PDA

View Full Version : Barclay released, McCaffrey signed to PS.

Patler
10-24-2017, 06:21 PM
Either Barclay's ankle has not responded, or McCray and Patrick have made positive impressions, because they released Barclay.

McCaffrey was released by the Jags on Monday, and signed with GB today to their practice squad, which had an opening after Whitehead was sigend to the regular roster.

Patler
10-24-2017, 06:44 PM
McCaffrey could be the type of receiver Hundley needs. In TC he got open and made difficult/contested catches.

Janis could be on the way out, replaced by Davis on kick returns, and apparently equaled by Jones as a gunner.
Davis could be on the way out, still not the most reliable fielding punts or kicks, and guilty of bad decisions returning both. McCaffrey could take over on punts.

If it was up to me to chose between the two, I would keep Janis for the coverage units.

Teamcheez1
10-24-2017, 07:22 PM
Either Barclay's ankle has not responded, or McCray and Patrick have made positive impressions, because they released Barclay.

McCaffrey was released by the Jags on Monday, and signed with GB today to their practice squad, which had an opening after Whitehead was sigend to the regular roster.

With Barclay, it came down to a numbers game. The Packers usually only like to keep 3 or 4 injured lineman. With Spriggs and Murphy already on IR, Lane Taylor now hurt, and Bakhtari and Bulaga rotating to the bench every other game, he just didn't make the cut. Perhaps MM/TT will make a decision to keep up to 6 or 7 injured OL in the future.

The Shadow
10-24-2017, 08:05 PM
Big McCaffrey fan! Good move!

mraynrand
10-24-2017, 08:21 PM
Sweet!

Harlan Huckleby
10-24-2017, 08:36 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!

mraynrand
10-24-2017, 08:40 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!

are you pro-Barclay, anti-McCaffrey, or both?

Harlan Huckleby
10-24-2017, 08:40 PM
Actually had completely forgotten Barclay was on the team. Man, they had an amazing run of tackle injuries. Should be fine now that it doesn't matter.

denverYooper
10-24-2017, 08:41 PM
McCaffrey could be the type of receiver Hundley needs. In TC he got open and made difficult/contested catches.

Janis could be on the way out, replaced by Davis on kick returns, and apparently equaled by Jones as a gunner.
Davis could be on the way out, still not the most reliable fielding punts or kicks, and guilty of bad decisions returning both. McCaffrey could take over on punts.

If it was up to me to chose between the two, I would keep Janis for the coverage units.

They almost have to keep Janis. He is having a great year in coverage and seems to work really well with Voegel. With Rodgers out, it seems they need all the field position they can get. It's a bonus that Jones is good as well and they can have 2 good gunners.

pbmax
10-24-2017, 08:55 PM
Janis literally is the new Bush. Its a race to the returner on punts between him and Jones and its fun as heck to watch. When was the last time you watched punt coverage and had fun?

Davis I could see on the bubble, but Zook seemed to want to get returns underway last week and Davis stayed in there. Unless there is a WR need due to injury, I doubt they change.

But McCaffrey is Mr. August to me until he gets promoted.

pbmax
10-24-2017, 08:56 PM
Actually had completely forgotten Barclay was on the team. Man, they had an amazing run of tackle injuries. Should be fine now that it doesn't matter.

McCray as the new Flanagan/Tretter guard/tackle/emergencycenter really stole his seat.

Rutnstrut
10-24-2017, 09:05 PM
If they actually gave Janis more plays on offense I think he would be solid.

The Shadow
10-24-2017, 09:05 PM
McCaffrey may be the guy Abbracadabra was supposed to be.

pbmax
10-24-2017, 09:08 PM
If they actually gave Janis more plays on offense I think he would be solid.

Given that he might have been Hundley's favorite target two years ago, he might get a chance. Gonna take a couple weeks though.

Patler
10-25-2017, 07:50 AM
With Barclay, it came down to a numbers game. The Packers usually only like to keep 3 or 4 injured lineman. With Spriggs and Murphy already on IR, Lane Taylor now hurt, and Bakhtari and Bulaga rotating to the bench every other game, he just didn't make the cut. Perhaps MM/TT will make a decision to keep up to 6 or 7 injured OL in the future.

