It would not shock me if they waited until R2 or later and loaded up on a couple of edge guys "with upside" and took a CB or WR in the R1. I will be shocked if they don't draft 2-3 players in the secondary. The Jackson kid from Iowa is supposedly more a zone guy so between that and his 40 speed I wonder if he's a bad scheme fit.

As for Quenton Nelson, if you knew without a doubt he was the 2nd coming of Steve Hutchinson you take him at 14 and don't worry about that spot for a decade. Yeah he's a guard but you could do worse than him lined up between Bulaga and Linsley with Jamaal Williams running that side in December at Lambeau.

woodbuck27
03-15-2018, 11:41 AM
I've read some places that some don't think Landry is worthy of an R1. Not sure about that. This time of the year everything is a lie, everyone could sneak into the first round, and team X is smitten with player Y.

That said, I am not a big fan of Vander Esch at 14. I'm coming around on Landry as an OLB/edge guy...he certainly looks like an upgrade from Fackrell. It would not shock me if they waited until R2 or later and loaded up on a couple of edge guys "with upside" and took a CB or WR in the R1. I will be shocked if they don't draft 2-3 players in the secondary. The Jackson kid from Iowa is supposedly more a zone guy so between that and his 40 speed I wonder if he's a bad scheme fit.

As for Quenton Nelson, if you knew without a doubt he was the 2nd coming of Steve Hutchinson you take him at 14 and don't worry about that spot for a decade. Yeah he's a guard but you could do worse than him lined up between Bulaga and Linsley with Jamaal Williams running that side in December at Lambeau.

An interesting take on what might not be the Rah Rah pick and Quenton Nelson:

Repped.

Zool
03-15-2018, 12:14 PM
"Looks fast against college competition." Zool

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/calvin-ridley?id=2560011

A 4.41 Sec. 40 Yard time as a Draft Prospect translates to Speed at WR in the NFL.

I disagree. Remember Darius Heyward-Bey? He ran a 4.3 40 yard and looked bad against NFL coverage. I don't particularly care about straight line speed. If you can't change direction, you're dead in the water (Jeff Janis). How fast he moves in space says a lot. A couple profiles of Ridley say he has a hard time shedding bump coverage. Also very Jennings-like.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-15-2018, 02:06 PM
I disagree. Remember Darius Heyward-Bey? He ran a 4.3 40 yard and looked bad against NFL coverage. I don't particularly care about straight line speed. If you can't change direction, you're dead in the water (Jeff Janis). How fast he moves in space says a lot. A couple profiles of Ridley say he has a hard time shedding bump coverage. Also very Jennings-like.

Jennings was pretty good in the green and gold. A faster Jennings would be even better, methinks.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-15-2018, 02:07 PM
I just read the language stylings of "The Lyricist"

Lol

woodbuck27
03-15-2018, 02:17 PM

Your point is well taken based on his slightness of size but generally he's the NO. 1 Ranked WR in this Draft Class.

https://www.drafttek.com/

Featured WR Calvin Ridley is Ranked 16th Overall.

Compare that to:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/

Back to DRAFTTEK:

https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-WRs-2018-Draft.asp

** Ridley is a fast receiver adept at creating separation. With his quick feet and sudden athleticism, Ridley is a very good route-runner.

** He is tough on defensive backs as he can put his foot in the ground and explode out of cuts. That explosion translates to Ridley also having a second gear to break downfield and is dangerous with the ball in his hands.

** Ridley is a fast route-runner on short to intermediate routes. A nice third-down weapon as a pro to quickly uncover and present an open target for his quarterback.

**With his speed to run by defensive backs, Ridley stretches a defense over the top and is a true deep-threat receiver.

** He has the ability to take a slant to the house or run a go route and fly by defensive backs.

For the NFL, Ridley could fit well as a X -split end - receiver who works along the sideline and challenges teams vertically.

Downside:

Given his smaller frame, his pro team may want to protect him from doing too much work in the middle of the field and sending him across the play. He's listed at 190 pounds, but team sources say that he has weighed-in in the 180s. With that being one factor, some scouts have said they are grading Ridley as a late first-rounder.

