PDA

View Full Version : Casey Hayward wins November defensive player of the month

Guiness
11-30-2017, 11:03 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/30/casey-hayward-is-novembers-top-defender-in-the-afc/

Harlan Huckleby
11-30-2017, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the holiday feel good story. Any awards for Jared Cook? I hear Taysom Hill is lighting it up in practice.

pbmax
11-30-2017, 06:02 PM
Bring back Guiness' girlfriend!

gbgary
11-30-2017, 07:08 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/30/casey-hayward-is-novembers-top-defender-in-the-afc/

*sigh*

woodbuck27
11-30-2017, 07:21 PM

pfffff Figures.

The Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy and Coaches GREEN BAY PACKERS Draft and Development Program 'in action'.

GO PACK GO !

SURE.

Pugger
12-01-2017, 07:24 AM
Hayward signed a $15.3m contract with the Chargers. He makes around $5m a year. What is the league average for corners?

Guiness
12-01-2017, 03:31 PM
Hayward signed a $15.3m contract with the Chargers. He makes around $5m a year. What is the league average for corners?

He's the 30th ranked CB by salary, which means he should be someone's #1 guy. The Pack obviously didn't see him as that, and you can't really blame them.

ThunderDan
12-01-2017, 04:26 PM
Hayward had a great 1st year for the Pack. He got injured his 2nd season and never seemed to regain his form. I don't remember members here demanding he get resigned.

Bretsky
12-01-2017, 11:13 PM
Hayward had a great 1st year for the Pack. He got injured his 2nd season and never seemed to regain his form. I don't remember members here demanding he get resigned.

I don't think anybody was upset; we had faith in our personnel dept

red
12-02-2017, 10:06 AM
was it injuries or the system that slowed up casey

gotta remember, hyde was also just decent here, and is now a star in buffalo

were we not using them right?

and to add to it, we let cook go, he's having a monster year. we thought peppers was done, he's having a big year in carolina (and we really could use a pass rush)

we've let a lot of guys walk that have gone on to be good players

Pugger
12-02-2017, 10:46 AM

and to add to it, we let cook go, he's having a monster year. we thought peppers was done, he's having a big year in carolina (and we really could use a pass rush)

This is yet more evidence that Capers needs to "retire".

red
12-02-2017, 10:53 AM
This is yet more evidence that Capers needs to "retire".

so, you think its coaching more then self scouting or whatever, or both?

its been the debate for a while, is it capers or TT, and i think because of that question, both have managed to keep their jobs. we can't fire Capers, because it might be TT's fault, we can't fire TT because it could be capers.

so instead, we just keep sucking on defense

pbmax
12-02-2017, 11:39 AM
Not sure if anyone noticed, but Buffalo's defense has kinda trailed off as they have been dismantling the team, esp. the pass rush on the defensive side.

I expect this has affected Hyde's play. Same with Hayward, San Diego's best D feature is pass rush.

Patler
12-02-2017, 11:45 AM
I don't think GB let Peppers go. The rumor was that GB was interested in having him back, but he wanted to go home. He was born and raised in North Carolina, went to college in North Carolins and spent the first 8 years of his pro career there. He made no visits in FA, and signed the first day he could with the Panthers'

Peppers stated that while he was away from his home state of North Carolina and his home state team, and team that drafted him, the Carolina Panthers, he realized how much he missed the place saying "home is where the heart is." He also said he always wanted to return to the Panthers and repair the relationships with the team and fans and give them another chance to see him wear the Panthers uniform once again. Peppers was given the jersey #90, which was the same number he wore for the first eight years of his career while playing for the Carolina Panthers

pbmax
12-02-2017, 11:51 AM
The tragedy of Hayward is that one reason they weren't going to pay FA dollar for him was that he did not suit the Packers preferred approach with outside CBs; play press or bump man.

But he was a great interior zone defender. And now the Packers have 3 guys who can play zone: Randall, King and Jones. I think Hayward would look good playing this defense, this year.

wist43
12-02-2017, 01:10 PM
He's the 30th ranked CB by salary, which means he should be someone's #1 guy. The Pack obviously didn't see him as that, and you can't really blame them.

The problem wasn't Hayward, the problem was and is Dom Capers and the defensive coaching staff.

Our team is stuck as long as Dom, his system, and the coaching staff remain.

Zool
12-02-2017, 01:56 PM
Eventually when this many players are drafted and the passing D stays the same, it’s the scheme not the players. NFL game has passed old Don. Occasionally he dials up a beaut but it’s like twice a season now.

When the other team is calling out what D the Packers are in, its time for a change.

pbmax
12-02-2017, 04:42 PM
Eventually when this many players are drafted and the passing D stays the same, it’s the scheme not the players. NFL game has passed old Don. Occasionally he dials up a beaut but it’s like twice a season now.

When the other team is calling out what D the Packers are in, its time for a change.

I am about at this point of view. Whether Dom and scheme or assistants teaching the scheme, its been too consistently horrible. The best that can be hoped for is to have it fixed by the playoffs which has happened 2-3 times in the last six seasons. Even then we are talking average.

