PDA

View Full Version : Bob McGinn : Scouts size up NFC North

motife
09-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Scouting the NFC North
Posted: Sept. 7, 2006
Two personnel directors, one from an NFC team and one from an AFC team, size up the NFC North Division teams. Excerpts from their comments during mid-week interviews follow:

CHICAGO
"Chicago will be good because they've got a great return guy (Devin Hester) and a great defense. That usually means field position. And they can run the ball, which means games will be close. They always have a way of winning close games. If they get any play out of their quarterback and don't turn the ball over they'll be better than they were last year." . . . "I think the Bears are really good up front. Their defensive line controls the game. You better be really good in the offensive line to beat them." . . .

"They play really good zone defense. They run fast to the football, which means they're good in the kicking game. And they've got return guys. They play in cold weather, which certainly helps a field-position style of team." . . . "(Thomas) Jones is better than (Cedric) Benson. He has better vision, better explosion into the hole. Benson is more of a straight-up power runner and can break some tackles." . . . "(Olin) Kreutz is a good, solid, consistent player. (John) Tait is solid at left tackle. But I don't see anybody else that's worth a (expletive). Fred Miller can't block any quickness back inside." . . . "Griese is a better quarterback than Grossman but they'll go with Grossman. Griese has more talent but he's more unpredictable." . . . "They may score as much on defense as they do on offense. They'll be hard to run against and will create turnovers with that umbrella Cover 2 stuff. I see the counter and the cutbacks as areas of weakness just because of the nature of that defense." . . . "They've got a quick defensive line. That's what Lovie (Smith) likes. They got three-technique type players, guys that play one gap and get off blocks. And they can rush the passer." . . . "Urlacher is the glue that holds everything together. He's just a phenomenal player. He defies reality. He's got great instincts and awareness." . . . "(Mike) Brown and (Chris) Harris are tough safeties. What they like in that defense is safeties that can interchange in the box. That's exactly what they are. They're not real good over the top deep. The corners have enough ability and speed to play Cover 2. When they rotate a guy into the box and go thirds I think they're good enough to do that." . . . "Devin Hester is a good punt returner. He's not very smart but how fast do you have to be to return punts?"

MINNESOTA
"I think they're better on defense. They look much stouter. Their front seven is better. Plus, they play in a very loud stadium. It makes it conducive if you have a good front." . . . "Their season will be determined on the health of their quarterback. Can that guy (Brad Johnson) stay healthy at his age?" . . . "I think they've got some question marks at receiver they've got to resolve internally." . . . "Any time a team has that kind of home-field advantage, I think they'll find a way to win. The key for them is how will they win on the road?" . . . "Their offensive line will play good in that style of offense where they get rid of the ball pretty quickly. Plus, they can run the ball. I think Chester Taylor will have a big year for them." . . . "It's a hard one to read with young coordinators." . . . "Brad Johnson has been a reliable, consistent guy. You can count on him. He just can't win games for you. He can keep you from losing games." . . . "Troy Williamson could be good if he gets consistent with his hands. He needs to break out at some point." . . . "(Jim) Kleinsasser is tough as a blocker but I don't see him or (Jermaine) Wiggins as a threat in the passing game. Kleinsasser is a hard-nosed kid as a blocker. He can make that wham block as good as anybody." . . . "I think (Steve) Hutchinson was overpaid and very overrated in Seattle. He's good but not that kind of a money player. They are solid in the offensive line. They won't make a lot of mental errors. You'll be able to run the ball behind them. Kleinsasser really helps that group." . . . "They're solid with their front four but I don't think any of the linebackers are worth a (expletive). I'm very, very disappointed in Napoleon (Harris). He should be a much better player than he is. (Ben) Leber is smart and instinctive but he doesn't have any range." . . . "You can win with their corners. I don't know if Dwight Smith has enough range if they bring the other safety up." . . . "I like Longwell. I can't believe they let him go."