He could end up going high out of team need at his premium position, however. ie the Green Bay Packers

Read more here:
http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018CRidley.php#ixzz59qXuHMnF

also:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000822506/article/first-look-scouting-alabama-wr-calvin-ridley

run pMc
03-15-2018, 03:01 PM
I think Ridley has the potential to be a quality WR in the Jennings mold. I think he'll struggle to reliably beat press coverage, and I wouldn't play him in the slot much either. Put him on the outside and use motion, bunch formations, etc. to help him get a free release and he could be dangerous. I wouldn't hate the pick at 14, but I am skeptical this will happen -- signs are pointing to drafting a CB there IMO. If they take a WR in R1 it will be because they traded to get a 2nd pick at the bottom of the round. People seem to like the Moore kid from Maryland...

mraynrand
03-15-2018, 03:12 PM
If they take a WR in R1 it will be because they traded to get a 2nd pick at the bottom of the round. People seem to like the Moore kid from Maryland...

It's weird how crazy ideas like this get propagated...

pbmax
03-15-2018, 03:38 PM

Jennings was pretty good in the green and gold. A faster Jennings would be even better, methinks.

Zool meant un-Jennings like I believe. Jennings was pretty good at shaking man coverage.

Zool
03-15-2018, 04:57 PM
Zool meant un-Jennings like I believe. Jennings was pretty good at shaking man coverage.

Why I try not not post from a tablet. It comes out dumber than I normally am.

Now that I think about it, wasn’t that a knock on GJ coming out?

Joemailman
03-15-2018, 07:56 PM
For the Packers to take Ridley 14th, he'd have to be better than Jennings. He's need to be Marvin Harrison.

pbmax
03-15-2018, 11:26 PM
Why I try not not post from a tablet. It comes out dumber than I normally am.

Now that I think about it, wasn’t that a knock on GJ coming out?

Possibly. I don't remember. Also frequently a complaint about college WR is their release against press man coverage.

But as a pro, if not a young player or college guy, his routes were so good and his breaks so quick he separated like no one's business.

So its possible Ridley is like young Jennings, and it would be great if he would improve like Jennings.

woodbuck27
03-16-2018, 04:02 AM
Were in a position now of such need and a real addition on 'D'.

The Packers will in all sense pick 'D' at NO. 14.

Our situation at CB is really bad.

woodbuck27
03-17-2018, 11:40 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/374550/blockbuster-jets-trade-up-for-the-no-3-pick?ls=roto:NYJ:topheadlines

" ...Jets acquired the No. 3 pick in the 2018 Draft from the Colts in exchange for the No. 6 pick, the No. 37 pick, the No. 49 pick and a second-round pick in 2019. ..."

red
03-17-2018, 07:44 PM
one thing that no one is really talking about as far as WR's are concerned is monty

i gotta imagine he's moving back to full time WR this season

gotta thank TT and fat mike for retarding his growth at WR. before the move to RB, monty looked like he could take over the cobb role in the offense

red
03-17-2018, 07:46 PM
If they take a WR in R1 it will be because they traded to get a 2nd pick at the bottom of the round. People seem to like the Moore kid from Maryland...

when a lot of people start to really like a guy, that means he's gonna get drafted higher. i've seen a few drafts that have him going around our pick at #14

HarveyWallbangers
03-18-2018, 02:28 AM
Moore and Chark tested better than they played. I'm not sure either put enough on film to move into round 1, but I guess it only takes one team enamored with the measurables. I'd be shocked if Moore went anywhere near pick #14 personally. I think two underrated WRs are Michael Gallup and Tre'Quan Smith. Gallup in round 2-3. Smith in round 3-4. Those two are football players. Smith reminds me a bit of Davante Adams. Pretty comparable measurables too.

Adams = 6'1" 212, 4.56 40, 4.30 shuttle, 6.83 3 cone, 39 1/2" vertical, 123" broad jump
Smith = 6'2" 210, 4.49 40, 4.50 shuttle, 6.97 3 cone, 37 1/2" vertical, 130" broad jump
Gallup = 6'1" 205, 4.51 40, 4.37 shuttle, 6.95 3 cone, 36" vertical, 122" broad jump

I think both Smith and Gallup are a little underrated athletically.

woodbuck27
03-19-2018, 11:06 AM
one thing that no one is really talking about as far as WR's are concerned is monty

i gotta imagine he's moving back to full time WR this season

gotta thank TT and fat mike for retarding his growth at WR. before the move to RB, monty looked like he could take over the cobb role in the offense

Yup TT and MM sure place a real screwing on the Packers.

