PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: Week 4 vs. New Orleans

pbmax
10-22-2017, 03:23 PM
Well, did you see anything positive in Hundley?

Not much down the field. Made some decent decisions to throw it away, decent decisions on when to run (seemed to get happy feet about outside tackle pressure in middle of game) and terrible decisions to throw into double coverage.

I have a hard time with the idea that this was Hundley's best offense. I think this was conservative based on beat up O line.

The throws he was best at in preseason were sorely lacking. Lotta stuff to flat for no yards. One nice design of flat pass to Cobb and one nice pass to seam for Bennett.

I think Hundley has more than this to show, but the O line might be getting in the way. 2 deep throws were reported under thrown. The throws to double coverage (three to my count) aren't helping their case.

On the injury front, I don't think they lost anyone else there.

House left the game to make appearance in the tent of mysteries.

Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 2h2 hours ago
Clinton-Dix not on the injury report but hardly did any of the jog-through stuff this week and slow to close on the third-and-long.

pbmax
10-22-2017, 03:23 PM
Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde 12m12 minutes ago
#Packers needed to run the ball well, play well on defense and have Hundley make a few plays and limit mistakes without 12. Got one (Jones).

Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13 11m11 minutes ago
#Packers fall to the #Saints, 26-17. The playoffs seem miles away. Hundley finished 12 of 25 for 87 yards and one INT. Passer rating 39.9

I WOULD SAY HE MISSED HIS TARGET BY MORE THAN A FEW THROWS. DID MAKE SOME PLAYS WITH HIS FEET.

Jason Wilde‏Verified account @jasonjwilde 2m2 minutes ago
McCarthy using strong words (“disgusted” with second half, etc.) But last line was strongest: “Just pin it on the head coach today, OK?”

Joemailman
10-22-2017, 03:25 PM
Marty Bennett led the Packers with 17 receiving yards. These are Jerry Tagge-era type numbers.

Maxie the Taxi
10-22-2017, 03:28 PM
“Just pin it on the head coach today, OK?”[/B]Pretty much nailed it.

beveaux1
10-22-2017, 03:31 PM
Let's face it. In this game, Hundley was not ready for prime time. Jones, on the other hand, looks to be the real deal.

Joemailman
10-22-2017, 03:33 PM
Jason Wilde‏Verified account @jasonjwilde 2m2 minutes ago
McCarthy using strong words (“disgusted” with second half, etc.) But last line was strongest: “Just pin it on the head coach today, OK?”

I think a few people here will be okay with that. :)

red
10-22-2017, 03:42 PM
just remember that mike the next time you have one of those "I'm a good nfl coach, i've won a lot of games" episodes

Maxie the Taxi
10-22-2017, 03:45 PM
Let's face it. In this game, Hundley was not ready for prime time. Jones, on the other hand, looks to be the real deal.Jones has really good running back instincts. Great vision. A knack for twisting out of tackles. Surprising power too. I think he's the best RB we have. I wish they'd throw to him way more.

red
10-22-2017, 03:46 PM
we've been hearing for 2 or 3 years from the team that hundley has "it. the green bay reporters, which are just the propaganda wing of the organization keep telling us the same thing

we haven't seen it, because he barely even plays in the preseason

now we've gotten to see fat mikes protege take over. last week it wasn't pretty. mike says it was because they weren't prepared for him to play

we were told that after a full week of preparation, he would be ready

he was nowhere near ready

have we had smoke blown up our asses all this time? was it just the team and their band of reporters trying to increase his trade value?

Maxie the Taxi
10-22-2017, 03:47 PM
we've been hearing for 2 or 3 years from the team that hundley has "it. the green bay reporters, which are just the propaganda wing of the organization keep telling us the same thing

now we've gotten to see fat mikes protege take over. last week it wasn't pretty. mike says it was because they weren't prepared for him to play

have we had smoke blown up our asses all this time? was it just the team and their band of reporters trying to increase his trade value?He's no Dak Prescott, that's for sure.

woodbuck27
10-22-2017, 03:50 PM
Well, did you see anything positive in Hundley?

Not much down the field. Made some decent decisions to throw it away, decent decisions on when to run (seemed to get happy feet about outside tackle pressure in middle of game) and terrible decisions to throw into double coverage.

I have a hard time with the idea that this was Hundley's best offense. I think this was conservative based on beat up O line.

The throws he was best at in preseason were sorely lacking. Lotta stuff to flat for no yards. One nice design of flat pass to Cobb and one nice pass to seam for Bennett.

I think Hundley has more than this to show, but the O line might be getting in the way. 2 deep throws were reported under thrown. The throws to double coverage (three to my count) aren't helping their case.

On the injury front, I don't think they lost anyone else there.

House left the game to make appearance in the tent of mysteries.

Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 2h2 hours ago
Clinton-Dix not on the injury report but hardly did any of the jog-through stuff this week and slow to close on the third-and-long.

How did Jordy Nelson look today? Was he double covered?

I know he caught just 1 Pass for 13 Yards.

woodbuck27
10-22-2017, 03:53 PM

have we had smoke blown up our asses all this time? was it just the team and their band of reporters trying to increase his trade value?

All of that.

Brett Hundley is going to have a shot in the CFL some day.

He looks like a CFL style QB to me and 'no way' will he succeed in the NFL.

beveaux1
10-22-2017, 04:00 PM

MM is doing his best not to let him be overwhelmed. He's not as far along as Rodgers was when he took over, but he's a 5th round draft pick project. He needs 5 or 6 games of experience before we can say he's a bust.

pbmax
10-22-2017, 04:02 PM
Well M3 and T2 were right about Rodgers when no one in their right mind thought they would be. In fact, most didn't even consider Rodgers early career on par with Hasselback.

So I am willing to give them time on this one. But this season doesn't allow for a lot of time for development.

pbmax
10-22-2017, 04:04 PM
Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde 37m37 minutes ago
McCarthy also said “It’s a crime to say we didn’t show up for 4 quarters.” And took blame for Hundley not being comfortable in the pocket.

Michael Cohen‏ @Michael_Cohen13 25s26 seconds ago
Davon House said the hit from Brice knocked the wind out of him. He felt fine afterward. However, he said his quad was less than 90 percent.

SO HOUSE - LUNG OR DIAPHRAGM, NOT HOUSE - CONCUSSION

Michael Cohen‏ @Michael_Cohen13 43m43 minutes ago
#Packers said Ha Ha Clinton-Dix is not injured. He hasn’t been receiving treatment for anything. The mystery of his poor play continues.

red
10-22-2017, 04:10 PM
Well M3 and T2 were right about Rodgers when no one in their right mind thought they would be. In fact, most didn't even consider Rodgers early career on par with Hasselback.

So I am willing to give them time on this one. But this season doesn't allow for a lot of time for development.

really?

rodgers was being debated as the #1 pick just a few days before the draft, but somehow slipped all the way to us

if you're being discussed as the top overall pick in the draft, you are an elite prospect

red
10-22-2017, 04:12 PM
MM is doing his best not to let him be overwhelmed. He's not as far along as Rodgers was when he took over, but he's a 5th round draft pick project. He needs 5 or 6 games of experience before we can say he's a bust.

how many times have we seem other first time starting QB's light us up over the years? it happens quite a bit

87 yards and a sub 40 QB rating is pathetic no matter what

pbmax
10-22-2017, 04:17 PM
Original Tweet was McCarthy saying "Put it on the coach"

Justin D. Hein‏ @jdhein22
He knows he got out coached and lost and very winnable game bc of it.