DETROIT
"I think they can be a dangerous team down the road. They're going to get better. The more they play their style on offense and defense, the better they will be. By the end of the year they'll be a much better team than they are early." . . . "Their defensive front is good. Shaun Cody has been really good this summer." . . . "They're starting to run better on defense. They'll be sound and well-coached on defense. They'll fly to the football. That will translate into being good in the kicking game. They've got the No. 1 return guy (Eddie Drummond) in the league." . . . "I think with (Mike) Martz on offense they'll find their niche. He always does. He's one of those coaches that will always make the quarterback a little bit better than he is." . . . "I think (Rod) Marinelli is part of that (Tony) Dungy school of coaching. He believes in simplicity, repetition, playing hard, playing fast. Teams that are coached that way always get better." . . . "I've always liked Kitna. I think he's a very accurate passer. He's very smart. He did a great job in Cincinnati. You can win with him. He doesn't do anything spectacular but he doesn't do anything to get you beat." . . . "Martz will be cutting Marinelli's throat. It won't work. He's hoping they do well so he gets a job as a head coach again. The Dallas Cowboys owner likes him. I don't think (Bill) Parcells will be there next year." . . . "Mike Williams is too slow but Roy Williams is as good as anybody in the league. Corey Bradford is just a guy." . . . "(Damien) Woody is a good player. Rex Tucker stinks. (Dominic) Raiola stinks. I'm not sure about (Ross) Verba." . . . "Shaun Rogers is the anchor and the key. The other (defensive linemen) are just guys." . . . "(Ernie) Sims will make a lot of plays. I've always liked Boss Bailey if he can stay healthy. After that, they're ordinary." . . . "Both corners have good track records. I don't know how much gas Dre' Bly can have in his tank. They're both small. People will complete passes on them. Kenoy Kennedy is a strong, tough kid down in the box." . . . "(Terrence) Holt is a smart safety without great range. (Daniel) Bullocks has better range but he's not as tough. He's not a physical player." . . . "Any time Chuck Priefer is coaching special teams they're going to be good. He's really good. (Jason) Hanson has been kicking since Moby Dick was a minnow."

GREEN BAY
"It's a mess. I have no idea why Ted (Thompson) would entertain hiring that guy (Mike McCarthy) as a head coach." . . . "The little bit I've seen on TV of them, wow. No. 21 (Charles Woodson). Whew?" . . . "I still think Ahman Green can do something. But sometimes when you get behind in games, your running back, as good as he is, can't really run." . . . "Brett Favre is done. He's going to lose games for you, not win them. He's two years late retiring. The bad thing is, he holds you back from developing your team." . . . "I think Aaron Rodgers has a chance. The other guy can't do the things he used to do physically himself and he doesn't have the supporting cast to help him do it. He's a gunslinger. Gunslingers become erratic at some point and aren't worth anything." . . . "How good is Ahman Green going to be? How much speed and quickness has he lost? It's an unknown. He doesn't have a backup." . . . "I like (Greg) Jennings. I don't like the other two, including (Donald) Driver, no matter what he's done. I think Jennings has a chance to be something special. I've never liked any of their tight ends." . . . "I don't know how they're going to win with those two rookie guys at guard. I don't like Scott Wells. (Mark) Tauscher is as good as any right tackle in the league probably. (Chad) Clifton has bad knees. Those backups will get a lot of snaps because they're going to get the (expletive) kicked out of them on the inside. Imagine that offensive line lining up against Chicago. Or Minnesota. Mercy, mercy, mercy." . . . "I know Bob Sanders. I think he's a solid guy. They won't make a lot of mental mistakes but I don't think they're good enough." . . . "Everybody likes their two defensive ends better than I do. They can both rush the passer. (Ryan) Pickett is the real deal inside. The rest are just guys. It's not even close between Pickett and Grady Jackson." . . . "(Nick) Barnett is a good player. (A.J.) Hawk will be a great player. It all depends if (Brady) Poppinga has the instincts for the position. He certainly has the talent." . . . "Is Methuselah still with them at cornerback? They're old. And Ahmad Carroll is just not an instinctive player. He doesn't have any ball sense. I think Woodson will get beat consistently. (Al) Harris doesn't have enough speed. He plays everything in front of him very well. He's a pure Cover 2 corner right now." . . . "It's amazing to me that Nick Collins has played as good as he has. (Marquand) Manuel will be OK but he won't be able to play anything over the top."

- Bob McGinn

motife
09-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Division gets no respect
It ranks at bottom of NFL
Posted: Sept. 7, 2006
Bob McGinn

Green Bay - The Chicago Bears' eight-game winning streak that started in mid-October last season saved the NFC North Division from continuing to be the butt of jokes around the National Football League.