Too many won't admit that fact.

mraynrand
03-19-2018, 12:08 PM

Yeah, it's not like the season-ending injuries had any effect. Still, in his full rb year, he had 56 targets in the passing game to 77 rushes. He had almost 6 yards/rush compared to around 8 yards/catch and 800 total yards from scrimmage. I suppose he missed out of some refinement in back shoulder throws or something, but I imagine he can catch up, given his ability to transition to a role coming out of the backfield so readily. I'm more concerned about his overall productivity. It seems like a guy with his combination of size and speed makes for more of a utility type receiver out of the backfield than say a deep downfield threat.

Fritz
03-19-2018, 12:30 PM
Moore and Chark tested better than they played. I'm not sure either put enough on film to move into round 1, but I guess it only takes one team enamored with the measurables. I'd be shocked if Moore went anywhere near pick #14 personally. I think two underrated WRs are Michael Gallup and Tre'Quan Smith. Gallup in round 2-3. Smith in round 3-4. Those two are football players. Smith reminds me a bit of Davante Adams. Pretty comparable measurables too.

Adams = 6'1" 212, 4.56 40, 4.30 shuttle, 6.83 3 cone, 39 1/2" vertical, 123" broad jump
Smith = 6'2" 210, 4.49 40, 4.50 shuttle, 6.97 3 cone, 37 1/2" vertical, 130" broad jump
Gallup = 6'1" 205, 4.51 40, 4.37 shuttle, 6.95 3 cone, 36" vertical, 122" broad jump

I think both Smith and Gallup are a little underrated athletically.

Well, don't you just draft someone for defense in the first round, or draft that awesome guard, and in the second round tell TT to pick a wide receiver for you? That seems to be his golden zone.

woodbuck27
03-19-2018, 11:12 PM
Get a load of this MOCK Draft:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-mock-draft-2018-browns-trade-pick-to-cardinals-jets-big-move-lands-josh-rosen/

NFL Mock Draft 2018: Browns trade pick to Cardinals; Jets' big move lands Josh Rosen

After Gang Green's aggressive trade up with the Colts, the quarterbacks fly off the board early

Chris Trapasso mugshot By Chris Trapasso @ChrisTrapasso .....CBSSports.com 5h ago

14. Green Bay Packers

Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame. With McGlinchey at right tackle and the vastly underrated David Bakhtiari on the left side, the Packers will boast two quality pass-protectors for Aaron Rodgers.

wist43
03-20-2018, 08:07 AM

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-mock-draft-2018-browns-trade-pick-to-cardinals-jets-big-move-lands-josh-rosen/

NFL Mock Draft 2018: Browns trade pick to Cardinals; Jets' big move lands Josh Rosen

After Gang Green's aggressive trade up with the Colts, the quarterbacks fly off the board early

Chris Trapasso mugshot By Chris Trapasso @ChrisTrapasso .....CBSSports.com 5h ago

14. Green Bay Packers

Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame. With McGlinchey at right tackle and the vastly underrated David Bakhtiari on the left side, the Packers will boast two quality pass-protectors for Aaron Rodgers.

All 3 of the mocks on that site have us taking guys I don't want... I like Hernandez, but he's not the kind of guy MM would take; and, I don't want him in the 1st.

Beginning to like Denzel Ward more and more...

Zool
03-20-2018, 08:19 AM
All 3 of the mocks on that site have us taking guys I don't want... I like Hernandez, but he's not the kind of guy MM would take; and, I don't want him in the 1st.

Beginning to like Denzel Ward more and more...

Tons of mocks are having Ward go in the top 8. Wouldn't mind if they traded up to get him.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-20-2018, 09:54 AM

14. Green Bay Packers

If Gute drafts a fat guy in round 1, I'm gonna puke.

Color me with those who subscribe to the notion that fat guys should be avoided like the plague in round 1. An offensive lineman by himself is not a difference maker. Even with a great LT, defenses can still pressure the QB simply by pressuring away from the LT. Fat defensive linemen are prone to eating themselves out of the league.