Aaron Nagler‏ @AaronNagler 52m52 minutes ago
Agree with this assessment.

woodbuck27
10-22-2017, 04:17 PM
really?

rodgers was being debated as the #1 pick just a few days before the draft, but somehow slipped all the way to us

if you're being discussed as the top overall pick in the draft, you are an elite prospect

Why is anyone talking anything and Aaron Rodgers (compared to) Brett Hundley?

It's like comparing diamonds to coal.

pbmax
10-22-2017, 04:19 PM
really?

So you don't remember the Favre controversy? Or the fact that Rodgers first season preseason games were pretty bad? And that he only had one preseason where he looked even as good as Hasselback did?

I don't remember anyone hanging their hat on the #1 draft pick consideration in 2008.

Joemailman
10-22-2017, 04:20 PM
Why is anyone talking anything and Aaron Rodgers (compared to) Brett Hundley?

It's like comparing diamonds to coal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlkE2Le_RFg

pbmax
10-22-2017, 04:22 PM
My guess is that McCarthy brought the wrong game plan to the game and the Saints knew it soon after the start.

He felt boxed in by new starter and banged up O line and the Saints were ready for the scaled down version.

Anyone else see a lot of 11 personnel with man coverage who were open? They did some bunches but only after Hundley moved them and then twice those bunches produced two receivers running the same route.

pbmax
10-22-2017, 04:33 PM
Jason Wilde‏ @jasonjwilde 15m15 minutes ago
Correcting earlier McCarthy quote: "We had our best week of preparation and it’s a crying shame it didn’t show up today for four quarters."

Pugger
10-22-2017, 04:53 PM

Why not? Let Hundley play the rest of the season and get some experience under his belt. If he shows he can play in this league we might be able to get something for him this offseason. He's not gonna want to hand around GB being Rodgers' understudy the rest of his career if he can start somewhere else.

pbmax
10-22-2017, 04:54 PM
Football Perspective‏ @fbgchase 3m3 minutes ago
Dome Patrol (!) last 4 weeks:
3 TO, 13 points allowed vs. CAR
Shutout vs. MIA
3 net points allowed vs. DET
79 passing yards allowed vs. GB

The Packers threw for 79 yards, just the 5th time since 1992 that Green Bay has thrown for fewer than 80 yards in a game.

The Packers offense gained 65 yards in the second half. That is pathetic.

Brett Hundley has been in the Packers system for 3 years. This was an embarrassing performance. Threw for 3 first downs on 26 drop backs!!

Drew Brees threw two picks, but otherwise had great stats. 41% first down rate. 8.3 Net Yards per Attempt. Saints punted just twice.

Pugger
10-22-2017, 04:57 PM
My guess is that McCarthy brought the wrong game plan to the game and the Saints knew it soon after the start.

He felt boxed in by new starter and banged up O line and the Saints were ready for the scaled down version.

Anyone else see a lot of 11 personnel with man coverage who were open? They did some bunches but only after Hundley moved them and then twice those bunches produced two receivers running the same route.

You might be right - he probably didn't trust Hundley with the entire playbook and held him back and the team suffered because of it. Perhaps Stubby had visions of what happened in2013?

pbmax
10-22-2017, 05:00 PM
Why not? Let Hundley play the rest of the season and get some experience under his belt. If he shows he can play in this league we might be able to get something for him this offseason. He's not gonna want to hand around GB being Rodgers' understudy the rest of his career if he can start somewhere else.

It seems a waste of a 4-2 start, that's why.

beveaux1
10-22-2017, 05:19 PM
It seems a waste of a 4-2 start, that's why.

The 4-1 start ended when Rodgers was injured. We're a completely different team without the all-world QB. We've got an average defense (at best) and an average offense (at best) when Hundley gets some seasoning.

beveaux1
10-22-2017, 05:21 PM
This is an 8-8 team at the end of the season (at best) if Hundley progresses. Before that, the offense is below average so your looking at 4-12 to 6-10.

beveaux1
10-22-2017, 05:24 PM
That last statement means they could win 25% to 38% of their remaining games if Hundley doesn't progress.

QBME
10-22-2017, 05:39 PM
http://i67.tinypic.com/2aj0uup.jpg

Joemailman
10-22-2017, 05:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

ZachMN
10-22-2017, 05:53 PM
My problem is with M3 and the Defense. I can live with the drop off on offense but the d has been a festering sore for years. I'm not even going to go into detail as every aspect of the is a problem from the play calling to the players to the philosophy.

QBME
10-22-2017, 06:14 PM
My problem is with M3 and the Defense. I can live with the drop off on offense but the d has been a festering sore for years. I'm not even going to go into detail as every aspect of the is a problem from the play calling to the players to the philosophy.

Please, go into every aspect.

Half of the D is on the injury list.

The D limited the high flying Saints offense in check damn near every step of the way.

So, we lost. Damn near pulled it off, a bad choice at the end cost.

Please, PLEASE go into every stinkin' aspect.

red
10-22-2017, 06:23 PM
Jason Wilde‏ @jasonjwilde 15m15 minutes ago
Correcting earlier McCarthy quote: "We had our best week of preparation and it’s a crying shame it didn’t show up today for four quarters."

that should sum up fat mikes career minus HOF qb's

red
10-22-2017, 06:25 PM

why would the playbook have to be cut down at all?

the guys been the top backup for 3 years, its not like he just got the playbook last week

he has been, or should have been running all these plays for 3 years

Teamcheez1
10-22-2017, 06:27 PM

The D limited the high flying Saints offense in check damn near every step of the way.

The Saints offense was very mediocre today and still gained 485 yards.

QBME
10-22-2017, 06:39 PM

Yup, for a whoppin' 26 points.

I get it, shoulda, coulda, woulda...

Rutnstrut
10-22-2017, 06:47 PM

This game wasn't nearly as close as you seem to have seen it. Either it's your homerism or something you are smoking, or both.

ZachMN
10-22-2017, 06:51 PM

Are you serious? The D has been a joke for YEARS! You want aspects? Tackling, scheme, talent evaluation, philosophy- that's on Stubby 100%- and their production- yeah we have an epic offense but at the end of the day you need to get teams off the field and ours gets ground up, exploded, picked apart, dinked and dunked-it gets beat IN EVERY ASPECT BY EVERY STYLE OF OFFENSE REGULARLY! It is a fatal flaw.

QBME
10-22-2017, 07:01 PM
This game wasn't nearly as close as you seem to have seen it. Either it's your homerism or something you are smoking, or both.

Eh, prolly somewhere in between. I just look at the scoreboard, time left, down and distance, etc.

Pugger
10-22-2017, 07:03 PM
This is an 8-8 team at the end of the season (at best) if Hundley progresses. Before that, the offense is below average so your looking at 4-12 to 6-10.

Do we really want to end up 8-8? If we aren't gonna go deep into the playoffs what good is 8-8? I'm not saying let's tank but it wouldn't be the worst thing to have highish draft pick for a change to inject more talent in this team for when Rodgers returns in 2018.

woodbuck27
10-22-2017, 07:06 PM
Eh, prolly somewhere in between. I just look at the scoreboard, time left, down and distance, etc.

