PDA

View Full Version : Official Lions Week

pbmax
11-01-2017, 07:40 AM
Distractions!

Martinez got engaged: http://www.packersnews.com/videos/sports/nfl/packers/2017/11/01/packers-linebacker-blake-martinez-got-engaged-over-bye-week/107212380/

mraynrand
11-01-2017, 08:06 AM
Congrats!

http://media.tmz.com/2012/02/13/0213-erik-estrada-valentines-gift.jpg

gbgary
11-01-2017, 10:45 AM
Distractions!

Martinez got engaged: http://www.packersnews.com/videos/sports/nfl/packers/2017/11/01/packers-linebacker-blake-martinez-got-engaged-over-bye-week/107212380/

bennett...at least until he actually talks about his retirement announcement.

i expect pretty much a carbon copy of the NO game.

denverYooper
11-01-2017, 11:20 AM
I just hope they have a good week of practice.

mraynrand
11-01-2017, 11:41 AM
I just hope they have a good week of practice.

I'm expecting the best week of preparation for a battle since Sargon of Akkad overran the lands of Simurrum.

Cheesehead Craig
11-01-2017, 11:54 AM
I'm expecting the best week of preparation for a battle since Sargon of Akkad overran the lands of Simurrum.

I believe you.

Teamcheez1
11-01-2017, 12:22 PM
Packers supposedly made a play for Brian Hoyer this week.

woodbuck27
11-01-2017, 02:14 PM
bennett...at least until he actually talks about his retirement announcement.

i expect pretty much a carbon copy of the NO game.

Last week Detroit should have kicked the New Orleans Saints ass.

They had about 500 Yards of Offense and as I recall it their 'O' stalled about 5 Times in the Red Zone.

The Detroit Lions are in a desperate situation coming to Lambeau Field before a National Audience. They need to keep the Minnesota Vikings in sight.They'll be ROARING !

What is the Vegas Line today Wed. Nov. 1, 2017 ... I'll look now:

Not bad at Lions -2.5.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
11-01-2017, 02:30 PM

Comment woodbuck27:

This speaks mountains and MM's REAL confidence in Backup Brett Hundley...just some more of MM's Horseshit. Either that or MM and TT are not on the same page?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-bring-back-brian-hoyer-but-only-after-packers-reportedly-tried-to-sign-him/

" ...But first there's this: apparently the Packers tried to steal Hoyer away, according to a report from Ian Rapoport of NFL Media.

That angle is fascinating, because the Packers have previously explained very loudly and very clearly that they are perfectly fine with Brett Hundley, their backup for the last three years, filling in for Aaron Rodgers, who suffered a broken collarbone and could miss the rest of the season. ...."

gbgary
11-01-2017, 03:00 PM

or since the Third Reconciliation of the Last of the Meketrex Supplicants:

https://youtu.be/Skxhii6VFdo

Joemailman
11-01-2017, 04:29 PM
Cowardly Lions will be running for their lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXhaBHGhUOI

woodbuck27
11-01-2017, 05:12 PM
"The Lions have lost three straight games and four of their past five, so there's plenty to be concerned about in Detroit right now. Matthew Stafford's performance against the blitz is among the top worries. He has a league-worst 19 Total QBR against the blitz." ESPN

Comment woodbuck27:

Hey Dom Capers: What do you have for a Pass Rush !?

bobblehead
11-01-2017, 06:16 PM
"The Lions have lost three straight games and four of their past five, so there's plenty to be concerned about in Detroit right now. Matthew Stafford's performance against the blitz is among the top worries. He has a league-worst 19 Total QBR against the blitz." ESPN

Comment woodbuck27:

Hey Dom Capers: What do you have for a Pass Rush !?

RELEASE THE HOUNDS!!! Or the Biegels anyway.

pbmax
11-01-2017, 09:27 PM

Source? Link?

Joemailman
11-01-2017, 09:58 PM
Source? Link?