But after two lousy seasons in general and an eight-year drought of not having a Super Bowl team, the reputation of the NFC North is approaching low ebb.

Last week, the Sporting News ranked the North eighth in its power ratings of the NFL's eight divisions. On Thursday, an executive in personnel for an NFC team said there wasn't any doubt in his mind that it was the worst division.

"I don't think there's a good team in the North," the scout said. "I think all four teams are weak in one area or another."

Two personnel men, one from the NFC and another from the AFC, each predicted that the Bears would repeat atop the NFC North, with the Minnesota Vikings second, the Detroit Lions third and the Green Bay Packers fourth.

That's the exact order of the standings in 2005. It was the Bears' first division championship since 2001. Those Bears went 13-3 under coach Dick Jauron, then vanished into thin air with a 4-12 collapse in '02.

Sixteen teams have played in the Super Bowl since Green Bay made it after the 1997 season. Not only is the NFC North the only division that hasn't produced a Super Bowl participant in the last eight years but it hasn't even sent a team to the NFC Championship Game since Minnesota was shelled by the New York Giants, 41-0, in January 2001.

Some Bears players are talking about a Super Bowl run but the NFC personnel man wasn't buying it.

"I don't think they have enough offense," he said. "I don't think they have a quarterback. The only way they would go is as a guest. But Chicago will win the division because they're the best defensive team."

Minnesota, Detroit and Green Bay all have new coaches, the first time since the merger in 1970 that one division had as many as three rookie coaches to open a season.

With new coaching staffs and fresh schemes come uncertainty and possibly even more unpredictable results.

"Just going off the talent, I see Green Bay as the weakest by far all the way around," the NFC executive said. "I see them with three wins. They may wind up with the No. 1 pick. It might be that wide receiver out of Georgia Tech (Calvin Johnson)."

With upheaval the order of the off-season in Minnesota, Detroit and Green Bay, the Bears were the picture of stability.

Jerry Angelo, the sixth-year general manager of the Bears, kept just 10 new players on his 53-man roster, equaling the fewest for any team in the division during the decade. Plus, two of the 10 spent all of '05 on the Bears' practice squad.

In stark contrast, the Lions have 19 newcomers, the Vikings have 21 and the Packers have 23.

The Bears kept five rookies, their fewest total since '97, and a total of seven rookies and first-year players, their fewest since '00. The Packers led with 14 rookies in a roster overhaul designed to dig out from a 4-12 campaign, their first last-place divisional finish since '88.

Chicago has merely three new starters, all on offense. Detroit changed eight starters, Minnesota switched nine and Green Bay found 10 different ones.

Green Bay has the youngest team in the NFC North with an average age of 25.57 years, followed by Chicago at 26.57, Minnesota at 26.70 and Detroit at 27.17. Although the teams of GM Matt Millen own a 21-59 record, this is the fifth time in Millen's six seasons that the Lions have been the division's oldest team.

Detroit, which hasn't had a winning season since going 9-7 under Bobby Ross and Gary Moeller in 2000, isn't the only division team in a slump. The Vikings haven't won the NFC North since 2000, their longest drought since the mid- to late 1980s. They've finished second four years in a row under departed coach Mike Tice.

Of the 32 players drafted by division teams, only five were cut and two went on injured reserve.

The total of 212 players on active rosters includes only three original rookie free agents. The unheralded survivors are wide receiver Shaun Bodiford of Detroit via Portland State, guard Frank Davis of Detroit via South Florida and defensive end Jason Hunter of Green Bay via Appalachian State.

Here is a list of the starting lineup changes for teams other than the Packers:

CHICAGO (3): WR Bernard Berrian for Justin Gage, RG Roberto Garza for Terrence Metcalf and FB Jason McKie for Bryan Johnson.

MINNESOTA (9): WR Troy Williamson for Nate Burleson, LG Steve Hutchinson for Chris Liwienski / Anthony Herrera, RG Artis Hicks for Adam Goldberg, RT Marcus Johnson for Mike Rosenthal, RB Chester Taylor for Mewelde Moore / Michael Bennett, FB Tony Richardson (Vikings played without one in '05), SLB Ben Leber for Keith Newman, MLB Napoleon Harris for Sam Cowart and SS Dwight Smith for Corey Chavous. Also, K Ryan Longwell for Paul Edinger.

