PDA

View Full Version : Brett Hundley - Ongoing discussion

Patler
10-21-2017, 12:46 PM
I thought it might be good to have a thread directed to Brett Hundley, where we can discuss what he is asked to do as the newly anointed starter, how he performs from week to week, whether he should be traded next year, cut this year, or kept to replace that other guy who used to start for the Packers before he went to the sidelines with yet another injury.

I saw MM in a discussion with Larry McCarren, who asked what the process would be for getting Hundley ready to take over, and how things might be different from the last time Rodgers broke his collar bone. MM had some interesting remarks, which I understood as follows:

- Hundley is his guy, who he has trained for three years for just this purpose.
- He made mistakes last time, asking the QBs to play too much like AR plays.
- He appreciates now how differently AR plays QB compared to others, waiting, moving and seeing the game his way.
- Beyond basic QB skills, AR is unique in what he does.
- Hundley will be asked to play more conventionally, while taking advantage of his size and ability to run.
- He expects more throws on timing, less extended plays, etc.
- He really knows Hundley well, not so with Wallace and Tolzien last time.
- His bigger concern is the O-Line. He knows Hundley can play well if put in the right position to succeed, but at that point he (MM)didn't even know who would line up where in the O-Line, and might not know until Saturday. That makes the week more challenging than plugging in Hundley does, and could dictate the game plan quite a bit.

Tony Oday
10-21-2017, 12:54 PM
Like I said, slants, swings and a good dose of Jones wins. If we stick with 6 second drop backs and the non NFL RB on any fucking roster, known as Ty Montgomery we lose.

mraynrand
10-21-2017, 01:23 PM
When he plays well I will be calling him "Hot rod" or hRod Hundley after the Basketball great.

gbgary
10-21-2017, 04:09 PM
HRod. i like it!

pbmax
10-21-2017, 04:26 PM
I'll be sticking to PackerRats naming convention and calling him B2.

ZachMN
10-21-2017, 08:49 PM
I was thinking about how one of the negatives I've seen a few times was B2's lack of accuracy and I remember Arod being knocked for his Tedford delivery which as we all know is long gone (and honestly he might have the sweetest delivery ever) so in regards to B2's lack of accuracy that will improve with M3 I have no doubt...now if we could draft decent D players and get teams off the field with our D once in a while......

RashanGary
10-21-2017, 10:15 PM
To me, B2 already has improved his accuracy. He looks to be throwing in balance and on target. It’s just like with AR...... he was a little more robotic early, really sticking to his mechanics. After years and hours and hours and hours and hours of throwing the ball with perfect mechanics, he started to develop a feel for throwing that became deeper than mechanics and that’s when we started to see AR become fluid and flexible.

I see B2 as more robotic than AR right now. But i see him as being equally committed to his mechanics and robotic as AR was in 2008. So I expect a learning curve with that. I expect B2 to be good but not as dynamic with adjustments as AR has become. No telling how good he might be, but he looks balanced and accurate and committed to his mechanics. He’s a McCarthy QB. We won’t see his best yet, but hopefully he can get us to the playoffs and we get Aaron back. And in the long run, B2 is getting imo the best QB training in the football world. MM, to me, is the best. Period. Montana, Favre, Rodgers, Gannon..... he’s coached a lot of MVPs and knows What it takes to throw the football to the best of each players ability.

Fritz
10-22-2017, 08:17 AM
Sounds like the dude might have to run for his life if Linsley and Taylor are both out, which looks to be the case.

RashanGary
10-22-2017, 08:47 AM
Sounds like the dude might have to run for his life if Linsley and Taylor are both out, which looks to be the case.

He’s going to have to scrap. Each week is different. He’s going to have to learn to be mentally flexible to adjust to each week. This is a good chance for him to learn right away how to stay calm and win ugly.

call_me_ishmael
11-01-2017, 12:37 PM
Looks like Packers tried to sign Brett Hoyer today.

woodbuck27
11-01-2017, 01:42 PM
To me, B2 already has improved his accuracy. He looks to be throwing in balance and on target. It’s just like with AR...... he was a little more robotic early, really sticking to his mechanics. After years and hours and hours and hours and hours of throwing the ball with perfect mechanics, he started to develop a feel for throwing that became deeper than mechanics and that’s when we started to see AR become fluid and flexible.

I see B2 as more robotic than AR right now. But i see him as being equally committed to his mechanics and robotic as AR was in 2008. So I expect a learning curve with that. I expect B2 to be good but not as dynamic with adjustments as AR has become. No telling how good he might be, but he looks balanced and accurate and committed to his mechanics. He’s a McCarthy QB. We won’t see his best yet, but hopefully he can get us to the playoffs and we get Aaron back. And in the long run, B2 is getting imo the best QB training in the football world. MM, to me, is the best. Period. Montana, Favre, Rodgers, Gannon..... he’s coached a lot of MVPs and knows What it takes to throw the football to the best of each players ability.

Yes.

Repped.

woodbuck27
11-01-2017, 01:50 PM
What I see right now in B2 is a Backup NFL QB that needs a lot more experience playing NFL games and a likely as it's been, a more solid OL to help him protect the ball.

I see a Back Up NFL QB that certainly isn't prepared to tackle 'the Mount Everest' that is the challenge of winning consistently in the NFL.

