PDA

View Full Version : Start with Pickett, add a nickel

HarveyWallbangers
09-08-2006, 07:47 AM
Start with Pickett, add a nickel
By Chris Havel

Ryan Pickett has been watching A.J. Hawk for years.

Pickett, who also played at The Ohio State University, doubts Green Bay Packers fans truly understand how good the rookie linebacker is.

"They can't see him in practice," Pickett said. "I don't think people realize how special he is. He made a pick in Monday's practice and I was like, 'Wow!' This boy's real athletic, and he knows the game. He's going to be a great player for years to come."

Through no fault of their own, Packers fans also may not realize that Pickett is a pretty good player, too.

Pickett, 26, led National Football League defensive linemen with 115 tackles last season. The Packers signed the free agent to replace Grady Jackson as the primary run stopper. The 6-foot-2, 322-pound Pickett has flashed signs that he can do that, but he also can chase down ball carriers from behind and apply pressure on passing downs.

"I ain't got much of a chance to show it," he said. "But I'll get my chance. It's coming. It's coming Sunday, and I'm looking forward to it."

Brett Favre said Wednesday the Packers' offense is looking for something "to hang its hat on." That "something" is the running game in concert with the new zone-blocking scheme.

Whether it flourishes or fails remains to be seen.

Either way, it raises the question: What is the defense going to hang its hat on?

It could be the nickel package, in which defensive coordinator Bob Sanders replaces a linebacker with a cornerback on passing downs.

Offenses relish the thought of running teams out of the nickel because it forces the defense's hand.

That is especially true of the Bears, who use the run to set up the pass, and prefer to throw against four defensive backs and single coverage.

If the Packers' defense is going to put the Bears on their heels, it must be successful with its nickel package. If Chicago can't run at will, and finds it must pass against five defensive backs, the Packers' odds of success improve.

One reason the nickel has a chance to thrive is Hawk and fellow linebacker Nick Barnett. With Hawk and Barnett paired together, their speed should enable them to drop into coverage but recover in time to limit the ball carrier to a modest gain.

Another reason the nickel could be effective — and don't laugh — is Ahmad Carroll's presence. As a starting cornerback, he's unreliable. As a nickel back, he's covering the opponent's No. 3 receiver, which shouldn't be too much to ask of a former first-round pick. He also is expected to come up and support the run in the nickel, and he has shown to be a willing, tenacious tackler, if nothing else.

Add Pickett's history of playing the run, Brady Poppinga's potential as situational pass rusher and Abdul Hodge's ability to give Hawk or Barnett a breather, and there is a chance the defense will have something to hang its hat on — just above the bearskin rug.

KYPack
09-08-2006, 08:01 AM
Pickett hung tough against a very solid run blocking guard, Bobby Williams of the Bengals.

The "pressure on the QB" bit I've yet to see. I hope it's true, but I doubt it.

pbmax
09-08-2006, 08:05 AM
Pickett hung tough against a very solid run blocking guard, Bobby Williams of the Bengals.

The "pressure on the QB" bit I've yet to see. I hope it's true, but I doubt it.
I haven't seen it either but all he needs to do is hold the pocket, push it back some and let the DEs chase the QB into it. He doesn't have to have the sack to be OK. Too often our DTs get caught abandoning lanes to put pressure on and the Qb sneaks through the middle. I think even Brad Johnson did this last year in MN.

Fritz
09-08-2006, 08:30 AM
Thank goodness Daunte Culpepper is no longer in the division.