PDA

View Full Version : Studs And Duds - Packers vs. Saints

Joemailman
10-22-2017, 05:41 PM
Studs

Kenny Clark - 5 Tackles, blocked an extra point, chased down a screen - best player on defense

Aaron Jones - 131 yards rushing, 1 TD. The real deal.

Blake Martinez - 16 tackles, 13 solo. A tackling machine.

Duds

Brett Hundley - No all his fault, but 85 yards passing on 25 attempts is terrible.

King and HHCD - Way too much space between these 2 too often.

Mike McCarthy - Failed to develop a game plan to suit his QB.

Rutnstrut
10-22-2017, 06:05 PM
Duds= Stubby, can't really coach for shit when he is behind the 8 ball.

red
10-22-2017, 06:20 PM
duds fox

in what could have been the biggest play of the day

the camera was stuck on the saints sideline when clark blocked the xp attempt. then they didn't even show a replay until coming back from commercials

woodbuck27
10-22-2017, 06:34 PM
Studs

Kenny Clark - 5 Tackles, blocked an extra point, chased down a screen - best player on defense

Aaron Jones - 131 yards rushing, 1 TD. The real deal.

Blake Martinez - 16 tackles, 13 solo. A tackling machine.

Duds

Brett Hundley - No all his fault, but 85 yards passing on 25 attempts is terrible.

King and HHCD - Way too much space between these 2 too often.

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-and-events/article-1/Quotes-from-Green-Bay-Packers-Head-Coach-Mike-McCarthy-on-Oct-18-/9d9eb252-6740-4ccc-834a-d4575c539730

Quotes from Green Bay Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy on Oct. 18 .....Posted Oct 18, 2017

By NewOrleansSaints.com

Question: With Brett (Hundley), obviously he’s knows the system but what are the challenges getting him prepared to start now?

“It’s like any normal week here. You sit there and grind away on what the opponent’s going to do or what you think they’re going to do and how they do it. You get into that but by the end of it you have to focus on how you’re going to play the game and that’s the reality of it too. This is a big challenge. The Saints are a hot football team. They are playing extremely well each and every week, you can see it building over the last three weeks so we understand that. Just the way Drew (Brees) and the offense is rolling. I like the way they’re playing on special teams too. We’re just focusing on what this opportunity is and at the end of the day we feel like we have go out there and play our best football to win the game.” ...Mike McCarthy

Comment woodbuck27:

It doesn't appear to me like Mike McCarthy seems very encouraged and a 'W' at this stage of Week 7; or is MM simply a Master of the standard cliche?

" .... We’re just focusing on what this opportunity is and at the end of the day we feel like we have go out there and play our best football to win the game.” Mike McCarthy

Question: On Brett (Hundley), how might his skillset be similar or different from (Aaron) Rodgers?

“I think it’s fair and realistic to not compare guys to Aaron (Rodgers). Aaron has the, in my opinion, complete skillset. He can similar play in the pocket, out of the pocket. There isn’t a throw in football he doesn’t make. He plays the game cerebrally on a high level. It’s important for Brett to run the offense and play it to our strengths. It’s really to the plan we have in place for this week.” Mike McCarthy

After the loss to New Orleans:

Jason Wilde‏ @jasonjwilde 15m15 minutes ago
Correcting earlier McCarthy quote: "We had our best week of preparation and it’s a crying shame it didn’t show up today for four quarters."

Comment woodbuck27:

What is it Mike McCarthy?

Mike McCarthy makes excuses during the week and before the game and follows up after todays loss with an excuse. ." We had our best week of preparation..it's a crying shame it didn't show up today for four quarters" MM

Why not simply say something like... ' we lost to a Hot Saints Team today and we have a bye week to get hopefully healthier and we'll be ready to defeat the Detroit Lions when they are at Lambeau Field in Week 9 '.

Pugger
10-22-2017, 07:08 PM
Studs:

A.Jones
Clark
Martinez
Vogel

Duds:

King
J. Jones
Ha Ha
Davis - for running back kickoffs
WRs - how come they can't get open? Perhaps now we know why Rodgers holds onto the ball so long.
Entire coaching staff - why put all of the blame on just Stubby?

woodbuck27
10-22-2017, 07:37 PM
If I was the Man that pulled the strings in Green Bay and became aware of this quote from Mike McCarthy:

" We had our best week of preparation..it's a crying shame it didn't show up today for four quarters" MM

I would call Mike McCarthy into my office and ask Mike McCarthy if he 'in fact' was quoted correctly?

If MM said yes that's what I said.

I would then ask MM to PLEASE with the best of his ability explain to me how in HELL he could have "the best week of preparation.." and NO Aaron Rodgers?

After he stumbled over that response or got pissed off or whatever (maybe even partially destroyed my office) hahahaha.

I would say to Mike McCarty if I ever learn of any more BULLSHIT like that ....YOUR FIRED !

Teamcheez1
10-22-2017, 07:43 PM
Studs:

A.Jones
Clark
Martinez
Vogel

Duds:

King
J. Jones
Ha Ha
Davis - for running back kickoffs
WRs - how come they can't get open? Perhaps now we know why Rodgers holds onto the ball so long.
Entire coaching staff - why put all of the blame on just Stubby?

How could you leave Hundley off the duds? He played horribly.

mraynrand
10-22-2017, 08:13 PM

I disagree with this one. I think the gameplay was ideally suited for Hundley. I think Stubby looked at the O-line and Hundley and basically figured he couldn't run his normal passing offense. Hopefully after the bye they will have some more stuff in there to stretch the D.

The Shadow
10-22-2017, 08:43 PM
Dud :
Dom Capers. How long will it take before the Packers realize this guy can't eveb field an AVERAGE defense?

mraynrand
10-22-2017, 08:49 PM
Dud :
Dom Capers. How long will it take before the Packers realize this guy can't eveb field an AVERAGE defense?

They finished 11th, 13th, and 12th in points allowed in 2012, 2014, and 2015 respectively. Those are all above average. Reset your parameters and try again.

mraynrand
10-22-2017, 08:54 PM
Looks like people have lost interest in other games, but ATL is on a trajectory to be 3-3 unless they get going in NE. And they brought in the defensive guru to get over the hump!

mraynrand
10-22-2017, 09:04 PM
If only the Packers had Denver's defense, they would have won toda--- oh, wait.

mraynrand
10-22-2017, 09:10 PM
If Phillip Rivers grows a beard and starts talking retirement, it will be impossible to distinguish him from Favre.

Rutnstrut
10-22-2017, 09:21 PM
Speaking of other teams TJ Watt sure looked god today.

Joemailman
10-22-2017, 09:55 PM
If Phillip Rivers grows a beard and starts talking retirement, it will be impossible to distinguish him from Favre.

What color are his crocs?

ThunderDan
10-22-2017, 10:03 PM

He is a pussy and injury prone. He has already missed time in 28% of the games as a pro. Not durable. Perfect TT pick.

mraynrand
10-22-2017, 10:19 PM

this post was edited?

Rutnstrut
10-22-2017, 10:29 PM
this post was edited?

I did and screwed up. But It's a good one to leave as is now.

texaspackerbacker
10-22-2017, 11:07 PM
Studs: Clark, Martinez, Jones - as mentioned; I'll include House as more good than bad, although not much, as well as Randall - in addition to the interception, he didn't show up much, which usually means a DB is doing his job. I'm gonna include Hundley as more studly than dudly. I know his numbers weren't much, but he didn't mess up and he had some very decent moments. Lowry seemed to have a pretty good game.

Duds: Kevin King - he appeared to get beat damn near 100% of the time, Clinton-Dix - as usual, a few good plays and more bad ones, Montgomery - glaringly less good than Jones, the whole O Line minus maybe Linsley - just like with Rodgers, the D was in Hundley's face all day, and Aaron Jones got his yards after the first drive in spite of the O Line, not because of it, running to daylight when there was (of course) no hole where the play was supposed to go. The biggest dud was McCarthy for being far too cautious calling plays for Hundley (just as I worried that he would be) and in particular for failing on 3rd and 1 after each of the 1st Quarter interceptions due to poor play calling. Jordy Nelson and Davante Adams were apparent duds also, as they failed to get open virtually all the time. Josh Jones - not only for the punt play penalties, but for seemingly being out of position a lot on short pass plays and runs. I'm ordinarily a big supporter of Capers, but today was not his finest game by far.

Pugger
10-22-2017, 11:51 PM
How could you leave Hundley off the duds? He played horribly.

I kinda figured he would. Yes, he's been around for a while but he is woefully lacking in in-game experience.

Carolina_Packer
10-23-2017, 06:31 AM
Dud: The pass rush. We do know we are allowed to pressure the QB, right? Somebody please tell MM in case he forgot.

Joemailman
10-23-2017, 07:05 AM
Dud: The pass rush. We do know we are allowed to pressure the QB, right? Somebody please tell MM in case he forgot.

That would help. Brees is like Brady though. Not mobile, but able to move around in the pocket just enough to escape pressure.

texaspackerbacker
10-23-2017, 07:40 AM
As so often happens, the Packers D has the personnel to shut down one or some aspects of an offense but not all. For better or worse, Capers played deep umbrella coverage that kept Brees from success on long passes. They gave up the short zones, though, and also were weak on stopping runs on the second level, as well as very little blitzing and thus, poor pass rush. Brees is smart, and he's like so many (not me) whine for Aaron Rodgers to be - getting rid of the ball quick. If Kevin King had been a true shut down Corner, the plan might have worked. Thomas and the other Saints WRs had moves, but they didn't seem very fast. I can't help thinking, maybe the much-maligned Ladarius Gunter might have done better against them.

mraynrand
10-23-2017, 07:52 AM
I can't help thinking, maybe the much-maligned Ladarius Gunter might have done better against them.

BRING BLACK MICHAEL HAWTHORNE!

pbmax
10-23-2017, 07:55 AM
I am with the pass rush dud. Its the biggest missing piece. When they get it, suddenly the backend looks better.

But Capers was having to send a fifth or sixth guy from the secondary to get it. And that takes time.

mraynrand
10-23-2017, 08:05 AM
I am with the pass rush dud. Its the biggest missing piece. When they get it, suddenly the backend looks better.

But Capers was having to send a fifth or sixth guy from the secondary to get it. And that takes time.

and without Burnett, it was leaving the middle open for (especially) Fleener and others.

Packers really have no one who can consistently generate pressure. Not at least to the level where they need to be double teamed.

beveaux1
10-23-2017, 08:06 AM
As so often happens, the Packers D has the personnel to shut down one or some aspects of an offense but not all. For better or worse, Capers played deep umbrella coverage that kept Brees from success on long passes. They gave up the short zones, though, and also were weak on stopping runs on the second level, as well as very little blitzing and thus, poor pass rush. Brees is smart, and he's like so many (not me) whine for Aaron Rodgers to be - getting rid of the ball quick. If Kevin King had been a true shut down Corner, the plan might have worked. Thomas and the other Saints WRs had moves, but they didn't seem very fast. I can't help thinking, maybe the much-maligned Ladarius Gunter might have done better against them.

We can stop the run with base personnel, but not having Burnett makes it hard to stop the run in nickel, not to mention what it does to our pass defense.

beveaux1
10-23-2017, 08:09 AM
I'm becoming more convinced that Burnett is the most needed player on our defense.

beveaux1
10-23-2017, 08:12 AM

We didn't have a pass rush but that's not unusual against the Saints. Brees has a quick release and will risk interceptions to avoid sacks. Saints OL is pretty good, also.

pbmax
10-23-2017, 08:13 AM
We didn't have a pass rush but that's not unusual against the Saints. Brees has a quick release and will risk interceptions to avoid sacks. Saints OL is pretty good, also.

The problem is, the defense is constructed so that pass rush is vital to success. See any number of 3rd and long conversions.

bobblehead
10-23-2017, 08:22 AM

Which is why I advocated TJ Watt instead of Kevin King. Since the giants knocked off the 19-0 Patriots I have gone from believing to being religious about pass rush.

Pugger
10-23-2017, 10:25 AM

If you believe Gunter would be an upgrade over what we have that doesn't say much for our secondary. Gunter is having problems getting on the field with the Panthers this year.

Pugger
10-23-2017, 10:26 AM

A pass rush would camouflage a lot of our secondary issues.

denverYooper
10-23-2017, 11:44 AM
If only the Packers had Denver's defense, they would have won toda--- oh, wait.

Even great defenses struggle when the offense is struggling to possess the ball. Who knew?

Smidgeon
10-23-2017, 05:08 PM
Duds. Charles Davis. Man, I can't stand listening to his blathering. "We're looking for Artificial Intelligence and Drew Brees is it." No. That's called intelligence.

The Shadow
10-23-2017, 09:09 PM
I have reset my parameters. I still think Capers is a sub par DC.

mraynrand
10-23-2017, 09:10 PM

:)

Pugger
10-24-2017, 08:27 AM
Duds. Charles Davis. Man, I can't stand listening to his blathering. "We're looking for Artificial Intelligence and Drew Brees is it." No. That's called intelligence.

Yes, he is pretty dreadful. Now that Rodgers isn't our QB we're gonna be stuck with the likes of him going forward except for the 3 prime time games left on our schedule. :-P

mraynrand
10-24-2017, 08:32 AM
Charles Davis is better than "Red Area" Ron Pitts.

Harlan Huckleby
10-24-2017, 09:53 AM
Now that Rodgers isn't our QB we're gonna be stuck with the likes of him going forward except for the 3 prime time games left on our schedule. :-P

By "prime time" you mean my prime sleeping time. Whatever happened to flexing teams out of late games? Is that a thing? There ought to be some compensation for the collar bone catastrophe.

Smidgeon
10-24-2017, 11:40 AM
Charles Davis is better than "Red Area" Ron Pitts.

Honestly, I think I lumped those two together in my head. They're both dreadful.

Patler
10-24-2017, 12:30 PM
Now, now, don't be too hard on Ron Pitts. He is a double member of the Packer family! :-)

woodbuck27
10-24-2017, 12:55 PM

But...but...but..he is a much respected member of the Green Bay Packers FAMILY.

Long LIVE the Green Bay Packers Family and meanwhile Packers Nation and hopes of another Super Bowl and Aaron Rodgers:

http://www.strangemilitary.com/images/content/104255.jpg