PDA

View Full Version : Official 2018 nfl draft thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

red
10-15-2017, 03:06 PM
ok, so the season is over. chances are that we will be drafting in the top half of the draft. my guess would be somewhere between 10-15

i say we need a new RT. bulaga is always hurt, and spriggs looks to be a bust

red
10-15-2017, 03:09 PM
so

Trey Adams, OT, Washington
Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame

they seem to be the two big ones

Bretsky
10-15-2017, 03:10 PM
Spriggs absolutely sucks; but I hate the idea of a OL there

Remember when we sucked that one year and got about pick #10 and then blew it on Raji ? I was beggin for the Dirty Crab;he's not a superstar but at least he's still playin

red
10-15-2017, 03:15 PM
Spriggs absolutely sucks; but I hate the idea of a OL there

Remember when we sucked that one year and got about pick #10 and then blew it on Raji ? I was beggin for the Dirty Crab;he's not a superstar but at least he's still playin

nah, people on here would bitch that crab isn't a HOF, remember all the hate for hawk who was decent/not great for many years for us?

ND72
10-15-2017, 03:24 PM
anything other not on the Defensive side would be a joke. Our defense is still terrible. This Vikings offense should not have scored 23 points. Our DB's are still a joke. Nothing annoys me more than seeing the vikings go 5 wide, and we drop 7 into coverage, into a zone, and we lose sight of 2 guys, who are literally just running free. It's insane. Sadly Pipkins looked like the best one! Hawkins at one point allowed the guy to catch the ball, and then didn't even know he caught the ball. Hawkins can go, Randall can go, Rollins can go, Evans can go.

pbmax
10-15-2017, 03:25 PM
They need WRs.

Bretsky
10-15-2017, 03:27 PM
anything other not on the Defensive side would be a joke. Our defense is still terrible. This Vikings offense should not have scored 23 points. Our DB's are still a joke. Nothing annoys me more than seeing the vikings go 5 wide, and we drop 7 into coverage, into a zone, and we lose sight of 2 guys, who are literally just running free. It's insane. Sadly Pipkins looked like the best one! Hawkins at one point allowed the guy to catch the ball, and then didn't even know he caught the ball. Hawkins can go, Randall can go, Rollins can go, Evans can go.

Randall and Rollins don't look like 1st and 2nd round draft picks

Bretsky
10-15-2017, 03:28 PM
They need WRs.

They need a STAR

call_me_ishmael
10-15-2017, 03:30 PM
Who are Matt Staffords receivers that he always seems to make magic happen??

Pugger
10-15-2017, 03:32 PM

This game was the perfect one to rush the passer. Whenever we did that goof in purple threw it up for grabs. MN's offense is terrible and we let them march up and down the field. shm

Maxie the Taxi
10-15-2017, 03:33 PM
This game was the perfect one to rush the passer. Whenever we did that goof in purple threw it up for grabs. MN's offense is terrible and we let them march up and down the field. shm+1

SMBASS
10-15-2017, 03:35 PM

After year in and year out of failure trying to build even a respectable D I don't trust the people picking the players or coaching that side of the ball to make it happen. Their track record is pathetic.

mraynrand
10-15-2017, 03:35 PM
Packers might have to draft a QB. Too bad they've already won 4 games. Can't compete with Cleveland.

call_me_ishmael
10-15-2017, 03:42 PM
I am not a fan of either of the top 2 q.v. prospects. Would rather have Joey Bosa’s little Bro

hoosier
10-15-2017, 03:47 PM
I am thinking that my work productivity will be soaring this fall. I could well be a first round pick

red
10-15-2017, 03:49 PM

i think before we waste anymore picks on defense we need to replace capers

we have given him a ton of high round picks, yet our defense remains shitty

smuggler
10-15-2017, 03:55 PM
This game was the perfect one to rush the passer. Whenever we did that goof in purple threw it up for grabs. MN's offense is terrible and we let them march up and down the field. shm

The defense played halfway decently, considering they were missing the top two corners from the start and then two safeties. If the offense had played to its usual level, we would have probably won by two touchdowns.

Bretsky
10-15-2017, 04:05 PM
i think before we waste anymore picks on defense we need to replace capers

we have given him a ton of high round picks, yet our defense remains shitty

So you think we have an abundance of talent on defense, but it's the coaching ?

pbmax
10-15-2017, 04:09 PM
Who are Matt Staffords receivers that he always seems to make magic happen??

You mean Megatron?

Brandon494
10-15-2017, 04:10 PM
Obviously we need to draft a QB 8-)

Brandon494
10-15-2017, 04:11 PM
DB or pass rusher imo

pbmax
10-15-2017, 04:11 PM
I am thinking that my work productivity will be soaring this fall. I could well be a first round pick

Listen, I am thinking about putting together a fantasy basketball league ...

pbmax
10-15-2017, 04:16 PM
30 minutes and I have change my draft priority:

1. Pass rush, pass rush, pash rush
2. WR
3. DBs

red
10-15-2017, 04:21 PM
So you think we have an abundance of talent on defense, but it's the coaching ?

i have no clue

either TT should go because he can't draft defense, or capers should because he can't coach defense

we have wasted so many picks on the defensive side of the ball, unless something changes, i fear we're just gonna keep wasting picks

Maxie the Taxi
10-15-2017, 04:23 PM
IMO the 3/4 defense has passed its prime. We need to go to a 4/3 and draft a good pass rushing lineman.

SMBASS
10-15-2017, 04:25 PM
i have no clue

either TT should go because he can't draft defense, or capers should because he can't coach defense

we have wasted so many picks on the defensive side of the ball, unless something changes, i fear we're just gonna keep wasting picks

Exactly how I feel red. Our inability to build a respectable D with all of the resources that have been used towards it has to fall on one of these guys. I honestly don't know the answer but think it's a combination of the two. TT can't seem to acquire good D players either through the draft or FA and Dom can't put the guys he does have into a position to succeed.

woodbuck27
10-15-2017, 04:25 PM
ok, so the season is over. chances are that we will be drafting in the top half of the draft. my guess would be somewhere between 10-15

i say we need a new RT. bulaga is always hurt, and spriggs looks to be a bust

This is very prudent and positive forward thinking red.

We went to the movie and just 20 minutes into it, the Theater caught fire.

red
10-15-2017, 04:36 PM
this is from my go-to source for draft related stuff. its something i've said, but most packers fans don't want to hear it

Clay Matthews is a famous star because of the commercials, but he really hasn't played consistently in several years, as it appears as though all of the injuries have taken a toll on him.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018_1.php#ixzz4vcCIHRlK

ND72
10-15-2017, 04:48 PM
Listen, I am thinking about putting together a fantasy basketball league ...

NBA starts this week. And I hate the NBA.

Joemailman
10-15-2017, 04:51 PM
this is from my go-to source for draft related stuff. its something i've said, but most packers fans don't want to hear it

Clay Matthews is a famous star because of the commercials, but he really hasn't played consistently in several years, as it appears as though all of the injuries have taken a toll on him.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018_1.php#ixzz4vcCIHRlK

I don't know Red. I think a lot of people have come to the conclusion he just isn't an impact player anymore. The explosion in his legs is gone.

run pMc
10-16-2017, 09:52 AM
Pass rusher
OL
DB
WR

My guess is they re-up Adams, modify (i.e., extend w/ more guaranteed $) Cobb and Jordy's contracts to drop their cap numbers, keep Allison and hope Yancey/Davis eventually pans out.
The injuries on the OL and secondary have exposed the depth. Murphy outplayed Spriggs and the Randall/Rollins draft looks pretty suspect.
Pass rush makes a huge difference -- you can get away with average DBs if you can consistently pressure QBs without needing to blitz much.

Is this HaHa's last year? If so they'll have to make a decision at S.

Maxie the Taxi
10-16-2017, 10:04 AM
Pass rusher
OL
DB
WR

My guess is they re-up Adams, modify (i.e., extend w/ more guaranteed $) Cobb and Jordy's contracts to drop their cap numbers, keep Allison and hope Yancey/Davis eventually pans out.
The injuries on the OL and secondary have exposed the depth. Murphy outplayed Spriggs and the Randall/Rollins draft looks pretty suspect.
Pass rush makes a huge difference -- you can get away with average DBs if you can consistently pressure QBs without needing to blitz much.

Is this HaHa's last year? If so they'll have to make a decision at S.I definitely agree that we should draft a pass rusher. I've been advocating it for years. The problem is to get a real difference-maker you have to draft in the top five or ten, because every team wants an elite pass rusher. So TT's gonna have to trade up or the team is gonna have to tank in performance this year.

woodbuck27
10-16-2017, 10:16 AM
Well I'll say this :

I belong to a Packer Forum where many members are realistic and future Green Bay Packer hopes.

I believe a top priority now is a legitimate Starting Material QB to be groomed as Aaron Rodgers successor.The search cannot start soon enough now.

woodbuck27
10-16-2017, 10:24 AM

Any NFL Team cannot have enough at CB.

The Green Bay Packers SUCK in the Defensive Secondary. Any really solid QB would laugh at our DB's.

woodbuck27
10-16-2017, 10:27 AM
IMO the 3/4 defense has passed its prime. We need to go to a 4/3 and draft a good pass rushing lineman.

