PDA

View Full Version : Should Rodgers play even if we are eliminated from the post season?

Pugger
12-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Watch this clip of Cris Carter on talking about should Rodgers play even if we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkq43NIqijI

QBME
12-05-2017, 07:09 PM
Watch this clip of Cris Carter on talking about should Rodgers play even if we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkq43NIqijI

What do you think?

beveaux1
12-05-2017, 07:14 PM
Pretty convincing...if he’s healthy.

red
12-05-2017, 08:28 PM
could go either way

yeah, if we get eliminated, whats the point of him playing?

however, how do you keep him off the field if he's healthy?

its not like he can injure it any worse and miss anything meaningful at this point

MadScientist
12-05-2017, 10:56 PM
If the Packers are eliminated Rodgers collar bone will not have healed enough to get clearance to play.

Pugger
12-05-2017, 11:04 PM
What do you think?

I'm certainly no fan of Carter but I agree with him here.

Maxie the Taxi
12-06-2017, 06:59 AM
Whether we're in the playoffs or not, if Arod is healthy and plays I think he and Stubby are going to have to do a few things differently to protect him. Arod's going to have to get rid of the ball more quickly, throw it out of bounds, etc. Plus, I think he's going to have to run more conservatively, slide more quickly, etc.

Like Brady, Brees, both Mannings and guys like them who are up in age, Arod's going to have to pare it back a bit and protect himself or we'll wind up with a rerun of this season in the future.

mraynrand
12-06-2017, 08:38 AM
Watch this clip of Cris Carter

I stopped reading at this point

mraynrand
12-06-2017, 08:39 AM
Like Brady, Brees, both Mannings and guys like them who are up in age, Arod's going to have to pare it back a bit and protect himself or we'll wind up with a rerun of this season in the future.

This is already a rerun. Next time around it's on Nick at Nite.

Zool
12-06-2017, 08:39 AM
How much money does he make per year?

Pugger
12-06-2017, 09:24 AM
I stopped reading at this point

Did you watch it at all? Carter is a jerk but he clearly thinks highly of Rodgers and considers him the best in the game so he isn't a complete fool. :wink:

call_me_ishmael
12-06-2017, 10:59 AM
No way do they play Rodgers if they're eliminated AND he hasn't returned. If he has all-ready returned as starter, then I presume he will continue starting.

What is there to gain by playing your not-100% quarterback in a meaningless game when there is legitimate benefit to losing? Better draft picks, validating removal of underperforming staff/players, etc.

gbgary
12-06-2017, 11:08 AM
if they lose this weekend there's no reason to bring him back...unless all the other teams the Packers need to lose actually lose lol.

denverYooper
12-06-2017, 11:48 AM
if they lose this weekend there's no reason to bring him back...unless all the other teams the Packers need to lose actually lose lol.

If they lose this weekend, they will still not be eliminated and Rodgers would play the next week if cleared. They'd play Carolina, one of the teams they're chasing, and head-to-head tiebreak would be pretty useful in the event they finished 9-7 and either Carolina or Seattle did also.

Carolina plays Minnesota and Seattle plays at Jacksonville, so chances are good that one of them will lose.

Zool
12-06-2017, 12:54 PM
There's about $18 million reasons to bring him back.

Pugger
12-06-2017, 01:25 PM
If Aaron is cleared to play holding him back would set a bad precedence. Why should he get preferential treatment while his teammates are out there busting their tails in "meaningless" games?

call_me_ishmael
12-06-2017, 01:27 PM
Because he's Aaron Rodgers and they're not. Seriously, how is it different than holding out players before the playoffs? It's really not. This is simple. He's not getting cleared to play if he's not already cleared AND they're eliminated from contention. Money is irrelevant here.

QBME
12-06-2017, 03:09 PM
Good topic, good thread. Lot's of different angles and takes.

If GB is eliminated, don't TT and MM want to work the team to figure out where the starting point is for next year? If so, play him. Or, maybe they want to see if Brett H continues to make progress in his game, so don't play him. How is the O Line producing for all the young running backs, different looks, different conditions? Then maybe play him conservatively.

If AR is truly healed and ready to go, he's going to want to play no matter what - just a winner's mentality.

mraynrand
12-06-2017, 03:44 PM
Even if Rodgers is ready, I say start Geno Smith. We want to win games here.

QBME
12-06-2017, 04:15 PM

Hair care products to the rescue!!

Cheesehead Craig
12-07-2017, 05:40 PM
There's about $18 million reasons to bring him back.

Bring back T.O.!

George Cumby
12-07-2017, 08:36 PM

Dumbass, we’re starting Manning

woodbuck27
12-07-2017, 11:14 PM
It's all very interesting.

I simply want arguably the finest NFL Player 100% ready to play and be protected.

If the Packers are eliminated from the Playoff I see no advantage in him playing unless he insists he wants to play.

mraynrand
12-08-2017, 12:19 AM
Dumbass, we’re starting Manning

Peyton, Archie or Chelsea?

Zool
12-08-2017, 12:40 AM
Peyton, Archie or Chelsea?

What ever happened to that 3rd Manning brother we kept hearing about? Supposedly better than his older brothers. Maybe it’s him?

Bretsky
12-08-2017, 06:30 AM
If we are eliminated, NFW would I send Rodgers back out there.

I could see Rodgers coming back and if we win the last three savings some jobs and we can all be upset when Dom returns

Joemailman
12-08-2017, 06:47 AM
So when MM would be asked "Why aren't you playing Aaron Rodgers?", what should his answer be?