Bretsky
12-02-2017, 06:18 PM

I did NOT think Peppers was done

How has Hyde been lately ? Has his play faded along with the rest of the Bills defense as of late. I'm still not sure hes a 6MIL/Year Man

It appears we chose Bennett over Cook when he would not lower his price. I agreed with the choice at the time and as it turns out I was wrong, and one might say our personnel department was too

Casey was really good when completely healthy year one. I don't buy the Chargers have a defensive whiz running their show. But they appear to have a much better pass rush there

A pass rush will help a secondary much better.

Which players have we added that have really addressed that ?

Bretsky
12-02-2017, 06:20 PM
Not sure if anyone noticed, but Buffalo's defense has kinda trailed off as they have been dismantling the team, esp. the pass rush on the defensive side.

I expect this has affected Hyde's play. Same with Hayward, San Diego's best D feature is pass rush.

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

Who on this defense did we expect to pick up the slack in the pass rush ?? The great Fackrell ?

Bretsky
12-02-2017, 06:22 PM
The problem wasn't Hayward, the problem was and is Dom Capers and the defensive coaching staff.

Our team is stuck as long as Dom, his system, and the coaching staff remain.

It's Dom' fault Fackrell and Jon Ryan aren't getting a combined 25 sacks a season

Bretsky
12-02-2017, 06:24 PM
I am about at this point of view. Whether Dom and scheme or assistants teaching the scheme, its been too consistently horrible. The best that can be hoped for is to have it fixed by the playoffs which has happened 2-3 times in the last six seasons. Even then we are talking average.

J'm fine with the Dom attacks and agree it's time to let Dom go and make a change

But TT has did a horseshit job if getting us pass rushers........hence he's contributed to throwing Dom in the middle of the ocean w/o a life jacket

wist43
12-02-2017, 10:16 PM
It's Dom' fault Fackrell and Jon Ryan aren't getting a combined 25 sacks a season

I assume Dom had a great deal of input into picking those guys...

Surely he is a big part of the evaluation process, beyond the fact that he tells Ted the types of players he's looking for.

For the record, I didn't want either of those guys. I think only a very flawed process can lead a team to consistently pass on obviously better players in favor of pedestrian "good football players" as Ted calls them.

Yes, Ted is largely to blame too, but I think a new and better DC would help steer Ted on the right direction on player evaluations.

That said, I think all this chatter is moot, as dunderdummy isn't going anywhere.

pbmax
12-02-2017, 11:22 PM
^ The fact that you think coaches have a lot of say in this personnel matter makes me question whether you pay attention to anything written, said or displayed by the Packers for the last 25 years.

Bretsky
12-02-2017, 11:26 PM
I assume Dom had a great deal of input into picking those guys...

Surely he is a big part of the evaluation process, beyond the fact that he tells Ted the types of players he's looking for.

For the record, I didn't want either of those guys. I think only a very flawed process can lead a team to consistently pass on obviously better players in favor of pedestrian "good football players" as Ted calls them.

Yes, Ted is largely to blame too, but I think a new and better DC would help steer Ted on the right direction on player evaluations.

That said, I think all this chatter is moot, as dunderdummy isn't going anywhere.

You think Dom has input on who Ted drafts ??

esoxx
12-02-2017, 11:52 PM
Incredibly dumb.

Joemailman
12-03-2017, 12:04 AM
The coaches do compile reports on draft prospects. Whether they have much impact on the drafting process is doubtful.

pbmax
12-03-2017, 08:42 AM
The coaches do compile reports on draft prospects. Whether they have much impact on the drafting process is doubtful.

They also do film work. But its a tiny percentage of the total evaluation. They get meetings with Ted after it too.

But then the personnel department takes over and compiles the board and Ted drafts it.

At the back end of the draft, I can see this as having an effect (say four equally rated prospects but one stood out to Trgovac). But mostly they are looking for red flags or things scouts don't pick up on about the scheme that explains why things happen.

wist43
12-03-2017, 10:55 AM
Of course the coaches have input... but I agree with the all of you that it is on Ted ultimately.

Unfortunately, Ted respects Capers opinion and values him as a coach... misjudgments that have doomed the team during this run with Rodgers.

I saw that Matt Judon was named DP of the Week... he was drafted in 5th round - how does Ted draft Blake Martinez, Dean Lowry, and Kyler Fackrell ahead of Judon?? Something is seriously fucked in their evaluation process.

I wanted Judon earlier than the 5th. Brandi Williams (3rd); Telvin Smith, Jones (ATL), etc... the list is long. Ted spits on them all for the slugs he has.

It's very frustrating watch.

Joemailman
12-03-2017, 01:09 PM
Of course the coaches have input... but I agree with the all of you that it is on Ted ultimately.

Unfortunately, Ted respects Capers opinion and values him as a coach... misjudgments that have doomed the team during this run with Rodgers.

I saw that Matt Judon was named DP of the Week... he was drafted in 5th round - how does Ted draft Blake Martinez, Dean Lowry, and Kyler Fackrell ahead of Judon?? Something is seriously fucked in their evaluation process.

I wanted Judon earlier than the 5th. Brandi Williams (3rd); Telvin Smith, Jones (ATL), etc... the list is long. Ted spits on them all for the slugs he has.

Like Lowry better now? ;):glug:

woodbuck27
12-04-2017, 10:52 PM

Your correct again.

mraynrand
12-04-2017, 11:05 PM

especially like 2010, right?

wist43
12-04-2017, 11:42 PM
Like Lowry better now? ;):glug:

Better than Judon?? No, not even close...