SavedByGrace
03-20-2018, 10:29 AM
Good. Lord. Since we are not really doing much of anything in free agency, there is so much work that needs to be done in the draft. We also need some of our players to actually step up and produce (see Josh Jones). If not, our defense could be the new definition for "epic bad." Definitely would make sense to me to trade up to make sure we get that impact player or players we need (see Ward or James)

pbmax
03-20-2018, 10:36 AM
If Gute drafts a fat guy in round 1, I'm gonna puke.

Color me with those who subscribe to the notion that fat guys should be avoided like the plague in round 1. An offensive lineman by himself is not a difference maker. Even with a great LT, defenses can still pressure the QB simply by pressuring away from the LT. Fat defensive linemen are prone to eating themselves out of the league.

Both the Eagles and the Jags went deep by going early and often on the big guys up front. Don't you want to follow the leader?

Of course, the Chiefs and Reid do too, but it never gets them out of the Division round.

pbmax
03-20-2018, 10:44 AM
Good. Lord. Since we are not really doing much of anything in free agency, there is so much work that needs to be done in the draft. We also need some of our players to actually step up and produce (see Josh Jones). If not, our defense could be the new definition for "epic bad." Definitely would make sense to me to trade up to make sure we get that impact player or players we need (see Ward or James)

Patience, still two guys left people are salivating over:

Aaron Wilson @AaronWilson_NFL
Former Rice cornerback Phillip Gaines visited the Colts

He will be your favorite if you like players coming back from knee injuries.

And of course, once his heel heals and the infection is gone, Breeland is still out there.

pbmax
03-20-2018, 10:49 AM
In other infectious news, Bob Uecker was bitten by a Recluse Spider in Arizona last winter. Wound got infected and they had to remove infected tissue and leave the wound open to draw out the rest. Think it was on his leg.

Prior to fast medical response with effective antibiotics (Ueck waited four days before seeing the Doc), this was a common way to deal with infection in skin tissues. If you've ever seen someone treated in this manner, its both slightly morbid and fascinating.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2018/03/19/sickness-and-health-bob-uecker-remains-married-job-brewers-iconic-broadcaster/433845002/

Anti-Polar Bear
03-20-2018, 11:01 AM
Both the Eagles and the Jags went deep by going early and often on the big guys up front. Don't you want to follow the leader?

Of course, the Chiefs and Reid do too, but it never gets them out of the Division round.

Check out the fat guys Todd drafted in round 1:

Harrell: Arguably the worst draft pick in Packer history.

Raji: Inspiring for season or two, but a JAG the majority of the time before quitting.

Sherrod: Injury-prone and incompetent.

Bulaga: Injury-prone.

Clark: Started to show some promises, but jury's still out on him.

The moral of Todd's story is, don't draft fat guys in round 1. If a good fat guy is there in rd 2 or later, fine. But in round 1, give me a finesse player.

pbmax
03-20-2018, 11:18 AM
Jury isn't out on Clark. He was great last year and very effective as a rookie.

Love that the only comment on Bulaga is injury prone and not Pro Bowl level RT. :roll:

And Harrell has nothing on Rich Campbell.

mraynrand
03-20-2018, 11:21 AM

QFT

Anti-Polar Bear
03-20-2018, 11:26 AM
Jury isn't out on Clark. He was great last year and very effective as a rookie.

Love that the only comment on Bulaga is injury prone and not Pro Bowl level RT. :roll:

Clark was invisible as a rook. Let see if he can prove that last season wasn't a fluke before anointing him the next Gerald McCoy.

pbmax
03-20-2018, 11:58 AM
Clark was invisible as a rook. Let see if he can prove that last season wasn't a fluke before anointing him the next Gerald McCoy.

Not even close to invisible unless you weren't looking. And are the only standards in your big lineman metric injured and #3 overall pick?

Zool
03-20-2018, 12:02 PM

You're dumb, and Tony Mandarich was the worst pick in team history. There were many worse than Harrell.

pbmax
03-20-2018, 12:07 PM
Well is it Campbell or Mandarich, someone start a poll!

Anti-Polar Bear
03-20-2018, 12:14 PM
You're dumb, and Tony Mandarich was the worst pick in team history. There were many worse than Harrell.

