PDA

View Full Version : Bennett Released For Failure to Disclose Medical Condition

pbmax
11-08-2017, 04:18 PM
Field Yates @FieldYates 9m9 minutes ago
Source: the Packers have cut veteran TE Martellus Bennett. His time in Green Bay is over.

Field Yates‏ @FieldYates
The Packers cut Bennett with the failure to disclose a medical condition designation. We'll see what's next for the veteran TE.

Sorry gary, thought this deserved its own thread.

pbmax
11-08-2017, 04:22 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet 35s36 seconds ago
The #Packers paid TE Martellus Bennett $8M of his 3-year, $21M contract. The only tangible benefit to cutting him with the failure to disclose is if they argue his entire contract is void & go after his money. This isn’t over just yet.

Carolina_Packer
11-08-2017, 04:39 PM
How do you win, but really lose? Having the right to go after the money already paid in a players contract, but possibly looking bad as an organization to any potential free agents down the road, who don't agree with the team's approach, even if they are within their right to do so. They might just do well to let him have this year's money and since he was going to call it quits anyway, just leave it at that and move on down the road.

Sparkey
11-08-2017, 04:47 PM
Hmmm, Actually moderately suprised by the turn of events. But then again, not really.

He came to GB to win another title. Rodgers breaks his collar bone, shortly there after Bennett tweets he will probably retire after 2017.

He basically checked out after he knew the chance at winning was over. Don't really need a guy like that on the team.

MadScientist
11-08-2017, 05:21 PM
Note to the Packers brass (or future Packers brass): If Hoody doesn't want a guy, don't bother going after him.

Harlan Huckleby
11-08-2017, 05:28 PM
We'll have to recalibrate the Packer playoff odds now.

red
11-08-2017, 06:24 PM
thats a pretty shitty way to do business IMO

don't we hear all the time that players are always injured or beat up?

the packers just told the rest of the players in the NFL that they better disclose every little bump or bruise they've ever gotten, or else the packers could use it to get out of the deal at some point

in the packer organization, players should never try and play though pain or suck it up

beveaux1
11-08-2017, 06:36 PM
Do we really know what happened? Is it possible that after announcing he wanted to retire after the season, he decided he had an injury and couldn’t play last week. When they checked with him this week, he cited the same injury. When asked when it occurred, he said it was an existing injury.

I remember a certain CB that did much the same thing for a couple of weeks when we didn’t renegotiate his contract. That player was traded to the Saints.

Before we say that it’s a crappy way to do business, let’s find out if Bennett has basically decided to retire early.

red
11-08-2017, 06:46 PM
Do we really know what happened? Is it possible that after announcing he wanted to retire after the season, he decided he had an injury and couldn’t play last week. When they checked with him this week, he cited the same injury. When asked when it occurred, he said it was an existing injury.

I remember a certain CB that did much the same thing for a couple of weeks when we didn’t renegotiate his contract. That player was traded to the Saints.

Before we say that it’s a crappy way to do business, let’s find out if Bennett has basically decided to retire early.

that very well could be

although he has come out now and says he didn't fail to disclose anything

Harlan Huckleby
11-08-2017, 06:56 PM
Where is Gumshoe McGinn when we need him?

pbmax
11-08-2017, 06:59 PM
We'll know the extent of it if he signs with another team.

Or if the Packer try to recoup some of the money he collected already. Doesn't seem to be a reason to cite failure to disclose other than that.

esoxx
11-08-2017, 07:01 PM
Silverstein said on the McCarren show that Bennett wasn't even at the game last night. Very strange and perhaps part of the reason he's now unemployed.

Harlan Huckleby
11-08-2017, 07:11 PM
Silverstein said on the McCarren show that Bennett wasn't even at the game last night.

Not that strange, no doubt his ass was already cut and he was inactive.

I wonder if Bennett's retirement musing played into this. I can't recall a player talking about retirement midseason. Maybe it has happened. Maybe the coaches thought he had already checked out mentally from pro football, and they feel they are entitled to a refund.

Bossman641
11-08-2017, 07:15 PM
Go after his money and use it next off-season to sign a te who can actually catch the ball

esoxx
11-08-2017, 07:15 PM
Not that strange, no doubt his ass was already cut and he was inactive.

I wonder if Bennett's retirement musing played into this. I can't recall a player talking about retirement midseason. Maybe it has happened. Maybe the coaches thought he had already checked out mentally from pro football, and they feel they are entitled to a refund.

Maybe that was the preexisting condition "Failure to give a shit once star QB goes down."

hoosier
11-08-2017, 07:31 PM
Given where Bennett comes from I suspect he really does have a preexisting injury and that the Patriots were aware of it too. He had a shoulder injury last year too, didn't he?

ND72
11-08-2017, 07:45 PM
Maybe that was the preexisting condition "Failure to give a shit once star QB goes down."

Bingo.

woodbuck27
11-08-2017, 09:54 PM
http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/08/martellus-bennetts-release-designation-raises-questions-about-injury-contract/

Martellus Bennett's release designation raises questions about injury, contract

" ...there appears leeway to interpret “situation” to be emotional as well as physical.

Perhaps the Packers will argue that Bennett wasn’t upfront on a number of things during his signing.

It would seem logical that they’d use this information to argue for some sort of reimbursement from Bennett, who has a pro-rated signing bonus of $2.1 million ($6.3 million total signing bonus) during each of the next two seasons.

Also, Bennett refused to talk to the media after his announcement, so there aren’t any on-the-record statements about his physical condition other than the injury announcement from the Packers.

Both parties have been mum on the issue; it’s safe to expect lawyers to be involved. ..."

smuggler
11-08-2017, 10:43 PM
I think he was pretty much a one-year guy, by his own admission, and we were not going to compete this season. I really do think it has a lot more to do with Bennett just losing faith in the ability of the team to fight for a championship and the shoulder injury is just being used as an excuse.

pbmax
11-09-2017, 08:37 AM
Silverstein agrees with Smuggler:

Early Wednesday afternoon, McCarthy said in his news conference that Bennett had met with the doctors Tuesday and “there’s a number of opinions that he’s working through.” Later in the day, he was cut.

The only thing that could have caused the Packers to do that was if Bennett decided he wanted to have season-ending surgery. Given he had not been on the injury report all season, the Packers probably saw it as a ploy to either get cut so he could play for a contender or collect pay while on injured reserve.

From the perspective of those left in the locker room to salvage something out of this season, it may appear that Bennett is bailing out on the team. Most of the players asked about Bennett's possible retirement after this season didn't know what to make of it.

The Packers undoubtedly were worried about that as well as setting precedent that a player could announce his retirement one week and then report he needs surgery the next, conveniently allowing him to collect his money while on injured reserve.

pbmax
11-09-2017, 08:51 AM
So the injury designation is a shot across the bow: have surgery keep the money. Go sign with another team, you owe us.

mraynrand
11-09-2017, 10:02 AM
"I'll be back"

-Bennett

gbgary
11-09-2017, 10:08 AM
sounds like a bad faith situation with Bennett. it'll all come out eventually. as far as a warning to other players...nah.

bobblehead
11-09-2017, 10:23 AM
I think his attitude had a lot to do with everything that has transpired. His brother is a punk. He is one of the 3 who took a knee knowing how MM feels about it.

I suspect he quit on his team, was causing headaches and the team decided to make an example of him.

woodbuck27
11-09-2017, 11:56 AM
The Green Bay Packers simply got fed up with the game playing and antics.

It was time to say Bye Bye.

The Green Bay Packers are in enough of a mess and didn't need any of Martelus Bennett to add to that mess.

The tension has to be high in The Green Bay Prganization in just another disasterous failure Season and falling in the NFL Power Ranking to amonst the very worst Teams in the NFL.

Here the Packers are Ranked 27th now in the NFL:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2741739-nfl-power-rankings-where-does-every-team-stand-heading-into-week-10?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Last Week's Ranking: 24

" Maybe everyone will finally see what I've been saying about the Green Bay Packers for the last three years. This team is nothing special. It's been the Aaron Rodgers show, plain and simple.

The Packers defense is just a middle-of-the-road unit, as we saw against the Detroit Lions. Offensively, Green Bay simply isn't creative enough. If they want to compete with Brett Hundley under center, the Packers need to change what they're trying to do on offense drastically.

There's no other way to put it. The Packers are in trouble."

f you disagree with that POWER Ranking look at where NFL.Com has the Packers Ranked and it's not much higher. How low will the Green Bay Packers go !?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000873681/article/nfl-power-rankings-week-10-saints-hit-top-five-cowboys-rise

woodbuck27
11-09-2017, 12:57 PM
I've been thinking about all this Packers and Martellus Bennett News.