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account
@RapSheet

The #Packers tried to steal him, but Brian Hoyer ends up back in New England where he wanted to be.

Harlan Huckleby
11-01-2017, 10:44 PM
IThe #Packers tried to steal him, but Brian Hoyer ends up back in New England where he wanted to be.

Is Hoyer an upgrade?

I've expressed reservations about Kapernick, but if the Packers really need another QB, why not bring the guy in for a test? It would be good PR for the NFL, to show that he is being excluded because of diminishing talent only. I have zero idea if he can play. But I think the kneeling thing has kinda died down, Packers could handle it.

Joemailman
11-02-2017, 06:02 AM
Is Hoyer an upgrade?

I've expressed reservations about Kapernick, but if the Packers really need another QB, why not bring the guy in for a test? It would be good PR for the NFL, to show that he is being excluded because of diminishing talent only. I have zero idea if he can play. But I think the kneeling thing has kinda died down, Packers could handle it.

Maybe they want it to stay died down.

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2017, 09:28 AM
Maybe they want it to stay died down.

Good point. But recall K is suing the NFL, so an NFL tryout would calm those waters.

Isn't K possibly better than Hoyer? Why not take a looky see?.

Pugger
11-02-2017, 09:52 AM

From what I heard the Packers called Hoyer's agent and asked what his plans were. The agent said his client is signing with NE and we never invited the QB in for a look.

Smidgeon
11-02-2017, 11:02 AM
From what I heard the Packers called Hoyer's agent and asked what his plans were. The agent said his client is signing with NE and we never invited the QB in for a look.

I'm speculating they were looking for a backup to Hundley rather than a starter. Despite what the talking heads are insinuating.

mraynrand
11-02-2017, 11:36 AM
I'm speculating they were looking for a backup to Hundley rather than a starter. Despite what the talking heads are insinuating.

+1

Teamcheez1
11-02-2017, 03:10 PM
Spriggs designated to return from IR.

They must really be trying to tank this season .....

gbgary
11-02-2017, 03:43 PM

he'd have eventually started because he's better than hundley imo (which could change but i doubt it).

Spriggs designated to return from IR.

They must really be trying to tank this season .....

he's just depth.

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2017, 03:54 PM

Reminds me of a Monty Python skit.
He was brought in to be a backup. At first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS9UWeoq7WA

After 3 or 4 weeks, the backup could be promoted.

QBME
11-02-2017, 04:00 PM
I'm waiting (hoping) to see if BH has his Matt Flynn moment and scrapes together an unlikely Packer win. Take the victory and momentum, then muddle together something the second half of the season that puts us in the NFC North deciding game in Detroit, last game of the year. Kinda something like the last time Aaron had that fan dangled clavicle broken.

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2017, 04:08 PM
I'm waiting (hoping) to see if BH has his Matt Flynn moment and scrapes together an unlikely Packer win.

Hundley definitely passed well in spurts in preseasons past.

He's looked very rusty, not that it is an excuse, team is supposed to keep him sharp.

QBME
11-02-2017, 04:18 PM

He's looked very rusty, not that it is an excuse, team is supposed to keep him sharp.

Good point. I think it goes just a bit past passing ability - getting the offense in and out of the huddle, showing some moxie and leadership, setting a tempo.

My memory is sketchy, but I think Flynn had a healthy, veteran O Line and some playmakers that had some years in the system. I fear we're operating on baling wire and duct tape these days.

hoosier
11-02-2017, 04:26 PM
Andrew Luck IR'd and ruled out for season. The price of backups is pointing up.

QBME
11-02-2017, 04:32 PM
Andrew Luck IR'd and ruled out for season. The price of backups is pointing up.

Just messin' with you, but....as this was posted in the Lions Week thread, are you suggesting Joe Callahan (I'm a big fan) might be worth some trade bait? Oh, wait...trading deadline expired yesterday.

bobblehead
11-02-2017, 07:19 PM

No, that is impossible. The only possible explanation is that they have zero faith in Hundley and are ready to move on after one start. TT, MM and the entire organization are incompetently flailing for answers.