YES !

gbgary
10-16-2017, 10:36 AM
best defensive player available. i don't care what position.

woodbuck27
10-16-2017, 10:36 AM

Yes draft at CB and get more talent at LBer.

It's been that for a Wish List for how many years now?

I keep telling you Packer fans and it's the obvious to me.

TT has to retire ASAP now. How many Seasons will his drafts not produce in the Trench Positions?

After a skilled QB; NFL Teams are strong right there or on both the OL and DL and domination. That is where games are won and lost. TT has lousy luck and drafting for Trench Position players.

How do you change that? ...................................... TT must let go !

red
10-16-2017, 10:42 AM
we do need a true #1 shutdown corner

Smidgeon
10-16-2017, 10:56 AM
Unless the pass rusher is a star, I think they need another WR first. They've been throwing so much spaghetti at the wall on the pass rusher, I have less faith the next guy is going to be the answer. I guess you keep throwing spaghetti.

I've been banging this drum since before Adams was drafted, but they need another guy. Someone a player like Hundley can trust. Not just a guy who is good at timing routes when Rodgers is playing. A guy who you can throw the ball up to.

Unless there's another Soldier Field miracle (this time in Minnesota), the Packers will be looking at the playoffs from the outside this year. It will be only the third pick in the Top 20 for TT. After Hawk and Raji, I hope they get someone more than serviceable.

red
10-16-2017, 11:52 AM
since we like to use the deep ball a lot, it would be nice to get a burner since jordy has lost a step or two and janis never turned into that guy

woodbuck27
10-16-2017, 12:00 PM
since we like to use the deep ball a lot, it would be nice to get a burner since jordy has lost a step or two and janis never turned into that guy

The WR position sure has been different with the LA RAMS since acquiring WR's formerly with Buffalo; Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods. That team is now turned way up on 'O'.

mraynrand
10-16-2017, 12:26 PM
NBA starts this week. And I hate the NBA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DYje57V_BY

Joemailman
10-18-2017, 11:18 AM
Dallas will host the 2018 Draft. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000863455/article/dallas-selected-as-host-of-2018-nfl-draft

QBME
10-18-2017, 04:08 PM
Dallas will host the 2018 Draft. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000863455/article/dallas-selected-as-host-of-2018-nfl-draft

Lot's of politikin' going on

woodbuck27
10-19-2017, 12:41 PM
Lot's of politikin' going on

Why isn't the NFL Head Office in Dallas?

Joemailman
10-22-2017, 02:58 PM
After today, I think it's pretty obvious the Packers need a wide receiver with deep speed.

mmmdk
10-22-2017, 04:00 PM
I want new eyes to pick the future Packer rookies.

pbmax
10-22-2017, 04:03 PM
After today, I think it's pretty obvious the Packers need a wide receiver with deep speed.

I'd settle for the slow ones to stop running the same route.

I think Brett2's formation adjustments were being misunderstood at least twice.

Rutnstrut
10-22-2017, 06:49 PM
What difference does it really make where they draft? If TT is the one at the helm yet, the picks will be wasted.

mraynrand
10-22-2017, 08:24 PM
What difference does it really make where they draft? If TT is the one at the helm yet, the picks will be wasted.

yawn

mraynrand
10-22-2017, 08:27 PM

Davis has deep speed. There weren't a lot of deep shots in the gameplan. Also, you need the O-line to be better, to help the newbie.

Joemailman
10-22-2017, 08:32 PM
Davis has deep speed. There weren't a lot of deep shots in the gameplan. Also, you need the O-line to be better, to help the newbie.

Let me rephrase that. Packers need a guy with deep speed who is good enough to play. Someone like Greg Jennings or a younger Jordy Nelson.

Rutnstrut
10-22-2017, 09:54 PM
yawn

So you disagree, why? What has TT done to justify yet another draft? Take away Rodgers and both he and stubby are mediocre at best.

mraynrand
10-22-2017, 10:21 PM
So you disagree, why? What has TT done to justify yet another draft? Take away Rodgers and both he and stubby are mediocre at best.

So what?

ThunderDan
10-22-2017, 10:27 PM

Take Tom Brady away and Billacheat is washed up like he was in CLE.

Rutnstrut
10-22-2017, 11:02 PM
Take Tom Brady away and Billacheat is washed up like he was in CLE.

Doubtful.

Zool
10-22-2017, 11:19 PM
Take away Rodgers and both he and stubby are mediocre at best.

Hyperbole

ThunderDan
10-23-2017, 07:10 AM
So we have 2 coaches.

The 1st coach has a hall of fame QB and has won a Super Bowl.

The 2nd coach has a hall of fame QB and has won multiple Super Bowls. The 2nd coach has previous experience in the league where he didn’t have a hall of fame QB and was run out of town.

mraynrand
10-23-2017, 07:49 AM
The 2nd coach has a hall of fame QB and has won multiple Super Bowls. The 2nd coach has previous experience in the league where he didn’t have a hall of fame QB and was run out of town.

Coming off an 11-5 season and a Divisional playoff loss, the Browns were 4-5 when Modell announced the team was moving to Baltimore. That effectively ended their season and Cheat's run as head coach. It's a little more complicated than 'run out of town' - there was extreme animosity towards Modell and the organization happening. And Testaverde wasn't HOF level, but he wasn't chopped liver either.

ThunderDan
10-23-2017, 11:29 AM
Coming off an 11-5 season and a Divisional playoff loss, the Browns were 4-5 when Modell announced the team was moving to Baltimore. That effectively ended their season and Cheat's run as head coach. It's a little more complicated than 'run out of town' - there was extreme animosity towards Modell and the organization happening. And Testaverde wasn't HOF level, but he wasn't chopped liver either.

I know there was a lot of complexity to the situation. I just find it refreshing to make broad brush statements based on nothing but how I feel and my dislike towards a franchise and their coach.

mraynrand
10-23-2017, 11:53 AM
I know there was a lot of complexity to the situation. I just find it refreshing to make broad brush statements based on nothing but how I feel and my dislike towards a franchise and their coach.

I dont blame you! I respect Cheat's football skills but that's about it.

RashanGary
10-26-2017, 04:51 PM
Hard to find stud edge rushers. A bad season might be just what we need to make a super bowl run next year.

Joemailman
10-29-2017, 11:19 PM
Packers currently have the 18th pick. Only time they picked 18th (1990), they drafted Tony Bennett.

mraynrand
10-30-2017, 05:37 AM
Packers currently have the 18th pick. Only time they picked 18th (1990), they drafted Tony Bennett.

TT would probably draft Lady Gaga with #18.

Rutnstrut
10-30-2017, 01:41 PM
Hard to find stud edge rushers. A bad season might be just what we need to make a super bowl run next year.

Meh, I am not overly hopeful that a bad season would help. People said the same about the bad playoff losses...

wist43
10-30-2017, 09:46 PM
Our first priority has to be to fire Capers... until that's done, it doesn't matter where we draft, or who we draft.

Bretsky
10-30-2017, 10:04 PM
Our first priority has to be to fire Capers... until that's done, it doesn't matter where we draft, or who we draft.

yup...cause it's 100% impossible to win a Super Bowl with Capers as the DC.....wait...we already did that

wist43
10-30-2017, 10:15 PM
yup...cause it's 100% impossible to win a Super Bowl with Capers as the DC.....wait...we already did that

Living in the past B... chasing that fart in the wind ;)

Bretsky
10-30-2017, 10:17 PM

We are a Fart in the Wind right now

And Ted's drafted plenty of them too

call_me_ishmael
10-30-2017, 10:28 PM
I do not understand how a team with so many first round picks spent on defense can seem so inept. Let's say you bust on 2/3 of the picks, well they would still have 1/3 that are solid players. In general, it does seem scheme and teaching related. I don't see too many players making the leap on defense to go from rookie, to solid, to star.

wist43
10-30-2017, 10:33 PM
We are a Fart in the Wind right now

And Ted's drafted plenty of them too

I think their philosophy on defense is fundamentally flawed. We run 2,3-4, but the organization doesn't value LB's highly enough - specifically inside linebackers. Add to that their inexplicable attraction to soft, poor tackling corners, and dunderdummies addiction to abandoning the middle of the field, and you have the mess that is our defense for years running now.

I think those deficiencies are glaring and obvious, but TT and co. don't seem to get it. So floundering along we go - year after disappointing year.

woodbuck27
11-01-2017, 02:43 PM

A great start of that and any real reality would have been to see Ted Thompson make some kind of a significant move before the end of the Trading Deadline this (2017-18) Season.

What did Packer GM Ted Thompson do?

NOTHING ! ... ZERO ... Diddley Squat ... Natta !! ... Sweet 'F' All

He has again decided to play his Marble Game with chipped marbles.

As usual he was in his latest Episode of:

Disappearance.

denverYooper
11-01-2017, 03:39 PM
TT would probably draft Lady Gaga with #18.

Nice. One of my kids was really sick on New Year's Eve a few years ago. We stayed home that night and I ended up watching Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga sing jazz standards. She really is a phenomenal talent.