What happened today would not surprize a large percentage of Packer fans in Packer Nation.

Vegas had the Packers at about 6.5 Point Favourites to defeat New Orleans when Aaron Rodgers was available and this week that totally swung to NO as 6.5 Point Fav's.That's nearly a 2 TD swing.

The Saints came to Lambeau today very HOT. This was the Saints game to lose.

This week I watched a segment on the NFL Network where about six guys were asked about all the Teams chances of making the Playoffs. NOONE said that the Packers would make the playoffs after losing Aaron Rodgers.

It's over for the Packers and this Season.
It is simply what it is and as sad as that is; very highly probably the case.

QBME
10-22-2017, 07:07 PM
Are you serious? The D has been a joke for YEARS! You want aspects? Tackling, scheme, talent evaluation, philosophy- that's on Stubby 100%- and their production- yeah we have an epic offense but at the end of the day you need to get teams off the field and ours gets ground up, exploded, picked apart, dinked and dunked-it gets beat IN EVERY ASPECT BY EVERY STYLE OF OFFENSE REGULARLY! It is a fatal flaw.

Wow, I am now convinced. That is one heck of a dissertation.

QBME
10-22-2017, 07:11 PM
What happened today would not surprize a large percentage of Packer fans in Packer Nation.

Vegas had the Packers at about 6.5 Point Favourites to defeat New Orleans when Aaron Rodgers was available and this week that totally swung to NO as 6.5 Point Fav's.That's nearly a 2 TD swing.

The Saints came to Lambeau today very HOT. This was the Saints game to lose.

This week I watched a segment on the NFL Network where about six guys were asked about all the Teams chances of making the Playoffs. NOONE said that the Packers would make the playoffs after losing Aaron Rodgers.

It's over for the Packers and this Season.

Voice of reason.

pbmax
10-22-2017, 07:57 PM
why would the playbook have to be cut down at all?

the guys been the top backup for 3 years, its not like he just got the playbook last week

he has been, or should have been running all these plays for 3 years

Backups don't practice during the season and they practice mainly with 2nd team. Gonna take some time and a modified offense.

pbmax
10-22-2017, 07:59 PM

That doesn't explain the defense outplaying the offense in 2 of the last five post seasons.

pbmax
10-22-2017, 08:02 PM
Do we really want to end up 8-8? If we aren't gonna go deep into the playoffs what good is 8-8? I'm not saying let's tank but it wouldn't be the worst thing to have highish draft pick for a change to inject more talent in this team for when Rodgers returns in 2018.

I am starting to agree with you. But even if Hundley proves unworthy they are going to get to 6-8 wins.

pbmax
10-22-2017, 08:05 PM
Jason Wilde

He [Ha Ha Clinton Dix] looks hurt. Darren Perry basically admitted it and then backed off. Can't imagine he's regressed. But if you aren't on the INJ report ...

mraynrand
10-22-2017, 08:06 PM

Years ago, I might have agreed, but that losing spirit it devastating. You really can lose guys and a team if they start thinking they're not playing to win. Down that road lies the Cleveland Browns.

mraynrand
10-22-2017, 08:08 PM
Jason Wilde

He [Ha Ha Clinton Dix] looks hurt. Darren Perry basically admitted it and then backed off. Can't imagine he's regressed. But if you aren't on the INJ report ...

C-D turned down some hits. Had a chance to go up and compete and separate receiver from ball and turned it down. Something not right. I thought perhaps it was being worried about letting guys get behind him with replacements out there. Lingering injury would explain a lot.

Zool
10-22-2017, 09:33 PM
Heh, didn’t Hodge from ESPN say on draft day 2008 that Brohm was the Packers QB of the future and Rodgers wouldn’t amount to anything?

Hundley might turn out to be good, he might not. But I guarantee some of the same people here talking shit were saying Rodgers was injury prone and couldn’t play. Telford QBs never amount to anything. He doesn’t have the arm. He dropped in the draft for a reason.

Blah blah blah. Same shit, different year.

Edited for horrible spelling.

bobblehead
10-22-2017, 11:06 PM

Won't or can't?

texaspackerbacker
10-22-2017, 11:24 PM
I'm still gonna defend Hundley. The O Line was as shitty as ever other than opening holes for a couple of running plays on the first series, and our receivers got exposed as being overrated because Rodgers is so good, that and the piss poor play calling of McCarthy.

In addition, New Orleans was a little better than I expected on defense. It must be nice to have a real O Line like they had (and like virtually every team in the league has better than the Packers' O Line).

Pugger
10-22-2017, 11:56 PM
Years ago, I might have agreed, but that losing spirit it devastating. You really can lose guys and a team if they start thinking they're not playing to win. Down that road lies the Cleveland Browns.

I'm not advocating we deliberately tank but if we lose most of the rest of our games it might not be the worst thing.

Carolina_Packer
10-23-2017, 06:21 AM
I'm not advocating we deliberately tank but if we lose most of the rest of our games it might not be the worst thing.

Hundley continuing to perform at yesterday's level will do the trick. :-)

I didn't see the game except on Red Zone, so I didn't really get to see much. Who stopped our running game more New Orleans or McCarthy? Did anyone else think he could have tried sticking to the run more an used it to open up opportunities for the passing game? Was that not possible?

Are we getting the kind of pass rush that will help the back end of the defense? Not sacks but hurries, pressures and hits. Anything to move the QB off his mark. I wasn't seeing much in the limited highlights I was able to see.

mraynrand
10-23-2017, 06:47 AM
^^^ I need to look at the actual numbers, but it didn't seem to me very few passes came off play-action. It's like the Packers forgot that exists. If you can run for close to 200 yards, there's no reason to put Hundley in shotgun or pistol for passes. Run more play-action until Hundley can dissect a defense like Rodgers. At least that might open the middle of the field a little more

pbmax
10-23-2017, 07:50 AM
I'm still gonna defend Hundley. The O Line was as shitty as ever other than opening holes for a couple of running plays on the first series, and our receivers got exposed as being overrated because Rodgers is so good, that and the piss poor play calling of McCarthy.

He had time. Tackles held up well. McCray had trouble a couple of times, usually with stunts, but was not a tire fire. There were opportunities to make throws.

The WRs weren't very open, but that is par for the course. I do think Cobb has gotten healthy enough to be a threat again. Every time they ran four verticals (twice by my count) he got open against safety/slot CB.

pbmax
10-23-2017, 07:52 AM
^^^ I need to look at the actual numbers, but it didn't seem to me very few passes came off play-action. It's like the Packers forgot that exists. If you can run for close to 200 yards, there's no reason to put Hundley in shotgun or pistol for passes. Run more play-action until Hundley can dissect a defense like Rodgers. At least that might open the middle of the field a little more

In the first half, they ran a lot of option out of the gun. Not option as in Nebraska, but QB/RB option. Jones got some yards that way and it was affecting the ILBs.

I *think* his best completion to Bennett was off this, but might be misremembering.

So play action did work because of the dual threat, but they went away from it in second half.

mraynrand
10-23-2017, 08:01 AM
In the first half, they ran a lot of option out of the gun. Not option as in Nebraska, but QB/RB option. Jones got some yards that way and it was affecting the ILBs.