DETROIT (8): LG Ross Verba for Kyle Kosier, RT Rex Tucker for Kelly Butler, TE Dan Campbell for Marcus Pollard, WR Corey Bradford for Scottie Vines, QB Jon Kitna for Joey Harrington, DT Shaun Cody for Dan Wilkinson, SLB Alex Lewis for Ernie Holmes and WLB Ernie Sims for James Davis.

RashanGary
09-08-2006, 08:43 AM
This is from a scout. It all depends if (Brady) Poppinga has the instincts for the position. He certainly has the talent."

People talk about Poppinga being a low talent, high effort guy. Sorry, the guy is a physical beast and only dropped to the 4th round because he was 25 and not 22.

GoPack06
09-08-2006, 09:24 AM
i dont even know were to start. I think the one think ill comment on is the quote about not liking Driver. How stupid is that.

Favre4
09-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Heres where these type of guys are wrong. They want to say the Packers are some miserably bad team, but the logic doesen't fit. They want to base it on a 4-12 season where half the team was injured. And act as if they were a super bowl team before then. They weren't. The defense in 2004 was beyond awful. When I look at the starting team, I don't see a bad team. They just aren't capable of winning a super bowl, but neither were any of the Packers teams after 1997.

harris
woodson
collins
manuel

key backups: carroll, blackmon, culver

hawk
barnett
poppinga

key backups; hodge, taylor

kampman
pickett
cole
kgb

key backups: allen, williams, jenkins, montgomery
---
driver
jennings
ferguson

favre

franks
lee

green
gado

clifton
spitz
wells
moll
tausher

ND72
09-08-2006, 09:31 AM
GEEZ.....can we get any meaner towards Green Bay than those few clips? kick me when i'm down. you know what, When we beat Chicago on sunday, I'm going to find a camera and MOON the entire world.....and i'm not a small man :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
09-08-2006, 10:31 AM
This is from a scout. It all depends if (Brady) Poppinga has the instincts for the position. He certainly has the talent."

People talk about Poppinga being a low talent, high effort guy. Sorry, the guy is a physical beast and only dropped to the 4th round because he was 25 and not 22.

He ain't a physical beast. Like Kampman, he has more athletic ability than some people give him credit for, but he's not that fast or that strong. He's got a good size-to-speed ratio, but his mid 4.7s speed isn't going to wow anybody. He is tenacious though. Nothing wrong with being labeled that.

KYPack
09-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Now you know why most teams think scouts are goofy. Because they are. The Driver comment was off the charts. You don't like Don Driver? ... then you are an ass.

Some of the comments did give me the willies. I'm scared to death about Woodson. That guy had a ton of skills, but he seemed so played out in the pre-season. Slow, stiff, with a TON of rust on him. The guy ain't that old, why is he playing so lame? & we got him returning punts?

Oh my my.

Tarlam!
09-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Well, Sunday is a bit like Christmas morning. You run down the stairs and find your present from under the tree, beautifully wrapped.

You rip the stupid paper away and open the box. You look inside!

Only when the final whistle blows will we know if we were given a Play Station 3, or, a years supply of underware and matching socks!

Packnut
09-08-2006, 11:01 AM
The majority of these guys are idiots who say things for shock value. I learned a long time ago to take what these guys say as pure nonsense.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-08-2006, 11:11 AM
How the hell do you not like DD? That comment right there lost any respect he had left. That comment shows that he knows nothing about anything when it comes to football. He doesns't even give reasons to why he said some of the things he said about us. He's says he doesn't like DD, but doesn't give a indication of why. I just sounds like a bear fan that has a personal problem with the packers.

MJZiggy
09-08-2006, 11:34 AM
"These two personnel men, one from the NFC and one from the AFC" sure don't know what the hell they're talking about now do they. Mercy Mercy Mercy.

And they don't even have the cajones to own up to their comments either. Anonymity is so easy when you don't have to face up to what you said.

ND72
09-08-2006, 11:34 AM

He ain't a physical beast. Like Kampman, he has more athletic ability than some people give him credit for, but he's not that fast or that strong. He's got a good size-to-speed ratio, but his mid 4.7s speed isn't going to wow anybody. He is tenacious though. Nothing wrong with being labeled that.

totally 100% agree harv....I like Poppi, but he's not a physical beast.