If I was his Agent I would get him signed very soon, or ASAP with some NFL Team.

Sign somewhere for almost anything and money. Get back in a starting lineup and try to play great.

It seems to me that has been the case and former Packers going elsewhere.

Get out of Green Bay and blossom.

woodbuck27
11-09-2017, 03:29 PM
http://www.patriots.com/news/2017/11/09/news-blitz-119-martellus-bennett-coming-back

News Blitz 11/9: Martellus Bennett coming back?

Comment woodbuck27:

It's being reported as being done on THe NFL Network

TE Martellus Bennett is back with the NE Patriots...claimed off the Waiver Wire.

As The NFL World Turns.

red
11-09-2017, 05:00 PM
so, does that mean we're going after his money?

should be able to get about 5 million back for him. we gave him a 6.3 million dollar signing bonus, and he played half of the 3 years he was suppose to be here

pbmax
11-09-2017, 05:06 PM
I think his attitude had a lot to do with everything that has transpired. His brother is a punk. He is one of the 3 who took a knee knowing how MM feels about it.

I suspect he quit on his team, was causing headaches and the team decided to make an example of him.

He also helped craft the statement that the team released about standing with the players (which McCarthy approved) and McCarthy said he was fine with the protest of the three players.

pbmax
11-09-2017, 05:13 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/11/09/former-packers-te-martellus-bennett-claimed-patriots/849079001/

Patriots claimed him on waivers. No word other than the transaction listing.

QBME
11-09-2017, 05:35 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/11/09/former-packers-te-martellus-bennett-claimed-patriots/849079001/

Patriots claimed him on waivers. No word other than the transaction listing.

Holy mother of pearl...Hoody Genius yet again pulls it off.

There was another post somewhere in another thread suggesting if Belichek releases a player nobody should be interested. Just one more instance of 3 dimensional chess vs. checkers.

Teamcheez1
11-09-2017, 05:55 PM
So what part of his contract are we still on the hook for?

pbmax
11-09-2017, 06:01 PM
So what part of his contract are we still on the hook for?

If he joins the Patriots, no more. And if he does join and play, as opposed to show up and go on IR to have surgery, I expect the Packers to claw back about 2/3 of his signing bonus in arbitration.

Pugger
11-09-2017, 08:27 PM
If I were a player up in GB I would feel like he bailed and I would be pissed. To hell with him. I pray NE never sniffs the SB this season.

woodbuck27
11-09-2017, 11:15 PM
If I were a player up in GB I would feel like he bailed and I would be pissed. To hell with him. I pray NE never sniffs the SB this season.

The Packers outright released him " for filure to disclose...

The Green Bay Packers were the aggressor here. The Packers said Bye Bye Martellus Bennett.

Martellus Bennett bacame a FA and has every right to pursue his career.

Packer players (may quietly even be pleased) for Martellus Bennett's good fortunes; or that he was able to secure work in the NFL again so soon and 'Low and Behold' with a REAL Super Bowl Contender. The New England Patriots with Hoody Genius just doing what he always has done or make every effort to improve his Patriots.

Bill Belichick is frankly again simply the NFL Genius. He's simply again 'on the job' daily competent. We'll now be able to see how this all plays out.

woodbuck27
11-09-2017, 11:26 PM
If he joins the Patriots, no more. And if he does join and play, as opposed to show up and go on IR to have surgery, I expect the Packers to claw back about 2/3 of his signing bonus in arbitration.

This is what I deem 'Mud In Your Face' stuff.

It's going to be an interesting watch. :-)

Pugger
11-09-2017, 11:44 PM

The Green Bay Packers were the aggressor here. The Packers said Bye Bye Martellus Bennett.

Packer players (may quietly even be pleased) for Martellus Bennett's good fortunes;or that he was able to secure work in the NFL again so soon and 'Low and Behold' with a REAL Super Bowl Contender. The New England Patriots with Hoody Genius just doing what he always has done or make every effort to improve his Patriots.

Bill Belichick is frankly again simply the NFL Genius. He's simply again 'on the job' daily competent. We'll now be able to see how this all plays out.

Did you not read Bahk's tweet?

woodbuck27
11-09-2017, 11:47 PM

I don't give a damn about anyone's tweet and Martellus Bennett.

What any Packer says or thinks or Tweets isn't of any concern to me.

pbmax
11-10-2017, 07:18 AM

I am not seeing it on his feed. What was the Tweet?

pbmax
11-10-2017, 07:19 AM
Torn rotator cuff.

Ian Rapoport
Just reported on @gmfb: The #Packers waived TE Martellus Bennett because of a torn rotator cuff, per sources. He may try to play through it, but if he cannot, the #Patriots could put him on Injured Reserve. No risk for them.

hoosier
11-10-2017, 08:50 AM
No risk for NE? Haven't they become responsible for rest of this year's contract?

beveaux1
11-10-2017, 09:15 AM
No risk for NE? Haven't they become responsible for rest of this year's contract?

I don’t think so. His contract for this year is paid by Green Bay. We may be able to get out of part of the signing bonus through arbitration. New England is responsible for the remainder of his contract.

pbmax
11-10-2017, 10:03 AM
Yes, New England is responsible for the rest of the contract this year. But its not guaranteed base salaries, so basically its week to week at this point.

pbmax
11-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Mike Reiss @MikeReiss
Martellus Bennett is present at Patriots practice, which reflects how he passed his physical with the team.

Pugger
11-10-2017, 11:09 AM
I am not seeing it on his feed. What was the Tweet?

It is on the page over on Footballs Future.

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/3848-packers-release-martellus-bennett/?page=9

Pugger
11-10-2017, 11:12 AM
I don't give a damn about anyone's tweet and Martellus Bennett.

What any Packer says or thinks or Tweets isn't of any concern to me.

I put more stock into what someone who might know more about what is going on at 1265 than a fan like you or me.

Pugger
11-10-2017, 11:14 AM
Mike Reiss @MikeReiss
Martellus Bennett is present at Patriots practice, which reflects how he passed his physical with the team.

Boy, that rotator cuff healed up pretty quick, huh? :roll:

woodbuck27
11-10-2017, 12:00 PM
Whoops..a double post.

woodbuck27
11-10-2017, 12:00 PM
I put more stock into what someone who might know more about what is going on at 1265 than a fan like you or me.

Try to understand this:

What any Packer RE: Michael Bennett..... says or thinks or tweets isn't of any concern to me.

As a fan it's just this:

A) The Packers released him reportedly ``for à failure to disclose an injury.

B) From that I would assume he must have an injury or some other issue like something mental or emotional not allowing him to be available to play football and up to a certain point in time prior to his release it became the case that the Green Bay Packers discovered à failure to disclose Issue....Thus the RELEASE.

C) If in fact I was his Agent and was well aware that Martellus Bennett was ìn fact`capable of playing and desiring to play after being released by the Green Bay Packers`. I would be pulling for him to be received by another NFL Team and active again playing for that NFL Team ASAP.

In fact... I posted that in a thread before the New England Patriots pulled him off the Waiver Wire.

We are now learning that `ìn fact `Michael Bennett is practising for the New England Patriots. That might mean that he`s OK to play for his former team.

D) As an NFL fan it is simply à good for Michael Bennett story to me. As a Green Bay Packer fan it's a bit of a mystery why he was released by the Green Bay Packers under ' à failure to disclose`or what didn't he disclose in terms of an injury or some emotional or mental issue?

What is missing here Pugger?

I'm just as you say a fan and that's not my business as to determine the absolute TRUTH beyond speculation.

I do perceive that obviously the Green Bay Packer BRASS may have found themselves in possibly an embarassing situation here and Martellus Bennett and of late in embarrassing situations.

I'll elabourate on that:

Isn't it something like MM being 'all in' and Backup QB Brett Hundley and then we learn that the Packers went after QB Brian Hoyer before the NE Patriots scooped him after his release from the San Fran 49ers. If 'in fact' TT went after QB Brian Hoyer after MM's stance and his 3 Year Project Brett Hundley. Might MM not be a tad pissed at TT? Might that have raised his Irish temper? Such a move by TT if he made it might be embarrassing to MM.

Isn't it very possible (or even remotely possible that) the wheels are coming off things and Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy; or their may be a communication and co-operation Issue...it's otherwise deemed 'a failure to communicate' or a failure of 'I'll have your back if you have mine'? :idea:

Pugger? Anyone ?? .... :-)

bobblehead
11-10-2017, 12:02 PM
He also helped craft the statement that the team released about standing with the players (which McCarthy approved) and McCarthy said he was fine with the protest of the three players.

Thats what you say when you have lost the ability to do anything about it.

bobblehead
11-10-2017, 12:03 PM
Holy mother of pearl...Hoody Genius yet again pulls it off.