I *think* his best completion to Bennett was off this, but might be misremembering.

So play action did work because of the dual threat, but they went away from it in second half.

I'll have to look again too. Seems like your mixing together two types of options. The QB/RB option actually worked a little - probably would work even better with Kaepernick in there at QB, but maybe Hundley is faster at this point.

What I was taking about is play action passing from under center. I know the Packers run play action off pistol as well, but they were running off single running back look and Hundley under center. Seems like play action would work there and open things up a bit, in the passing game, especially if they aren't going to be able to run the Rodgers offense - especially extended plays and looking for receivers to come open after running primary pattern.

bobblehead
10-23-2017, 08:08 AM

That would be solid for a first year starter. ARod was 6-10 his first year starting off of a 13-3 season. I hope he progresses and we finish 4-4 with him as starter. That would be a win and a feather in MMs cap in my book.

bobblehead
10-23-2017, 08:10 AM

Correct. That happens when your own offense has a lot of 3 and outs and gives a TON of time to the other team.

pbmax
10-23-2017, 08:12 AM
I'll have to look again too. Seems like your mixing together two types of options. The QB/RB option actually worked a little - probably would work even better with Kaepernick in there at QB, but maybe Hundley is faster at this point.

What I was taking about is play action passing from under center. I know the Packers run play action off pistol as well, but they were running off single running back look and Hundley under center. Seems like play action would work there and open things up a bit, in the passing game, especially if they aren't going to be able to run the Rodgers offense - especially extended plays and looking for receivers to come open after running primary pattern.

I get it. He wasn't under center much at all.

But I think had they stuck with that QB/RB mesh run option, they would have been better than dropping back out of the gun like they did in the second half. Even faking that mesh was sucking linebackers up. The problem was that New Orleans began to stuff that run. They faked the offense's left DE out of his shoes and Jones/Monty lost a yard because the dual double teams got buried on the right.

If you could block the optioned defender, I think passing out of it could have helped more.

pbmax
10-23-2017, 08:33 AM
Apropos of nothing, this story about Steve Spurrier at Duke explains a lot about his college and pro career.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMriP1AW4AEtthd.jpg:large

mraynrand
10-23-2017, 08:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dlOwHo_pqA

Joemailman
10-23-2017, 08:56 AM
Randall Cobb:

“It’s going to be important for us to continue to build confidence in him to throw it to us in different situations. There were opportunities. Jordy and Davante got on top all day. There were a few inside as well with myself. We just have to continue to build that chemistry with Brett.”

Mike McCarthy:

“It was a challenge that I didn’t meet today,” McCarthy said. “He didn’t get comfortable in the pocket, and that’s my responsibility. So I did a poor job coaching.’

So was this the case of Hundley not seeing guys downfield because he was worried about the pressure? Do the Packers need to go with more protection?

Cheesehead Craig
10-23-2017, 09:22 AM
My thoughts from being at Lambeau on Sunday:

- Crowd was real loud when Hundley was introduced before the game.
- Jones is fantastic. He really sees the field.
- On the Saints first TD run, the crowd knew that the Packers only had 10 players on the field.
- The Packers defense subbed players rather late and there seemed to be a lot of confusion rather often.
- Brees had all day to throw and the Packers played very soft off the LOS. They are just so afraid of being beat deep. The pass rush was brutal.
- Something is very wrong with Ha-Ha, there were several times he just held up from contact.
- Everybody loves Martinez
- On the play or two before the Pack settled for that awful 59 yd FG try, Cobb had his man beat by 3-4 yds on a post route for an easy TD, but the pressure didn't allow Hundley to see him.
- Quite often the WRs were blanketed. Nobody plays off of them at the LOS. Need to be a lot more picks and double moves.
- Hundley was late on a couple of throws where guys were open but he held the ball too long.
- Rain stopped mid way through the first quarter and there was some drizzle right before half.
- I'm now 0-3 at Lambeau. Someday I'll see that W.

pbmax
10-23-2017, 09:24 AM
Randall Cobb:

Mike McCarthy:

So was this the case of Hundley not seeing guys downfield because he was worried about the pressure? Do the Packers need to go with more protection?

Someone wrote that Hundley is likely more familiar with Davis, Allison (not a coincidence he went in and got targeted twice quickly) and Janis.

Its going to take a little time to learn what is going to be open with each guy. But M3 can send one of Hundley's guys out there to help. Then call Adams/Jordy/Cobb's number.

pbmax
10-23-2017, 09:38 AM
Heard this on radio about Defense:

26 points on 11 Saints possessions. It sounds reasonable. But its pretty poor. If you were to average this over the year, you would be in bottom sixth of League at 2.36 points per drive.

The data here isn't clean, so its an approximation. Things like end of half and kneel downs affect the numbers and when we get year end stats, all this gets sorted.

Its not a tire fire, but its flammable.

call_me_ishmael
10-23-2017, 09:56 AM
The Packers will be looking better when they have Brooks, Matthews and Perry all rushing the passer on 3rd down. It's pretty clear pass rusher is the #1 need of this team in my opinion. I would not object to spending a #1 and a #2 on a pass rusher in the 2018 draft and shoe horning them in to fit on the rest of the plays.

mraynrand
10-23-2017, 09:57 AM
- I'm now 0-3 at Lambeau. Someday I'll see that W.

You drew the wrong conclusion. You don't get to go to any more games. :)

Pugger
10-23-2017, 10:15 AM
You drew the wrong conclusion. You don't get to go to any more games. :)

GMTA ;-)

MadScientist
10-23-2017, 11:16 AM

The NO game made the Packers look like they would struggle to win any more games this season. The one reason going 8-8 or 9-7 would be good for the Packers even if they don't make the playoffs is that it would mean that Hundley starts playing at a high level. If he finishes the season hot, he will be very hot property during the off season. If a crappy team in need of a QB gets shut out of the top college QB's, the Packers may be able to turn Hundley into a very high pick and fill one the big holes they have.

denverYooper
10-23-2017, 11:19 AM
Someone wrote that Hundley is likely more familiar with Davis, Allison (not a coincidence he went in and got targeted twice quickly) and Janis.

Its going to take a little time to learn what is going to be open with each guy. But M3 can send one of Hundley's guys out there to help. Then call Adams/Jordy/Cobb's number.

IIRC, Rodgers had chemistry with Jennings and James Jones from playing with them on the scout team when he stepped into that Cowboys game in 2007. I thought he mentioned at the time that he had spent a lot of time working with those guys and was comfortable throwing to them.

denverYooper
10-23-2017, 11:30 AM
I thought the backbreaker yesterday was the holding call that negated Davis's 45 yard return. After that, the offense got backed up and then the Saints got the ball at midfield to set up the winning score. There's still a good chance they would have lost at the end, but the game likely would have remained close until then.

The penalty to take them out of FG range at the end of the 2nd half didn't help either.

All of these little things get magnified without Rodgers to make up for them.

pbmax
10-23-2017, 11:46 AM
I thought the backbreaker yesterday was the holding call that negated Davis's 45 yard return. After that, the offense got backed up and then the Saints got the ball at midfield to set up the winning score. There's still a good chance they would have lost at the end, but the game likely would have remained close until then.

The penalty to take them out of FG range at the end of the 2nd half didn't help either.

All of these little things get magnified without Rodgers to make up for them.