I did include the word "arguably." Mandarich was a bust, but he wasn't fat, at least not at the time when the Packers took him over the likes of Neon Deion and Barry Sanders.

wist43
03-20-2018, 12:22 PM
Well is it Campbell or Mandarich, someone start a poll!

I'd have to go with Mandarich, simply b/c of who we passed over to take him. The next 3 players were all Hall of Famers.

Barry Sanders
Derrick Thomas
Deion Sanders

I wanted Thomas out of that group - would have been okay with Barry. Didn't want Deion b/c of the punk factor.

Zool
03-20-2018, 12:24 PM
I did include the word "arguably." Mandarich was a bust, but he wasn't fat, at least not at the time when the Packers took him over the likes of Neon Deion and Barry Sanders.

And Derek Thomas and a ton of All Pro players.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-20-2018, 12:25 PM
Not even close to invisible unless you weren't looking. And are the only standards in your big lineman metric injured and #3 overall pick?

Clark didn't do shit til maybe the last couple of games. 13 tackles and 0 sacks in 16 games reek invisibility.

hoosier
03-20-2018, 12:38 PM
Well, don't you just draft someone for defense in the first round, or draft that awesome guard, and in the second round tell TT to pick a wide receiver for you? That seems to be his golden zone.

It WAS his golden zone. Until Montgomery and Davis.

Smidgeon
03-20-2018, 01:13 PM
It WAS his golden zone. Until Montgomery and Davis.

Davis wasn't R2. And wasn't Monty R3?

Zool
03-20-2018, 02:24 PM

Monty was R3, Davis was R5.

SavedByGrace
03-20-2018, 02:29 PM
Patience, still two guys left people are salivating over:

Aaron Wilson @AaronWilson_NFL
Former Rice cornerback Phillip Gaines visited the Colts

He will be your favorite if you like players coming back from knee injuries.

And of course, once his heel heals and the infection is gone, Breeland is still out there.

Sorry...thanks! I needed someone to pull me back from the ledge

run pMc
03-21-2018, 10:43 AM
I could see them sign House and draft 3 CBs -- like they did with RBs last year -- and putting the best of them out there by week 4. Assuming Pettine can manufacture a pass rush and House can stay healthy, he's an ok stopgap. A lot hinges on Kevin King being passable as well.

Zool
03-21-2018, 11:11 AM
A lot hinges on Kevin King being passable as well.

Or not passable?

Deputy Nutz
03-21-2018, 01:46 PM
Clark didn't do shit til maybe the last couple of games. 13 tackles and 0 sacks in 16 games reek invisibility.

Clark controlled the line of scrimmage much of the season. He held his gap. In 3-4 your nose needs to control the line, and make things bounce outside of the a gaps. He was very effective at what he does. For fools like you it is too bad the NFL doesn't keep stats on disruptions of running plays.

pbmax
03-21-2018, 01:50 PM
Clark controlled the line of scrimmage much of the season. He held his gap. In 3-4 your nose needs to control the line, and make things bounce outside of the a gaps. He was very effective at what he does. For fools like you it is too bad the NFL doesn't keep stats on disruptions of running plays.

The "look elsewhere" run stopper.

Clark is also good at disengaging and chasing. As a young guy he is not just standing in the middle of the field waiting for the next huddle.

wist43
03-21-2018, 05:34 PM
The "look elsewhere" run stopper.

Clark is also good at disengaging and chasing. As a young guy he is not just standing in the middle of the field waiting for the next huddle.

Good gravy max, lol...

He showed some improvement in the area of getting off blocks... so does that improvement now mean he's average in that area?? Because he sucked God-awful at getting off blocks in college and his first 1-3/4 seasons with the Packers.

pbmax
03-21-2018, 06:01 PM
Good gravy max, lol...

He showed some improvement in the area of getting off blocks... so does that improvement now mean he's average in that area?? Because he sucked God-awful at getting off blocks in college and his first 1-3/4 seasons with the Packers.

I think we are talking about two different skills. I am talking about identifying the runner and giving chase down the line. Clark can still get hung up on blocks and is not fantastic as a pass rusher, though he did get better with his bull rush. But he can defend a gap, win a one on one and not get rolled by double teams.