She would be a game-changing pick at #18.

Joemailman
11-08-2017, 05:19 PM
Packers have the 15th pick.

Joemailman
11-19-2017, 03:52 PM
Packers have the 16th pick. Last time they had the 16th pick, they took Justin Harrell.

denverYooper
11-19-2017, 03:56 PM
lol

woodbuck27
11-19-2017, 03:59 PM

wist43..again after another again and again and another again...YOUR ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

Congratulations and seeing it clearly.

woodbuck27
11-19-2017, 04:01 PM
Packers have the 16th pick. Last time they had the 16th pick, they took Justin Harrell.

I'm an Irish Canadian.

I'm glad we are not picking 16th so far.

We'll go lower. Pick higher.

Fritz
11-19-2017, 04:05 PM

I think it is time for Capers to go, but for this game, the defense actually played well enough to win, especially given the three turnovers to start the game. It's the offense that is stinking up the joint, and to that end, I am profoundly disappointed in Hundley. He seems absolutely averse to stepping up into the pocket, and he just does not seem to be able to find the open guy when guys are actually open. I thought he would be much better than he has been so far.

Looks like ol' Fritzy was wrong on this one.

pbmax
11-19-2017, 05:37 PM

Well?

red
11-19-2017, 06:19 PM

also a TT pick

so we're looking for a guy who everyone has as a 3rd or later pick because he's only managed to play 3 games in his college career do to injuries, but has flashed potential in those three games

Joemailman
12-03-2017, 03:24 PM
Packers currently have the 17th pick. The last time they had the 17th pick (1960), they selected DB Bob Jeter.

mraynrand
12-03-2017, 03:52 PM
Packers currently have the 17th pick. The last time they had the 17th pick (1960), they selected DB Bob Jeter.

TT woulda traded down

red
12-03-2017, 04:13 PM
i think OT is a major need

baluga can't be counted on at all to be healthy and spriggs just flat out sucks

wist43
12-03-2017, 04:49 PM
ILB is still probably our biggest need...

Unfortunately for me, I slo-mo'd quite a few TB inside running plays... neither Ryan or Martinez can play at all. As bad at playing LB as Hundley is at QB or Spriggs is at OT.

I'm sure TT and co. think they're fine all around though.

Teamcheez1
12-03-2017, 06:48 PM
ILB is still probably our biggest need...

Unfortunately for me, I slo-mo'd quite a few TB inside running plays... neither Ryan or Martinez can play at all. As bad at playing LB as Hundley is at QB or Spriggs is at OT.

I'm sure TT and co. think they're fine all around though.

Martinez has a lot of tackles ala "AJ Hawk". Chasing things down 5 yards down the field.

Joemailman
12-03-2017, 08:05 PM
Martinez has a lot of tackles ala "AJ Hawk". Chasing things down 5 yards down the field.

It's tough work playing ILB for the Packers, because the Packers play just 2 D-Linemen more often than just about any team in the NFL. The Packers ILB's are not protected from blockers as much as on other teams. Martinez has played very well. When an ILB has to make a tackle 5 yards down field, it's not always the ILB's fault.

wist43
12-03-2017, 08:14 PM

5 yds or more... I saw several examples today where he could have either filled a hole with authority, or at least stepped up, taken on the lead blocker, and closed down the angle. Instead, he consistently sat where he was and waited passively to absorb the oncoming lead blocker and runner. Result?? Consistent 7-8 yd gains.

Ryan was just as bad.

Whenever I take the time to break individual plays down, it's almost always the same sad result.

To be fair to them though... a lot of their hesitation, timidity, and lack of playmaking is likely the fault of Capers.

wist43
12-03-2017, 08:17 PM
One of the announcers on the post-game show called a spade, a spade.... he said, "no need to rush Rodgers back for a team that isn't going anywhere anyway".

The Packers are not a good football team.

run pMc
12-05-2017, 04:40 PM
MOAR PASS RUSH PLS

pbmax
12-06-2017, 07:15 AM
MOAR PASS RUSH PLS

Please listen to this man.

Joemailman
12-10-2017, 08:44 PM
Packers are back to the 16th pick.

QBME
12-11-2017, 02:48 PM
Packers are back to the 16th pick.

I'd still take a modern day Bob Jeter in a heartbeat.

Cheesehead Craig
12-11-2017, 03:31 PM
i think OT is a major need

We seem to be doing pretty well in OT this season. I think we should focus on winning in regular time.

red
12-11-2017, 04:44 PM
We seem to be doing pretty well in OT this season. I think we should focus on winning in regular time.

i don't know about this week, but i'm pretty sure spriggs has been getting a ton of help

edit

OHHHHHHHHH

i get it now lol

Joemailman
12-11-2017, 04:47 PM
I'm fine with drafting an OT early if the value is there. But I don't think it's a bigger need than speed wide receiver, tight end, cornerback or pass rusher.

red
12-11-2017, 04:51 PM
I'm fine with drafting an OT early if the value is there. But I don't think it's a bigger need than speed wide receiver, tight end, cornerback or pass rusher.

i think every single one of us would rather draft a WR in the second round

that seems to be the one position and round TT seems to excel at

TE is a complete waste on our team. we don't know how to use them, we aren't gonna use them like other teams do. we could have gronk on our team, and he wouldn't be a dominate players like he is now

texaspackerbacker
12-11-2017, 08:36 PM
As badly as we need O Line help, teams way too often don't have much success with drafting O Linemen in the first round. In addition to that, the Packers seem to have an annoying habit of drafting undersized supposedly mobile O Linemen instead of big bruisers.

I'd rather see another potential shut down Corner drafted. King and Randall may not be busts, but both seem much more suited to being the team's second or third Corner behind some top flight #1. Assuming Ted would stubbornly refuse to sign a star quality free agent Corner, it would be good to draft one.

Rutnstrut
12-11-2017, 08:48 PM
I think the reason it looks like TT is decent at drafting WR's is because who is throwing them the ball. AR makes mediocre talent look great.

Bretsky
12-11-2017, 10:17 PM
Please listen to this man.

REDO of 2017 DRAFT ???

gbgary
12-11-2017, 10:36 PM
yup...cb and edge.

Joemailman
12-17-2017, 03:39 PM
Packers currently have the 15th pick.

red
12-17-2017, 03:41 PM
we need a RT

Joemailman
12-17-2017, 03:47 PM
RT, WR, TE, CB, EDGE. Packers do have lots of picks next year.

Teamcheez1
12-17-2017, 03:53 PM
I would like us to sit Rodgers the rest of the year. We have nothing to gain by him playing.

Get a better draft pick.

wist43
12-17-2017, 03:53 PM
We've drafted cb's, edge, ILB's, and OT's...

And they're all still needs??

What's wrong with that picture??

Rutnstrut
12-17-2017, 03:57 PM

TT. Do I get a prize;)

esoxx
12-17-2017, 04:00 PM
we need a RT

Why?

We just moved up to draft one in 2nd round two years ago. He was the 48th player taken in the entire draft.

Why would we need a RT.

mraynrand
12-17-2017, 04:18 PM

So you were unhappy with the way King and Rollins played today?

red
12-17-2017, 06:04 PM
Why?

We just moved up to draft one in 2nd round two years ago. He was the 48th player taken in the entire draft.

Why would we need a RT.

because that guy has turned out to be complete shit who can only keep his QB upright if he gets help

i agree that it looks like WR is now a big need. we need someone other then adams. jordy is done, cobb has a moment once or twice a year and geronimo isn't gonna get there

i just hate the thought of having to throw away more picks at OLB and CB. i guess it wouldn't hurt to throw a high pick on an OLB

esoxx
12-17-2017, 06:09 PM
It was a rhetorical question.

beveaux1
12-17-2017, 06:52 PM
because that guy has turned out to be complete shit who can only keep his QB upright if he gets help

i agree that it looks like WR is now a big need. we need someone other then adams. jordy is done, cobb has a moment once or twice a year and geronimo isn't gonna get there

i just hate the thought of having to throw away more picks at OLB and CB. i guess it wouldn't hurt to throw a high pick on an OLB

I worry about Adams. Two concussions in one season is enough to give pause. I don’t believe they’ll use another early pick on a CB. Probably edge rusher, wide receiver, edge rusher will be their targets.

beveaux1
12-17-2017, 06:54 PM
Losing Shields is what forced the early DB picks this past draft. I think Thompson would have chosen an edge rusher, otherwise.

wist43
12-17-2017, 08:10 PM
So you were unhappy with the way King and Rollins played today?

Missed the game... travel day today. Caught a glimpse in the airport lounge, but that's it.

Bretsky
12-17-2017, 08:30 PM
Why?

Why would we need a RT.

Cause TT f'cked up the pick....actually two picks

Bretsky
12-17-2017, 08:32 PM

We've used plenty of round one and two picks in the DB; but not so much at OLB. Nick Perry several years ago; Matthews several years before that. Jones was a DE.

JJ Watt anybody ?

Bretsky
12-17-2017, 08:34 PM

Is this a trick question, or is the answer the Drafter ??

wist43
12-17-2017, 08:49 PM
Is this a trick question, or is the answer the Drafter ??