There was another post somewhere in another thread suggesting if Belichek releases a player nobody should be interested. Just one more instance of 3 dimensional chess vs. checkers.

Wasn't it posed that Bennet is a washed up mess that TT screwed up big time? So which is it?

Pugger
11-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Try to understand this:

What any Packer RE: Michael Bennett..... says or thinks or tweets isn't of any concern to me.

As a fan it`s just this:

A) The Packers released him reportedly ``for à failure to disclose an injury.

B) From that I would assume he must have an injury or some other issue like something mental or emotional not allowing him to be available to play football and up to a certain point in time prior to his release it became the case that the Green Bay Packers discovered à failure to disclose Issue....Thus the RELEASE.

C) If in fact I was his Agent and was well aware that Martellus Bennett was ìn fact`capable of playing and desiring to play after being released by the Green Bay Packers`. I would be pulling for him to be received by another NFL Team and active again playing for that NFL Team ASAP.

In fact... I posted that in a thread before the New England Patriots pulled him off the Waiver Wire.

We are now learning that `ìn fact `Michael Bennett is practising for the New England Patriots. That might mean that he`s OK to play for his former team.

D) As an NFL fan it is simply à good for Michael Bennett story to me. As a GreenBay Packer fan it`s a bit of a Mystery why he was released by the Green Bay Packers under ' à failure to disclose`or what didn`t he disclose in terms of an injury or some emotional or mental issue?

What is missing here Pugger?

I'm just as you say a fan and that's not my business but I do perceive that the Green Bay Packer BRASS may have found themselves in possibly an embarassing situation.

Isn't it something like MM being 'all in' and Brett Hundley and then we learn that the Packers went after QB Brian Hoyer before the NE Patriots scooped him after his release fromthe San Fran 49ers.

Isn't it very possible the wheels are coming off things and Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy or their may be a communication and co-operation Issue...it's otherwise deemed a failure to communicate or a failure of 'Ill have your back if you have mine'? :idea:

I'm not talking about Bennett's tweets. I was talking about what David Bahktiari tweeted and how he and his teammates felt about this situation.

bobblehead
11-10-2017, 12:06 PM

Packer players (may quietly even be pleased) for Martellus Bennett's good fortunes; or that he was able to secure work in the NFL again so soon and 'Low and Behold' with a REAL Super Bowl Contender. The New England Patriots with Hoody Genius just doing what he always has done or make every effort to improve his Patriots.

So TT is a no talent hack who doesn't try to improve his roster through FA, but Hoody is a Genius for signing the guy TT signed through FA...got it. And his brother is going to kick my ass.

pbmax
11-10-2017, 12:06 PM
Thats what you say when you have lost the ability to do anything about it.

Other teams had a much stronger reaction.

McCarthy did as he has always done, kept the locker room together and focused.

pbmax
11-10-2017, 12:08 PM
Why does a Seattle Seahawks DE matter to the Packers?

bobblehead
11-10-2017, 12:11 PM
Other teams had a much stronger reaction.

McCarthy did as he has always done, kept the locker room together and focused.

Apparently not.

mraynrand
11-10-2017, 12:41 PM
Rotator cuff, eh? What about the paranoid schizophrenia, bipolar, and narcissistic personality disorders? What kind of medical staff was this anyway?

woodbuck27
11-10-2017, 12:43 PM
It is on the page over on Footballs Future.

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/3848-packers-release-martellus-bennett/?page=9

There is absolutely nothing and damning there on Martellus Bennett.

Ryan Wood ✔ @ByRyanWood
#Packers LT David Bakhtiari on Marty Bennett release: "Definitely surprised. We’re just disappointed with what happened with him. It was high expectations, and good guy that came in, but just kind of – it sucks. Kind of disappointed with how he handled stuff, how it went about. "

Ryan Wood ✔@ByRyanWood
Asked Bakhtiari if he felt Martellus Bennett quit on the #Packers, and he would not go that far. "I’ll just say I’m disappointed with how everything unfolded. I’ll leave it I at that."
4:44 PM - Nov 9, 2017

AND:

Ryan Wood ✔@ByRyanWood
#Packers OLB Ahmad Brooks said he asked Marty Bennett about the retirement announcement when players returned from the bye. "He said he was just talking crap," Brooks said. Brooks told me he does not believe Bennett was sincere about retirement. ... 4:55 PM - Nov 9, 2017

mraynrand
11-10-2017, 12:45 PM

well, except the fact he's a liar.

woodbuck27
11-10-2017, 12:52 PM
I'm not talking about Bennett's tweets. I was talking about what David Bahktiari tweeted and how he and his teammates felt about this situation.

Please Read my Post #58...this thread.

You have ZERO and anything clearly damning and Packer Players not down with Martellus Bennett.

This looks like 'a backfire .. back draft' to me.

The Green Bay Packer BRASS had better let this one simply be swept under the rug.

Arn't they very good at that anyway? :cry:

gbgary
11-10-2017, 12:53 PM
aaaaand he passes his physical. "ok...please cough."

mraynrand
11-10-2017, 12:55 PM
aaaaand he passes his physical. "ok...please cough."

mraynrand
11-10-2017, 12:56 PM
You have ZERO and anything clearly damning and Packer Players not down with Martellus Bennett.

except this:

Kind of disappointed with how he handled stuff

mraynrand
11-10-2017, 12:58 PM
Why on earth is Woodcock sticking up for Bennett?

woodbuck27
11-10-2017, 12:59 PM
So TT is a no talent hack who doesn't try to improve his roster through FA, but Hoody is a Genius for signing the guy TT signed through FA...got it. And his brother is going to kick my ass.

You must have a coaching staff that can properly coach talent.

Arn't we seeing that in Green Bay that coaching staff may be very limited compared with what is in The New England Patriots Organization?

Are New England fans not really pleased with everything and Patriots?

Why is there 'any discussion at all' and Green Bay Packer fans wanting to see any or all of: the Packer GM and HC and parts of to all of the Coaching Staff and Scouting Staff... GONE !? FIRED !

It's over the TOP too obvious or 'way too obvious' that after Aaron Rodgers there's a REAL MESS in Green Bay.

If you don't see that then I'll suggest that your in a severe state of DENIAL. Maybe your not really as I am trying to do or paying strict attention to it all and Green Bay Packers.

mraynrand
11-10-2017, 01:18 PM
Why is there 'any discussion at all' and Green Bay Packer fans wanting to see any or all of: the Packer GM and HC and parts of to all of the Coaching Staff and Scouting Staff... GONE !? FIRED !

because not everyone agrees with your dire assessment of the entire organization.

hoosier
11-10-2017, 01:22 PM

The enemy of my enemy....

woodbuck27
11-10-2017, 01:40 PM
Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand

The enemy of my enemy....

Hey mraynrand I informed you before...YOUR on IGNORE.

https://nosleeplessnights-o9omstpxiddhnwzt.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/white-noise-online.jpg

mraynrand
11-10-2017, 02:30 PM
Woodhead, I don't care if you don't respond. It's actually better that way.

woodbuck27
11-10-2017, 02:56 PM
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots/the_blitz/2017/11/patriots_teammates_excited_as_martellus_bennett_re turns_to

Patriots teammates excited as Martellus Bennett returns to practice

Adam Kurkjian Friday, November 10, 2017

" ...Pats wide receiver Danny Amendola knows what Bennett can bring to the team.

"Just his athleticism, he can run and catch," Amendola said. "He blocks well in the run game, obviously. Just an all-around good football player. He knows the system. He knows the environment. He knows the energy when you walk into the building every day and he's familiar with that. He's . . . Marty B is back."

Although he does not know Bennett, wide receiver Brandin Cooks has heard good things about the tight end.

"Yeah, I've heard he's a great guy, a great player," Cooks said. "So I'm glad to have him back." ..."

Comment woodbuck27:

It just doesn't seem to work out often and TE in Green Bay nor on Defense nor after Aaron Rodgers on Offense.

I wonder why that's the case?

Could it be poor coaching?

woodbuck27
11-10-2017, 03:13 PM
Comment woodbuck27:

Are TT and MM on the same Page:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2017/11/10/martellus-bennett-practice-with-patriots/Ax4hWueaZFkGZZ1X9cZcMM/story.html?p1=Article_Recirculation_Pos2

" ...Bennett wasn’t doing anything strenuous during the portion of practice open to reporters, but it was notable to see him out on the field after Green Bay waived him with the designation that he did not report a medical condition, which the NFL Network is reporting is a torn rotator cuff.

It was also notable for the contrast with what Packers coach Mike McCarthy told reporters in Green Bay Friday about the last conversation he’d had with Bennett.