MadScientist
11-03-2017, 01:21 PM
Pepper and Brice to IR
Biegel, Hart and Brown to the 53
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/2017/11/03/packers-sign-long-snapper-derek-hart-activate-lb-vince-biegel-flurry-moves/829526001/

pbmax
11-03-2017, 01:25 PM
TAYBOR™ operation no longer nominal.

Really rooting for Biegel.

Hart presented some sever problems on kick operation. I hope he has shored it up.

Harlan Huckleby
11-03-2017, 02:01 PM
Pepper and Brice to IR
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/2017/11/03/packers-sign-long-snapper-derek-hart-activate-lb-vince-biegel-flurry-moves/829526001/

bottom of roster shuffles

gbgary
11-03-2017, 02:21 PM
brice and pepper to ir. geesh. fg's are going to be a problem now. bennett and lane taylor hurt in practice. smh

Patler
11-03-2017, 03:21 PM
The rumor is that Brett Goode has healed, is resuming private workouts, and will be eligible to be resigned by GB in two weeks. Apparently the ban for resigning after an injury settlement is now only three weeks after the term of the injury settlement. I think it had been longer than that a few years ago.

pbmax
11-03-2017, 03:25 PM
^ He can resign after Week 10 according to Packers News

pbmax
11-03-2017, 03:26 PM
Burnett a full participant

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNu-7C3VAAAk5jj.jpg

MadScientist
11-03-2017, 03:35 PM
TAYBOR™ operation no longer nominal.

Really rooting for Biegel.

Hart presented some sever problems on kick operation. I hope he has shored it up.

Don't say that! The Packers have had just about every other injury, we don't need anyone to sever anything.

woodbuck27
11-03-2017, 04:03 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBobOYLWAAAaLzj.jpg

Packer Nation will be watching MNF.

woodbuck27
11-03-2017, 04:08 PM
Pepper and Brice to IR

" Gain One and Lose Two "...That about sums up the Story and Green Bay Packers this Season.

denverYooper
11-03-2017, 06:28 PM
Burnett a full participant

The defense does seem to function a bit better when he's on the field. It'd be interesting to see DVOA splits.

mraynrand
11-03-2017, 07:26 PM
yep. The middle is a tire fire without Burnett.

Joemailman
11-03-2017, 07:49 PM
The Packers lost a second long snapper to injury on Thursday when Pepper went down with a broken foot. Inside of adding an unknown, the Packers brought back Hart, who was the only long snapper on the roster to start training camp. He had a few recurring issues this summer and eventually lost the job to Brett Goode, who was then injured in Week 3.

Only the Packers could lose 2 long snappers to injury in the same year.

Freak Out
11-04-2017, 12:59 AM
Wow. How does this happen? Someone kill a sheep.

Pugger
11-04-2017, 08:08 AM
Don't say that! The Packers have had just about every other injury, we don't need anyone to sever anything.

No kidding!

Fritz
11-04-2017, 09:36 AM
It's strange that without one player - Rodgers - suddenly what would have been considered a very probable win for the Packers becomes a "we'll be lucky to upset the Lions" game.

This does make me wonder if it's Dom Capers's time to go. According to a recent Bleacherreport (I think) article, the trend toward playing more conservatively on offense means Capers's "big play" defense design does not work so well. That's why the short, middle-of-the-field stuff works so well against his defenses. I wonder if he's a dinosaur now.

It's also fair to wonder if Thompson somehow just does not draft as well on defense as he does on offense. That seems counterintuitive - isn't identifying talent identifying talent, no matter whether it's offense or defense? - but it's possible. After all, it's safe to say that Ted's had a lot of misses on defense. A lot. Datone Jones was a whiff. Quinten Rollins was a whiff. Randall may be, too. And there are others.

Pugger
11-04-2017, 10:33 AM
It's strange that without one player - Rodgers - suddenly what would have been considered a very probable win for the Packers becomes a "we'll be lucky to upset the Lions" game.