Twitter is yelling about having a TO left at the end of the half and not throwing again when (with the TO) you could throw to the middle of the field. What do you think?

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/57330/GB_Gamebook.pdf

1-10-GB 19 (1:23) (Shotgun) B.Hundley pass short right to A.Jones to GB 21 for 2 yards (A.Klein).
Timeout #2 by NO at 01:17.

2-8-GB 21 (1:17) (Shotgun) B.Hundley pass short left to A.Jones to GB 25 for 4 yards (K.Vaccaro, A.Okafor).
Timeout #3 by NO at 01:01.

3-4-GB 25 (1:01) (Shotgun) B.Hundley pass short middle to G.Allison to GB 39 for 14 yards (M.Williams, C.Robertson). P10

1-10-GB 39 (:32) (No Huddle, Shotgun) B.Hundley pass incomplete short right to G.Allison.

2-10-GB 39 (:29) (Shotgun) B.Hundley pass incomplete deep left to M.Bennett.
PENALTY on NO-V.Bell, Defensive Pass Interference, 25 yards, enforced at GB 39 - No Play. X11

1-10-NO 36 (:24) (No Huddle, Shotgun) B.Hundley pass incomplete short right to R.Cobb.
PENALTY on NO-K.Crawley, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at NO 36 - No Play. X12

1-10-NO 31 (:18) (Shotgun) B.Hundley pass incomplete short left to R.Rodgers.
PENALTY on GB-R.Rodgers, Offensive Pass Interference, 10 yards, enforced at NO 31 - No Play.

1-20-NO 41 (:13) (Shotgun) B.Hundley pass incomplete short left to A.Jones.

2-20-NO 41 (:06) M.Crosby 59 yard field goal is No Good, Short, Center-T.Pepper, Holder-J.Vogel.

Maybe? Hell of a thing to hang your hat on though. 1 second to pay with. Plus look at Hundley during this drive. 8 passes, 3 complete for 20 yards, two misses got them in field position for FG with 30 yards of penalties. One of those incompletions gave 10 of those back on RichRod's penalty.

I see a lot of ways that goes bad on 3rd down.

mraynrand
10-23-2017, 11:50 AM
IIRC, Rodgers had chemistry with Jennings and James Jones from playing with them on the scout team when he stepped into that Cowboys game in 2007. I thought he mentioned at the time that he had spent a lot of time working with those guys and was comfortable throwing to them.

I watched Rodgers throw to Jennings before the Detroit game that year for almost half an hour. Did the whole tree three time then a lot of special stuff like the side line 'toes in' throws and a lot of back shoulder throws. They looked totally in synch. That's when I first thought Rodgers would be good.

Stubby may have to give Geronimo and Rich Rod or whomever Hundley is more comfy with a few more touches. (But no drops Geronimo!)

denverYooper
10-23-2017, 12:01 PM
I watched Rodgers throw to Jennings before the Detroit game that year for almost half an hour. Did the whole tree three time then a lot of special stuff like the side line 'toes in' throws and a lot of back shoulder throws. They looked totally in synch. That's when I first thought Rodgers would be good.

Stubby may have to give Geronimo and Rich Rod or whomever Hundley is more comfy with a few more touches. (But no drops Geronimo!)

I was hoping we might see a shot or two to Davis but I don't recall him being on the field on offense. Heck, maybe they should look at how NO uses Ginn and steal some of those plays.

King Friday
10-23-2017, 12:06 PM
Let's face it. In this game, Hundley was not ready for prime time. Jones, on the other hand, looks to be the real deal.

To me, both of these items are critical indictments on McCarthy's ability as a head coach.

Hundley was supposed to be a great young QB who could step in and do just as well as Matt Flynn used to. If you have to dial up a game plan that looked more like one from 100 years ago for your #2 QB, then you have the wrong #2 QB. I don't give a crap about the OL or anything else...the Packers are playing to win, and it is basically impossible to win in the modern NFL with only a handful of throws more than 10-15 yards downfield. So McCarthy set the team up for failure.

Jones started the season stashed way down the depth chart, yet he clearly is the best RB we have on the roster. McCarthy wasn't able to see that before injuries finally gave Jones a chance on the field? Either Jones only shows up to play on Sundays (doubtful) or McCarthy does not have the ability to identify talent very well at the RB position.

I think the rest of this season is going to be very poor...because McCarthy really isn't that good of a coach. Rodgers may only get 1 SB appearance in his entire career...and if that happens, I put the entire blame on Stubby.

denverYooper
10-23-2017, 12:20 PM
To me, both of these items are critical indictments on McCarthy's ability as a head coach.

Hundley was supposed to be a great young QB who could step in and do just as well as Matt Flynn used to. If you have to dial up a game plan that looked more like one from 100 years ago for your #2 QB, then you have the wrong #2 QB. I don't give a crap about the OL or anything else...the Packers are playing to win, and it is basically impossible to win in the modern NFL with only a handful of throws more than 10-15 yards downfield. So McCarthy set the team up for failure.

Jones started the season stashed way down the depth chart, yet he clearly is the best RB we have on the roster. McCarthy wasn't able to see that before injuries finally gave Jones a chance on the field? Either Jones only shows up to play on Sundays (doubtful) or McCarthy does not have the ability to identify talent very well at the RB position.

I think the rest of this season is going to be very poor...because McCarthy really isn't that good of a coach. Rodgers may only get 1 SB appearance in his entire career...and if that happens, I put the entire blame on Stubby.

http://cloudfront.sportsgrid.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/bostick.jpg

Patler
10-23-2017, 12:22 PM
Twitter is yelling about having a TO left at the end of the half and not throwing again when (with the TO) you could throw to the middle of the field. What do you think?

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/57330/GB_Gamebook.pdf

1-10-GB 19 (1:23) (Shotgun) B.Hundley pass short right to A.Jones to GB 21 for 2 yards (A.Klein).
Timeout #2 by NO at 01:17.

2-8-GB 21 (1:17) (Shotgun) B.Hundley pass short left to A.Jones to GB 25 for 4 yards (K.Vaccaro, A.Okafor).
Timeout #3 by NO at 01:01.

Sorry pb, because I know this has nothing to do with the point of your post, but the 1st and 2nd down timeouts taken by the Saints struck me. Wasn't there tremendous criticism of McCarthy for having done the same thing on defense at the end of the first half a couple weeks ago?

Joemailman
10-23-2017, 12:23 PM

Not Jennings. He was a starter from day one. Maybe Jones. I know Ruvell Martin was one of his favorites on the scout team.

pbmax
10-23-2017, 12:39 PM
Sorry pb, because I know this has nothing to do with the point of your post, but the 1st and 2nd down timeouts taken by the Saints struck me. Wasn't there tremendous criticism of McCarthy for having done the same thing on defense at the end of the first half a couple weeks ago?

Yep.

And it nearly cost New Orleans 3 points here.

ThunderDan
10-23-2017, 12:47 PM

It's like ever couple of weeks, all season long, every season.

mraynrand
10-23-2017, 01:27 PM

Want to hear the most annoying sound in the world?

https://www.totalpackers.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/C52iKFCVMAQi6Us.jpg

579!