I think the answer is fire the entire defensive coaching staff and start over on defense.... until that happens this team is just spinning its wheels.

Bretsky
12-17-2017, 08:55 PM
I think the answer is fire the entire defensive coaching staff and start over on defense.... until that happens this team is just spinning its wheels.

ok...then it was just a bad question...........you included OT's in there and Campen has done a good job

run pMc
12-17-2017, 09:01 PM
Why?

Why would we need a RT.

Are we assuming Kyle Murphy can't push for the RT job? Are we assuming Bulaga won't be back?
Spriggs is better since coming off IR, but I agree he has to get better if he's going to be a starter.

Bossman641
12-18-2017, 11:19 PM
Forget an ot in the first... one of Murphy or Spriggs will be good enough. First 4 picks should include 2 olb's, a cb, and a wr. Spend the middle rounds getting ol depth.

pbmax
12-19-2017, 08:38 AM
The good news is that we will all get good sleep Thursday Night during the draft as the Packers pick before midnight for a change.

Or whatever day they are doing it now.

Joemailman
12-19-2017, 04:17 PM
Moving Rodgers to IR brings up the real prospect of a 7-9 season. Last year 3 teams finished 7-9 and they drafted 10-12.

denverYooper
12-19-2017, 06:07 PM
Moving Rodgers to IR brings up the real prospect of a 7-9 season. Last year 3 teams finished 7-9 and they drafted 10-12.

So far the top 7 is pretty well defined. After that, 7-9 could land from 8-14. That's only based on current record, without looking which of the teams play each other or what the tiebreaker scenarios would look like.

It's a real race to sub-mediocrity.

call_me_ishmael
12-19-2017, 09:53 PM
Who are the premier pass rushers this year? It seems we missed one heck of a year last year for PRs.

run pMc
12-20-2017, 10:27 PM
Forget an ot in the first... one of Murphy or Spriggs will be good enough. First 4 picks should include 2 olb's, a cb, and a wr. Spend the middle rounds getting ol depth.
Agree

Pass rush is a definite need.
House probably won't be back (and if he is, he shouldn't be starting), and the rest don't inspire confidence. King could be very good and maybe the lightbulb went on for Randall -- he's been the best since the CHI meltdown.
Even if they sign Adams they still have to sort out the rest of the WR's. Geronimo's ceiling is a #3, Cobb can't outrun Nick Kwiatkowski, Jordy can't outrun anyone, and Yancey/Clark are raw. I'm ignoring Trevor Davis because I don't think he's an answer, meaning TT will go back to the draft pool to make sure there are weapons for Rodgers.

They will find OT's to convert to guards or G-T backups in the mid-rounds, plus they can continue to develop McCray, Murphy and maybe even Spriggs.

Bretsky
12-20-2017, 10:43 PM
PASS RUSH................HMMMMMMMMMMMM............WE COULDA.............SHOULDA..............U guys all know how to fill in the blank

Bossman641
12-21-2017, 04:41 PM
PASS RUSH................HMMMMMMMMMMMM............WE COULDA.............SHOULDA..............U guys all know how to fill in the blank

Lol it's a sprint not a marathon. Take the TJ Watt pictures down from your wall and let King/Biegel get through a season healthy. :-)

Smidgeon
12-21-2017, 07:13 PM
Lol it's a sprint not a marathon. Take the TJ Watt pictures down from your wall and let King/Biegel get through a season healthy. :-)

I don't think Biegel will ever be a star or even a Perry (assignment reliable and dependable). But I think he's got it in him to be better than the other stuff GB has been trotting out (Datone Jones, Elliot, Fackrell, etc). I saw he had a couple moves on Sunday that got him almost free. Give him more seasoning, and he might be decent. But not the answer to the pass rush question.

red
12-21-2017, 08:01 PM

will that ever happen?

king showed some flashes this year, but also showed a lot of bad traits. he could still go either way i think

beigel might have the talent to turn into the next jerome elliot, where none of us can figure out why he can't get playing time because he once got a sack, but the coaches know why

Bossman641
12-21-2017, 08:13 PM
Ya chances are biegel becomes dependable and not much else but who the fuck knows. The draft is a crapshoot.

I have hopes for king.

Joemailman
12-27-2017, 09:17 AM
I've looked at 2 mock drafts and both have the Packers taking James Washington - WR - Oklahoma St. Anybody with thoughts on him? I know everybody wants a pass rusher, but I'm not sure there will be one worthy of the pick when the Packers draft in the 1st round (Probably somewhere between 10-15).

https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

"An edge pass rusher is the Packers biggest need" is a statement that has been used here repeatedly over the last three NFL Drafts. Nothing much has changed, unfortunately, but if the Packers were to be selecting in this spot, is there a sure-fire impact pass rusher worthy of the pick? Looking at edge rushers available here, the answer is a very-likely "No". So that brings us to one proven postulate of drafting for the Green Bay Packers: When in doubt, get Aaron Rodgers another weapon. Jordy Nelson will be 33 before next season and is already showing noticeable signs of slowing down. Randall Cobb has never again approached the career year he put up in 2014, which earned him a hefty new 4-yr deal. Both are in the last year of their contracts in 2018, with each carrying a 12M+ cap hit. With impending free agent Davante Adams sure to command a top-tier WR contract, it's extremely unlikely all three will be with the Packers next season. A new toy for Rodgers, especially a legitimate deep threat currently lacking on the Packers, seems to be the best value for the Packers in this spot. With Biletnikoff Award-winner James Washington on the roster, Rodgers will bring back the play-action rollout double-move deep shot that Nelson can no longer run. It will be glorious.

- @JerseyAlGBP, Packers Analyst

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/12/13/james-washington-nfl-draft-profile/

Carolina_Packer
12-27-2017, 12:28 PM

Wait, players can actually be healthy, and actually...play? Mind blown!

mraynrand
12-27-2017, 12:51 PM
Wait, players can actually be healthy, and actually...play? Mind blown!

No they can’t. He’s just messing with you.

Joemailman
12-27-2017, 02:52 PM
Packers currently have the 14th pick. The last time they selected 14th was 2000 when they selected Bubba Franks.

Zool
12-27-2017, 04:08 PM
Packers currently have the 14th pick. The last time they selected 14th was 2000 when they selected Bubba Franks.

BUBBA!

I used to love his stat lines

3 catches
9 yards
2TDs

red
12-27-2017, 05:30 PM

I was looking at all this the other day, I think the absolute best we could do is 13th and the worst I want to say was 19th, that’s a big difference. We need to lose to the lions, as much as that would suck

pbmax
12-27-2017, 05:56 PM
BUBBA!

I used to love his stat lines

3 catches
9 yards
2TDs

He was efficient all right. No one runs his play anymore: block, fall down, get back up, wide open TD catch.

Joemailman
12-27-2017, 06:09 PM
I was looking at all this the other day, I think the absolute best we could do is 13th and the worst I want to say was 19th, that’s a big difference. We need to lose to the lions, as much as that would suck

Packers will probably lose Sunday, even though Hundley has played well on the road. Lions will be playing for their playoff lives, so they should be stoked. Cincinnati and Oakland (both 6-9) are playing playoff contenders and will probably lose. When Sunday is done, I think the Packers will probably have between the 14th and 16th pick.

red
12-27-2017, 06:16 PM
Packers will probably lose Sunday, even though Hundley has played well on the road. Lions will be playing for their playoff lives, so they should be stoked. Cincinnati and Oakland (both 6-9) are playing playoff contenders and will probably lose. When Sunday is done, I think the Packers will probably have between the 14th and 16th pick.
Lions are eliminated

pbmax
12-27-2017, 06:20 PM
Lions are out of it, aren't they?

Huber says the best they can do is probably 12th pick if they lose and everything breaks right. Most likely 14th with a loss. https://scout.com/nfl/packers/Article/Could-Green-Bay-Packers-Get-a-Top-10-Draft-Pick-112769013

Joemailman
12-27-2017, 06:57 PM
I didn't realize that. Still probably a loss with both Jordy and Adams likely out. Unless the Lions sit Stafford, which I doubt.

red
12-31-2017, 03:10 PM
We will be drafting 15th baring some sort of small miracle

mraynrand
12-31-2017, 05:05 PM

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-ebe4b98ba95f7acbda6b941763035b80

Joemailman
12-31-2017, 05:10 PM

Arizona leads Seattle 20-7 at halftime. If that holds, I think Packers have the 14th pick

red
12-31-2017, 05:51 PM
Arizona leads Seattle 20-7 at halftime. If that holds, I think Packers have the 14th pick

Correct, and them winning I think is the only way we don’t draft 15th

Isn’t Seattle playing for the playoffs?

red
12-31-2017, 06:04 PM
So get this

Because of strength of schedule. If every game ended right now we would have the 13th pick

We leap frogged over Washington by 1 one thousandth of a point. But that can easily change. And I depends on Arizona losing

red
12-31-2017, 06:51 PM
Cardinals win, we are currently tied with the redskins by record and strength of schedule, not sure what the next tie breaker is

One team will draft 13th the other will be 14th

red
12-31-2017, 07:13 PM
I think it’s official, we are drafting 14

Washington wins a tie breaker over us based on record against common opponents

mraynrand
12-31-2017, 07:18 PM
Browns will trade picks #1 and #4 to NE for Superbowl winning QB Tom Brady. Belicheat will draft franchise QB and OLB with those picks while Tom Brady will blow out achilles on first play from scrimmage and never play again. #PeakBrowns

Zool
12-31-2017, 07:58 PM
Browns will trade picks #1 and #4 to NE for Superbowl winning QB Tom Brady. Belicheat will draft franchise QB and OLB with those picks while Tom Brady will blow out achilles on first play from scrimmage and never play again. #PeakBrowns

That is a fun hypothetical. Would NE trade Brady for an entire draft a la NO and Ricky Williams? Would Bill’s house get burned down the next day?