I'm looking at a Backup QB and wondering if he can take the physical punishment he is expected to take. NFL football is obviously and extremely violent.

Can B2 deal with all of that?

I'll be watching B2 with 'Bells and Whistles' on for the next MNF Game Vs Detroit for any sign of Packer Nation hope and B2. I'll be ecstatic if the Packers win this very important matchup.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
11-01-2017, 02:33 PM
Looks like Packers tried to sign Brett Hoyer today.

Comment woodbuck27:

This News (if it's true) has to be a tad embarrassing for Packer HC Mike McCarthy.

This speaks mountains and MM's REAL confidence in Backup Brett Hundley...just some more of MM's ** Horseshit ** !?

Either ** that ** or MM and TT are not on the same page?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/p...d-to-sign-him/

" ...But first there's this: apparently the Packers tried to steal Hoyer away, according to a report from Ian Rapoport of NFL Media.

That angle is fascinating, because the Packers have previously explained very loudly and very clearly that they are perfectly fine with Brett Hundley, their backup for the last three years, filling in for Aaron Rodgers, who suffered a broken collarbone and could miss the rest of the season. ...."

texaspackerbacker
11-01-2017, 06:43 PM
If there's any truth to the thing about trying to sign Hoyer, it says more about what they think of Callahan than Hundley. Myself, I'd rather they take their chances with Callahan as the current backup than Hoyer.

pbmax
11-01-2017, 09:29 PM
If they actually tried to acquire fucking Hoyer then they must really want a Top 10 draft pick.

Pugger
11-02-2017, 09:58 AM
If they actually tried to acquire fucking Hoyer then they must really want a Top 10 draft pick.

Seeing they never even brought Hoyer in for a visit I doubt they were very serious in acquiring him.

Teamcheez1
11-02-2017, 10:07 AM
Seeing they never even brought Hoyer in for a visit I doubt they were very serious in acquiring him.

I tend to agree with this. They were probably looking to sign Hoyer to a bare bones, veterans minimum contract for the remainder of the season. Once they saw he was looking for more, I'll bet the interest wasn't there.

There is no way they would have signed him as any more than a short term fill-in, certainly not the 3 years that the Patriots offered.

call_me_ishmael
11-02-2017, 11:10 AM
No visit, they were either signing him or losing him. They wanted him to the back-up I'm sure.

Fritz
11-02-2017, 11:26 AM
Hundley played poorly against the Saints. Especially for a guy who's been prepping for just such a moment for two years now.

That being said, thank goodness they didn't bring in B. Hoyer.

Kaepernick would be interesting - see what MM could do with him - but the distraction of "bench Hundley" every time he throws an incompletion would be difficult for the team.

Pugger
11-02-2017, 11:01 PM
Hundley played poorly against the Saints. Especially for a guy who's been prepping for just such a moment for two years now.

That being said, thank goodness they didn't bring in B. Hoyer.

Kaepernick would be interesting - see what MM could do with him - but the distraction of "bench Hundley" every time he throws an incompletion would be difficult for the team.

Kaep needs to go to a team that has an offense suited for his skill set - he is a lousy pocket passer. He was a damn fool to turn down the offer SF gave him.

texaspackerbacker
11-03-2017, 06:47 AM
Hoyer would have failed miserably with the Packers poor O Line. So would just about any immobile drop back passer. I hate to say it - because the guy is such a piece of crap in a non-football way, but Colin Kaepernick just might do well for the Packers. He'd be running for his life with the poor blocking - same as Aaron Rodgers did virtually every play of every game. Obviously Kaepernick isn't remotely the passer that Rodgers is (well, maybe he passes slightly better than Rodgers now - with a broken right collarbone). However,Kaepernick at times did show some ability to pass on the run, and of course, he did and probably still could cut loose and run like no other QB.

To be clear, I don't want Kaepernick signed by the Packers, same as I didn't want Hoyer ...... just sayin'.

Draw a line half way between Kaepernick and Aaron Rodgers, and what do you have? Brett Hundley!

Pugger
11-03-2017, 08:05 AM
It appears our OL is now back intact for the first time in eons. I think we'll see a big improvement there on Monday night. How long they'll be one piece is another matter entirely...

Teamcheez1
11-03-2017, 08:14 AM
It appears our OL is now back intact for the first time in eons. I think we'll see a big improvement there on Monday night. How long they'll be one piece is another matter entirely...

The over/under for the O line staying intact is 1 quarter.

gbgary
11-03-2017, 02:34 PM

spoke too soon. lane taylor hurt his ankle in practice. makes him iffy for det.

pbmax
11-03-2017, 03:27 PM
spoke too soon. lane taylor hurt his ankle in practice. makes him iffy for det.

A separate injury or the same one he has had for a while now?

He was a limited participant in both practices this week.

woodbuck27
11-03-2017, 04:23 PM
https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/host.madison.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/a/ef/aef65931-da15-5ce3-99c7-d2bbb46baa70/5951aa5657eed.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C939

" Gee Aaron I'm so happy to be your Backup ! and YES ! I am eating meat. "

George Cumby
11-07-2017, 08:40 PM
In Rodgers first playing time of significance against the Cowboys, you could see the confidence and you knew we had a player. From what little I’ve seen of Hunley that confidence that swagger that moxie the it factor isn’t there. He’s a clunker fish or cut bait. IMO.

mraynrand
11-07-2017, 09:39 PM
In Rodgers first playing time of significance against the Cowboys, you could see the confidence and you knew we had a player. From what little I’ve seen of Hunley that confidence that swagger that moxie the it factor isn’t there. He’s a clunker fish or cut bait. IMO.

I agree. However, Rodgers was a passed over top pick, expected to be at least a solid starter. Hundley is a fifth-rounder expected to maybe be a decent backup. Some thought he was shit (see his scouting report, posted by Maxi every 35 minutes or so)

I was hoping Hundley would be decent. Maybe he still will be, but he obviously needs some time. It would be nice if the defense could help him a little by forcing a punt or two.

pbmax
11-08-2017, 06:47 AM
I don't know about confidence or swagger. Hundley doesn't seem lost, beaten or downtrodden yet. He seems pretty perky and in charge of the huddle.

It took until the Cowboys game of Rodgers second year that people finally bought that he would be good. Let's give Hundley at least five games to get himself, the passing game and M3 straight.

mraynrand
11-08-2017, 06:52 AM
I don't know about confidence or swagger. Hundley doesn't seem lost, beaten or downtrodden yet. He seems pretty perky and in charge of the huddle.

It took until the Cowboys game of Rodgers second year that people finally bought that he would be good. Let's give Hundley at least five games to get himself, the passing game and M3 straight.

that would be third year, right?

pbmax
11-08-2017, 07:30 AM
that would be third year, right?

Wasn't that game mid-2009?

All season there were concerns about holding on to the ball too long and being too indecisive. He was accused of being worried about his stats only and not be willing to throw into tight windows. He often moved his way into trouble in the pocket.

But in that Cowboys game, he and M3 seemed to find a balance.

mraynrand
11-08-2017, 07:44 AM
Wasn't that game mid-2009?

Oh I see what's going on here. I was assuming we were talking about Rodger's stint replacing injured Favre at Dallas in Nov. 2007. A week before that was when I saw Rodgers practice before the Thanksgiving game at Detroit and thought he was a keeper. Then he proved it at Dallas.

pbmax
11-08-2017, 08:08 AM
Oh I see what's going on here. I was assuming we were talking about Rodger's stint replacing injured Favre at Dallas in Nov. 2007. A week before that was when I saw Rodgers practice before the Thanksgiving game at Detroit and thought he was a keeper. Then he proved it at Dallas.

Gotcha. That fill in stint definitely moved the needle for AR with the public.

But there were still lots of complaints about his game into 2009.

But mostly I am contending we gotta give Hundley a few games to get it in gear with and against starters. And while his HC figures out how to help the kid get the ball downfield.

There is a gif of Hundley in the pocket early in the game. Pocket is noisy but clean and NO ONE is in the middle of the field. But Nelson, who probably had a middle of the field route, has noticed the single high safety drifted over to the Offense's right. So Jordy can run a go from the slot and be uncovered for a TD. He raises his hand but Hundley's eyes have come down to the pass rush, looking for an escape lane.

I bet it was a route adjustment and BH didn't quite see it as he was distracted by some pressure that was not imminent. Its going to take a while.

beveaux1
11-08-2017, 08:08 AM

I agree that there was some doubt about whether Rodgers could take this team to the promised land after Favre, and I also agree that Hundley shouldn’t be judged until we’ve seen 4 or 5 games - maybe the Bucs game, but everybody could see Rodgers was an NFL starter from the Cowboys game in 2007 on.

Hundley, in my opinion, has a much lower ceiling. We’re trying to find out if he’s a serviceable back up. Can he be a McCown or a Jim Miller or a Kyle Orton, because at this point he hasn’t shown that he’s much better than Scott Tolzien.

ThunderDan
11-08-2017, 08:57 AM

I saw Arod's wonderful 2006 game against NE at Lambeau Field. Favre got knocked out of the game and in came ARod. He was horrible and broke his foot. He was IRed that week.

I was happy we drafted Brohm and Flynn in 2008 after Favre had retired. I remember thinking he wouldn't be able to hold up to a full season of NFL pounding. Glad I was wrong.

Pugger
11-08-2017, 09:05 AM

He's a career backup. We shouldn't have expected a 5th round pick to be the second coming of Russell Wilson.

Pugger
11-08-2017, 09:07 AM
I agree. However, Rodgers was a passed over top pick, expected to be at least a solid starter. Hundley is a fifth-rounder expected to maybe be a decent backup. Some thought he was shit (see his scouting report, posted by Maxi every 35 minutes or so)

I was hoping Hundley would be decent. Maybe he still will be, but he obviously needs some time. It would be nice if the defense could help him a little by forcing a punt or two.

Yes, Hundley is basically a backup but our current woes are more on the defense than Hundley's struggles. You aren't gonna beat a lot of teams if your defense can't get off the field or force a punt.

Pugger
11-08-2017, 09:09 AM
Gotcha. That fill in stint definitely moved the needle for AR with the public.

But there were still lots of complaints about his game into 2009.

But mostly I am contending we gotta give Hundley a few games to get it in gear with and against starters. And while his HC figures out how to help the kid get the ball downfield.