(Capers feels left out)

beveaux1
10-23-2017, 01:27 PM

Not sure I agree with this. I think it will take a minimum of 4 games to get Hundley playing at full speed. I can't blame MM that Rodgers was taking 100% of the snaps during the season and Hundley only takes scout team snaps. The only game action Hundley has had is preseason in 2 of the 3 prior years against vanilla defenses playing mainly with our backups. The CBA even limits practice reps before the season and during the season. We'll have a better feel for Hundley around the Ravens or Steelers game.

Also, I think Jones didn't play because his pass protection was not supposed to be as good as Williams. Montgomery is the more dynamic receiver and with Rodgers at QB, the more dynamic receiver would be preferred. I think our needs have changed since Rodgers' injury. Now we need the more explosive runner to take pressure off Hundley.

pbmax
10-23-2017, 01:45 PM
Monty was over 5 yards a carry last year. There is a reason you never would have known about Jones if Monty doesn't take a shot in the ribs.

Jones is a more natural back, especially running between the tackles. But the idea that Monty is now worthless is an over-reaction.

Job #1 is keeping Rodgers upright. Jones needed work.

pbmax
10-23-2017, 01:45 PM
Monty was over 5 yards a carry last year. There is a reason you never would have known about Jones if Monty doesn't take a shot in the ribs.

Jones is a more natural back, especially running between the tackles. But the idea that Monty is now worthless is an over-reaction.

pbmax
10-23-2017, 02:03 PM
M3 PC

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 33s33 seconds ago
McCarthy: We'll work on self-scout. We'll start on the Detroit plan next Tuesday.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 35s35 seconds ago
McCarthy on practicing this week: With CBA it's not possible to practice this week to help Hundley out. Can start next Tuesday.

THAT DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT, DON'T RECALL BYE WEEK RULES IN CBA, THOUGH IN SEASON IS LIMITED FOR PADS

Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 1m1 minute ago
"Stating the obvious" that there's more on the bye week to-do list for the coaches, McCarthy says.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 1m1 minute ago
McCarthy; Yesterday was a starting point. Showed how important to do the little things. At half didn't think we played that well.

Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 15s15 seconds ago
"He will do better," MM says of Hundley. having only 50 plays was a factor.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 32s32 seconds ago
McCarthy on Hundley: Have to look at opportunities. He will do better. His issues were more in time clock, timing. We'll be better next time

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 54s55 seconds ago
McCarthy: Hundley wasn't given a lot of opportunities. Maybe if defense gets off field a few more times he has more opportunities.

Green Bay Packers @packers 3m3 minutes ago
McCarthy on Brett Hundley: I feel the same way today as I did going into the week. I know this young man & I believe in him.

Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13 1m1 minute ago
McCarthy said nobody should be surprised that he took the blame for yesterday's loss. He says that's what coaches do for their players.

Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13 29s30 seconds ago
McCarthy said he told the team before the Minnesota game that they weren't practicing the right way. Things improved last week, still lost.

INTERESTING JUXTAPOSITION

pbmax
10-23-2017, 02:14 PM
Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13 2m2 minutes ago
McCarthy said the game plan against the Saints wasn't as big as the game plan against the Vikings. "And frankly, it's going to get smaller."

OH GOODY

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 2m2 minutes ago
More
McCarthy: We need to be more creative. We have to fit the time clock to the perimeter. Nelson, Adams, Cobb have to touch the ball.

OK

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 4m4 minutes ago
McCarthy: We haven't been very good the last two weeks. Told them they weren't practicing well and it was going to bite us.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 4m4 minutes ago
McCarthy: What's conservative? We had the ball 50 plays. How many dropbacks did he have? Action, footwork was perfect, but protection failed

TODAYS OPERATION IRRITATION THREAT LEVEL IS ORANGE

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 7m7 minutes ago
McCarthy: Ty Montgomery outstanding football player. Never a one-man job. He's still a big part of the offense.

Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13 6m6 minutes ago
McCarthy said the communication was not good enough on defense yesterday. Injuries in secondary have complicated substitution patterns.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 6m6 minutes ago
McCarthy: Injury had an impact on the 10-men on the field play.

Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13 3m3 minutes ago
McCarthy said he has regular contact with Aaron Rodgers, who is on IR because it's an 8-week injury minimum. "Could be lost for the season."

pbmax
10-23-2017, 02:37 PM
CAPERS PC

Tom Silverstein‏Verified account @TomSilverstein 11m11 minutes ago
Capers on HHCD: He's had a lot more on his plate. You get used to playing with Morgan... HaHa has picked up his responsibilities

Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 15m15 minutes ago
Getting healthy will help consistency for Kevin King. (Played so well vs. Atlanta but poorly yesterday.)

Tom Silverstein‏Verified account @TomSilverstein 17m17 minutes ago
Capers: Played more man than zone because of all the screens. Ran three screens on us first series. We didn't play with good enough leverage

Michael Cohen‏Verified account @Michael_Cohen13 17m17 minutes ago
Capers said the loss of Jake Ryan in the third quarter left them with just one linebacker — Blake Martinez — plus safety Josh Jones.

Michael Cohen‏Verified account @Michael_Cohen13 21m21 minutes ago
#Packers DC Dom Capers said the inability to get off the field on third and long was evident early in the game. Bit them later, too.

Michael Cohen‏Verified account @Michael_Cohen13 11m11 minutes ago
Capers said the defense had far more missed tackles against Minnesota than New Orleans. But against NO there were leverage issues instead.

PACKER REPORT AGREES, HAD DOUBLE DIGIT MISSES VERSUS MN, 5 OR 6 VS NO

pbmax
10-23-2017, 02:59 PM
Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 16m16 minutes ago
"Exactly" Zook says of it being right call against GB on the muffed punt yesterday vs. wrong call on Davis' muffed punt at Titans last year.

DEAR ROD, EXACTLY WHO'S SIDE ARE YOU ON ANYWAY?

red
10-23-2017, 03:22 PM
CAPERS PC

Tom Silverstein‏Verified account @TomSilverstein 11m11 minutes ago
Capers on HHCD: He's had a lot more on his plate. You get used to playing with Morgan... HaHa has picked up his responsibilities

Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 15m15 minutes ago
Getting healthy will help consistency for Kevin King. (Played so well vs. Atlanta but poorly yesterday.)

Tom Silverstein‏Verified account @TomSilverstein 17m17 minutes ago
Capers: Played more man than zone because of all the screens. Ran three screens on us first series. We didn't play with good enough leverage

Michael Cohen‏Verified account @Michael_Cohen13 17m17 minutes ago
Capers said the loss of Jake Ryan in the third quarter left them with just one linebacker — Blake Martinez — plus safety Josh Jones.

Michael Cohen‏Verified account @Michael_Cohen13 21m21 minutes ago
#Packers DC Dom Capers said the inability to get off the field on third and long was evident early in the game. Bit them later, too.

Michael Cohen‏Verified account @Michael_Cohen13 11m11 minutes ago
Capers said the defense had far more missed tackles against Minnesota than New Orleans. But against NO there were leverage issues instead.

PACKER REPORT AGREES, HAD DOUBLE DIGIT MISSES VERSUS MN, 5 OR 6 VS NO

more pad levels?

mraynrand
10-23-2017, 03:26 PM
leverage does not equal pad level, but they both belong to the broad category of murky coach-speak excuse-making code language that most often means 'we cocked it up but we don't really want to explain it to you morons'

pbmax
10-23-2017, 03:30 PM
Leverage is actually a concept very important in both run and pass defense. Like anything else, it can be used to obscure or hide things.

