PDA

View Full Version : Self-Scouting: Packerrats Edition

Fritz
11-28-2017, 11:30 AM
Just as MM "self scouts" during the bye week, I thought I would take this opportunity to, well, self scout. I wonder if you might do the same. We spend a lot of time telling each other what's wrong with each other; what if we turned the lens inward?

Fritz has been deeply disappointed with Hundley's inability to come out of the gate (after Rodgers's injury) and play well. Fritz thought that with two years of watching and learning and not getting pummeled, Hundley ought to be able to step in and move the offense, albeit not like Rodgers moves the offense.

But why? After lots of pondering, here's one possible answer: Fritz is a child of the 70's. In the 70's, the game was played differently. That era featured, I believe, more running plays than any other decade, maybe ever. I did some research on that several years ago and found that was the case.

So in the 70's, a backup quarterback lived in a system where he could step in and hand the ball off while throwing the occasional pass. In addition, in the 70's, QB's who completed over 50% of their passes were considered decently accurate. Defensive backs used stickum on their hands (perfectly legal), grabbed and shoved receivers all over the field, and aimed to injure receivers who dared to go over the middle or extend themselves for a catch.

In fact, Fritz's fixation on the 70's game caused him to fear people like Mike Holmgren, who seemed to not understand the importance of running the ball. It took Fritz years of therapy (getting Patlerized and PB-ized helped) to get over that reluctance to embrace the forward pass.

So now Fritz expects a backup QB to be able to come in and run that offense, not realizing that the game is much more complicated than it was back in his childhood days. There are more defensive formations to read, more kinds of blitzes to consider, more pressure to pass the ball - you can't just run all the time in today's NFL.

In sum, Fritz's past continues to inflect his understanding of the game, or, more accurately, his misundertanding of the game. He needs to be more patient with Hundley and not expect him to get it all at once, just cuz he had a chance to learn behind Rodgers. That worked in 1973 (unless you were Scott Hunter or Bobby Douglas or the myriad of third-rate or washed-up QB's of the 70's in Packer land), but maybe not any more.

Maxie the Taxi
11-28-2017, 12:34 PM
Maxie's biggest problem is pad level. But he'll fix that by next Sunday.

hoosier
11-28-2017, 12:57 PM
Hoosier is deeply dismayed with his uncanny ability to predict a sub-500 final record that nobody saw coming. Nobody else I mean. Why do I have to be the seer?

Harlan Huckleby
11-28-2017, 01:26 PM
This is like an AA meeting.

My higher power expects Hundley to get a couple more wins, which lures Rodgers out of retirement. Not sure it is worth it, but guess I'll just roll with it.

hoosier
11-28-2017, 02:09 PM
This is like an AA meeting.

My higher power expects Hundley to get a couple more wins, which lures Rodgers out of retirement. Not sure it is worth it, but guess I'll just roll with it.

You call that self-scouting???

pbmax
11-28-2017, 02:19 PM
Rooting for the high upside, athletic guys drafted in the top half of the draft (Harrell, Sherrod, Jones, Fackrell) that struggle to find a spot doesn't seem to actually help them. Unless you are Nick Perry.

But it makes me feel better that there is hope.

SPRIGGS™!

beveaux1
11-28-2017, 02:38 PM
Beveaux1 said that it would take 4 to 5 games to gauge just how good Hundley would be and he predicted he would be an average back up QB in the NFL. He then watched the debacle in Green Bay last week and said that Hundley would never be even a poor NFL QB.

He obviously did not understand that average back up QBs can have good games and some stinkers, usually in equal parts. He has been humbled by this lack of knowledge, but will still make wild predictions in the heat of the moment even though he knows better.

bobblehead
11-28-2017, 02:55 PM
Bobblehead has always abhorred idiots who speak in the 3rd person, but finds himself doing it anyway just to follow a theme. He also thought Sherrod was going to be good, but never was that high on spriggs. Too skinny and doesn't have any nasty in him...but I love being wrong in case he turns it around.

Pugger
11-28-2017, 05:56 PM
Pugger is a dumb broad who doesn't know football from Tittlywinks.

gbgary
11-28-2017, 06:22 PM
ignorable.

mraynrand
11-28-2017, 07:04 PM
Pugger is a dumb broad who doesn't know football from Tittlywinks.

I believe the correct expression is 'teat-ly-winks'

texaspackerbacker
11-28-2017, 08:20 PM
TPB is an incurable optimist. Optimism, however, almost always equates to reality - especially when you have Aaron Rodgers on your team (and playing).

BTW, I said it when Hundley made some mistakes, and I'll say it again after he played so well: Hundley isn't the main problem/reason for the Packers losing games. It's the bunch of sad sacks that Ted Thompson provided as a supporting cast and which he has now been exposed about.

Harlan Huckleby
11-28-2017, 08:58 PM
You call that self-scouting???

hoosier is a dumb broad who doesn't know football from Tittlywinks.

Pugger
11-29-2017, 12:11 AM
I believe the correct expression is 'teat-ly-winks'

:lol:

Pugger
11-29-2017, 12:15 AM
TPB is an incurable optimist. Optimism, however, almost always equates to reality - especially when you have Aaron Rodgers on your team (and playing).

BTW, I said it when Hundley made some mistakes, and I'll say it again after he played so well: Hundley isn't the main problem/reason for the Packers losing games. It's the bunch of sad sacks that Ted Thompson provided as a supporting cast and which he has now been exposed about.

That doesn't make any sense. Rodgers is great but he can't do it alone. Nobody can. The only real difference with our offense right now is at the QB position and a departed TE so either not having Bennett is the reason or Hundley's play.

mraynrand
11-29-2017, 09:02 AM
ignorable.

I'm sorry, did you say something?

texaspackerbacker
11-29-2017, 11:59 AM
That doesn't make any sense. Rodgers is great but he can't do it alone. Nobody can. The only real difference with our offense right now is at the QB position and a departed TE so either not having Bennett is the reason or Hundley's play.

The problems were always there, but we just usually won anyway with Rodgers - piss poor O Line, mediocre talent on defense saved by Capers' scheming and time of possession, receivers who seemed better than they were because Rodgers was the one throwing to them.

Hundley is getting better - which in the Packers case means getting used to the fact that he's gonna be rushed horribly on virtually every play.

gbgary
11-29-2017, 12:04 PM
I'm sorry, did you say something?

who...me?

esoxx
11-29-2017, 03:46 PM
esoxx likes spicy chicken

George Cumby
11-29-2017, 08:39 PM
Cumby is a pet hoarder.

Pugger
11-30-2017, 11:38 AM
The problems were always there, but we just usually won anyway with Rodgers - piss poor O Line, mediocre talent on defense saved by Capers' scheming and time of possession, receivers who seemed better than they were because Rodgers was the one throwing to them.

Hundley is getting better - which in the Packers case means getting used to the fact that he's gonna be rushed horribly on virtually every play.

I don't think our O line is piss poor. When healthy our line is rated #10 in the league even after losing Sitton and Lang.

mraynrand
11-30-2017, 12:01 PM
I don't think our O line is piss poor. When healthy our line is rated #10 in the league even after losing Sitton and Lang.

I thought the run blocking has been pretty good, considering teams were cheating on the passing game. Taylor was rough when he wasn't 100%. He looks so much better now.