This does make me wonder if it's Dom Capers's time to go. According to a recent Bleacherreport (I think) article, the trend toward playing more conservatively on offense means Capers's "big play" defense design does not work so well. That's why the short, middle-of-the-field stuff works so well against his defenses. I wonder if he's a dinosaur now.

It's also fair to wonder if Thompson somehow just does not draft as well on defense as he does on offense. That seems counterintuitive - isn't identifying talent identifying talent, no matter whether it's offense or defense? - but it's possible. After all, it's safe to say that Ted's had a lot of misses on defense. A lot. Datone Jones was a whiff. Quinten Rollins was a whiff. Randall may be, too. And there are others.

The reason we have a defense that depends upon a big play is because we have the best player in the league at QB. Getting turnovers is key to our success so we can get the ball back in AR's hand. Our entire team is built around his superior skill set so when he goes down things went south in a hurry. We got 2 turnovers against the Saints. Had #12 been in there we most likely score off those TOs and the game is entirely different. Teams also play us differently with Hundley under center than they would with AR. Now teams will load the box and dare Brett to beat us - there is no way in hell they would do that normally. It will now be up to Hundley to use his legs and make just enough plays to keep us in the playoff hunt. If he can't we should keep AR on the shelf, get a high pick for change and go after it in 2018.

Fritz
11-04-2017, 11:34 AM
This might be a good point, but I wonder if it would be better for the defense to be able to get more 3-and-outs instead of taking chances on getting takeaways, which are harder to come by and come in streaks.

QBME
11-04-2017, 02:33 PM

I've also thought about how he can hit on most all the offensive positions, while being average at best with the defensive picks. This from a man who had a career in the NFL as a defensive player.

gbgary
11-04-2017, 03:22 PM
This does make me wonder if it's Dom Capers's time to go.

both sides of the ball suck now. a borderline d can't survive if it can't get off the field. when it does get off the field (after giving up points, or getting a lucky turnover) the O promptly goes 3 and out hanging the D out to dry. rinse/repeat. not enough talent on this team, on both sides of the ball, to overcome the loss of Rodgers. drafting from the back of each round, poor talent evaluation, passive FA participation, bad luck, and putting the $ ahead of the W, have this team where it is. changes upstairs need to be made in philosophy. that means a head or two will have to roll.

after seeing the NO debacle i have no confidence in this team going forward this season. Rodgers would be crazy to go out there before next sept. let's just ride this out, hope the off-season goes well, get our top 15 pick, look at our 3rd/4th place schedule for next year, and smile.

texaspackerbacker
11-04-2017, 08:03 PM
I've also thought about how he can hit on most all the offensive positions, while being average at best with the defensive picks. This from a man who had a career in the NFL as a defensive player.

He "can hit" on O Linemen? Come On! Or even RBs for that matter - hopefully Aaron Jones proves to be the exception, but otherwise, the picks there have been pretty crappy. TEs? nothing much there. Even WR is questionable - how much are they really quality players, and how much is just from playing with Aaron Rodgers?

ThunderDan
11-04-2017, 10:56 PM
Eddie Lacy was rookie of the year. Pretty good pick at RB if you ask me. Too bad he ate himself out of GB.

bobblehead
11-05-2017, 01:50 AM
After all, it's safe to say that Ted's had a lot of misses on defense. A lot. Datone Jones was a whiff. Quinten Rollins was a whiff. Randall may be, too. And there are others.

I'm ready to hang them if we are ugly tomorrow coming off the bye week, but this is kinda silly. Nick Collins, Clay Mathews, Raji, Clark (he is good), Williams and Shields as undrafted guys we targeted, Hyde, Hayward, etc.

TT has drafted some talented guys. I really do think its the game plan and coaching.

woodbuck27
11-05-2017, 12:44 PM

http://rs18.pbsrc.com/albums/b128/cadfile/Blog/2013/homer-simpson-doh.png?w=280&h=210&fit=crop