“The last medical conversation I was involved with, they were talking about scheduling surgery,” McCarthy said. ..."

red
11-10-2017, 03:25 PM
definately sounds like he was just pulling a dick move to get out of town

says he was told by other DR's that he needed surgery, and the team wanted him to play through it

so why has he not had the surgery? why did he pass a physical with such an injury, why is he at practice

its time to go hard after him and the money we gave him, and maybe time to go after the pats

Sparkey
11-10-2017, 03:33 PM
https://nosleeplessnights-o9omstpxiddhnwzt.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/white-noise-online.jpg

Interestingly enough, this is an accurate interpretation of many a woodbuck post. :cnf:

Sparkey
11-10-2017, 03:34 PM
Because now that he has Tom Brady @ qb, it doesn't bother him as much......

Cheesehead Craig
11-10-2017, 03:37 PM

says he was told by other DR's that he needed surgery, and the team wanted him to play through it

so why has he not had the surgery? why did he pass a physical with such an injury, why is he at practice

its time to go hard after him and the money we gave him, and maybe time to go after the pats

Because his injury was:

http://www.carlosbaena.com/uploaded_images/Elaine_fakefake-706371.jpg

Smidgeon
11-10-2017, 04:04 PM

Sure. The Packers doctors wanted him to play through an injury. The most notorious staff for playing it safe with injuries wanted him to play through one.

Sure.

Uh-huh.

woodbuck27
11-10-2017, 04:05 PM
Because his injury was:

http://www.carlosbaena.com/uploaded_images/Elaine_fakefake-706371.jpg

I've suffered 'a Rotator Cuff injury' and you cannot fake such an injury.

Such an injury makes it difficult to put your hat on a shelf above shoulder height. It takes a long long time if ever to come back from such injury. How many MLB Pitchers had to retire due to Rotator Cuff injury?

Answer:

A lot !

If Martellus Bennet had such an injury anytime between last Season playing very well with the Pat's and right now (or today) it would be too obvious. Would Martellus BHennett be practising with the New England Patriots just days after the Green Bay Packers released him on 'a failure to disclose an injury....' if Martellus had such serious injury?

NO !

We are now aware that Mike McCarthy thought that Martellus Bennett was being considered for surgery and some form of injury. We have a diect quote from MM and that as a fact.

The question we need to be asking here is in terms of the Right Hand talking to or communicating thouroughly with the Left Hand.

What is going on and communications between Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy?

pbmax
11-10-2017, 04:15 PM
From Bennett's Instagram:

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/166/837/7837166.jpg

pbmax
11-10-2017, 04:16 PM
Censored word rhymes with buck:

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/170/837/7837170.jpg

pbmax
11-10-2017, 04:18 PM
https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/172/837/7837172.jpg

pbmax
11-10-2017, 04:19 PM
https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/179/837/7837179.jpg

woodbuck27
11-10-2017, 04:33 PM

As that is and as that is 'the TRUTH' it certainly is damning and Ted Thompson.

I'll add this:

This one is a strange one.

denverYooper
11-10-2017, 05:00 PM
So you're telling me that suddenly the Packers, a team known to be conservative with injuries and known for treating its players well when it comes to their health, suddenly just tried forcing this one guy to play through an injury that required surgery.

denverYooper
11-10-2017, 05:02 PM
He was saying things, man. Things.

Like rest and ice are your best friend.

It almost sounds like Bennett just went ahead and got the surgery done on his own.

red
11-10-2017, 05:17 PM

that just proves it all BS

packers doc is insanely conservative

denverYooper
11-10-2017, 05:19 PM
that just proves it all BS

packers doc is insanely conservative

Yep. We've pissed and moaned about their conservative approach for years.

denverYooper
11-10-2017, 05:33 PM
From Jordy Nelson:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOTdSmTXUAAcp0g.jpg:large

Rastak
11-10-2017, 05:51 PM
Not sure what to make of it. His point was after his retirement musings he was convinced the Packers were about to fuck him. I would imagine the Packers felt the same way in reverse given the financial commitment.

Maybe a perfect storm of mistrust? The fact he shows up in New England practicing makes me wary that the entire story is out there.

esoxx
11-10-2017, 06:54 PM
Wow this guy is dumber than I thought and a real POS. Putting out the BS about Dr. McKenzie will backfire big time on him. He's going to get buried on this.

woodbuck27
11-10-2017, 09:27 PM

Is this ligitimate?

The thing here that rings out to me is Martellus Bennett (again if this is the TRUTH or REAL) on the advice of three (non related to the Green Bay Packer... DOCTORS) and all three advised that he had to get whatever fixed.

He then followed up after those three Doctor consultations by securing a sugical repair all and of his own accord.

Frankly I have been a fan od Pro Sports for over 60 years and has this type of thing and player injury ever happened just like this before?

Where this might go is going to be a education and Pro Sports and how injuries are handled at all levels.

It's a mess.

woodbuck27
11-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Wow this guy is dumber than I thought and a real POS. Putting out the BS about Dr. McKenzie will backfire big time on him. He's going to get buried on this.

This is way out there.....weird.

ND72
11-10-2017, 10:33 PM

Here's the problem. he practiced today, and said he's completely healthy in an interview. so if he's "completely healthy" then what's the point of this?

I was a HUGE Bennett fan/supporter. Now's he's just proving to be a bitch. He can post every day now about how the packers f'd him. F him. pull the string out of your V and play football.

ND72
11-10-2017, 10:35 PM
Because now that he has Tom Brady @ qb, it doesn't bother him as much......

Rodgers - "We need to win one of these"

Hundley - "Ouch, my shoulder"

Brady - "Man those packers are bitches, I'm good."

denverYooper
11-10-2017, 11:34 PM
Rodgers weighs in:

aaronrodgers12I've been working with Dr. McKenzie for 13 years, and as well as being a phenomenal doctor, he's also become a close friend. He's done surgery on me twice, and I trust him and his opinion implicitly. Doc has always tried to protect me and my future, even if it meant protecting me from myself and my desire to get back on the field before I should. #gbpfamily #mydoc #ibackpat

denverYooper
11-10-2017, 11:46 PM
Also Leroy Butler and TJ Lang.

Seems like the attack on Dr. McKenzie has touched a nerve.

The path has been illuminated. The Packers will rally around Dr. McKenzie and hold the season together by a thread until Rodgers returns. They sneak into the playoffs at 9-7 and go on a run for the ages, defeating the Patriots in the Superbowl.

pbmax
11-11-2017, 07:38 AM
Not sure what to make of it. His point was after his retirement musings he was convinced the Packers were about to fuck him. I would imagine the Packers felt the same way in reverse given the financial commitment.

Maybe a perfect storm of mistrust? The fact he shows up in New England practicing makes me wary that the entire story is out there.

Except, and I might have the timeline wrong, he mused about retirement THEN suddenly couldn't practice because of the shoulder. Hard to see where the team did something there.

pbmax
11-11-2017, 08:10 AM
There were more instagram posts:

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/180/837/7837180.jpg

pbmax
11-11-2017, 08:11 AM
https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/181/837/7837181.jpg

pbmax
11-11-2017, 08:12 AM
https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/193/837/7837193.jpg

pbmax
11-11-2017, 08:13 AM
https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/196/837/7837196.jpg

pbmax
11-11-2017, 08:23 AM
Tom Crabtree @itsCrab
I have a hard time believing they tried rushing him back with that injury.

In 2012 they were paying me far less than him, I was similarly ineffective on the field and they sat me in preseason game 4 with just a sprained shoulder.

mraynrand
11-11-2017, 08:42 AM
"I was similarly ineffective"

Thanks Tom. Needed that one. lol

mraynrand
11-11-2017, 09:19 AM
How ironic is it that the Patriots signed a turncoat?

ThunderDan
11-11-2017, 11:35 AM
https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/181/837/7837181.jpg

That’s the money shot to me. If you are hurt so much and you saw 3 other doctors that all said you needed surgery to fix your shoulder, why are you now practicing with NE without having the surgery?

Sorry Marty but you are a punk bitch after tha5 move.

bobblehead
11-11-2017, 12:43 PM
https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/172/837/7837172.jpg

I can only assume he is done for the year and NOT playing for the pats. I mean, if it needs surgery in GB it needs surgery in NE right?

bobblehead
11-11-2017, 12:46 PM

racist!!

denverYooper
11-11-2017, 12:52 PM

This.

If he just bashed the organization and left it at that, he probably doesn't provoke the same reaction. It's pretty clear that a lot of current and former players are pissed that he threw McKenzie under the bus.

pbmax
11-11-2017, 01:05 PM
I think its clearly a battle of strategy to get paid and get healed in some fashion versus having to carry the player on the roster/IR/cap. I bet the Packers were worried about him tanking with this injury/retirement talk after Rodgers got hurt and Bennett made a business decision that if he was going to sacrifice the shoulder, he should be getting a return on the effort beyond the paycheck.