I don't see it as a numbers game at all with Barclay. He was on IR. They didn't have to do anything with him. They could have just waited until next training camp, have him compete with the others and let it shake out however. At final cutdown, they kept him on the original 53 man roster for one day, then moved him to IR, making him eligible to return this year, but they could have left him on IR all season. He was the only one with any experience at center behind Linsley, until McCray and Patrick (?) started working there after Barclay was hurt.

Spriggs and Murphy are both on IR, so they don't create any numbers problem either. You can have as many on IR as you want.

Cutting Barclay now to me indicates either that he isn't responding to treatments and/or that he has, is ready tp start practicing, but the Packers like the others they have on the roster now more than they like Barclay. Either way, no point in keeping him around. They could have simply kept him on IR as insurance for later this year or next year. They didn't, which seems to indicate they are satisfied with McCray, Patrick, Pankey and Ulrick now, and Spriggs and Murphy eligible to return a few weeks down the road,

pbmax
10-25-2017, 08:04 AM
Cutting Barclay now to me indicates either that he isn't responding to treatments and/or that he has, is ready tp start practicing, but the Packers like the others they have on the roster now more than they like Barclay. Either way, no point in keeping him around. They could have simply kept him on IR as insurance for later this year or next year. They didn't, which seems to indicate they are satisfied with McCray, Patrick, Pankey and Ulrick now, and Spriggs and Murphy eligible to return a few weeks down the road,

I think Teamcheez was kidding about the depth chart of the injured OL.

However, your post gave me pause over one scenario. Barclay has played emergency tackle before. On the current roster, Taylor, McCray and Ulrick have (don't think Pankey made it into a game, did he?) been the emergency tackle. Taylor's play was sublime given he's always been a Guard.

However Taylor is hurt. He might be OK after the bye, but that's not certain. So they must have really like Ulrick is my guess, because MCCray at right tackle was a very big adventure.

Teamcheez1
10-25-2017, 08:14 AM
I don't see it as a numbers game at all with Barclay. He was on IR. They didn't have to do anything with him. They could have just waited until next training camp, have him compete with the others and let it shake out however. At final cutdown, they kept him on the original 53 man roster for one day, then moved him to IR, making him eligible to return this year, but they could have left him on IR all season. He was the only one with any experience at center behind Linsley, until McCray and Patrick (?) started working there after Barclay was hurt.

Spriggs and Murphy are both on IR, so they don't create any numbers problem either. You can have as many on IR as you want.

My explanation was meant to be more sarcasm than reality. Your reasoning rings true.

hoosier
10-25-2017, 08:47 AM
I find detailed discussions about shuffling the bottom of the roster to be deeply depressing. Sign of the times.

mraynrand
10-25-2017, 09:33 AM
I find detailed discussions about shuffling the bottom of the roster to be deeply depressing. Sign of the times.

OK Debbie downer. But some of us realize we're talking about a future pro bowl WR.

Patler
10-25-2017, 09:55 AM
I think Teamcheez was kidding about the depth chart of the injured OL.

However, your post gave me pause over one scenario. Barclay has played emergency tackle before. On the current roster, Taylor, McCray and Ulrick have (don't think Pankey made it into a game, did he?) been the emergency tackle. Taylor's play was sublime given he's always been a Guard.

However Taylor is hurt. He might be OK after the bye, but that's not certain. So they must have really like Ulrick is my guess, because MCCray at right tackle was a very big adventure.

"Really like Ulrick" is probably more "satisfied with, compared to Barclay" who has never gotten back to his pre-ACL performance at RT. They might also be looking at bringing Spriggs back in a few weeks if needed. Looks like Murphy is out for the year after having foot surgery a couple weeks ago.

Good news, I heard yesterday that Taylor was close to being ready to play against NO, and should be back after the bye.

Patler
10-25-2017, 10:03 AM
My explanation was meant to be more sarcasm than reality.

Ya, I realized that after I replied. I'm not too sharp this am! (Not much different than any other day, or any other time!). :-)

ND72
10-25-2017, 05:45 PM
They move fast when released....saw Barclay's wife packing up their truck today full of their kids house stuff. No, I'm not stalking, they live down the street.

Smidgeon
10-25-2017, 05:49 PM
They move fast when released....saw Barclay's wife packing up their truck today full of their kids house stuff. No, I'm not stalking, they live down the street.

Lived.

But seriously, that's gotta be rough, uprooting your kids' lives on a moment's notice.

Harlan Huckleby
10-25-2017, 05:54 PM
Lived.

But seriously, that's gotta be rough, uprooting your kids' lives on a moment's notice.

Unless he knocked up his high school gf, those kids are pretty young.

pbmax
10-25-2017, 07:45 PM
Where are they moving to?

ND72
10-25-2017, 08:41 PM
Unless he knocked up his high school gf, those kids are pretty young.

They are young, like maybe 4 years old for the oldest. His wife has an awesome southern draw. They were all at the park one night when I was with my kids, and one of theirs got out of line. I wanted to say sorry after the scolding he got. "Boy, get yo ass over here, now."

Harlan Huckleby
10-25-2017, 11:36 PM
They were all at the park one night when I was with my kids, and one of theirs got out of line.

Let me guess... holding? Acorn doesn't fall far.

gbgary
10-26-2017, 12:08 PM
Where are they moving to?

per source: wife and kids went back to west virginia for now. he had a try-out with someone yesterday that supposedly went pretty well.

pbmax
10-26-2017, 01:02 PM
per source: wife and kids went back to west virginia for now. he had a try-out with someone yesterday that supposedly went pretty well.

Lions.

mraynrand
10-26-2017, 03:39 PM
That makes sense - they need someone to back up Lang when he misses time due to his chronic injuries.

gbgary
10-26-2017, 05:10 PM
That makes sense - they need someone to back up Lang when he misses time due to his chronic injuries.

aaannd that's the next team we play too. always seems to happen.

Fritz
10-27-2017, 04:12 PM

Well, then they didn't cut him because his ankle wasn't responding. Apparently he's well enough to play, so the Packers must be satisfied with McCray/Patrick/Ulrick. Or John. Or whatever his last name is.

woodbuck27
10-28-2017, 08:26 PM

Yes.

Patler
11-01-2017, 05:53 AM
Well, then they didn't cut him because his ankle wasn't responding. Apparently he's well enough to play, so the Packers must be satisfied with McCray/Patrick/Ulrick. Or John. Or whatever his last name is.

Yup. On the day he was released, Barclay released a statement saying he "couldn't thank the Packers organization enough for the opportunity they gave me today."

They could have kept him on IR as insurance against injuries this season and as a camp guy for next year. But, he is apparently ready to play now, and since GB doesn't have a place for him, they let him go now and gave him a chance to catch on with someone else. TT has mentioned several times that he likes to release vets as soon as the decision is made to move on from them, to give them opportunities elsewhere. He often releases veterans at the start of the off season, and has said similar things when he does.

Sparkey
11-01-2017, 10:06 AM
Moving to Detroit

Lions sign free agent G Don Barclay and waive T Dan Skipper
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiU9YzP053XAhUf3YMKHR74BswQqOcBCCYwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.detroitlions.com%2Fnews%2Fnew s-short%2Farticle-1%2FLions-sign-free-agent-G-Don-Barclay-and-waive-T-Dan-Skipper%2Fed22156f-ba24-489a-ae1f-eace2a92c877&usg=AOvVaw3SbeF0KVBJb13SZSJyjpmL

woodbuck27
11-01-2017, 02:02 PM

What really has Davis shown us so far?

Janis plays 'the Gunner Role' very well. I've no idea about him and consistency and catching a football. You either have good hands or not but he has good fast feet and will stay.

I thought that McCaffrey looked solid before he was released. I'm glad he's back.