Not bad for the late 1st round. I don't know if he's All Pro, but he will do nicely.

wist43
03-21-2018, 06:14 PM
I think we are talking about two different skills. I am talking about identifying the runner and giving chase down the line. Clark can still get hung up on blocks and is not fantastic as a pass rusher, though he did get better with his bull rush. But he can defend a gap, win a one on one and not get rolled by double teams.

Not bad for the late 1st round. I don't know if he's All Pro, but he will do nicely.

He got better late in the year, but up until then he never got off blocks. RBs were constantly running right past him as he was dancing around with the blocker.

To tell you the truth, I thought he looked so bad that there was no hope for him; but, as he seemed to begin to get things figured out late in the year - I at least see some upside there finally. Up until late last season, he had been consistently bad since being drafted.

Teamcheez1
03-21-2018, 06:39 PM
He got better late in the year, but up until then he never got off blocks. RBs were constantly running right past him as he was dancing around with the blocker.

To tell you the truth, I thought he looked so bad that there was no hope for him; but, as he seemed to begin to get things figured out late in the year - I at least see some upside there finally. Up until late last season, he had been consistently bad since being drafted.

Only 13 interior defensive linemen finished with a higher PFF grade than Clark in 2017. I think he had things "figured out" prior to late in the year.

pbmax
03-21-2018, 06:46 PM

Clark had several good games early in the season. A good run stopper doesn't always get the tackle credited. I don't know what you were watching.

His pass rush showed up later in the year, as it developed, he saw more time in the nickel pass rush DT position. But that doesn't have much to do with his overall level of play or getting off blocks.

hoosier
03-21-2018, 07:56 PM

Right. I was referring to TT's success in drafting second and third day receivers. Should have been more specific tho.

wist43
03-21-2018, 11:09 PM
Clark had several good games early in the season. A good run stopper doesn't always get the tackle credited. I don't know what you were watching.

His pass rush showed up later in the year, as it developed, he saw more time in the nickel pass rush DT position. But that doesn't have much to do with his overall level of play or getting off blocks.

I'm the first to argue that dunderdummy was the biggest problem with the defense, but that doesn't mean that there weren't, and aren't deficient players on that side of the ball.

Capers 2-4, which is nowhere near akin to a 4-2 as you like to claim, was a mess. If Clark can pick up where he left off, he'll be a serviceable rotation guy. Getting rid of Randall will help a lot, and I suspect Ryan will be on the field a lot less. Hopefully some better coaching will help Martinez improve...

Overall, I'm encouraged that the defense will be much improved.

wist43
03-21-2018, 11:12 PM
A guy I like a lot as a player, but has a 10 cent head and character issues is Holton Hill, CB, Texas.

Guy can play, good size... failed multiple drug tests.

call_me_ishmael
03-22-2018, 09:57 AM
If Chubb falls to 6, I kind of would like to see the Packers move up and get him.

Smidgeon
03-22-2018, 10:20 AM
If Chubb falls to 6, I kind of would like to see the Packers move up and get him.

Yeah, but then you'd have to give up a king's ransom to convince the Colts not to take him.

woodbuck27
03-22-2018, 12:45 PM

That's unlikely going to happen.

Watching the GIANTS latest move and ** trading Jason Pierre Paul. The Giants and Bucc's shook up the 2018 NFL Draft on Thursday with a blockbuster trade that features Jason Pierre-Paul being shipped from New York to and with Tampa Bay giving up a third-round pick (No. 69 overall) and the teams swapping fourth-round picks.

Giving their history and the Pass Rush. it seems likely they are targeting Bradley Chubb with the No. 2 overall pick.

Here is that story:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/giants-trade-jason-pierre-paul-to-buccaneers-in-blockbuster-trade-that-shakes-up-draft/

jklowan
03-22-2018, 01:08 PM
playing with the mock draft I think Edmunds in the backer that falls to us, also hope Eric Reid gets sign

14:LB TREMAINE EDMUNDS -VIRGINIA TECH

45:OT BRIAN O'NEILL - PITTSBURGH

76: WR D.J. MOORE - MARYLAND

101:TE MARK ANDREWS - OKLAHOMA

133: CB HOLTON HILL - TEXAS

138: G WYATT TELLER - VIRGINIA TECH

172: LB JACK CICHY - WISCONSIN

174: TE TROY FUMAGALLI - WISCONSIN

186: DL LOWELL LOTULELEI - UTAH

207: CB ISAAC YIADOM - BOSTON COLLEGE

232: LB SHAQUEM GRIFFIN - CENTRAL FLORIDA

239: CB LEVI WALLACE - ALABAMA

woodbuck27
03-22-2018, 01:14 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/21/packers-show-interest-in-pair-of-hawaii-draft-prospects/

Packers show interest in pair of Hawaii draft prospects

" According to Tony Pauline of Draft Analyst, the Packers interviewed offensive lineman Dejon Allen and met with safety Trayvon Henderson.