There is a gif of Hundley in the pocket early in the game. Pocket is noisy but clean and NO ONE is in the middle of the field. But Nelson, who probably had a middle of the field route, has noticed the single high safety drifted over to the Offense's right. So Jordy can run a go from the slot and be uncovered for a TD. He raises his hand but Hundley's eyes have come down to the pass rush, looking for an escape lane.

I bet it was a route adjustment and BH didn't quite see it as he was distracted by some pressure that was not imminent. Its going to take a while.

Not keeping his eyes down field and being too eager to cut and run might be his Achilles's heel.

Maxie the Taxi
11-08-2017, 09:12 AM
Not keeping his eyes down field and being too eager to cut and run might be his Achilles's heel.Time for me to post my Hundley scouting report again. heh heh

texaspackerbacker
11-08-2017, 09:24 AM
The problem - and McCarthy himself said this - isn't Hundley; It's the rest of the team. Thank you Ted Thompson for that. The Packers were Great with Aaron Rodgers because he masked the mediocrity of the rest of the team, personnel-wise. The O Line, the whole defense, especially the DBs, the RBs, and the Receivers - both TEs and WRs.

The other thing about Hundley is they still refused to unleash him - at least until the game was pretty much out of reach. Then he did pretty well.

I don't see him cutting and running all that much; I see him looking down field and not finding anybody who has gotten much of any separation from the D. I also see him rushed horribly on virtually every play - same as Aaron Rodgers always was. There was improvement from the first week to the second - he started using one of Aaron's escape moves. Trouble was, it was always the same one - rolling to the right sideline.

No immobile QB would survive with this awful O Line, and even somebody with athleticism and mobility has a tough time - thank you Ted.

Pugger
11-08-2017, 09:28 AM
The problem - and McCarthy himself said this - isn't Hundley; It's the rest of the team. Thank you Ted Thompson for that. The Packers were Great with Aaron Rodgers because he masked the mediocrity of the rest of the team, personnel-wise. The O Line, the whole defense, especially the DBs, the RBs, and the Receivers - both TEs and WRs.

The other thing about Hundley is they still refused to unleash him - at least until the game was pretty much out of reach. Then he did pretty well.

I don't see him cutting and running all that much; I see him looking down field and not finding anybody who has gotten much of any separation from the D. I also see him rushed horribly on virtually every play - same as Aaron Rodgers always was. There was improvement from the first week to the second - he started using one of Aaron's escape move. Trouble was, it was always the same on - rolling to the right sideline.

No immobile QB would survive with this awful O Line, and even somebody with athleticism and mobility has a tough time - thank you Ted.

Gee, last season folks were touting our OL as one of the best in the league. Hundley is just as mobile as Rodgers. Teams are attacking our offense differently now. Before they would be nuts to stack and box and force the QB to beat them. But that is what they are doing now. Then we end up with 3rd and long and they bring the house and overwhelm both the line and an inexperienced QB.

Don't but much stock into what a coach says publicly to the press. 99% of that is coach-speak.

pbmax
11-08-2017, 09:33 AM
I don't see him cutting and running all that much; I see him looking down field and not finding anybody who has gotten much of any separation from the D.

You have to be joking. He was very skittish in the pocket when pressure showed. He escaped outside and put himself in more jeopardy more than once when he could have stepped up in the pocket.

He needs some time. Both in the pocket but also as an NFL starter.

McCarthy is trying to buy him some time (the latter) by rattling the rest of the roster this week rather than dwell on what they are not getting out of the QB in the passing game after his second start.

texaspackerbacker
11-08-2017, 09:37 AM
You call it skittish in the pocket; I call it the same horrible pass rush that always plagued Rodgers. He's doing what needs to be done with this pathetic O Line and receivers who are being exposed as not as good as Aaron Rodgers made them seem.

Yeah, he needs experience, and he doesn't get it when they keep on such a short leash.

mraynrand
11-08-2017, 11:10 AM
If only Ted would stop hurting linemen.

mraynrand
11-08-2017, 11:14 AM
They definitely need to run the ball, but I think on Monday they were dealing with Taylor's weak ankle, Bak's hammy, no Bennett (remember how well he blocked in addition to dropping passes?) and of course Bulaga lost again. Would be nice to get at least 5 clean pockets off play action.

Tony Oday
11-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Would be nice if MM tried to have a running game and actually call a game to BHs strengths.

mraynrand
11-08-2017, 11:32 AM
I think he tried but they were limited. I think Detroits run defense is better than NO's. And once you're down by two-three scores the run game goes bye bye.

gbgary
11-08-2017, 11:56 AM
he needs two seasons to become just an average qb. this O needs someone way above average to work...at least in the passing game.

esoxx
11-08-2017, 12:03 PM
I don't think Hundley can avoid the rush and chew gum at the same time.

Smidgeon
11-08-2017, 12:45 PM
Not keeping his eyes down field and being too eager to cut and run might be his Achilles's heel.

As it is for any QB who's getting used to the NFL pace and talent. It's the rare exception that jumps in and does that naturally with 300 lb lineman running at you faster than your college WRs could run.

Bossman641
11-08-2017, 02:01 PM
I've been wondering whether hundley has been hurting his trade value with his performances this year and it looks like he has. The espn packers blog has a quote from the elusive "nfl executive" saying that hundley would have fetched a 4th in the spring but nothing now.