Pugger
12-08-2017, 07:43 AM
So when MM would be asked "Why aren't you playing Aaron Rodgers?", what should his answer be?

If Mike decides to shelve him for the season even after the team doctors have cleared him to play he'd have to fib and say the bone isn't healed. The fans and the media might not know the truth but you can bet everyone at 1265 will know. This just sets a poor precedence and can poison a locker room.

Fosco33
12-08-2017, 07:48 AM
0% chance that Aaron returns if we are out of playoff hunt.

M3 should tell everyone straight up. Football is violent sport. We lost this season and are preparing for next year. It's not worth risking an injury to the nfls best player. And then the gbp should do like the brewers did and give fans cheaper food, parking or proshop as a 'thank you'

mraynrand
12-08-2017, 08:17 AM
0% chance that Aaron returns if we are out of playoff hunt.

M3 should tell everyone straight up. Football is violent sport. We lost this season and are preparing for next year. It's not worth risking an injury to the nfls best player. And then the gbp should do like the brewers did and give fans cheaper food, parking or proshop as a 'thank you'

I approve. Your last idea would be an acknowledgement that a lot of people paid good money to watch Rodgers play and are not getting it because of a coach's decision. Maybe as a good will gesture, the medical device company Synthes could give out free mock plastic compression locking plates (for bone fixation) to fans as they come into the stadium.

pbmax
12-08-2017, 09:29 AM
What ever happened to that 3rd Manning brother we kept hearing about? Supposedly better than his older brothers. Maybe it’s him?

Cooper.

mraynrand
12-08-2017, 09:33 AM
Cooper.

He had Sterling Sharpe Disease.

pbmax
12-08-2017, 09:40 AM
He had Sterling Sharpe Disease.

His brother was better? :D

mraynrand
12-08-2017, 01:30 PM
His brother was better? :D

Late onset.

woodbuck27
12-09-2017, 07:58 AM
OK so here it is:

The Season is all on the line this week and the Packers MUST defeat Cleveland.

Then we'll see Aaron Rodgers back and he's ready health wise Vs the Carolina Panthers in Week 15.

Right now an Analyst I respect (hahaha) has the Packers at an Approx. 9% chance of making the Playoffs.

With the return of Aaron Rodgers that chance increases to about 39% and they should get the NO. 6 Seed.

The Bottom Line is an issue and now ... 'This Week 14'.

The Green Bay Packers need a Win VS the Browns or it's all over for this Season. I believe that the Green Bay Packers will defeat the Cleveland Browns but in order for that to happen QB Brett Hundley must play very well. He has to get yards through the air (HC Mike McCarthy) like he did Vs the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Cleveland Browns have a solid Run 'D'; ranking what?...6th in the NFL.

GO PACK GO !

Rutnstrut
12-09-2017, 12:49 PM
A few things to add. It's not a given that Rodgers won't come out and play a stinky game when he first comes back. Will stubby try to adjust things so AR isn't put into situations where he may get hit. By doing this Rodgers can't play as he normally would and is not effective.

Pugger
12-09-2017, 02:16 PM
A few things to add. It's not a given that Rodgers won't come out and play a stinky game when he first comes back. Will stubby try to adjust things so AR isn't put into situations where he may get hit. By doing this Rodgers can't play as he normally would and is not effective.

But even if he plays a stinky game it will be light-years better than what we've endured these past 7 weeks with Hundley in there. :-P

Bretsky
12-09-2017, 09:11 PM

Do what TT does when interviewed; say much about nothing

For example,

Our doctors have examined Aaron Rodgers and we're happy how he progressed, but we feel it's in the best interests of Aaron and the Packers Organization to keep him on IR to ensure he's 100% next year

mraynrand
12-10-2017, 07:23 AM
Some people pay serious money to watch Rodgers. For example I paid $5 for a premium ticket to see him play today and I get Hundley and The Kaiser.

ThunderDan
12-10-2017, 08:23 AM
Some people pay serious money to watch Rodgers. For example I paid $5 for a premium ticket to see him play today and I get Hundley and The Kaiser.

We pay over $100 face value for season Packer tickets. Should we get money refunded to us when ARod gets hurt?

Not directed at you specifically. Just adding to the silliness of the thread.

HowardRoark
12-10-2017, 08:42 AM
Considering the medical stuff is ultra-conservative and won’t let him play if he is even near being marginal; i.e., he’s ready to play in an NFL game.....I think the question is: if Aaron was not injured this year, but the Packers were eliminated this weekend, would you sit him the rest of the season?

mraynrand
12-10-2017, 08:45 AM
We pay over $100 face value for season Packer tickets. Should we get money refunded to us when ARod gets hurt?

Nope, them's the breaks!

Pugger
12-10-2017, 09:37 AM

Not directed at you specifically. Just adding to the silliness of the thread.

This kind of thread is on every Packers board I post on and the opinion of playing or sitting Rodgers is split right down the middle should he be cleared medically to play.

Pugger
12-10-2017, 09:39 AM
Considering the medical stuff is ultra-conservative and won’t let him play if he is even near being marginal; i.e., he’s ready to play in an NFL game.....I think the question is: if Aaron was not injured this year, but the Packers were eliminated this weekend, would you sit him the rest of the season?

I am looking forward to the responses you get to this question.

red
12-10-2017, 09:53 AM
of course he's gonna play, he has jobs to save

capers, TT and m3 all have jobs riding on him coming back and winning us a couple games, even if we don't make the playoffs

no one is getting fired if we go 8-8 or 9-7

and no other changes to the team will be made either

esoxx
12-10-2017, 04:18 PM

Man up, camel toe.