Both players look like legitimate options for the Packers in the 2018 NFL draft ..."

“Shrine Game participant Dejon Allen tested well and looked good in position drills. He measured 6023/295 pounds, completed 29 reps on the bench and touched 30.5 inches in the vertical jump. His forty time clocked 4.98s while he timed 4.73s in the short shuttle and 7.5s in the 3 cone.”

NFL.com projects Allen as a late-round pick, with his athleticism and “heavy hands” allowing him to transition inside to guard at the next level. He needs to put on weight to play guard

Safety Trayvon Henderson.(6-0, 204) put his name on the map with a terrific week in Mobile at the Senior Bowl.

Draft Wire included Henderson, a three-year starter, as one of the top defensive sleeper prospects in the draft class.

jklowan
03-22-2018, 01:25 PM
undrafted free agents hopefully, the last Hawaiian played didn't fair so well for us

woodbuck27
03-22-2018, 01:26 PM
https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/02/11/2018-nfl-draft-10-defensive-sleeper-prospects-to-know/5/

2018 NFL draft: 10 defensive sleeper prospects to know

woodbuck27
03-22-2018, 01:54 PM
undrafted free agents hopefully, the last Hawaiian played didn't fair so well for us

There have been some good one's from that State drafted by NFCN Teams:

The Bears Center Olin Kreutz who for a six-year stretch in the 2000's, was one of the best on and off the field Centers in the NFL. Brian Urlacher said " he was the real locker room leader ". Olin Kreutz went to six-straight Pro Bowls and was the primary ace for the offensive line that paved the way to Super Bowl XLI.

The Vikings six Time Pro Bowler LBer Matt Blair

13 Season LOYAL 'in your face' Center of the LIONS Dominic Raiola. Thirteen Seasons !

woodbuck27
03-22-2018, 02:03 PM
Little BIG Man:

https://nflmocks.com/2018/03/22/2018-nfl-draft-quadree-hendersons-motivation-great/

2018 NFL Draft: Quadree Henderson’s motivation to be great

By Sayre Bedinger4 hours agoFollow @sayrebedinger

pbmax
03-22-2018, 09:23 PM
Jeff Feyerer @jeff_feyerer

43 1st round QBs since 2000 + 6 2018 prospects

Averaged their final 2 seasons of college starts:

Lower quartile for comp % = 60.4%

Lower quartile AdjYds/Att = 8.6

Only 6 had consecutive yrs in the lower quartile

Losman, Locker, Harrington, Boller, Ramsey & Josh Allen

run pMc
03-23-2018, 08:20 AM
In terms of height/weight/arm strength I get the fuss around Josh Allen, but the kid's not accurate and he didn't play well against teams Iowa, Oregon, Boise State last year. The Mountain West is not exactly the SEC, and I didn't get the sense he lit it up there.
He has bust written all over him. I don't get the appeal and top-10 talk unless you are committed to sit him for a year or (more likely) two.

QBs that aren't accurate in college IMO tend not to be accurate in the pros. If you can't hit a WR getting a free release and running down the field that's a red flag.

Zool
03-23-2018, 08:28 AM
Jeff Feyerer @jeff_feyerer

43 1st round QBs since 2000 + 6 2018 prospects

Averaged their final 2 seasons of college starts:

Lower quartile for comp % = 60.4%

Lower quartile AdjYds/Att = 8.6

Only 6 had consecutive yrs in the lower quartile

Losman, Locker, Harrington, Boller, Ramsey & Josh Allen

Ouch for Allen.