Pad level was used so often it was funny AND it seems very dependent on the height of the player. Its no coincidence that the best pad level in a decade belongs to 5' 9" Aaron Jones.

QBME
10-23-2017, 04:10 PM
Article 24 ?

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

Regards time, place and amounts of padded practices, AKA live fire.

Don't know for sure, but seems to fit.

Maxie the Taxi
10-23-2017, 04:17 PM
M3 PCTom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 35s35 seconds ago
McCarthy on practicing this week: With CBA it's not possible to practice this week to help Hundley out. Can start next Tuesday.

THAT DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT, DON'T RECALL BYE WEEK RULES IN CBA, THOUGH IN SEASON IS LIMITED FOR PADS

On the broadcast of the late game last night, one of the announcers said that most teams don't practice (in pads?) on Fridays, but New England does. I think he said that works out to many, many hours of practice more for New England over the whole season. It's why they are so well prepared.

You know I was thinking that maybe the owners and players shot themselves in the foot by negotiating all these practice rules in the CBA. It's probably affecting the quality of product that's put on the field Sundays and might also have something to do with all the injuries. Ultimately, both wind up diminishing interest in the games and NFL attendance/profits suffer.

mraynrand
10-23-2017, 04:36 PM
On the broadcast of the late game last night, one of the announcers said that most teams don't practice (in pads?) on Fridays, but New England does. I think he said that works out to many, many hours of practice more for New England over the whole season. It's why they are so well prepared.

You know I was thinking that maybe the owners and players shot themselves in the foot by negotiating all these practice rules in the CBA. It's probably affecting the quality of product that's put on the field Sundays and might also have something to do with all the injuries. Ultimately, both wind up diminishing interest in the games and NFL attendance/profits suffer.

So this is the Maxie-pads argument?

mraynrand
10-23-2017, 04:39 PM
Job #1 is keeping Rodgers upright.

Just have him lay off the Everclear.

Maxie the Taxi
10-23-2017, 04:41 PM
So this is the Maxie-pads argument?LOL I guess that makes me a real douche bag! hahaha

pbmax
10-23-2017, 04:52 PM

Many teams have substituted Saturday for Friday. Total number of padded practices are the same for all teams. So its not a net gain. Supposed to allow for peak performance on Sunday.

pbmax
10-23-2017, 04:53 PM
Article 24 ?

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

Regards time, place and amounts of padded practices, AKA live fire.

Don't know for sure, but seems to fit.

That's it, mandated four days off, Thursday through Sunday.

Article 24
Section 2.
Bye Weeks: During any regular season bye week period occurring during the term of this Agreement, players will be given a minimum of four consecutive days off. Such four-day period must include a Saturday and a Sunday unless the Club is scheduled to play a game on the Thursday following the bye week, in which case players may be required to report to the Club on the Sunday preceding the Thursday game. In such an event, the four-day period shall be Wednesday through Saturday. Any injured player may be required to undergo medical or rehabilitation treatment during such four-day period provided that such treatment is deemed reasonably necessary by the Club’s medical staff.

pbmax
10-23-2017, 05:03 PM
Ben Fennell‏ @BenFennell_NFL 3h3 hours ago

#Packers 20+ runs...

Weeks 1-6: 1 run, 0 TDs
Week 7 vs NOR: 3 runs, 1 TD

mraynrand
10-23-2017, 05:13 PM

You take Thursday through Sunday off, or you're effing out of football!!

Maxie the Taxi
10-23-2017, 05:27 PM
Many teams have substituted Saturday for Friday. Total number of padded practices are the same for all teams. So its not a net gain. Supposed to allow for peak performance on Sunday.So the announcer was wrong. It was probably Collingsworth.

Anyway, my point's still valid, isn't it? These millionaire players are featherbedding!

Cheesehead Craig
10-23-2017, 05:46 PM

Jones did a great job blocking yesterday from what I saw.

QBME
10-23-2017, 06:13 PM

Dammit, hate when facts get in the way of an interesting and intelligent conversation.

pbmax
10-24-2017, 07:25 AM
Jones did a great job blocking yesterday from what I saw.

He knocked his guy down once even while falling himself.

He's willing and that is half the battle.

Pugger
10-24-2017, 08:23 AM
Over on Footballs Future there is a great thread in the Packers' subforum of a poster breaking down Hundley's plays in Sunday's game. There were some nice plays called by Stubby that Hundley missed on.

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/3708-brett-on-brett-no-hundley-breakdown/

Teamcheez1
10-24-2017, 08:34 AM
Saw this quote from MM yesterday:

McCarthy added: "You know, Madden Football screwed this whole thing up. It was a much better gig before. Everybody knows football so well now.

We know where the game plan and halftime adjustments come from now.

mraynrand
10-24-2017, 08:38 AM
sounds like sarcasm to me! Stubby gettin' testy. I'm betting that Golden Corral buffet didn't go down so well Sunday night...

pbmax
10-24-2017, 08:58 AM
Over on Footballs Future there is a great thread in the Packers' subforum of a poster breaking down Hundley's plays in Sunday's game. There were some nice plays called by Stubby that Hundley missed on.

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/3708-brett-on-brett-no-hundley-breakdown/

Nice clips they have.

I forgot that Nelson went in motion on that Cobb/Jones Read Option and that Adams 8 yard catch on 3rd and 18 was a crossing route.

There is always hope.

Smidgeon
10-24-2017, 11:39 AM

You're linking to another forum??? :whaa: You're in trouble now. Mad's gonna ban you.... :-)

Patler
10-24-2017, 12:20 PM
I listened to the game on Sunday, just watched the end of it this morning. As inconsistent as Hundley and the offense were, they still lead 17-16 with 14:46 to go in the game. Following a kickoff, NO had the ball at their own 14. The game was there to be won.

The defense did nothing to win the game.
The offense did nothing to win the game.
STs negated a decent kickoff return with a penalty to put the offense at their own 10 yard line, and had a penalty on a punt.

Embarassing 4th quarter for the entire team.

woodbuck27
10-24-2017, 12:27 PM
You're linking to another forum??? :whaa: You're in trouble now. Mad's gonna ban you.... :-)

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/lazy-nap-mexican-guy-sleeping-grunge-car-19570426.jpg

Where is Madtownpacker?

woodbuck27
10-24-2017, 12:46 PM
I listened to the game on Sunday, just watched the end of it this morning. As inconsistent as Hundley and the offense were, they still lead 17-16 with 14:46 to go in the game. Following a kickoff, NO had the ball at their own 14. The game was there to be won.

The defense did nothing to win the game.
The offense did nothing to win the game.
STs negated a decent kickoff return with a penalty to put the offense at their own 10 yard line, and had a penalty on a punt.

Embarassing 4th quarter for the entire team.

I don't understand what happened with the solid players on 'O'? Where was the play calling and these guys?

Why weren't there more plays to WR's Jordy Nelson, Devanta Adams, Randall Cobb and even Martellus Bennett?

Where are the 10-20 yards crossing routes and shallow Hook Patterns? What happened to the Screen Pass?