After the signing bonus in 2017, his deal in 2018 wasn't guaranteed. Better contract bylaws probably can eliminate that conflict.

Bringing in McKenzie into the argument seems dumb and to have backfired.

I also don't get why there would be mistrust on the Packers side about "keeping him on the roster for next year". If he has surgery while on the team IR, what downside is there for the Packers to wait it out?

bobblehead
11-11-2017, 02:32 PM
This.

If he just bashed the organization and left it at that, he probably doesn't provoke the same reaction. It's pretty clear that a lot of current and former players are pissed that he threw McKenzie under the bus.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/11/10/martellus-bennett-practices-new-england-patriots-injury-questions-linger/852533001/

I think we are up to 10 players who have Doc Mckenzies back. Bennett is looking like a real POS right now....just like his brother who is going to kick my ass.

mraynrand
11-11-2017, 06:28 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/11/10/martellus-bennett-practices-new-england-patriots-injury-questions-linger/852533001/

I think we are up to 10 players who have Doc Mckenzies back. Bennett is looking like a real POS right now....just like his brother who is going to kick my ass.

Is that going to be a PPV event in Vegas? If so, I'm in. I'd put money on you based on his last Vegas event.

woodbuck27
11-11-2017, 09:05 PM
http://www.nbcsports.com/boston/martellus-bennett

Watching the Video in this LINK:

It looks like he's going to try and play through with his injury with the NE Patriots.

If he can survive until the end of the Season he'll put off any necessary surgery until the Off Season.

If he 'in fact ' has a torn Rotator Cuff Injury and based on my experience with such.

His Season is over.

pbmax
11-12-2017, 08:38 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000875165/article/packers-intend-to-go-after-martellus-bennetts-signing-bonus

Nice review of the contretemps AND the news that Bennett has a chance to play for the Patriots tonight.

Rapoport has a source tells him Bennett has a medical test in his file that shows the extent of his original injury and that the Packers, from consulting his file, should have been aware of it.

denverYooper
11-12-2017, 10:45 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000875165/article/packers-intend-to-go-after-martellus-bennetts-signing-bonus

Nice review of the contretemps AND the news that Bennett has a chance to play for the Patriots tonight.

Rapoport has a source tells him Bennett has a medical test in his file that shows the extent of his original injury and that the Packers, from consulting his file, should have been aware of it.

I didn't catch the part about them being able to consult his file. There was this:

One source said there is proof in the form of a medical test to show the exact injury Bennett had in New England in 2016, though the team was not made aware of what it was or how serious. When the grievance is filed, the Packers' stance on the issue will become clearer.

Do teams have access to another team's medical records for the same player? It's not clear from that statement, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

bobblehead
11-12-2017, 11:49 AM
Is that going to be a PPV event in Vegas? If so, I'm in. I'd put money on you based on his last Vegas event.

I'll take the beating on national network as long as proceeds to to the NAAWP fund.

woodbuck27
11-12-2017, 11:59 AM
So the Packers are going to try to get Martellus Bennettès Signing BONUS back.

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/man-shaking-his-head-fingers-pointed-him-against-white-background-43076691.jpg

What a fricken mess 'of finger pointing' this is.

woodbuck27
11-12-2017, 12:07 PM
http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4807848/patriots-can-expect-to-get-martellus-bennetts-best-just-like-2016

Patriots can expect to get Martellus Bennett's best, just like 2016

Comment woodbuck27:

Looking at this tells me that the Green Bay Packers have a solid case.

pbmax
11-12-2017, 01:31 PM
I didn't catch the part about them being able to consult his file. There was this:

Do teams have access to another team's medical records for the same player? It's not clear from that statement, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Great question. I think the player might have to provide it. Not sure if teams must submit their file for players out of contract or waived.

George Cumby
11-12-2017, 06:02 PM
Am I the only one sharpening his schadenfreude?

mraynrand
11-12-2017, 06:08 PM
The ESPN radio guys are talking about Bennett's return to NE like it was a great trade or something and not that Bennett pulled a total dick move. Unreal.

pbmax
11-12-2017, 06:09 PM

Nope.

#NoTankBeatCheatriots

pbmax
11-12-2017, 06:10 PM
He is active! Its a miracle!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOeHa4SU8AApe7w.jpg:large

denverYooper
11-12-2017, 06:55 PM
Ross Tucker‏Verified account @RossTuckerNFL
42m42 minutes ago

So the guy that complained about Packers asking him to play thru shoulder injury is voluntarily playing thru said injury for another team? ��

esoxx
11-12-2017, 07:30 PM

I'm also sharpening brother.

Joemailman
11-12-2017, 07:35 PM
We'll never forget you Mort.

bobblehead
11-12-2017, 07:39 PM
Great question. I think the player might have to provide it. Not sure if teams must submit their file for players out of contract or waived.

I would guess HIPPA prohibits them from sharing his file without his consent.

bobblehead
11-12-2017, 07:43 PM
I heard somewhere that since its prior to week 10, that the packers would get a 4th comp pick for bennett (the round he was valued at when we signed him)

bobblehead
11-12-2017, 07:54 PM
It is starting to appear as though the truth is not a highly valued asset in the bennett household. I'm thinking mama bennett probably could have done a better job.

Vincenzo
11-12-2017, 08:21 PM
He is active! Its a miracle!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOeHa4SU8AApe7w.jpg:large
Can you believe this piece of crap, him and his $6.3 million signing bonus.
So basically he’s complaining that he is hurt and needs season ending surgery in Green Bay but now miraculously he’s healthy enough to take Pass from Tom Brady.

You gotta wonder if the Packers can’t sue the jerk off for some sort of fraud.

pbmax
11-12-2017, 09:15 PM
I would guess HIPPA prohibits them from sharing his file without his consent.

That could be taken care of in contract language or the CBA.

mraynrand
11-12-2017, 11:47 PM
Can you believe this piece of crap, him and his $6.3 million signing bonus.
So basically he’s complaining that he is hurt and needs season ending surgery in Green Bay but now miraculously he’s healthy enough to take Pass from Tom Brady.

You gotta wonder if the Packers can’t sue the jerk off for some sort of fraud.

What's really awful is that the NFL talking heads have collectively decided that this isn't an important story. I wonder if everyone was told to bury this. Al Michaels: "The ending was ugly in Green Bay" Really Al? That's it.

And Hoodie - this is another huge strike against his character. One wonders if he wasn't on the phone during the whole thing, from the point of the Rodgers injury on. Ugly indeed.

Freak Out
11-13-2017, 12:00 AM
The Packers are trying to get the signing bonus back correct?

Maxie the Taxi
11-13-2017, 07:11 AM
The POS switched teams five times in 10 years. He spent 4 years in Dallas and 3 in Chicago for cripes sake. What a pedigree! Ted blew it, plain and simple.

And I don't think it says anything pertinent about the principle of signing free agents any more than Reggie White's signing does. In fact, those two FA signings sort of prove that character matters.

beveaux1
11-13-2017, 07:53 AM
The POS switched teams five times in 10 years. He spent 4 years in Dallas and 3 in Chicago for cripes sake. What a pedigree! Ted blew it, plain and simple.

And I don't think it says anything pertinent about the principle of signing free agents any more than Reggie White's signing does. In fact, those two FA signings sort of prove that character matters.

When he was signed, he made a point of talking about how great a QB that Rodgers is, to the point of saying that Rodgers is the best QB in the game. He doesn’t have allegiance to the Packers- he really doesn’t have allegiance to any team. He signed to play with Rodgers and have a chance for a ring. When Rodgers went down, his reason for playing in Green Bay ended. I would project that if Rodgers had stayed healthy, Bennett would have been an asset to the team.

He is a true free agent. A hired gun or a mercenary that makes your team better, but with his own motivations. I don’t believe he’s a POS. I think he convinced himself that when Rodgers went down, his reason for playing here was finished. I think that upset the management of the team, but I suspect, they’ll get back some of the money paid based upon his Facebook comments and the fact that he played in New England even though he told Green Bay that he needed season ending surgery.

I’m not against free agency, but it has its pitfalls. Teams that use it extensively suffer in team chemistry. Seldom does their records reflect the outlay in money and resources. Lightly used, it can help the team. We got burned this time. Next time, we might not.