Joemailman
12-31-2017, 08:12 PM
That is a fun hypothetical. Would NE trade Brady for an entire draft a la NO and Ricky Williams? Would Bill’s house get burned down the next day?

Yes. By Brady.

Joemailman
12-31-2017, 08:30 PM
I think it’s official, we are drafting 14

Washington wins a tie breaker over us based on record against common opponents

Twice the Packers have had the 14th pick:

2000: Bubba Franks
1963: Dave Robinson

Recent #14 picks:

2017: Derek Barnett - DE - Philadelphia
2016: Karl Joseph - S - Oakland
2015: DeVante Parker - WR - Miami
2014: Kyle Fuller - DB - Chicago
2013: Star Lotulelei - DT - Carolina
2012: Michael Brockers - DT - St. Louis
2011: Robert Quinn - DE - St. Louis
2010: Earl Thomas - DB - Seattle

SMBASS
12-31-2017, 08:52 PM

Recent #14 picks:

I'd be thrilled with an Earl Thomas type impact player at #14!

Zool
12-31-2017, 09:29 PM

Recent #14 picks:

Good lord. Is there a player on that list who wouldnt start for the Packers?

QBME
12-31-2017, 09:35 PM

Recent #14 picks:

Dave Robinson all day long.

pbmax
12-31-2017, 09:48 PM
Read that Washington and Green Bay are exactly tied with strength of wins or schedule or opponent schedule, whatever the tie break is.

So it’s a coin flip for the 13th pick.

Rutnstrut
12-31-2017, 10:53 PM
13th or 14th it doesn't matter. TT will fuck it up.

red
12-31-2017, 10:57 PM
Read that Washington and Green Bay are exactly tied with strength of wins or schedule or opponent schedule, whatever the tie break is.

So it’s a coin flip for the 13th pick.

I saw that it doesn’t go to a coin flip, the second tie breaker is record against common opponents

That’s where Washington edged us out

Pugger
01-01-2018, 08:40 AM
Yes. By Brady.

:lol:

woodbuck27
01-01-2018, 11:49 AM
13th or 14th it doesn't matter. TT will fuck it up.

The ' Chicken shit ' will trade down.

Headline:

Misinformed Packer Fans imagine watering down Cool Aid is better.

red
01-01-2018, 11:56 AM
The great news is that a lot of teams drafting in front of us need QBs in a bad way

So hopefully we see 4 shitty QBs go off the board pushing the real talent down to us

Joemailman
01-01-2018, 12:48 PM
The great news is that a lot of teams drafting in front of us need QBs in a bad way

So hopefully we see 4 shitty QBs go off the board pushing the real talent down to us

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/ has Clellin Ferrell/EDGE/Clemson #14 on their board. He's a redshirt sohomore. http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/12/30/clelin-ferrell-nfl-draft-profile/

They have Ferrell going 12th in their mock draft. They have the Packers taking Harold Landry/EDGE/Boston College at #14. http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/12/17/harold-landry-nfl-draft-profile/

They have 5 QB's going in their mock draft before the Packers pick. http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/12/27/2018-nfl-mock-draft-4-round-projections-heading-into-week-17/2/

wist43
01-01-2018, 12:52 PM
I think our greatest need, outside of a new defensive coaching staff, is still inside linebacker.

Maybe Ryan and Martinez can improve with better coaching, but both of them were so God-awful terrible that I'm not sure either can play at the NFL level at all. Especially Ryan... wow, was he terrible this year.

Joemailman
01-01-2018, 01:17 PM
Draftwire's 4 round mock draft Packer picks.

Harold Landry | EDGE | Boston College

Deon Cain | WR | Clemson

Mike Gesicki | TE | Penn State

Micah Kiser | LB | Virginia

woodbuck27
01-01-2018, 03:12 PM
I think our greatest need, outside of a new defensive coaching staff, is still inside linebacker.

Maybe Ryan and Martinez can improve with better coaching, but both of them were so God-awful terrible that I'm not sure either can play at the NFL level at all. Especially Ryan... wow, was he terrible this year.

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/12/23/green-bay-packers-top-5-needs-for-the-2018-nfl-draft/

Here`s the Mix of greatest need.

CB; TE; OLB; WR and ILB

woodbuck27
01-01-2018, 03:36 PM
Yes we certainly have huge need at CB;

In the last game At Detroit we saw this Guy on the sidelines without a Helmet on.

http://www.packers.com/team/roster/Donatello-Brown/0d78e69e-96b9-4918-8522-df543ef2933f

http://prod.static.packers.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/GB/photos/persons/player-cards/Brown_Donatello.jpg

After seeing him and wearing NO. 44 my next thought wasn`t Henry Aaron but this:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/factmag-images/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/predator-616x440.jpg

red
01-01-2018, 03:41 PM
I don’t ever want to hear anyone ever again blame a missed tackle on a guy wearing a club

UCF just beat Auburn, their best defender only had one fucking hand, and he was awesome

Bretsky
01-01-2018, 03:43 PM

I think Martinez are fine if he's the 2nd best one but we need some mean and nasty in the other guy. Ryan is a JAG

woodbuck27
01-01-2018, 03:48 PM
I think Martinez are fine if he's the 2nd best one but we need some mean and nasty in the other guy. Ryan is a JAG

That`s right he`s from Michigan.

wist43
01-01-2018, 04:19 PM

Every time I dedicated some time to watching Martinez, and only Martinez, he was awful.

Either he has exactly zero instincts for the game, or he only looked completely lost b/c his head was so full of spinning shit from the terrible coaching.

I value the ILB much more highly than the packers as an organization do though, so I fear we're stuck with both those guys for years to come.

Bretsky
01-01-2018, 04:48 PM
I want SPEED at ILB ....aka....Atlanta does great with getting speed there and it shows. Shazier and Mosley would have looked nice on this team but TT hardly ever trades up and those guys are gone by late round two. Hopefull one falls to us this year.

We need to utilize free agency.

I think this year showed us we have a bunch of holes

QBME
01-01-2018, 06:14 PM
That`s right he`s from Michigan.

Wait, what? Michigan is the litmus test?

Yo,Ed, it’s below zero up your way, but what’s left of your cranium can’t be frozen thru. Or is it?

red
01-01-2018, 08:16 PM
Anyone else watching Georgia and Roguan smith right now?

That guys pretty impressive

call_me_ishmael
01-01-2018, 08:23 PM
Roquan Smith is a grown ass man. Whoo boy he would look good in G&G. Came up huge in OT. So fast for an ILB.

Lots of first few round draft picks playing in the playoff games. Worth watching for sure.

Joemailman
01-01-2018, 10:37 PM
Roquan Smith is a grown ass man. Whoo boy he would look good in G&G. Came up huge in OT. So fast for an ILB.

Lots of first few round draft picks playing in the playoff games. Worth watching for sure.

Smith will be an interesting situation. I've seen him rated in the top 10 overall, but teams these days seldom draft an ILB that early.

Bretsky
01-01-2018, 10:57 PM
Smith will be an interesting situation. I've seen him rated in the top 10 overall, but teams these days seldom draft an ILB that early.

I've been reading and watching film on the Draft tonight because I'm bored debating on why some salary cap jag should never be our GM

I"ve come across the two or three guys I'm going to endorse...aka....OdellThurman....as our picks in round one.

Roquan Smith is the first guy I'd want. Even Wist might drop his jaw over this guy...lol..... But I think he goes around the 10 range....

Bradley Chubb (DE from NC) is the other; I think he goes before Smith.

I think we'd need to trade up to get either though. But I'd do it.

Also Clelen Ferrell, DE from Clemson, right now looks like a good fit and somebody who will probably be there at 15. He's our pick IMO if we don't trade up.

Of course, seeing it's only Jan 1st I'm probably completely full of shit ..lol

Joemailman
01-01-2018, 11:14 PM
I've been reading and watching film on the Draft tonight because I'm bored debating on why some salary cap jag should never be our GM

I"ve come across the two or three guys I'm going to endorse...aka....OdellThurman....as our picks in round one.

Roquan Smith is the first guy I'd want. Even Wist might drop his jaw over this guy...lol..... But I think he goes around the 10 range....

Bradley Chubb (DE from NC) is the other; I think he goes before Smith.

I think we'd need to trade up to get either though. But I'd do it.

Also Clelen Ferrell, DE from Clemson, right now looks like a good fit and somebody who will probably be there at 15. He's our pick IMO if we don't trade up.