Smidgeon
11-08-2017, 02:22 PM
I've been wondering whether hundley has been hurting his trade value with his performances this year and it looks like he has. The espn packers blog has a quote from the elusive "nfl executive" saying that hundley would have fetched a 4th in the spring but nothing now.

I think it's too early to tell. In the spring, a 4th. Now, nothing. In three weeks, who knows? It's a moving target.

beveaux1
11-08-2017, 02:44 PM
I think it's too early to tell. In the spring, a 4th. Now, nothing. In three weeks, who knows? It's a moving target.

I agree. I don't think he ever would have gotten more than a 4th if he didn't play. With improved performances by the end of the season, he might be up to a 3rd.

QBME
11-08-2017, 03:09 PM
I don't think Hundley can avoid the rush and chew gum at the same time.

LOL, I noticed the same thing!

King Friday
11-08-2017, 03:12 PM
Hundley is a horrible QB. He hasn't learned a lick since his UCLA days. The number of sacks he took in college is almost unbelievable, and he had the same penchant for throwing short passes near the line of scrimmage rather than being able to see what was happening downfield and actually bring pressure to bear on the defense. Whoever thought this kid would translate well to the Packer passing attack probably should not be allowed to evaluate QB talent ever again.

After the Saints game, I thought it was McCarthy being too conservative in his game planning. However, after the Lions game, it became very clear that I was incorrect...it actually is as simple as Hundley just not being a capable NFL QB. There were throws to be made downfield on Monday night...and Hundley rarely attempted those throws. Good young QBs will occasionally prove their ability to diagnose a play pre-snap...account for what the defense is trying to do...and beat it. I'm not sure I've seen one instance of that yet from Hundley in 2+ games, which to me is an incredibly bad sign.

MadScientist
11-08-2017, 03:18 PM
Would be nice if MM tried to have a running game and actually call a game to BHs strengths.

Dump-offs to RB's and 2 yard passes are Hundley's strengths. His other strength is looking good against vanilla defenses that aren't really trying, but it's tough for MM to put that into the playbook.

pbmax
11-08-2017, 03:32 PM
They definitely need to run the ball, but I think on Monday they were dealing with Taylor's weak ankle, Bak's hammy, no Bennett (remember how well he blocked in addition to dropping passes?) and of course Bulaga lost again. Would be nice to get at least 5 clean pockets off play action.

Lions are not bad against the run either (10th in DVOA), which did not help.

pbmax
11-08-2017, 03:33 PM
Dump-offs to RB's and 2 yard passes are Hundley's strengths. His other strength is looking good against vanilla defenses that aren't really trying, but it's tough for MM to put that into the playbook.

I think the key is no huddle, 2 minute offense, Hundley calls the plays (pre determined before series) and does mostly pre-snap reads.

beveaux1
11-08-2017, 07:00 PM
A pretty good read on Hundley’s problems. http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/08/packers-qb-brett-hundley-is-handcuffing-mike-mccarthy/amp/?ref=yfp

pbmax
11-08-2017, 07:11 PM
Chicken and egg problem with that Jordy footage. He is under center for that play and was obviously more comfortable from shotgun in the 2 minute drives.

Under center and then play action. Doesn't have much time to read that route. Almost has to be the primary target for that to work.

Rutnstrut
11-08-2017, 10:22 PM
I think he tried but they were limited. I think Detroits run defense is better than NO's. And once you're down by two-three scores the run game goes bye bye.

He bailed on the run before they were way down. If he doesn't see immediate success from it he bails. Hell he bails on the run even when it's successful. He's just not that good of a coach. Without Rodgers in there to make him look good it's obvious to all but the super homers.

woodbuck27
11-08-2017, 10:29 PM
He bailed on the run before they were way down. If he doesn't see immediate success from it he bails. Hell he bails on the run even when it's successful. He's just not that good of a coach. Without Rodgers in there to make him look good it's obvious to all but the super homers.

With Aaron Rodgers out we really see what MM and the Coaching Staff and TT bring to the table.

It's obvious the word to describe that best is = FAIL.

So this will be overall good for Aaron Rodgers and Packer hopes of a Super Bowl; if finally, the Charade is exposed and we see TT and MM Fired.

Then just maybe Aaron Rodgers will have 'a real chance' and a Super Bowl again.

In reality I won't be surprized to see another best word to describe Packers and that possible reality = Denial.

Pride and Ego brought together = Destruction.

George Cumby
11-13-2017, 11:00 AM
I didn't watch the game but Hundleys numbers are better and I saw the highlight reel including the TD pass to The Fresno Fantastic Beast.

That was a nice ball Hundley threw. So. Has he turned a corner or was it just the sun shining on a moose's ass?

Joemailman
11-13-2017, 11:06 AM
I didn't watch the game but Hundleys numbers are better and I saw the highlight reel including the TD pass to The Fresno Fantastic Beast.

That was a nice ball Hundley threw. So. Has he turned a corner or was it just the sun shining on a moose's ass?

We'll see. Shaky 1st half. Pretty good 2nd half. Did it against a respectable Bears defense. Some cause for cautious optimism.