Zool
11-13-2017, 07:58 AM
First Terry Glenn and now this. Stop signing exPatriots!

mraynrand
11-13-2017, 08:01 AM
When he was signed, he made a point of talking about how great a QB that Rodgers is, to the point of saying that Rodgers is the best QB in the game. He doesn’t have allegiance to the Packers- he really doesn’t have allegiance to any team. He signed to play with Rodgers and have a chance for a ring. When Rodgers went down, his reason for playing in Green Bay ended. I would project that if Rodgers had stayed healthy, Bennett would have been an asset to the team.

He is a true free agent. A hired gun or a mercenary that makes your team better, but with his own motivations. I don’t believe he’s a POS. I think he convinced himself that when Rodgers went down, his reason for playing here was finished. I think that upset the management of the team, but I suspect, they’ll get back some of the money paid based upon his Facebook comments and the fact that he played in New England even though he told Green Bay that he needed season ending surgery.

I’m not against free agency, but it has its pitfalls. Teams that use it extensively suffer in team chemistry. Seldom does their records reflect the outlay in money and resources. Lightly used, it can help the team. We got burned this time. Next time, we might not.

OK fine, he's a mercenary. But he's still a POS because the fucker pulled the retirement ploy and then faked an injury to get out of town. He and 'cheat deserve each other. I'd bet good money they were talking it up since the Rodgers injury. The rest of the league is compliant, but mostly out of wise necessity (who else would sign him after he made it clear he wanted back with the patsies.)

mraynrand
11-13-2017, 08:01 AM
First Terry Glenn and now this. Stop signing exPatriots!

we prefer the term 'Turncoats'

red
11-13-2017, 08:07 AM
The ESPN radio guys are talking about Bennett's return to NE like it was a great trade or something and not that Bennett pulled a total dick move. Unreal.

he also just admitted that he told every other team NOT to clain him because he was gonna have surgery

explains why the pats were able to claim him

Joemailman
11-13-2017, 08:11 AM
The NFL should be looking into whether the Patriots were talking to Bennett while he was still under contract with the Packers. That would be tampering.

mraynrand
11-13-2017, 08:11 AM
he also just admitted that he told every other team NOT to clain him because he was gonna have surgery

explains why the pats were able to claim him

I figured this was just professional courtesy that NFL teams do when another team wants a player. At the same time, it doesn't surprise me that Bennett lied to every team or that no team would want to touch him except Cheater Bill.

mraynrand
11-13-2017, 08:14 AM
The NFL should be looking into whether the Patriots were talking to Bennett while he was still under contract with the Packers. That would be tampering.

They should. But that spineless jellyfish Goodell won't get near this one.

Krafty moves in NE to be sure.

ThunderDan
11-13-2017, 08:25 AM

You don't want to be fighting both Kraft and Jones if you are Goodell.

red
11-13-2017, 09:02 AM
now he's saying he's talked to 6 or 7 doctors, not just the 3 he said he saw a couple days ago

and they were divided in their opinion. some say he should get the surgery, some say he can play

but when the paxkers team doc said he could play, that was crossing the line

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/13/martellus-bennett-i-told-to-not-claim-me-but-patriots-did-anyway/

woodbuck27
11-13-2017, 09:27 AM

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/503/499/ted-thompson_display_image.jpg?1289788832

Well ... ahhh... errrr... dahhh ... ahhhh ....yaaa... sure ...well.

ahh ... I guess that well yaa.... I sorta well ahh...blew it on that one. Good thing ahh.... we still have my Pic ...whaa... mmmm... Richard Rodgers.

denverYooper
11-13-2017, 10:34 AM
Not many seem to be buying Bennett's story.

Lawrence Tynes‏Verified account @lt4kicks
14h14 hours ago

Martellus Bennett’s shoulder injury is related to a broken collar bone suffered by another player, a first in modern day medicine. This will be studied for years

Maxie the Taxi
11-13-2017, 10:59 AM

I’m not against free agency, but it has its pitfalls. Teams that use it extensively suffer in team chemistry. Seldom does their records reflect the outlay in money and resources. Lightly used, it can help the team. We got burned this time. Next time, we might not.Didn't the POS win a ring last year?

And he is a POS because he's been dishonest in his dealings.

And what NFL professional isn't a "hired gun." It's the nature of professional sports since Curt Flood.

Of course free agency has its pitfalls, but if teams are careful and lucky it turns out pretty good. See New England and the Rams. And we GB fans know all too well that draft and develop has its pitfalls too.

mraynrand
11-13-2017, 11:04 AM

14h14 hours ago

Martellus Bennett’s shoulder injury is related to a broken collar bone suffered by another player, a first in modern day medicine. This will be studied for years

Sympathetic injuries have been inflicted since the dawn of man. That's why they burned the witches in NE. Wait a second, who else is in New England and weighs the same as a duck?

mraynrand
11-13-2017, 11:05 AM
man, only an idiot like woodcock would blame this one on TT

hoosier
11-13-2017, 11:15 AM

14h14 hours ago

Nice!

Pugger
11-13-2017, 11:45 AM

I think he is a POS. Every team other than NE that he has ever played with has no use for him. The only reason he didn't burn any bridges in NE is because he won a ring with them. If something happens up there and things go to hell his widdle rotator cuff will start to hurt again and he'll quit on them too.

Pugger
11-13-2017, 11:49 AM
man, only an idiot like woodcock would blame this one on TT

No kidding.

pbmax
11-13-2017, 12:01 PM
Sympathetic injuries have been inflicted since the dawn of man. That's why they burned the witches in NE. Wait a second, who else is in New England and weighs the same as a duck?

Very small rocks!

pbmax
11-13-2017, 12:21 PM
Bennett had his agent tell teams he was going to have surgery and retire. Somehow, he made it through to New England's spot on the waiver wire.

Les Bowen @LesBowen
And he got to the Pats in the waiver order because he had his agent tell other teams he was retiring. He and/or the agent should face sanctions.

red
11-13-2017, 12:39 PM

Churches, or very small rocks?

Tony Oday
11-13-2017, 12:41 PM

A very small rock?

Tony Oday
11-13-2017, 12:42 PM
Churches, or very small rocks?

Hahaha damn beat me to it!

red
11-13-2017, 12:42 PM
Lots of great minds working in this thread

red
11-13-2017, 12:43 PM
Hahaha damn beat me to it!

Pb beat us both lol

Vincenzo
11-13-2017, 12:56 PM
Boomer said this this morning:
“So while it's smart by New England to pick up Martellus, I personally find it to be reprehensible that he acted this way towards the Green Bay Packers and now has found himself on a better team and a better situation. And it seems very selfish to me."

The dumbest thing the Packers did was to sign this guy, the smartest thing the team did was cut him.
Good riddance Marty.

Vincenzo
11-13-2017, 01:18 PM
The Packers are trying to get the signing bonus back correct?
“According to NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport, the team is looking to recoup Bennett’s signing bonus, on the grounds that he did not inform them of the severity of his shoulder injury when he was signed.”

Bossman641
11-13-2017, 01:19 PM
Bennett is a real piece of shit. It baffles me on how anyone could take his side in this whole ordeal.

hoosier
11-13-2017, 01:35 PM
Bennett is a real piece of shit. It baffles me on how anyone could take his side in this whole ordeal.

Who is taking his side? If it's true that his agent was spinning the surgery and retirement line to the rest of the teams then the agent should be barred for a year.

mraynrand
11-13-2017, 01:47 PM
I'm not so much concerned someone 'taking his side' but whether this kind of crap is going to be allowed.

beveaux1
11-13-2017, 04:50 PM
I'm not so much concerned someone 'taking his side' but whether this kind of crap is going to be allowed.

Packers will get some of the money back, but I don't think the NFL will step in and do something to either the Patriots or the mercenary.

Fritz
11-13-2017, 05:12 PM
Packers will get some of the money back, but I don't think the NFL will step in and do something to either the Patriots or the mercenary.

Give the Packers the Pats' fourth round pick this year!

bobblehead
11-14-2017, 02:06 AM
Only thing to do is get hot and beat them in the super bowl...that would be the richest payback ever.

mraynrand
11-14-2017, 04:03 AM
Only thing to do is get hot and beat them in the super bowl...that would be the richest payback ever.

Ha ha. You are thinking in the old ways. You need to get up to speed. That Bennett will still be a member of the Patriots by Super Bowl time is not a certainty. If NE should lose in the AFC championship game, it's likely Bennett 'mistakenly' travels home with the other team.

pbmax
11-14-2017, 08:31 AM
I am in favor of any player using the available rules to get what they want in terms of employment and compensation.

That Bennett pulled this particular stunt just reveals his priorities, which are not all that surprising given his history of short stays on a lot of teams. Even Romo couldn't work up much nice to say about Bennett when he recalled they used to be on the same team.