Of course, seeing it's only Jan 1st I'm probably completely full of shit ..lol

Based on what I've read, no way Chubb would be available. Ferrell could be in play. Actually, underclassmen have until Jan' 15 to declare for the draft, so any lists are really premature.

Bretsky
01-01-2018, 11:17 PM
Based on what I've read, no way Chubb would be available. Ferrell could be in play. Actually, underclassmen have until Jan' 15 to declare for the draft, so any lists are really premature.

DITTO; I've seen Chubb go as high as the 3-5 range and as low as 9

Most have our ILB going about 10; some not top 15.

But when he tests out and has his pro day I expect him to go in the 6-12 range

I think Ferrell is there for us an could be the pick if we stay tight.

woodbuck27
01-02-2018, 06:05 AM
Wait, what? Michigan is the litmus test?

Yo,Ed, it’s below zero up your way, but what’s left of your cranium can’t be frozen thru. Or is it?

That's a long time inside Joke and Bretsky.

woodbuck27
01-02-2018, 06:07 AM
I want SPEED at ILB ....aka....Atlanta does great with getting speed there and it shows. Shazier and Mosley would have looked nice on this team but TT hardly ever trades up and those guys are gone by late round two. Hopefull one falls to us this year.

Yes and use the CAP don't PINCH with it as TT did.

pbmax
01-02-2018, 07:29 AM

Packers team defense= 20th

Atlanta team defense= 22nd

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

:roll:

Bretsky
01-02-2018, 07:03 PM
Packers team defense= 20th

Atlanta team defense= 22nd

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

:roll:

We're talking linebackers. Are you tryin to say those Atlanta LB'ers would not help us ? where the defenses ended up rating is silly to note. Of course you should not be held responsible to remember how badly Wist and I wanted the Falcons speedy LB in round two and that was the source of my chatter, even though I didn't explain it well enough. . He excels now; we have Jake Ryan

pbmax
01-02-2018, 09:01 PM
We're talking linebackers. Are you tryin to say those Atlanta LB'ers would not help us ? where the defenses ended up rating is silly to note. Of course you should not be held responsible to remember how badly Wist and I wanted the Falcons speedy LB in round two and that was the source of my chatter, even though I didn't explain it well enough. . He excels now; we have Jake Ryan

Who do you not have then? And could that speed work in the former defense?

Wist overplays this, but you have to have some size to play ILB for Dom.

Bretsky
01-02-2018, 10:02 PM
Who do you not have then? And could that speed work in the former defense?

Wist overplays this, but you have to have some size to play ILB for Dom.

On "this one" Wisty was spot on

We'd have Deion Jones

we would not have Jason Spriggs

I guess you an just pick one of he ILB Jags to cut.

RashanGary
01-03-2018, 12:18 AM
Arden Key and Celin ferrell look decent

call_me_ishmael
01-03-2018, 10:40 AM
Is it just me or is this draft filled with less big names than other drafts? It sure seems week defensively. It looks like it's legit for OL based on some mocks.

Ugh, bad luck there. I guess OT is a big need for us but we really need a stud pass rusher.

Smidgeon
01-03-2018, 11:12 AM
Is it just me or is this draft filled with less big names than other drafts? It sure seems week defensively. It looks like it's legit for OL based on some mocks.

Ugh, bad luck there. I guess OT is a big need for us but we really need a stud pass rusher.

Murphy, McCray. I don't think OT is as big of a need with another offseason for both of them.

Zool
01-03-2018, 11:21 AM
Murphy, McCray. I don't think OT is as big of a need with another offseason for both of them.

If Bulaga is gone, it's a gaping hole on the line. See Ansah, Ziggy

denverYooper
01-03-2018, 11:36 AM
If Bulaga is gone, it's a gaping hole on the line. See Ansah, Ziggy

He's set to be an Unrestricted FA and Eliot Wolf's first major acquisition as Packers' GM.

call_me_ishmael
01-03-2018, 11:59 AM
Surely they'll franchise Ansah, no? Would be awesome though.

Zool
01-03-2018, 12:00 PM
I mean Bulaga was missed dearly on Sunday. McCray was nothing more than an obstacle to go around.

mraynrand
01-03-2018, 12:10 PM
I mean Bulaga was missed dearly on Sunday. McCray was nothing more than an obstacle to go around.

Spriggs, Murphy and Bulaga are all consistently unreliable. Will be interesting to see if some FA move is made to solidify that side of the line, because I don't think you want to rely on a new draft pick for 2018. Much depends on what the org thinks of Murphy I suppose.

Pugger
01-03-2018, 02:54 PM
nm

Pugger
01-03-2018, 03:00 PM
Spriggs, Murphy and Bulaga are all consistently unreliable. Will be interesting to see if some FA move is made to solidify that side of the line, because I don't think you want to rely on a new draft pick for 2018. Much depends on what the org thinks of Murphy I suppose.

Bulaga might have issues staying healthy but he is light years better than Ulrick John and Spriggs is still rather green. Murphy is an unknown

pbmax
01-03-2018, 07:41 PM
Darnold and Rosen have both declared for this draft.

Bretsky
01-03-2018, 08:03 PM

Kind of Agree; if we want a stud LB or Pass Rusher it may be a rough year.

wist43
01-03-2018, 09:08 PM
Kind of Agree; if we want a stud LB or Pass Rusher it may be a rough year.

There's always guys to find...

2016 draft, I wanted Matt Judon... was banging the drum for him earlier than others had him rated - he's developing into a hell of a player. Baltimore took him in the 5th round, pick 146.

Ted took Clark, Spriggs, Fackrell, Martinez, and Lowry all before Judon went. Judon is better than all those guys.

Others guys I wanted that Ted spit on - that are better than anyone the Packers have are, Deon Jones, Telvin Smith, Brandon Williams, and Benardrick McKinney from recent memory.

Truthfully, I think Packerrats could have assembled better drafts than TT and that very questionable scouting dept.

Bretsky
01-03-2018, 09:13 PM
There's always guys to find...

2016 draft, I wanted Matt Judon... was banging the drum for him earlier than others had him rated - he's developing into a hell of a player. Baltimore took him in the 5th round, pick 146.

Ted took Clark, Spriggs, Fackrell, Martinez, and Lowry all before Judon went. Judon is better than all those guys.

Others guys I wanted that Ted spit on - that are better than anyone the Packers have are, Deon Jones, Telvin Smith, Brandon Williams, and Benardrick McKinney from recent memory.

Truthfully, I think Packerrats could have assembled better drafts than TT and that very questionable scouting dept.

That list is blast from the past ! Dude, I liked D Jones, Telvin Smith, and Brandon Willliams

But we would have had a fist fight last year when you would have tried to pass on TJ Watt :)

wist43
01-03-2018, 10:04 PM
That list is blast from the past ! Dude, I liked D Jones, Telvin Smith, and Brandon Willliams

But we would have had a fist fight last year when you would have tried to pass on TJ Watt :)

Yeah, i didnt trust Watt... he seems to be okay though.

Probably would have liked Watt more had he not come from Wisconsin... I'm a Badger fan, but I have an engrained distrust of Badger players transitioning to the pros.

wist43
01-03-2018, 10:10 PM
The one pick I hate the most from last year is Beigel...

Think the rest of the draft class might be okay with some good coaching...

IMO, Biegel, Fackrell, and Ryan all need to be bartending next year. Martinez might-could improve with some better coachimg.

Zool
01-03-2018, 11:22 PM

IMO, Biegel, Fackrell, and Ryan all need to be bartending next year. Martinez might-could improve with some better coachimg.

Ryan played some solid ST this year in coverage units, he should just be doing that from the bench. Bieber looked lost at times, but played fast at others. He’s hard for me to pin down. Might be good, might end up being Brad Jones.

Smidgeon
01-03-2018, 11:32 PM
Ryan played some solid ST this year in coverage units, he should just be doing that from the bench. Bieber looked lost at times, but played fast at others. He’s hard for me to pin down. Might be good, might end up being Brad Jones.

And yet Martinez tied for the league lead in tackles and had more solo tackles and turnover plays than both of them. He isn't a superstar, but he isn't a slouch either.

Bretsky
01-04-2018, 12:42 AM
Arden Key and Celin ferrell look decent

Agree; if I had to predict our pick I'd go with Ferrell right now

But I crave the ILB

Bretsky
01-04-2018, 12:44 AM
Yeah, i didnt trust Watt... he seems to be okay though.

Probably would have liked Watt more had he not come from Wisconsin... I'm a Badger fan, but I have an engrained distrust of Badger players transitioning to the pros.

Speaking of Badgers LB"s, TJ Edwards was an All American and is going backto UW

I'm not sure he'll be a great pro though.

Bretsky
01-04-2018, 12:47 AM

Having Ryan, Fackrell, and Biegel all on the roster seems too much

Martinez I thin will be a player; put a stud ILB next to him (you know who I want from College) and hes jus fine

Biegel....jury still out ......he could be that last defensive rusher that gives the occasional pressure or sack

Ryan....no upside....Fackrell.....they love his upside but he's just not a player let and time has to elapse soon

mraynrand
01-04-2018, 01:32 AM
^^^ I always thought that TT was trying to redeem his career vicariously at LB. Like a misplaced father instinct.