MadScientist
11-14-2017, 09:24 AM

It looked like his velocity and accuracy improved, but the offense was inconsistent because his decision making was suspect. He threw a couple of balls that could have been picked. He doesn't have a lot of pocket awareness so he took a lot of sacks, and missed hot reads. If he's turned a corner, it is from crap to work in progress. He has a way to go before he looks good, but maybe he has a path there.

bobblehead
11-14-2017, 10:52 AM

Thats sarcasm right? I'm having a sheldon Cooper moment.

bobblehead
11-14-2017, 10:55 AM
Whoever thought this kid would translate well to the Packer passing attack probably should not be allowed to evaluate QB talent ever again.

I was probably the same idiot who wanted Rodgers and then said "Let Favre walk, Rodgers is ready"

Pugger
11-14-2017, 10:55 AM
Someone on the radio suggested Hundley played a little more controlled after he tweaked his hammy in this game. It forced him to stay in the pocket and not run at the first sign of pressure. That is an interesting take for sure.

Maxie the Taxi
11-14-2017, 10:58 AM
Someone on the radio suggested Hundley played a little more controlled after he tweaked his hammy in this game. It forced him to stay in the pocket and not run at the first sign of pressure. That is an interesting take for sure.Wow. "Packer hammy" is a training technique. A method to their madness. :-)

pbmax
11-14-2017, 11:01 AM
Wow. "Packer hammy" is a training technique. A method to their madness. :-)

Which reminds me, we should invest in a hamstring care facility near Green Bay. Quick way to make a killing for 7-8 months.

Fritz
11-14-2017, 11:18 AM
One thing I noticed is that when Hundley bolts the pocket, he ends up about twenty yards behind the line of scrimmage. By that point, of course, he has no recourse but to throw it away, or to throw a fifteen-yard pass that will net them minus five on the play, or run for a ten-yard loss. I hope MM is working with the guy on stepping up into the pocket.

Maxie the Taxi
11-14-2017, 11:57 AM
One thing I noticed is that when Hundley bolts the pocket, he ends up about twenty yards behind the line of scrimmage. By that point, of course, he has no recourse but to throw it away, or to throw a fifteen-yard pass that will net them minus five on the play, or run for a ten-yard loss. I hope MM is working with the guy on stepping up into the pocket.I've never seen a QB do that...well, maybe Fran Tarkington, but Randy is no Fran Tarkington.:sad:

Smidgeon
11-14-2017, 12:43 PM
I've never seen a QB do that...well, maybe Fran Tarkington, but Randy is no Fran Tarkington.:sad:

The Packers had another QB known for that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7gPOl_F8HQ

Maxie the Taxi
11-14-2017, 01:51 PM
The Packers had another QB known for that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7gPOl_F8HQhaha Good one. Did Wallace ever do that while wearing green and gold? :-)

Smidgeon
11-14-2017, 01:53 PM
haha Good one. Did Wallace ever do that while wearing green and gold? :-)

I was at the game in the video.

And no. He tore a groin muscle on his first series. If memory serves correctly.

red
11-19-2017, 01:48 PM
so, it seems painfully obvious that brett v 2.0 is not our long term answer to replace a-rod someday like we were led to believe by the coaching staff and packer "reporters"

so now what?

draft a QB a year until we do find one?

woodbuck27
11-19-2017, 01:50 PM
so, it seems painfully obvious that brett v 2.0 is not our long term answer to replace a-rod someday like we were led to believe by the coaching staff and packer "reporters"

so now what?

draft a QB a year until we do find one?

You definitely try something that might give you a REAL Chance and not named Brett Hundley.

gbgary
11-19-2017, 03:21 PM
no more discussion...he's terrible.

pbmax
11-19-2017, 03:25 PM
Still say you have to give him until Rodgers comes back.

gbgary
11-19-2017, 03:36 PM
Still say you have to give him until Rodgers comes back.

sure. there's no need to bring in callahan. hundley can get us to 5-11 just fine by himself.

pbmax
11-19-2017, 05:35 PM
sure. there's no need to bring in callahan. hundley can get us to 5-11 just fine by himself.

They still have an outside shot at playoffs. I could understand putting in Callahan.

But that means you are downgrading your Hundley investment and possibly hurting his future (if he has one).

Weigh that against the odds of sneaking into the playoffs with Rodgers back. Conference is pretty wide open.

However, was anyone wowed by Callahan this preseason and camp?

Maxie the Taxi
11-19-2017, 05:39 PM
They still have an outside shot at playoffs. I could understand putting in Callahan.

But that means you are downgrading your Hundley investment and possibly hurting his future (if he has one).

Weigh that against the odds of sneaking into the playoffs with Rodgers back. Conference is pretty wide open.

However, was anyone wowed by Callahan this preseason and camp?I liked him. He's quicker than Hundley and I think he has a quicker release and stronger arm. He scrambles better. Plus, he brings an excitement to the game.

But what the hell do I know. My only hope is that Stubby isn't on an ego trip and plays whoever gives us the best chance to win. Right now it's not looking to me like that's Hundley.

woodbuck27
11-19-2017, 06:12 PM
http://getworldmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/boeing-crash-plane-crash.jpg

red
11-19-2017, 06:17 PM
I liked him. He's quicker than Hundley and I think he has a quicker release and stronger arm. He scrambles better. Plus, he brings an excitement to the game.