This is why FA is fools gold. :D

Maxie the Taxi
11-14-2017, 09:00 AM
I am in favor of any player using the available rules to get what they want in terms of employment and compensation.

That Bennett pulled this particular stunt just reveals his priorities, which are not all that surprising given his history of short stays on a lot of teams. Even Romo couldn't work up much nice to say about Bennett when he recalled they used to be on the same team.

This is why FA is fools gold. :DNon-sequitur. This is why Bennett was fools gold.:-)

Pugger
11-14-2017, 09:20 AM

This is why FA is fools gold. :D

Bennett is getting the same salary from NE that he got from us so what you are saying here rings hollow. Bennett wanted to get out of town once #12 broke his collarbone. He only looks out for #1, not his teammates or the team signing his checks. NE is the only team he ever played on that has any use for him and that's because they win. If something happens over there - Brady and a bunch of players go down and they start to lose - Bennett will quit on them too.

pbmax
11-14-2017, 09:32 AM
Bennett is getting the same salary from NE that he got from us so what you are saying here rings hollow. Bennett wanted to get out of town once #12 broke his collarbone. He only looks out for #1, not his teammates or the team signing his checks. NE is the only team he ever played on that has any use for him and that's because they win. If something happens over there - Brady and a bunch of players go down and they start to lose - Bennett will quit on them too.

But he didn't want to play and risk his shoulder with what he viewed as a non-contender. Its a fair read of the situation. Get paid and stay safe on IR for Packers or get paid and chase a ring with New England.

But it does make him a terrible teammate and its one reason to be somewhat suspicious of FAs.

mraynrand
11-14-2017, 09:41 AM
geezus PB

denverYooper
11-14-2017, 10:33 AM
Making the rounds on twitter:

Martellus Bennett Packers:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOekr5NXcAIsdwz.jpg

Martellus Bennett Patriots:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOekscAWsAEnEi4.jpg

denverYooper
11-14-2017, 10:41 AM
But he didn't want to play and risk his shoulder with what he viewed as a non-contender. Its a fair read of the situation. Get paid and stay safe on IR for Packers or get paid and chase a ring with New England.

But it does make him a terrible teammate and its one reason to be somewhat suspicious of FAs.

https://tradesecretslaw.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/costanza.jpg

pbmax
11-14-2017, 10:45 AM
https://tradesecretslaw.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/costanza.jpg

Where he REALLY blew it was trying to throw the Doc under the bus. Not only did it not make sense with McKenzie's previous performance, but as of late Monday night, he has just proven that the Doc's most likely diagnosis, its torn but you are not likely to make it worse by continuing to play if you can manage the pain, was absolutely correct.

Pugger
11-14-2017, 10:58 AM

Really pb?? smh

pbmax
11-14-2017, 11:04 AM
Really pb?? smh

If you want an individual to evaluate their own tolerance for risk and make the decision for themselves, you can't pick their goals for them. Its hard to put value on team and camaraderie already and then add in a system that largely serves to make you close to disposable.

This is what this guy does and it seems pretty consistent.

And its kinda weird to blame the player for making basically the same decision team's make when letting players go.

Can't help us win a championship? Bye. Brett Goode didn't get paid while healing enough to be active for Game Days.

mraynrand
11-14-2017, 12:11 PM
If you want an individual to evaluate their own tolerance for risk and make the decision for themselves, you can't pick their goals for them. Its hard to put value on team and camaraderie already and then add in a system that largely serves to make you close to disposable.

This is what this guy does and it seems pretty consistent.

And its kinda weird to blame the player for making basically the same decision team's make when letting players go.

Can't help us win a championship? Bye. Brett Goode didn't get paid while healing enough to be active for Game Days.

honest to god I don't know who stole your account. I don't have time to unpack all that's wrong here, but just for examples: Goode was actually hurt - and I believe he did get paid an injury settlement. He knows, and the Packers know that he's not quire valuable enough to stash on IR to return. Their method - legal, with in the rules - gave him a way to come back when healthy. And get paid.

Sure, tell me Bennett is hurting - sorry I don't believe you, I believe my lying eyes, that saw him pretty much perfectly fine before and after his 'retirement' announcement. The system has some rules and people play by them and a lot of guys make a lot of money. Bennett signed a contract, and unlike some coaches, who put a clause in to go to another team if that job opens, Marty didn't negotiate a clause to quit (get waived) if Rodgers got hurt. He gamed the system, perhaps in a way that will draw a fine or some sort of reprimand (did his agent lie to clear waivers?). The Packers signed him with expectations of having him for one year. Had he really been hurt, they would have IRed him and paid him, wouldn't they? But he wasn't hurt and he found a slimy way to get out of his contract - basically by threatening to become a locker room cancer.

From your description, there's no reason any player - including Rodgers - shouldn't try this if they want to maneuver themselves onto a team capable of winning a championship.

But you know teams actually sign contracts so they have some certainty about their roster. But 'ol Marty's just doing what teams do, right? wrong.

Maxie the Taxi
11-14-2017, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't say there is an equivalency between employer and employee. There is an equivalency between employers which seems to have been the problem in this case.

The employee can find work only if there is an employer willing to hire him (or keep him). There are Free Agents in the NFL, but no Independent Contractors.

pbmax
11-14-2017, 02:19 PM
honest to god I don't know who stole your account. I don't have time to unpack all that's wrong here, but just for examples: Goode was actually hurt - and I believe he did get paid an injury settlement. He knows, and the Packers know that he's not quire valuable enough to stash on IR to return. Their method - legal, with in the rules - gave him a way to come back when healthy. And get paid.

Sure, tell me Bennett is hurting - sorry I don't believe you, I believe my lying eyes, that saw him pretty much perfectly fine before and after his 'retirement' announcement. The system has some rules and people play by them and a lot of guys make a lot of money. Bennett signed a contract, and unlike some coaches, who put a clause in to go to another team if that job opens, Marty didn't negotiate a clause to quit (get waived) if Rodgers got hurt. He gamed the system, perhaps in a way that will draw a fine or some sort of reprimand (did his agent lie to clear waivers?). The Packers signed him with expectations of having him for one year. Had he really been hurt, they would have IRed him and paid him, wouldn't they? But he wasn't hurt and he found a slimy way to get out of his contract - basically by threatening to become a locker room cancer.

From your description, there's no reason any player - including Rodgers - shouldn't try this if they want to maneuver themselves onto a team capable of winning a championship.

But you know teams actually sign contracts so they have some certainty about their roster. But 'ol Marty's just doing what teams do, right? wrong.

Bennett has a torn labrum, I don't think there is any doubt about that. His side said they have tests to prove it and the Packers would have known this if they reviewed his medical file. I suspect they did know because they seem competent and thorough, especially around FAs. Though the torn ACL for the new Browns WR a while back means they can make mistakes. McCarthy said they were talking about surgery dates. Unless you think Mike was taking time to bluff Marty, the coach thinks he has an injury and that means the Doc does too.

Can he play through it? Apparently so.

Is there a risk if you continue to play? McKenzie is very cautious so the risk is probably very low. But risk of a worse injury does exist and the player gets to decide what is worth playing through, not the team. If he does need surgery to fix, then playing for anyone delays the surgery. He might prefer to be healthy for the offseason if he has any doubts about the Packers hanging on to him.

Does this mean that Martellus Bennett is a me first player uninterested in team success over his own career? Probably.

Does this mean Bennett is useless to a successful football team? Apparently not to the Patriots.

Could other football players do this? Of course. This isn't the first time a team and player have disagreed about WHEN to have surgery and if you can play through it. This happens all the time. Its happened with Packers before.

It becomes an issue with very good players because there is demand for their services even if their mental make-up isn't all team first. What is different here than a contract hold out? If the player is good enough, they get away with it.

Did the Patriots and Bennett's rep orchestrate this? Probably.

pbmax
11-14-2017, 02:28 PM
I wouldn't say there is an equivalency between employer and employee. There is an equivalency between employers which seems to have been the problem in this case.

The employee can find work only if there is an employer willing to hire him (or keep him). There are Free Agents in the NFL, but no Independent Contractors.

Being able to find an employer is part of what gives better players more leverage despite the constraints of the standard contract and the CBA. Bennett seems to have been ready to have surgery and end up on IR. The Packers didn't want to encourage players to choose that route so they took their next best option, waive him and challenge his roster bonus.

There is a range of leverage which the teams enjoy, specifically with younger and more marginal players. Those did not apply to Bennett in this case, except for the risk to his unallocated bonus.

If Goode tried this, he probably would be unsigned. I also suspect Goode's path was the fastest way back to the team without carrying him on the roster.

pbmax
11-14-2017, 02:34 PM
Teams want roster certainty but also roster control. Especially about large financial risks.