It's pretty obvious now that Aaron Jones is the REAL RB and that he has good hands and can even attempt and complete Blocks. Clearly Aaron Jones is our NO. 1 RB. Still MM has to somehow use TY Montgomery in passing plays when the opposing teams Safety is drawn to the LOS and get the ball to him over the top of the LBers.

Why not use an Offensive set splitting Aaron Jones and Ty Montgomery to draw the opposing teams 'D' to the outside and then use Aaron Ripkowski to run through the middle?

Where's Mike McCarthy's imagination and any real hope of winning a football game?

I get the part and Brett Hundley and Conservative to protect the ball (Picks).I get not showing us much of an arm and the deep pass. All the same Brett Hundley has to pass for more than 150 yards in the NFL to have any decent chance of winning and < 100 Yards = ridiculous play calling.

mraynrand
10-24-2017, 01:02 PM
Why not use an Offensive set splitting Aaron Jones and Ty Montgomery to draw the opposing teams 'D' to the outside and then use Aaron Ripkowski to run through the middle?

because he will fumble.

Patler
10-24-2017, 01:08 PM
I don't understand what happened with the solid players on 'O'? Where was the play calling and these guys?

Why weren't there more plays to WR's Jordy Nelson, Devanta Adams, Randall Cobb and even Martellus Bennett?

Where are the 10-20 yards crossing routes and shallow Hook Patterns? What happened to the Screen Pass?

It's pretty obvious now that Aaron Jones is the REAL RB and that he has good hands and can even attempt and complete Blocks. Clearly Aaron Jones is our NO. 1 RB. Still MM has to somehow use TY Montgomery in passing plays when the opposing teams Safety is drawn to the LOS and get the ball to him over the top of the LBers.

Where's Mike McCarthy's imagination and any real hope of winning a football game?

I get the part and Brett Hundley and Conservative to protect the ball (Picks).I get not showing us much of an arm and the deep pass. All the same Brett Hundley has to pass for more than 150 yards in the NFL to have any decent chance of winning and < 100 Yards = ridiculous play calling.

To be honest, I am more frustrated with the D and STs. The O lost it's leader, yet they put together an effective running game. At times Hundley did some good things. I didn't expect much more. They had a lead to start the 4th quarter, and NO was at their own 14. A stop by the D could have given GB some control. it took them 60 yards to make the "stop", holding the saints to a FG. The possession was only 8 plays, yet Matthews and Perry apparently had to be rested for a couple of the big ones. If these guys are worth their salaries, where were they?

mraynrand
10-24-2017, 01:17 PM
To be honest, I am more frustrated with the D and STs. The O lost it's leader, yet they put together an effective running game. At times Hundley did some good things. I didn't expect much more. They had a lead to start the 4th quarter, and NO was at their own 14. A stop by the D could have given GB some control. it took them 60 yards to make the "stop", holding the saints to a FG. The possession was only 8 plays, yet Matthews and Perry apparently had to be rested for a couple of the big ones. If these guys are worth their salaries, where were they?

I hear ya. But I did see Khalil Mack on the sideline for a critical play the other night too.

pbmax
10-24-2017, 01:45 PM
75 plays on Defense versus 50 on offense and missing Brooks has costs.

woodbuck27
10-24-2017, 01:50 PM

The Packer 'O' was bad on 3rd Downs. The Packer Passing Game wasn't at all adequate to ever imagine competing in the NFL. The Offensive Game Plan wasn't at all adequate.

New Orleans Stat's Vs Green Bay

Total First Downs 25 Total First Downs 16
By Rushing 7 By Rushing 8
By Passing 16 By Passing 4
By Penalty 2 By Penalty 4

Third Down Efficiency 8/15 - 53% Third Down Efficiency 4/11 - 36%

Fourth Down Efficiency 1/1 - 100% Fourth Down Efficiency 0/0 - 0%

Total Net Yards 485 Total Net Yards 260

Total Rushing/Passing Plays (includes Sacks) 75 Total Rushing/Passing Plays (includes Sacks) 50

Average Gain per Offensive Play 6.5 Average Gain per Offensive Play 5.2

Net Yards Rushing 161 Net Yards Rushing 181

Total Rushing Plays 36 Total Rushing Plays 24

Average Gain per Rushing Play 4.5 Average Gain per Rushing Play 7.5

Tackled for a Loss (Number-Yards) 2--5 Tackled for a Loss (Number-Yards) 3--6

Net Yards Passing 324 Net Yards Passing 79

Times Sacked (Number-Yards) 1 - 7 Times Sacked (Number-Yards) 1 - 8

Gross Yards Passing 331 Gross Yards Passing 87

Pass Comp-Att-Int 27 - 38 - 2 Pass Comp-Att-Int 12 - 25 - 1

King Friday
10-26-2017, 11:50 AM

Sorry PB...but you are kind of missing a guy on the depth in between these two. That is where I view Stubby's mistake and judge his ability on determining (and utilizing) RB talent.

pbmax
10-26-2017, 01:01 PM
Sorry PB...but you are kind of missing a guy on the depth in between these two. That is where I view Stubby's mistake and judge his ability on determining (and utilizing) RB talent.

Perhaps, but they probably just liked the security of having a better blocker available.

texaspackerbacker
10-27-2017, 01:01 PM
Montgomery showed quickness and power last season to get good yardage when a hole opened. Jones showed better quickness, but more significantly this season, he showed that he could innovate - bounce or reverse his field or whatever and gain good yards when there was no hole, as happens so often with our O Line.

Just the same, keeping Montgomery is obvious, considering the possibility of injury to Jones. I'd like to see some use of Davonte Mays also. He looked pretty good in the preseason.

Fritz
10-27-2017, 04:03 PM
"Hundley wasn't given a lot of opportunities. Maybe if defense gets off field a few more times he has more opportunities."

Uh oh. When the head coach starts saying things like this, maybe the defensive coordinator better start planning his retirement.

I did not think Hundley played well, and after two-and-a-half years of Hundley watching and practicing, I expected better. He's not some rookie being tossed in the fire. After all, MM got all pissed when someone asked him about signing CK, saying MM's got three years wrapped up in Hundley. I didn't see a guy that looked prepared.

The defense was awful in the fourth quarter, too. There is just no pass rush whatsoever. When NO would get stopped on first and second down, I always thought it was no big deal because Brees could easily get big chunks of yards on third down. And he often did.

This team is in a funk. They need to snap out of it or it will be a long, awful season.

woodbuck27
10-28-2017, 08:45 PM
"Hundley wasn't given a lot of opportunities. Maybe if defense gets off field a few more times he has more opportunities."

Uh oh. When the head coach starts saying things like this, maybe the defensive coordinator better start planning his retirement.

I did not think Hundley played well, and after two-and-a-half years of Hundley watching and practicing, I expected better. He's not some rookie being tossed in the fire. After all, MM got all pissed when someone asked him about signing CK, saying MM's got three years wrapped up in Hundley. I didn't see a guy that looked prepared.

The defense was awful in the fourth quarter, too. There is just no pass rush whatsoever. When NO would get stopped on first and second down, I always thought it was no big deal because Brees could easily get big chunks of yards on third down. And he often did.

This team is in a funk. They need to snap out of it or it will be a long, awful season.

Yes.

Pugger
10-29-2017, 08:53 AM
Maybe with Rodgers gone the entire world will finally see we need a new direction on defense. We can only hope...