But what the hell do I know. My only hope is that Stubby isn't on an ego trip and plays whoever gives us the best chance to win. Right now it's not looking to me like that's Hundley.

wasn't callahan playing mostly against 3rd stringers and guys who didn't make the nfl?

while brett was playing against 1st and 2nd stringers?

Pugger
11-19-2017, 06:28 PM

And that wouldn't be the worst thing to happen. It might get Capers canned and we'll finally get a chance at a high pick in the draft - a true playmaker.

Maxie the Taxi
11-19-2017, 07:56 PM
wasn't callahan playing mostly against 3rd stringers and guys who didn't make the nfl?

while brett was playing against 1st and 2nd stringers?I don't know. I don't care. I do know that Hundley is not cutting it. I'm not interested in tanking the season, though it might be. I'm interested in seeing if Callahan is any good.

gbgary
11-20-2017, 11:16 AM
And that wouldn't be the worst thing to happen. It might get Capers canned and we'll finally get a chance at a high pick in the draft - a true playmaker.

exactly...and hopefully force a TT retirement!

King Friday
11-20-2017, 12:08 PM
I'd give Hundley another game...simply because it will be against the Steelers and I don't think you want Callahan to be in on that drubbing.

If I were McCarthy, I'd be starting the process of making a change. I can get how some might have held out hope after the Bears game, but this performance Sunday should've removed all doubt about the direction of Hundley's career.

Rodgers has proven to be a guy who get injured on occasion. We need to know what we have at backup QB. Callahan should get playing time in December once the chances of reaching the playoffs mathematically even out with the logical chances we all understand by using our eyeballs.

pbmax
11-20-2017, 12:41 PM
2. Brett Hundley, Packers

Three interceptions, six sacks in a 23-0 Packers loss to the Ravens

If Hundley doesn't like his first read, he lingers in the pocket, begins drifting to his right, and either A) runs directly into a pass-rusher, B) throws a freebie to the defense, or C) throws the ball away while leaping out of bounds.

Calls it the second worst QB effort of the week: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2745019-monday-morning-digest-the-browns-may-go-0-16-is-that-a-good-thing

Pugger
11-20-2017, 01:03 PM
Here is an interesting piece about the perils of finding NFL backup QBs I found on their website today. It was written a couple of years ago.

http://www.nfl.com/qb2

Maxie the Taxi
11-20-2017, 01:14 PM
Here is an interesting piece about the perils of finding NFL backup QBs I found on their website today. It was written a couple of years ago.

http://www.nfl.com/qb2Here's another one and Hill's still a FA. http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/09/27/forget-tebow-is-shaun-hill-the-nfls-best-backup-quarterback/

denverYooper
11-20-2017, 02:35 PM
Calls it the second worst QB effort of the week: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2745019-monday-morning-digest-the-browns-may-go-0-16-is-that-a-good-thing

How was Prescott not on that list? He arguably had a worse game than Hundley.

pbmax
11-20-2017, 02:49 PM

Its a good question since same questions basically apply except draw a line through Rodgers and write in Elliot and Tyron Smith.

red
11-20-2017, 07:48 PM

yeah, he got me fucking negative points

red
11-20-2017, 07:52 PM

i'm guessing that list was done before he played

woodbuck27
11-24-2017, 01:02 PM
Brett Hundley 'Ongoing Discussion':

:bang:...Bench him...BENCH HIM..put him on the bench...Please please Bench him...Please pretty Please Please Bench him. :bang:

:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

Pugger
11-26-2017, 09:57 AM
I'd give Hundley another game...simply because it will be against the Steelers and I don't think you want Callahan to be in on that drubbing.

If I were McCarthy, I'd be starting the process of making a change. I can get how some might have held out hope after the Bears game, but this performance Sunday should've removed all doubt about the direction of Hundley's career.

Rodgers has proven to be a guy who get injured on occasion. We need to know what we have at backup QB. Callahan should get playing time in December once the chances of reaching the playoffs mathematically even out with the logical chances we all understand by using our eyeballs.

I don't blame Ted or Mike for not investing a lot into our backup QB. Most teams with a good or elite QB will spend their roster capital on the rest of the roster. Nobody cared about our backup until the unthinkable happened and now folks are calling for Mike and Ted's heads.

woodbuck27
11-26-2017, 01:15 PM
I don't blame Ted or Mike for not investing a lot into our backup QB. Most teams with a good or elite QB will spend their roster capital on the rest of the roster. Nobody cared about our backup until the unthinkable happened and now folks are calling for Mike and Ted's heads.

This is Brett Hundley's Contract; and there is certainly 'no waste' there:

https://overthecap.com/player/brett-hundley/3995

So what is going to happen after three wasted Seasons and one more to go and Brett Hundley:

This about covers that and MM's FAIL with this hardly qualified Backup QB:

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/38298/no-end-near-for-aaron-rodgers-brett-hundley-will-play-elsewhere-someday

Now back to you and "spend their (TT's and BRASS) roster capital on the rest of the roster:

What about the waste right here and Clay Matthews and whatever LBer he is today? Here's clear WASTE and CAP Space.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/clay-matthews-5670/

The names of former DB Draft Picks Hyde and Hayward are very clear wastes and the Famous BULLSHIT Ted Thompson Draft and Develop under Mike McCarthy and his Coaches Stable Program....NOT !

Two Thumbs Down and that crap out of Ted Thompson's Office.

