PDA

View Full Version : Hunter isn't in pass-rush rotation

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Kampman, KGB will remain on the field in passing situations

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

The Green Bay Packers kept defensive end Jason Hunter on the 53-man roster because they were intrigued by his pass-rush ability, but it looks like they're not quite ready to use the undrafted rookie as one of their primary rushers on obvious passing downs.

Starting defensive ends Aaron Kampman and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila are expected to stay on the field when defensive coordinator Bob Sanders goes to his main nickel (five defensive backs) or dime (six defensive backs) lineups during Sunday's game against the Chicago Bears at Lambeau Field.

That doesn't mean Sanders won't use Hunter to spell either Kampman or Gbaja-Biamila, but for now, he's a backup even in obvious passing situations.

"That's the way we practiced it in the offseason, in training camp and in the preseason," Kampman said, "so I don't see why it would change now."

The Packers have been looking for a second pass rusher ever since Gbaja-Biamila emerged five years ago. He has led the team in sacks each of the last five years, though his eight sacks last season were his fewest since he had 1½ as a rookie in 2000.

Kampman had a career-high 6½ sacks last season, but in four NFL seasons has only 13½ sacks.

"Aaron gets a solid push and has done a good job," Sanders said. "So we'll continue to head that way."

General Manager Ted Thompson kept only four true defensive ends on the 53-man roster, so there's a decent chance all of them will play against the Bears.

Hunter, a raw prospect out of Appalachian State, said he didn't know what role he would have Sunday. Before this week, he said he wasn't even aware that only 45 of the 53 players on the roster are activated for games.

Who's the dime DB? Four days before the regular-season opener, it remained a mystery what the Packers will do with their dime secondary or whether they'll even use that alignment.

Sanders wouldn't say what he planned to do, but if he does use any six-defensive-back sets, he'll probably have to go with one of two rookies, safety Tyrone Culver or cornerback Jarrett Bush.

Most teams would prefer to use an extra corner in the dime, but Bush has been in Green Bay only since Sunday, when he was claimed off waivers from Carolina.

"They're teaching me the dime," Bush said, "but I don't know if they're going to use me."

Culver, a sixth-round draft pick, has been with the Packers throughout training camp.

If Sanders uses Culver, he could move safety Nick Collins to one of the cornerback positions. Some scouts liked Collins as a corner in last year's draft.

"It's been something I've been working on off to the side," Culver said. "I know we need some help there."

A rare feat: When Tony Moll and Jason Spitz line up on the offensive line for the Packers on Sunday, it will mark the first time in 10 years that an NFL team has opened the season with a pair of rookie starting guards.

According to Elias Sports Bureau, the last team to start a rookie at each guard spot in Week 1 was the 1996 Cincinnati Bengals. Their two rookie starters were Ken Blackman and Rod Jones. The Bengals went 8-8 that season but started 1-6.

The last team to start two rookie guards in any game was the 2004 Indianapolis Colts, who played six games with Ryan Lilja and Jake Scott at the guards.

According to the Packers, Sunday's game is believed to be the first time in team history that they will start rookies at both guard spots.

"They've got no choice," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said when asked whether Moll and Spitz were ready. "What are they going to do, stop playing?"

Odds and ends: Jagodzinski refused to say whether Samkon Gado or Noah Herron was the No. 2 running back. Gado said the coaches haven't told him, either. … Thursday's practice was not in pads and ended about 20 minutes earlier than expected

KYPack
09-08-2006, 09:26 PM
We start 4 rooks on Sunday.

The only team in the league to start more is (gulp) Houston with 5.

I am pissed about our acquistion of OL talent. C'mon youngbloods, make me happy.

the_idle_threat
09-08-2006, 11:30 PM
Where's the surprise here? Hunter is talented but needs a lot of refinement, from what I understand. He figures to be inactive on game days for most of the season, unless injuries force him into the lineup.

wist43
09-09-2006, 09:39 AM
KGB has quickness and speed off the edge, but he usually can't get it done against the top flight OT's and he tends to wear down. Kampman can't get the corner and is strictly a coverage sack guy.

That's the reality we face with our overpriced starting DE's.

I don't know how the coaching staff can look at what Hunter did in the preseason and conclude anything other than he has to be on the field on passing downs.

He's very quick off the edge, has good instincts, and is very disruptive. I didn't pay very close attention to how he performed on ST's, but with his sized/speed/toughness combination I think he'd be an asset.

That said, he's not an every down DE. He didn't hold the point of attack well at all, and routinely got blown off the ball on run downs.

He is what he is, and the Packers need to take advantage of every players strengths, while hiding their weaknesses. I don't think the Packers do a very good job of either of those things.

mmmdk
09-09-2006, 09:57 AM
A note to the "starting rookies theme".
I just read that the Bills are starting 3 rookies on their O-line on sunday. Wow, I sure hope for Losman that he's the white chocolate version of Mike Vick.