Deputy Nutz
03-23-2018, 10:36 AM
All the QBs in the top part of this draft have issues. Darnold and Rosen are West Coast pretty boys that had average seasons, Allen has the tool box but played at a small school and didn't have great numbers, Lamar Jackson had fantastic numbers, but he is black damn it!!!! Baker Mayfield is short and has an attitude, and probably the best all around QB that no one is talking about is Mason Rudolph from OSU but he might have a shallow arm.

mraynrand
03-23-2018, 01:38 PM
Lamar Jackson had fantastic numbers, but he is black damn it!!!!

I kind of like him the best, but the guys on the NFLN said he was pretty unpolished. He had some inaccuracies and flutters in his workout at the combine. Highest ceiling I think.

I still think there's a good chance the Packers draft a QB, because someone like Jackson drops due to 'issues.' I see some mocks have him dropping all the way to Jacksonville. Most think there's zero chance Packers draft a QB because of too many holes elsewhere - I get that - but you never know who slips in the Green room...

Deputy Nutz
03-23-2018, 01:59 PM
They wont draft one in the first round but 2nd? 3rd? This team is just dumb enough to spend a draft pick in the first two days on a QB. You don't draft a QB unless you need to replace a QB, at this point everyone expects Rodgers to resign. Maybe they are ready to move on from the pretentious asshole?

mraynrand
03-23-2018, 02:04 PM
You don't draft a QB unless you need to replace a QB

That's not how Lord Ron did it.

Deputy Nutz
03-23-2018, 02:38 PM
I was talking starter. I don't think they drafted guys to replace Favre, Its just that Favre almost gave it away there at the beginng. Mark Brunnell was a 4th round pick. I do't disagree with drafting a QB often as a back up or to hold a clipboard but you only draft one to be a starter when you see the window closing on the current starter

HarveyWallbangers
03-23-2018, 03:44 PM
This is how I feel.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000922730/article/sources-tell-us-exec-says-josh-allen-is-2018-nfl-drafts-top-qb

{quote}
The scoop: "Josh Allen is the best quarterback in this draft. I think all of the talk about his accuracy is the most overblown thing out there. His guys don't get open, which causes a lot of the incompletions -- it's not an accuracy issue." -- NFC executive
{quote}

Allen isn't as accurate as Wentz, but his problems were mainly because his WRs were inferior to opposing CBs. Same thing with Wentz at NDSU. NDSU is a school that runs and plays defense, they don't get good WR recruits. Both Allen and Wentz had to make a lot of tight window throws.

Remember two years ago that people were saying that Wentz would need a lot of time to develop because QBs who start 23 games in college (especially at the lower level) are unsuccessful. Wentz started from day one and hasn't looked back.

That being said, he's not flawless. It's a weird group this year. There are a lot of good prospects, but there's no Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck. Darnold certainly isn't.

pbmax
03-23-2018, 07:21 PM
{quote}
The scoop: "Josh Allen is the best quarterback in this draft. I think all of the talk about his accuracy is the most overblown thing out there. His guys don't get open, which causes a lot of the incompletions -- it's not an accuracy issue." -- NFC executive
{quote}

Allen isn't as accurate as Wentz, but his problems were mainly because his WRs were inferior to opposing CBs. Same thing with Wentz at NDSU. NDSU is a school that runs and plays defense, they don't get good WR recruits. Both Allen and Wentz had to make a lot of tight window throws.

Emory Hunt @FBallGameplan
Comparing Josh Allen to Carson Wentz is discrediting ALL of what Wentz accomplished at NDSU. Their situations aren't the same and Wyoming is an FBS program, so not a 'small school'.

Mike Clay @MikeClayNFL
Worst final FBS season off-target rates among top QB prospects last 3 years:
Josh Allen 16.3%
DeShone Kizer 14.5%
Jeff Driskel 14.4%
Connor Cook 13.5%
C Hackenberg 13.4%

Did Allen throw during a Pro Day? Wonder if he looked better on air with receivers he knew.

pbmax
03-23-2018, 07:24 PM
Matthew Fairborn @MatthewFairburn
Mel Kiper Jr. asked about Josh Allen's completion percentage: "Stats are for losers in my opinion. The guy won."

Colin Barringer @CBarringer971
Josh Allen went 15-9 against FBS teams as Wyoming’s starting QB.

@SmokingHotTakes
Noted winner Josh Allen and his team went 3-5 in his starts against FBS teams in non conference play with 11 touchdowns and 12 INTs in his career