George Cumby
01-04-2018, 08:10 AM
^^^ I always thought that TT was trying to redeem his career vicariously at LB. Like a misplaced father instinct.

Agreed. It seems every draft he would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker. A guy who oozed " Packer People", good with kids, opens doors for little old ladies, goes to church. The kid you want your daughter to bring home. The guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

pbmax
01-04-2018, 08:15 AM
You need one banger in the middle of a 3-4 defense and Ryan is it. Just look at what happens to the run D when Thomas has to go in for him.

Zool
01-04-2018, 08:21 AM
You need one banger in the middle of a 3-4 defense and Ryan is it. Just look at what happens to the run D when Thomas has to go in for him.

It should be Martinez not Ryan. Ryan fits the 2000s model of Packer ILB. Chase and drag down from behind. That model is getting old.

pbmax
01-04-2018, 08:47 AM
It should be Martinez not Ryan. Ryan fits the 2000s model of Packer ILB. Chase and drag down from behind. That model is getting old.

The numbers mean you are going to have one guy take on a guard. I would rather that be Ryan than Ponch. If its one ILB on field, then Ponch alone is fine.

Of course, teams can counter that and expose Ryan to coverage or lateral movement. But you cannot have an All Pro at every spot without being a terrible franchise for 10 years.

woodbuck27
01-04-2018, 09:06 PM
https://www.chatsports.com/nfl/a/here-complete-draft-order-2018-nfl-draft-36873

Here Is The Draft Order For The 1st Round 2018 NFL Draft For Non-Playoff Teams

By Mitchell Renz January 4, 2018

Deputy Nutz
01-05-2018, 10:43 AM
The Packers have the 14th pick. It seems that the first round will be heavy for the offensive line with guards and tackles. Some are rated very high in mock drafts, but you know that no GM wants to take a guard with a top 10 pick, top 25 for that matter. Linebacker seems deep in this draft with maybe 6-8 of them mocked in the first round. The Packers could get lucky and be in position to land another top flight corner.

Just off the top of my head, this is the guy I think the Packers should draft, if the draft was tomorrow

Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, OLB, Oklahoma

run pMc
01-05-2018, 10:44 AM
The numbers mean you are going to have one guy take on a guard. I would rather that be Ryan than Ponch. If its one ILB on field, then Ponch alone is fine.

Of course, teams can counter that and expose Ryan to coverage or lateral movement. But you cannot have an All Pro at every spot without being a terrible franchise for 10 years.

Agree. Also, both Biegel, Ryan, Martinez were R4 picks, so you're unlikely to be getting All Pro level play. Modern offenses dictate that you don't use thumpers much except for early downs or goal line stands, but you still need one or two.
I don't think Ryan is a stud, but I don't think he's garbage either.
Martinez had a good year, with the exception of a couple of games and the occasional brain freeze with pass coverage. They are both solid players.
Jury is out on Biegel; this was basically a redshirt season for him and Montravious Adams, who might develop as a DL pass rusher.

With the higher picks GB needs perimeter players (pass rush, CBs) IMO, unless there is an absolute beast at ILB who can play all 4 downs available. Considering teams are playing safeties as "moneybackers" now I don't think ILB is a highly valued position (like OG).

I really think another solid corner and a vastly improved pass rush is enough to put them in the top 12-15 on defense, which with a healthy Rodgers is probably enough to make them a strong SB contender.

QBME
01-05-2018, 06:19 PM
The Packers have the 14th pick. It seems that the first round will be heavy for the offensive line with guards and tackles. Some are rated very high in mock drafts, but you know that no GM wants to take a guard with a top 10 pick, top 25 for that matter. Linebacker seems deep in this draft with maybe 6-8 of them mocked in the first round. The Packers could get lucky and be in position to land another top flight corner.

Just off the top of my head, this is the guy I think the Packers should draft, if the draft was tomorrow

All props.

Don't know squat about the draft, but damn, if you're playing sports scrabble....

3irty1
01-05-2018, 06:35 PM
I think there is a fair amount of talent on this defense as is. Our cast offs go on to get double digit sacks for other teams or play in the secondary at the probowl. If this defense can play like even a sum of its parts I think its an average unit. Priorities are things you can never have enough of anyways: CB and OLB.

Joemailman
01-05-2018, 06:46 PM

Okay.

pbmax
01-05-2018, 08:13 PM
I think there is a fair amount of talent on this defense as is. Our cast offs go on to get double digit sacks for other teams or play in the secondary at the probowl. If this defense can play like even a sum of its parts I think its an average unit. Priorities are things you can never have enough of anyways: CB and OLB.

I am with you. Which is why I am hopeful the DC change can elevate them.

My concern is that if McCarthy really has inserted himself into the GM process, the DC pick might get secondary consideration (no pun intended).

Though they need more pass rush even if Perry is healthy.

Smidgeon
01-05-2018, 08:51 PM
I am with you. Which is why I am hopeful the DC change can elevate them.

My concern is that if McCarthy really has inserted himself into the GM process, the DC pick might get secondary consideration (no pun intended).

Though they need more pass rush even if Perry is healthy.

Part of me worries the timing for the GM switch was unfortunate. I know a lot of people wanted TT gone for whatever reason. Let's put those aside and just think about timing alone.

Scenario 1: DC was fired as DC. If TT had one more year, M3 would hire a DC without issue or anything hanging over the hiring decision. The DC comes in, they both get a year together. At the end of next year, Murphy retires TT. The new GM comes in and can assess the staff as a whole and decide whether to keep them all or move them in a different direction.

Scenario 2: DC was not fired as DC. TT was retired this year. The new GM comes in and can asses M3 and DC and make a call on them together.

Instead we have Scenario 3: DC was fired and TT was retired. In almost makes the GM's job more difficult because he is not getting a fair chance to assess an embedded staff. There are going to be a lot of growing pains this year.

I like M3 as a coach, but I'm starting to come around to the idea that if the DC (basically the second head coach when the HC is an offensive specialist) and the GM were fired/retired the same year, they might as well clean house completely. There is going to be a lot of moving parts, and the hiring of the DC/GM are going to affect each other. I think the complexity adds risk in that the decisions are less likely to pan out versus if they happened in successive years.

I may be way off, but this almost seems like the riskiest timing for prolonged organizational success versus either successive year changes or cleaning house completely. (For the record, I think cleaning house completely holds its own significant risk as well.)

pbmax
01-06-2018, 06:38 AM
That is part of why I think others are right and this was discussed about the time M3 got his one year extension.

Part of the problem of being a lame duck is getting good staff. In fact, I would be impressed if they landed their top choices.

RashanGary
01-06-2018, 10:09 AM

Hmmmm........ Looks good to me!

ThunderDan
01-06-2018, 10:30 AM
That is part of why I think others are right and this was discussed about the time M3 got his one year extension.

Part of the problem of being a lame duck is getting good staff. In fact, I would be impressed if they landed their top choices.

I wouldn’t on the defensive side of the ball. If I am an up and coming talent as a position coach I’d take the job in a second.

If you can imorove a D that performed poorly last year and the O still sputters and the new GM decides to can MM you would be in position for the HC spot at GB. If you improve the D and the O gets back to its usual, the Packers will make a deep run in the playoffs and other teams will start looking at you for their HC job.

pbmax
01-06-2018, 12:07 PM
I wouldn’t on the defensive side of the ball. If I am an up and coming talent as a position coach I’d take the job in a second.

If you can imorove a D that performed poorly last year and the O still sputters and the new GM decides to can MM you would be in position for the HC spot at GB. If you improve the D and the O gets back to its usual, the Packers will make a deep run in the playoffs and other teams will start looking at you for their HC job.

I don't know. Most in demand coordinator candidates are looking for some stability.

I could see a guy getting a promotion saying the hell with it and taking the risk. Either internal (Perry, Whitt) or external position coach who has been waiting.

Bretsky
01-06-2018, 01:08 PM
I don't know. Most in demand coordinator candidates are looking for some stability.

I could see a guy getting a promotion saying the hell with it and taking the risk. Either internal (Perry, Whitt) or external position coach who has been waiting.

I've joked many times (but was serious) that I'd hire you as a campaign manager in a second and you'd be great whether you believed in my cause or not

There are legit DC's out there. There are legit Personnell guys out there.

I won't be the only one seriously bummed if we hire Cappie Russ and a DC from the inside when there are proven guys out there.

pbmax
01-06-2018, 01:46 PM
I've joked many times (but was serious) that I'd hire you as a campaign manager in a second and you'd be great whether you believed in my cause or not

There are legit DC's out there. There are legit Personnell guys out there.

I won't be the only one seriously bummed if we hire Cappie Russ and a DC from the inside when there are proven guys out there.

I am not advocating it. I was saying the reason you extend M3 is to avoid those being your ONLY choices.

I want Fangio or maybe the Arizona guy Bettchner. Would also take Manusky if they could shake him lose (he and M3 are friends).