Bennett played a game that allowed him to squirt free. The weird thing is that he was a one year cost, or so I would have thought. but Bennett claimed the Packers were panicking about him counting against their roster/cap next year. Do IR players have some different impact if they are on IR for the end of the season compared to normal veterans? Does it limit making roster moves with them in the offseason?

Because the only reason I see for him contending this, and the Packers to actually be worried about it, would be if season ending IR made it a financial liability for next years cap and roster.

I prefer that he is not on the team anymore. And I actually don't hope that Ted refused to sign a FA here and there.

mraynrand
11-14-2017, 02:45 PM
Bennett has a torn labrum, I don't think there is any doubt about that. His side said they have tests to prove it and the Packers would have known this if they reviewed his medical file. I suspect they did know because they seem competent and thorough, especially around FAs. Though the torn ACL for the new Browns WR a while back means they can make mistakes. McCarthy said they were talking about surgery dates. Unless you think Mike was taking time to bluff Marty, the coach thinks he has an injury and that means the Doc does too.

Can he play through it? Apparently so.

iow he oversold the severity of it. Same difference. A 'torn labrum' can be all over the map. You make it seem as though this was all about navigating through an injury/surgery/IR decision. I don't think so. He used it as leverage to get out of town and on the Patriots.

pbmax
11-14-2017, 03:37 PM
iow he oversold the severity of it. Same difference. A 'torn labrum' can be all over the map. You make it seem as though this was all about navigating through an injury/surgery/IR decision. I don't think so. He used it as leverage to get out of town and on the Patriots.

Yeah, I don't we are disagreeing here. He used it to either get a vacation (IR) or a hall pass (waiver).

But he is within his rights to make the call is my only point. And his history, where teams are happy not to pay him the going rate, seems to indicate this is not the only time he has been out for himself first. Like I said, Romo spoke volumes by having virtually nothing nice to say about a former teammate. No funny anecdote or boring, uplifting story. I took his silence for about as much of a condemnation you would get from an ex player about a current player not under indictment.

And given his history, I think this part of his game was known. Assuming Belichick has not outsmarted himself (he has before) its also apparently something you can work around short term. Just not without a vet QB.

Pugger
11-14-2017, 03:50 PM
Yeah, I don't we are disagreeing here. He used it to either get a vacation (IR) or a hall pass (waiver).

But he is within his rights to make the call is my only point. And his history, where teams are happy not to pay him the going rate, seems to indicate this is not the only time he has been out for himself first. Like I said, Romo spoke volumes by having virtually nothing nice to say about a former teammate. No funny anecdote or boring, uplifting story. I took his silence for about as much of a condemnation you would get from an ex player about a current player not under indictment.

And given his history, I think this part of his game was known. Assuming Belichick has not outsmarted himself (he has before) its also apparently something you can work around short term. Just not without a vet QB.

But this is really setting a bad precedence. What is going to stop another player from using this tactic to get out of town if the team he signed with isn't winning and he wants to move on to another team that is? I hope BB didn't tamper here. If Ted and Murphy find out he did you can be sure the league will come down on BB and Kraft like a ton of bricks.

esoxx
11-14-2017, 04:48 PM
So in essence, MB had every right to be a complete douche and took full advantage of his doucheability.

pbmax
11-14-2017, 05:03 PM
So in essence, MB had every right to be a complete douche and took full advantage of his doucheability.

Oh absolutely. You cannot use this leverage without being a little dishonest or at the very least, not forthcoming.

But its completely rational, it seems to me. I just could not sell out a team like that and join another after choosing surgery.

Very curious if the Packers suspect tampering or just thought Bennett was playing a game with the injury to land on IR.

pbmax
11-14-2017, 05:13 PM
But this is really setting a bad precedence. What is going to stop another player from using this tactic to get out of town if the team he signed with isn't winning and he wants to move on to another team that is? I hope BB didn't tamper here. If Ted and Murphy find out he did you can be sure the league will come down on BB and Kraft like a ton of bricks.

If they tampered, yes. But proving that is very hard. You need to be very dumb or have a Packer cellphone to have evidence. Or be judged by Roger Goodell, the man who doesn't believe in physics.

As for precedent, its hard to say. Patriots went after a player for failure to disclose just a couple of years ago. It happens and its one reason the League doesn't want guaranteed contracts. In most cases, it never gets to this because the player either lands on IR if they are good or get waived and hangs around the bottom of rosters for a while.

Bennett's case is a bit unique in that he was in demand and somehow convinced the Packers that he was gaming them so as not to play but get paid. It might be the Packers did not want that example on the roster, but I am also intrigued about the roster/cap implications of him being in IR.

The alternative would be a special kind of conditional IR where you have to have surgery to qualify. Or keep him on the roster until surgery is over and then IR him. But in both cases the player has the leverage to delay surgery.

smuggler
11-15-2017, 12:20 PM
TL;DR

Once our Season was over, Bennett wanted to sit and colect a paycheck. To which GB responded: "That's fine... If you're in post-op rehab." Bennett didn't want to play but he also didn't want the surgery. So they cut bait. He's an asshole, so if they recoup some of that bonus money, good for them.

woodbuck27
11-26-2017, 03:20 PM
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201711...&pbp=gc-pbp-cd

Miami at New England Week 12:

No sign of TE Martellus Bennett and Receiving in the Final Analysis of this Game; a 37-15 Final for The Pat's

Looking ... and OK here it is:

Martellus Bennett OUT for Week 12 .... " ...Martellus Bennett is out for New England's Week 12 matchup with the Miami Dolphins due to shoulder and hamstring injuries, according to multiple reports. (Mike Girardi on Twitter) ..."

pbmax
11-27-2017, 04:14 PM
He's going on IR.

Jim McBride @globejimmcbride
BREAKING: League source confirms #Patriots tight end Martellus Bennett will go on injured reserve. Played two games after being claimed on waivers from Packers.

Bill Barnwell @billbarnwell
If salary cap info is right, Patriots ended up paying $476,471 for 24 snaps from Martellus Bennett in 2017. Just under $20,000 per play.

Freak Out
11-27-2017, 04:56 PM
LOL @ your signature Max.

woodbuck27
01-06-2018, 12:44 PM
http://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/14/nfl-will-not-investigate-how-martellus-bennett-left-packers-joined-patriots/

NFL will not investigate how Martellus Bennett left Packers, joined Patriots

The New England Patriots will not be embroiled in another NFL investigation.

The league has no interest in looking into how Martellus Bennett left the Green Bay Packers and landed with Bill Belichick, Tom Brady and New England.

red
01-06-2018, 03:41 PM
of course they wont, its the patriots

George Cumby
01-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Kraft has photos of Goodell in a compromising position with Rex Ryan's wife's feet.

gbgary
01-07-2018, 01:32 PM
i don't care about an investigation on how but i do want them to get some money back.

channtheman
01-07-2018, 01:36 PM
Bennett the turd will forever be remembered by Packers fans as the guy who dropped the pass on the play Rodgers broke his collar bone. What a butterfinger.

pbmax
01-07-2018, 02:11 PM
Kraft has photos of Goodell in a compromising position with Rex Ryan's wife's feet.

They are both Stonecutters.

pbmax
01-07-2018, 02:14 PM
Bennett the turd will forever be remembered by Packers fans as the guy who dropped the pass on the play Rodgers broke his collar bone. What a butterfinger.

Unlike Julius Peppers and Charles Woodson, who completely turned my shallow and loosely held opinion on them around by being pretty stand up and forthright guys on the Packers, Bennett was everything I remember hearing about from his time on the Cowboys.

Kinda goofy, not really focused, not the most reliable. Poor hands, good blocker.

Remember earlier in the season when Romo let loose a black hole of silence when Nantz set him up to talk at length about his former teammate?

Best moment of silence on a Packer broadcast ever.

gbgary
01-07-2018, 02:20 PM
Remember earlier in the season when Romo let loose a black hole of silence when Nantz set him up to talk at length about his former teammate?

Best moment of silence on a Packer broadcast ever.
lol...dang it. i missed that.

pbmax
01-07-2018, 02:26 PM
lol...dang it. i missed that.

He said the most generic sentence as though it might be an introduction into a funny or insightful Bennett story. And then nothing ....

gbgary
01-07-2018, 02:36 PM
He said the most generic sentence as though it might be an introduction into a funny or insightful Bennett story. And then nothing ....

lol...sometimes the lay-out says more than any story.

woodbuck27
03-08-2018, 04:55 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000920052/article/martellus-bennett-released-by-new-england-patriots

Martellus Bennett released by New England Patriots

By Around The NFL staff NFL.com

Published: March 7, 2018 at 05:07 p.m. Updated: March 7, 2018 at 07:00 p.m.