Ted Thompson absolutely has to go for way too many reasons.

George Cumby
11-26-2017, 10:15 PM
Kid looks composed out there tonight. He’s grown a lot.

pbmax
11-26-2017, 10:43 PM
Now that was a nice gameplan and a good performance out of Hundley. Made some nice reads and throws.

mraynrand
11-26-2017, 10:50 PM
http://getworldmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/boeing-crash-plane-crash.jpg

George Cumby
11-26-2017, 10:53 PM
Lol

Bossman641
11-26-2017, 11:05 PM
Amazing how much better he looked when he's not bailing out back and to the right play after play. He's still a touch slow on some sideline routes but looked real good all in all

woodbuck27
11-26-2017, 11:06 PM
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017112611/2017/REG12/Packers@Steelers?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2017112611#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap30000008 83797&tab=recap

TEAM LEADERS

GREEN BAY PACKERS

Passing...........Cmp.....Att.......Yds.......TDs

B. Hundley........17......26.......245.......3

Brett Hundley looked cool throughout this game and played as well as anyone might ever have expected he might.

A tough loss for this young QB and the Green Bay Packers.

ThunderDan
11-26-2017, 11:10 PM
Amazing how much better he looked when he's not bailing out back and to the right play after play. He's still a touch slow on some sideline routes but looked real good all in all

Yup, biggest change I saw was stepping up into the pocket instead of bailing out the back.

mraynrand
11-26-2017, 11:22 PM
Yup, biggest change I saw was stepping up into the pocket instead of bailing out the back.

It was a shame that Bacteria didn't seem to adjust to it consistently.

pbmax
11-26-2017, 11:32 PM
It was a shame that Bacteria didn't seem to adjust to it consistently.

He was getting worked by Heyward. Bach has some moments where he looks like he is just hanging on, but Heyward was just running past him at times.

Some of it might have been stunts, but he looked out of control.

Guiness
11-27-2017, 11:07 AM

He still sprinted out of the pocket and rolled right too much for my liking, but it was much better. Actually reminded me a little of Rodgers in his first season when we all complained about him having 'happy feet'

Fritz
11-28-2017, 11:19 AM

Before Hundley ever had any meaningful playing time, I thought the guy had real potential to be a very good quarterback in the NFL. I even suggested that if he appeared to be that good, they ought to trade Rodgers for a boatload of picks.

After the Baltimore game, I said that Hundley was a terrible quarterback, especially for a guy who's had two years to watch and learn and figure it out. I couldn't believe that MM would think he was better than signing Kaepernick. I was disappointed with Hundley; he was terrible.

After the Pittsburgh game I am thinking that Hundley has the potential to be a decent, maybe slightly-below average starting NFL QB.

This proves that I have been right about Hundley each time I have assessed him.

Man, am I good.

pbmax
11-28-2017, 11:30 AM
Before Hundley ever had any meaningful playing time, I thought the guy had real potential to be a very good quarterback in the NFL. I even suggested that if he appeared to be that good, they ought to trade Rodgers for a boatload of picks.

After the Baltimore game, I said that Hundley was a terrible quarterback, especially for a guy who's had two years to watch and learn and figure it out. I couldn't believe that MM would think he was better than signing Kaepernick. I was disappointed with Hundley; he was terrible.

After the Pittsburgh game I am thinking that Hundley has the potential to be a decent, maybe slightly-below average starting NFL QB.

This proves that I have been right about Hundley each time I have assessed him.

Man, am I good.

You have overfit your data. You are over explaining the past but performing horribly in predicting the future. We are going to terminate your contract and put red in charge of player development.

Fritz
11-28-2017, 11:33 AM
I predict that if Hundley plays well next week, he is a good quarterback. Maybe great.

If he plays badly, he's shitty and should be cut immediately.

What's wrong with that kind of predicting?

Maxie the Taxi
11-28-2017, 12:37 PM
I want to see Callahan play.

mraynrand
11-28-2017, 04:19 PM
I want to see Callahan play.

Daddy I need to go to the bathroom! Not now, dammit!
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/36800000/tommy-boy-tommy-boy-36867402-883-498.jpg

Maxie the Taxi
11-28-2017, 07:00 PM
LOL

texaspackerbacker
11-28-2017, 08:39 PM

The problem was the Steelers caught on to that in the second half. There were a few times when it seemed like what he had been doing other weeks would have worked better. The kid has been getting better, though.

MadScientist
12-04-2017, 09:59 AM
Brett so far has been decent on the road and sucks ass at Lambeau.

Split Value G W L T Cmp Att Inc Cmp% Yds TD Int Rate Sk Yds Y/A AY/A A/G Y/G Att Yds Y/A TD A/G Y/G TD Pts
Place Home 5 2 3 0 73 122 49 59.84 655 0 5 57.2 12 76 5.37 3.52 24.4 131.0 17 151 8.88 2 3.4 30.2 2 12
Road 3 1 2 0 53 84 31 63.10 614 5 3 90.1 11 68 7.31 6.89 28.0 204.7 4 25 6.25 0 1.3 8.3 0 0

You'd think an inexperienced QB would do better at home where he can use the cadence to his advantage and the team can hear the calls.

gbgary
12-04-2017, 11:00 AM
i hope he saved his money because he will be out of football when he leaves Green Bay.