Its possible Whitt (Woodson and Harris believe in him, which isn't bad) and Perry (who while with Pittsburgh was heavily reported to be in line for a DC job) might be great. I just don't know how to tell. Whitt's guys seem more organized than Perry, but who can tell?

pbmax
01-06-2018, 01:47 PM
I gotta be faster than Kendricks and more elusive than RichRod.

Smidgeon
01-06-2018, 02:18 PM
Here's my uneducated wishlist for DC, in order:

1. Bettchner
2. Fangio
3. Whitt

Here's my uneducated wishlist for GM, in order:

1. I have no idea

red
01-08-2018, 07:52 PM
I know DT is probabaly the last thing we need, but Payne from Alabama is a scary looking dude

Deputy Nutz
01-08-2018, 08:35 PM
Here's my uneducated wishlist for DC, in order:

1. Bettchner
2. Fangio
3. Whitt

Here's my uneducated wishlist for GM, in order:

1. I have no idea

So if the Packers hire a 4-3 cover two scheme coordinator they will have to look at drafting different personnel. They need a fast athletic middle linebacker which they don't have. They don't have any 5 tech or 7 tech ends. The secondary should be in better shape as communication is a bit more straight forward. They can basically cut their two starting outside linebackers as Perry's skill set won't transfer and regardless of scheme Matthews should be cut. Sure there is a cap hit on Perry, but he is over paid

pbmax
01-08-2018, 09:49 PM
So if the Packers hire a 4-3 cover two scheme coordinator they will have to look at drafting different personnel. They need a fast athletic middle linebacker which they don't have. They don't have any 5 tech or 7 tech ends. The secondary should be in better shape as communication is a bit more straight forward. They can basically cut their two starting outside linebackers as Perry's skill set won't transfer and regardless of scheme Matthews should be cut. Sure there is a cap hit on Perry, but he is over paid

If they switch to the 4-3, Perry will be your pass rushing RDE and Matthews will be the SOLB. Ryan might get a run at MLB but in coverage it will be a mess and they will need an upgrade in physical talent. Martinez will get a look at WOLB and they would prefer to put him there, but he might have to be the Mike. Thomas might have to man the Will.

But they won't be in a 4-3 base much. Most of the snaps will be Daniels-Clark-Perry with the 3 LBs.

Smidgeon
01-08-2018, 09:51 PM

If Josh Jones puts it together, can he function as that fast middle linebacker?

pbmax
01-08-2018, 09:52 PM
If Josh Jones puts it together, can he function as that fast middle linebacker?

You have to take on a center or guard if you are alone in there. He would have to be a Will.

Smidgeon
01-08-2018, 10:00 PM
You have to take on a center or guard if you are alone in there. He would have to be a Will.

How big is Arizona's middle LB? Isn't he around 220? (I could be waaaaay off on that.)

Joemailman
01-08-2018, 10:17 PM
How big is Arizona's middle LB? Isn't he around 220? (I could be waaaaay off on that.)

They list both Karlos Dansby and Deone Bucannon as starting ILB's. Bucannon weight 211, Dansby 250. I think they play a hybrid defense.

pbmax
01-09-2018, 07:37 AM
They list both Karlos Dansby and Deone Bucannon as starting ILB's. Bucannon weight 211, Dansby 250. I think they play a hybrid defense.

I think that is the case. When I have seen them (him) he is not in there alone.

pbmax
01-10-2018, 11:05 AM
Which poster was big into believing that the Packers had moved slightly at least toward analytics to measure athletic performance and explosion? SPARQ I think one metric was called?

Because I found another true believe on Twitter. His definition of analytics is off, though in the specific case of the draft it might apply. Not sure how much data he has on the players, but here you go:

Kornélios Taylor @iKornelios
High Athletic Scores Got The Following #Packers Drafted Earlier Than Maybe They Should’ve:

Jason Spriggs
Kyler Fackrell
Damarious Randall
Quinten Rollins

Analytics is a math formula created to quantify production combined w/ combine athletic scores to identify special players.

pbmax
01-10-2018, 11:12 AM
He's also big into believing OLbs/DEs in 4-3 and 3-4 pay vastly different roles which is too simplistic. There are some takeoff differences between a 2 point and 3 point stance, but Brooks and Perry aren't in coverage much. Not too sold on that part of his posts, but he has a great question for Guteus Maximus:

If I were a #Packers beat reporter attending the NFL Combine the real question to ask isn’t the basic questions you ask every combine about the teams biggest needs. If you want to write a great informative article, ask GUTE: analytics vs film, and it’s role in hitting on picks.

call_me_ishmael
01-11-2018, 08:26 AM
Who are the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round receivers in this draft? I think the Packers are far more likely to sign a defender than a WR in free agency, and they desperately need them. I would have zero problem with getting rid of both Cobb and Nelson, and bringing in some young, speedy talent.

mraynrand
01-11-2018, 11:25 AM
He's also big into believing OLbs/DEs in 4-3 and 3-4 pay vastly different roles which is too simplistic. There are some takeoff differences between a 2 point and 3 point stance, but Brooks and Perry aren't in coverage much. Not too sold on that part of his posts, but he has a great question for Guteus Maximus:

If I were a #Packers beat reporter attending the NFL Combine the real question to ask isn’t the basic questions you ask every combine about the teams biggest needs. If you want to write a great informative article, ask GUTE: analytics vs film, and it’s role in hitting on picks.

Clearly TT was Eastwood and Eliot is the Matt Lillard character in 'Trouble with Curve' meme. If what you are saying about recent picks is right, either TT got infected with the analytics bug, or others were running the draft show. Thus, your question is hugely important - which side won out in the power reorganization? Is Gute closer to Eastwood or Lillard? What kind of Terminator will he be? Heaven help us if he's Justin Timberlake.

Fritz
01-11-2018, 12:14 PM

Watch GuttyKut go for the highest-rated guy and land an offensive guard, at which point we will be reduced to chanting "Steve Hutchinson, Steve Hutchinson" over and over and over.

pbmax
01-11-2018, 03:42 PM
Clearly TT was Eastwood and Eliot is the Matt Lillard character in 'Trouble with Curve' meme. If what you are saying about recent picks is right, either TT got infected with the analytics bug, or others were running the draft show. Thus, your question is hugely important - which side won out in the power reorganization? Is Gute closer to Eastwood or Lillard? What kind of Terminator will he be? Heaven help us if he's Justin Timberlake.

Hopefully whoever introduced SPARQ to this website pokes their head in. It was a couple of years ago, after Ted they had hired a couple of people to teach it to him. The gist of the PackerRats post was that the analytics stuff had an impact here like in Seattle, chasing certain explosive athletic traits and it predated SPRIGGS™ or Fackrell.

Might have been (probably was) pushed by younger guys, but I don't know whatever became of it. Kornelios clearly thinks its still going on, probably part of the getting faster and longer on defense last year.

If you are going to chase a breakout guy in the draft, I like the approach. Not sure I like trading up or over drafting for it though, cause its still just a probability. Spriggs was an exception not because of his traits, but his draft value was the last of the top end tackles in that draft.

smuggler
01-13-2018, 07:24 AM
Yeah, we did trade up for Spriggs, but he was highly rated for the slot we selected him, even by traditional scouting sources.

denverYooper
01-13-2018, 07:52 AM
Yeah, we did trade up for Spriggs, but he was highly rated for the slot we selected him, even by traditional scouting sorceress.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c6/Sorceress_Grayskull.jpg
Traditional Scouting Sorceress

smuggler
01-13-2018, 07:58 AM
Hah. My bad. I'm traveling and I'm on mobile.

wist43
01-13-2018, 08:46 PM
I didn't want Spriggs, but thought he'd develop... as it is, he looks like a complete bust that can't play at all. Just cut him.

Didn't want Randall... he can go; Ryan needs to be replaced. We need a TE and WR...

Don't know what kind of fronts Pettine will go with early, but at least for now I think the 3-3 is still the best way to go. He can go with a 4-2 as well, but not with Ryan and Martinez on the field together... preferably with neither of them on the field.

Joemailman
01-13-2018, 10:34 PM
DITTO; I've seen Chubb go as high as the 3-5 range and as low as 9

Most have our ILB going about 10; some not top 15.

But when he tests out and has his pro day I expect him to go in the 6-12 range

I think Ferrell is there for us an could be the pick if we stay tight.

Ferrell is NOT going to be in the draft. That's a bit of a blow to those who want the Packers to draft OLB in the 1st round.

mraynrand
01-14-2018, 10:58 AM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c6/Sorceress_Grayskull.jpg
Traditional Scouting Sorceress

That looks like some of the roadkill packer fans wear to games:

https://cloudfront.sportsgrid.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/packersfoxhat.jpg

mraynrand
01-14-2018, 11:02 AM
Ferrell is NOT going to be in the draft. That's a bit of a blow to those who want the Packers to draft OLB in the 1st round.

But he will be drinking a 64 ozzer on the bench at Bally's

https://public-fprllc.netdna-ssl.com/assets/img/on-mic.JPG

pbmax
01-14-2018, 01:52 PM

https://cloudfront.sportsgrid.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/packersfoxhat.jpg

Foxy.

Zool
01-14-2018, 09:09 PM

Or the sorceress of castle greyskull who gave the something something sword to Adam making him He-man. Sheesh