PDA

View Full Version : CHRISTL BLOG ""WHAT'S THOMPSON THINKING" ?

Bretsky
09-08-2006, 09:40 PM
FRIDAY, Sept. 8, 2006, 10:17 a.m.

What's Thompson thinking?
It's common among NFL owners, GMs, coaches, players, etc., to turn to people they have a history with or some connection to. Take Ted Thompson for example. After his playing career ended in 1984, he tried to get into coaching, but couldn't land a job. Tried the business world and didn't like it, and was drifting through life when Ron Wolf hired him as assistant director of pro personnel in 1992. Thompson's connection to the Packers? None other than that he played eight years in Houston with Mike Reinfeldt, who was the Packers' chief financial officer at the time and who had a history with Wolf.

Thompson climbed the ladder in Green Bay to director of pro personnel, then director of player personnel before joining Mike Holmgren and Reinfeldt in Seattle. When Thompson returned to Green Bay as general manager in 2005, it was largely because of his history with the Packers and that he was a good fit at a time when the organization was being reshuffled.

Nothing wrong with any of that. That's how the NFL works.

But twice in the last year, Thompson's judgment in reconnecting with people from his past was enough to at least raise eyebrows.

The first was when he interviewed his old coach, Wade Phillips, for the Packers' head coaching job before hiring Mike McCarthy. Had Thompson hired Phillips, fans and media would have reacted as though he just hired the second coming of Scooter McLean. Not that Phillips isn't a good football coach and that Thompson maybe couldn't learn something from the interview, but the perception is that Phillips is a retread.

So why bother with the interview?

The latest was when Thompson brought wide receiver Koren Robinson, a player he had drafted in Seattle who had recently been charged with drunken driving among other felonies, to Green Bay for a visit.

No GM wants to leave any stone unturned in the pursuit of talent. That was one of the keys to Wolf's success.

But, again, why bother in Robinson's case? Why alarm the good fans of Green Bay that this guy might some day be driving their streets polluted to the gills? Why suggest that with the return of losing so might the dark days of the 1980s when players were piling up more rap sheets than touchdowns?

In both cases, and particularly the most recent, Thompson raised questions about his judgment and instincts.

Why with so little to gain?

Bretsky
09-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Initial thoughts are Cliffy is trying to create a blog out of nothing here.

MJZiggy
09-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Initial thoughts, Christl really does read this forum. Someone started a thread on the topic of NFL connections just the other day.

mraynrand
09-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Initial thoughts, Christl really does read this forum. Someone started a thread on the topic of NFL connections just the other day.

Cristl is questioning the Wade phillips and Robinson meetings. Obviously Phillips wasn't hired and Robinson probably won't be signed. Much ado about nothing

If Cliffy reads the Forum, I hope he submits a question for the "Cleft Crusty" post Bears game chat on Sunday!

HarveyWallbangers
09-08-2006, 10:00 PM

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=3341

the_idle_threat
09-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Frankly, I hope Cliffy doesn't read this forum ... I think he'd be complaining to Mad about how we pirate all his shit on here. :twisted:

superfan
09-08-2006, 11:58 PM

Hey, that's my material he's stealing! :D

Guess he's trying to even the score.

Fritz
09-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Uncle Cliffy, who appears to dread his job, had a blog to write by a certain deadline, couldn't think of anything much, and at the last minute whipped up this piece of doo-doo.

Much a-doo-doo about nothing.

red
09-09-2006, 08:47 AM
he has to read it

not only did we have a thread about connections, but we also had a thread about, why in the hell would we bring in k-rob?

hi cliff

my guess is he's patler

RashanGary
09-09-2006, 09:09 AM
Cliff had a good artical on the stars of the team needing to shine. He mentioned Favre, Green and Woodson. He also mentioned Hawk and Jennings.

I think Hawk and Jennings are more likely to emerge than Green and Woodson. I think Nick Collins could be thrown into that list too.

It was a good piece by Cliff. I'm not one of those guys who doesn't like an artical unless it's positive but I've gotten sick of Cliff assuming guys will not be great as soon as they're picked. Hawk and Jennings, Collins, Rodgers..we never know and neither does Cliffy. He likes to make it seem like the Packers are doomed. I just don't think that is the case.

Whatever the case, I respect the guys opinion and it was nice to see him at least mention that it is possible that some of the young players emerge. Hell, I think Hawk is probable to be a probowl player and Jennings also has a real chance to be special. I'm a little worried about Collins but I think he'll get some oppertunities to make plays. Hes deceptively fast for a saftey and he hits like a mac truck. I think he'll make a few big plays this year too.

Whatever the case, GB sucks this year and if the point of his articals and low opinion of the team only streches as far as this coming year than I agree. If he thinks the Packers are in for a long term doom and glooms spell then I am not on board and it's nice to see him start to recognize the good young talent that is being brought in.

HarveyWallbangers
09-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Cliff always talks about the team needing stars. We don't have too many players that are guaranteed to be stars this year, but we have more candidates than we had last year, so that's encouraging. Collins could take a step up in his second year. Hawk could be one. Favre. Ahman. Woodson. Perhaps Jennings--although that will likely take a year. Plus, we have some good solid veterans like Tauscher, Driver (he's a star in my book), Clifton, Kampman, Barnett could take another step up this year, Harris, etc.

Terry
09-10-2006, 04:22 AM
Well, first of all, I thought it was a cheap, snide, pointless article. A bored sports writer looking for something to make noise about. I don't have the disrespect for journalists in general that it seems most football fans have, but this is a bit much.

Secondly, I think a phrase like "among other felonies" is just plain insidious. First of all, it's nearly impossible to commit just one felony. You rob a bank, you also conspired to rob the bank. If you went in by day, you also threatened deadly force; you go in by night, you've destroyed private property. You try to get away, you've also either resisted arrest or you fled the scene of a crime or you interfered with the solving of a crime. You've got four felonies for just going out to rob the bank. He's been caught driving drunk a number of times, plus he broke probation for the same crime. But it's not enough to say he's a repeat drunk driver, he's got to be a drunk driver among other felonies.

Thirdly, Thompson might well hire the guy. The rumour is that they've already come to an agreement in principle, but that it won't get done (signed) until after the first game.

Patler
09-10-2006, 08:52 AM
he has to read it

not only did we have a thread about connections, but we also had a thread about, why in the hell would we bring in k-rob?

hi cliff

my guess is he's patler

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Scott Campbell
09-10-2006, 09:03 AM
he has to read it

hi cliff

my guess is he's patler

Patler isn't that ornery.

Patler
09-10-2006, 09:06 AM
he has to read it

hi cliff

my guess is he's patler

:D :D :D :D :D

FritzDontBlitz
09-10-2006, 09:16 AM

maybe they brought koren in cuz he has talent?

MJZiggy
09-10-2006, 11:18 AM
he has to read it

hi cliff

my guess is he's patler

I'd put money on Patler being Bob Harlan before Cliffy, but that's just me. Patler knows way more than Cliffy does :lol:

Patler
09-10-2006, 11:29 AM
he has to read it

hi cliff

my guess is he's patler

I'd put money on Patler being Bob Harlan before Cliffy, but that's just me. Patler knows way more than Cliffy does :lol:

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: