PDA

View Full Version : Vic Fangio

The Shadow
12-11-2017, 06:58 PM
It looks like Bears D Coordinator Vic Fangio will be available after the season.
I think he'd be an upgrade over Capers, who seems like a man that has watched the game pass him by.
What do you think?

George Cumby
12-11-2017, 07:01 PM
I wanted him after the Niners let him go.

Joemailman
12-11-2017, 07:19 PM
Why will he be available? Bears cleaning out the coaching staff?

mraynrand
12-11-2017, 07:23 PM
Marvin Lewis will probably be available too

The Shadow
12-11-2017, 07:24 PM
John Fox will go. There seems to be some bad blood between Fangio & the McCaskeys.

texaspackerbacker
12-11-2017, 08:16 PM
More of the same old anti-Capers crap! Don't you people get it? The Packers simply do not have the quality personnel on defense to play conventional defense. Without the creativity and scheming of Capers, the Packers would be MUCH worse off than they are in terms of yardage and points given up. We just don't have the horses to stop everything at the same time. A degree of outguessing the opponents needs to be done - thank you very much, Ted Thompson. The same is true, of course, of the Packers' offense which has been thoroughly exposed this season for the mediocre supporting cast Ted has provided for the team to go along with our all world QB.

Whenever Fangio has had success, he has had great talent to work with. It's hard to say how he would do with what Ted has provided with the Packers. I'm pretty sure it would not be as good as what Capers gives us.

Rutnstrut
12-11-2017, 08:30 PM
More of the same old anti-Capers crap! Don't you people get it? The Packers simply do not have the quality personnel on defense to play conventional defense. Without the creativity and scheming of Capers, the Packers would be MUCH worse off than they are in terms of yardage and points given up. We just don't have the horses to stop everything at the same time. A degree of outguessing the opponents needs to be done - thank you very much, Ted Thompson. The same is true, of course, of the Packers' offense which has been thoroughly exposed this season for the mediocre supporting cast Ted has provided for the team to go along with our all world QB.

Whenever Fangio has had success, he has had great talent to work with. It's hard to say how he would do with what Ted has provided with the Packers. I'm pretty sure it would not be as good as what Capers gives us.

Ok so TT and Capers have to go. That was simple enough.

Teamcheez1
12-11-2017, 08:51 PM

Amen.

mraynrand
12-11-2017, 08:59 PM
Every time someone brings up Vic Fangio, I think of Foge Fazio, that glorious bastard defensive coordinator for the Vikings. Ah well, he's unavailable.

texaspackerbacker
12-11-2017, 09:13 PM

I hope that wasn't your take from my post. TT must go, YES, but Capers is the only thing saving our D from being a helluva lot worse than it is.

pbmax
12-11-2017, 10:54 PM
Every time someone brings up Vic Fangio, I think of Foge Fazio, that glorious bastard defensive coordinator for the Vikings. Ah well, he's unavailable.

He had some great defenses.

Pugger
12-11-2017, 11:43 PM
I hope that wasn't your take from my post. TT must go, YES, but Capers is the only thing saving our D from being a helluva lot worse than it is.

TT has one more year on his contract so I'm guessing he will retire after the 2018 season.

call_me_ishmael
12-12-2017, 09:25 AM
Well if there is one pattern, it's that the Packers are consistently better on D by the end of the year than the beginning. You can't put a lot of stock in the cumulative ranking, I would value 3rd down stop ratio in the playoffs and last 4 weeks of the regular season. If those are good, he stays. If they're bad, he goes. My guess is they'll still be bad despite the pattern I perceive of improved play.

Would not object to John Fox as DC at all.

Tony Oday
12-12-2017, 09:33 AM
Capers schemes are stale and easily schemed against, he needs to be gone, he is not developing talent he can only scheme the already talented.

texaspackerbacker
12-12-2017, 09:58 AM
TT has one more year on his contract so I'm guessing he will retire after the 2018 season.

None too soon. I'm wondering, though, if the next GM is Elliot Wolf or whoever, will he just be a continuation of Ted Thompson - not doing enough to build up the team around Aaron Rodgers? Or will he get off his ass and bring in some free agents as well as doing a better job of drafting? Optimist that I am, I'm not very optimistic about that. There seems to be a culture of do-nothingness in the Packer leadership.

mraynrand
12-12-2017, 10:21 AM
Capers schemes are stale and easily schemed against, he needs to be gone, he is not developing talent he can only scheme the already talented.

The Raven's defense gave up more yards and points to the Steelers than the Packers even though they are thought by many to have better defensive players. Are their schemes stale and easily game-planned against?

Fritz
12-12-2017, 11:12 AM

I think of Jerry Burns. Now this guy could throw you under the bus and fire you up at the same time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNcBFZ26lcI

mraynrand
12-12-2017, 11:31 AM
I bet in his final years Burns got hammered a lot and yelled at the TV at the old coaches’ Home.

George Cumby
12-12-2017, 11:58 AM
I think of Jerry Burns. Now this guy could throw you under the bus and fire you up at the same time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNcBFZ26lcI

Beat me to it. Love that clip.

George Cumby
12-12-2017, 12:03 PM
I bet in his final years Burns got hammered a lot and yelled at the TV at the old coaches’ Home.

I’d like to think he puttered around his garden speaking quietly and sweetly to his peonies.

mraynrand
12-12-2017, 12:15 PM
I’d like to think he puttered around his garden speaking quietly and sweetly to his peonies.

it would ruin me to see that - or him nuzzling his little cat Pookie.

woodbuck27
12-12-2017, 01:11 PM
Well if there is one pattern, it's that the Packers are consistently better on D by the end of the year than the beginning. You can't put a lot of stock in the cumulative ranking, I would value 3rd down stop ratio in the playoffs and last 4 weeks of the regular season. If those are good, he stays. If they're bad, he goes. My guess is they'll still be bad despite the pattern I perceive of improved play.

Next Season I expect our Key Packer Brass will be:

TT and MM and Dom Capers.

Bet on that. I'll be surprized if I'm mistaken. :whaa:

Cheesehead Craig
12-12-2017, 02:44 PM
Pass on Bears sloppy seconds. I'd rather have Dennis Thurman.

Rutnstrut
12-12-2017, 03:24 PM
Pass on Bears sloppy seconds.

Yeah because the Panthers/Texans sloppy seconds is doing such a bang up job in GB.

Iron Mike
12-21-2017, 03:13 AM

That's nowhere near as hardcore as Verne Gagne giving a nursing home resident a suplex and killing him....

http://www.startribune.com/gagne-case-death-ruled-a-homicide/40326907/

mraynrand
12-21-2017, 07:17 AM
That's nowhere near as hardcore as Verne Gagne giving a nursing home resident a suplex and killing him....

http://www.startribune.com/gagne-case-death-ruled-a-homicide/40326907/

crazy story. And it got me confused for a while because Verne Gagne's son Greg Gagne is also a wrestler, and Greg Gagne (not the son) was also a Twins shortstop around the time the son was a wrestler. Too many Gagnes!

bobblehead
12-21-2017, 09:36 AM

This d this year has gotten worse as the season goes. The browns had scored on something like 2 of 30 drives coming in. I think they got TDs first 2 drives.

bobblehead
12-21-2017, 09:39 AM
I know Jim Leonard is still raw, but get him while we can and we have an opening.

pbmax
12-21-2017, 09:45 AM
This d this year has gotten worse as the season goes. The browns had scored on something like 2 of 30 drives coming in. I think they got TDs first 2 drives.

The lack of King and House hurts a lot. Its a mess + Randall in coverage at this point. And Jones is making rookie mistakes backing them up as a starting safety.

pbmax
12-21-2017, 09:47 AM
This is what defense looks like when you cannot defend the pass or rush the passer.

I think they need to trade for Joe Thomas AND the Browns #1 pick next year for Jeff Janis and Brice.

mraynrand
12-21-2017, 11:58 AM

Perry and King out and House lost early in the game. Waddaya gonna do?

mraynrand
12-21-2017, 11:59 AM
The lack of King and House hurts a lot. Its a mess + Randall in coverage at this point. And Jones is making rookie mistakes backing them up as a starting safety.

oops. need to read through the whole thing before posting.

denverYooper
12-21-2017, 12:23 PM
Mike says
I'm done with Fangio
He treats me like a ragdoll
He hides the television
Says I don't owe him nothing
But if he comes back again
Tell him to wait right here for me
Or just try again tomorrow
I'm gonna kick tomorrow
Gonna kick tomorrow

Freak Out
12-21-2017, 12:53 PM
Jane says? lol

Freak Out
12-21-2017, 12:54 PM
So here's thought...maybe a stupid one. How about offering Wade Phillips the HC job and have him bring in an offense coordinator?

George Cumby
12-21-2017, 01:04 PM
So here's thought...maybe a stupid one. How about offering Wade Phillips the HC job and have him bring in an offense coordinator?

Fuck that. Maybe as D.C. but not as HC.

Bretsky
12-21-2017, 01:34 PM
This is what defense looks like when you cannot defend the pass or rush the passer.

I think they need to trade for Joe Thomas AND the Browns #1 pick next year for Jeff Janis and Brice.

And then add Spriggs and Fackrell for past considerations

Bretsky
12-21-2017, 01:36 PM

I'd be more excited about somebody slipping me a 5 to try out some more Caramel

Bretsky
12-21-2017, 01:38 PM
I know Jim Leonard is still raw, but get him while we can and we have an opening.

This is actually a good thought; Rex Ryan has stated right after he changed jobs one of his first goals was to go sign Leonard as a free agent cause Leonard pretty much ran his defense. Scary Rumors flyin all over he's getting all kinds of offers but he loves Madson and wans tostay inWI.

Seems a matter of time before he leaves. If he's leaving it might as well be to GB

bobblehead
12-22-2017, 06:59 AM
This is actually a good thought; Rex Ryan has stated right after he changed jobs one of his first goals was to go sign Leonard as a free agent cause Leonard pretty much ran his defense. Scary Rumors flyin all over he's getting all kinds of offers but he loves Madson and wans tostay inWI.

Seems a matter of time before he leaves. If he's leaving it might as well be to GB

Bottom line is you can't argue with success. They don't get many 5 star recruits, but the D this year was incredible. Maybe we can pull a neon deon and fly him back and forth from madison to green bay all year.

pbmax
12-22-2017, 08:12 AM
Mike says
I'm done with Fangio
He treats me like a ragdoll
He hides the television
Says I don't owe him nothing
But if he comes back again
Tell him to wait right here for me
Or just try again tomorrow
I'm gonna kick tomorrow
Gonna kick tomorrow

Can't ever turn them off if it comes up on the radio. But almost 30 years later still don't know how much I like them.

Guess that's an answer in itself.

pbmax
12-22-2017, 08:14 AM

PAY THE MAN FOR CRAP'S SAKE!

Bretsky
12-23-2017, 09:46 AM
PAY THE MAN FOR CRAP'S SAKE!

Agree; take half of your allotted asst coach money for raised...and give it to Leonard

Joemailman
12-30-2017, 09:02 PM
http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/30/packers-connected-to-bears-defensive-coordinator-vic-fangio/

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, current Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Vic Fangio is a name to “keep an eye on” if the Packers move on from Capers.

Fangio was Capers’ defensive coordinator from 1995-98 in Carolina and from 2002-05 in Houston.

The manner of exit for Capers could determine whether or not Fangio is interested in the job. It’s possible he could be hesitant to take over in Green Bay if Capers, a long-time coaching ally, is fired. It’s equally possible that Capers would serve as the connecting force between Fangio and the Packers if he decides to retire.

The Shadow
12-31-2017, 11:17 AM
Dom does have great initials for a Defensive Coordinator, but then again, so did Dick Clark.

red
12-31-2017, 11:40 AM
Would Fangio run the same broken defense that capers ran?

That would be my big concern

Joemailman
12-31-2017, 11:46 AM
Would Fangio run the same broken defense that capers ran?

That would be my big concern

Did it look broken when the 49ers were beating the Packers on a regular basis a few years ago?

ZachMN
12-31-2017, 11:48 AM

No, instead of Wade I say Rex Ryan. Arod doesn't need hand held anymore. OC that he has rapport with and let Rex do his magic. That is a winning the big one formula.

Gotarace
12-31-2017, 11:50 AM
Give me http://www.azcardinals.com/team/coaches/james-bettcher/6063f361-528b-42ab-af20-ddba7929ebf9 this man is young and full of energy with a huge upside. His numbers speak for themself...

The Shadow
12-31-2017, 11:50 AM
No, instead of Wade I say Rex Ryan. Arod doesn't need hand held anymore. OC that he has rapport with and let Rex do his magic. That is a winning the big one formula.

That might be shooting ourselves in the foot.

George Cumby
12-31-2017, 12:01 PM

Lol

George Cumby
12-31-2017, 12:03 PM

Does Rex have one foot out the door at the NFL Network?

pbmax
12-31-2017, 02:56 PM

I am with this double entendre.

I'd take Wade by a toe.

Teamcheez1
12-31-2017, 03:08 PM
I am with this double entendre.

I'd take Wade by a toe.

Wade is well-rounded with both feet on the ground.

Tony Oday
01-08-2018, 05:41 PM
He is available as of tomorrow.

Deputy Nutz
01-08-2018, 08:51 PM
Next Season I expect our Key Packer Brass will be:

TT and MM and Dom Capers.

Bet on that. I'll be surprized if I'm mistaken. :whaa:

1/3 ain't bad

pbmax
01-08-2018, 09:53 PM
Petting has gotten his feet wet already.

The Shadow
01-08-2018, 09:56 PM
Get. Fangio. Get. Fangio.

The Shadow
01-08-2018, 09:57 PM
Pay. The . Man.

Smidgeon
01-08-2018, 10:01 PM
Pay. The . Man.

Under. Contract. Until. Tomorrow.

Pugger
01-08-2018, 10:39 PM
Get. Fangio. Get. Fangio.

I wonder if the new Bears' HC will want to keep Fangio around...