RashanGary
09-08-2006, 11:45 AM
weren't you the two who said he'd never start :wink:

No Mo Moss
09-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Heres where these type of guys are wrong. They want to say the Packers are some miserably bad team, but the logic doesen't fit. They want to base it on a 4-12 season where half the team was injured. And act as if they were a super bowl team before then. They weren't. The defense in 2004 was beyond awful. When I look at the starting team, I don't see a bad team. They just aren't capable of winning a super bowl, but neither were any of the Packers teams after 1997.

harris
woodson
collins
manuel

key backups: carroll, blackmon, culver

hawk
barnett
poppinga

key backups; hodge, taylor

kampman
pickett
cole
kgb

key backups: allen, williams, jenkins, montgomery
---
driver
jennings
ferguson

favre

franks
lee

green
gado

clifton
spitz
wells
moll
tausher

I think the 2004 team could have won the Super Bowl. No onw could stop us from running the ball. We were telling people what we would run and they couldn't stop it. I doubt very much taht the Patriots could have beat the Packers in that superbowl. We were going on 15 play 10 min drives that season and that's how you win against NE. Of course Sherman would have probably fucked it up if we got there, but I think we could have won.

ND72
09-08-2006, 12:00 PM
weren't you the two who said he'd never start :wink:

I said he's NOT a starter....I never said he WOULDN'T start...I still don't think he's our 3rd or 4th top LB on the team, but that's me i guess. I like the kid, i've always liked him. But, i'm being cautious with that guys "expectations."

TheCheese
09-08-2006, 02:47 PM
That was 2003 that had the killer run game, 2003 ! in 2004 our defense was so horrible we had to throw the ball tons because we were always behind and we actually had success this way with driver and walker playing great and Brett throwing for 4000 yards and 30 tds while Ahman only had like 1200 yards rushing.

Bossman641
09-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Gee, that really made my day. Did they say a single good thing about us?

Tony Oday
09-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Every thing I have heard about the Packers says we are going to be terrible. I remember after the 2004 season we were annointed to win the division in 2005. Thats why they play the games!

BallHawk
09-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Well, Sunday is a bit like Christmas morning. You run down the stairs and find your present from under the tree, beautifully wrapped.

You rip the stupid paper away and open the box. You look inside!

Only when the final whistle blows will we know if we were given a Play Station 3, or, a years supply of underware and matching socks!

Now that was well-said.

b bulldog
09-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Johnson or peterson would look good in a Packer uniform next season.

BananaMan
09-08-2006, 06:12 PM
to sum up the scouts comments:

The little bit I've seen on TV of them...

This guy has no clue and is just saying things.

SkinBasket
09-08-2006, 06:22 PM
here's the thing I don't understand. All these "ninja scouts" who can't reveal their identity and all the national media types claim that Favre is hurting the Packers by staying in GB because he is a gunslinger, he's too old, won't let a SECOND YEAR QB develop. Yet, they also claim he could be of enormous help to someone else, be it the Redskins or Miami - or as one dumb fuck on ATH suggested this week - as a backup to Big Ben. I'm just not sure how they can reconsile saying a great player in his golden years hurts one team, yet the very same player can help several other (larger market) teams. Then again, they don't have to.

Gooser
09-08-2006, 06:29 PM
The Packers do NOT handicap very well: two rookie Gs, a rookie WR, an aging, if not burnt out, QB, a new blocking system, all new coaching. no depth, overloaded with youth. Defense seemingly unable to stop opponents on 3rd down, soft vs run, 5 or 6 new starters and now they must play w/o their most dynamic DL, Grady Jax. If Woodson proves to be a bust OR they are hit by a rash of injuries, this team will coe unglued like a house of cards. At least a doundation is being built by TT, that's more than you can say for the Sherman years.

woodbuck27
09-08-2006, 07:28 PM
GEEZ.....can we get any meaner towards Green Bay than those few clips? kick me when i'm down. you know what, When we beat Chicago on sunday, I'm going to find a camera and MOON the entire world.....and i'm not a small man :lol:

Ex cell ent !! :mrgreen:

GO PACK GO ! PACKER FAN FAITH !!