PDA

View Full Version : Gary Horton on Favre vs. Bears defense

motife
09-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Green Bay QB Brett Favre vs. Chicago Defense
Favre has had an uneven preseason. At times he has forced the ball into coverage like he did in 2005. He faces a Bears' defense that can rush the QB, usually with only its front four, and is also able to force opposing quarterbacks to throw into tight windows in a potential Cover 2 scheme.

The biggest problem for Favre might be his protection and the most vulnerable spot in the offensive line is right up the middle. OC Scott Wells has starting experience, but most of it has been at offensive guard. He is not very powerful, but he is competitive and will battle. The same can be said for new starters Jason Spitz (LOG) and Tony Moll (ROG). These guys are high effort players, but have limited experience and lack the ability to hold up at the point of attack versus big defensive tackles.

The Bears get a great inside push with LOT Tommie Harris and NT Ian Scott, and they will collapse the middle and flush Favre out of the pocket, where he has to deal with Adewale Ogunleye (LDE) and Alex Brown (RDE), who combined for 16 sacks a year ago. If Favre can avoid the inside and outside rush, he still has to make throws on the move into a tight Cover 2 coverage, but the good news is he won't see a lot of blitzes.

The Bears' defensive backs are excellent ball hawks and close on the ball well, and if Favre hangs it up or throws into coverage, they will create turnovers. He can make some throws on the intermediate perimeter and over the deep middle versus this defense, but it takes good touch and timing -- which is tough when Favre is throwing on the run.

The key for him to be successful in this game is to be patient and dump the ball off or throw it away if the play is not there -- something the coaches have been emphasizing all offseason. He also needs the Packers to avoid getting behind early. Of his 29 interceptions a year ago, 23 came when the Packers were behind and 13 came in the fourth quarter. This is a great test for a hall of fame QB versus one of the best defenses in the NFL.

BEARMAN
09-08-2006, 05:52 PM
That is perty much how I see it. Nice post.

GO BEARS !

Gooser
09-08-2006, 06:35 PM
As soon as the Pack falls behind it only gets worse. Yet GB fans clamor for more Favre. Well, TT gave it to them, anw they learn to be careful for what they wish for.

Bears get off to an early 10-0 lead......you fill in the rest.

woodbuck27
09-08-2006, 07:18 PM
That is perty much how I see it. Nice post.

GO BEARS !

Ahhhh Bear meat.

Hot fire. . . open spit to get rid of the fat. . then bury it for a few days before feeding it to the pooch. :mrgreen:

BEARMAN
09-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Shutup MooseDrool, who asked you ? Here ya want some cheese.... (rat) ! LMFAO! :evil:
Piss yellow and Mold green ? LOL :twisted:

GO BEARS !

MJZiggy
09-08-2006, 07:57 PM
As soon as the Pack falls behind it only gets worse. Yet GB fans clamor for more Favre. Well, TT gave it to them, anw they learn to be careful for what they wish for.

The Pack pull one of their famous come-from-behind games and win it 24-10.

woodbuck27
09-08-2006, 08:09 PM
Shutup MooseDrool, who asked you ? Here ya want some cheese.... (rat) ! LMFAO! :evil:
Piss yellow and Mold green ? LOL :twisted:

GO BEARS !

Colorful !!

You'll look like this :oops: next time your through this Forum BEARMAN

Your Meat . . . on the spit "with toast".

GO PACK GO. Just da Bears.

woodbuck27
09-08-2006, 08:13 PM

The Pack pull one of their famous come-from-behind games and win it 24-10.

I think your saying that. . . the Headline reads:

Bears Fall OFF Their Bikes.

GO PACK GO !

Just da BEARS !!

BEARMAN
09-08-2006, 11:42 PM
LOL@buck ... with toast...clasic. :lol:

GO BEARS !

VegasPackFan
09-09-2006, 12:24 AM
ONE Pack win in week one against the Bears, and all these guys go away until week 16.

Tarlam!
09-09-2006, 02:37 AM
I have to admit, having pet trolls is fun! Nice exchange 'Buck!

Tell ya what I love, that is the way Jennings is carrying himself in interviews....If you don't know what I mean, check out the video archives on Packers.com!

The kid is not awed by any of it. He just wants to play football!

I have NUTHIN but grrr r.e.s.p.e.c.t for that Teddy Defensive unit, and the fact that they return all starters, well, that kinda scares me up a friggin' tree.

But, games are not won or lost on paper. As long as it's 11 vs 11, we are in a ball game!

The way I see it, the real pressure is on Da Bears! They are heavy faves to take the division. They have it all to prove. We saw how poorly they deal with pressure during the playoffs!

MJZiggy
09-09-2006, 08:11 AM
Far as I know every time the pressure's been on for the last 20 years, they've folded. When's the last time the Bears had back-to-back dominant seasons?